[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LARP GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 73

File: maxresdefaultlarp.jpg (530KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefaultlarp.jpg
530KB, 1920x1080px
This is the new LARP thread as the previous one - >>9240492 is dying the death of many posts.

I want to start collating information for new people and to reference so if you've got links to games, equipment suppliers, reference stuff or anything to do with LARP post it here and I'll come up with a LARP general info post.

General question to get things started - how much do people expect to spend to attend a LARP?
>>
>>9274790
Collecting a link list for games in a place like this with people from literally all over the world is probably not going to be useful for anyone. Maybe for fest larps it could work.

Spending depends on what's expected of the event. I wouldn't pay £50 for a 4hour weekly event but for something over the weekend where there's going to be a huge setup, great costumes, lots of things going on etc then £65 is great.

For smaller events that run for a few hours then up to £15.
>>
File: LARP3.jpg (447KB, 1280x917px) Image search: [Google]
LARP3.jpg
447KB, 1280x917px
>>9274809

I think that it will be able to at least show the active games. Plus with an international audience it'll enable people that are traveling to a new country to be able to see if there are games active in the country they are traveling to.

What would you expect for your $15?
>>
>>9274823
he said pounds not dollars, mind you.

Also weekly events. I will never undersatnd why would anyone make weekly larp events. Chamberlarps I can understand but those are different, battle games also, but generic larp? it will be washed down and lose everything that could make it interesting
>>
>>9274790
Those wings are adorable.
>>
>>9274790
AAArrgh, such an amazing creature costume an then he guy couldn't be bothered to wear a black ski mask, or face paint.

But then again, I guess it kinda looks like the thing ate a dude, so it still sort of works.
>>
My weekend larp runs about 40$ for the weekend.
I honestly wouldn't mind paying a little bit more if the money went to nicer outfits for the NPCs. Classic amerilarp npc with colored tabards for different monsters. We have a decent make-up artist who makes them look better but still, I'd like to see cool costumes.
>>9274790
Anything like this would be a god send.
>>
>>9274823
If I went to a paid event and it looked like your picture, I'd want my money back.
>>
>>9275971
Same here, there's a modest stash of thrift store clothing the owners have built up over time for the human NPCs to use (along with a few custom-made pieces, like knit sweaters spray-painted silver to represent chainmail), but if there's one thing the game needs to improve, it's costumes.
>>
File: 1268687903077.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1268687903077.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>9276087
>knit sweaters spray-painted silver to represent chainmail
>>
File: Disgusting.png (388KB, 907x727px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.png
388KB, 907x727px
>>9276087
>knit sweaters spray-painted silver to represent chainmail
Seriously what the fuck
>>
>>9276103
>>9276132
It's a budget thing. They honestly don't look that bad, weird as it sounds.

... I'm putting my foot in my mouth here, aren't I?
>>
>>9276188
Nono its fine. I spray paint my tshirt silver for a breast plate.
>>
>>9275971
>I honestly wouldn't mind paying a little bit more if the money went to nicer outfits for the NPCs
It never will, the closest you'll get is people who already have good PC kit using parts of it for NPCs, you may see the same guy in chainmail all day as 6 different characters if you're lucky. But better that then nothing but different colored tabard and facepaint monsters.
>>
File: 1270646788096.jpg (44KB, 467x349px) Image search: [Google]
1270646788096.jpg
44KB, 467x349px
>>9276188
A cheap knit sweater costs around $20. Lets say with the spray paint that's $25.

The cheapest steel jump rings I could find with a 5 minute google search were $2.50 a pound.
So for the same price as a horrible abomination, you can get enough steel rings to make a chain mail vest. If you double the budget to $50 (what a lot of people here are willing to pay just to attend a single event) you get enough to make a shirt.

Just sit down in front of the TV, or netflix each night and get to making your chain mail. SHEESH.
>>
>>9276219
Hell and if even THAT is too much, just buy $10 worth of PVC pipe, cut it into rings, make mail out of that and THEN spay it with spray paint.

At least it'll have rings.
>>
>>9274823
>What would you expect for your $15?

less fat people and creepy beardos that wanna hump.

Seriously, its a big
>no pun intended
problem with LARp culture, you have kids having fun and gross swine over 25 looking to predate
>>
>>9276219
If doing it on the cheap is the biggest concern you could always do chainmail sleeves with a tabard over it to hide the torso.
>>
>>9276188

>ruining a wool knit sweater worth $200

that said, it's amazing how many thrift stores don't understand what wool is worth, I've flipped many a $5-9 full knit for $80 or more, but spray painting one? ouchie
>>
Thinking about buying an Italo-Norman style helmet like pic related. Is that a worthwhile purchase for larp? Having a cool full faced helmet sounds fun but I'm not sure if it'll be more trouble than its worth when I actually have to wear it for days at a time.
>>
>>9276219
>>9276224
I find an issue with a lot of larpers (well just a lot of people nowa days) are just lazy. they don't want to put in effort into their costume. so spray painting a sweater takes 5 minutes vs hours for chain mail.
larp is a lazy power fantasy.
>>
File: 1477328745749.jpg (120KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477328745749.jpg
120KB, 800x800px
>>9276303
The sex appeal of that helmet alone is reason enough.
>>
File: doublehelm.jpg (93KB, 475x637px) Image search: [Google]
doublehelm.jpg
93KB, 475x637px
>>9276354
this. it's sexy as fuck and bring all the boys to the courtyard.
>>
>>9276103
>>9276132
In the movie industry, spray-painted wool is used quite often as chainmail. They'll usually only give people who will be in view up close actual armour. It actually works reasonably well.
>>
>>9276188
if you are on a budget then don't try to get stuff that looks like armor, get clothing on the budget.

There is a big misunderstanding that you should ALWAYS have some kind of armor, and also that you can ALWAYS get stuff from a budget. Technically you can but most of the time it will be shit if you don't put more effort there.

And if you really hard pressed to even get normal clothing on a larp that isn't tshirt and jeans then first get your life together and then start larping

>>9276219
that would require effort.
>>9276224
still too much effort
>>
>>9276313
>larp is a lazy power fantasy.
you guys made it into a lazy power fantasy in the US.
At least there is one thing that has effort in it there: ruining larps. It seems people put a fuckton of effort into that
>>
>>9276303
>>9276354
It's not really an italo-norman helmet, and it didn't look like that but a sexy duckbill is a fine larp helmet. Just make sure you get the balance of enough room for padding against being way too big and heavy for your head right.
>>
File: sicilo-norman.jpg (664KB, 1254x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sicilo-norman.jpg
664KB, 1254x1600px
>>9276523
>It's not really an italo-norman helmet,
Sicilo-norman. whatever.
>>
>>9276547
I wasn't trying make a pedantic Italo vs. Siculo-Norman distinction. The archetypal version of the helm comes from a painting in Spoleto, which was HRE Italy and not ever Sicilo-Norman. In any case there are a few other depictions of similar helms from Spain and France, I think Ospey is responsible for the Siculo-Norman claim and popularising the small eye slits which is the opposite of the original style.

The forward peaked helmet style isn't even Siculo-Norman specific either, but a a style popular throughout Europe but especially France and England.

This is irrelevant for larp, but it always irritates me as a piece of historical armour misinformation that gets repeated.
>>
File: Local Peasant Gets Memed.jpg (129KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Local Peasant Gets Memed.jpg
129KB, 960x640px
Found some pics from King Richard's Faire

Photographer actually said "Try looking alive, people"
>>
File: From Pls Nerf.jpg (146KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
From Pls Nerf.jpg
146KB, 640x960px
>>9276635
SORCERY OP
>>
>>9276354

DEUS VULT
>>
>>9276505
I think you misunderstand. This is NPC gear, just something to have when they need 4-5 armored warriors, not something a PC is wearing. I would share your opinion 100% if it was a PC.

As far as laziness, it's really not that either; these people are trying to run a larp while having full-time jobs and raising a young child. They legitimately don't have the time to make chainmail. They should probably be handing this stuff off to other staff, of course.
>>
File: 1415263208988.jpg (319KB, 742x935px) Image search: [Google]
1415263208988.jpg
319KB, 742x935px
>>9277309
>not just making some thin gambesons instead of making shitty spray paint chainmail.
Its like you want to be a massive fucking faggot all the time.
>>
>>9277309
never used the word lazy in my argument, and I think it's even worse if the organizers distribute these kind of gear. The PCs? well they can be idiots sometimes.
But the organizers "show the way" if they think this is acceptable what stops the PCs from doing it? The new ones for example who doesn't know better.

Also, everywhere in the world most organizers have full time jobs and/or raising young child. Jobs and children aren't unique to the US, contrary to popular belief.

And yes as you said in a properly working community the stuff making would be distributed, but for that one would need a properly working community first
>>
>Local Post-Apoc LARP only lets you bring 20 nerf darts in for guns
>But an unlimited amount of birdseed packets to throw and simulate bullets
>New guy who was unaware this of this limit complies, leaves them in car, but keeps the magazines on him, just for looks (He had painted them along with gun to look all distressed and worn)
>people complain about it, insist that it gives a false representation of how much ammo he actually has
>organizers ask him to put the magazines away as well, as they're just decorative and shouldn't really matter
>Guy refuses, says there shouldn't be anything wrong with having them for looks, especially if he has numerous packets they might represent, as well
>Organizers refuse to budge, guy leaves shortly thereafter, doesn't come back

Who was in the right?
>>
>>9277877
the organizers were in the wrong I can tell you that much
>>
>>9277877
Not being a post-apocalyptic larper, what is this business with throwing bird seed packets all about? How exactly does this represent bullets?
>>
File: 20160902_220940.jpg (969KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_220940.jpg
969KB, 2560x1920px
>>9277877
>>people complain about it, insist that it gives a false representation of how much ammo he actually has

But... in game he can essentially have unlimited ammo, since he can carry as many packets as he damn well wishes...

If not the organizers, then definitely those dipshit players were wrong
>>
File: 2015-11-03 20.42.18.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03 20.42.18.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>9277941
Games limit the amount of actual nerf darts you can have, because they don't want to risk littering them all over the place and getting into trouble with the site owners. Bird seed packets (if made correctly - not with Joann's "cotton" fabric) will disintegrate within a week, or two and make pretty plants as a bonus.

