[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay Help Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 126

File: ItJda3zDhi1Cap2nAzjL1d2cNBQ[1].jpg (21KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
ItJda3zDhi1Cap2nAzjL1d2cNBQ[1].jpg
21KB, 540x540px
If you need help on a cosplay, use this thread
>>
File: Ainz_040.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ainz_040.png
2MB, 1366x768px
What would be a good type of fabric to get for the cape and cloak?
>>
I've been searching for a good tutorial to make natural silicone/latex/urethane foam skinning for a muscle suit. Like not super suit sort of stuff but something to mimic natural skin (as well as these mediums can)

Trying to cos lean buff reverse harem boys who wear low cut shirts and have uncovered arms and stomachs.

Someone recommended looking into tutorials for puppet making. Any advice, gulls?
>>
>>9291922
duchess satin would work pretty well
>>
>>9291970
That fabric looks perfect. Thank you so much.
>>
File: render5.jpg (33KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
render5.jpg
33KB, 1500x844px
I would like to build this weapon (Anas Biotic Rifle from Overwatch). I've never build something like this before so I don't even know what a good start could be. Suggestions on materials are very appreciated.
>>
>>9292921
It does look quite complex so I wouldnt recommend it for your first try at prop making.
If you nonetheless want to try it, then look into eva foam, you will certainly find loads of tutorials on how to make guns/rifles
>>
>>9292921
I would suggest watching Kamui's various video tutorials on her YouTube page about building different guns.
>>
>>9292622
no problem, a good cheapish brand is casa satin which you can get at joanns. also keep in mind that if the "right" side looks to shiny it might be better to use the slightly more matte wrong side
>>
How would I go about making her top I've sketched out the parts separately and I can include it in a response if that'll help anyone see what I'm thinking for this
>>
>>9293113
>>
>>9293113
If you need help with terms to look up patterns:
For the sleeves: look up paned sleeves
The little thing at the top: capelet
The actual top would be easiest if you made a base and added all the details on top of it.

I think you have a good plan in >>9293114. It seems like you'd just have a ton of layers.
>>
I want to make Gundam's scarf but I'm unsure of what material to use. All I can think of is fleece but knowing his character I bet it's something much more elegant. As for the design, I found a tutorial that just printed out the design on card stock, cut it out with an exacto knife, and painted it on with fabric paint. I feel some gunmetal studs would look nicer but may weigh everything down depending on the fabric.
>>
>>9293124
you probably want a knit for the scarf. as for the jacket, studs would look best. if you use some sort of thick twill it should hold up.
>>
>>9293184
Knit sounds good! I just realized that the design is only on the jacket and not the scarf so I'm not sure why the tutorial I looked at put that in there. Anyway, thank you!
>>
>>9293188
The symbols on the bottom of the scarf anon..
>>
>>9293274
Fug. I'm on my phone and the picture I originally posted was a bit dark. I didn't see the symbol on any of the other pictures I had saved of him either.
>>
File: T2SxibXYlaXXXXXXXX-59374594.jpg (118KB, 480x721px) Image search: [Google]
T2SxibXYlaXXXXXXXX-59374594.jpg
118KB, 480x721px
I want to order this Taobao cosplay, and I'm debating whether or not a petticoat would be appropriate. If so, would it be better to overshoot or undershoot the petticoat length (since I have to guess how long of a petticoat I need)?
>>
>>9293317
Overshoot. A petticoat that's too long can be rolled up and pinned/sewn in place at the waistband (think like rolling up a roll of paper), but if it's too short it's going to show as a dip on the overskirt where the petticoat ends, depending on the fluffiness of the petticoat.
>>
New to working with leather and I do all my sewing by hand: What stitch to use for joining leather to fabric?

>Leather is scrap from an upholsterer. Thickness is 2mm and...dunno htf to measure rigidity come to think of it but it squeezes down to just over 1mm if you tighten the caliper and flops under its own weight if you hold a piece up. Stiffness level is like butterface. Holes are punched and ready to roll because fuck attempting to normally sew this stuff & particularly fuck thimbles.
>Fabric is a thick knit. Bias tape for edge finish; fabric there is plain sturdy cotton woven.
>Structural seam these form will be a stress point that sees lots of wear.
>Thread is .8mm waxed.

Do I backstitch the seam like I might if both materials were fabric? Dual needle saddle like they're both leather? Something else?
>>
>>9293317
I think petticoats are appropriate for almost any Touhou cosplay. And like the other anon said, overshooting is better, especially if you have some basic sewing skills to alter it. Be sure not to let the petti peek though. Just because it's cosplay and not lolita doesn't mean it looks good like that.
>>
Trying to up my wig-bang cutting game by getting actual hair cutting tools instead of using random scissors and calling it a day.

This is the first result on Amazon. Is this enough? Or any other kits on Amazon that you'd recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/Travelmall-Thinning-Haircutting-Hairstyling-scissors/dp/B01H7CJHDO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482191317&sr=8-1&keywords=bang%2Bcutting&th=1
>>
>>9293113 again, would it be better if I did her torso part as fabric or worbla? Not many people have cosplayed her so I can't find one that'll show which method might be better.
>>
This is probably a dumb fucking question, but I'm a total noob
How could I go about making a black corset brown? Painting it? Fabric? Would that look like shit? I have no idea.
>>
>>9293813
It depends on the material, but in general, I'd say, "buy a new one."
>>
>>9293113
Anon, I'm doing Elise too and what I did was draped out half of the front of her entire top and half of the back in muslin and drew out the sections with a Sharpie. I'm going to use a regular cotton fabric as an underlayer and then cut out my sections on vinyl and attach it to the top of the layer so it'll be more comfortable to wear.

The sleeves I'm still trying to figure out but I'm going off of a bishop sleeve pattern in my patternmaking book.

I traced off my hand and modified the design to get the glove shape, I just split it so it's longer on one side and shorter on the other.

For the skirt, I'm using a bell skirt pattern that I have that can be gathered a bunch at the waist to give the shape; it'd also be helpful to put horsehair braid at the hem to keep the shape so it doesn't collapse under all the weight.
>>
File: IMG_1607.jpg (1MB, 2944x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1607.jpg
1MB, 2944x2448px
>>9293822
Here's a picture of my patterns in case I caused any confusion.
>>
>>9293823
Anon you're amazing!! This is incredibly helpful to me!
>>
File: MUH BBY.jpg (141KB, 650x800px) Image search: [Google]
MUH BBY.jpg
141KB, 650x800px
>>9293831
I'm glad I could be of help, I've been in your same position ever since I decided to cosplay Elise, haha! Just let me know if you have any questions, I'll be lurking!

And now for my question, I'm still new to making props; for her staff head, should I use expanding foam to get the shape and what should I use for the blue piece? I was thinking of using something transparent and then putting some type of light inside it.
>>
>>9293806
It'd probably be uncomfortable as fuck to do the whole thing with Worbla, but you can do certain parts of it if you have experience working with Worbla? I wouldn't go out of your way for it.
>>
>>9293835
If you live in a place that's swamped with Christmas shit right now, try to see if there's a light that's big enough for that. A lot of Christmas lights have that general shape, you'd just have to either rewire it so it can turn on by itself or just use the outer shell and get a new LED for the inside.
>>
>>9291738
Dumb question but here goes...is it possible to style Arda's Silky line or do they really not hold product? I had NO luck with a lacefront from WigIsFashion and I am guessing the fibers in the Silky will be similar to those blasted nightmare ones from WiF. They make the most perfect color I need in Silky, but not their Classic line, go figure.

Thanks for any stories/experience. I'm pretty good with wigs, so this isn't babby's first wiggu project.
>>
File: IMG_2692.jpg (367KB, 908x842px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2692.jpg
367KB, 908x842px
What would be a good fabric for this coat. I ink wool is "historically" accurate. And is recommended by my patterns, but wool irritates my skin really badly.

I've heard drill or a heavy linen can be good for long coats but I honestly have no idea.
>>
File: Cainhurst fag.jpg (175KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cainhurst fag.jpg
175KB, 720x960px
>>9293984
A bottomweight 100% cotton twill or heavy canvas duckcloth. It also distresses really well.
>>
I'm going to build hte boots out of Eva foam but how should I construct them so I can actually walk? Have my actual shoes touch the ground, pad out most of the interior with upholstry foam and put thick elastic under my real shoes?
>>
>>9293985
Thank you! Is that you in the pic? looks awesome.
>>
what would be a good way to do these dark purple areas? I was thinking fur but it looks like it's supposed to be the same material for the under skirt so I don't know.
>>
>>9294559
Since the borders are so blurred I'd just try painting fabric dye or fabric paint right on the material. You could still use a mohair or something with a bit of a furry texture because texture added to 2D designs is usually a plus.
>>
>>9294559
it's totally fur
>>
>>9294030
You do realise that eva foam is literally made for walking on right? like the no-slip cushiony mats you put on the floor of garages and classrooms are usually all eva foam, and ugg boot soles are often made of it too if I remember correctly. That said, if you want to do it the way you described for comfort reasons, it sounds like a decent plan. Just be careful not to let your real shoes show through or prevent you from putting on the cool bottom/back details
>>
>>9294691
Yeah but not for grinding into pavement. I haven't done boots like this but Im guessing I'll have better control if regular shoes are on the ground. I'm thinking the bottom of the prop boots could be about an inch off the grourd which shouldn't look weird at most people's eyelines
>>
>>9294740
Actually I think my regular shoes could have the "rocket boosters" covering them and the larger boot could be a separate piece
>>
File: WinchesterM14.jpg (301KB, 1280x917px) Image search: [Google]
WinchesterM14.jpg
301KB, 1280x917px
>>9291738
Hey /cgl/, /k/ here. Looking to get some info if anyone can provide some. I wanted to get a Magazine belt for a rifle made but I dont know who could make one. I was intending it for actual use but also planed to do some cosplaying with it in the Future. Anyone know where I could have one made? Trying to make it look like an old USGI WW2 M1 Garand belt but have the pouches big enough to hold 2 mags in each pouch for pic related

pic of a M1 Garand belt
http://7f707af5cce54c2d5f77-e3b87bed69e5e75268a1a04297bb727a.r98.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0aa9d39765634cd6ff9e5b085da19619/a/m/amu1066__6_4.jpg
>>
File: 1481774041143.jpg (129KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1481774041143.jpg
129KB, 700x700px
>>9294766
Praise KeK
>>
I'm trying to make myself a decent bodysuit pattern using a modified version of Yaya Han's pattern (this is my first and I didn't want to go in blind). My first draft gave me a huge camel toe, so I made the crotch on the front and back equally longer, but when I tried it on again it was too loose at the front and riding up at the back, and I'm not sure how to fix this. Would it be better to lengthen the entirety of the back pieces, or only lengthen the crotch at the back? Would I need to alter leg pieces to accommodate for this?
>>
>>9295767
Yaya's pattern is terrible if you're not her height. You might need to lengthen the torso, not the crotch pieces if you're taller than 5' 2"
>>
File: Roe-roe_transp.png (1MB, 1582x1349px) Image search: [Google]
Roe-roe_transp.png
1MB, 1582x1349px
How the hell should I attempt these tights? It's obviously two different materials, one shiny and the other rib knit? Or patterned with lines? How do I make it so the square edges don't stretch and look out of shape on me?

