[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going abroad for conventions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (118KB, 489x645px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 489x645px
So in June 2017 I will be flying over to Ohio from the UK for colossalcon. It's my first time so feel free to leave tips and advice for going abroad for cons as well as any stories of your own!
>>
>>9279367
of all the cons to fly internationally for???
>>
>>9279370
Believe me, no matter what con it is it's going to be miles better than literally anything in the UK
>>
>>9279370
I was originally flying out to see friends but colossalcon is on around the time I am going so we decided to go lmao
>>
>>9279367
>>9279370
but honestly, get some tickets to cedar point while you are there. might make coming to Ohio worth it, lol.

as for tips: I've never flown internationally for cons but I travel across the U.S. for most of the cons I go to.

>if you plan on cosplaying, remember you have to pack... try to limit props and maybe stick to one or two cosplays if you don't want to check a bag.
>ffs no prop weaponry. you don't want to deal with fake weapons in an airport
>wear your petti or pack it in an airtight bag for lolita to save space
>leave room in your suitcase for merch. don't buy anything you can't take on the plane and don't want to ship home
>all the usual international travel stuff. be extra careful about your passport if you are rooming with people you don't know (cons are a crazy place)
>>
>>9279372
I agree with this, uk cons would make you kids thank your lucky stars for your cons.
>>
>>9279372
I can back this up.
>>
>>9279367
>>9279381
more for if you're flying internationally but make sure you fill out the declaration card properly - most of the time they want the address of where you're staying so make sure you have the hotel/accom address to hand especially for customs.

And depending on the country don't bring fresh fruits/seeds/nuts, even in your suitcase as these are banned especially in Australia where border control is strict
>>
File: 1480099221671.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480099221671.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>9279372
THIS

I'm jumping ship to AX next year because holy shit UK cons are bad
>>
>>9279402
Hyper Japan seems like fun but other than that yeah I feel bad for you guys
>>
>>9279787
For me Kitacon is the best con for me. But now they're moving venue so I don't know.
>>
Another thing to add to the list of international travel things is common sense for travel but double check the public transport system over wherever you're headed. I always take a few extra days to explore the city I'm in and if the con is in an out of the way place, it's a good idea to book nights in a nearby hotel to the con for the nights the con is on and then move to a more central one after it's over. Also with international flights I pack so securely, any props or armour go in large tupperware containers or boxes with my clothes and underwear balled up around them as padding. Better to have to iron your casual clothes once at the hotel and know your armour will survive without having to bring extra weight/bulk for packing stuff.
>>
I don't think there's a lot different in going to local cons is there? Get a hotel sorted, plan your travel, take enough money and make sure you get your visa sorted for the US.

I'm going out for AX next year, first time on the West coast except for change overs in LAX. Looking forward to it.

>>9279581

Nice to hear there's others making the international trip too.
>>
>>9279367
Colossalcon is a party/vacation con, so treat it as such. People mostly go for the pool/waterpark shots, so it's all casual and swimsuit cosplays. If you're expecting top tier cosplays, you'll be disappointed.
>>
>>9279372
This too.

Any UK con is a pile of piss compared to anything the US has to offer. Even some crappy US student union con is better than what we have here.
>>
>>9281248
>especially in Australia where border control is strict
>>>
> Anonymous 12/07/16(Wed)00:47:02 No.9279581▶>>9280090
>File: 1480099221671.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
>>>9279372
>THIS
>I'm jumping ship to AX next year because holy shit UK cons are bad
>>>
> Anonymous 12/07/16(Wed)04:03:23 No.9279787▶>>9279924
>>>9279402
>Hyper Japan seems like fun but other than that yeah I feel bad for you guys
>>>
> Anonymous 12/07/16(Wed)06:47:20 No.9279924▶
>>>9279787
>For me Kitacon is the best con for me. But now they're moving venue so I don't know.
>>>
> Anonymous 12/07/16(Wed)10:45:22 No.9280081▶
>Another thing to add to the list of international travel things is common sense for travel but double check the public transport system over wherever you're headed. I always take a few extra days to explore the city I'm in and if the con is in an out of the way place, it's a good idea to book nights in a nearby hotel to the con for the nights the con is on and then move to a more central one after it's over. Also with international flights I pack so securely, any props or armour go in large tupperware containers or boxes with my clothes and underwear balled up around them as padding. Better to have to iron your casual clothes once at the hotel and know your armour will survive without having to bring extra weight/bulk for packing stuff.
>>>
> Anonymous 12/07/16(Wed)10:57:48 No.9280090▶
>I don't think there's a lot different in going to local cons is there

Even Hyper Japan?
>>
Amecon is a fun con in the UK at is Minami.

Kitacon went shockingly downhill ever since scowny left. DJ lastknight does parties well, yes, but the con itself is mega poor now. Veto a tonne of panels, insult the karaoke people so they refused to do it; made the days very uneventful.

And with Hilton prices, all in all not great.

Hoping with it being at Warwick university this year it'll improve. If not I doubt I'll give it another go. Focus my money on better cons and cosplays
>>
>>9283333
Yes they are moving to Warwick university. But not they will be alternating years between amecon. I don't know if that's true of not.
>>
>>9284713
Not sure. It's only December, Minami hasn't even started yet. Too soon to call, but I hope so.

But if the US want quality in a con, then they should turn to Animeleague *sarcasm*
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.