[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for starters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 9434051.jpg (28KB, 693x393px) Image search: [Google]
9434051.jpg
28KB, 693x393px
I've always wanted to sew clothes not just for cosplaying but for fixing rips, tears, and maybe even modifying or making clothes.

Except I don't know anything about sewing, not even the most basic stuff.

What's some advice for a newcomer? How did you guys start off?
>>
You should look into classes at your local Joanns! They always have beginner sewing classes that will teach you the basics.
>>
go to youtube and type in how to sew
>>
>>9284715
>>9284727
Start by getting an in-person lesson on the basics and from there try simple projects on youtube like how to make pajama pants, zipper puches, tote bags, skirts etc. Learn about making mockups and practice making things with cheap fabric or even bedsheets from thriftstores so you don't waste money on nice material that might/will get fucked up by your early attempts.
>>
>>9284708
I like FashionSewingBlogTV and Professor Pincushion on youtube. You can start there and move on to other things later.
>>
While cosplay-centric tutorials and whatnot are plentiful and often helpful, and experimentation is a great thing, do your best not to fall into the trap of not learning how to do things right/the traditional way (like I did at first whoops). Once you learn to construct a garment properly the "quick & easy!" ways you see on tumblr/pinterest will start to show all their flaws
Start off with some simple projects and practice specific techniques on scrap fabric (seconding the old bedsheets suggestion): learn how to put in zippers, how to ruffle, how to neatly hem, finish your seams, add bias tape and make neat buttonholes long before you need to for a specific project, you'll thank yourself later
>>
I learn best from books, does anyone have recommendations for books on garment construction/fit/basic techniques/etc?
>>
File: Capture.png (482KB, 432x519px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
482KB, 432x519px
>>9286343
This one or any of the similar DK ones you find in most bookstores are really great for when you're starting off but also as your skillset grows too; I still refer back to mine even many years and reads later
I have a pdf version of this one and a few more advanced/comprehensive ones I'd be happy to share too but I'm not 100% sure the best way to do so....
>>
what sewing machines would you recommend? Or better asked what should a sewing machine have for a beginner?
>>
File: singersewingbook.jpg (42KB, 387x500px) Image search: [Google]
singersewingbook.jpg
42KB, 387x500px
I started learning how to do things like repair holes in clothing or totes from my mom and then went on to college in a sewing course to make clothing.

The college I attend uses Janome student machines but I don't enjoy them a whole lot. I use a Brother machine and it's wonderful with so many functions to learn and use. Singer is a good brand of machine too.

Like >>9284715 said, if you live in the U.S and have a Joann store in town, try it for sewing classes. I didn't use them but I hear they're pretty good.

Look for sewing books that offer tutorials on basic stitches and shows you different type of presser foots and needles, etc. Learn about things like pressing cloths and seam rolls, those things help me a lot.

>>9286343

My very first sewing book was Singer's Sewing Essentials. It will get you started on things like supplies, different types of stitches, etc. After that you can find more advanced books but this is a good start. Also check youtube tutorials to see how to do stitches you don't quite understand.
>>
Gave my Husqvarna her first run the other day! Super smooth compared to my mother's old, old, old machine, but we'll have to see if she'll last as long...

my suggestion for your first few projects would be:

>pillowcase
>sweatpants
>t-shirt
>circle skirt
>lined cape with hood
>>
>>9286478
>circle skirt

yeah no, not unless you do some research on how to properly hang/trim/hem that shit. bias fucks with everything.
>>
>>9286481
Was thinking of doing a circle skirt myself, I've some sewing experience so I reckon it wouldn't turn out horrendously.

Was wondering what would happen if I added some stiff interfacing to the hem? Would it work as a petticoat type thing? Would I be better with a half circle skirt in terms of shape?
>>
>>9286343
Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing is awesome. I got mine dirt cheap from a thrift store.

>>9286385
Basic running stitches (just straight lines) plus a zig zag stitch are really all you need to get started. My first sewing machine was a Singer Heavy Duty ( I think its the 4423), and it runs like a champ. If you've never machine sewed before, try to get someone to show you all the basic functions of your machine and how to thread it and wind a bobbin. Its not hard to learn to do them, but having a human help will be much easier.
>>
>>9286481
Exactly why it's a good early project, especially if you want to know how to work with bias.
>>
>>9286499
http://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/11628909-nerdy-sewing-tips-3-ways-to-hem-a-curve
let it hang for 24-48 hours, and even out the hem before hemming
>>
I want to get into sewing, but I'm not sure what my interests would be classified as. Costuming, maybe?

I fit into standard brand sizes and live in an area where it's difficult to find good-quality lace trim, so making my own lolita clothes is a waste of time and money since the amount of fabric and notions involved is huge for an item that'll cost me more and sell for less than a second-hand BtSSB JSK. Likewise, making my own normie clothes doesn't work out well because big companies make more economies of scale than me, so cheap goods made in Asia will always be cheaper than what I can make even if you assume my labour is free. The only things I've found that it would really save me money to make and result in something unique is clothes for everyday wear, but that are things I can't currently find in the shops or online.

