[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resin and Indie Crafts General: Albino slave labor edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 83

Hi /ricg/(?), Christmas approaches and so we must delve into our stashes to make presents people will pretend to like.

What are you working on?

Are you participating in the seagull SS?

Getting any supplies during 11/11?

I will do a small inspo dump of recently-posted pictures from social media to begin our grand thread.
>>
>>9249144
>>
>>9249146
blame Korea for this
>>
>>9249150
>>
>>9249152
>>
>>9249153
some indie brands

Pastel Parade, Japanese handmade indie accessories
>>
>>9249161
Martha Rotten, US-based, metal jewelry
>>
File: TV251PU-2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
TV251PU-2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9249162
Tearsheaven, Japanese accessories brand made from easily eBayed pieces
>>
>>9249171
Australian Peppermint Fox
you know these guys
>>
>>9249176
and some more random new crafts/accessories

would you all be interested in compiling a list of indie handmade jfash accessory brands? self-shilling is fine. we could do a pastebin or a googledoc.
>>
>>9249188
>>
>>9249193
>>
>>9249197
>>
>What are you working on?
This! Not sure if I should make it a pendant or brooch.

>Are you participating in the seagull SS?
Absolutely. I'll be sending a specially tailored to their likes and prints assortment of crafted things to all of my lowest tier giftees, and as extras for the higher ones.

>Getting any supplies during 11/11?
Found a boatload of really nice molds on taobao, might also get some cute ribbon and lace.
>>
>>9249488
And then I remembered my pic.
>>
How well do these types of molds work? Does it take polymer clay pretty well? Has anyone used this type of mold and can show their turnout please? I'm a bit iffy on buying them as I'm not sure how much detail it will pick up.
>>
File: 20161108_112017.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161108_112017.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9249495
I have the mold making stuff you brush in layers and have been wanting to try the putty.

I've been getting a bunch of molds in and sketching out some ideas. I still need to test out my newest molds
I want to try sculpting something to make some resin pins.
>>
>>9249495
Anything silicone will give you the detail in the mold without fail.
>>
>>9249504
Oh! Those are the cute halloween molds! They turned out pretty cute.
>>
>>9249506
So the mold is firm enough to push in fimo and pick up the details?
>>
>>9249509
I've been having fun making halloween themed stuff. I did a couple halloween fairs and now I need to prep for my first Anime con AA. This is the left over stuff I'm planning to add to con stock.
>>
>>9249489
i vote pendant because of its verticality and terminal heart/gem
>>
what is your favorite non-resin glaze to use? i have some ring molds which are dull around the sides, meaning dull around the outer rim where i want it to shine. i doubt i could get around the circumference with a coat of resin that would be uniform.
>>
Is the Daiso resin not really meant for casting, but surfaces instead? I used it to dome a flat plastic piece and it came out beautifully. But then I tried to cast it in a shallow mold and coat another resin piece and it just won't cure even though it's been in sunlight for a few days
>>
>>9249188
I'd be interested in that.
>>9249516
Soft silicon molds aren't. Hard ones are. If you want to make your own molds use mold putty instead of liquid silicone, as it'll be firmer.
>>9252489
Try using a UV lamp.
>>
>>9252489

Just in case. The mold has to be translucent, otherwise the UV can't reach the lowest parts of the mold to make the resin hard.
>>
>>9249504
I don't know why but I hate the way you type. I'm not just saying this specific post but all your posts and Instagram descriptions
>>
>>9252673
Really? Do you have an idea why they bother you?
>>
File: beep.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
beep.jpg
1B, 486x500px
This has been bugging me for weeks now. What are the hollow plastic tubes used to make these wand pendents? I have no idea what these are called and I have no idea what to google to find these. I thought they might have been bugle beads but these are much bigger.
>>
File: $_3 (1).jpg (1B, 486x500px)
$_3 (1).jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9252687
Maybe they're like bead storage tubes? If you search around. You can find shops selling skinny ones.
>>
>>9252687
Stop trying to copy the Japanese artists
>>
>>9252687
I always just assumed they were solid resin with things embedded in them. Now I'm curious too...
>>
>>9252478
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BWOS5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>9252687
https://world.taobao.com/item/529275767895.htm?fromSite=main
>>
>>9252687
I've seen Japanese youtubers use a clear plastic straw, and then cut the straw off. I've also recently seen molds for cylinders, but I think a straw would be cheaper. You just use a piece of tape to block off the bottom, cut to the length you need, and hold it under the UV light.
>>
For any of you crafters that might be near Seattle, the South Center Mall's Daiso has UV resin tubes in stock now. I didn't see any molds though..
>>
This is probably asked a lot but where are some seagull approved beginner tutorials for resin crafts. Id love to get into it!
>>
>>9253231
You could go through the older threads and watch the embedded videos, or go through the google doc, which has a ton of resources.

If you'd rather go on Youtube, look up 'resin tutorial beginner' and go from there. Avoid any tutorials that show people making basic mistakes like not using gloves and you'll pick up the basics in no time.

Some guidelines for resin are:
-Mix that shit thoroughly but NOT quickly. Microbubbles and uncured sticky pieces will happen otherwise.
-There are various types of resin, epoxy resin is best for beginners and Amazing Clear Cast seems to be the one most people recommend.
-Use polypropylene/silicone mixing cups as the resin won't stick. Don't use anything that will melt in contact with resin, like polystyrene.
-LINE YOUR WORKSPACE. I cannot stress this enough.
-If the glitter/beads you use are shit, they'll bleed into the resin. If you still want to use it, paint it onto the cured resin with Mod Podge, wait for it to dry, cover with more Mod Podge just in case, and then pour resin over it.
-Brush a bit of baby oil into molds to make them last longer and make the pieces come out easier.
-Seal anything that's not waterproof with Mod Podge.
-WEAR A MASK WHEN SANDING RESIN. DO IT UNDER WATER.
-Resin needs time, patience, and a fuckload of layers. Don't try to shove shit in all at once.
-Glitter goes in when the resin's cured enough to be tacky and thick. Put it in before and it'll sink.
-If you want to put stickers in, pour a thin layer of resin just thick enough to cover the bottom of the mold and the sticker, wait for it to get tacky, and put the sticker in. You'll need to babysit it to make sure it doesn't move and it's easier to do that when you don't have to drag a toothpick through half a mile of goo.