>>9294559
I would go with a fur, since it looks moth-y.

>>9295767
As the other anon mentioned, add length to the torso. It's about balancing it to your body.
>>
I'm made my full set of armor pieces (medieval style, full body armor, everything is worbla and yet to be sanded or painted) but I have no idea the best way to go about actually attaching it to myself/wearing it. If anyone has any related tutorials that'd be great.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 579x577px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 579x577px
While it wouldn't take me too much time to vector out the text to make some of these fans I was wondering if anyone knows what font it is so I can save some time. I'm going to laser cut the letters out of flocked velvet scrapbook paper then glue it down to some sparkly shit
>>
>>9296084
not sure but have you tried using identifont to guess?
>>
>>9295900
http://m.fullmetalsam.webnode.com/armor-strapping/
I've always found this one pretty handy for understanding how each piece attaches, and for the method itself just the usual worbla strip through d-ring thing
>>
>>9295862
Could you cover some thin craft foam with a fabric, simulate the lines in the craft foam so it comes through on the fabric, then slap that entire construction on your tights as you're wearing them? Other alternative would be to add interfacing to the knit part and sew but that would be complex and you'd have to be stretching it left and right to sew it together...
>>
File: DataTNG.jpg (15KB, 325x396px) Image search: [Google]
DataTNG.jpg
15KB, 325x396px
Planning a female Data costume (so like exactly the same but slightly longer hair in the same style so it doesn't look like I forgot to bind or anything) but I'm sort of stumped on a few things, the first being what shade to paint my skin.
His skin doesn't seem to be pure white, it's more like a very pale yellow.
Mixing paint for the face and neck application doesn't seem like it would be too hard (mixing white and a light flesh tone would probably do it) but I'm not sure how to achieve the sort of dewy finish without it rubbing off on my clothes because powder/spray would just make it matte
The other issue with paint is the hands. I think alcohol activated would be my best choice but once again it's a tricky color. How well does it mix?
As for the wig, I was thinking Area's Cady would do well if I slicked it back to get that sort of shiny, synthetic, look.
>>
Working on a Sarkhan Vol cosplay (specifically unbroken), first time cosplaying. I know the boots and leggings are Persian style but I have no idea on what that whole belt sash thing is or where to even start with that. Any ideas?
>>
Suggestions for a cape fabric? I need something that drapes well or heavyweight. I was going to use performance fabric as I've done in the past but I wanted to see what others might recommend. Think superhero.
>>
>>9296364
found with google: According to "Aliens and Artifacts," Ben Nye Ultra Matte Foundation (CN-0); set with Lumiere Luxe Powder; Iced Gold (LX-2) with a small amount of Aztec Gold (LX-3) worked in with a powder puff. Dust off excess with a light brush. The lips are covered with a small amount of BN Fireworks Bronze (FW-11). BN Cake Makeup, Light Ivory (PC-02) with a small amount of MagiCake Aqua Paint Maize (LA-89) is applied to the hands. Instead of using water to moisten the sponge, use BN LiquiSet (MLB-11). Then top with the same Lux Powder. Hit your hands with BN Final Seal (FY-2)... allow to dry and hit again.

For a better write-up with pictures, see if you can find a copy of "Star Trek: Aliens and Artifacts."
>>
>>9296236
I didn't think about using craft foam, maybe I'll try that. Thank you!
>>
>>9296473
If you're asking what style it is, I have no clue. But for construction tips, I would flesh it out in a non-stretchy fabric so you can get the fit right as well as make notes and markings on it, and then move on to whatever fabric you plan on using for the finished product. Faux leather, perhaps?
>>
File: IMG_6231.jpg (119KB, 600x910px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6231.jpg
119KB, 600x910px
I'm trying to find a wig in the right color for my Nikumi cosplay. I think I'm looking for something like pic related, not super yellow but not light either so it doesn't look harsh. I looked around Arda wigs and found this https://www.arda-wigs.com/collections/classic-short/products/lulu-classic?variant=27836356422 which seems acceptable, and I'm leaning towards the "light blonde" color. What do you guys think?
>>
>>9296717
This is extremely helpful, thank you
>>
What do people normally use to black-out teeth for characters that are missing teeth?
I've seen a few people with their teeth colored in but I have no idea what is safe to use/if there is anything safe and non-staining to use.
>pic related
>>
>>9296948
https://www.mallatts.com/store/theatrical-and-halloween-costume-accessories/fake-teeth-fangs/black-tooth-wax-for-how-to-black-out-a-tooth.html
>>
>>9295827
>>9295862

Actually I'm a midget, the pattern was too long for me initially so I shortened it. But I probably didn't consider that I have a long torso. I'll try lengthening the entire thing, thanks.
>>
File: Capture3.png (122KB, 408x376px) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
122KB, 408x376px
Any idea how easy or difficult it might be to replace or cover the straps on these? Can't find the right colour anywhere
>>
>>9297361
What color are you looking for?
>>
File: Maya_Fey_Trilogy_Artsm.png (199KB, 319x718px) Image search: [Google]
Maya_Fey_Trilogy_Artsm.png
199KB, 319x718px
>>9297371
I'm doing a Maya cosplay so they're supposed to be the same sort of raspberry purpleish colour matching her clothes (I also understand they're supposed to be the taller variety, so far I've found a lot of accurate ones shape-wise but not in my size yet). Hoping to toss them into an upcoming taobao order if I can
>>
>>9297385
(or hell even if I could find some good ol sandals that look close enough, but that seems even harder to find)
>>
>>9297389
Geta are not comfortable. When I was Maya I got some of those sandals with foam platforms and just sewed the right color fabric over it padded out with foam.
>>
>>9297418
Fair enough, thanks for the heads up! Going back to my original question for a sec then, how hard was that/how did you cover the straps if they're not easily removable? Even with careful handstitching I just worry they'll look super messy
>>
>>9297450
It's not really hard that comes down to your own skill level. All you can do is stitch it so stitches would be on the underside of the strap. There are probably normie tutorials for customizing flip flips you could use
>>
>>9296835
Alright, I'll definitely make a note of that, but it looks like it's held on by some kinda belt thing. How would I go about constructing that?
>>
File: coord simulator.png (525KB, 568x725px) Image search: [Google]
coord simulator.png
525KB, 568x725px
left or right?
>>
>>9297522
right. Gives more visual interest.
>>
File: coord simulator part 2.png (1MB, 1453x660px) Image search: [Google]
coord simulator part 2.png
1MB, 1453x660px
>>9297525
Got it.
Which of these shoes go best with the outfit (if any)?
>>
>>9297738
One of the white ones, imo, either on the far left or the far right. What is this for?
>>
>>9297738
I think one of the first three pairs would be good
What game is this from?
>>
Has anyone ever seen a fabric that looks even remotely the lining of Doctor Strange's movie costume? I've looked in all of my local stores (not American so no Walmart or such) but I can't find anything that looks like that so I'm thinking about just using a solid dark red fabric instead...
>>
File: 6mVjZhm.jpg (46KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
6mVjZhm.jpg
46KB, 450x450px
what kind of texture would look best for a Mabel Pines wig? straight with curls at the bottom, or a slightly frizzy texture throughout the length of the wig? Follow-up, related question: does her little heart-ahoge mean anything about her hair texture, and how should I go about including it on the wig (layers/flipping, short curl, building it like a separate piece like for ahoge wigs...?)
>>
File: 2982276394_1852170584.310x310.jpg (24KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
2982276394_1852170584.310x310.jpg
24KB, 310x310px
This is the best wig I could find for Nazrin from Touhou. But all the places that sell it are sketchy Chinese places. Any suggestions for other wigs, or a better place to buy it from?
>>
File: superman-costume2.jpg (147KB, 709x1000px) Image search: [Google]
superman-costume2.jpg
147KB, 709x1000px
Can anybody link me to a tutorial online for making a custom rubber suit like pic related. It's for my own superhero design. Or even if there is a place to buy a similar suit.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
Hey guys, i need help finding a short black jacket for this guzma cosplay. Also how should i do the white zig zag part? I was thinking of using white duck tape for that but i wanted to know if theres any other way i can do.
>>
What kind of cloth is he using for that flag on his back?
>>
>>9298265
For the pattern part, I always say, do what you can get away with. Most of the time, perfection isn't required. Most people won't care as long as it gives off the impression of the design.
>>
>>9298265
A cleaner look would be a "freeze paper screen print" Google it. Or sewing down strips of wide white twill tape.
>>
>>9292989
>>9292981
Thank you! I'll give it a try
>>
Anyone know where I can find a Shimakaze outfit that'll fit a 6'0, broad shouldered male? Or am I gonna have to bust out the sewing machine
>>
>>9300016
Have you asked the crossdressing thread?
>>
>>9300046
Going there after this, it's pretty slow tho. Figured someone here might know.
>>
What are my options for no pantylines when wearing some skintight cosplay?
>>
>>9300305
Tape ya beav
>>
File: FFXV_Aranea_Highwind.png (250KB, 526x739px) Image search: [Google]
FFXV_Aranea_Highwind.png
250KB, 526x739px
Anyone have any pics or know where I can get good back shots of aranea from FFXV. Specifically the back of her chest piece since the rest of her is pretty easy to see or find
>>
Probably a pretty dumb question but when making structured wigs with foam bases to shape the wig fibers over, what type of foam do you guys usually use? All the tutorials I've seen focus on the processes of dewefting, attaching and covering it rather than what it actually is in the first place
>>
>>9300305
specialty dancewear and similar seamlesss "no-show" panties > thongs any day of the week.
No clue why so many cosplayers are adamant that thongs work pefectly for their bodysuits when in reality you just end up with a perfect outline of both their string and lumpy ass
>>
>>9298601
a bad choice, that's what
>>
>>9298225
>rubber
>>
File: IMG_0184.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0184.png
1MB, 750x1334px
How to get the pleats into the skirt? It's a 3/4th circle. I have made something like this before but it's like a sudden mental block and I just can't wrap my head around it
>>
File: doalewdie.jpg (912KB, 913x1150px) Image search: [Google]
doalewdie.jpg
912KB, 913x1150px
I'm doing a Rider of Black Astolfo cosplay, in his casual form.

