[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Larp thread, nothing new here edition the usualy stuff, why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 104

Larp thread, nothing new here edition

the usualy stuff, why am I writing this all the time?
pictures, stories, advices, shittalking goes here.
previous thread
>>9195632
>>
File: hazmat_top.jpg (35KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
hazmat_top.jpg
35KB, 640x430px
/spoopymedic/
>>
File: Oglaf_4d3a0f_5714759.jpg (19KB, 185x296px) Image search: [Google]
Oglaf_4d3a0f_5714759.jpg
19KB, 185x296px
Opinions on going to cons as your character?

pic not related
>>
>>9240817
Long as your kit/garb isn't shit it's actually pretty cool IMHO. Did it once or twice, and at one of the biggest cons here we even get our own zone to set up, which is usually a tavern and an arena.

Also, how do I git gud at fighting? I'm somewhat decent but I want to be, like, REALLY good. Any specific tips or drills I should do? Videos I should watch?
System here is HP based, not by zones like the american one but you try to make the fights look the best you can-usually inspired by historical fighting, movies and not-too-shitty games.
>>
>>9240817
did it several times, there was no problem other than people tried to guess who am I.
Then again we usually go to promote larp and let kids try out the weapons.

>>9240831
>Also, how do I git gud at fighting? I'm somewhat decent but I want to be, like, REALLY good. Any specific tips or drills I should do? Videos I should watch?
well the problem is historical fighting doesn't translate well into larp fighting for various reaosns, one of this is the weapons behave vastly differently, so 90% of the time you have to forget the binding and stuff like that.

Anyway you should look up the very basics like how to step, standard guards, etc. I recommend the videos of Dimicator for this, he explains pretty well the basics and advanced stuff too, usually shows useful drills in the videos
>>
Ok, so I'm the one that was asking for tent suggestions last thread. I've come to the conclusion that no one makes the tents I want the way I want them. As such, im now requesting somewhat historical accurate guides for tent making, and tutorials in general sewing canvas.

Yes, I probably will (read as most definitely will) be sowing my tent with a machine (because fuck sewing yards and yards of fabric in straight lines by hand), but I want to at least base the design off of historical looking tents, and have the spars be rough hewn wooden, mortised and peg set (ie, how they would have looked back then).

So aside from already asked questions, I guess I also want just general input on making one's own tent.

As i think about it, it would probably be best to make the spars and substructure first, then measure for and pattern the canvas. Is that the correct way to do this?
>>
>>9241165
it's easier to modify the structure than get extra canvas if it doesn't fit. just saying.
>>
Anyone interested in some LARP themed podcasts?
https://larpbook.com/ - UK Based site that has a regular podcast relating to [duh] UK news and
larp events

http://larpcast.podbean.com/ - long running US based podcast that, while interviewing organisers and players, mainly focuses on the mechanics and porblems of running or playing in a larp event.
>>
>>9240817
I went to Katsucon and Magfest in my larp costume this year. Haven't had time to make costumes for the past year or two, but I still love dressing up for them, I take an inordinately large amount of pride in impressing the Amtgard people.
>>
>>9240831
Best way to git gud at fighting is the same way to git gud at anything; practice well and often. Sort out a time with local nerd buds to meet and practice fight for a couple of hours each week in a park or w/e. Use a bunch of different simple rulesets to target different skill sets and keep things interesting.

Three simple games:
Circle of treachery: Free for all, everyone has three hits and the game starts with all weapons touching in the center. Try with noticeably different gear load outs and see who needs to be teamed up on to beat. Does playing a rocket tag version where everyone has only 1 hit, or a slugfest where people have 6 or 7 change the dynamics again?

Mousetag: Get into threes then in those threes into a two and a one. The one has three hits and the pair only have 1 each. Can the one trade blows and position themselves effectively enough to win the 2v1, are some pairs noticeably stronger than the sum of their parts, do others tend to just get in each others way? Rotate so everyone has a chance in each role

Drop: this game is mostly about teaching you to follow through for the kill when you have the advantage and also helps a little with remembering to heroically RP taking hits. Instead of a fixed hit pool whenever you are hit e reel back for a few seconds fighting defensively, hit whilst reeling you fall to the floor, hit on the floor dead. I guess this game also helps you practice recovering from strike downs if that's a call in your system. How different does this play in teams vs in FFA or 1v1 pairs? You can try giving people effects to balance for skill levels, perhaps someone reels twice before falling or can call strike down on their first blow...

Try to vary the people involved as much as possible to keep ideas fresh so you continue to learn.
>>
HOW THE FUCK DO I MAKE A LEGAL BUCKLER?!
>>
>>9242518
according to the laws.
>>
>>9242518
but seriously, what rules does it need to abide?

For example, I made these with a PVC backing, heat-shaped on the leftmost steel buckler, then covered the flat and edges with foam. BAM, completely legal in most systems I play.
>>
>>9242547
then again we play in systems that vastly differs from the US or sometimes even from the rest of europe
>>
Im new here, how do i get into a larp group? Ive tried looking for one in my area but havent had any luck, i live in columbia sc btw
>>
>>9242713
You don't have to be in a group for your first LARP.
Just go to a LARP, and you'll meet people there.
>>
>>9242735
Ok how do i find ine of them?
>>
>>9242740
http://www.larping.org/larps/

Or just search for South Carolina LARPs on google.
>>
>>9242748
or there is also facebook with it's various facebook groups
>>
>>9242748
I think that map is seriously out of date. A lot of the games' website links lead to expired sites or Facebook groups with no posts in years.

Googling [area] LARP is a better idea. There's probably at least a chapter of Dystopia Rising or Alliance nearby, which is better than nothing even if their mechanics are shit.
>>
>>9242912
that map was never up to date.
It's just something where everyone can upload their larp but only tryhards did it ever, and the rest never cared about it or even knew that the map exists
>>
>>9243173
The larp I go to is on it.
That might say a lot
>>
>>9243802
Oh yeah, there's still plenty of stuff there. There's just a lot of out-of-date shit taking up space too, and a few important names left out.

It makes a good starting point, just don't check it and give up when you don't find what you're looking for.
>>
>tfw it's the night before the event and both of the new players who were super enthusiastic have to cancel yet again

Third fucking time this has happened, and that's just with these two. I've given up on a bunch of other players who always "forgot" or had stuff come up every time.

Anybody else have this happen a lot? How do you deal with it?
>>
>>9240492
Larping newfag here; I recently joined what is basically a boffer tag with RP added on, and I am good enough at fighting to not embarrass myself. Now I wanna get started on a very basic costume, since rocking around in stage blacks makes me feel like a moron.

Can somebody walk me through building a "medieval" costume? Pretty much everything before and including the 1600's is fair game, and classic fantasy stuff too. They don't enforce time periods very stricly, though.

I'd like to either have English style clothes, or Viking/Dane style clothes. My goal is to eventually build a crusader outfit, but that's a while away. Either one really works, since my character's backstory is that he's been to a bunch of different places in that region to fight.

I can (shittily) sew on the sewing machine and by hand. Simple is good. I want to keep the budget as low as possible, but I don't mind spending some cash.

So, give me some ideas guys. Tutorials, advice, whatever. I'm starting entirely from ground zero here, and I dunno where to go. THe only thing is I'd like to start building the torso part of my costume first.
>>
>>9244012
Anglo-Saxon or Norse would be easiest as you don't have to bother with hosen, but that would preclude you from crusader stuff. Different era.

Either way, a nice long tunic is a good start. Wear a plain tracksuit and a T-Shirt underneath and a thigh-length tunic should hide any modern parts of your clothing till you get better base layers, then wear a belt around your waist.