Now this would be a very valid reason, if it wasn't for Human vs Zombie games, where each player blasts hundreds of darts everywhere and no fucks are given, so I'm not sure how much validity is to that argument.
>>
File: pd2 - kopie.jpg (52KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
pd2 - kopie.jpg
52KB, 528x960px
>>9261073
unprotected wrists, shameful.

>>9261066
>>9254350
>>9272100

Saving all of these for my plague doctor outfit.So few good images online of full-costume ones. Any good ideas for fabric and patterns?
>>
>>9276313
>they don't want to put in effort into their costume. so spray painting a sweater takes 5 minutes vs hours for chain mail.

The actual fuck? I can't be arsed making my own chainmail, so guess what I did, I fucking bought a set. You also don't need to spend a huge amount of money, you can build your kit slowly over a period of months if you don't have a huge budget straight away.

>>9276639
Your shoulders seem to be sitting way to low down on the arm, I'm guessing you haven't attached them to a gorget?

>>9277877
Shit, if I was playing a Post-Apoc game and I had empty mags, I'd fucking put them on display, it's called bluffing that I'm better equipped than I really am so folk are less inclined to fuck with me.
>>
>>9278168
I wasn't able to work a gorget inti the outfit, I'm still trying to juryrig them into proper position
>>
>>9276452
I have never heard of this. actually looking it up and...yeah, I can see where they come from at a distance it probably would look fine.
>>9276506
And I know. I'm sick of this shit
I still want to larp but theres such garbage around me. I'm worried that idolizing eurolarps is going to have a strain on enjoying my game

What actually gives me a little hope is new players. My larp has gotten a good pile this year (around 10) that all came in with nice gear, and are actually fun. Its fucking sad to see a first time larper with a better costume than some of our 4+ year vets
Stop wearing fucking khakis
>>
>guy in LARP uses make-up to heavily scar/uglify himself
>okay guy, some other people seems to have a grievance with him because he has a trump sticker on his car, was the only person in history of the entire group/event to try and work with an in-game human supremacist NPC group
>One of them insults him over dinner, calls him an 'ugly racist with no respect' after he refuses to give more than a headnod to some guild leader
>'At least my ugly face comes off, fatass.'
>Girl insulting him breaks down, everyone against him just verbally dogpiles him, starts bringing in real-world politics
>GMs 'intervene' take guy just outside the dining area and just continue to yell at him
>guy gets severely reprimanded, combat privileges taken away for making 'personal attacks' and 'breaking character'

I dunno, man. One the one hand, he had been dealing with their shit event after event without complaint, but at the same time, everyone at the event knows not to talk about this girl's weight at all, as she's really sensitive about it.
>>
>>9278718
>combat privileges
Sounds like whatever dumbass thought they could do that should be beaten with a brick, or a calimacil weapon since they probably wouldn't know the difference.
>>
>>9278718
His 'punishment' is silly IMO. Just ban him from the game or warn him or smth.

Was the dinner IC? If so, he's pretty shit.
>>
>>9278718
What a meme story, Jesus.
I mean, yeah, it was a mean remark coming from him and it broke the IC pretty hard. But the fact everybody else just went full batshit insane from him saying one thing like that rather than giving him a weird look and a retort to stop acting like a kid is a clear sign they were pulling in OC emotions into it in the first place.

I'd say get into a group that doesn't consist solely of turbo-autists, and never look back at those people.
Wether you were in the right or the wrong, most of those people sound horrible in general.
>>
Hey guys, I'm painting my armour with acryllic paint and I'd like to know if there's a way to make it a little more wear 'n tear resistant?
In a way that does allow me to remove it after the event, it's just that I'm worried it might get a little botched on the way there, or after the first day.
>>
>>9278528
>I'm worried that idolizing eurolarps is going to have a strain on enjoying my game
don't idolze it. It's also shit but in a totally different way.
Find what you love and do what you love. Find like minded people and go to or make games that you guys enjoy. And always try to improve. That's all.
>>
>>9278718
Holy shit guys. Are all of the GMs there teenagers?

>>9278905
>I'd like to know if there's a way to make it a little more wear 'n tear resistant?
you and me both anon. have to repaint my armour every year.
>>
>>9278959
Well if
>Hungarian LARPfag
doesn't know it, atleast I don't have to feel ashamed about my ignorance. So I guess I'll have to go through the struggle of actually watching paint dry with a buddy every week before an event.
>>
>>9278991
well technically there are ways but it's either need a lot of money and proper gear and probably experience too or it will look like shit.
Also I'm not up to date with more modern methods either, so there is that.

But I'm sure there is some way to use some kind of lacquer or something to pretct the paint but I'm not sure if that won't look like shit.

My personal problem is not just during use but in transportation too the paint wears off as I have to stuff everything into one backpack, so the parts "rub" to each other quite a lot in certain places which removes the paint I use (which MAYBE isn't as much of a problem with modern paints but I use oil and coal powder for painting)
>>
>>9278993
The pro and con of the acryllic paint I use is that it's easy to get off afterwards, since it doesn't bind too well on the steel.
It flakes off on touch or what have you during travel, just like your oil and coal I guess.
I was thinking of maybe putting a layer of varnish or something of the sort over it too protect it, but I'm too scared I won't be able to get it off. And I picked my armour on being as flavourless as possible, as to use parts of it in different costumes too. So if I can't get it off, I'm kinda chuffed.
>>
>>9279029
>It flakes off on touch or what have you during travel, just like your oil and coal I guess
nah, oil based paint is good it sticks very good but in a backpack when the metal parts are actively scratching each other while traveling a few hundred kilometers that gonna leave their marks.

Also, you can take it off one way or another from metal. Worst case use a sandpaper
>>
Don't use Acrylic. Powder coat or anodize it.
>>
>>9279029
I'm afraid you'll have to chose between "comes off nicely" and "stays on forever"
I honestly cant think of any solution that would be removable without damage, but also not come off accidentally.

Unless there's some sort of metal specific paint/ink out there thats super resistant, until it comes into contact with a specific solvent.
>>
>>9278905
What works for me is just a clear coat. spray paint over top. itll last about a year, or at least does for me. plus isn't impossible to get off early
>>
File: FB_IMG_1481075790649.jpg (74KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1481075790649.jpg
74KB, 1280x960px
>>9278905
>a way to make it a little more wear 'n tear resistant?
>in a way that does allow me to remove it after the event,

Pick one or the other. Or, just get a sheet of vinyl decal sticker, and cut out your design with an xacto. We commonly get our various group badges mass produced in various colors for war purposes in the SCA. Pic related, you can kinda see one on the top of my old viking kit helm.
>>
>>9278528
>What actually gives me a little hope is new players. My larp has gotten a good pile this year (around 10) that all came in with nice gear, and are actually fun. Its fucking sad to see a first time larper with a better costume than some of our 4+ year vets

I love this. My game started a new chapter earlier this year, with new characters, new players, etc. Even the creators noticed that the costuming level was much better overall at the new chapter, because people aren't constrained by laziness and feeling like they have to stick to their old character's "look."

As shit as some of our stuff is here, I think if we can keep making the effort to encourage good costuming, US larp has a brighter future.
>>
I need a good, reasonably priced site for armor.

Anyone got links?
>>
>>9280575
Gonna ask the usual strain of questions here:
1. Country?
2. What kind of armour we talking here, late medieval full plate, chainmail and small plate, etc. etc?
3. Larp only or reenactment quality?
4. How puffy are your nipples, post pics just to be sure.
5. Price category you see as reasonable.
>>
>>9280575
A lot of sites carry armor that varies wildly in price and quality. Most of the time you want to look at manufacturer, not the site selling it. As a rule though, you should probably avoid any armor that's marked as "LARP armor" because usually that means it's cheaply made and not as durable as the real thing, and therefore likely to break. Also, it's often tacky as fuck.

Anyway, if you want me to just throw a few sites at you, some that come to mind are Museum Replicas, Dark Knight Armory, Kult of Athena, Get Dressed For Battle, and Wulflund Armory. Those all carry stuff that ranges in quality from shit to good.

In general, I think it's mostly agreed here that Epic Armory and Mytholon products are of poor quality. Maybe Windlass too, I'm not sure. Lord of Battles is decent quality and well priced, GDFB is good quality, and I think Deepeka and Palnatoke are decent too, though I'm not totally sure about those.
>>
>>9280642
while mytholon is generally bad for armours I think they recently got a few worthwile helmets. Although it varies a lot.
>>
File: figure.jpg (43KB, 534x800px) Image search: [Google]
figure.jpg
43KB, 534x800px
>>9280625
1. USA
To be honest, I'm going for this whole look here.
I'd post a pic of my nipple but I'm confident it'll be fine.

>>9280642
Noted.
>>
File: 5G2-IN9104XL-2_1024x1024.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5G2-IN9104XL-2_1024x1024.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>>9280575

https://www.medievaldepot.com/collections/armor

Cheapest site I know of for metal armor, pretty good quality too.

Their weapons are shite though.
>>
>>9278718

I would get mad at that group, but I suspect this is just some high quality bait.

Hats off to you sir.
>>
>>9278036
Even after you explained it, it still sounds retarded.

If there's an ammo limit restriction, why not just stick with that? Especially considering it's post-apoc where I'm sure bullets aren't just regularly found/distributed everywhere. It makes sense to only have 20 rounds. So just work with the 20 shots you have.

It seems like a really pointless stretch to add hand-thrown seed packets for extra "bullets". Doesn't throwing beanbags really take away from the immersion of shooting at each other with guns?

These weird, hard rules that exist for very loose and illogical reasons other than "because I said so" are the reason I will never get into any form of LARP.

Like, I get it: Rules make a game what it is. No rules = no game. But when there are so many rules that govern every single action you could make (No walking outside the markers! Only 3 steps per turn! Only lightest-touch melee! Improper firing stance! Sorry that shot didn't count because it's 4:15 pm and Jupiter is in the third house) to the very words you choose to say (No shouting or swearing please!), it starts to ruin the freeform nature of LARP.