Hope that helps a bit.
>>
>>9253592
different anon that's been lurking these threads for forever: thanks! I think I'm finally going to jump in and it's nice having these tips compiled.
>>
File: saltqueen.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
saltqueen.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Pic related. I've only recently jumped into resin work, and it's been a lot of trial and error. These are the first finished pieces I have that actually came out kinda good, but there's still some tweaking I need to do to make them better.
You bet your ass I am! I love gift exchanges! Although I'm not sure yet if I'll include any handmade stuff or not.
Sadly no. I'm waiting till the seagull SS matches have been made before I place my next taobao order.
>>
>>9253836
ok those would be fun gifts for fellow gulls. the modpodge mold crowns look odd because they are all a uniform color (would add highlight to top portion or shadow the bottom, maybe) but for a 5-10 dollar bracket i would be happy
>>
Finally getting round to making chains for everything I made over the summer and photographing for Etsy

Nope, I got burned a bit with another ss last year so taking a break form all that

A couple of molds from Ali
>>
>>9253836
These are a great idea for the ss! I'd be happy to get one for sure.
Maybe don't fill the crown mold all the way to the top though, unless you make the back a different color so it has depth. Right now it looks a bit messy instead of intentional.
Like the other anon said adding different shades of gold to the pieces will really make it look way better- try brushing darker/lighter shades onto the mold before pouring the resin in.
Also, I don't know how finished these are, but if you're going to be using caviar beads you really need to use more of them and seal them super well before adding resin. I used pink, gold and red beads in a CCS wand a while back to see how it turned out and by the time it cured they had gone orange, light orange and mustard yellow. I'd hate for you to work for ages on a piece and have the resin fuck up the details like that, especially if it's for a gift.
>>
>>9253852
>>9253945
Thanks for the advice! I honestly hadn't thought about how odd the crown looks, but once you pointed it out I can definitely see it. Although, >>9253945, I'm not sure what you mean about the caviar beads since I'm not using any...do you mean the glitter that's in the 4 corners?
>>
>>9253592
Thank you anon! Ever since aliexpresses 11.11 sale I've been interested in getting some silicone moulds and experimenting to see what cute stuff I can make.
>>
>>9252687

I'd either use a straw or the clear PVC tubing you can buy at hardware stores. I saw in a beading magazine before people using PVC tubing with good results. Basically any clear plastic tube would do the job, whichever way, but straws seem to be the most likely answer if you can obtain a crystal clear one.
>>
>>9253592
Do you have a link to the google doc I havent been able to find it on older threads?
>>
is there any interest in a resin crafting discord server?
>>
>>9254493
The cgl lolita discord has a crafting sub-channel.
>>
>>9253836
Would be totally interested in these once you've perfected them anon!
>>
>>9254528
server link?
>>
What stores do people get their supplies from? I'm thinking of making some stuff but can't find decently priced materials.
>>
>>9255709
Try searching around aliexpress. You can find a lot of dirt cheap molds, cabochon, and so on.
>>
Is it prohibited for me to buy uv resin from a Japanese proxy? They prohibit nail polish and such so I'm guess resin is also off the table.
>>
>>9254281
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mrdnoKqy7csGQ7XhyFy_wXVnLUzKX0sd2agIvHDXVw/edit#gid=1717148675
>>
I remember people were looking for those holographic stickers that Ponpon used in her tutorial. I stumbled upon them while I was browsing Taobao.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-15324519994.91.lTlSCy&id=541479014210
>>
>>9259206
Thanks, anon!

Has anyone tried and successfully mixed in soft pastels to color resin? I have many, many, MANY colors from back when I used to take BJD faceup commissions, and I'd like to get some use out of them besides. I was wondering if mixing it into resin might be that use. I've been getting very visible specks. Is there something in particular that I should use to grind my pastels up (currently using an exacto knife)? Am I just not grinding hard enough? Is this a lost cause?
>>
>>9259221
I have the same issue when I use eyeshadow to color my resin. Usually I have to hunt the bigger specks in the resin and either break them up with something like a toothpick, or fish them out.
>>
>>9249504
Your stuff looks really good...what do you use for the brush-on mold-maker? I want to do castings of some fairly large stuff (prop things) that are too big for the mix-and-pour or putty stuff to be economical.

I got some supposedly brush-on mold stuff from Hobby Lobby but it never worked very well. I left it for ages and it never really set up, it was still gooey. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to spend a bunch and get something from smooth-on...I mean, I know it's good but holy fuck is it expensive.
>>
File: moldbuilder.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
moldbuilder.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9259229
It's this stuff. I bought it at Michael's with a half off coupon. I've only used it for one project so far, and did about five or six thin layers. It worked fine but I'm not sure how it'd be on a large scale project. Considering Hobby Lobby sells it as well, it could easily be the same stuff you used.
>>
>>9259236
Yep, that's the stuff, I was afraid of that. How thin is thin? Did you do anything special to cure it? I tried it twice because I thought maybe I got it too thick the first time, but it still stayed pretty tacky/gooey.

The stuff I want to do isn't -gigantic-, I just don't want to make a (relatively speaking) huge block of rubber/silicone to cast it. I've looked at tutorials for prop casting and the enormous blocks of silicone mold rubber they use are almost physically painful after seeing how much that stuff costs.
>>
>>9259221
Use a nail file! Works perfectly for me, I can show some tests
>>
>>9259229
Depending on how big your prop is it may/may not be okay. I've made some pretty big (6" by 6" and about 3" deep) molds before that came out fine, but I haven't tried anything bigger.

The bottle of moldbuilder you bought might've been old. I had a bottle a few years ago and I left it alone for maybe 6 months and when I opened it it was really chunky and some type of grease had rose to the top. Cold weather can also ruin it, I believe.
>>
Where are some good places to buy resin online? I've tried every craft store in my city and none of them stock it
>>
>>9260110
Amazon
>>
>>9259206
Oh my god, I need those so badly. Thanks, anon!
>>
here is an experiment i have not quite gotten right yet. dying Amazing Casting Resin is an uncertain business
>>
>>9264202
Are the teeth cast out of resin too?
>>
>>9269251
no, they're real
>>
>>9264202
even though the teeth are real, perhaps some drybrushing to bring out the details would make them look less blobbish and more like old teeth
>>
I had been thinking about buying dollydolly latest issue, but I'm having trouble on finding those that have MSD patterns. Is there any way to find it before buying?
>>
>>9269251
no, they are plastic of some kind

>>9269267
thank you for the tip!
>>
Where do you guys buy your stickers? I've been using aliexpress but there must be other (possibly better?) places
>>
>>9254493
I'm definitely down for one.
>>
File: 20161127_064218.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161127_064218.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9254493
>>9272971
https://discord.gg/zPaFE9T
see if this works? links are often posted in friend-finder threads. it would be good to chat with everyone, especially other GALA members!

>>9272757
i have this bookmarked but stickers have not been a big part of my process yet: http://www.kawaiishopjapan.com

i also have stickers from Tokyo Rebel's Yoh collection that i plan to use for gifts. i am not sure about selling them in my shop, but i think, having purchased them and transformed them, doing so could arguably be Fair Use.

speaking of my shop, i began a coupon in honor of ILD. at ghastlygear.etsy.com, use code ILD2016DEC to get 12% off your purchase until December 12th. include a note that you are a gull and/or a crafter and i will toss in a small gift!