Another simple way to look decent is to get some workboots and use footwraps to hide your boot webbing and socks. Wrap up to the top of your calves to get the puffy pants trouser look common to that time. Make sure your boots are the same color as your belt, as well as any further leather kit you can get.

You'll look plain, but not too bad for a starter.

You're a beginner, so use thick cotton before you destroy nicer fabrics.

A final tip. Google the Medieval Tailor's Assistant. It's a good resource for patterns on medieval garments as well as general sewing tips and advice for making and adjusting your own patterns.
>>
>>9243931
>and a few important names left out.
and by few we mean hundreds of important stuff
>>
>>9244012
the most basic advice I can give to everyone is look up the "medieval tailors assistant" book. It covers the basic stuff with a few patterns.

Also try to think in layers, like with your normal clothing. You will need a shirt, something above it and maybe a third layer (which can be for cold weather or a tabard or something to show your alligances or other stuff)
You will need some kind of pants, either a fantasy version or a hose variant.
And of course you will need a headwear. That's the most important thing if you want to be stylish.
Then there are the accessories but that's another deal
>>
>>9243946
Have people pay ahead of time. Problem solved.
>>
>>9244012
I'm a re-enactor with a group that does a lot of Anglo-Saxon,Viking and (Crusader era) Anglo-Normans. Helping new members plan their kit is basically my role in the group these days.

Since your larp is playing fast and loose with historical accuracy how detailed and consistent with any time period is up to you. This is both in terms of style and what materials you would use (100% linens and wools vs. poly-blended fabrics).

Luckily while both periods have details and accessories to help them stand out, it's actually quite easy to put together a generic kit that covers both Viking and Crusader costume. You can try to have a general purpose kit or a tunic specific to one or the other.

As Hungarian says, layers are key.

Shirt (Linen); A bleached white or undyed linen shirt with long sleeves and about knee-length.

Tunic; About knee length with tight sleeves to the wrist, worn over the shirt. Having both a wool and linen tunic let's you change depending on the weather.

Leg wear; Braes (linen knee shorts) worn under hose (woolen tights often with feet) cover both periods, while A/S and Vikings could also wear trousers which are easier to make but more date/culture specific. A/S & V can also wear leg wraps instead of or as well as socks over the trousers or hose; we had a discussion about them last thread.

Shoes; shoemaking is hard so buying a decent pair when you have the money is recommended. Again I can post information from last thread if that would help.

Cloak; Rectangle of nice thick wool worn lengthways and held at the weapon shoulder with a pin or brooch. Jewellry is a great way to add some date/culture specific details to a generic kit.

Finally check out this photo gallery put together by a friend of mine that covers a huge range of kit 793-1215. https://regia.org/members/aophotos0.php
>>
>>9244024
>>9244361
>>9244474
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I decided to go with a more Norse look, since the trousers are more my style.

I'm looking at tunic designs now, and I'm thinking a mid thigh length one in a more muted colour is what I'll try to make from fabric from scratch. I also got a leather belt from a thift store which has a very simple clasp, and is roughed up a bit to go over the top.

I'm also going to check out the Medieval Tailor's Assistant asap, and try my hand at making a basic cloak.

Thanks once more; I'll probably get started on this stuff tomorrow, since knowing me I'll fuck up the first few times before I get it right.
>>
File: IMG_0058.jpg (222KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0058.jpg
222KB, 2500x1667px
"story tiem"
as I mentioned in the previous thread last weekend I was on a scifi larp.
Previously I didn't mentioend it mostly because me and two other guys were "surprise" players in the game.
As in "surprise motherfuckers! There are freedom fighter guerrillas in the woods who will kidnap the shit out of you"
We went to the game area before the other players hid our camp deep in the woods, and nobody saw us until the night, and even than it was just for a short firefight.
Most players didn't knew we are there, they thought that we couldn't come for various other reasons, and when they finally saw us they couldn't catch our ragtag group. (see here >>9240492 )

Sadly there aren't many pictures from the game but I just got a dozen or so.
>>
File: IMG_0064.jpg (263KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0064.jpg
263KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0065.jpg (377KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0065.jpg
377KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0068.jpg (405KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0068.jpg
405KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (300KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
300KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0091.jpg (425KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0091.jpg
425KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0096.jpg (436KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0096.jpg
436KB, 2500x1667px
>>
File: IMG_0103.jpg (532KB, 1866x2500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0103.jpg
532KB, 1866x2500px
>>
File: IMG_0056.jpg (1009KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0056.jpg
1009KB, 2500x1667px
>>
>>9244789
So did you manage to abduct any halpless larpers for sinster medical experiments in the name of freedom?
>>
>>9244846
nah, we kidnapped a girl from the media team so she can make a video interview with us where we uncover the evil nature of the settlers in the new planet where we were.
Also kidnapped a guard, although we released him quickly after a short interrogation
>>
>>9244846
Would those "sinister medical experiments" perchance be related to that sign in the background?
>>
I need a gambeson for the scale mail I just made.
Ideally just want the vest, without arms.
Is it worth trying to make? Cheaper to just buy?
How is epic armory's is long time quality? I borrowed one for my last game and it wasn't great fit but it was fine.
In my costume its completely concealed so looks aren't really important to me.
>>
>>9244823
remind me of him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4
>>
>>9245055
Altough I don't like recommending mytholon products, their padded vest work fine and are pretty cheap.

http://www.mytholon.com/en/armour/padding/padded-jacketsgambesons/8241/arthur-padded-vest?c=1327
>>
>>9245836
Fuck. This is perfect. Cheap and exactly what I want.

They charging 100 euro bucks to ship it to my side of the ocean. Fuck that
>>
>>9244474
Different dude. Thinking of doing a Varangian Guard inspired kit. As I understand they were primarily displaced Norse, Saxon and Anglo-Saxon lords. Any major differences in regards to fashion that you'd know of?
>>
>>9246454
Not really, the main difference would be that a Varangian would have easier access to Byzantine silks. Other than that, you are looking at the same high status kit they would wear back home for the given time period.
>>
>>9240831
Practice martial arts, with or without weapons. It will improve your reflexes and accuracy. Being good at LARP fighting in most systems means primarily being good at parrying (and dodging if you're really that good). Also, learn a bunch of stances and moves according to your weapon style. You'd be amazed on how much you can improve by just knowing how to set your feet.
>>
WIP Dieselpunk soldier for a larp i'm running in 2018.
>>
>>9247158
I saw Toms pictures, it's looking really fucking cool. I'm gutted that I don't have enough leave to be able to start another larp next year.
>>
>>9244824
I really like this shot.
>>
>>9247158
god-tier design
>>
>>9240492
do you have close up picture of that black and red gun? it looks cool
>>
>>9247345
It's a Rough Cut 2x4 I repainted last year, here is the best pic I can find right now
>>
>>9247817
thanks! it looks cool up close too
>>
>>9242525
>according to the laws.
I am the law.
>>
>>9250274
get outta here shill, stop hurting people
>>
>>9243946
'Cos the ones you were talking to agreed with you because they wanted you to like them.

Or maybe they're flakes. or robots.
>>
>>9250294
or they signed up and take it back in the last minute solely to destroy the game.
>>
>>9244846
Anyway little summary on the larp just so you know how it worked.

