[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top Tier Craftsmanship Cosplayers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 27

File: MajorSamCosplay.jpg (63KB, 567x850px) Image search: [Google]
MajorSamCosplay.jpg
63KB, 567x850px
Can we get another thread for cosplayers with top tier craftsmanship? I'll dump a few I'm already following on fb to start out.

Major Sam Cosplay
>>
File: Cat'sCosplayKingdom.jpg (101KB, 960x741px) Image search: [Google]
Cat'sCosplayKingdom.jpg
101KB, 960x741px
Cat's Kingdom Cosplay
>>
File: DecemberCosplay.jpg (72KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
DecemberCosplay.jpg
72KB, 540x540px
December Cosplay
>>
File: DrackCosplay.jpg (111KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
DrackCosplay.jpg
111KB, 540x960px
Drack Cosplay
>>
File: EnaylaCosplay.jpg (185KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
EnaylaCosplay.jpg
185KB, 960x960px
Enayla Cosplay
>>
File: JHartDesign.jpg (107KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
JHartDesign.jpg
107KB, 960x960px
J.Hart Design
>>
File: KimidoriCosplay.jpg (84KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
KimidoriCosplay.jpg
84KB, 960x640px
Kimidori Cosplay
>>
File: ShinjiCostumes&Tailoring.jpg (95KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
ShinjiCostumes&Tailoring.jpg
95KB, 720x960px
Shinji Costumes and Tailoring
>>
File: SparklePipsi.jpg (72KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
SparklePipsi.jpg
72KB, 960x960px
Sparkle Pipsi
>>
Li Kovacs
>>
File: FB_IMG_1479916445079.jpg (118KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1479916445079.jpg
118KB, 640x960px
Draumrkopa Cosplay is a favourite of mine.
>>
>>9264415
This Looks great i really wanna see the finished version
>>
>>9264415
>>9265508
Shill harder.
>>
>>9264398
I really enjoy her stuff.
>>
>>9264394
Kinda sad that I don't know any of these people
>>
>>9265544
I don't either, but it's refreshing to see nice cosplays when we usually post shitty ones to poke fun at.
>>
Does anyone remember the name of that really talented and young seamstress girl who used to post here? I think she posted under angela
>>
>>9266921
Doxiequeen?
>>
>>9266922
yes! thank you, I've been trying to remember for a while now
>>
I wonder how much crossover between the cosplay industry and couture/fashion world there actually is, if any? My impression is that never the twain shall meet, and anyone who's really good at cosplay sewing/crafting either goes into the film industry.
>>
>>9269250

The problem is that cosplay is made to LOOK good, while costumes/fashion usually need to withstand use.
>>
File: 184qwlxg0z4hbjpg.jpg (111KB, 800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
184qwlxg0z4hbjpg.jpg
111KB, 800x1201px
>>9269250
Have some NGE couture
>>
>>9269253
Not necessarily, a lot of high fashion runway looks are just meant for that one walk, you rarely see them actually sold/worn anywhere.
>>
>>9269250
I know that one of this year's French WCS reps works as a costumer for an opera, and one of the ECG group winners from 2015 works for Chanel
>>
>>9269253
You actually have it backwards. Couture, the shit you see on the runway, is basically a one wear event; after that, it's likely to be falling apart. Costumes, otoh, are made to be able to stand lot of vigorous movement over the course of several days/weeks/months.

Source: Costume designer for theatre. We have stuff that was made decades ago that we still use from time to time. A lot of the cosplayers I've met try to make their stuff as sturdy as possible so they can get some good use out of it.
>>
>>9269253
>>9269310

plus couture runway is made to fit a standard size that they then recruit models for, so it's much easier to fit and sew, while cosplayers make costumes at different sizes and shapes (our own bodies, crossplay, commissions...)
>>
>>9269310
Classic couture is very time consuming to make. People do still buy it, but it's made to order.
>>
File: 1476581731005.jpg (71KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476581731005.jpg
71KB, 1440x1080px
>>9265076
God DAMN

Did they do the details themselves?
>>
Lolita here, but wondering what makes something a top tier craftsmanship? I see that all of these cosplays are very intricate, so thought it was about the amount of hand craft used in them, but then I see something like >>9264411 and am so confused.
>>
File: nyanchan.jpg (26KB, 507x261px) Image search: [Google]
nyanchan.jpg
26KB, 507x261px
>>9269255
>Victoria Secret Runway
>"""""couture""""""
>>
>>9270923
its the fact that everything is clean and neatly sewn.I find with simpler costumes its harder to hide behind trim, expensive fabric and extravagant appliqué from taobao.
>>
>>9270944
Maybe it just needs ironing, but the princess seams look lumpy and it doesn't drape all that well on the mannequin either.
>>
>>9270947
Fit on the mannequin doesn't mean it will translate badly to the wearer, but I was judging the collar not being sewn down correctly, the cheap material and some mistakes in where the bias tape is applied.
>>
>>9264403
Why post this but not the finished version? You're missing half the outfit.
>>
>>9270979
The collar is only Tacked onto the bodice in that picture and you can't really see the fabric quality since it's a shitty camera picture. Can't really see any faults i the bias tape , it all looks clean to me.