>pic related, a resin+cabochon+nail art finding creation to be added to shop today
>>
>>9259221
Grind it up really, really fine, and leave the resin to sit after you mix it in. The bigger clumps sink to the bottom and you can use the top layers as normal.
>>
>>9259221
>Is there something in particular that I should use to grind my pastels up (currently using an exacto knife)?
an herb grinder is on my to-buy list. i have heard others get good results from one
>>
okay, not to be stupid but I just jumped into resin for the first time this weekend and it's turning out really well... like no bubbles or tackiness and doming has been pretty easy? and while I'm happy about that I was expecting learning to be some bug messy process.

it's very dry in my apartment right now. is that making it easier? I just am worried I'm doing something wrong now that is working out okay because xyz and I'm going to have a bitch of a time later

>>9275310 this is lovely!
>>
File: 689765457.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
689765457.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I bought Polyester Resin because it was the only type available to me (seriously fuck this art store that bumped the Epoxy price resin to the double the regular price) and I don't know if it's just because Polyester resin is tricky, or my catalyst is off or whatever, but nothing is turing out right. So far I've only tried simple doming (so, thin layer, like 2mm) but even so the resin isn't curing at all :( (And yes, I mixed the two components according to the instructions)
The only way I've managed to cure it is by holding a flame directly to it for about an hour, and it's still a little sticky to touch by the end of that!
Does anyone have any tips for Polyester Resin? What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>9275587

I use it frequently and it's one hell of a learning curve, it was my first type of resin too.
If you live in a cold country or are suffering from a cold winter like we are now, then basically it's not for you right now and it's worth sucking up the price until it warms up. I basically stop my resin activity over the winter because it just does not cure at all unless you bring it inside the house and put it somewhere warm - which im not prepared to do because that stuff stinks, so thats the first thing to check.
Bonus points is that in the summer at the hottest here in the UK it gels after ten minutes and is more or less hardened enough to back it after 20. None of this few hour malarky I hear from epoxy users.

Another thing I've noticed is that even though its dry on the back, when you pop it out of the mould do it on something it wont stick to like greaseproof paper, and leave it alone - DO NOT TOUCH IT because it'll still be tacky for a while. If it's summer or hot as hell, put it out in the sun for a bit to let it 'finish off'. I tend to walk away for an hour or so and come back and I can touch it with no problems.

Third tip is glazing. DONT glaze until you've finished doing what you want to do, so if you have too much shrinkage on the top or bottom and want to dome it again, do it now. The glaze reacts horribly, peels away and is solid. You'll wreck your piece. I found this out the hard way.
Glazing will generally reseal away the stickiness that will come from things warming up again. I dont know if epoxy users experience this where it can be a tiny bit tacky if it warms up, but glaze deals with that problem so it wont ever do it again.
>>
how much of a bad idea is it to use acrylic paint to pigment resin?
>>
>>9275829

I've accidentally used acrylic paint to color resin (like 3-4 dollops) instead of oil. I let the entire pot sit for a week, and it was still sticky.

I prefer oil paint since there seem to be much fewer issues with the resin setting that way, but nowadays I prefer mica pigments the most. You can get them pretty cheaply on ebay in the form of cheap loose eyeshadow if you don't want to shell out for the expensive craft brands too.
>>
>>9275310
Yeah I think if you paid for the stickers, technically they can't dictate how you use them.
>>
File: 2016-12-03 (1).png (1B, 486x500px)
2016-12-03 (1).png
1B, 486x500px
>>9275836
Thank you anon, in return I gift a cringe amazon review I just found.
>>
>>9275841
UM?!?
>>
>>9275841
Oh my god.
>>
File: gross.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
gross.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9275841
You can even see the uncleaned splashes on the left one.
>>
>>9275829
It CAN be ok, but it's really not worth the risk. If you have mica or pearl-ex powders use them instead, you can just brush them onto the mold and it'll stick.
If you only have acrylic paint, my advice is to use it to paint the resin instead. Thin it and paint in lots of super thin layers. It's hard work but you won't get a lot of bendy pieces that magnetically attract hair and dust, which in my opinion makes it worth the effort.

If you have your heart set on using acrylics to actually pigment the resin, use 1-2 drops and mix it super well, then dome the piece quite thickly with something you know will be rock-hard when cured, like UV resin.

>>9275841
This is awful, but I'm impressed that it actually cured.
I'm also impressed that you can still use your computer with that many tabs open.
>>
Anybody tried to color resin with white plain chalk? Not chalk pastel but just chalk.
>>
>>9283334
I really wouldn't recommend it. Even eyeshadow can be lumpy, chalk would be a nightmare.
It might be less awful if you did a thin layer of chalk-colored resin over clear/white, but I'd stick to loose pigments.
>>
>>9283334
give it a shot in a very small amount and report back.
>>
Anyone have experience doming stickers? Mine warped when I put them in the UV light.
>>
>>9283334
I've used green chalk before and my pieces came out this cool looking translucent limey color. I ground it from the actual piece of chalk with a nail file.

I'd post pics but the pieces are back home sadly
>>
>>9283842
did you seal them first? are they paper or PVC?
>>
>>9284481
Paper and I forgot to seal them first.
>>
>>9284516
ah, that would do it
>>
>>9284525
If I seal the paper, would it prevent it from warping? Or should I back it with something more substantial?
>>
>>9284530
Both. Seal first and back them with balsa wood or clay. If you stick them down to something and dome them, then dome the other side, it'll be a bit fragile but still okay. Just make sure you stick them onto something that won't move so they don't come out warped, and that it's a clean surface you can easily remove them from.
>>
>>9252478
Supposedly you can cast the hard one, but I used an UV lamp and it still doesn't work.
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9286691
I've been sticking them down onto some tape which has worked ok so far. I ordered a doming tray so hopefully that will work better.
>>
>>9289586
These are adorable! Where did you get the stickers?
>>
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9290171
Thanks anon. The bottom right three are actually art I printed from one of my favorite pixiv artists for practice. Everything else is washi tape I got from Taobao.
>>
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Bumping with some pins I made recently. I'd love to see what others have made too.
>>
>>9293653
These are awesome! Are they stickers covered in resin?
>>
>>9293669
They're actually washi tape which I cut out and domed. I added some nail decals on the middle one too.
>>
>>9293690
Woah that's awesome! Do you have a link to the washi tape?
>>
>>9289586
>>9290195
>>9293653
Links to tapes please? They look amazing!
>>
Does anyone else worry about copyright when selling resin pieces? Like I've thought about using printed images like >>9289586 but being in artist alley I get kinda worried about it not being transformative for fair use
Am I just worrying too much?
>>
>>9295992
You would so get in trouble for something like >>9289586 unless you're in fucking China. What kind of a retarded question is that? There's nothing fair use about that. It's fine if it's just for you, and you can probably get away with it if it's online, but there's no way that's going to fly in an artist alley.
>>
>>9295992
I mean if you are using images from official media you'll never be big enough that someone will care. and if they do just stop when you get a d&d letter.

if you are talkng about using other people's fanart though, no one can stop you... but people will think you are an absolutely douche for using hobbists' art without their permission.
>>
>>9296004
c&d letter.

and >>9296002 media does not care if you do limited runs of handmade stuff to sell. in fact, I think if its small enough it technically DOES fit in fair use.
>>
>>9296010
basically this

if you purchased the images from a legal source (not a pirated one) you can do what you want.

if you printed the images or bought them from a Chinese theft shop on Taobao or AE you might run into ethical/douchebag rep concerns.
>>
>>9296002
Have you seen the shit being sold in AAs? Traced art, logos ripped from official art, and printouts of official art are all on offer. It's shitty, there's no doubt about that, but people do it and can get away with it.
>>
>>9249162
I friggin love Martha Rotten
>>
>>9296734
Yeah it depends on the con but for the most part the people running it don't/won't do much to police stolen art. I've only heard of dealer's rooms cracking down on stuff like this but this is usually only small cons where there aren't a lot of dealers to police.
>>
>>9295992
omfg do not use printed images in the artist alley. I also artist alley and the other artists will crucify you if they find out.