Basically, the larp was trust based, and the firearms were represented with NERF weapons.
The story was that the players are people who come to this "new" planet around the star Kepler, so they can colonize it.
There was a first wave with more scientists and shit and a second wave with more miners and whatnot. There were people from the media too, administrators who looked over the whole project (as it was a project of a megacorp) and of course security

What most players and characters didn't knew is that in the first wave there were a lot of prisoners whom with the megacorp made a deal, work here on the new planet for five years and you are free to go.
Sadly the prisoners got sick in the new place with unknown viruses and stuff, lots of death, allegedly the scientists did human experiments on us, etc. So we bailed out, killed a few guards and left for the wilderness.
After spending a year there eating what we could found (this mean the corpses of other prisoners too as there was very little that we found) until the second wave arrived.

We had proof of what they did to us and the second wave doesn't really knew the things that happened here, so we planned to kidnap someone from the media to make it into the news (they set up a closed network in the house where you could see the "news" for real on your phone) And of course we wanted to get some revange.

So as I said we get to the game before the others set up our camp far away from them and did our little guerilla freedom fighter thingy
>>
>>9251053
Damn, I love when games have cool little self-contained plots like that. Especially when you can use media to make them work even better.
>>
File: 5392942_3681796344_5cRrd.jpg (270KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5392942_3681796344_5cRrd.jpg
270KB, 1920x1200px
Is Longsword viable for large-scale and group combat?

>>9242518
That would depend on your local rules. Here I just cut the basic round base out of wood, sliced an inner circle, used some Nirosta (IDK the name in English? Some sort of metal) bowl for the boss and covered the circle's edge with a layer or two of foam. Worked just fine.
>>
>>9246117
>>9245836
Say no to Mytholon and Epic Armoury. Shitty product stuffed with polyfill. As is constantly said here: Avoid larp costume armour, when you can get better for the same price.

Whats you budget and are you American? Anything from Lord of battle or GDFB would do you better, quality wise. http://www.kultofathena.com/gambesons-price.asp

>>9247158
Nice

>>9251599
>s Longsword viable for large-scale and group combat?

Depends on your game rules, your skill, your buddies and the presence of missile weapons
>>
>>9251599
What Gropey said is accurate. Beyond that, assuming your rules are at least slightly realistic, longsword is usually a poor choice for mass combat on its own, but perfectly fine with a shield.
>>
>>9251660
I'd like to keep it around 150 maple bucks where I live
Which isn't great considering the dollar.
>>
File: munitions plate.png (2MB, 759x951px) Image search: [Google]
munitions plate.png
2MB, 759x951px
I've got a massive dilemma at the moment. I've decided to start a later period character, and need to decide which helmet I should get. I love the look of a sallet, but am unsure how expensive they would have been back in the 15th or 16th century. Would someone who is poor be able to afford one, or would it be better to have a kettle helm?

are there any nice looking helmets that would have been cheap to mass produce? Planning on painting it, if that effects it
>>
File: Gamberson.jpg (280KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gamberson.jpg
280KB, 800x1200px
>>9251905
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7101E&name=Modifiable+Gambeson+with+Optional+Half%2DSleeves+%2D+Natural

>>9252385
15thC is best C.

Major question: What kind of game are we talking? Boffer larp? Recreation? SCA? Costume weight stuff will be cheaper and just fine for the first two, but not the last two, etc.

Either way, your best bet is to start with a good gambeson, and build from their, like a real soldier would. Jack chains are cheap enough, then you can upgrade to full arms, etc. etc.
>>
>>9252416
Boffer mostly, might work in some cosplay if I think it looks good enough at some point
>>
File: 1788545jackchains.jpg (36KB, 394x530px) Image search: [Google]
1788545jackchains.jpg
36KB, 394x530px
>>9252421
Got an idea of what you want to look like? Whats your budget?
>>
File: sallet_hammer.jpg (41KB, 564x710px) Image search: [Google]
sallet_hammer.jpg
41KB, 564x710px
>>9252434
Pic is my current planned outfit, after which I'll try to get a cuirass and build from there. I've already got a mail hauberk from my 12th century suit, but will need to sew some new soft kit
>>
Anyone have references for somewhat traditional pavilion style tents? I'm still trying to plan my octagonal tent.

On related note, where can I buy 7' rough hewn hardwood spars (or should I just go to local hardwood yard and cut them myself)
>>
>>9253403
What sort of thing are you looking for tentwise?
>>
>>9253955
I'm looking for books and such on construction of them. As for the tent it's self, nothing I can find meets my criteria, and asking in here previously led me to deciding on making it my self.
>>
File: 3aaSGLGJn9Y.jpg (59KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
3aaSGLGJn9Y.jpg
59KB, 640x960px
>>9240492
I need HELP

What is some solid motorcycle armor to wear as hidden armor for SCA shit? I'm looking to make a quick change to my kit because my torso armor looks like ass, and I really am just depressed with its appearance. What's some good, solid bike armor that will work under a jupon so I can look like this?
>>
File: doc1-Recovered.jpg (74KB, 565x851px) Image search: [Google]
doc1-Recovered.jpg
74KB, 565x851px
>>9240535
Spooky Medic
>>
>>9254235
FIRST: SAY NO TO PLASTIC

You will spend just as much on shitty playic as you will on steel. When I get to comp, i'll send links.

SECOND: DO NOT USE MOTORCYCLE GUARDS.

Motocross guards are not made for repeat impact, and do not cover what you need to protect anyways. If you REALLY need plastic, go with lacrosse or field hockey.

I dont care if a guy in a crown with a white belt tells you to wear it, its not faster or cheaper, and you will not be happy with it. Is that you in the pic?
>>
>>9254401
>Is that you in the pic?
>What's some good, solid bike armor that will work under a jupon so I can look like this?

I'm guessing no.
>>
>>9254401
...How is motorcycle guard bad for impact? It is literally meant for impact.
>>
>>9254508
The key word is repeat.
>>
>>9254508
Motorcycle gear is made for single large surface impact, maybe a bounce, and then slide. It is mostly designed to wear slowly against the slide, and doesn't really offer much impact protection as it is really the slide that does the most damage.

SCA has multiple small surface impacts, which cause different stresses. Lacross/hockey/rugby gear is more in line with the style of impact to be expected.
>>
>>9254643
So what tight fitting modern body armor can I use then that covers my arms and torso, is SCA legal armor, and can be easily hidden under something without being bulky. Zoombang?
>>
>>9254961
HEMA stuff
>>
>>9254967
that's not exactly body conforming? HEMA stuff to my knowledge is bulky leather jackets.
>>
>>9254972
depends on what you count as bulky. They are less bulky than the standard SCA stuff that's for sure.
Also I don't think that leather jackets is common in HEMA, I mean the various other padded jackets are the norm
>>
>>9254431
The Alcohol was in control last night.

>>9254508
As >>9254643 and >>9254638 said: Motor pads are made for ONE big impact, as well as don't cover all the areas we need.

>>9254961
Zoombang is an overpriced gimmick that has fewer and fewer proponents. Just get a real padded joupon or a well made gambeson for under a thin joupon. Proper quilted defenses do more for protection in our game than any modern plastic.

Fanless knee and elbow cops, and a simple body bracelet will get you on the field, with the padded joupon protecting everything else. If you really feel the need, hardened leather bracers and simple disk spaulders can be used too.

>>9254967
>>9254972
>>9254979
As some one who also studies HEMA, I don't suggest it. HEMA kit is not made for being beaten repeatedly with batons, but for incidental or lesser contact with feders and such.
>>
>>9255135
out of curiosity, what do you guys use for hema in the states?
>>
>>9255138
Me personally, I use parred down historic kit, and a three-weapon heavy fencing mask. Gambeson, padded gloves, elbow cops, etc.