But I can't find good IRL equivalents of the pretty regular outfit.

Can anyone please help?

Pic related
>>
>>9298601

looks like the kinda durably but not too rough stuff that you might see on an american flag or slightly-nicer than outside canvas.

I hope this helps despite not being able to find a link to the material.

You could cut the symbols and rabbit out of white cloth, and clean up the edges and sew them on with white string.
>>
>>9298601
If you have a Joann Fabric nearby look for their duck cloth.

>>9300424
The fabric choice isn't bad but the painting is crap.
>>
>>9300452
It's like a curved cut with a single pleat at the top?
>>
>>9301215
http://www.drapesmadeeasy.com/swags-and-cascades.html
>>
File: IMG_7128.jpg (499KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7128.jpg
499KB, 1920x1200px
I'm gonna take this on and probably make a shitshow of it. Anyway, I was thinking I'd find a base flight suit (there are a few around) to work off of but unfortunately most of them have pant legs that end around the calves. I don't even know what the fuck I'm asking. General tips would be nice. If you have the time. But it's ok.
>>
>>9301299
>I'm gonna take this on and probably make a shitshow of it
Attaboy
>>
File: IMG_1309.jpg (473KB, 1000x983px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1309.jpg
473KB, 1000x983px
How would I go about making a pyramid head for a genderbent cosplay?
>>
>>9301554
I'd say cardstock, prepped as well as possible. Even cardboard would be super heavy with something that size
>>
It's my first time working with Plexiglass (I'm making a visor) and I'm having a hardtime scoring it and getting complex lines. I don't want to go out and buy a dremel just yet so I'm wondering could I heat it up in a oven and then cut it. For reference it's 1/8 thick and it's acrylic.
>>
>>9301671
you can't really get complex lines with a score. Scoring works by initiating a fracture, and fractures only like to travel is straight lines. I'm drunk but you get the idea. I'd say jigsaw, sand, then flame polish.
>>
>>9301694
or laser cutting if you can swing it
>>
File: Jane_Lane_(Daria).png (9KB, 120x288px) Image search: [Google]
Jane_Lane_(Daria).png
9KB, 120x288px
Need help trying to find a men's red shirt like Jane is wearing.

Also, what kind of hairstyle does she have? Her hair is so complex. My friend needs to know what to do with the wig. I'm not that good with cutting hair.

This is the wig I bought. They said that having the longer hair gives you more to work with:
https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/19375.uts
>>
File: 1476849996292.jpg (43KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
1476849996292.jpg
43KB, 640x627px
>>9301708
why would you buy such a low quality wig, bud? who hurt you? get a better wig and throw that thing in the garbage.
for the shirt just check ebay you could probably get one pretty cheap or check your local thrift stores.
>>
>>9301737
Sorry man. I guess I cared more on appearance than quality. It's the first wig I got, so it was a start. I'm just getting into cosplay and that's why I'm here for advice. Where's some great places to get wigs?

I'll try checking around Goodwill for the shirt. There's one down the road. They have some pretty cool stuff.
>>
>>9296857
I'm thinking boobs
>>
>>9297418
Did the exact same thing, but I painted the fabric on the straps the right color (bought them in a lighter color so it would show properly)
>>
>>9301554
The same way you would make a regular pyramid head.
>>
>>9301708
It's not a shirt, it's a jacket.
>>
>>9297831
Just print it yourself, nothing else will look right
>>
File: 13762513546451.jpg (121KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
13762513546451.jpg
121KB, 1000x666px
>>9301747
arda-wigs.com is a good place to start. there are more places but personally i go there cause their quality hasnt let me down.
also the other anon is right it looks more like a blazer or jacket instead of a shirt.
>>
>>9301844
Okay. What hairstyle should I look for for Jane's hair?
>>
>>9301671
If it's super complex you'd be better off finding someone who can laser cut
>>
File: filia.jpg (50KB, 736x659px) Image search: [Google]
filia.jpg
50KB, 736x659px
Can anybody help me figure out how to style Filia's wig? I want to make it look as accurate as possible, as I've seen other girls doing the cosplay but not putting enough effort/wig layers(? on it. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9301985
it's literally just a blunt cut anon
>>
>>9302007
Make foamcore or felt bases with wire for stability for the prehensile bits. Wrap it around with wefts in a natural way. You can also glue wefts lengthwise after wrapping widthwise for a more natural thickness. It will make the hair look thicker and keep the foam from peeking through.
>>
File: Mei_Hatsume_Color_Scheme.png (144KB, 225x302px) Image search: [Google]
Mei_Hatsume_Color_Scheme.png
144KB, 225x302px
Feels like ringlets aren't really what I want here. Probably wool dreadlocks to get a more dense "rope" that's can be shaped with a bulbous bottom. Would it be easier to work the shape into either end of a double ended dread or a single dread and turn it around so the part where the loop usually attached is the end instead. Also should I go with pre dyed wool or paint it after?
>>
File: FBB_Iowa_440_Full.png (545KB, 652x820px) Image search: [Google]
FBB_Iowa_440_Full.png
545KB, 652x820px
Does anyone have good advice, tutorials, etc for methods of patterning and building large intricate pieces like pic related? Also propmaking in general?
>>
File: 11-Ultimate-Cyclops.jpg (147KB, 500x759px) Image search: [Google]
11-Ultimate-Cyclops.jpg
147KB, 500x759px
Looking for some recommendations on shoes or boots Scott Summers might wear that aren't big yellow rain boots. It doesn't necessarily have to be any particular version of him, as I'll be wearing the First Class jumpsuit. Suggestions welcome!
>>
>>9302204
my biggest advice to you is to use light but durable materials, and make everything far more sturdy than you need it. the weight that's going to be on the pieces near your hips (if you're making iowa) is going to be intense and you dont want it to flex or break. try to put any weight pressure on a more sturdy part of the prop (like if you're using any doweling or pvc to hold everything up) instead of putting it on the inside of the prop. For patterning, figure out how big you want the prop to be first. Then divide it into simple sections (artillery vs the bottom piece maybe). Get a "rough" blueprint made only for the purpose of knowing your scale, and then work out your actual blueprint after. There's no worse feeling that spending hours on a blueprint only to realize your scale was wrong. Don't cut corners and don't rush your work- take it one step at a time. Big props are very easy to mess up because they depend a lot on shape and having enough detail. If you're missing a set of lines or grooves, it'll show because it's a big area that will look "blank".

Also be prepared to repaint it every con. You're going to be banging into things and chipping your paint occasionally.
>>
>>9298265
Guzma's fucking hot, good luck.
>>
File: IMG_5601.jpg (252KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5601.jpg
252KB, 720x1280px
>>9298265
>>
File: IMG_5600.jpg (75KB, 422x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5600.jpg
75KB, 422x750px
>>9302491
>>
File: FUCKING JACKET.jpg (210KB, 1293x950px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING JACKET.jpg
210KB, 1293x950px
Need help finding a good basis.
I have finished the helmet and the gun.
i have gotten the cavalry gloves, half-chaps and the pants about right but for the love of god can't figure out the name for such a style of jacket.
Someone got a clue on how such jackets are called? Furthermore anyone reckon what material the middle flame should be made of (aka should i just sew a fabric flame on or go the metal route)?
>>
>>9302491
>>9302495
this belongs in the cringe thread
>>
File: X-men-first-class-mutants.jpg (67KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
X-men-first-class-mutants.jpg
67KB, 700x466px
>>9302232
....in First Class they don't have the yellow shoes though, pretty much everyone has just generic black sneakers
>>
File: 1459587963912.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1459587963912.png
228KB, 358x408px
>>9302491
>>9302495
>>
>>9302356
Thanks so much anon, I honestly hadn't even thought of the weight distribution.

If I could trouble you with one more question though, do you have any recommendations on materials other than EVA foam? I figured smaller parts could be done with EVA but it could make bigger parts quite heavy, I'd think.
>>
File: pendant.png (116KB, 300x366px) Image search: [Google]
pendant.png
116KB, 300x366px
I need some craftingexpertise...
This pendant would obviously look the best if made out of plastic. Is there any plastic-ish materials that you can get in a normal craftstore, or is there any other materials that could work?
>>
>>9302863
Sintra and Styrene are the only ones you can cut with regular tools. Styrene is the only one that MIGHT be at a craft store but more like a specialty model-making type place. Sintra is lighter and easier to work with but you'd have better luck at a sign-making store and seeing if they sell scraps. For advancing in cosplay you gotta start thinking outside the Michaels there's a lot of other places were you can pick up materials
>>
>>9302863
Use a milk carton.
>>
Stupid question, but how do you ship unstyled wigs? I usually receive them in bag-like things, but I never shipped one out before...do they go in a box as well?
>>
>>9303107
bubble mailers!
>>
how do i style a wig and cut it down to this length without potentially screwing it up?
>>
File: image.jpg (289KB, 1658x1290px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289KB, 1658x1290px
Could anyone help me identify which articles of military garb Bandit wears?
>>
File: gdiyuki.jpg (217KB, 1542x704px) Image search: [Google]
gdiyuki.jpg
217KB, 1542x704px
does anyone know how i could securely attach wings to a backpack like on the right? i'm going to be modifying it for my yuki takeya cosplay and i can't really think of a way that won't involve them falling off halfway through the con

>>9303311
you're gonna want to look up an undercut tutorial. you can't really do something like that without splicing two wigs together

>>9302863
check out shrinky dinks. they have packs of them at craft stores. you basically print your design out on the paper and it bakes into plastic in the oven
>>
File: image.png (237KB, 399x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
237KB, 399x453px
>>9302491
>>
>>9303700
if you are making them out of fabric, just handsew them on. if not sewing snaps on the fabric and gluing them on the wings should work
>>
File: command.jpg (34KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
command.jpg
34KB, 450x450px
>>9303725
>>9303700
I would just hand sew them on with big stitches that can be pulled out later or use command strips meant for picture hanging if you're worried about leaving holes
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 194x259px
how would I add red LEDs for the eyes without making it hard to see myself? I was thinking about making sort of a ring around each eye, but I don't think that would look right. I'm thinking of using a black morph suit head and black gloves because the con i want to go to is in the summer and i don't want to wear an entire other layer. if anyone has any better suggestion for the suit or eyes that would be great
>>
looking for a good tutorial on making the Iron Helmet from skyrim
>>
>>9302491

Return the wig and get this wig from party city. Its 19.99 but its way better

http://m.partycity.com/products/mad%20scientist%20costume%20accessory%20kit?kwid=mad%2520scientist%2520accessory%2520kit&qcid=&ref=ci&extcmp=pla%257CGoogle&gclid=CNOOjLavndECFQWHswodQZAEMg
>>
>>9302491
>>9304103
better yet, just take a grocery bag and will it up with other backs, run it over a few times and then tie it under your chin
>>
File: hWoY6EB2_400x400.png (417KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hWoY6EB2_400x400.png
417KB, 400x400px
Anyone have any tips on how to make a fake undercut for a wig? I'm using Arda's long magnum wig and was wondering if I should just taper it extremely short or if there was a better way (I am 100% assuming there's a better way). Pic related, it's for a Rohan cosplay.
>>
>>9303468
I think it is either a AM-95 helmet or a variation of it.
The outer vest you can usually get in a Airsoft, military surplus or BB gun store, it seems to be standart.
The inner will be only available in military surplus.
For the jacket check out biker or helicopter shops.