Draw your own dang images or use generic shapes >.>

You guys are why crafters are getting excluded from more and more artist alleys by conventions D<
>>
>>9295992
I just try to stick to public domain art. Historical paintings and famous stained glass windows. I did comission some fan art that I plan to use with the artist's permission, and I have a customer that obtained some permission from an artist for a particular piece of theirs. (If you're reading this just know I've been busy with work and other things, and don't worry about the custom order. I'm sending them to you for free.) Merry Christmas!
>>
File: 20161222_144049.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20161222_144049.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9295992
If you want to use art that isn't yours. You should either stick to images that are public domain, copyright free, or free use images. Things that you can legally use and won't get in trouble for. I've made a bunch of Halloween pins with vintage Halloween art but I try to make sure they're free use that can be used for resell.

On the other hand, the other AA artist might turn up their noses at you for using other people's art instead of your own, but at least you won't be in legal trouble.
>>
>>9296734
What cons have you been going to? The ones I go to (A-Kon is the biggest one) have strict no bootleg policies, but I think that might be because the cons I'm going to also have actual companies as sponsors/guests.

>>9296743
>You guys are why crafters are getting excluded from more and more artist alleys by conventions
Yeah, it's this shit, Perler bead people, and all of the other shitty little rip off artists that get us denied from AAs. Honestly just kill yourself if you're old enough to be on 4Chan and you still can't draw.
>>
File: resin shmesin.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
resin shmesin.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Is there anything I can do, either before curing or after curing, that will get rid of overfill resin that comes over the bezel when I'm filling in a frame? I cleaned it up with wax paper/paper towels/toothpix as best I could while it was still wet, but even then it still seemed messy. The frame has lots of crevices that it snuck into and couldn't find a way to get it out.
Anyway I let it cure and even more flowed out now and I'm wondering how to get at least some of it off. Would sanding work? Any specific grain of sandpaper that would be best, or could I get away with just a nail file? And how can I prevent this from happening in the first place?

Sorry for all the qs. Here are some pieces I'm working on. The love potion bottle was a test for putting insertions in resin/layering/different colors in the same layer and I'm happy it came out roughly how I imagined!
>>
>>9297262
Try not to fill it too much. Resin is deceptive, drip it in bit by bit and wait for it to settle before adding more. If the bezel has crevices seal them with tape or fill it to just below where the crevices start.

Sanding will work, but DO IT UNDERWATER. Nail files are fine- the metal ones are best imo- but a really fine-grained sandpaper will make it look better.

Your stuff looks fine as far as I can tell from the potato picture. The cat could do with more gold on the back, or a black/gold gradient, as it looks a bit off from a distance as is. Adding some gold nail stickers would work too.
The bottle is really cute, but you need to push the glitter all the way to the edges and then pile on some more or you'll be left with gaps.
And the black thing looks fine, but I have no idea what it is or what it's meant to look like so I can't really say much about it.

Good luck with future resin experiments!
>>
>>9296018
That anon purchased the washi tape from the actual artist though. Under fair use it'll be fine. I don't know why people are making a huge hissy fit out of this.
>>
>>9298690
Why did I not think of a metal file. The sandpapery ones get ruined under water so quickly and it was pissing me off so badly hahaha.
Thanks for your tips and critique, it really helped! The black thing is a dreidel lol it's for my parents for Hanukah.
I think my main problem is that I'm not just trying to do a layer of resin over a picture in a frame but actually encase a small object in a dome in a frame, and the frame I made is waaay to shallow for the thickness of the item. So instead I'm just going to add a background to the frame and coat that in resin, and then stick the object on top of that with no dome, just a glaze.
>>
>>9298695
what you say does not contradict what the post you quoted says
>>
>>9296766
people sell resin with official merch stickers in them all the time on AA. in small batches no one will care and it wll be fine. the company is typically too large to care about small profit loss. if it's an independent artist or fan art, people will think you are a dickhole for taking some of a small producer's profits. no offense, but I thought all this was common aa knowledge
>>
>>9298714
Maybe embed it in resin but not completely? It might look better that way as well as being less likely to fall off.
>>
Has anyone used hair chalk to colour resin?
>>
>>9300220
I really like that idea, thanks! the project I'm working on was supposed to be a holiday present for my sister and it's already obviously late so I'm so trying to make it perfect but also not mess up a bunch of times and have to keep redoing it like i have been. Gonna have to breakdown and get some of the opaque amazing cast for dem lightning speed curing times.
>>
File: 1430378003357.png (1B, 486x500px)
1430378003357.png
1B, 486x500px
>mfw I got a heat gun for christmas
I've only used it once so far, but it obliterates the shit outta bubbles as long as the resin hasn't gotten too tacky. I fucking love it.

Anyone else get any supplies for the holidays?
>>
>>9302255
i got myself things, lots of things

but most important of these things is storage containers. my supplies are out of control.
>>
>>9302255
I got a Michael's gift card and bought myself some acrylic glaze spray and findings. I tried to get Pearl-ex powders but either they don't carry them or the staff there just collectively forgot they existed.
>>
>>9302365
I haven't seen pearl-ex powder at Michaels and shows it out of stock on the website. I'm taking a guess they might not be carrying it anymore.
>>
>>9302365
I adore powders. I got myself I think it was a 72 pack from amazon, and it's been lasting me quite a while. I'd highly recommend it. It goes a long way when just using a bit for resin or making a paint with modpodge. You only need a tiny bit to brush on moulds or mix in.
>>
>>9302365
Mica powders work great too, if you can't find Pearl-ex.
>>
>>9302365
they are usually with the glitter, hanging near the bottom of the planogram
>>
Any good finds blog floating around? Somebody posted this one on a Facebook comm but it's all Taobao items http://diytaobaofinds.tumblr.com/
>>
>>9302922
finds blogs* sorry for the typo.
>>
>>9302255
I was gifted a bunch of bezels, a caulking gun, and silicone for Christmas. Now I can start actually putting my cabochons to more use
>>
>>9302376
I've seen a pack at my place. You'll just have to go in person and check. It's in the stamp section.
>>
>>9302255
I got surprised with a standing mixer from my grandpa.
I don't really bake too much, but I have a few recipes that I make frequently enough to make a mixer worth it.