Most people use various HEMA specific plastics on padded NOT!Gambesons, with others using historic stuff
>>
>>9255141
what confuses me is the
> incidental or lesser contact with feders and such.
because if we talk about feders it's not incidental but very purposeful and the contact in free fights or tournaments is far from lesser.
With one handed blades you can get away with less but around here the norm for feders are at least one padded jack/ modern gambeson variant (although lot of people uses their HMB gambesons)
Gauntlets heavily varies but usually modded HEMA gauntlets with added thick leather.
Also the plastic torso protection I don't know the name is there too also neck guard.
Shoulder guard is not neccesseary but lower arm and elbow plus knee protectors are usually a must have.
Shin guards varies, some people use it, some doesn't.

And of course there is the mask but there is a huge variation there too, although PBT is kind of favoured as it's a hungarian company so people can try it on.
>>
>>9255152
Incidental contact is stuff like knocking someone in the cod too hard or stomping on their foot.

And I promise you, not even your drunken slavs hit eachother at the same level of contact as bohurt. Im using heavy padded gloves, and my gambeson, which is thick and heavy enough to stand up on its own. Most people got the plastic robocop look.
>>
>>9255251
buhurt is still not SCA.
>>
>>9255257
No, but you don't have SCA, and as someone who does both, I am comparing it for you.

I am not saying any is better than the others, but simply put, the gear is not interchangeable on a wholesale scale due to the fundimental nature of the impact and style of contact. I wouldn't use my HMB gaunts for SCA either.
>>
>>9255263
alright, whatever floats your boat
>>
>>9255283
Typically water displacement and a basic understanding of physics. You seem to be misunderstanding the latter though.
>>
>>9255152
Gropes is right on this one. No one in Hema hits nearly as hard as buhurts or Sca just as a matter of fact. Its a different game. The difference of impact over surface area between steel and a wooden bat are vastly different.

Also, are not feders designed to be unable to generate as much force as a longsword out of purposeful design?
>>
>>9255135
So just a thick gambeson with elbow cops, then throw over a jupon?

Simpler than I thought it would be.
>>
>>9255327
Not unable to generate as much force per say, but simply to disperse it. thick edges and spring tempering means that a feder just tend to absorb a lot of the force you feed into it. Despite that, a feder will still fuck you up nice and good if you don't have hard protection for your hands, head, and throat. Hell, I've seen plastic wasters break fingers through lighter gloves before.

Also can I just take a moment to disparage the cavalier attitude people in HEMA have towards protective equipment? Because this isn't the first time I've been made to read this 'incidental contact' bullshit, and I have a feeling that it won't be the last.
Even if you're comparing HEMA to more dedicated armor-bashing shit like SCA or HMB, you are still swinging to hurt. You. Are. Still. Swinging. A. Sword. If your kit's set up for 'incidental contact," you're fucked if someone gets a clean blow on you. Anyone worth their salt on the tournament scene goes in fully expecting to take an unmitigated hit, and prepares accordingly. Yeah, it may not be made to have some falchion-shaped crowbar thrown at it, but it's still there with the express purpose of keeping all of your parts where they should be when someone clocks you in the ribs with a meter of steel.
>>
>>9255386
If that's true then why do the HEMA masters frequently go into a match wearing only a T-Shirt.
>>
>>9255388
drilling and light fencing with people you know is not the same as a tournament.

Also there were HEMA trainers on Swordfish who got drunk, taped razor blade on the rapiers and fought half naked, so there is that
>>
>>9255384
Throw on a heavy leather belt over your kidneys and you're gold. Are you at all familliar with the rules, and have you fought SCA baton combat before?

>>9255386
In a decade of various HEMA groups, I have never had anyone swing a sword with the force and intent that would be swung at me in an ALC/HMB fight. I am not being cavalier, as I am still wearing equipment that exceeds HEMA standards by miles. Simply put, the level of impact and thus padding, is lower by the very practiced nature of the rules. Yes, accidental strikes of higher power happen, but that is what the safety equipment is for. The goal of HEMA is not to physically beat your opponent, but to out maneuver them and score a shot based on technique, not power.
>>
>>9255395
>and have you fought SCA baton combat before?
Ja. I was just wondering if there was an alternative to bulky torso armor that weighs too much upon my knees.
>>
>>9255408
I repeat: Have you read the rules and armour standards? As long as your kidney's are covered, you don't need even padding on your torso. I did it for years, but got very good at blocking, as it was very unpleasant otherwise.
>>
>>9255415
Legally in my region you have to at minimum wear thick padding. Also my torso needs a fair amount of high protection, hence my wondering of an alternative to hard armor.
>>
>>9255548
Society Marshals Handbook, Section VI, E, 1: "The kidney area and floating ribs shall be covered with a minimum of heavy leather, worn over .25 inch (6 mm) of closed cell foam or equivalent padding."

So that said, you are obviously in a region where they realize that historic padding is safer than shitty camp mat foam. Where you located? Here in Atlantia, we totally realize that a good jack works fine.
>>
>>9255562
California, westie. Guys here swing like their lives depend on it.
>>
>>9255570
>Guys here swing like their lives depend on it.
Oh you sweet summer child.... Been to Pennsic or Gulfwars yet?
>>
>>9255395
I don't think that anon was saying that HEMA hits as hard as ACL/HMB, just that there's still enough force involved that "incidental contact" is a bit of an understatement. My experience with my local HEMA group is that I would very much regret armoring myself only for "incidental contact."
>>
>>9255756
Gropes is completely right though in that hema pads are not good enough for sca fighting.
>>
Anyone have good guides to making Latex weapons? I want to graduate from duct tape, but am being overwhelmed by the types of foam and paints. Do I paint then latex on top? Or use just a latex based paint? What is the proper core? I've read some guides online but am worried I'll follow a shitty one
>>
>>9255576
Not yet, haven't been able to get time off. I do know though that in my locale that you need seriously heavy duty helmets.
>>
>>9255900
Middle Kingdom here. You're in one of the most pussy hitting groups in the SCA. No offense, but its true.
>>
>>9255910
Our region is described as the thug knights because they don't use much tactics so much as they use brute strength. I've seen a guy here implode a breastplate by wailing upon it because the wearer wasn't calling his shots.
>>
>>9255914
Yeah, nah. The toughest poofters are still poofters. Ask them how they stack up to Atlantians or Tuchux.
>>
>>9255856
varries a lot. For core fiberglass rods. We use 8mm diameter ones here but only because we can't gat any 10 mm ones.
For painting you can either mix acrilyc paint to the last layer of latex or paint over the dries layer, or both (preferably both) there are various methods for these.
May or may not I will post Another hungarian larpfag's guide for home made latex weapons
>>
>>9255914
>>9255916
Both statements are tryhard alpha-nerd dick waving. Stop it.
>>
>>9256240
Gropalope, you started the "who hits harder" conversation, take responsibility.
>>
>>9255856
so tutorial.
1/???

This general setup is good for weapons if the overall length is over 100 cm
On the pic is used 8mm diameter rods but even 9 mm ones would be better, best are 10 mm and the very best would be ones that has a rectangular cross section. We don't have those in hungary and would cost a fuckton to ship it here but you guys probably can get it cheaper.

Anyway, 8mm circular shaped works too.

On the pic the middle rod is 120 cm, the two side rods are 70 cm nad they are 30 cm from the tip and 20 cm from the end of the handle.

The weapon this way doesn't bend too much edge wise, but have more flexible to the flat of the blade. This has it's merits and flaws, but generally this way handless a little better than the other way around.
>>
>>9256278
2/???