Like, if I make some desperate long-range shot with my last round that travels across the field and hits some motherfucker while he was reloading, that should count as a god damn hit, not a forfeit shot because I was "out of range" and the guy was preoccupied.

That kind of shit, combined with the power-trip attitudes I hear a lot of these guys have from controlling/playing a power fantasy game, are two of the biggest walls keeping people out of the hobby and ridiculing it.
>>
File: 2015-12-10 19.43.03.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10 19.43.03.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>9280771
>Especially considering it's post-apoc where I'm sure bullets aren't just regularly found/distributed everywhere
Because (in dystopia rising at least) Firearms are already so laughably under powered that limiting the total shots you may have would make them absolutely useless.
If you couldn't call special attacks with them, I'm pretty sure no one would bother right now either.
Now, if you could reliably down a basic zombie with 2-3 shots, the 20 rounds restriction would make sense.
Too bad you need more in the 20-30 range.

>These weird, hard rules that exist for very loose and illogical reasons other than "because I said so" are the reason I will never get into any form of LARP.
To be honest, that was the number two reason why I stopped playing and instead just focus on the crafting part. Number one being crippling social anxiety...
>>
With all that post-apoc talk around, I need ideas for:
A) Post-Apoc armour that'll look not too trash
B) A sword design, perhaps sabre-ish in looks but not nessecary, that'll fit a post-apoc game. I'm gonna make it myself but IDK how to desogn it
>>
>>9280810
>in dystopia rising at least) Firearms are already so laughably under powered that limiting the total shots you may have would make them absolutely useless.

Fuckin' hell. Is there any point to them, then? Or is it so laughably bad I should just scrap the the character concept/gun I've been sinking money and time into and just hit people with a dicksword whilst wearing slightly muddy military fatigues?
>>
>>9280858
I think somebody wrote up a big spiel about doing post-apocalyptic armor last thread. Did anybody happen to screencap it?
>>
did some painting for an upcoming post apoc larp.
>>
File: I need those parry frames.png (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
I need those parry frames.png
1MB, 1024x1024px
Is this thing any good for $20-ish? I'm mainly just going to use it for a cosplay prop
>>
>>9281029
.... Wat?
I have no idea what it is, except a buckler I guess?
Send link with more info.
>>
>>9280890
Yep! DR is kind of notorious for throwing around huge HP pools, even among really game-y LARPs. Guns are basically just swords that have an unreasonably short number of uses per battle. Also you have to pick up every shot you fire, without fail, so have fun scouring the ground for your missed shots after a fight.
Tbh if your larp brands itself as post-apoc but falls back on sword-and-board tapfights and packet throwing then it really isn't post-apoc now is it?

>>9281029
That's the CS plastic one, right? Pretty gud for cosplay stuff. Just remember that it's supposed to be used with those awful CS plastic wasters, so steel will chew it right the fuck up if you ever intend to spar with it.
>>
>>9281068
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92BKPB-Medieval-Buckler/dp/B006YBXYYS/ref=pd_sim_468_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XR8Z1MBSKT5Q366ENZAJ I meant to send that last night, sorry

>>9281140
What's wrong with Cold Steel's training stuff?
>>
File: IMG_1166.jpg (55KB, 1014x293px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1166.jpg
55KB, 1014x293px
>>9281214
>What's wrong with Cold Steel's training stuff?

I think the problem with them is, that even though they tout themselves as plastic swords, they're more like clubs, in comparison, due to their extremely thick edges, unlike pic related, from rawlings. this makes them unrealistic to handle, which, granted, is going to happen due to them being plastic and all, but due to their build, they're extremely inflexible, and more like a club than anything else. So, in other words, they don't handle well, don't simulate well, and are like baseball bats. Much better alternatives on the market.
>>
>>9281140
Jesus. I left my local Alliance LARP hoping for something better, and the fact that DR has a focus on 'no senority' and had everyone take NPC shifts seemed like a step up, IMO, but I dunno how I feel about more tapfights that involve pommel holding and guys moaning about how they could've won the fight in 'real life.' I feel kind of silly for investing all this money into good LARP gear, considering that DR and Alliance are the only choices in my state beyond Amtgard stuff.
>>
>>9281028
Where are you from anon and what game is it?
Seems like we all have postapoc games soon
>>
File: 1685436584.jpg (116KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
1685436584.jpg
116KB, 960x639px
>>9281028
that looks so great! the use of those belts makes the whole weapon feel more post-apoc.

>>9281270
i hope you don't mind, but what state are you located in? here in Pennsylvania there are a TON of different larps locally or just a short drive to a bordering state.
>>
>>9280543
>Bright future
Fuck yeah

I never understood the desire to keep your "look" if it means keeping the same costume. Realistically, your character would need new clothes and change. I update my costume slowly but steadily and constantly. Leaving the expensive/important pieces (armor/trinkets)
If you cone in with just one change, you can still look like your character. Just switching pants or just a tunic or cloak. Rinse repeat until you basically have a new costume. I've seen people wear the same garb for 2+ years and dont understand. don't you get tired of the same old clothes?
>>
>>9281329
Colorado. Not much, I'm afraid, but enough that there is still a sizable LARP community, that sticks to what they've got.
>>
>>9281270
>DR has a focus on 'no senority'
AH! Ah-hahahahha!
>>
File: Kim-Jong-Un_2978093b.jpg (53KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Kim-Jong-Un_2978093b.jpg
53KB, 620x387px
>>9281364
Sweet lord, no. Well, maybe it won't be as bad as Alliance Denver.

...Probably not, because it's the same folks in both groups.
>>
>>9281294
I think postapoc is very popular because it's the easiest setting to find gear for, without being too "mundane" like an urban fantasy game.

>>9281352
Right? I keep my costume mostly the same because it's very distinctive and recognizable, but even then, just dropping or adding a layer, acquiring a trinket now and then, small changes like that, can add so much variety. And yet I see so many people who wear the same fatigues/leather jacket/fingerless gloves combo year after year.

My larp may not have the usual Amerilarp tricorn epidemic, but we got "military casual" out the ass to make up for it.
>>
>>9281371
Let me put this into PvP terms:
A long term player can put a newbie into bleed out with one attack.
A newbie can not kill a long term player. Just not gonna happen.

In other terms:
Your starting weapons deal about 3-4 damage. Most enemies have HP pools well beyond 40.
Boss monsters have in the 3 digit range.

While you start with about 8-15 HP
>>
>>9278528
>>9280543
>>9281352
>>9281352

Thats fucking awesome!

>>9280642
KoA is a merchant, the rest you listed are manufacturers. You can buy it all on KoA, and they are damn good folks.

>>9281029
For cosplay, its fine. Anything more than boffers or cosplay kills them to pieces. We've cracked them with wooden waster in my local WMA/HEMA groups.

>>9281214
For the same price, you can get a proper wooden waster or light metal blunt, that handles better and is less prone to cracking and warping.
>>
>>9277877
The complaining players were in the wrong from the sound of it, as after a single combat you police your brass and have those bullets back anyway. Organizers sound like they were trying to at least in the temporary quiet the loudest voices of the annoyed, I'm willing to bet begrudgingly.
The player huffed and went home, which is understandable because he worked hard as a new guy on his costume and gear from the sound of it. Frustration and compliance with the game as presented only to be hit the whims of some asshats.

I've seen players with decorative bandoliers and magazines at my local post apoc larp...and from that 20 dart limit specifically.

20, it feels like a specific number?

Dystopia Rising? And if I'm right, what chapter?

>>9278036
DR is a human vs zombies, among each other and other things, game where they do the 20 dart limit, though after the fight's done folks are usually allowed to "Police their brass" and load up for later.
>>
>>9278168
>Shit, if I was playing a Post-Apoc game and I had empty mags, I'd fucking put them on display, it's called bluffing that I'm better equipped than I really am so folk are less inclined to fuck with me.

You get it. You fucking get it. Look too bad enough to mess with so you have some breathing room.
>>
>>9281376
And I'm semi-okay with that, I just hated how I felt like I was just there to call out numbers, like in Alliance. The very first RP that wasn't just knowing my cabin members in-game, was some puzzle, where I got told not to touch anything, or I'd mess it up. Throughout the event, I got into very little RP, because most thing were either combat heavy or more experienced folks would just take over the conversation when I tried to talk.

The one dungeon I go on, I just sit on my rear, twiddling my thumbs whilst some high level characters have this back and forth forever with this Golem thing that swings for three times my health and inflicts that same amount of damage even if they make contact with your weapon instead of you. And, at the end of it, we couldn't even finish because the GM running had to attend some guild meeting in character because it was getting late.

The most fun I had was fighting some bees, bulls, and water sprites to make some special candle, which I had stumbled into, and that was maybe half an hour of a day and a half of me being there.

I dunno. The guide I had also said that that high-low gap thing was a problem for the organizers, as well, but at the end of it, I just gave up saturday night because I felt so silly. I knew that it wasn't going to be anything like Skyrim but in real life, but it just felt like I didn't matter at all, for anything.

I also spent $400 or so on gear/garb/weapons and whatnot, and now I have no idea what to do with it all.
>>
>>9281375
>fatigues/leather jacket/fingerless gloves combo

I wear hiking pants/armored leather jacket/fingered gloves combo. Is that any better?

But seriously. Fuck fingerless gloves.
>>
>>9281376
And that's why I avoid the combat game for the most part and go full social and just interact with folks. Haven't been playing very long and have just something basic to smack or shoot with so I don't get caught with my pants down and rely on stuff that pends on mechanics as little as possible...

Though knowing people who touch on the combat aspects of the game has brought up a weird sentiment I've heard/seen in the periphery of things as far as seniority goes. This is a paraphrase. "I'm no longer worried about my own safety, but for those around me when things go down,"
>>
>>9281414
>"I'm no longer worried about my own safety, but for those around me when things go down,"

I've heard this, too. However, whenever you bring up the idea of bumping down their strength, whether it be a new character or just talking with the Organizers and just lowering their power level, they always brush it off with "but muh high-level threats."