I'm so freaking excited, it makes me really want to try my hand at cake decorating and more baking in general. Boyfriend is excited for delicious baked things too.
>>
>>9302956
>suddenly remember this is also an indie crafts gen thread.
I also got a table loom and some more heavy duty needle felting needles.
While everything else gets me itching to make kawaii things. I'm scratching at my head what I can make from a loom with max dimensions of a 14x17 in rectangle
>>
>>9304350
You got a loom? Lucky, I've been wanting one since forever but can never justify getting one since I have no more space.
As for what you can make with it, how about just trying out new techniques and working with new/expensive materials? It's small enough that you won't waste much money if it all goes to shit, and large enough to give you an idea of what a full-sized version of your project would look like.
>>
File: WP_20161227_002.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
WP_20161227_002.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9304920
Aw thank you anon! That sounds like a great idea. For now I tested it out with some baby yarn and it made for a cute placemat.
>>
File: KAN1974.707.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
KAN1974.707.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>9304350
>>9306148
Do some kawaii wall textiles
>>
>>9249161
are those sponges ??
>>
>>9304350
>what I can make from a loom with max dimensions of a 14x17 in rectangle

Pillows that say cool things
Wall hangings like >>9306156 said
Arm warmers
boot toppers
headband
teacozy
jar covers
>>
>>9308442
ears
>>
How do you guys deal with microbubbles?
>>
>>9309007
Heat gun or pour the resin in thin layers so the bubbles pop by themselves.
>>
>>9309007
straw, long lighter, or heat gun. some brands are also more prone to microbubbles than others, and temperature/humidity can also affect them. if they will not go away you might disguise them with a pinch of glitter
>>
>>9309162
I recently filled a black bezel with clear resin and ended up with microbubbles. I was just able to go over the bubble spots with a black sharpie and it disguised it perfectly haha. Felt like such a sneaky bastard.
>>
>>9309007
I warm my resin before mixing. (Put sealed bottles in a container with hot water for 5 mins)
Then I make only small batches of resin at a time, because it cures quickly.
Bubbles are minimal that way.
>>
>>9309007
I let it sit for a good 20 minutes or so before pouring, then I do thinner layers, pop them with a stick lighter, then add more layers and repeat the process.
>>
>>9309007
Patience and heat. Use resins that aren't prone to them (UV resin bubbles like a bitch, you'll likely end up with a few bubbles no matter what). Warm the resin before mixing and leave in a warm place before and after pouring, then go over the surface with a heat gun or lighter.
>>
Do you have to wait for each layer of the resin to dry before pouring more?
>>
>>9313131
YES. There's no need to wait for it to cure completely but it needs to be hard. If you don't wait you will 100% regret it- the incoming resin moves everything, the still-squishy layer distorts, and you will be left with a mess.
You could get some pretty cool effects using clear+colour resins, but if you're making a normal layered piece, just wait it out. Speaking from experience here.
>>
>>9313233
Thanks for the info, anon!
>>
>>9293653
Do you have a link to more of your work? I want to give you money!
>>
>>9253836
These look a bit like they're made of cheese. No bully, I promise, please keep trying! I want to buy this from you, like fire.
>>
>>9313720
>Made of cheese
I can see it now... maybe adding shading or other details would make it look less like dairy? The molded bits do look a bit like holey cheese from a distance. Painting the lumpy pearly things in the frame would be a good start.
>>
>>9306156
>>9308451
Thank you anons for adorable inspo!
>>
>>9309007

Also try pouring from a height so it runs thinner and less bubbles form in the mix - but dont do this if you're in a place where there is wind or I promise you the resin will try to attach itself to your face.
>>
>>9314242
I think it's a question of the colour as well, might just be the camera but the frames have a very saturated yellow hue - something a bit more metallic looking would do.
>>
>when you want to make some resin stuff but you're at school and left it all at home so you wouldn't be distracted.

I mean, I guess I was right to leave it, but it still sucks
>>
>>9315023
I've done this and it's pretty hit and miss. If the resin's just a tiny bit too thick you end up getting more bubble than resin.
Really useful for detailed molds though, since air bubbles tend to form in the spaces and pouring from a height lessens the chances of you getting a piece with massive chunks missing from the front.
>>
I want to get into using UV resin and I think most people use like a UV gel nail lamp to cure it, but does it matter what wattage/bulbs they have?
>>
I wanna try my hand at making something like this, and I was just wondering if there are any stores/sites that sell craft supplies like glitter, charms and ribbon etc that's a bit more cutesy?
I'll google around some on my own of course, but I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations
Thanks in advance!
>>
I did it. I made my first resin piece. I'm so fucking happy. It's pretty average, probably would never wear it myself to be honest, but it cured properly, the glitter is evenly distributed, and it doesn't feel like it's about to break in my hands.
>>
Where are people getting the pink, teal, and otherwise cute colored chains from? Stuff like in >>9327434, not the tacky metallic dollar store bling looking colored chain.
>>
I don't know whether this is the correct post to ask, sorry in advance if I'm wrong. So I've opened an Etsy shop selling handmande kawaii accessories but so far, after 2 months, no one is buying anything in my shop. Is this common? How do you gulls bring customers to your Etsy shop?
>>
>>9332305
How have you been promoting your work? Part of drumming up business is getting yourself out there via social media. Etsy is a pretty big marketplace so you can kind of get lost in the sea of sellers.
>>
>>9332308
I don't have a big social media presence to be honest. I'm thinking of making an Instagram for my Etsy shop, but I just don't know how to pull in followers on Insta. Do I just spam everyone's comment section on Insta? Or will that deter most people?
>>
New to this. Sorry for the spoonfeeding request. What are some recommended places to buy UV resin from? I'm looking for the clear type. The nearest Daiso is 2000 miles away so that's out of the question. I have no problem using an SS and have the same question as >>9255954
Can I cure my resin in a normal gel nail lamp? Is there any kind of odor or fumes I need to worry about? I live in a dorm that doesn't have very good ventilation.
>>
Do I need to use resin dye to dye UV resin or can I get away with using acrylic paint or powdered fabric dye?
>>
Can I use silicone molds for traditional resin? What about for UV resin?
>>
>>9338195

If you head on over to MistyPixel on youtube she did a video most recently on colouring resin and shows you the outcomes. She talks specifically about acrylic paint but with fabric dye you'll have to experiment, I imagine you'd have to add tiny amounts and treat it like any other powdered pigment i.e. not too much and mix in completely.
>>
>>9338266

If you mean epoxy by traditional resin then yes you can, you can also use it with polyester resin from my own experience.
UV is fine, in fact it's encouraged because the UV lamp can cure it easier and you can peel out your pieces if you need to build them up outside of the mold.
>>
>>9338190
Padico UV Resin. You can buy it on Amazon. As long as your gel lamp is a UV lamp, yes. If you're in a sunny area, you can just use the sun. UV resin generally won't have any fumes you need to worry about. It's just pour and cure.