The tip protection.
This is for the purpose so the core won't damage the padding. For this purpose you make a little leather tube, covered in hockey tape or whatever it is called, and fill it with hotglue. Around 3-4 cm should go over the tube of the tip.
You should use some strong glue to attach the leather tube to the rod, and precise use of the hockey tape to so you won't have a "knot" at the end of the blade.

Also keep I forgot to mention that most of these methods are may or may not be "illegal" in US larps. Contact your local larp system before you use this.
>>
>>9256287
3/???

The blade
you should cut it out the GENERAL shape of the blade three times. The middle one should also have a cutout for the core, the other two will sandwich this.
Edge wise you should have 15-25 mm plus on it and length wise roughly 40mm plus.

Thickness of the foam we use here is 5mm
>>
>>9256294
4/???

Another hungarian larpfag usually glues together one of the outer layers to the middle one then uses hotglue to add the core, then glues on the final layer.

Foam on foma glue is Bison contact cement we use here. Contact glue is preferred but be aware that most glues basically eats away the foam instead of gluing it so do your research.

Also around the tip it is highly recommended to add textile strengthening, some kind of strong but thin (synthetic) textile between the layers, 5-10mm from the edge
>>
>>9256302
5/???
>>
>>9256329
6/???

Pommel.
Same technique as the blade IF you want to hit with it. Not a must have around here.
The weighting usually goes on the handle if the pommel should be safe
>>
>>9256331
7/???
Crossguard
In the middle there are several layers of leather. Number of layers should depend on the thickness of the leather, use as much as you see fit.
>>
>>9256333
8/???

As with the blade this also is just a general shape, detailing and such comes later. Also, putting hot glue on the edges of the leather is a good idea to protect the latex layers later
>>
>>9256334
forgot pic
>>
>>9256335
9/???

"Guide lines"
Get it? Guid lines, in a guide which are lines! GET IT?!
>>
>>9256337
10/???
>>
>>9256340
11/???

Cutting the edge... with a cutting edge! (alright this was the last horrible pun)

You shouldn't use sawing motins, instead use one single motion to cut it. Sawing motions will leave the surface pig disgusting
>>
>>9256343
12/???

fullers and such is easiest to cut out while the sword doesn't have the pommel on.
You should use a wide cardbox cutter for it.
Other imperfections can be dissappeared with a sandpaper and after the little "fluffs" can be burned down with a lighter.
Alternatively a dremel can be used instead of sandpaper if you know what you are doing and doesn't value tidiness in your room or a clean lung
>>
>>9256350
13/???

everything is assembled, after this you could technically cover it with tape so you get a duct tape boffer.
Or get your latex ready!
>>
>>9256356
14/???

Latex should go on in layers. One layer generally dry for about an hour.
You can paint the latex with acrylic paints.
Usually it needs 5-6 layers but rule of thumb is that you should put as much layers on it that the texture of the foam can't be seen anymore.
Painting it with drybrush method is also recommended, every layer after it dried.
>>
>>9256360
15/THE END

And this was the end product. Although that tutorial is more than a year old the techniques we use is still the same, but Another hungarian larpfag got better at using them
>>
>>9256363
here is one of the latest sword he made
>>
>>9256367
and another
>>
File: 1393219355791.jpg (431KB, 857x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1393219355791.jpg
431KB, 857x1200px
>>9256278
What are these rods?
Picture unrelated
>>
>>9256496
fiberglass rods
>>
File: 1385672968507.jpg (360KB, 803x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1385672968507.jpg
360KB, 803x1024px
>>9256501
Thank you
>>
>>9256363
Thanks a ton for this walk through.
Would you reccomend keeping the same end space for the same 3 rod technique for a long spear?
what kind of latex do you use to coat it?

a+ thank you again
>>
>>9256527
for a spear you need either more rods or thicker ones.
End space could work the same, although there are other methods for it
>>
>>9256530
3 10mm fiberglass rods would run it?
I know I'm going to have to experiment and make sure the flex isn't too bad.
>>
>>9256544
probably but I might change the setup for a spear as with this flat 3 rod setup if will have way more flex to one side than to another and that isn't the best thing for a spear
>>
>>9256556
Rotate it into a bundle?
Could also thin them out(use 8 or 7 mm) and bundle more around
>>
>>9256566
or if you can get a 12-15 mm thick one you could use a single rod
>>
>>9255843
... Yes? I never said anything against that.
>>
>>9256566
For a spear, I recommend getting one of the thicker fiberglass poles from Band Shoppe. They're sturdy and won't flex the way a bundle of thinner rods will.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 184x274px
How do I incorporate those sweet Warhammer Fanrasy aesthetics into my outfits?
>>
>>9258519
make a warhammer fantasy outfit
>>
>>9252385

Oh man, I really want to make an armour like that, but the only material i can work with is foam. Would it be viable or would it look too crappy, especially since its for a warhammer fantasy outfit.
>>
File: Local Knight Ruins Goth Club.png (144KB, 457x501px) Image search: [Google]
Local Knight Ruins Goth Club.png
144KB, 457x501px
>friend wants me to learn fight choreography with him
>keeps trying to teach me this "Shoulder, Leg, Leg, Shoulder" drill
>he's a bad teacher
>I can't stop doing improvisation or going for killing blows
>choreographed fights look like shite, anyway

Pic unrelated, it was Medieval Night at a goth club and I got too drunk and dabbed on-stage. I'm a human disaster.
>>
>>9258696
if you go to a goth club in armour at least have the decency to wear a gothic armour.
>>
>>9258701
Dark Souls is close enough, fampai!
>>
>>9258704
close enough for faerie goths
>>
>>9258710
>fair folk
>getting within spitting distance of anything containing iron
>>
>>9258713
>what is a redcap?
>>
>>9258838
A bullshitter.
>>
File: Musketenfeuer.jpg (39KB, 448x300px) Image search: [Google]
Musketenfeuer.jpg
39KB, 448x300px
Where can i get (period authentic wool)socks for my matchlock musketeer kit?

Preferably made to my foot's specific measurements. Any recommendations on people who custom make these?
>>
Gonna put together a dark souls inspired knight kit for a game.
with a big wizard hat
>>
>>9258519
Start with real armour and clothing from the late 15th/ear;y 16thC, and then add sculls, hammers, twin tailed commits, laurels, etc.

>>9258696
>Dabbing
You have shamed us all.

>>9258701
I had a friend that slapped a couple of goth band stickers on his breastplate once for that joke.