There wouldn't be 2000hp monsters who swing for 150 if those guys didn't exist.
>>
>>9281214
CS training stuff... isn't.
It's just not good in the least, at least not the ones aimed at HEMA/WMA. They're massively overweight and balanced like lengths of rebar. They also have absolutely no give and have hard, angled edges, making them thoroughly unsuited for actual sparring.
You could argue that they're usable for pell work and solo practice, but by that point you could drop cash on a wooden Purpleheart or NSA waster.

>>9281407
This is my problem with the big national games like Alliance or DR. Each one is built on the bones of NERO -even if they don't want to admit it- and inherited it's godawful combat system and approach to storytelling. Combat needs to take forever because the actual content in game is fucking wafer-thin.
These games cater to their old-timers so goddamn hard, and it's such a shame to see young, bright-eyed players come in, get shat on and overlooked, and leave disillusioned. Hell, most of these newbies are just flat out better roleplayers, costumers, and even fighters than the people choking out my local scene.

Also
>swings for three times my health and inflicts that same amount of damage even if they make contact with your weapon instead of you.
I had a conversation with a sympathetic GM after I bolted from Alliance, and evidently monsters swinging for Massive is legitimately one of the only things they can do to break the high-level sword-and-shield metagame.
>>
File: BestHelmet.gif (2KB, 400x156px) Image search: [Google]
BestHelmet.gif
2KB, 400x156px
So can anybody find me a better helmet than the kettle helmet?

Protip: you can't.
>>
>>9281530
you are my african american gentleman

>>9281376
well... I always said that hit point systems are shit.
Also, leveling systems are also shit most of the time
>>
>>9281411
If your setup consists of *more* than just that, and still looks unique and personalized, then I'd say there's no problem with it. It's mainly when I see these combinations where you can plainly tell the guy just bought these things a week before the game and keeps them in pristine shape all the time.

I actually like fingerless gloves a lot, but just like any other costume piece, you have to use them right. I use them for one of my characters, but it's because he's basically a hobo, and not of the murder variety.
>>
>>9281574
Whoops, forgot to take off my name.
Anyway...
>>9281438
>I had a conversation with a sympathetic GM after I bolted from Alliance, and evidently monsters swinging for Massive is legitimately one of the only things they can do to break the high-level sword-and-shield metagame.
Yeah, talking with my own game's organizers and lower-level staff after each event, I'm starting to see a similar pattern in my own game. To a lesser degree, but still there. We've run into the issue of "combos" and "spell resists" in our magic system interacting to create a meta where the best way to protect against magic is to always have a spell resist buff--which means that monsters always have to have them too, so a PC doesn't trivialize every fight by hitting the monster with a disabling spell. Which leads to PCs needing to be able to throw a spell multiple times or else every monster will resist it, so they spend all their money and skill points on stuff that lets them do that. But then monsters and PCs need to have *multiple* spell resists in order to get the same effect as before, which leads to PCs needing to stack their spell combos even higher, etc. etc.

Other than that I love my game, but that has solidly convinced me that in any larp I might make in the future, there will be no defenses allowing anybody to "no-sell" an attack. That only leads to lazy fighting and escalation.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480406703278.jpg (27KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480406703278.jpg
27KB, 528x528px
>>9281530
Silence peasant, before I cancel Christmas!
>>
>>9281696
No m'lord, not Christmas! Think of little Timmy, m'lord, please!
The whole town has been saving up, and we even prepared a giant statue of icey mud as a feast meal.
We would be ever so sad if you were to cancel it.
>>
>>9281703
Fine fine... just bring your least inbred daughters to the estate! Back to your hovel!
>>
File: IMG_5589.jpg (3MB, 2848x4272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5589.jpg
3MB, 2848x4272px
>>9281696
get a boat and start paddling because you have to cross the big pond to come at me!
>>
File: Mark Cordroy Creations.jpg (410KB, 736x937px) Image search: [Google]
Mark Cordroy Creations.jpg
410KB, 736x937px
Here's the start of a list for LARP equipment. I have only listed the companies that have been mentioned in this thread so far. I will also be adding some airsoft suppliers as they have more modern gear for post-apoc and modern LARPs.

Medieval Depot - https://www.medievaldepot.com/collections/armor
Museum Replicas - http://www.museumreplicas.com/
Dark Knight Armory - http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/
Kult of Athena - http://www.kultofathena.com/
Get Dressed For Battle - http://www.gdfb.co.uk/
Wulflund Armory - https://www.wulflund.com/
Epic Armoury - http://www.epicarmoury.com/
Mytholon - http://www.mytholon.com/en/
Windlass - http://windlass.com/
Lord of Battles - http://www.lordofbattles.com/
Deepeeka - http://www.deepeeka.in/
Palnatoke - http://www.palnatoke.com/

Links for actual games?
>>
>>9282726
you can add wyvern and calimacil if it's for general equipment not just for armour.

also gathering actual game links is a bad idea I think because you will never have a good enough list just from 4chan and people will tend to think that if something isn't on the list then it doesn't exists.
>>
>>9282729

Added

Wyvern - http://www.wyvern.de/crafts/
Calimacil - http://www.calimacil.com/

Personally I think if we list the games we at least give people a starting point to finding something that is a) close to them b) has an active membership c) might be fun to join. This is 4chan so they will probably just be some persons private fantasy wankfest of a LARP but at least we might get a good story out of it.
>>
>>9282735
if people ask around for it then they are more likely to get something with an active membership. Also it will make people to ask around for it and makes a conversation.
But I won't stop you from making that list
>>
File: ribbit.jpg (92KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
ribbit.jpg
92KB, 427x640px
>>9281530
The morion: Specifically, some of the ones they had in aguirre looked really nice.
Also the frog-helms look aesthetic, but they're jousting only.
>>
>>9282749
the morion is technically a kettle hat bastard child so technically it's a kettle hat, but we doesn't talk about it
>>
>>9281438
>>9281613
>>9281376
I know the DR guys are launching a new game called Utopia Descending, but their new combat system will use a non increasing 3 hits per limb to disable and five hits to body to put in lengthy bleed out.
>>
>>9282877
>3 hits per limb to disable and five hits to body to put in lengthy bleed out.
so instead to be full retard they choose to have a simple down syndrome?
>>
>>9282900
eh, part of the premise of the game is that all player characters are some flavor of post human. I'd be more forgiving and describe it more as asperger's.

And I say that while wanting to give the game a try.
>>
>>9282907
so... special snowflake paradise?
>>
>>9282911
Fuck if I know, the first game of it isn't until April. It supposed to be about meta humans vs creatures of myth spilling into future earth through rifts in space in areas cordoned off by and owned by megacorps that have all but replaced the governments of earth.
>>
>>9282918
I think I heard about that, yeah. Isn't it supposed to be a prequel to DR? Like, "this is the stuff that made DR's zombie apocalypse happen"?

It's good to see that they're trying something a little more intuitive at least, even if it's still slightly retarded.
>>
>>9282702
Say that to my face, and not across a continent and see what happens, scrub!
>>
File: Orcs.jpg (10KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
Orcs.jpg
10KB, 274x184px
I have been trying to find a Shadowrun LARP, does anybody know one?
>>
>>9281294
Australia, a dude who runs the largest fantasy LARP is starting a post apoc one, keen af
>>
>>9283066
Oh my fucking god I was writing a long ass reply to this on mobile when some bullshit ad on the fucking page forwarded me to some as about Harp Mortgages and I want to fucking shank Mootwo for not better policing or vetting ads because now I have to write my entire fucking reply over again Jesus fuck! No, no long reply. Just basics.

UD isn't the prequel to DR, it's another IP by the same guys to be a thematic counter. The DR prequel is an ARG called The Rocksalt Conspiracy, which is supposed to have small scale invite only parlor LARPs for players who buy in with post game debrief/feedback sessions and it was first announced earlier this year at Dreamation after the DR con mod Beacon Hill where a bunch of survivors old and new basically played live action tower defense/rebuild a broken fortress against zombies and raiders during a simulated indoor rad hurricane with industrial fans, intermittent water bursts, and a pretty kickass light and sound board settup.
>>
File: 11a.jpg (86KB, 490x275px) Image search: [Google]
11a.jpg
86KB, 490x275px
Does anyone know of a good way to store latex larp weapons at home without using up too much space? I fear the method in pic related would dig into the weapons after a while but they need to be separate otherwise they might stick together.
>>
>>9284185
Maybe this is me being studid, but what about wrapping then in wax paper or a baking parchment if you're going to pack them somewhere that sticking might be an issue?
>>
>>9284160
>a bunch of survivors old and new basically played live action tower defense/rebuild a broken fortress against zombies and raiders during a simulated indoor rad hurricane with industrial fans, intermittent water bursts, and a pretty kickass light and sound board settup.

Damn, why do only the most LCD larps get such sweet budget benefits?
>>
>>9285295
Well, it was for a convention event that was the eighth anniversary of the game, started at the same con with a similar scenario. In part probably why they scrounged up a budget for it...though considering it was a convention event it didn't have a built in registration based profit so it was done just for the hell of it and it was great.

Though at the same time it seems like it is a profitable LARP in general because they bought a big ass Military surplus truck for one of the national events this past September.
>>
File: IMG_3724.jpg (94KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3724.jpg
94KB, 480x360px
Anyone have any info on good quality arming doublets/late gambesons? A lot of what I see available online looks pretty shit. I'd take a good pattern as well, I'm not fussy. 15th century is prefered, but im open to other periods.

Have a stylish angel for your trouble.
>>
File: call the provost.jpg (342KB, 960x642px) Image search: [Google]
call the provost.jpg
342KB, 960x642px
>>9283084
so suddenly you are afraid to cross the pond? Don't worry, you can float through it with an appropriate pigface bascinet!
>>
>>9285623
there is two patterns for doublets I think in the medieval tailors assistant, but those are civilian ones not armoing doublets. Although you can kind of easily modify it to an arming doublet.
Just remember that around late 15 heavy padding wasn't a must have and sometimes they left it out completely
>>
>>9286134
Cheers mate, will have a look around
>>
File: 36ursu06.jpg (165KB, 809x1096px) Image search: [Google]
36ursu06.jpg
165KB, 809x1096px
>>9285623
I have tons. Late 15thC is my jam, but the biggest question is if you're talking arming doublets/coats, or gambesons/jacks? As hungarian says in >>9286134, padding for under armour was much lighter than proper quilted defenses, but there is also much in the way of documentation for armour over quilted defenses, especially in the case of those who are not armoured cap-e-pie.