So just head into a military surplus, most things are there.
>>
>>9304055
Meh close enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNZ5ynYL-s
>>
>>9304186
learn2google
http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2014/07/fake-buzz-cut-hair-faux-fur-dying.html

you can't do an undercut wig with just one wig by itself
>>
File: IMG_1551.jpg (50KB, 814x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1551.jpg
50KB, 814x640px
I'm a bit lost on how to do her hair. Was thinking of doing it somewhat like Chiaki Nanami, but it feels like it isn't big enough.
>>
File: Sly3-carmelita1.png (162KB, 820x1320px) Image search: [Google]
Sly3-carmelita1.png
162KB, 820x1320px
I'm thinking of making a Carmelita Fox costume, skin suit and mask etc. Would it be considered as a 'furry' though? I couldn't think of anything worse desu..what do you guys think?
>>
>>9304433
Honestly yes.
But go for it.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 324x156px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 324x156px
>>9304355
Try getting a wig with a pretty decent thickness and tease some of the outer layers and coat them with hairspray. It'll make it look bigger like you want. (pic-related is an example without any extra wefts put in)
>>
>>9304659
That seems like the perfect idea, can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks Anon.

Speaking of Acerola, I was looking at Uniqso for fitting lenses. But I can't figure out if she has blue/purple/grey eyes.
>>
>>9305606
They look blue to me.
>>
File: ppdraugr.jpg (68KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
ppdraugr.jpg
68KB, 575x431px
>>9303990
You can do something like pic related. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that you need to add a solid backing to the LED to stop it from shining into your eyes. You can do all sorts of stuff for that, like cast a resin cabochon around your LEDs and adding a backing, or even something as simple as just painting the side of the LED facing your eyes black.

>>9304433
People will call you furry, but who honestly still gives a shit? "Nothing worse", give me a fucking break, you huge pansy. I've cosplayed Undertale and Pokémon and I don't consider myself a furry. If you want to cosplay a character, just do it.
>>
General fuku question: I'm making a sailor outfit and was wondering what kinds of common pitfalls to look out for? ie,
>general peeves in sailor cosplays?
>>
>>9305809
Are you talking about all sialor fuku or just the Sailor Mon ones? There's a ton of tutorials to google but I guess by biggest piece of advice is getting good, thick spandex and paying attention to the stretch of the grain when cutting the pieces and getting a stretch needle. Triple stitch setting is my preference
>>
>>9305838
The Sailor Moon ones! And thanks for the tips; other common things I've heard are
>wear dance tights
>don't overstuff your hip rolls, though I'm not sure what that means - how can you tell if they're overstuffed?

Always down to hear more about what to avoid.
>>
File: Flcl_chara_03.jpg (41KB, 600x279px) Image search: [Google]
Flcl_chara_03.jpg
41KB, 600x279px
I'm trying to be less lazy/more accurate with my cosplays, help me out here /cgl/.
What kind of jacket should the base of this sweater be? Previously I've used a windbreaker sweater as a base, and then a navy hoodie but I hate the front pockets that every hoodie has because they aren't accurate.
Could anyone recommend either the style of the base sweatshirt I could use to make this top (A full zip sweater with only the breast pocket), or a pattern to make it and an idea of what material would be best?
>>
File: kiki20.jpg (54KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
kiki20.jpg
54KB, 600x385px
>>9305867
Secondly, what would be the best way to translate a big puffy bow like this to real life?
I have an idea to use a red normal headband for the base, and then attach the bow to that, but how should I make the oversized bow without looking stuffed or drooping? Would lining it with interfacing do the trick?
>>
>>9305867
Thick knit hoodie of a slightly nicer quality than a Champion sweater.

>>9305870
Depends on the look you want. If you want more plush stuff it with a chunk of upholstry foam instead of stuffing if you want more like a real ribbon experiment with fabric layered over really wide horsehair braid or interfacing.
>>
>>9305613
thanks anon you've convinced me to do it!
>>
>>9305981
Good on you!
[spoilers]Post pics somewhere, I fucking love the Sly games.[/don'tworkhere]

>>9305870
There's some heavy duty interfacing out there which would definitely work, or you could maybe look up some lolita headbow tutorials?
>>
>>9291738

Leather/pleather paint question, does the "Neutral" Angelus paint exist to be mixed with regular acrylics or will that go badly? They don't quite make a shade I need.
>>
File: 33d.gif (158KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
33d.gif
158KB, 600x542px
*urgent*
i made some armsocks with black tights, and the anti-fray i used near the seams is visible (kinda white, looks gross) is there any way i can disguise it? maybe a black marker, black paint or something?
>>
>>9306819
it would probably not be very good, get the two closest shades from angelus and mix them
>>
File: Uncle Death.jpg (25KB, 300x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Death.jpg
25KB, 300x523px
Alright, so I plan on cosplaying this dude soon, but his hooded coat has been troubling. Is there a specific name for this sort of coat? Obviously without the tie strings down the middle, but mostly the hooded part with the neck wrapping looking thing?

Only piece of the puzzle Im missing
>>
>>9307005
A duffle coat, friend
>>
>>9307043
Neat, thanks! Literally perfect.
>>
File: image.jpg (278KB, 1280x1043px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
278KB, 1280x1043px
Any recommendation on how to do the white pattern on the skirt? I don't have a machine that would work for embroidering and I could do it by hand but I don't think I could get it to look as clean as I'd like. I could also hand paint it on but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips for drawing out the pattern on a circle skirt? It would be so much easier to do if it was a rectangle skirt in terms of straight lines.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (17KB, 245x400px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
17KB, 245x400px
I want to Cosplay this year as Harley quinn from injustice 2 i really like her outfit i started it last year but never finished i was stuck on the jacket design, anyone know the best way to put design on a pleather jacket? Would dying it work? Also would really help if anyone knew the style of the jacket i tried to find one similar but had no luck
>>
>>9307131
you really want that first!!!!!!!!! cosplay, don't you
>>
Figured this is the right thread for this. I commissioned someone to make a cosplay for me at the beginning of November. Communication was pretty smooth and I paid them for the cosplay. They told me that the cosplay would be finished by March at the latest because they had some other cosplays to finish up ahead of mine. I said that was fine since I need the cosplay before May. There was no contact during December since I knew it was the holidays but I shot them an email after Christmas asking for any sort of updates (I sent a few measurements but she never asked for anything specific which I thought was odd). She didn't answer the email so I messaged her on Facebook letting her know that I'd emailed. She saw the message but still didn't respond.

I'm worried that she's going to try and scam me out of my money but I'm not sure if I'm being hasty. I can't find any commission reviews which makes me more nervous. Her work looked great which is the main reason I chose her but idk. I was thinking of sending a message saying if I don't hear back by the 31st that I'm getting a full refund. I have a back-up if need be but I would need to give them enough time to make the cosplay. Is this a good idea or should I wait?
>>
>>9307131
You can do the pattern in sections, since it looks like it repeats. Just make sure it's not straight at the bottom, but curves slightly, so it'll wrap right onto the circle skirt.
>>
Not answering to messages does seem a bit suspicious even if she's busy. There's also the fact that she didn't ask for measurements (unless you asked for a very simple costume that's possible to make even with the most basic information).
However, I'm sorry but who'd commission a person with no reviews? Maybe I'm just paranoid but that in itself seems like a red flag, unless they're just starting.
>>
>>9306386
If i post them they'll be here on /cgl/ :)
>>
>>9307279
I think you're fine. Now if it reaches February and you don't hear anything, you can start getting worried.
>>
>>9307297
She's a semi-popular cosplayer that I found her through the cosplay commission group on Facebook. She commented on my post saying she'd be excited to work with me. I was impressed by the work I saw which is why I went ahead with it. I honestly should've commissioned the same person I did last year but I wanted someone that had made bodysuits before.

>>9307324
Alright. I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm also not about to lose out on my money.
>>
>>9307275
This game has been announced for awhile what the fuck is your problem anon? This game was announced in 2015 and there's a few cosplays out there already, so it isn't even a first!!!!!!! cosplay. It's a design I like from a series I love.