>>9258710
Goth fae aesthetic girls love a man in armour

>>9258978
Plain wool stockings are plain wool stockings. Any over the knee men's size wool stocking will do you. That said, you'll pay out the nose for wool.

http://jas-townsend.com/wool-stockings-p-239.html

http://www.bethlehemtradingpost.com/stockings-and-socks.php
>>
>>9258696
>complins fight chores looks shit
>buddy tryst to teach basic drill
>fucks around which is dangerous especially if actors aren't trained martial artists

Get out
>>
As an Australian, thank you Hungarian LARPfag for that sword building demo.
I'm going to go make some weapons now for a naval cutlass display our HEMA group is doing, and I'm in charge of Audience Participation.
>>
>>9259680
that might be not the best suited for hema stuff. Simply because it might be too wobbly for that.
Although I heard russians use textile bakelite cutouts and it's kind of good for training weapons
>>
>>9259683
>textile bakelite
Ok, my turn to not understand you. What do you mean by this? I though bakelite was a hard plastic?
>>
File: VSZ13[1].jpg (40KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
VSZ13[1].jpg
40KB, 800x600px
>>9259729
yeah but you can put textile strengthening in it. It's a very common thing in the soviet block countries. You can get it in different thickness and it is mass produced usually in sheets.
Easy to cut it up with a saw, durable, etc.
>>
>>9259376
Sometimes I'm NOT dabbing
>>
Anyone have any experience with the Dystopia Rising group in Colorado?
>>
>go to first game
>get assigned to newbie guild, told they will help me learn the ropes
>spend the next day following a "mentor" around who always takes the lead in RP, kills things before I can even get in range with spells
>drags me around on his miscellaneous tasks, forcing me to wait outside because "it's secret business anon you wouldn't understand"
>after next bit of combat, ask him if I can maybe try and take lead next time
>ehh sure but this RP thing is pretty difficult, you know
>Come across lost dark dwarf, attempt to converse with it
>out of nowhere he icebolts the darn thing
>you were too slow besides orders from the king are to kill dark dwarves on sight anon
>refuses to let me take lead in any RP from that point on, day just gets worse
>puzzle dungeons with HP sponge monsters that swing for 3 times my health+armor combined and take the group 30 minutes of tapping to get rid off that respawn immediately afterwards
>giant mass combat where I'm told my job as new guy is to drag bodies back, even though no one ever dies
>Can't interact with any mysterious events, told to "let the more experienced folks handle it you'll just mess it up"

By 7pm on the next day, I was completely done. The worst part was all the money I sunk into my costume, too. Did I just get stuck in a bad group? There are no other fantasy LARPs in the area, so I'm a little bit in a pickle.
>>
>>9260763
on guys frequently drops by he is in the florida section where they are according to him are pretty good, and allegedly there are shit tier organization in one another state which I always forgot which one, but probably not Colorado
>>
>>9260769
>Did I just get stuck in a bad group?
that's a shit tier group. Probably normal in the US if we go by all the stories.
>>
>>9260769
Well, it is normal to put newbies in the background and let them follow others around for a bit so that they know the role playing rules so that they dont make any major mistakes to ruin the experience for others.

But I'd say that group is shit, there is no point in you hanging around with this guy if you cant observe his meetings or be left with some own role playing space to get experience. And he should have told you early on that dark dwarfs are kill on sight, that is his main job in tutoring you.

>giant mass combat where I'm told my job as new guy is to drag bodies back, even though no one ever dies
Confirmed shit group, no one in the right mind puts a completely new guy in a position out of the fun. They just used you to empower their own role playing.

>There are no other fantasy LARPs in the area, so I'm a little bit in a pickle.
You may have to travel further away to reach a good LARP. Look for one that does not involve direct combat magic.

If you want to find a good group, its probably the best to just go to a LARP alone and interact with the general population for stories about certain groups and look at how they do things.
Rule of thumb: There is probably a reason for why some groups have good advertisements. Look for the more laid back ones or the very dedicated ones.

>The worst part was all the money I sunk into my costume

I use larping as another excuse to decorate my room with childish stuff.
>>
>>9260787
>Well, it is normal to put newbies in the background and let them follow others around for a bit so that they know the role playing rules so that they dont make any major mistakes to ruin the experience for others.

Maybe for you it is. Why the fuck should new players play second fiddle to experienced players, and to automatically assume they haven't read the rules or can't roleplay.
That's a sure fire way to ensure that you wont have great new player retention.
>>
>>9260799
Nordic larps mate, people get offended all the time by newbie mistakes or people not doing things right.
>>
>>9260799
I definitely agree with this. I help run a weekly larp and we always make sure the newbies get to do cool important things to make sure they actually want to come back.
>>
>>9260812
nordic larps though aren't pro-fun
>>
>>9260814
Fucking this. That weekend, I got into three more combat scenes, the total of which was maybe 2 and and a half hours worth of combat over 2.5 days. None of it was relevant or exciting to me, and I was conatantly getting told that if I want plot I should get noticed by the nobles, because that's who the plot centers around, not us commonfolk.
>>
>>9260787
>>9260799
>>9260921

Honestly I will never understand why people don't just run storylines/encounters for newbies.

My shitty Amerilarp is kind of level-based, but each event has a distinct module set aside so all the low-level characters can run around and feel like important characters for a while. Sure there are still fights and mods that involve the entire player population, but the newbies at least get some time to get a feel for the game before having to try and fight alongside more powerful characters.
>>
File: russian_heresy.jpg (141KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
russian_heresy.jpg
141KB, 564x846px
I want to make a sword sabre-like weapon for an upcoming post-apoc LARP.

A) In case I go for sabre, is there any curved fibreglass or some way to make the sword curved?

B) What should I design it like? If you guys have pictures of postapoc LARP swords that'll be gold.
>>
File: 20160511_183636.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_183636.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
So the hubby wants to play in an old fashioned fantasy game and the closest we found is something called "Rise of the Founders" in north FL.
Anyone got any experiences with them? Kinda wondering what to expect quality and community wise.

(and the greedy part of me is curious if they'd be a potential market)
>>
File: costume.jpg (96KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
costume.jpg
96KB, 500x339px
>>9244789
>>9244811
>>9244822
>>9244824
Well... and -I- am now wanting to make sci fi gear.

>>9247158
That's fucking amazing

>>9251053
That's a pretty cool setup. It's nice to have some specific background, other than just general world building

>>9254350
Spoopy medic
>>
File: tumblr_mymnj6Mz9y1scyrtto7_1280.jpg (67KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mymnj6Mz9y1scyrtto7_1280.jpg
67KB, 1200x800px
>>9261066
spoopy gaming medic
>>
>>9256360
What kind of latex do you use? Paint/brand?
>>
>>9260799
"For a bit" is not the whole event.

The guy's game you're responding to never gave him any agency at all, and is shit. I don't see any problem with having new players stick with an experienced mentor for an hour or two, to learn the ropes.

That said, newbie-only mods like >>9260941 described are definitely better.
>>
>>9261053
>is there any curved fibreglass or some way to make the sword curved?
I'm wondering about that too. I was commissioned for a simple katane-esque boffer, but since the only way I could give it a curve was to make it thicker, it turned out more like a fat saber...
>>
found this gem going through the archives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81WMBR44bs
>>
>>9261356
Oh jesus christ stop that shit
>>
>>9261266
I would assume heat, yes? What is fibreglass's plastization point?

>>9261356
Why would you dredge that crap back up?
>>
>>9261212
well in hungary you can't buy latex locally for a reasonable price, you could say it's pretty much nonexistent for crafting purposes, so we have to order them from other countries. Usually it's from Germany, either Wyvern or Mytholon whichever have a better deal at it in the moment.
For paint, general acrylic paint.

>>9261053
>>9261266
No cuverd fiberglass rods, at least the that it's in a reasonable price range. Maybe you can make it curved at hme but I wouldn't bet on it.
But there is two method that can be used to make it look like curved.
One is fidgeting around with the core. Apart from the method I already posted there is another way to make a core for a weapon. In this method you make the two outer fiberglass longer and the middle one shorter. The tip of the two outer ones are then attached together bended slightly so you get a "sword" shape out of it. If you do it assymetrically you will have one of the edge slightly curved. The problem with this is first of all that the point will be less safe. Secondly the fiberglass will be always at stress, and although it won't break because of this, but it will always try to tear apart from the point where it is attached at the tip. It's not really used because of this.
The other method is cheating with the foam, cutting it out in the curved shape and putting it on the core in an elaborate way, sometimes the back of the blade isn't even in parallel of the core, and usually at some point there is very little foam next to the core, usually close to the handle. The problem with this is again the tip, because usually you need the msot cheating there so the foam will be "free floating" as the core will be kind of far away, so leather hardening is usually put there. But still it will detoriate quicker than other normal swords.
>>
>>9261356

the fuck am I looking at?
>>
>>9261967
The result of Clownfag's kingdom.
>>
>>9261967
Gropey called out an asshat on his bullshit, and triggered him. So he "apologized" with this video.