>>9286129
Not afraid, just unable to afford it. Until God-Emperor Trump launches a crusade against you dirty Slavs!

Also, I think we both can agree pigfaced bascinets are shitty.
>>
>>9286660
>Until God-Emperor Trump launches a crusade against you dirty Slavs!
you will be on the other side of the wall by then gypo,
Also last time I heard Trump licked the shoes of slavs.

And yeah, most bascinets are shitty.
>>
File: jack.jpg (34KB, 342x366px) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
34KB, 342x366px
>>9286667
>you will be on the other side of the wall by then gypo,
>Also last time I heard Trump licked the shoes of slavs.

Yeah yeah. Depending on how bad shit gets, I might piss off back to Halifax. I'd be neighbors with Owlface, and a few hours drive from Frenadian and Ontariolarpfag at least.
>>
>>9286660
>>9286667

I love it when Gropey and Hungarian flirt.
>>
>>9286761
Hunagrian is my Waifu. Don't be jealous of what we got, faggot.
>>
>>9286772
sadly you will have to share on me with several others, it's not like you can steal me like everything else, baka!
>>
File: 1337129358344.jpg (146KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1337129358344.jpg
146KB, 600x800px
>>9286795
D-d-don't make me curse you, sempai! *Doki doki*
>>
>>9286795
>>9286797
Just fuck already.
Bet you Hungarian is top.
>>
>>9286814
Im a dominant bear power top. Jealous, Scottish?
>>
>>9286828
Yes.
I too want to snuggle you and stroke your mutton-chops.
>>
>>9286838
>I too want to snuggle you and stroke your mutton-chops.

Oh... I had to shave my sideburns off months ago for work. They are out of regulation for French or American troops during the American Revolutionary war.
>>
>>9286828
your italian heritage makes you automatically the bottom
>>
>>9286861
I do not understand your logic.
>>
>>9286864
AND YOU NEVER WILL!!!
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480874775260.jpg (135KB, 960x656px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480874775260.jpg
135KB, 960x656px
>>9286866
Love me, Hungary-chan ;_;
>>
File: stab3.jpg (79KB, 309x561px) Image search: [Google]
stab3.jpg
79KB, 309x561px
>>9286882
>>
File: SAM_1936.jpg (2MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1936.jpg
2MB, 4320x3240px
How does one get all pro and stuff like Gropry and HLF?
>>
>>9286987
Time, effort, research and mutual support. Thats why we give advice and patterns and shit.

For fantasy larps, equate them to a time period and culture IRL. Warhammer fantasy is NOT!16thC Europe for example, and then start with real-world patterns and clothes, that are then dressed up. etc. Think like a person in clothing, not a character in costume. Same with skills.
>>
>>9286660
>Late 15thC is my jam, but the biggest question is if you're talking arming doublets/coats, or gambesons/jacks?
I'm open to either, but would prefer arming doublets. Going for a dressed-down look at camp that I can expand on later. Cheers, Gropey.
>>
>>9287191
"Open to either" sounds kinda odd to me. My quilted jack weighs somewhere around 8 pounds, and is a much thicker garment.

My strongest suggestion is download the men's clothing guide from the Company of Saynt George, which has an excellent free PDF. http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/?q=en/Costume_Guide

Got a particular culture? Are you looking to make or buy? For about $100USD, you can get a decent one of either for generic late 15thC

Arming doublets
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7121E&name=15th+Century+Arming+Doublet+%2D+Natural+

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7121R&name=15th+Century+Arming+Doublet+%2D+Red

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7121BK&name=15th+Century+Arming+Doublet+%2D+Black+

Gambeson

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7107BK&name=15th+Century+Gambeson+%2D+Black

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7107E&name=15th+Century+Gambeson+%2D+Natural
>>
Parrying Dagger OP
Cold Steel please nerf
>>
>>9287191
And Another: Company of Saint Sebastian

http://www.saint-sebastian.org.uk/k_jacks.htm
>>
>that one guy in the light milsim/zombie larp who dresses extremely tactically, has ridiculous amounts of gadgets, but also has no problems dying dramatically every time he's shot.

On the one hand, the guy's armaments are ridiculous. He's got two automatic wrist guns ala deadshot, a 'tactical' revolver with stock that he uses with CAR, and a bolt action rifle, and is this weird mix of looking tactical, while, in fact, running and gunning. However, he has no qualms about accepting hits, and always staggers around dramatically when shot or dying. I'd say it's attention-seeking behavior, but he's pretty decent OOC and has no problems admitting he sucks.

I just don't know what to make of it.
>>
>>9286987
I'm hardly a pro, but not having a life certainly helps.

>>9287220
phsss... nothing personnel kid...
>>
>>9287212
Welp, other anon here, but I never knew I needed a sleeveles doublet untill now.

Time to puff up.
>>
>>9286856
>Oh... I had to shave my sideburns off months ago for work. They are out of regulation for French or American troops during the American Revolutionary war.

Fuckin dropped.
Also, I do approve of the correct term for that conflict.

>>9286987
As Gropey said, time, effort and actually caring about the hobby/games you play in.
>>
File: IMG_5417_1_.jpg (51KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5417_1_.jpg
51KB, 500x333px
>>9287220
Did you try Buckler?
>>
>>9274790
I have a square meter of vinyl. What kind of stuff could I make with it?

I'm a relatively new player, so I can pretty much go any direction, since my garb is pretty neutral right now. My larp is also very fantasy based, so anything goes.

So, thoughts guys?
>>
>>9283898
In Finland there's one campaign, but I doubt that info helps...
>>
>>9278718
Assuming this happened, I'd side with the guy.

I mean, he was being a dick, but constantly insulting somebody for their political choice then outright calling them a racist is bullying, which is the worse thing here.

If I were a GM, I'd give him a dressing down, and tell him personal insults he knows would hurt aren't allowed.

I'd then give every player who joined in a warning that bullying is not tolerated, and that they're all on thin ice. I'd also potentially punish any who brought up real world politics. I'd also be having a word with any kind of guild leaders that have a position of authority, and make it clear that any bullying on either side is gonna result in a ban.
Tl;dr:
Dude was a prick, but it should never have come to that. GM's should have helped him out waaaay before that, or not have intervened at all.
>>
>>9287372
He sounds like a cool guy. One who is there to have fun. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>9287212
>>9287267
Cheers, thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. That Saint Sebastian link is a godsend. Was thinking of making one, but those KoA ones are pretty stylish. I'm leaning toward eastern France for a point of origin, but haven't been able to find much on that look. A lot of the promising links on the armour archive are defunct, so I'm doing a lot of creative googling atm.
>>
File: I feel pretty.jpg (48KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
I feel pretty.jpg
48KB, 540x720px
>>9287584
Puffy shoulders a best.

>>9287659
>square meter of vinyl
Gimp mask and matching codpiece. Next question.

>>9287914
Eastern France is still going to be Continental (Burgundian, Italian, German) influenced. Did you check the Saynt George PDF?
>>
>>9287928
>Did you check the Saynt George PDF?
It's exactly what I was after, thanks for the link.
>>
File: gambeson_type_12_0.jpg (44KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
gambeson_type_12_0.jpg
44KB, 479x720px
Cheap and fun christmas presents for medieval larp/re enactor.. Help!!!
>>
>>9288002
*Toiletries. Seriously. Wood/horn combs. Brass tweezers. A nice bar of proper soap and a good period style towel.

*Social goods like decks of period playing cards. Wood/horn/bone dice.

Really cheap but useful? Get a big spool of waxed cotton cord, a spool of natural colored cotton or linen quilting thread, and a cheap back of small wooden spools from a craft store. I use that for my "12th night gifts for people I don't wanna spend a lot on" bulk stuff. Super useful.

I can provide links, But I get discounts of historic repro stuff like that work. I have been toying with selling stuff one of these days.
>>
I'm thinking of buying some elf ears from aradani costumes. Anyone have any experience with them? (looks like a site revamp wiped all the reviews)
>>
>>9288048
>elf ears from aradani costumes

i have a pair of both the Moon and Nomad. both sets have held up great over a year or so of being put through all sorts abuse. i do like the Nomad ones more than the Moon. my ears are larger and they fit nice and snug.
>>
>>9288056
I'm assuming it will be better to spring for the pro kit with the matching rmg stack
>>
File: 5392942_3681796344_5cRrd.jpg (270KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5392942_3681796344_5cRrd.jpg
270KB, 1920x1200px
>>9287372
Playing dead properly is a good thing IMO, sounds like a really cool dude. 8/10 would befriend.

Post fantasy/historical LARP inspo
>>
File: 1435599463346.jpg (446KB, 2400x1522px) Image search: [Google]
1435599463346.jpg
446KB, 2400x1522px
>>9288350
>>
>>9288350
How about a "please" as well as narrowing down what you're looking for?
>>
Gropalope (or friendly anon from earlier) you got any tuts or advice for applying RMG to skin and latex?
If so, would you be so kind as to post them please?
>>
File: guide.jpg (190KB, 816x896px) Image search: [Google]
guide.jpg
190KB, 816x896px
>>9288436
Same as typical greasepaint to skin, but you have to make sure your latex is completely clean and dry.
>>
>>9288389
No
>>
>>9288569
Well then.
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
>>9288572
It wasn't the same anon as the OP (me).
However, it was more of a suggestion to share cool pictures with each other rather than a 'gib me stuffs' kinda thing.
>>
File: 1380390891945.jpg (342KB, 1320x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1380390891945.jpg
342KB, 1320x1760px
>>9288569
I like your style, what should be on the pics?
>>
>>9287914
Besides the saint Sebastien link I could also advice you to check out the medieval tailor's assistant. It's got a better in depth explanation of how to create a doublet. Atleast to me it did.

http://www.strony.toya.net.pl/~kuswir/MTA.pdf
>>
>>9284197
so just laying them down somewhere flat would be the best option? (with was paper/baking parchment)
>>
>>9288744
Aye, I got directed to that earlier in the thread. Looking at it along with the other two has helped me to get a feel for how to go about making the doublet and hose I want.
>>
>>9287372
>mfw most popular faction in my game is the tacticool steampunks who mostly just stand around looking tacticool and turtling behind greatshields
>mfw it's a fantasy game
>>
>>9287372
Sounds like a cool guy to be honest. I play a medieval fantasy larp, and there are guys who will rp hard, and put effort into it, then some guy they beat just flatline says "I'm dead, stop hitting me". Really kills the realism, and some of the newbies really pick up on it and get a bit put out.