>>9338195
What a coincidence. I actually attempted mixing in acrylic paint in some pieces last night. I use UV resin that cures in the sun, so I had left it out where the sun would hit. Everything on the top was fine. I had to take the pieces out of their molds so that they could cure on the back (currently happening), though. I guess the paint had settled there and made it more difficult for the resin to cure. It wasn't liquidy, just tacky.
>>
>>9338344
She's showing epoxy resin, right? So does that mean I can't use resin pigments with UV unless they're made specifically for it?
>>
>>9338458

I use polyester resin and get by with pigments made specifically for other resins and have no problems. Much like with any pigment, as long as you dont go overboard it wont fuck with your curing.
>>
>>9338266
Epoxy and UV resin. I've used silicone molds for both and have no problems. You just need to be sure the silicone mold is clear enough or you work in very thin layers at a time or your uv resin won't sit.
>>
>>9332538
i think just use tags smartly. i do insta tag searches often.
>>
Has anyone tried to mix glow in the dark pigment in with either epoxy or UV resin? (would rather do UV because of my living situation)
How much does it affect the curing process?
>>
>>9343986

It seems like the wood and carpentry inclined side of this hobby does this a lot already. From what I've seen the process isn't very different from mixing regular pigment in. There are even glow in the dark mica powders you can find on aliexpress. I would assume the interaction between the glow in the dark powders and UV resin would be just like regular powder and UV resin - which is if it gets too dense, some of the piece won't cure well enough, but that's about it.
>>
>>9343986
hasn't affected regular epoxy resin curing time for me.
>>
>>9344488
Yeah the powders I was looking at were on AE, thanks
>>
>>9332262
Not sure where you can get them wholesale but there's quite a few etsy shops you can get them from if you look up "pastel chain" or something like that
>>
>>9332262
Unfortunately this is only 40cm worth of links and it looks like you can't link them together without a connector because they're closed
http://s.aliexpress.com/rUjeqAF7
>>
What wattage should I use for curing UV resin? I know you can use a nail lamp but what specific lamps is everyone using?
>>
Anyone had success with applying waterslide decals to resin? I also heard you can substitute clear vinegar for decal softener, anyone tried this?
>>
>>9345058
any works. If it's lower wattage you'd just leave it on longer.
>>
Planning on doing some resin experiments with both epoxy and UV resin. Want some suggestions on what to test. It's gonna take me a while to get all the materials together but I want to try different additives and pigments to see what the end results look like and how the curing process is affected. I'll post results here when it is done
Things I plan on testing (let me know if you think of something I haven't)
Thermochromic pigment
Glow in the dark pigment
Color shifting/holographic pigment
Powder fabric dye
UV reactive pigment
>>
>>9345840
that "mirror" pigment i see for use in nail art. keep running into it on AE and am curious if it would have any shiny effect in resin

thank you for doing this. if you make a video of the befores and afters i think a lot of people would find it useful.
>>
I was thinking into getting into creating some glow in the dark rave masks. I was thinking doing paper mache or some sort of resin or silicon based ones with a mold. I am unsure as what would be the right course of action. My first ambitious project would be Cubone mask. I need some guidance. I want to make it like Cubone's skull mask in 3d.
>>
>>9347201
I feel like you would have better luck using worbla for this kind of project. It cost you more in time and frustration trying to do this with resin.
>>
>>9345074
Also curious about this!
>>
>>9332262
Try looking for bird chains/toys.
>>
>>9332262
You can get them and plenty of other nice craft stuff from here.
https://www.miniaturesweethk.com
>>
anyone who tables at cons have table setups they would like to share?
>>
>>9347676
Definitely use worbla
>>
Are they any good Taobao shops for Resin or is resin mostly done in Japan only?
>>
>>9351934
Like the ACTUAL resin? Anon, are you sure you want to trust China with something that's already fairly toxic? Resin isn't even that expensive. Padico is $13 for 25g on Amazon, for example. That's UV resin too, so you're using all 25g of that.
>>
File: 1353519868439.jpg (357KB, 691x518px) Image search: [Google]
1353519868439.jpg
357KB, 691x518px
>>9351841
i have a lot of inspo saved, any particular type of indie craft you would like? kawaii, elegant, plushes, etc.?
>>
ok senpai a lot of us wanted to do a craft exchange. it is way too soon after Xmas and WD is still ongoing, but i want to gauge interest in a future exchange that is ONLY for craft thread regulars with a storefront/social media presence.

general idea: we make a unique, custom piece or pieces around $20-25USD for a recipient based on their profile (style, likes, etc.). BEFORE ANYTHING IS SENT, we share progress photos and talk about methods used. after sending, the recipient would post the item and review it, here and on social media.

this way, recipients get a custom piece and makers get a review/concrit and anons in general learn from the process. this would be transparent rather than anonymous and i would be a hardass in requiring who can participate. like maybe i would need to see public evidence of your presence in the craft threads, or it may be restricted to GALA affiliates, and if anons have a history of meh or bad feedback you may be asked to sit out for now.

some of us in the US have tabled at RuffleCon or other cons at the same time as each other, so we could also coordinate something like this that could be exchanged in-person and then ride the social media tags of that con to point congoers to each other's tables

just spitballing ideas, what do you think?
>>
>>9351987
I think they meant shops that sell finished pieces, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>9353205
I like the idea of this, but I feel like there should be a way to prove you make stuff other than by having a store or online presence. I feel like there are plenty of people who make things as more of a hobby, or for themselves, rather than for money or likes online.
>>
>>9353264
>I feel like there should be a way to prove you make stuff other than by having a store or online presence
any ideas?

part of the purpose is to help give exposure to each other's work, as well as insuring against deadbeats by staking participation on reputation.
>>
>>9353192
kawaii resin stuff please! Or any jewelry really
>>
>>9353272
Like having them take a picture of their past work and their workspace? I have an Instagram for my hobby stuff too so you can always ask for that.
>>
File: 1466522590010.jpg (402KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466522590010.jpg
402KB, 1500x750px
>>9353280
>I have an Instagram for my hobby stuff too so you can always ask for that.
yeah, a social media profile like that would def work

>>9353276
here are a few
>>
File: round-table.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
round-table.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>9353289
i love this one so much
>>
>>9353290
these are more on the elegant side but jewelry-focused so i hope that is ok
>>
File: tumblr_o0o3ki9b7u1tftwcao1_1280.jpg (465KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0o3ki9b7u1tftwcao1_1280.jpg
465KB, 1280x960px
>>9353292
>dropping pic
>>
>>9353293
>>
File: tumblr_n3n57u36041rgnxpao1_540.jpg (91KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3n57u36041rgnxpao1_540.jpg
91KB, 540x360px
>>9353294
>>
File: DSC01213.jpg (439KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01213.jpg
439KB, 1600x1200px
>>9353298
>>
>>9353301
>>
File: indie craft fair 009.jpg (162KB, 1000x752px) Image search: [Google]
indie craft fair 009.jpg
162KB, 1000x752px
>>9353302
end dump
>>
>>9353305
I love these! thank you
>>
>>9353301
>Buy some buttons
>Glue them on the ring/Put them in a string/etc
>...
>Profit