It went about as well for the guy as you think it would. Gropey tore the fag apart, and people in general already didn't like him.
>>
>>9261367
>>9261266
Fiberglass doesn't plasticize very well. It's essentially a bunch of inelastic siliceous fibers bound by resin. Heating it up and trying to apply a curve/bend destroys and breaks the fibers in the area you're trying to work, ruining its durability. You *could* still bend it, but the resulting rod would be an accident waiting to happen.
Source: amateur research and some very disastrous home experimentation.

>>9261967
An unstoppable sperg meeting an immovable autist.
>>
File: 20161020_033229.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161020_033229.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>9262204
I'm usually using carbon fiber tubes nowadays. I assume they'd suffer much of the same problem?

What other materials would be viable for cores? I might do some experimenting on my own
>>
>>9262204
There is a certain level of sperg required for being a good LARPer. Hungarian and Gropey are just spergy enough to know their shit, but still likeable.

That dude was just an autist. I don't even remember his name.
>>
has anyone else had a trickle of people who come in for the first time, really well-costumed/prepared for the game, and then never come back after their first session?

What's with that?
>>
>>9262321
Sounds like a problem with your game or players.
>>
that black guy is actually a pretty cool dude when hes not talking nonsense on the internet. I recognized him at this last GWW and spoke with him. he is definitely an autist though
>>
>>9262498
>GWW
Whats that?

Knigga was a faggot with no redeeming qualities who tried to bullshit people who frankly know better.
>>
>>9262269
>but still likeable
then again there are a lot of people who would argue that

Also the dude went by the name Knigga I think. While he did told us a few bullshit thing but who doesn't do that on 4chan?
The problem was one gropey called out him on a few things and suddenly a whole circus of gangbanger joined him virtually. It's hard to keep your cool when literally every faggot in a thread tries to on-up each other on edgyness in how to tell you to get the fuck off.
>>
>>9262532
>then again there are a lot of people who would argue that
Awww. I tolerate you, slav-kun <3. You're my second favorite Larptrip

>gropey called out
>a whole circus of gangbanger
lol
>>
>>9262537
the only problem with that that I'm technically neither a slav nor a tripfag
>>
>>9262541
honorary slav, though.
>>
File: DSC03840.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03840.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>9262551
besides the point, what happens at larp conventions stays in the larp conventions
>>
>>9262553
>Heel not touching the ground.

Western spy confirmed.
>>
>>9262541
I have it on very good authority that you indeed are being of Slavic.
>>
File: 1471550114539.png (107KB, 1600x660px) Image search: [Google]
1471550114539.png
107KB, 1600x660px
>>9262690
>hungarian
>slavic

lol ok
>>
>>9262690
your authority is shit and is not recognized in fort kickass
>>
>>9262693
>thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>9262532
tldr Knigga acted like a retard, Gropey responded, as usual, in a curmudgeonly fashion, anons started falling all over themselves to defend or attack them, and bad feelings were had all around.
>>
>>9262236
Carbon fiber is largely the same material structure, just with different stuff inside. Any composite fiber like that is going to suffer from the same issues. The same properties that make carbon fiber and fiberglass so good for cores also means that they don't take a set.
As for other core materials, you could fuck around with ABS/PVC like the LARPers of yore, but be prepared for some chunky swords if you do that.
Honestly, just grab scraps of materials you think could work and put them through their paces. This hobby is pretty reliant on people just throwing their hands up and trying new shit.

>>9262321
Re-enactors or SCA types who wanna try their hand at LARP?

>>9262532
Honestly yeah the Clownfag circlejerk came out in force, and I'm glad that we can treat Gropey as something less than an absolute authority these days.
That being said, Knigga fucked up bad because he tried to struggle. Threads like this tend to focus on a few key personalities, and arguing with one will draw everyone's ire.
>>
>>9262947
I might try simply casting a curved rod with high impact resin...
It would increase the price tag a good bit, but hey, some things are just more expensive than others.
>>
>>9262960
>high impact resin
You absolute madman.
If you decide to do it, plz do let us know how it turns out.
>>
>>9262930
>anons started falling all over themselves to defend or attack them
>Clownfag circlejerk came out in force

Not defending clownbro, but matter your feelings for namefags, there is something to be said about folks like Hungarian and Gropey. They get those little cults of personality because they share knowledge, skills and resources, and most of all make themselves available to meet and hang IRL.

Knigga was just a jumped up asshole with a lot of costume armor talking big game without anything to back it up. When called out, he got butthurt.
>>
>>9263007
meh, I was never fan of personal cults. I rather just argue people and throw obscenities at them without having to worry about their feelings.

And as I said, while knigga didn't had a good start he actually apologized after the whole thing but the random faggots still attacked him after that. On one hand I understand that this is 4chan and part of the site's culture, but on the other hand, that's something that wouldn't really happened back on /tg/

>>9262947
>you could fuck around with ABS/PVC like the LARPers of yore,
Those are better for shields. Actually they are very good for shields. Maybe a lantern shield, or katar or a hungarian shield or something along that line could be made from that but those materials are pretty meh for sword like objects
>>
>>9263017
>he actually apologized after the whole thing
No, he didn't really. Your English is better than most Amerifats, but his "apologies" were straight up unapologies.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=unapology
>>
>>9263017
>that's something that wouldn't really happened back on /tg/
Step into a Pathfinder discussion thread. /tg/ makes the drama threads here look civilized.
>>
>>9263035
edition wars are totally different and doesn't count. And while there are hostility on /tg/ it's the not personal one. With a few exceptions like against Virt and such but those people work hard for that fame.

>>9263027
Maybe I'm just naive but sometimes I like to think that people are just clinically retarded instead of straight up trolling / lying. Anyway if someone is already on the defensive and tries to get the conversation back on the normal course AND he didn't fucked my dog and run over my wife then I probably let it slide.
>>
>>9263043
Eh, I don't have anything against Knigga either, and I do think he was just a turbo-autist and not a bad guy. But talking about just the video, his apology really didn't sound sincere. I think he didn't wait long enough after the incident, and was still feeling hurt, and so it came out more like "I'm sorry you got offended" instead of "I'm sorry I was dumb."
>>
>>9263216
>his apology really didn't sound sincere. I think he didn't wait long enough after the incident, and was still feeling hurt, and so it came out more like "I'm sorry you got offended" instead of "I'm sorry I was dumb."

Fucking called that shit in either that thread or the thread right after it about how people would never accept Knigga's apology because of some stupid arbitrary bullshit. Never change larpthread.
>>
>>9263236
Hi Knigga.
>>
Anyone have any good post-apocalyptic characters?
>>
File: ZwartePiet.jpg (29KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
ZwartePiet.jpg
29KB, 333x500px
>>9263679
>characters
You mean like... examples of characters, right?

So, guys, ignoring the blackface for a second. Going by late medieval fantasy standards, just how much of a Black Pete costume do you think I could use for my character? Because it might just be me, but the costume seems like a pretty good basis.
Which is kind of weird, since most families here have atleast one of these things laying around.
>>
>>9263765
Unrelated but thanks for reminding me about why I grew up terrified of Christmas.
>>
>>9263765
Most costumes people would have lying around are shitty polyester ones. I'm pretty sure that for the price of a quality Black Pete costume, you could buy a quality <any other style> costume, which has the added benefit of not looking like someone who decided to show up in a Black Pete costume.