Then there are players like your guy, who rock up and RP really fucking hard, and it's awesome. You can almost feel like you ARE in the setting. Newbies generally react pretty well to them, and it's great to see an awesome death sequence when you kill them.
Anyway, I'd say he's just really into the RP aspect of it, and trying to make it real for people. Sounds like a good guy. How he acts OOC is generally a decent indicator too.
>>
>>9289566
>Tacticool steampunk
All if my yes!
>Turtling behind shields.
Awh.):
>>
>>9290618
The fact that's all leather really kills the look for me, few pieces of plate armour would've looked so much better imo.
>>
>>9290650
I'm really sorry that you lost your sense of style
>>
>>9276219
Larping newfag here; this sounds like a decent idea, since I desperately need armor. I just googled how to do it quickly, but the tutorials were pretty spartan. Any words of advice, or things to watch out for before I start ordering shit?
>>
Post apoc larp kit done for now.

Nano-suit looking prosthetic arm, environmental protection helmet, quickdraw holster.
>>
>>9290684
of you mean advice for chainmail: the armpits will be a clusterfuck. Also, don't make it too large, it should fit you properly not like trousers on a cow
>>
>>9290694
Ah, ok, thanks. I'll be careful with measurements, and probably make it a vest, or just have a gap in the armpits.

Last newfag question;

For a 6'2 guy who's average build, approx how many rings/lbs of rings should I be looking at ordering? Most likely either steel or aluminium.
>>
>>9290698
don't make a vest. That looks shit (and also gives you less area that supports the weight of the whole thing). make it at least a t-shirt shaped thing.
Also you will need a belt to properly distribute the weight.
>>
>>9290700
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make a shirt to try to distribute the weight a bit better. I've got a sturdy leather belt I can use as well.

I'm just a little lost on how many rings this is gonna take for the basic pattern. I don't suppose there's a ballpark figure anywhere?
>>
>>9290684
This article has some good information on how to tailor your maille in order to achieve a good fit.

http://www.the-exiles.org/Article%20chain.htm

As Hungarian says, properly fitted maille is important and making your own instead of buying off the shelf allows it to made to a real person's measurements. Not only can you avoid the billowy and baggy look, but making your own fitted byrnie saves time and weight.

There is a great photo floating about of a guy who made a 13thC style hauberk that fitted like a glove and actually looks like the period artwork but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>9290703
seen somewhere a rule of thumb but can't really remember it. somewhere in the thousands I think, but really depends on the ring diameter

>>9290704
the full one with yelowish brown background and bad light?
>>
>>9290704
Thanks for the article! I'll read it now.

And yeah, the appeal to me is getting a vest (or most likely a shirt) that actually fits properly, since I really don't want to be constantly tripping over it.

>>9290710
>Really depends on ring diameter
Damn. I've just run into the horrible realm of different ring diameters, and I was hoping for an easy way out. I guess I'll have to just take the plunge and pick one.
>>
File: chainmail.jpg (220KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
chainmail.jpg
220KB, 720x960px
>>9290710
found the pic that is probably the one

>>9290718
well, because it is for a larp you don't have to worry much about it. It shouldn't be too big though, and it shouldn't be too thin otherwise it won't hold up.
Also no need to worry about such things as riveted and flat links as that's way out of your league right now.
>>
>>9290731
That's the one. I'd love to adjust my hauberk to look like that, but I wonder if it would not be easier to start from scratch.

>>9290718
>Damn. I've just run into the horrible realm of different ring diameters

Most butted links tend to be 8-9mm, which is at the larger end of historical examples but the standard for repro maille. A sidenote is how most modern maille vendors use the internal diameter, while archaeologists use internal diameter of the links.

Smaller looks better due to the denser weave but is slightly more work, either 8 or 9mm is fine. I think that 10mm is too big and loose-looking, but that could be just me.
>>
>>9290689
Any better pictures of the helmet? It looks rad as fuck.
>>
>>9290689
Looks pretty sweet!
>>
>>9290704
>and making your own instead of buying off the shelf allows it to made to a real person's measurements

A more sensible compromise, of course, is to buy off-the-shelf stuff, and then take out a row or two of links to get it to fit you exactly.
>>
>>9290689
Make the helmet yourself? Whats it made of?
>>
Are there qts in LARP?

Are they cute?
>>
>>9291217
Tons. If you can't talk to women outside of larping, you won't have any more luck.
>>
>>9287928
you would fit so much better in your kit if you dropped about 50 lbs.
>>
>>9291224
also "tons" if you have no standards. The only benefit is that you will have a similar hobby. There are no cute girls that Larp unless their boyfriend got them into it. And even those are often times at best 6/10. Enjoy..
>>
>>9291405
He's wearing thick padding with a belt that slid down. His more recent pics has him slimmer. I would say more like 15-20 pounds.

>>9291407
>My local game is both near a college and more story driven, so we get more girls of higher quality. BTW, you sound like a tool.
>>
>>9291449
>Wah wah you're such a tool how dare you like attractive women!
>You should lower your standards like I do! Personality is everything!
>>
File: IMG952256.jpg (71KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG952256.jpg
71KB, 577x1024px
>>9291452
>implying I had to settle.
Fedoras are not appropriate LARP attire at my scene, so you might not feel welcome.
>>
>>9291452
Tbh mate I've been to quite a bit of LARPs, and yeah, there's the occasional top-tier nerd girl.
But the best of nerd chicks is generally an 8... at best. I mainly attend roleplay heavy events, so the ratio of some events is even skewed for the women's side.
But even then, it's nerdy chicks, they're not all ugly. But when I drop down to the club I can tell you I see a whole lot more good lookin' girls than at a LARP.

If you go to a LARP with the intention to fix a chick you're a real mong though.
>>
File: 1350994629314.jpg (72KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1350994629314.jpg
72KB, 720x960px
>>9291405
>>9291449
I found one with his belt hiked up. He's a big guy, but hes a brick shithouse.

>>9291407
>>9291452
Wow, you're a fucking toolbag.
>>
>>9291407
>>9291452
I bet you're a nice guy.
>>
>>9291449
>>9291468
(Psst, guys, non-american here. What is a tool except the literal meaning?)
>>
>>9291407
well, I'm sorry that you live in the US

>>9291217
yep, there are cutes. Just as many as anywhere else

>>9291521
it's a political correct version of fool, or just a fucking idiot
>>
>>9291458
>Posting hog faced girl
>Didn't have to settle

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
>>
File: 1456810390919.jpg (36KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1456810390919.jpg
36KB, 500x364px
>>9291764
Post a picture of yourself and we'll start judging appearances for real, sweetheart.
>>
File: DidI.jpg (188KB, 515x725px) Image search: [Google]
DidI.jpg
188KB, 515x725px
>>9291776
But Im ugly? I know my kind, there's a reason Im in LARP thread and not a lolita
Orcs and goblins are common in fantasy
>>
File: 16thC brigantine suit.jpg (34KB, 255x387px) Image search: [Google]
16thC brigantine suit.jpg
34KB, 255x387px
>>9291468
I see a lot of gambesons like this, whats the point of the poofy shoulders?
>>
>>9291791
Stylish as fuck
>>
>>9291764
The fuck you talking about? Confirmed for no taste troll.

>>9291791
fashion.
>>
File: Local-Knight-Fucking-Dies.png (2MB, 1382x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Local-Knight-Fucking-Dies.png
2MB, 1382x1005px
Can I get some [F]?
>>
>>9291405
While >>9291449 is right about the belt, I have actually dropped 12 pounds of fat since that pic, and I am aiming for another 18 by March.

>>9291407
>>9291449
>>9291764
You are a real winner. Post that pic and show us your goblin-ness

>>9291791
Because the 80's is the 80's, no matter if its 1480 or 1980. Tight pants and padded shoulders are hip.

>>9291815
I have no idea what that is, but these are the guys with the diaper furry in a burlap sack.
>>
File: high crimes.jpg (41KB, 920x664px) Image search: [Google]
high crimes.jpg
41KB, 920x664px
>>9291986
Forgot my pic.
>>
File: okay.gif (4MB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
okay.gif
4MB, 300x407px
>>9291407
>I have been to literally every LARP ever and can say with authority that there is not a single girl who is attractive and LARPs.
>>
>>9291986
Goblin is only one of those comments you posted
Also, no never post a picture of yourself

Good job on losing the weight, put on some muscle and get hot

>>9292054
I dont think anon is completely right but as a general rule, 99% people who go to larp are not above a 6/10
>>
>>9292070
>put on some muscle
Gropalope is already hella strongfat buhurtfag.
>>
>>9292070
Anon, please, I am already hot. Don't deny it.
>>
>>9292070
99% of people are not above a 6/10, what's your point?
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-17+at+10.05.03).png (24KB, 602x202px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-17+at+10.05.03).png
24KB, 602x202px
>>9291989
Thank you for making me aware of this twitter's existence.
>>
Oh, Happy saturnalia larpfags!

>>9292119
He obviously finds 3D disgusting.

>>9292123
You're welcome. We used to post it more often.
>>
File: random.jpg (106KB, 564x849px) Image search: [Google]
random.jpg
106KB, 564x849px
>>9291462
this.
>>9291458
Your girl isn't attractive man, im sorry. Also you're trying to get us to judge her off her tits. Which is proof that shes not higher than a 6/10 and has to rely on her body.

>>9291468
>>9291986
you're still to large for the kit, but im proud you are trying to get your health and weight under wraps.