Basically, I want to make clothes to suit other altfashions and jfashions, but I'm struggling to find tutorials that aren't just "rip your stuff up and add safety pins everywhere!" I've seen a lot of awesome custom stuff for uchuu-kei for example, and I'd like to be able to make futuristic stuff like that for clubbing since I'm not 100% in love with style of anything I've seen off-the-rack and it's all so expensive anyway, but it seems to be made of materials that are challenging for a beginner - thick stretchy fabrics, thick clear or holographic PVC, and mesh.

The problem is that most of the stuff I'm interested in has fabrics I've heard are difficult for beginners to make. I want to know how true the reputation these fabrics has is, and if it's worth me buying an overlocker instead of a sewing machine if I'm going to be working entirely with challenging fabrics. I made a pillowcase and a tote bag in school when I was 13 but that's the extent of my experience.
>>
>>9286976

Other than the artificial materials I see in uchuu-kei, the main things that fit what I want to make were:
>chiffon (waint to make a chiffon overdress, and an asymmetric bias-cut "ragged"-edge miniskirt, and some Moitie-style blouses)
>silk/satin (for silky pyjamas)
>jersey knit (T-shirt weight, for gothic cutsews and tops for everyday wear with a lace-embellished square neckline, since it's a really flattering cut on me but I can't find it mainstream stores)
>jersey knit (outerwear weight, for making a varsity jacket entirely in contrasting pastel colours, similar to what Listen Flavor sometimes put out)

Which are the easiest for me to start with? Are these possible for a beginner to make, if I'm careful, or am I shooting way over my head?

If any of these concepts don't make sense because I don't understand the sewing terms, I can try to draw things out even though I am terrible at drawing.
>>
>>9286499
>Was wondering what would happen if I added some stiff interfacing to the hem? Would it work as a petticoat type thing?

The thing you are looking for is horse hair braid. It gives body to a hemline. I know you can find some good YouTube videos on its use.
But first just conquer a basic circle skirt. Too often new sewers get excited and ambitious and end up frustrated in thir first projects cause they tried too many things at once.

First projects should always be pillows, simple skirts, and pj pants for a reason. They give you simple foundations to work from and won't frustrate you and make you have a bad time.
>>
Sort of hijacking the thread here. I usually just tailor old clothes or fix holes, but now I want to make my own clothes. One thing I noticed though is that you need a shitload of fabric for one garment? Like, i want to make some pants, and the online guides that I'm reading require at least 3 yards of fabric for this (it says 1 yard of fabric is 150cm by 90cm). Why? I'd understand if I needed lots of fabric for shirts, but for pants it doesn't really make any sense to me.
>>
>>9287423
You have two legs, and you're making a garment that covers both of them completely.
>>
>>9287423
Never underestimate just how much fabric you need. Hold up a sheet to your hip and let it drape to the floor. Past your ankles, because you've got hems and waistbands to make, too. Now double that. It's a lot, isn't it? How wide is your fabric? Enough to cut two pant legs out of the length? Usually it is, but even so you've got to look at how much fabric you're losing JUST by lining up your pattern pieces in a way that fit the fabric right. The patterns will have lines showing the direction of the weave to line up the fabric with. If you don't follow those, your clothes hang funny or don't fit. You definitely need 3 yards for pants.
>>
>>9286981
Blouses and jackets are harder because they're made up of quite a few pattern pieces (for example a blouse might have 2 piece sleeves, cuffs, collar, collar stand, two front pieces, button stand, back); in contrast, a loose pair of pajama pants could be made with 2-3 pattern pieces. I'd start with pajamas but use a cheaper fabric first to test the pattern before going with silk.
>>
>>9287986
>direction of the weave
Does anyone have a good explanation for this and how to find it? Like if explaining to a retard.
>>
>>9288506
It's called the grain of the fabric. You can't just place the pattern willy-nilly or you're gonna have a bad time.
>http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/absolute-beginners-tutorial-on-how-to/
>http://www.g-w.com/pdf/sampchap/9781605259970_ch08.pdf
>>
>>9288498
Would you use satin or muslin? Cheap satin's probably closer to the feel of working with nice satin but muslin might be easier.
>>
>>9289871
For learning purposes, I'd do both since both materials are cheap. The muslin is easier to work with and you can learn a lot about using a pattern, but you also need to learn how to work with slippery/unforgiving fabrics like the satin. I'd make several mock-ups before cutting silk.
>>
>>9289874
I intended to use silky-feeling good-quality satin rather than actual silk, but I suppose both are expensive and require similar techniques.
>>
>>9290100
for a high quality satin you should expect to pay a fair price, but things like Duchess and Countess satin are quite nice. Depending on how large the garment is going to be, you may just want to use silk! Both fabrics are horrific to handle imho
>>
>>9290197
Isn't it easier to wash satin though? I thought silk pyjamas would be far too hard to care for.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.