>>9307287
On second thought I think I'll do it on paper first and then scan it in to clean up the lines. I'm thinking of just doing two or more sections cut similarly to pizza slices, and then folding those in half so its symmetrical. Not sure why I hadn't though of doing it in sections, thanks anon!
>>
File: Untitledfsd.png (32KB, 243x190px) Image search: [Google]
Untitledfsd.png
32KB, 243x190px
>>9306985
b-bump
>>
What would be the best material for the blue parts on the jacket? I looked into blue carbon fiber vinyl but from what i know it's difficult to sew.
>>
>>9307410
>demo barely out
>series I love
kek, alright, whatever you say
>>
File: Screenshot_20170104-034023_1.jpg (170KB, 1510x850px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170104-034023_1.jpg
170KB, 1510x850px
I want to incorporate some LED's into the back and sole of a pair of shoes so they'll light up, but I'm unsure on how to do that. I recon I'd need to add an extra layer to the sole of the shoe so I could put the LED between the layers but I'm unsure of what materials I could use. Any tips or thoughts?
>>
>>9307131
You could do the embroidery thread in the bobbin trick? Fill the bobbin with embroidery floss and sew it upside down.
If it's lined with white and done in a good quality velvet you could do it as burnout. Buy fabric dissolving formula and burn away the velvet so the pattern shows through.
>>
>>9308470
You realize Nier Automata has a prequel and the Nier series is a spin off of drakengard right? All that have been out for years?
>>
>>9308470
> Drakengard - 2003
> Drakengard 2 - 2005
> Drakengard 3 - 2013
> Nier - 2010

Nice bait 10/10 made me reply
>>
File: totally_not_waifu.jpg (2MB, 2955x3879px) Image search: [Google]
totally_not_waifu.jpg
2MB, 2955x3879px
I'm looking to buy a prop Falchion. I need it to be the older style of the sword, but all I an find online is the newer Awakening style with the hole in the forte. And I'm okay with it being made of metal or wood or good quality foam. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>9308204
Try black fabric paint, the kind that comes in a pen not the puffy kind. I've used it on arm socks before.
>>
File: CNwl_J6UAAAgopn.jpg large.jpg (129KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
CNwl_J6UAAAgopn.jpg large.jpg
129KB, 1024x769px
I'm looking to work on Ral Zarek from Magic The Gathering. I can break it down well enough, but I was wondering what kinds patterns you guys would recommend for the the shirt, pants and boots to use as a base.
>>
>>9308856
>>9308817
Because YoRHa 2B is in every one of those. Right. It's okay, you can defend yourself as much as you want; you'll still look like a shitty first!!!! cosplayer
>>
File: Ainz_full1.jpg (910KB, 1126x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Ainz_full1.jpg
910KB, 1126x1014px
>>9291922
Another question: would it better to have the cape and cloak different fabrics or slightly different colors?
>>
Does anyone know of any alternate patterns to make a jacket like the purple one on this pattern?

I haven't had any luck finding this actual pattern for sale anywhere, so I was wondering if anyone knew alternatives.
>>
Where do you usually find someone for commissions, other than Google? I need to make 3 Overwatch cosplays, avoiding sewing as much as possible, so I was thinking of finding someone to make me a Widowmaker bodysuit. I just really don't want it in that shitty spandex lycra material. Any recommendations based on personal or second-hand experience?
>>
>>9311594
There are some cosplay commission groups on Facebook with some pretty good people there.
>>
Hi, I'm trying to make a bunny suit cosplay, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some tips.

I'm still looking for pattern/model, also, how does one make a seamless edge on the outfit?
>>
File: IMG-20161226-WA0013.jpg (42KB, 526x739px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161226-WA0013.jpg
42KB, 526x739px
Anyone got good reference images of the back of Aranea? Tried to take some myself but its really hard due to her cape thing
>>
>>9311662
I bought Jessie's pattern and you have to do a LOT of mods. She's tiny and has a short torso, if you follow her pattern exactly you end up with a suit that ends under your tits and doesn't close, even when you follow your measurements. Which makes sense, bunny suits should be patterned for each person - they aren't very forgiving.

It'll be a lot of trial and error, buy a bunch of muslin for mock ups. The seamless edge on the leg holes is done with bias tape, the top part is just lined making a clean edge (I recommend stay stitching on the top to keep the lining from popping up)

I don't think Jessie sells her patterns anymore, but even starting with a princess seam bodice and altering it can work out really well - you'll honestly do just as much work starting that way as you would with her pattern. The important thing is structure and boning. Look up corset tutorials, the suit is three layers up to the waist line - a lining fabric, a stiff layer (twill is recommended), and your fashion outer fabric. Use fabric that is woven - stretch fabrics don't lend themselves well to the structure. You will need to use boning and plastic boning usually isn't good enough - it can warp over time and look bad, so using steel boning is usually best. Spiral steel is more flexible so that's the one most people will use. At the waist point there's only the lining and outside fabric to prevent bulk in the crotch area. Bunny suits should be closed with a zipper- invisible ones look nice but a standard one tends to be stronger.

The stiff layer is where the boning gets attached to. In a bodice you'd usually put your boning in your lining, but with the three layers you want your boning on the stiff structure layer. Again, look at corset tutorials because there's more boning involved than you probably think, including some next to the zipper.
>>
>>9307131
Draw the pattern out in puff paint and stitch over it?
>>
I need to make my latex cat suit shinny. Does anyone have a favorite brand of latex polish?
>>
>>9311594
If you are not allergic to latex, Ladylike Latex (etsy) did a great job with my Haydee cosplay bodysuit. Fits perfectly and makes my body look great
>>
>>9311567
If you can't find another, just pick an unlapped jacket and make your own pattern for the button tabs.
>>
File: gladion.png (107KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gladion.png
107KB, 500x500px
I think I've got the rest more or less figured out, but wtf is up with his hood and how do I get it to do what it's doing?
>>
File: gaFxiTz.jpg (407KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gaFxiTz.jpg
407KB, 1920x1080px
does anyone know what the item is on this necklace? thanks in advance!
>>
File: ss2016-07-09at11.02.50.jpg (107KB, 472x606px) Image search: [Google]
ss2016-07-09at11.02.50.jpg
107KB, 472x606px
so i want to make this costume and i would like to make it out of the same foam as those puzzle mats they have in kindergarten

does any one know what those are made of or ware i can get a similar materiel

a flexible pvc foam would be great since i takes paint well and can be glued
>>
>>9312573
You can buy eva foam at Walmart, you can buy thinner foam at Michaels.
>>
>>9312325
Thanks for the suggestion! I took a look at cosplay's forum for commissions and I haven't come across anyone who uses latex or the like that has a decent rating.
>>
>>9312051

Do you have any tips on how to attach the boob pads? Should it be part of the corset/bodice, or be separate and instead attached to the top of the corset/bodice?
>>
Cosplaying maki this year and idk which wig to get... Please help with recommendations! The wigs from arda/epic look too red compared to the pictures I've seen but could also be editing lol
>>
>>9312822
depends what look you're going for. her shade differs drastically across the anime, art, and cards from the game.
>>
>>9294766
>http://7f707af5cce54c2d5f77-e3b87bed69e5e75268a1a04297bb727a.r98.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0aa9d39765634cd6ff9e5b085da19619/a/m/amu1066__6_4.jpg

I would just find an army surplus store in your area and add to/modify it as needed. Also be careful about firearm related props, a lot of cons are quite anal about them.
>>
>>9312371
There's no existing pattern for this you'll have to experiment wit sewing a spiked hood with foam blocks to stuff it
>>
File: Maki_cool_sr595_t.jpg (161KB, 512x720px) Image search: [Google]
Maki_cool_sr595_t.jpg
161KB, 512x720px
>>9312825
Planning on doing this Sr costume
>>
>>9309177
I never implied that she was in any of the other games. I said she was a design I liked from a series I loved. I don't understand why that's such a hard concept for you to understand. Her design was revealed back in 2015 anon, if I wanted to do a first!!!! cosplay I would've made it within weeks of her design initially coming out. Since her release there's been plenty of trailers and the demo has come out so I can get even better reference photos of her outfit. I don't understand why you're so anal about people cosplaying something new if they're actually going to put time and effort into it.

>>9312055
I was thinking about doing something like this as I've seen it done before. This is what I was trying to refer to when I said I could do it by hand.
>>
Anyone know if non-overlapping horsehair braid will act differently than overlapped ends on the hem of a skirt?

I'm working on a skirt where there's a break in the hem and yet I still need the hem to retain a round shape
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (65KB, 471x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
65KB, 471x800px
Putting together this costume and I'd like an opinion on if I should do the armsocks & tights method, using body paint for my face & stomach (and risk having to do touchups the rest of the day) or if I should get a third pair of tights and try to make a body stocking to cover my midriff.

a third option option is to just get a few yards of lycra and make my own tights/leggings and armsocks with a section covering my waist.
>>
>>9313353
Combine the horsehair braid with one or two wires to maintain the desired shape
>>
File: BoFII_NinaArtwork.png (658KB, 468x967px) Image search: [Google]
BoFII_NinaArtwork.png
658KB, 468x967px
So I've done plenty of research on how to build the wing frame and mounting them with a corset bracket but I'm stuck on the feathers. Real feathers are expensive so I'm looking at alternatives. I have access to a laser cutter so I can mass produce something from a light material. I'm not a fan of that thin packaging foam wing people seem in love with. Maybe organza?
>>
File: IMG_1499.png (139KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1499.png
139KB, 500x715px
So this would be my first actual challenging cosplay and I was curious as to what I should do to make this guys mask, the texture almost looks like wood. And what I should do for his full body because it pretty much all looks like wrapping
>>
>>9291738
I need an opinion before I go any further on my cosplay. I'm doing a character with horns, and I've never done that before. I have the horns ready, but should I attach them directly to the wig or use a headband? I feel like attaching them to the wig runs the risk of it ruining the wig/moving the wig all about the place, but I fear that using a headband would look tacky.
>>
File: mkb-4895b.jpg (39KB, 592x392px) Image search: [Google]
mkb-4895b.jpg
39KB, 592x392px
What on Earth is this ribbon named? I've tried searching "satin frill ribbon" and numerous other terms, but my searches are coming up with nothing.
>>
>>9312432
Assuming you mean the metal pendant and not the bow, it looks like a miniature thurible/censer. I had no idea what those were called, learned something new today.

>>9312573
EVA foam, if you're in America these should be easy to find, in Europe it's a bit trickier since they were banned for a while.

>>9313406
At that point I'd just go with a morphsuit/bodysuit.

>>9313718
Can't really help with the mask, but it doesn't really look like wood to me. By which I mean, I think you can definitely get away with a resin cast or pepakura version, if you can find files.
If you have access to bandages, you can glue them onto a bodysuit. Remember to stretch the undersuit by either wearing it or stuffing it to your dimensions.

>>9313974
You can attach them through the wig, if you want a headband. Google "attach horns through wig" on Images and you'll find several methods depending on the heaviness of the horns.