I think this is lazy
>>
>>9353516
>>9353301
It is a bit, but I kinda want one. What kind of glue would they use to put the thin pin onto the back of a button? I can easily see these falling off with the glues I have in my collection now, which is stuff collected from hardware and craft stores over time.
>>
>>9353665
They probably used E6000.
>>
>>9353516
that was for a craft show so maybe they are ~artisan buttons~

>>9353418
you are welcome
>>
some more displays. often i disregard pastel booths' ideas but the customized trays and fixtures here made me realize i can do the same with a fabric of my choice, to avoid the sameness of all-black
>>
>>9353750
>>
>>9353751
i like my black fixtures, but they tend to overpower the designs. in any case, a coherent and consistent color scheme seems to make a huge difference in how professional a display table looks
>>
>>9353752
last one
>>
Hi /cgl/, I'm in a big need of advice. So I created these rings, and despite how weird it sounds they're roses in capes. I pursued a romantic concept, but ended up having something... odd. Just how bad is it? Should I give up on the idea or is there a way to make it work?
>>
>>9354177
Girl I thought they were squids with roses on them...
>>
>>9354177
The roses' placement should've been higher, but it's hard to tell that it's a ribbon because the silhouette isn't distinctive enough.
>>
>>9354177
I thought those were mushrooms.
>>
>>9354199
>>9354203
I've heard worse, eh

>>9354201
Would more distinctive ribbon fix the situation?
>>
File: TableSetup.jpg (84KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
TableSetup.jpg
84KB, 960x720px
>>9351841
I only do a couple a year but here was my last one
>>
File: anattemptwasmade.png (955KB, 1088x717px) Image search: [Google]
anattemptwasmade.png
955KB, 1088x717px
>>9354205
Squid anon here. It's not that they look BAD, they just don't look like anything in particular. I think I get what the other anon was saying about the silhouette. Please excuse my shitty paint illustration.

I think you should first move the rose up so that the cape seems to be "resting" on the top of the rose. Right now there's just that empty space there and it looks very off. Next, fix up the silhouette so instead of two pieces (the cape and the ribbon tails), you get three pieces (the cape, the bow, and the ribbon tails) so it looks more like a cape at first glance and not, well, a squid or a mushroom.
>>
>>9353289
>>9354211
Oh this is mine! Haha didn't realise it had already been shared, thanks anon
>>
>>9354217
Thanks, anon, it's a good advice, I'll try to make these improvements.
>>
>>9354219
mirin' your setup famalam
>>
>>9354177
This splatoon fandom shit has gone too far
>>
File: Rosettes.jpg (452KB, 1400x699px) Image search: [Google]
Rosettes.jpg
452KB, 1400x699px
I've mostly been making rosettes lately
>>
>>9357931
I tried my hand at making my first the other day(I posted it in the lolita general because I'm an idiot and forgot this thread is for non resin stuff too). What ribbon are you using for yours?
>>
>>9351934
There used to be a cute one bUT she changed names and it's been awhile, I don't even know if she still makes. Her first name was akilya on taobao I believe
>>
>>9357940
Satin and grosgrain, not sure what the gold stuff is called, there's a nice haberdashery near where I work so I just buy most of it from there as it means I can go in and feel the quality of things and see colours and textures together
>>
>>9357965
Ahh. I'm planning to go to the fashion distric this weekend to see what they have. Otherwise I'm searching different sites.
>>
>>9357997
It definitely helps to be able to touch things, good luck on your hunt!
>>
So I've recently come into owning giant spools of (thin) chenille yarn but I have no idea what to make with it. I can't knit but I do know how to crochet. Halp?
>>
>>9361299
Scarves, berets, sweaters, amigurumi, anything.
>>
>>9361299
cute gloves for cold meetups pls
>>
File: oddish.jpg (134KB, 916x440px) Image search: [Google]
oddish.jpg
134KB, 916x440px
Pokemon planter-anon here from few feels thread back, I finally managed to do some planter attempts (fresh from the kiln). Not the best quality since I haven't handbuilt for long time and the glaze is just some leftover I wanted to get rid of. The eyes were supposed to be red-brownish, I don't know why they aren't.

Just wanted to share these, I hope the people from back the thread will see this.
>>
How do you make resin coat photos/stickers evenly without using a mold? I want the resin to take the exact shape of the stickers not having to make them be circle shaped or squares or whatever mold shape.
Do I just go super slowly with tiny layers at a time or what?
I'm trying to make cabochons to use in other crafts out of stickers
>>
>>9363088
All you have to do is just slowly drip resin on top of it.
>>
Gonna dump some resin inspo I've picked up from Twitter.
>>
File: C2VCbdvVIAAB24R.jpg (169KB, 899x1199px) Image search: [Google]
C2VCbdvVIAAB24R.jpg
169KB, 899x1199px
>>
File: C2YD_WSUAAAKCmI.jpg (224KB, 1200x1058px) Image search: [Google]
C2YD_WSUAAAKCmI.jpg
224KB, 1200x1058px
>>
File: C3-4gXtVUAEBMVX.jpg (232KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C3-4gXtVUAEBMVX.jpg
232KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C3F3mImVMAAEWJ8.jpg (303KB, 1200x953px) Image search: [Google]
C3F3mImVMAAEWJ8.jpg
303KB, 1200x953px
>>
File: C3p_QNLVYAI9ri4.jpg (130KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C3p_QNLVYAI9ri4.jpg
130KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C3q5P-JUEAAHZGh.jpg (110KB, 960x749px) Image search: [Google]
C3q5P-JUEAAHZGh.jpg
110KB, 960x749px
>>
File: C3-zECdUEAAWPhS.jpg (140KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C3-zECdUEAAWPhS.jpg
140KB, 1024x1024px
>>
File: C3ZFtL9UkAMXrcL.jpg (135KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
C3ZFtL9UkAMXrcL.jpg
135KB, 1200x675px
>>
File: C4AWiqBUEAARqvR.jpg (77KB, 1010x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C4AWiqBUEAARqvR.jpg
77KB, 1010x1200px
>>
File: C4bv73TUEAEQx9B.jpg (205KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
C4bv73TUEAEQx9B.jpg
205KB, 1200x900px
>>
File: C4EZn_GUoAI-EHM.jpg (179KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
C4EZn_GUoAI-EHM.jpg
179KB, 1024x1024px
>>
File: C4O83ikVcAEWQZk.jpg (102KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C4O83ikVcAEWQZk.jpg
102KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C4xsugtUEAA_igH.jpg (158KB, 922x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C4xsugtUEAA_igH.jpg
158KB, 922x1200px
>>
File: C4ySh2FVcAIrTS0.jpg (118KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
C4ySh2FVcAIrTS0.jpg
118KB, 1023x682px
>>
File: C26Bor5VIAAKf5b.jpg (347KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C26Bor5VIAAKf5b.jpg
347KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C36ENLPVUAAReaC.jpg (273KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C36ENLPVUAAReaC.jpg
273KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: C36EQcgUoAA4Hyd.jpg (358KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C36EQcgUoAA4Hyd.jpg
358KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: Cvh-6CyUMAAFdK8.jpg (283KB, 1174x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cvh-6CyUMAAFdK8.jpg
283KB, 1174x1200px
>>
File: CyL1cKkUAAA7OXL.jpg (269KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CyL1cKkUAAA7OXL.jpg
269KB, 1200x1200px
>>
File: CyL1qAGUQAAE-91.jpg (286KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CyL1qAGUQAAE-91.jpg
286KB, 1200x1200px
>>
Just let the thread die
>>
File: il_570xN.1194746611_nh0e.jpg (51KB, 570x713px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1194746611_nh0e.jpg
51KB, 570x713px
>>9364681
Never.
Have a simple thingamabob I made in homage to Suppurate System.
>>
File: 20170219_171912.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170219_171912.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
>>9363088
Pretty much how you dome anything else. A small amount of resin dripped down and spread. Should work as long as you don't have to many small bits.