A picture of the completed cosplay for reference. I really enjoy seeing cosplayers make these more cartoony and clean designs.
>>
>>9264407
I'm in love with this.
>>
>>9270703
Yep. Worked on the costume for three years. Its all done by hand it's fucking stunning
>>
File: jojohighfashion.png (370KB, 774x327px) Image search: [Google]
jojohighfashion.png
370KB, 774x327px
>>9269250
Not sure if related, but I know there have been couture collabs between top designers and anime like JoJo and Terraformers.
>>
File: michelle k davis.jpg (36KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
michelle k davis.jpg
36KB, 500x700px
>>9269250
>>9275532
Here's a video of the Terraformers shoot
https://youtu.be/TMsNwWsNI6Q
>>
>>9266921
she's not really talented. she just has infinite time and money to do whatever she wants.
>>
>>9264397
SPOOKIE BOOGIE
>>
>>9271160
It looked pretty good in person, saw her at AX.
>>
>>9264397
this really doesn't do the costume justice
>>
>>9275540
What kind of shit argument is that? Just because someone throws a lot of money and time on things means there's less talent involved? That's like saying >>9265076 is less talented than someone else in this thread because this person worked three years on it.
>inb4 "hi angela"
>>
>>9278900
No they're saying she hides behind applique and thinks that she has expert level craftsmanship but when you look up close and actually listen to what she's saying, she isn't historically accurate nor does she take much care in the things she makes.
>>
>>9280093
See, that makes more sense. I don't know the person or her work, but if she claims expertise and can't actually provide it, then sure, call her out. It was a weird way of saying that, though.
>>
>>9269255
Is that Justin Beiber in the bg?
>>
>>9280671
It is. It was in a Victoria Secret fashion show a few years ago.
>>
>>9280123
Yeah that wasn't me I can't explain their wording lol
in the last sakizou thread her outfit has visible pins holding things together... too lazy to link but if you're curious it's on google anyway
>>
>>9280093
Her stuff still looks very nice. How does she not take care in the things she makes?

I just don't understand how she has infinite money and time. Anyone know what her living situation is?
>>
>>9280720
>nice
>can't even hem a skirt properly
>>
>>9280720
Her parents seem to be extremely rich (she says her house has a forest on its land). She was also home schooled but her parents let her literally just sew all day. Here's a quote from her tumblr.

>How do you afford to make so many costumes?: I have really lovely supportive parents. The consider sewing to be educational and beneficial for my future (the same way they view schooling), so they pay for fabric and some trims.
>>
>>9280123
Yeah she's quite big on youtube. Had Daddy's Money to buy as much expensive fabric and tools as she likes, but the stuff she makes is messy. Not to mention her tutorials give completely incorrect information and advice a lot of the time. Her embroidery/beading tutorials gave me a hernia
>>
>>9280804
yea christ I looked at an actual closeup of one of her pieces for the first time and damn... so many fucking loose threads
>>
>>9270932
Agree, I think it is pretty shit tier as well.
>>
>>9280720
She doesn't go to school or work; just living off daddy's money. Her far away pictures look nice, but up close and in detail shots it's a mess.
>>
>>9280720
>frayed threads
>that safety pin
k Jan
>>
>>9280728

She made this capelet and posted it to instagram and the hem gave me cancer. It was awful.
>>
>>9282607
That Sakizou costume was one of her first costumes. The stuff she makes now is really well made.
>>
>>9286581
For cosplay/personal costume standards, yes. For historical, theatrical, couture, or professional standards, not by a long shot. While she's NOT a professional now, I believe that's what she aspires to be, and mostly she needs an attitude adjustment. She needs to sort out her motivational issues (clients don't care if you are "inspired"), her mock-ups don't always catch fixable issues, and she needs to stop pointing out every little mistake she makes (maybe she does it to ward off critique?) because it really draws attention to the otherwise overlooked flaws. Also, she needs to learn proper hem height, skirts dragging on the ground ain't kawaii. She embellishes things attractively, but the base garments are often pretty basic.

That being said, some of her plainer, more recent "historically inspired " pieces are getting there.
>>
Atelier Heidi has incredible craftsmanship but her leather work is off the charts.
>>
>>9287049
>leatherwork
you mean that isn't craft foam?
>>
>>9287049
How did they make the small additions? Was it molded and then slapped on?
>>
File: tumblr_ob5gd9yJGY1rqrp35o1_1280.jpg (459KB, 1080x845px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ob5gd9yJGY1rqrp35o1_1280.jpg
459KB, 1080x845px
>>9287067
nvm, they just bought brass stampings.
>>
>>9287055
>>
What's with all the hate on Angela??I don't think anyone ever claimed she was a perfect seamstress and I bet she's better then half the people on this board? She obviously enjoys what shes doing and has fun, her stuff has gotten better and that sakizou costume was easily 3-4 years ago
And no, I'm not Angela before someone jumps to that, I'm just someone who enjoys her videos
>>
>>9289077
Most of the criticism is salty gulls who are jealous of how she is able to peruse her hobbies so freely since her parents are loaded.