Good luck everyone!
>>
>>9313982
Try ruffle trim, even though that is a very generic term and might give you other results too.
>>
File: Mitsuru.jpg (121KB, 710x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Mitsuru.jpg
121KB, 710x1010px
Any idea on where I could find a jacket like this? I realize I'm going to have to make the buttons, studs, and tassels on but I'm having trouble finding a jacket with this particular style. I tried searching stuff like "stand collar white satin jacket" and got nothing remotely close.
>>
File: Knipsel05.png (401KB, 820x491px) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel05.png
401KB, 820x491px
As a first real worbla/eva foam project I'm making Judgment Kayle. I'm taking as much time as I need but I still lack knowledge.
What would be the best material to make the chains and bird? I was thinking thick EVAfoam for the wings and worbla for the chains and birdhead, but maybe this will get kinda expensive (I have a big budget but if it can get just as pretty from other material that's perfect ofcourse)
Any tips/critisism?
>>
>>9312573
most home improvement stores and walmarts have these, sometimes it (EVA foam) can also be referred to as anti-fatigue flooring, if you look in garage and flooring sections you can sometimes find big long rolls of it. Here in Canada I usually get the rolls from Canadian Tire or Giant Tiger
>>
>>9315058
for the chains just buy halloween chains and paint them desu. they're not that bad at all, and using worbla for them is a huge waste of money (and will weigh a lot). for the bird make it with pink insulation foam and then cover in worbla. oshley did a similiar thing for a bird/lion set of pauldrons i think recently and it turned out good, you can look at wip pics of hers to get a good idea about it. I don't think it should get too expensive. You can probably do this with one jumbo sheet, maybe a little more if you use it for any other armor on her.
>>
File: image.jpg (154KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154KB, 540x960px
Hey help thread. Two questions. Im working on Arkham Knight Scarecrow, and its the first cosplay Ive ever done with a full mask (pictured). My questions are

1. Should/what do I wear underthe mask? Some kind of hood or hairnet?

2. What kind of makeup should I use to color around my eyes to fill the empty space created by the eye holes?
>>
Does anybody know what type of haircut he's got going?

Also, what kind of lapel does his suit have? It looks like a peaked lapel but it could also be a notched lapel.

I can post more pics if necessary
>>
General sewing question: When trying to sew a 4-way stretch fabric with a regular sewing machine is there any specific stitiches/finishing methods to use? I want the stitches to be stable but still let it stretch enough. I hear using a serger is much better for that but I don't have the money for one yet.
>>
>>9315770
most sewing machines have stretch stitch setting, that'll look like a straight stitch but do exactly what you're talking about
>>
>>9315770
>get stretch machine needle
>use tear away or melt away stabilizer
>use trpile stitch setting
>>
File: 1461369354831.png (16KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1461369354831.png
16KB, 259x224px
Are there any anime cons near lithuania?

I am from Lithuania and i want to travel a bit to the nearest country's. I already went to WinterCon, Latvia, Ryga and will probably going to Animatsuri, Estonia, Tartu.
>>
>>9315630
Haircut is called a curtain cut
>>
File: main2_raito.jpg (86KB, 820x800px) Image search: [Google]
main2_raito.jpg
86KB, 820x800px
I've got two questions on this guy. Number one, I'm at a complete loss on how to do the hair - It looks like it's somehow parted in the back and combed up, but I'm not familiar enough with wigs to know how to do that or if it's even possible.

Number two, is it a good idea to try and get the floating effect he has on the bottom of his coat by using wire, or should I just leave it hanging, or is there some other method that's less stiff that I could use?
>>
>>9315978
Thanks!
>>
>>9313718
Here's a tutorial on making cosplay wrappings that might be useful:
https://ohicosplay.tumblr.com/post/80496361849/how-to-make-arm-wraps-without-actually-using-arm

>>9313982
try "double ruffle ribbon"

>>9315630
That's definitely a peaked lapel.

>>9316121
Trying to comb upwards with a normal wig would expose the wefts. You can get a reverse-wefted wig (like Arda's Malinda) that are made specifically for spiking straight up.
>>
>>9315770
>>9315805
>>9315825
Following up on what these anons have said, if your machine does not have a stretch stitch (mine doesn't), use the zigzag stitch and make sure you get a ball point needle in the appropriate weight for your fabric (the needle will have a description of what fabrics its meant for on the back. Make sure you have material to test your stitches first. You'll probably have to mess with tension, stitch width and length before you get something you're happy with.
>>
File: Albedo_Full1.jpg (36KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
Albedo_Full1.jpg
36KB, 360x500px
Any ideas for the hip wings? I was thinking about something sturdy and corset-like thing under the dress to help support the weight. But, I'm open to other ideas.
>>
>>9316282
I think that most people would make the wings self supporting with a harness system to help stabilize and support it. Kind of depends on what you make them out of though.
>>
>>9316282
When the outfit has so little coverage you need to look up how to lace a wing bracket into a corset. Look up HCC cosplays wing stuff.
>>
>>9316121
No matter what you do the bottom will be stiff. If you get a sheet of stitch witchery and use it for fuse the top fabric with something light but stiff. This stuff will also make it so you can cut out the cartoonish tatters and the edges won't fray much. you will still probably need some wiring to make it stick out in some places.
>>
>>9316300
I just checked out their tutorial and it looks really great. I wish they had just a bit more information tough.
>>
File: Hisomu.Yoshiharu.full.1982085.jpg (173KB, 1178x946px) Image search: [Google]
Hisomu.Yoshiharu.full.1982085.jpg
173KB, 1178x946px
Is Arda's Magnum Long in dark lavender appropriate for Hisomu from Kiznaiver? I'm uncertain about the back layers in particular.
>>
>>9316316
It should be long enough but it has a lot of volume so be ready to do a lot of thinning.
>>
File: lulucosheet.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lulucosheet.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
I want to cosplay Luluco, but I'm unsure as to how I should go about doing the wig.

I have no idea how I would even start to do the stripe/shine in her hair, and I don't really want to go without it since it feels like a really iconic part of her character design.
>>
File: 2698.jpg (24KB, 315x345px) Image search: [Google]
2698.jpg
24KB, 315x345px
I want to make a blank mask.
I will probably have to use paper mache and i'm not sure how to see through it or make it smooth.
>>
>>9316679
Make a hard base with eye holes and cover it with stretchy fabric, the last pattern thread had this tutorial on dolls that used a fabric that would be perfect for this
>>
>>9316556
I'm also having a hard time finding a good colour for the base wig.
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to post but I may as well try.

I recently knit a scarf for my boyfriends birthday, he's super into DnD and fantasy MMOs so I thought it would be cute to embroider "stats" into the scarf(Embroider the stats onto a piece of fabric and then stitch the piece of cloth to the scarf).

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking stuff like +2 frost resistance but I'm coming up blank.
>>
>>9316556
I was actually thinking about this myself. I don't even want to cosplay her, I was just thinking about how other cosplayers might go about it. A couple of methods I considered:

Select a base wig according to the colour of the stripe/highlight, then use the sharpie dye method to darken the surrounding wig and leave the stripe as is?

Or possibly try a coloured sheet (similiar colour to the highlight- I've seen a few cosplayers dye acrylic etc. with success) of transparent acrylic/something with a holographic sheen, and try applying it around the wig to represent the highlight? That way you'll get a cool looking sheen as well, though i'm really not sure what the final outcome would look like.
>>
File: korekiyoravenwig.png (340KB, 988x500px) Image search: [Google]
korekiyoravenwig.png
340KB, 988x500px
Do you think this wig fits the character to the left in pic related? (particularly the colour)

https://www.arda-wigs.com/products/le-tigre-classic?variant=27836677446
>>
File: IMG_2382.jpg (28KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2382.jpg
28KB, 222x293px
How do I cope with the fact that I'm too stupid and poor to get into cosplay?
>>
>>9317096
Either work at it and get better or just do nothing and be sad.
>>
>>9305848
The pic you posted has good hip rolls, keep them that size or a bit smaller, a lot of idiots make them gigantic. Take your time making the boots/boot covers so they aren't super grumpy looking.
>>
>>9317082
Looks spot on to me!
>>
File: IMG_1738.png (253KB, 281x632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1738.png
253KB, 281x632px
Been working on creating patterns for this guy, however I've never cosplayed a male character before. Should I try to pad the chest piece to make it a little bulkier and closer to a male shape or should I adjust the costume to fit my female figure? I don't want it to look stupid like ok intentionally genderbending the character if that makes sense
>>
>>9316702
Thank you.
>>
>>9317145
Just pad the inside. If you need help maybe try asking some people in the larp thread? I think I've seen girls wearing chest armor like that recently in there.
>>
i wanna make a wukong design (journey to the west) but i dont know how to do it.
>>
File: il_340x270.247469085.jpg (42KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.247469085.jpg
42KB, 340x270px
I'm starting my first elaborate sewing project and trying to source trims. Where do people buy trim? Options I'm finding are either $20+ for a yard or wholesale. Am I looking in the wrong places or is that it?
>>
>>9317020
Thanks!
I'll look into both
>>
File: 1463117836872.jpg (27KB, 400x321px) Image search: [Google]
1463117836872.jpg
27KB, 400x321px
Any one got advice for serging with knits?

My machine has this weird habit of bunching the fabric up a bit so I always give myself extra overlock so I can smooth it out. Im just worried about fucking up my fabric.
>>
>>9317774
Use tissue paper and baste the fabric by hand or with a reg sewing machine before serging.
>>
>>9317581

What kind of trim are you looking for? I can't imagine anything worth $20+ a yard, not even from regular harberdashers.

You can always try taobao and see if there's cheaper, lower end stuff on there.
>>
I have a weird one: I need to look visibly drunk

I study the drunken fist style of martial arts (Zui Quan), and I'm planning on going to a dance off where I will perform (and or 'dance') this style.

It should be obvious that I'm imitating a drunkard when I perform, but I want to add a little something to it so it's not me just stumbling in a regular tshirt and jeans.

Anything that would add to visual consistency is what I'm getting at.

I'm new to /cgl/, sorry if my autism is showing.
>>
>>9317790
Loose tie around your head?
>>
File: IMG_8488.jpg (340KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8488.jpg
340KB, 2000x1000px
I need to make a pair of leather shorts for my costumes.
I've made a ton of different pairs of shorts out of muslin and they all fit really awkwardly right around my crotch. I've tried a lot of different solutions for fit problems, but it seems like while they solve one issue, they create another one. None of my jeans or anything fit like the shorts I'm making do, and I based the pattern off of a pair of shorts that already fit me well. Sorry if I'm rambling, I just feel like I'm having a hard time explaining my issues.
The pair I made fit very comfortably, but they looks like they give me camel toe, but they're not riding up my hooch, and there is a lot of wrinkles coming out along the front seam. Are there any helpful guides or any anons that may have a solution to my issue? Pic related is a dude but a little similar to what I'm experiencing.
>>
>>9317790
Messy hair, wrinkled clothes, if you're wearing a button up shirt maybe button some of the buttons wrong, open fly, undone belt, if you have a tie have it undone or something, crooked pair of glasses maybe?
Basically just look really disheveled.
>>
Any advice on how to make the sleeves look hard or like plastic? I've seen only one person pull this off but I have no means of contacting them. I was considering using EVA foam, and maybe covering it with some sort of stretchy matte fabric.
>>
>>9317835
Use a 4 way stretch pleather
>>
>>9317145
Well, you could just look at a female char wearing this armor set?
>>
>>9317782
I'm looking for fringe like in the previous pick, or beaded, and metallic braid. Cheeptrims seems to be least per yard, but I don't need that much at a time.
>>
>>9318161

Etsy?
>>
>>9317835
Make a muslin and pin up the excess. Then take apart. It should show you how to adjust your pattern
>>
Well, I'm bored. Anyone need advice on props or solid parts of costumes?