>>9291523
I'm not. We have better quality of life than your shitty fly over country. I can't even remember the last time you were relevant.

>>9291806
Get back to me when you've had a real woman.

>>9292080
>>9292096
Strongfat doesnt mean shit, its still unhealthy. But again. I'm glad your trying to get it under wraps. keep it up.

>>9292119
Right then lower it to 4/10 for larp.
>>
>>9292338
here's your [you] toolgoblin anon
>>
>>9291521
it's a synonym for dick
>>
>>9274823
I'm part of a battlegame that has anywhere between 200-500 people per night for $13. Goes for a few hours, and it's a heap of fun. Some people (myself included) are either new or lazy and don't put much effort into their costuming, but all weapons and armour are check and there are some people who really go crazy and have amazing outfits.
>>
>>9292338
Post a pic of yourself. This is larpthread, and we all do.
>>
>>9291407
>There are no cute girls at LARP

You're going to the wrong LARPs, buddy. Mine is a speed larp, with a decent emphasis on armour made from real metal, so most of the chicks are doing a few hours of cardio and carrying heavy shit per week. We have a massive amount of qts, and it's amazing.

My particular faction has a weirdly high amount of females, because we don't have more than one or two neckbeards in our group, so it's easy to moderate. Other factions in our game aren't so lucky; a few female friends of mine were part of another group but hated being called "The tits of the faction" and getting hit on by weirdos.

>>9291217
Yes. But it depends on the LARP. More action based LARPs have more qt's, since they're doing more exercise. Running around in heavy armour regularly really does wonders for anybody who tries it.

Warning though; if you can't get with women outside a LARP, don't expect your level 20 warlock or whatever to pull chics for you. Just talk to them like you would a guy, and don't be a neckbeard.
>>
>>9292407
Yeah I'm sorry, but i know for a fact your qts don't fit my standards. Like i said, the only bonus youll have is the fact you have a similar hobby. Ontop of 99% of larp girls being unattractive, most are also unhygienic(which also happens to be most neckbeards) Now, I've seen one or two out of the thousands of people who participate in my Larp that are MAYBE 7/10+ but they were ALWAYS brought into the game by their boyfriends, and I don't particularly like being a home wrecker or starting unnecessary drama.

>>9292397
I have. I've been stated to be the most attractive and douchey looking. ;)
>>
>>9292421
>I have. I've been stated to be the most attractive and douchey looking. ;)

Then you will have no problem posting one now, or linking to the archived thread.
>>
>>9292421
Kek. I really hope this is a troll post.
>>
>>9290737>>9290731

THanks for the advice, guys. I ordered a few aluminium jump rings and I'm gonna make a start as soon as they arrive. They're 8.7 mm, so they should be big enough to work with, but small enough to actually look good. I'll post pics when I'm done so spray paint sweater anon knows what he's getting into if he decides to give it a go himself.
>>
So to stop all the attention being given to Hobgobbo anon (and the fact the whole conversation is just about people's different standards for chicks wether they're justified or not.)

If I start out on my own doublet, or other IC clothing, should I be so tryhard as to do all my sewing by hand. Or is machine allowed?

Thoughts/opinions on this?
>>
File: yuh.jpg (605KB, 2035x1067px) Image search: [Google]
yuh.jpg
605KB, 2035x1067px
>>9290875
>>9291197
Yeah, I made it out of standard EVA floormat foam, painted with plastidip and acrylic paints, then like 6 layers of flexi-cote clearcoat.
>>
>>9292510
should be noted that it's my first attempt, and I plan on redoing it, but cleaning up seam lines, etc.
>>
>>9292475
The number of larps that would disapprove of machine stitching is very low, although all hand stitching may win brownie points with some.

The compromise is to machine stitch the inside of the garment and only hand stitch the seams that are visible when worn. Far quicker, and it looks just as good 99% of the time.

Handstitching does give you a wonderful sense of achievement, but is hardly necessary especially when starting out.
>>
>>9291986
These dudes?
>>
>>9292510
Looks really good. The roughness adds a bit to the post apoc

how is the vision out of it? Seems like it'd be hard to see
>>
>>9292475
Never played a larp where machine stitching was forbidden.

>>9292535 has a point though, the real anal costumers will give you points for hand stitching stuff.

Personally, my costume is machined. Seams are not visible anyway.
>>
>>9292440
Of course it is. Who actually buys into the stereotypes that hard in [current year]?
>>
>>9292475
>>9292535
>>9292666

>should I be so tryhard as to do all my sewing by hand. Or is machine allowed?

Well, considering that even most hardcore reenactment groups allow non-visible machine stitching, no larp in the world will care as long as it looks better than bed-sheet tabard battle gamers.

My visible stitches are all hand finished, but you bet your ass every internal seam of my clothes are serged. No one who is going to see the inside crotch seams of my hosen is going to care that they are machined.

>>9292549
The guys in the pic.

>>9292790
>Anno Domini 1482+534
>>
>>9292070
>99% people who go to larp are not above a 6/10
Even using the Puzsér scale I would question the 99%
And the Puzsér scale is more of a bell curve than a linear one.

1 - Ugly like an animal, Only advantage that it's organic matter.
2 - There are so desperate times when you would fuck it, but you would never tell it to anyone.
3 - You would fuck it at some point maybe, and even tell your friends (may or may not involves drinking)
4 - At this level the woman is totally acceptable, you don't have to be ashamed
5 - Average. God's default package.
6 - Above average. Good looking and would be a perfect wife material.
7 - Very good looking, usually every people had a crush on a woman like this (that they know personally)
8 - Top-model category, you might even have the problem to decide if you want to look at her or fuck her. People get jealous if you get someone like a 8 and they might be even willing to hurt you over it. Also that's the where mostly the men with bloated ego approaches her, while saner ones doesn't as they think she is out of their league.
9 - You will never have a girl like this. You need a statistician to look for here women like this in the population.
10 - You will have remorse if you jerk off to her. You want to marry her, you want to care about her. She is perfect and your dick would ruin her.
>>
>>9292338
>I can't even remember the last time you were relevant.
important. We never were important. Sadly we are relevant every now and then

>>9292407
>speed larp
Like, you guys dress as Flash, Superman, Sonic the hedgehog and such?
Or it's more nordic larp where you play as the concept of speed?
Are you guys go fast?
Is there a slow larp somewhere?
Players must go at least 10 m/s to enter the larp?

>>9292421
>I have. I've been stated to be the most attractive and douchey looking. ;)
Gropey, put back your trip

>>9292475
Even in reenactment there are usually machine sewed cloths everywhere. So it's not a problem
>>
>>9292803
Curious where you would place it.
Might just be here in america, but been to ~10 larps and have seen maybe 3 girls I'd rated 7+ and maybe 2 guys. (average 50 people an event)
I use the same scale, where 5 is the average.
>>
File: img_1891_24784537492_o.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
img_1891_24784537492_o.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
>>9292815
Well according to the Puzsér scale for example the girls from left to right I would say are
5, 7, 5ish
The last girl would be 6 but she has so many medical problems that it really takes a toll on her.
>>
File: img_1913_24902465625_o.jpg (1MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
img_1913_24902465625_o.jpg
1MB, 3648x5472px
>>9292821
oh fuck, wrong picture, the last girl isn't shown on that one.
here she is on a separate one
>>
File: 1478455997543.gif (1MB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
1478455997543.gif
1MB, 500x388px
>>9292821
>oh fuck, wrong picture
And here I was already starting up my Hungarian Larpfag yaoi slash fiction
>>
>>9292837
There is already one of Hungarian and Gropey around somewhere,
>>
>>9292840
I will need that for... research
>>
>>9292837
and once again, I foiled your plans
>>
>>9292821
>>9292825
these pictures are kinda proving my point
Even with your 7 (which Id rate at most a 6), everyone else is 5 and below.
And you don't have to lie. We are an accepting community regardless of who you want to shag
>>
>>9292847
Then I think this is the case of different oppinions
>>
>>9292852
Gotta agree with the earlier anon here, not that I feel I can attain much more than a 6 in my eyes. But really, if you go to a LARP to hit up chicks you're a twat.
Sure if you hit it off around the campfire while drinking, I guess you're good to go. But in the end that's not why you should be there, and neither is it why she's there.
>>
>>9292893
Well I disagree but I'm not gonna argue where a specific woman is on the scale. I mean everyone has their own preferences.
But what I'm gonna argue that 99% of the people are less then 7.
I mean yeah, there are a lot of ugly people on larps, I'm not a good looking one either, but the number seems too high for me, or maybe I just seen too many good larp pics. (or have lower standards, whichever you like)

And yeah, going to a game just to pic up chick isn't a good move, but I think that's generally agreed.
>>
>>9292909
>I'm not a good looking one either,
I politely disagree.

>And yeah, going to a game just to pic up chick isn't a good move, but I think that's generally agreed.
That's what the after-event meetup is there for.
And of course wanking about how awesome your character was in the last game...
>>
>>9292909
I think the good question to ask here is ask to the guys going against your opinion how many 7's they see on a day-to-day basis.

F.e. I say I see maybe a 7 once a week. At best.
>>
>>9292914
>And of course wanking about how awesome your character was in the last game...
That's a constant thing according to my experiences not tied to anything apart from a person
>>
>>9292809
>Gropey, put back your trip
Notr me dude. I am against that douche.

Also, I have never been described as "douchey" as of yet.

>>9292821
To be real, I have never actually used numbers, and they are all fairly attractive, but the woman in the red gown on your arm does it for me.

>>9292840
ugh.

>>9292844
it was... Something.

>>9292845
unf.
>>
File: IMG_20161218_202203488.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161218_202203488.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
Merry Christmas larp thread denizen's. May you all get bait and overzealous Hema bros in your stockings.

I just finished 6 knightly surcoats for my friends' little knee biters. I'm considering also grabbing some plastic swords from the dollar store to go with them but I think that may end up in mayhem and tears.

They are not at all supposed to be historically accurate in the least. Of course.

What do you all want larp Santa to bring you?