But there are legitimate criticisms of her craftsmanship. I thought she was trying to assemble a portfolio to apply for a fashion/costume design program when she started going hard on the historical inspired projects, but iirc she was not accepted. I don't know what kind of portfolio she submitted or if she even completed the application. I haven't kept up with her.

She's hardly a bad person, but it's a bit tiring when she's held up as a top notch seamstress for newbies to turn to when historical costumers like the Dreamstress blog exists.
>>
>>9289077
Combination of salt that she has all this free time + loaded parents yet the turn out is less than perfect.
>>
>>9289086
Not a hobby if it's what you do all day every day
>>
>>9289086
Well if you're going to make a historical garment by doing the same as someone else and not researching at all then you deserve to fail
>>
>>9289462
Unless shes getting money from her YouTube channel then it's not exactly a career either is it
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-15-10-00-59.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-15-10-00-59.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>9280728
The hem...what is wrong with it?
I assume it's the way she is standing that makes it look that way. It certainly isn't the drape because ball gowns usually trail on the ground.
>>
>>9289462
She's still at hobbyist level though.
>>
>>9289736
I'm not denying that.

She has all of these great resources, too. It's not like like the final outcome is atrocious, but anything fitted has puckering EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>9289931
The flaring outward in the very front is awkward looking. What you posted is a gradual train, the front of the skirt probably just barely skims the ground. Her's is being forced to buckle because it's too long. Imo, it sort of makes her look like she slouching.
>>
>>9269255
How did they manage to make a plugsuit so unsexy?
>>
>>9290357
Now that you mention it some of her gowns do seem too long at the front but hey, I guess if she likes making them that way who are we to say she can't
>>
>>9290008
Her stuff is in no way bad, it's a hell lot better then I can do, it's odd she gets such puckering though as she's pretty gun ho to put boning all throughout her bodices so I don't think it's a fit problem, maybe fabric issues? She uses opposing fabrics quite often and they're usually slippery or delicate fabrics, maybe the fabric slips and puckers as she's sewing them and she can't (won't) unpick the seams in fear of damaging the fabric, who knows
>>
>>9286978
Her main issue is her fear of going out into the real world desu. She's been finished with school for what, 3 years now? And all she seems to do is hang out at home and sew. While she has gotten leagues better, just catering to her own aesthetic and technique is just waiting for issues down the line when she goes to school or gets a job and can't do what is asked because she learned in her own way (which sometimes works but when someone asks you to do something you're expected to be able to do it). I'm not jelly of her living arrangement at all but she really needs to stop living in her bubble and experience the actual costume or sewing trade/community.

And to contribute to the thread: Korin (I know saikozu spam is overdone but it really is a great way to see someone's skills)
>>
>>
>>
>>9291766
Maybe she can become a trophy house wife for some rich dude that would support her hobby ?

>>9294713
The bottom part of the costum doesn't look as nice as the upper part.
>>
Just some random tips for craftmanship judging. I find that instead of making fake layers making my peices wearable like real clothing and additionally finishing the insides helps impress judges. I have taken off layers to show off the finished insides of a top (it had an under shirt) also displaying how easy I can put it back on because of how I designed my construction.
>>
>>9295245

As a judge, can confirm, if you line things and make them properly it's an instant boost in my opinion of you.
>>
>>9269310
It's funny to see people with costume degrees think they know anything about fashion. Different animals and couture whether you believe it or not is still better assembled than ancient costumes that you've had in storage for decades. I've been in ballet workshops and dressed couture shows in Paris and hands down the couture garments were better made.
>>
DESU it just really depends on who are the ones constructing it. I've seen some really high quality garments and some really low quality costumes, and vice versa. How the construction is approached with the techniques they use, the quality of what materials they have used, whether or not garments are oftentimes repaired properly or not, and how it's stored all make huge differences in the final product and its longevity.
>>
>>9291766
She is super talented. What does it matter she stays at home and sews all day? Maybe thats just how she wants to live? As long as she is happy I don't see why it matters.
>>
>>9296606
Costumer here and it's not that hard to understand. Theatrical costumes need to be durable but also easy to put on and off, and have a lot smaller budget. Couture clothing are all one of a kind, a lot more attention to finish and the budget is so much higher that of course the clothing will be "better"
>>
>>9300120
Because at a certain point you become a major drain on someone. If you've reached adulthood and your aren't in school and don't have a job you should feel like shit for taking advantage of whoever is financially supporting you if you can't even bother to contribute your time doing helpful things.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.