>>9316282
Ahh, this is something I have expertise on. Made similar pairs when I was working at a theater.

Personally, I'd attach it to the back. Yes, it might be a little awkward to move around with, but there's simply no better attach point on the body. Basically create a back assembly hidden by the hair, and dangle the wings from it.

>>9318091
Sintra rings. Or a sliced PVC pipe. Really the real issue is the paint job, you need a nice chrome sheen on it.

>>9313718
Rather simple solution. Papier Mache and bondo. Buy a styrofoam head cast from a hobby lobby and go ham.

>>9302863
Get it 3d printed. Or get a 2mm thick layer of styrene from a hobby store, and carve it out with a template.

>>9302835
>>9302204
Bit late, and no idea if you're still here, but this sort of thing is my specialty.

The other guy was right when he said you have to worry about weight, but the thing is, it has to be in a particular way. Like the dome of the Pantheon, the further away the structure is from a support element, the lighter it must be. Making it all one density makes it easy to slip off balance.

Here's what I would do.

1: Scale things down. No need to take it 1:1. if the sides are 75% or 50% as big, it'll still look fine.

2: work out a backpack mechanism. Iowa luckily has most of the weight distributed evenly on both sides, your task is to find a way to hide back straps that hang over and under your arms on the costume. This will be the main attach point.

3. Material selection. In this case, I would personally probably build the centre out of somthing stiff and heavy, a mix of metal and styrene, for the back panels. The main body will be a mix of Sintra and craft foam sheet - no need for the pink stuff, much too heavy. The side elements and gun housings will all be card stock. If you really want to go all out all of this has to be hollow to save on weight.

Good luck!
>>
>>9318347
Do you have anymore information about making a device that would attach to my back for the wings?
>>
Does anyone have any idea what the metal rings that go in the ventilation holes of hats are called? Pic related is an example. Additionally, how would I go about putting custom holes and rings into a pre-existing hat?
>>
>>9318675
Its a grommet. You can buy punches and grommetters from craft stores.
>>
>>9318675
Pretty sure they're called rivets, any craft store sells them in packs and will have the little tool you need to add them to whatever you're making
>>
File: 5(190).png (124KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
5(190).png
124KB, 480x280px
>>9318679
>>9318680
Thank you, anons!
>>
>>9318680
>>9318687
Disregard, I'm dumb. Rivets are solid, grommets/eyelets are open.
>>
File: 9fb6702c00a23d71f982e920d82cd1ba.jpg (674KB, 1478x1500px) Image search: [Google]
9fb6702c00a23d71f982e920d82cd1ba.jpg
674KB, 1478x1500px
So I wanna make a mask like this, and I can't find any tutorials anywhere that cover majority of things on how to make one or the materials you will need for one, so do anyone knows the material I would need for making one and how I could make it.

Links are welcome.
>>
>>9318381
It could be anything, really, so long as it's stable and hides behind the back. The wings would essentially be attached right below it, such that it would be held from above, rather than the front. If you can get like an old travel or rolling backpack, that might be a good start because they have plastic backings.

>>9318714
Depends. There's a billion different ways to approach it. You can mold it out of plaster, get an existing mask and work off that, or make a solid positive mold and vacuform plastic over it.
>>
>>9318714
This is a leather mask that has been wet shaped and painted with paint suited for leather. You can see something similar being made here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BcUAHz6NO8

>>9318381
Here's a breakdown of a good bracket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z3svneGw6c
>>
>>9318845
>>9318752

Thank you both it means a lot.
>>
File: rMMTUcoh.jpg (47KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rMMTUcoh.jpg
47KB, 768x1024px
Is there a way to bead this so that there's no space where the wire is exposed? All my attempts end up looking like pic related and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just not possible.
>>
>>9318886
You're welcome. It's going to come out like shit anyway so it'd be hilarious to see your results.
>>
File: images (55).jpg (8KB, 152x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (55).jpg
8KB, 152x332px
Hi, anons. I would like to ask, what type of cloth material should i use for Trucy Wright's one piece dress?
My sewing machine got busted and i'll be doing it by hand, thought that i could still cosplay with a character that is friendly-to-sew-by-hand costume, i remembered trucy.
So any i deas what i can use?
>>
>>9319003
It's not possible as long as the wire is mobile and the hole for the wire is bigger than the wire itself.
>>
Cosplaying pic related, and curious about how to construct the 'ruby' parts. I'd imagine some kind of thicker plastic sheet, and then painting the inside of it, but I'd also like to put LEDS inside. What are some way to avoid having "hotspots" of light and get a nice soft glowing effect?
>>
>>9319325
cotton sateen might not be bad
>>
>>9319353
Not true, it IS possible. You need a stretchy wire/thread, like a rubber band.

>>9319363
>Cosplaying pic related, and curious about how to construct the 'ruby' parts. I'd imagine some kind of thicker plastic sheet, and then painting the inside of it, but I'd also like to put LEDS inside
Plexiglass coated with resin sounds like a good bet. Tint the resin, and do some light weathering to make it look realistic.

>What are some way to avoid having "hotspots" of light and get a nice soft glowing effect?
Hotspots, as you call them, are caused by poor diffusion of light. You need a diffuser. Lots of ways to do this, you can frost the inside of the crystal with glue or clear spray paint, you can sand it with rough sandpaper so the light blurs, or you can coat the insides with semi-translucent paper to let the light soften.

Personally, for a real organic look, I'd roughly sand the insides with rough sandpaper, then fill it with some foil or clear plexiglass and resin to get a nice diffraction pattern going.
>>
>>9319363
>>9319363
The word you're looking for is "diffusion." It's a really tricky parts of LED usage. Some LEDs diffuse light better than others and sometimes you need a cap other the light made of a cloudy white plastic made for light diffusion. For the material it's still pretty new but maybe clear Worbla?
>>
File: Crona_x.jpg (126KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Crona_x.jpg
126KB, 400x400px
I need help finding a dress on Amazon for a Crona cosplay (I'll be making the collar + cuffs myself)
I'm a 6'1" boy with 33-32-36 measurements
I'd prefer to find something under $40 but just a bit more than that wouldn't be too bad
I know this is all difficult criteria to work with but any help would be appreciated
The best I found is this one-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS5NTA2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OOTYP7Z383NK
>>
>>9319475
if you're making the cuffs and collar (the hardest parts) yourself, you should just make the dress part yourself too. knit dresses like that are pretty easy to sew. just use a women's pattern and then adjust it as you need for it to fit you properly. it might help to start off making it a bit big and then try it on, pin it, and bring it in to your shape. i made a similiar dress in 3 hours not long ago, it was fun and good practice.
>>
>>9319428
>>9319436
Awesome advice guys! Thank you so much. Glad to have some better keywords to search for now as well.
>>
Any tips on giving foam board a harden finish? I made a staff head out of it and want to make it durable.
>>
>>9319592
I use this stuff from Home Depot called Super Glaze Finish and Preservative. Manufacturer is called Parks. Works really well and does not crack when put under a little pressure.

Others use Modge Podge or wood glue mixed with water. I just fuck up every time I try these though.
>>
>>9291738
I'm cosplaying as a male version of Chloe Price from Life is Strange. I would go as a female version, but I'm too dudular.

What do you recommend for a wig and the bullet necklace?
>>
Whats a good way to get started cosplaying?
>>
File: 2017-01-15_09.03.35.jpg (594KB, 1035x1035px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-15_09.03.35.jpg
594KB, 1035x1035px
Recently I brought this cosplay from LoveLive Sunshine. It's all okay except the hat. I can't put in my head and looks like an UFO? Advice to improve the form please.
>>
File: IMG_9657.jpg (82KB, 594x572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9657.jpg
82KB, 594x572px
So I'm making this costume and I've bought two separate fabric types for it so far: stretch velvet and an activewear. They both look great, but I'm leaning toward the stretch velvet and would like more opinions.

I'm also having some trouble deciding on what to make the feather shapes with and I've thrown around the idea of using a sequin trim, bias tape or ribbon. Opinions are appreciated.
>>
>>9319592
Depends on the kind of foam. Usually the standard is resin or Bondo putty. It also creates a nice paint surface to apply details to.

If it's EVA or pink foam most resins will melt through it, so you need a layer of glue or gesso first.
>>
STYRENE
How do I cut it? I'm not cutting a straight line, so just following a ruler won't do. Actually it's a rounded, oval shape, 10cm in diameter... I can obviously score the line, but the bend-and-snap part, will it work if it's not a straight line? Am I just fucked?
>>
>>9320156
Styrene is notoriously hard to cut, better to score and bend/break. That said, it pretty much just takes practice, and since it's plastic you can finish bad curves with sandpaper.

For circles, they actually have specialized tools, but I suggest a piece of twine and a nail, so you can score a circle like a compass.

Bend and snap WILL work but it might deform the plastic. Cut the excess plastic like a grid and snap off one small piece at a time.

Anyways, got a picture of what you're trying to make? I might be able to give better advice then.
>>
>>9320174
I tried your advice since I have loads of styrene to practise on, and it kind of worked. Deformed and very ryff edges, but for a first try it looks pretty good. Thanx!

I'm making the Team skull pendant. I tried making the backpiece first, that one wasn't impossible, but I'm probably gonna go trough hell with the white S-shaped part.
https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/6e/e0/91/74/11/6414f5e8f859e1e313aa96450e9e4fc4_preview_featured.jpg
>>
>>9320186
Usually for stuff like that, I'd tape the paper to the styrene and trace it with a knife.

For the interior holes get a drill to cut out as much as possible, and then sand it with sandpaper. Again, your shapes don't have to start out perfect, you have room to sand and improve.
>>
>>9319911
Only one of those option that might work is bias tape but try making your own from thick, silver bridal satin. Storebought bias tape will look too cheap. Embellish with sequin if you want when you're done. Ribbon won't lay the way you want it to.
>>
>>9320186
It might give you less headache to cut it from balsa or basswood then prime the fuck out of it, then a coat of glossy black, then a coat of silver to get the shiny silver finish.You can still use your backpiece to give it strength
>>
File: 20170115_204129.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_204129.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>9320174
It's rough and far from perfect, but yeah! It's a thing for sure. Next one should be a bit better.

Thanx for the help ~
>>
I know wings have already been discussed in this thread, but it didn't exactly cover my question.