Myself, I'd like some time to work on historical projects and attend some events. But unless I stumble upon a pocket demension outside space-time it seems unlikely. Haha
>>
>>9293030
Cute! I agree though, plastic swords would be a disaster
I know my little cousins had a blast with the boffers I made. Just pool noodle and PVC
Thick enough for them not to really be able to hurt each other
I want larp Santa to bring me some good rp in the new year
Maybe some good cloth if hes feeling generous
>>
>>9292809
Speed larps/combat larps are more focused on fighting. I think a Nordic larp is similar, but I'm not sure.

Basically, we actually fight instead of pretending to fight.

And I just re read and realised you're being sarcastic, but I spent 5 whole seconds typing this, so fuck it.
>>
>>9292664
Vision is better than most historical helms ive worn. not much peripheral, and blind spot directly in front for about 3m
>>
File: Random girl.jpg (221KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
Random girl.jpg
221KB, 500x749px
>>9292803
This could be accurate if you set 5 as the average and everything under a 7 was unfuckable. and 6 if you were drunk.

>>9292821
all of those girls are Under a 5. sorry to burst your bubble but this kind of proves my point. Difference of opinion, Maybe? but my standards are higher than yours, and i dont go to larps to hit on nerdy girls.

>>9292893
this
>>9292999
You don't have standards. which is fitting because you don't reach any of theirs.

This girl is only a 7.5 for instance.
>>
>>9293230
>set 5 as the average and everything under a 7 was unfuckable
So... the average girl is unfuckable by two whole points of deviation?
Sorry, but what skewed ass standard is that?

Not even being salty, or anything, but dude...
>>
>>9293170
>Vision is better than most historical helms ive worn
Don't let modern collectable helmets skew your opinion. Your helm is awesome, btw.

>>9293230
So lets see what you look like, Adonis.

>>9293237
Just ignore him. He's so full of shit his eyes are brown.
>>
File: chainsock.jpg (86KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
chainsock.jpg
86KB, 960x638px
>>9293030
Is it already stocking day in the US or is that comes later?
Anyway time and money are the things I'm usually short on.

Also nice work on the surcoats
>>
>>9293050
>Speed larps/combat larps are more focused on fighting. I think a Nordic larp is similar, but I'm not sure.
Ohh boy...
Fun fact: Nordic larps usually doesn't have fighting in them. Like, at all. It happens but nordic larps usually more of an art form than a game. That is according to the turku manifesto that was the big thing lots of years ago although nowdays some people started doing more "pro-fun" games so there is that.

Anyway what does
>Basically, we actually fight instead of pretending to fight.
this mean?
Does it mean you aren't larping but actually just fight? Because then it would be more accurate to call it speed instead of speed larp. Or go one step further and call it fight club.
>>
>>9293230
>Difference of opinion, Maybe? but my standards are higher than yours
Yep, seems like that's the case.

>and i dont go to larps to hit on nerdy girls.
well after you say that statistically all the girls at larps are unfackable I think this is kind of granted?
>>
>>9293306
I think he mans the fights are more 'competetive' (Like Amtgard/SCA fighting) rather than 'theatrical/heroic' (Like the Drachenfest championships where you try to look cool instead of just hitting each other with foam-covered staves.)
>>
>>9293502
I got the general idea but I can never be sure one someone uses terms like speed larp.
Few months ago someone said he was going to a high-energy larp and was surprised when I asked if they had a very little CERN at their game
>>
Too many comments, cba to reply to them all.

y'all are going to the wrong larps. I've seen plenty of cute girls, and attractive guys. Yeah, the majority aren't hot... but there's enough eye candy.
>>
File: P1200422.jpg (870KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
P1200422.jpg
870KB, 1200x1600px
These are gonna look aces once I paint them up.
>>
>>9293522
>Plastic parrying dagger

Why?
>>
>>9293569
it's a cold steel one same as the dagger. It's for hema training when you don't want to use steel ones for various reasons like not comfortable with them enough yet or doesn't have enough protective equipment, etc.
>>
>>9293030
>What do you all want larp Santa to bring you?

I'd like a gambeson that fits. I got the wrong one when I started larping, and haven't had enough $$$ to order a replacement, so I've just been looking kind of lumpy under my surcoat.
>>
File: 1342108916548.jpg (225KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1342108916548.jpg
225KB, 1024x768px
>>9293030
Wooden swords are tougher, and pine is cheap, light and easy to work if you have time.

Maybe some dowels and canvas to make kinda medieval boffers, as a twist on >>9293034 suggestion, or just stuffed pillows swords. pic related.

There is a decent 18g dress salleta for $50 that I want for larping, but money is tight and I can't justify the expense right now.

>>9293569
Because of supposed "unbreakable" gimmicks.

>>9293580
For the same price, you can get a safer, high flex steel fencing dagger.

>>9293618
Where does it not fit?
>>
>>9293651
>For the same price, you can get a safer, high flex steel fencing dagger.
yeah, but we are talking about coldsteel which focuses on mall ninjas primarily
>>
>>9293659
>Mall ninjas with parrying daggers

Gods help us.
>>
>>9293030
A nice, heavily fluted Maximilian breastplate.

>>9293580
>for hema training when you don't want to use steel ones for various reasons
http://www.woodenswords.com/Pentti_Longswords_s/1895.htm
http://www.woodenswords.com/Rawlings_Longswords_s/1837.htm
There is not a single person I know in my local HEMA community who uses CS for anything other than solo work. There are better options at every level.
>>
>>9293714
Gotta get those extra parry frames.

>>9293651
It's not that it doesn't fit, it's just the wrong thing entirely. I got an arming jacket instead of a gambeson, and it's too short and rides up over my belt.
>>
>>9293851
>A nice, heavily fluted Maximilian breastplate.
You and me both, brother. One day I'll have a full kit of it. It's a pity so few people sell it.

>>9293886
How bad is that? If you can point it to some hose than it doesn't make too much difference if it works for your period, right? [spoiler]Which doublet did you get?[/spoiler]
>>
Gropey, are there any videos of you fighting?
>>
>>9293925
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7121BK&name=15th+Century+Arming+Doublet+%2D+Black+

It's fine on its own, it's just not meant to be worn with a surcoat.
[spoilersdon'tworkoncgl]I don't use period hosen because it's a fantasy larp and I'm not too concerned about matching time periods.[/spoilersdon'tworkoncgl]
>>
>>9293974
>I ruined the spoilers that badly
I have dishonored my family. Really like that doublet though, I have it in red.

And yeah, for a fantasy larp period appropriateness isn't a big deal.
>>
>>9293947
A few floating on youtube from a few years ago. I'll see about dredging them up. I hate how my voice sounds though.

>>9293974
Are you the dude I just linked all the KoA stuff and explained the differences between Gambesons and arming wear?

Also:
>it's just not meant to be worn with a surcoat.
Whats that supposed to mean? Surcoats can be worn over anything, hence the name.
>>
>>9293947
Ehhh. So, I do have some on my youtube, but they are all listed under my IRL name, and a few of them have people calling out my full name (specifically in my tournament win videos). I have released my first name here before, but don't feel comfortable with the full thing here on 4chan.
>>
>>9294579
don't worry, if you are uncomfortable with telling your name I can do it instead of you Josh.

Also about fighting videos, a few weeks ago in a local con me and another hungarain laprfag successfully managed to teach one local cosplay celeb a simple montante rule under 10 minutes without her having any base skills for it previously.
We are kind of proud to that one
>>
>>9294609
GOD DAMNIT SERGEI!

>another hungarain laprfag successfully managed to teach one local cosplay celeb a simple montante rule

I loved that clip. AHLF looked like he was totally wanting to give her the strong of his blade.
>>
>>9294618
sadly my part of it wasn't really put into the video as the girl used my sword and I mostly did the talking part.
>>
>>9294619
Link that shit.
>>
>>9294659
give me a few minutes, cgl is being a nigger and doesn't accept any webm that is bigger than 3 MB
>>
>>9294465
>Are you the dude I just linked all the KoA stuff and explained the differences between Gambesons and arming wear?
Not just, it was a couple of months ago IIRC. But yes, you did weigh in when I brought it up then, and helped me to figure out where I had gone wrong; my employment situation just hasn't been the most stable lately, so I haven't been able to actually fix the problem.
>>
>>9293519
Pics/location in the world?
I'm curious to see if the geographic location has a big difference. Like West Europe has attractive girl/guys go while the states has more uggos
>>
>>9294770
we are 3 posts away from autosage, I'm willing to do a larper girl pic dump, maybe even commenting the country of origin if it's known to me, but in the next thread.
(I also planned to do little more serious topic in the next thread too)
>>
>>9294770
I'm just saying people like you are part of the problem. Women get put off when men get all gross about this.
>>
>>9294659
ehh fuck it, can't properly convert that shit that it's acceptable for cgl, also to lazy to upload it anywhere else so here is the link
YE OLDEN BOOK OF FACES/yuriko.cosplay.hu/videos/1349354821755612/
>>
>>9294790
Cheers.
I've never used a two-hander before, so that was rather interesting to watch.
Although, that link does mean I can now FB stalk you.
>>
>>9294804
technically you could have stalked me before the link too. I mean it's not like I hid all the info about me, or that I'm not posting frequently pictures about me on 4chan
>>
>>9294784
Literally said both guys and girls in the post
Also theres a difference between shit posting on a Norwegian textbook writing forum and how i act in real life

>>9294783

I appreciate that with both though. As long as face is visible with location
>>
>>9294804
also if you want to see more montante rules watch this video, this guy is pretty good with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs
>>
>>9294808
Fair point, but previously it required more effort than I was willing to use.

>>9294813
Thank you kindly.
>>
>>9294817
>more effort than I was willing to use.
basically three-five clicks. Same with Gropey.
>>
>>9294821
I just realized that Scottish is one of the few namefags who is not part of the inner circle.

I don't think he could pass the test.
>>
>>9294828
gonna catch 'em all
>>
>>9294839
And thats why you should REALLY get some antibiotics, Hungarian....
>>
>>9294843
I don't need antibiotics, I have an immune system and caffeine.
Also, apparently I don't need sleep
>>
>>9294845
Drunken Slavic STDs.
>>
>>9294869
meanwhile we hit autosage so let's start the new thread

>>9294872

>>9294872
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.