>>9358043
I went on Sunday and almost every shop had just craft store grade satin ribbon. I did lick out and find a few decent rolls of better quality ribbon. The far right one is silk ribbon and the other three are a cotton based. I managed to find the brands online so I can order them in other colors.
>>
>>9365918
Sorry the photo flipped. The top cream is the silk ribbon.
>>
>>9365911
Damn that's so simple yet beautiful.

Also I'm having problems with casting from silicon molds. I keep having bubbles even when I've warmed up my epoxy resin beforehand. Is there any way that doesn't involve popping it into a pressure chamber?
>>
>>9365920
Have you tried smaller layers and popping the bubbles with a lighter?
>>
>>9363725
I like this but...so many bubbles
>>
>>9365924
I haven't tried using a lighter yet but will a heat gun work as well? One of the molds only has a small opening so using a lighter is out of the question.

>>9365927
They probably used UV resin which is known for mysteriously spawning bubbles when it cures.
>>
>>9365927
That's the glitter you shit
>>
How do you get bubbles out of uv resin. Can you heat it.
>>
>>9365911
This entire thread has been limping along since November. I think it's time to put it out to pasture.
>>
>>9365932
A heat gun could work if you have it on the lower speed setting.

>>9365934
Yes. If you're quick.

>>9365936
Just let it be anon.
>>
>>9365933
Are you blind?
>>
>>9365933
No, take a proper look. There are a lot of bubbles don't make me draw red circles around them.
>>
>>9365942
I guess so, because I just see glitter
>>
>>9365940
Will a heat gun cook the resin though
>>
>>9365932
>One of the molds only has a small opening
you may have to cast in very small layers. how small is the opening? is the mold opaque?
>>
>>9365973
no, just ne swift with it. flame can leave a film on top if held on one spot too long, so i think a heat gun may do the same. keep it moving.
>>
>>9365977
The opening is around half an inch wide. The mold is pretty deep so it's hard to reach the bottom. The main problem is that if I color the resin too dark, I can't see if there's any bubbles hiding in the mold crevices.
>>
>tfw I just dropped 300 on new molds, findings, bezels, glitter and shit to make a tun of goods for my first con
I'm not going to make half of this back, I feel it.
But at least my etsy is going to be nice and full when I get home from the con.
>>
>>9369127
Are you me? I just bought some display fixtures too. See the aliexpress thread.

I spent about 50 bucks on molds, but got these amazing ones of motifs I like and haven't seen done outside of actual cast metal bits. Lanterns and iron gates are totally my jam.
>>
>>9369166
Man, display fixtures are going to ruin me. I'm tabling with a friend of mine that has an amazing set up and goods, going to be overshadowed so hard with my kawaii space shit. But ngl I'm excited too
Next up a cash box and paypal reader!
>>
>>9369127
I feel you. Shopping for supplies is the fun part.
>>
>>9369127
I haven't dropped nearly that much. But I do love hunting for hoodies. There's an outdoor swapmeet near me so I've been able to find a bunch of supplies for dirt cheap like rhinestonez and so on. Even managed to find some of those tiny nail art molds. They're great cause then I can cast my own snall cabochons.
>>
File: Czk7e8yVIAAuVvD.jpg (368KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Czk7e8yVIAAuVvD.jpg
368KB, 1024x1024px
>>
File: CyWPB97UkAAqBOg.jpg (281KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CyWPB97UkAAqBOg.jpg
281KB, 1024x1024px
>>9373201
>>
>>9373201
>>9373204
Dear god these photos hurt my eyes.
>>
Does anyone here make a living selling their kawaii, lolita, or other jfashion pieces or know anyone who does? If you do, could you tell us how you did it?
>>
This is a dumb question but how do I add eye pins/screws to UV resin pieces? I mean the mold has no place for me to put it. Am I supposed to try and add it in afterwards?
>>
>>9373695
I honestly don't think the market is big enough for you to make your living off of it. I'm planning on starting a shop soon as a source of additional income in addition to work study and YouTube
>>
>>9378151
Most people just drill a hole after the resin cures.
>>
>>9378182
Great now I have to buy a drill
>>
Will UV resin self-dome?
>>
>>9378265
do you mean, will it rise upward in a clear, shiny dome shape? yes, but only if you add a pinch of yeast.
>>
>>9378278
I seriously can't tell if this is a troll
>>
>>9378333
Only one way to tell anon.
>>
>>9378185
You could use a glue-on bail to avoid drilling.
>>
How overdone are frame brooches at this point? I'd been thinking of making some using my own art rather than stuff that's in the public domain, but I'm worried there's not as much demand for them now as there's been in the past. Even if they are a bit overdone, are there any themes or imagery that you haven't seen or would like to see more of?
>>
>>9380348
>are there any themes or imagery that you haven't seen or would like to see more of?
gothic, spooky, eerie shit that does not look cartoonish, kawaii, or girly.
>>
>>9373695
>>9373695
I sort of have. Im still building but I've been doing only this for the last year and a half.
I would say don't stick to one box. I do kawaii fashion and accessories. There is some lolita, some fairy kei, some decora, ect. and some cute pieces that dont fit into any one theme so they appeal to anyone. I also focus on selling at conventions and in person events and try to do one big event a month over focusing on etsy or someplace like that. Etsy is basically a supplement for my in person sales.
Don't expect to make it for a while I did it part time while working a regular job for 2 years before switching to doing it full time. They say any new business takes 5 years to really make any true profits
>>
>>9378167
It's oversaturated with people making shit honestly. Just look at the wth sales thread and regretsy threads that have popped up here. The amount of crap is turning people away from people who are actually making something worthwhile.
>>
In a pinch, black caviar beads can be a decent alternative to black dye. Definitely looks solid indoors and from a distance outdoors.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.