I built a pair of wings years ago but they were shitty/had a major design flaw that I didn't have time to fix before the con. I rescued all the feathers off this set and was hoping to remake some better wings. The harness I built is okay, but I am totally willing to remake this as well to support a better wing rig. Original wings were built with PVC pipe because that's what most people were using at the time I built mine, would LOVE to use something different.

Does anyone have a tried and true method or tutorial they followed for making lightweight albeit stable more traditional-looking large feather wings? This is basically the size/shape of the wings I want to make because they can be used for several of my cosplay plans. Also, there are some really long feathers drawn for one character, has anyone successfully mixed real feathers with felt or other "non-feather" pieces to get those super long feathers?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
>>
>>9320231
not OP but shouldn't a trim work fine? and there wouldn't be a point in using a satin without any sparkles if the source material is sparkly
>>
>>9305809
Give the bodysuit some support. A lot of Sailor Moon cosplayers end up making it look like a cheap spandex underwear garment instead of a bodysuit. And don't make the skirt too long, the Sailor Moon characters have VERY short skirts and if you make them too long your legs will look stumpy. And regarding the skirt, give it enough ruffles and pleats.
>>
>>9320321
That looks gorgeous for a first try, great job!
That said you should sand the surface down so paint adheres easier. Also, order some styrene cement. If you're bonding styrene to styrene it works better than superglue, since it literally melts the plastic at the boundary.

>>9320344
Well, first off, I'm not a huge fan of REAL feathers for wings. Really hard to attach and fall off too easily and they leave a mess. Paper or sheet foam is a much better choice.

Pic related is a good intro guide, but I use something a little different personally. Generally, I don't even think PVC pipe is necessary. Think of the wing as more a decoration than an extra set of limbs.

Most important thing though -
Prototype, prototype, prototype. Before you go at it. make a 1/10th scale model of the wing and see how it holds up. You don't want to be halfway into construction before you realize you fucked up.
>>
>>9320405
Thanks for the reply about the wings. I didn't have a problem with the real feathers staying to the wings, in fact they were quite a pain in the ass to take off the original set but I agree that sheet foam or other materials will give a more uniform look. Real feathers were easiest to track down than giant rolls of foamies or felt at the time.

I've seen that tutorial you attached before but those are made from something a bit more drapey than I would probably pick for mine. What do you use, since you mentioned using a different material?

Prototype is the best idea, thank you for reminding me of this. Last time, I certainly did not have the time to do this and now I have shitty memories to emphasize WHY prototypes are essential for something like this.
>>
>>9320405
That sheet foam looks terrible imho. Crooked Feather makes the best wings out there and has a lot of great videos. At first I didn't like her large fabric feathers but looking at how it comes together I think they'rea a good filler to mix with real feathers. Problem with real feathers is people don't care for them well or use craft store feathers or boas which have nothing on turkey quills.
>>
>>9320522
Crooked feather has great wings, don't get me wrong, but they're neither beginner friendly nor particularly economical. Sheet foam is cheap, easy, and real feathers are really a pain to deal with when it comes to realistic distributions of size and shape. That's a big problem with shitty wing cosplays, people don't realize that wing feathers aren't homogeneous. Pic related.

Sure, it might not have 100% fidelity, but it's by far the most beginner friendly.

>>9320495
The drapiness is not inherent to this style of layered wing building, it's just that particular design. I've built wings with wide spans with similar methods.

I don't personally use sheet foam since with so many shows at the theatre sheet foam simply isn't durable enough to stand weeks of performance. Rather, I used sturdy folded cloth stiffened with something or other the tailors brewed up, I can't recall - I'm a terrible seamstress(Seamster?)

I'd still suggest sheet foam due to the simplicity of it all, but you're free to prototype with other materials until you find something that suits your goal. Still have no idea what you're trying to make, and when you need it by, so I might be a bit in the dark.
>>
>>9320530
I'd still say go with craft foamies instead of that shipping stuff. You can still do some tooling to add some actual feather texture to it and it's stiffer while the other stuff is really fluttery
>>
>>9320530
Ah, I see. I'm not doing any sort of theatrical productions etc. with the wings so they don't need to be THAT sturdy. I'm just looking to remake a set of wings I could wear maybe a dozen times with several costumes. One of them is the image I posted above, which I forgot to reference so I apologize for the confusion. I don't have a deadline either, it's more of a "I want to remake this because I'm mad at how bad I fucked up in round one". The first set looked decent, but I couldn't move much, had to side-step, and needed help from friends to move from place to place because they were rather large and unwieldy.

As far as the feathers, I used turkey feathers, lefts and rights for each respective wing, first time around and trimmed them so they are all still quite useable. I may save them for a different feather project or just see how they will look on a different base structure.

>>9320536
Thanks for the craft foamies suggestion as well. I forgot that they can be be tooled/carved to add texture and look more visually interesting than just a flat piece of foam. I agree, the shipping foams probably look cool in photos with a slight breeze and nice atmospheric lighting, but might lose that cool look when you're just seeing them statically.
>>
>>9315029
Can anyone help with this? I spent all week looking and still couldn't find anything. I also don't have the skills to straight up make one. Only modify really. Any suggestions? Thanks
>>
So, I am working on a chest piece for a costume that is currently built up out of cardboard and foam. My original plan for finishing it off was to use a kydex thermoplastic sheet to form a hard plastic layer on top and cover up the base materials, giving the illusion that its all one piece.

Problem is that the funky shape of the chest piece basically won't let me deform the plastic, even when heated, into the shapes I need. Too many stress points.

I'm thinking now that what I'll have to do for this one is find some kind of application or putty or hardening plastic gel to cover the surface with, and then sand or file it smooth.

What would you recommend in this case, /cgl/? Id rather avoid using fiberglass if I can, because I don't have a ventilated workspace to do this in and this is the wrong time of year to bet on weather being cooperative.

In addition, the chest piece is supposed to go along with a robot arm that I already successfully made out of plastic, so ideally this would still have a plastic like finish to it. That's why I don't want to just paint over craft foam.
>>
>>9320995
What are you trying to make? Hard to give advice when you have no idea.There's a billion ways to do it and it depends on your product. Is it a cuirass? A light breastplate? Is it split into pieces or one large chunk?

Post a picture of the character.
>>
File: McCree_Reference_1.jpg (78KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
McCree_Reference_1.jpg
78KB, 1024x576px
>>9321247

Mcree from Overwatch, ones of his alternate skins.

As I am building it, the chest armor has three pieces: upper chest, lower chest, and the back plate.

Whats currently giving me trouble is the upper chest, since you have that 'sclupted chest' thing going on. I can't get the plastic to deform properly around it. I don't think the other two pieces should give me much trouble, but then again I didn't think this would either so maybe I am in for more surprises.
>>
>>9321279
Well, first of all, you probably want to go with flexible EVA mat foam for the back pieces, look up N7 armor cosplays and stuff for an example.

For the chest piece, you can also use EVA foam, it's possible to bend it with heat and such. A neat trick is to buy some clay, build yourself a mold, and then heat the EVA foam before pushing it onto the mold. You can also carve it out of chunks of insulation foam if you don't feel like going EVA, but painting insulation foam can be a real hassle.

The upper chest seems like it'd actually be 3 seperate pieces. A fairly flat backing, which you can make out of EVA foam, and two curved pecs, which just need to be bent slightly. There's only a single major crease, and you can even split them into two, and join two flat pieces at an angle instead.
>>
How would I go about making the helmet on this guy? Ive never done anything like it as I mostly work with armor but Id really like to. If anything, anyone know anybody who could make the helmet for a good price?

Also recommendations for the shoulder cape?
>>
File: image.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
>>9321752
Forgot pic
>>
Where can I find decent darker skinned bald caps? All the ones on Amazon look like ass
>>
I'm planning on styling a wig for a sore Cosplay but dont know what method i should use, the wig is sythenic fibers and is short i just what to know how i would go about creating the spider on it?
>>
The paint I want for my size 14 shoes only comes in 1oz.

Should I get 2oz for the pair, and then maybe something to mix it with?
>>
File: file.png (93KB, 457x640px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
93KB, 457x640px
What'd be the easiest way of getting a 9S cosplay together?
>>
>>9321982
1oz should cover like 10 sheos
>>
File: 1-5141.jpg (154KB, 400x645px) Image search: [Google]
1-5141.jpg
154KB, 400x645px
I have no Idea how I missed this thread earlier. O_O

Thank you anon who pointed me here.

So, with the image I am uploading, I am trying to figure out what you call that type of coat, pants, and shoes.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 327x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 327x320px
Where can I find a good mask of Friend from 20th Century Boys?
>>
>>9322427
Somewhere out there, there is going to be a tenma cosplayer.

This makes me so happy I want to cry, anon.

Anyways, I found some shoes that look pretty close, but they're pricey.
http://www.zappos.com/p/sebago-classic-antiqued-brown/product/104670/color/1626

http://www.zappos.com/p/sebago-norwich-penny-black-bison-leather/product/8556911/color/45110

(Prob the first imo)

If those aren't to your fancy tho, here's just where I was browsing lol:
http://www.zappos.com/sebago-mens~2
>>
So I'm doing a tv head cosplay and I want the screen to be white and I plan on using plexiglass.
Is there white window film out there like there's black film that would work good? How could I achieve being able to look out while no one can look in? Just any tips would really help, sorry if I sound dumb, never did anything like this bf
>>
I have a couple of JoJo characters I'm considering cosplaying, and I know there are no canon colours, but would using alternate colours affect how any costumes I made be judged? Would I risk losing points for accuracy?
>>
File: wice.png (201KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
wice.png
201KB, 600x849px
so i'm trying to put together a cosplay of wicke and i'm wondering about how to go about styling the wig. i've seen a tutorial done by arda with a nicki, but that style is currenly out of stock. how else should i go bout it? maybe an inigo?
>>
>>9322252
black shirt, black pants, white house paint in hair
>>
File: tactical whatever pads.png (491KB, 980x320px) Image search: [Google]
tactical whatever pads.png
491KB, 980x320px
would anyone happen to know what these type of thigh pads are called? I thought it would be easier to buy it rather than make it but my searches for tactical thigh pads have yielded no results
>>
>>9323619
Ballistic Leg Protectors
>>
>>9323785
ty very much anon, finally getting results
>>
>>9323289
I've only started cosplaying JoJo recently, but best I can tell no one tends to care about specific colors for most of the outfits. My own philosophy when fabric shopping was "get something vaguely like the references but make sure the colors look good together".
>>
>>9325128
That's reassuring, thanks anon!
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 126

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.