[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BlizzCon 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: j9py2lY.jpg (77KB, 570x960px) Image search: [Google]
j9py2lY.jpg
77KB, 570x960px
BlizzCon just happened this weekend. Show pics from the con if you have any!

This guy won the costume contest, btw
>>
Jnig and her FakeBoyFriend showed up as stupid Hello Kitty Reapers.
>>
>>9246864
Damn that looks good. Did anyone go? I want to see other costumes.
>>
I went, saw an out of town lolita, and got a lot of compliments on my itabag.

Overall, was a great con with lots of great cosplays.
>>
File: 583440.jpg (297KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
583440.jpg
297KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>9248507
honestly most of what was in the contest wasn't that great. I'm glad the Grommash won though, the guy who made it wasn't able to walk last year and he found someone else to model it for him this year
>>
>>9248084
Pix?

All I can find is her Deathwing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIXOjhUxe0

Here's whole contest
>>
cosplay at blizz was pretty weak this year. I blame overwatch
>>
File: kawaiireaper.jpg (142KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kawaiireaper.jpg
142KB, 1080x1080px
>>9251701
>>
>>9250903

I liked all of the alt skins from HotS and Overwatch, but the Warcraft side of the costume contest was really weak.

I can't believe the "original character do not steal" Elune ranked.

Like, yeah it was high quality, but doing a no-canon-appearance character is really cringy.
>>
>>9252951
Over $20,000 a month for this.
>>
>>9252847
Yeah I agree. I watched the video they had of the competitors from the cosplay contest and it was extremely underwhelming. There was a Valkyrie Mercy that wore tan leggings instead of actually making pants with the panels on the sides... how do you even put that on stage knowing things like this >>9246864 will be there?
>>
>>9255204
up close it was a glittery, barfy mess. Not surprised she placed though, Cynthia judged in 2013 and is buddies with Jess Dru who runs the contest and is a former Blizz employee.
>>
>>9255309

Oh I didn't know she was "somebody"

That sucks to hear.

While we're talking shit I also didn't really like the Grommash outfit. It was well crafted but full body costumes (that aren't armor) really don't gel with the idea of "cosplay" to me. Also, having been subbed through the entire thing for raids, being reminded that WoD even existed is my trigger.

Basically the not-slutted up girl Arthas and girl Varian should have won.
>>
>>9255329
She worked at Blizz for a few years, and left for Curse earlier this year. She goes by Aya Cosplay on Facebook
>>
>>9255309
Jess didn't judge the contest this year FYI
>>
>>9255356
Really? I thought the contest was her thing
>>
>>9246864

bump
>>
>>9255309
Enough of your bullshit accusations.
>>
>>9249186
This is scarily on point. Like i'm almost certain that's actual Soldier and he's somehow come out of the game to heal dad us all.
>>
>>9258732
Hi Cynthia
>>
>>9255329
The Arthas girl had all her armor commissioned for her. She called it on instagram a "collab" but in reality someone else made the 3-d models for her and printed it. All she really did was paint it.
>>
>>9258817
Really want to know who judged this year if it's true Jess Dru wasn't the judge. She would of picked better winners that deserved it.
>>
>>9258732
salty much? it's the truth
>>
>>9258739
the costume was commissioned from Eldritch Arts on facebook, not sure if they did the wig too or not
>>
>>9259049
Cynthia has lurked on this board for years. Of course she's salty we're calling her out on her bullshit costume.
>>
I wanna mention this because it's been bothering me over the past couple of years. Does anyone else feel like it's only "popular" cosplayers who are becoming regulars in the contest? I find this is the reason it's become boring for me. I've tired of seeing the same old faces year after year, especially when some of the cosplays have been a bit... meh.

I'd rather see new people turning up who have a passion for what they're making. I wonder whether half of the people on stage this year genuinely cared about the games or whether they just wanted to ride the bandwagon for publicity. I always thought Blizzcon would be one of those events where this wouldn't happen as much.
>>
>>9258817
Have you bothered to look at her social media at all? She 3D modeled everything - I believe she streamed herself doing some of that as well, and she printed and finished it herself. The only thing I've seen that someone else had a hand in constructing other than her was the sword.
>>
>>9259231
eh...I don't think I'd call the first place winner "popular" or a few of the runners up, but yeah I've noticed especially since Kamui won in 2013 that most of the people who end up placing or even just entering are more well known than they used to be
>>
>>9259231
I'm curious about this too, especially with entries being so limited. Do they waive the "first come first serve" rule if they see a popular entrant?
>>
>>9260438
I think it's more "if you bailed in the past/blew it off you have less of a chance" and "we have so many of this character, so we're going to waitlist you" although popularity might also play a role in it
>>
>>9259231

I wouldn't really call any of the entries popular, but I do think they should be more strict about how much professional help you can have before you being in the contest becomes unfair. However, I think the "professional power creep" has spoiled the contest too much for them to suddenly restrict entries. Enforcing this would create a visible drop in impressiveness that the masses would probably bitch about.

I personally know one of the Star Princess Li-Mings that was on stage, she plays a lot of HotS (duh), Overwatch, and WoW.

As for Blizzcon falling to attention whores that cosplay, western stuff is much more accessible to these types, especially with this new era of "be a pretty girl and stream yourself being shit at video games." It was only a matter of time.
>>
File: 1385523963236.png (19KB, 236x254px) Image search: [Google]
1385523963236.png
19KB, 236x254px
>>9259052
>commissioned from Eldritch Arts

Good lord, what % of the contest WASN'T commissioned?
>>
>>9265084
What do you mean "Professional power creep"

Meanwhile if the costumes that are coming out of this are at the quality of the OP then why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>9259231
Danielle Beaulieu has been bitching constantly on her facebook about not getting into the contest with her shitty 'slutty-fan art' cosplay designs from WoW, so it can't be entirely that.
>>
>>9269242
She dropped last time she entered because she "would rather get photos" and last year she was working the Corsair booth so she couldn't compete.
>>
>>9269046

>a bad thing

Because as it turns out half of them are commissioned entirely.

>>9269242
>>9259231

Much like Blizzcon tickets spots in the show are FCFS, but pro cosplayers probably have the advantage of being able to have somebody around at all hours to refresh the page the second sign ups go live. You don't see a lot of hoi polloi on stage because sign ups can become live while they're out at work/school/errands and are closed before they can get a second alone with a computer.
>>
>>9270067
signups are actually open for a month or more, and then the entries are sifted through. They claim it's fcfs for the contest, but it's definitely not
>>
>>9269242

Isn't it just whoever signs up first? They don't pick and who gets to enter, do they?
>>
>>9270067
>Because as it turns out half of them are commissioned entirely.

And this is bad?

The costume quality has been at its best in years as thanks to commissioning the people who make the best armor and props now put them on cosplayers who best look the part. Cosplayers always others who help instill a sense of community and cooperation so wouldn't an outfit that was pieced together by multiple people be a shining representation of the kind of collaborative work our community can churn out?
>>
>>9275255
When the prize money is going to the person wearing the costume and not the person who made it, that's not really fair to the people up on stage showing THEIR craftsmanship. It's like having an artist create a painting but giving credit to the person who frames it.
>>
>>9258921
no she wouldn't have - she judges every year, and every year there's winners who really don't deserve to be up there. And I heard from multiple people who competed that she was a judge - she was in a kigu of some sort according to comments she made on facebook. And the Elune costume style is right up her alley - super drapey everywhere out of fabric that isn't used properly, filigre and sparkles all over.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.