All in all, it's possible but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
File: 1470759480473.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
1470759480473.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
Anyone know of a playing cards deck that is available for sale under 30€ and fits within a high fantasy setting?

Not necessarily containing non-human motives and such, and preferably safe for work since its a christmas gift. I tried google/ebay and stuff for 20 minutes now and the closest I could find was some antique spanish cards for 80€, and it had to many things related to real life to be approvable.

And in case pic related isn't home made, source?
>>
>>9264113
>Anyone know of a playing cards deck that is available for sale under 30€ and fits within a high fantasy setting?
I might have what you wa...
>and preferably safe for work since its a christmas gift.
sorry out of luck

>And in case pic related isn't home made, source?
It was made by a girl I know who went with me to Drachenfest, and the cards aren't even playing cards.
While he would probably make a custom deck it would probably won't be finished until christmas and also would be more expensive than 30 eur
>>
>this thread
Holy christ, /larpthread/...

>>9263765
What do you mean? Zwart Peter isnt in a uniform of any sort, just Tudor era clothes.

>>9263814
I grew up with my family swapping spinster aunts with our neighbors, who would then dress up like witches, get drunk on grappa, and come to our house to beat us with a broom. Merry christmas!

>>9264113
Uhhhh... I can link you to several decks period playing cards under $10. Or you could just use a tarrot deck, which is what the modern suit deck decends from historically. If you remove the major arcana, you are left with 4 suits of 10, with three courtiers.
>>
>>9264143
>What do you mean? Zwart Peter isnt in a uniform of any sort, just Tudor era clothes.
actually in hungary Black Peter is illustrated as a chimney sweeper. Sometimes has a devil tail and kind of related to the krampus
>>
>>9264143
My grandparents always told me that if I was naughty, Zwarte Piet would stuff me into a burlap sack and take me back to be a slave in Sinterklaas' workshop.
Other kids got threatened with coal, I got told that a moor was going to break into my house and kidnap me.
>>
>>9264124
>I might have what you wa...
>>and preferably safe for work since its a christmas gift.
>sorry out of luck

well, fuck...

you know what, I'll take an extra look in to nsfw items any way. my mother had plenty of nude stuff in her antique art shop anyway she shouldn't get upset by it.

>>9264143
>Uhhhh... I can link you to several decks period playing cards under $10

that sounds good, I don't want to give away a tarrot deck since that would just encourage the amateur oracles in my family to reopen their hobbies

link please
>>
>>9264220
proper parenting if you ask me
>>
Commissioning a local blacksmith to make me a breastplate. It's a half-breast and back. He quoted me 250-275 maple bucks, using 16 gauge mild steel.
16 gauge is plenty thick, so I'm not worried about it from that perspective. Anything I should be worried about? I don't have a ton of knowledge about metal but from what I've gathered mild steel will be fine for Larp.
>>
>>9264285
>It's a half-breast and back
what is a half-breast armour?
>>
File: il_570xN.674977132_fc6l.jpg (105KB, 505x600px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.674977132_fc6l.jpg
105KB, 505x600px
>>9264288
Effectively this. The design I'm getting has a gorget type thing also attached to it
>>
>>9264285
Keep that shit oiled.
Seriously, oil it literally every time you use it, or it WILL rust.

Also I'm sure you know all of this already, but make sure you mount it properly and wear padding underneath. If I have to read another beleaguered forum post about how plate is *so uncomfortable* from someone who couldn't even be bothered to get some cheap craft store quilting I am going to lose my shit.
>>
>>9264296
I've worn plate before. Gambeson #1
will look into what oil to get and lube up.
>>
>>9264295
well if it has an integrated gorget and a backplate and it's at least decent quality that it will probably a good buy. That is if will really fit you and all that stuff.
>>
File: 20161122_191043.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_191043.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
So what's everyone's opinion on very simple, fabric covered boffers like this?

A lot of people at our local LARP requested what's basically function-over-form boffers. Something that's extremely light and easy to handle. Also cheap.
So this is what I came up with. Carbon fiber core, ultra light camp map foam, covered in stretchy fabric. All shaped and colored to at least make it look like a cartoony blade.

Decent compromise, or nasty immersion breaker?
They sold like hot cakes, but I'm wondering if I can improve them somehow. The ones in the pic were dagger sized. I also made sword sized ones with a longer blade and hilt, but forgot to take pics...
>>
>>9264484
Whats the point of larp, if not looking good?
Form over function every time.

That being said, they look better than dick swords and 90% of duct tape weapons so its at least an improvement on that.

I understand that everyone cannot afford latex weapons. They are a good compromise for that.
>>
File: 20160518_220517.jpg (842KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160518_220517.jpg
842KB, 2560x1920px
>>9264493
>Form over function every time.
I feel like that's more of a rule for cosplay. What good is the best looking LARP gear if it breaks apart when sneezing too hard.
I always tried to have a good middle way between looking awesome and performing well.

>I understand that everyone cannot afford latex weapons. They are a good compromise for that
Yeah that's what I was thinking... For newcomers, or people who simply have not much money, this kind of stuff, while not passing the 5 feet rule, are at least not pool noodles...
Thx on your input!
>>
File: black peter.jpg (151KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
black peter.jpg
151KB, 1600x1200px
>>9264168
Yup. Lots of people use devil-like Peters. Pic related is my first image of him as a kid. We also get a good handful of Black Peters, Belschnikels and Father Whips at our local Krampusnacht parade in Richmond.

Never any blackface Peters though. They would probably get shot.

>>9264220
La Befana comes after christmas, on Epiphany, going door to door looking for the wise men and christ child. If she finds bad kids, she stuff them in her bulap sack, and beats them with her broom.

>>9264241
http://historicgames.com/xcart/period_playing_cards

Though I have no idea why you'd have a problem with people reading tarot. You can tell fortunes with a suit deck just the same.

>>9264271
Amen

>>9264285
>>9264295
A blacksmith or and armour smith? Big difference. Whos the armourer?

>>9264296
Or paint, blue, russet, blacken it....

>>9264484
Holy shit, that looks amazing for the stupid american requirements that people push. Had I the funds on hand, I'd commission one, as its all anyone uses around here.
>>
>>9264499
>Holy shit, that looks amazing for the stupid american requirements that people push. Had I the funds on hand, I'd commission one, as its all anyone uses around here.
Not entirely sure if sarcasm, but thank you nonetheless!
>>
File: 25-whole-sword.jpg (143KB, 640x247px) Image search: [Google]
25-whole-sword.jpg
143KB, 640x247px
>>9264502
Not sarcasm. The vast majority of US games use fabric and campfoam boffers because they are thought to be safer. Finding the happy medium between those foolish rules and not looking like shit is something that greatly interests me. Pic is a goal of mine.

Sadly, hiltless dickbats with maximum handle length is the meta here, even though I have been showing people how useful quillions are....
>>
File: mace.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mace.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>>9264526
Aaaand, my next purchase eventually.
>>
Who's the fittest person in your LARP?

How much does the person you know is lying through their teeth say they work out?
>>
>>9264484
I'm more okay with fabric-covered boffers than most people here, I think. As long as there's a clear attempt to make them look sword-like, as opposed to the Gorg foam paddles--or dickbats, to borrow Gropey's term--I'm fine with them.

For instance, that you actually gave yours a blade shape and pommel is good. The only further suggestion I would make would be to add something approximating a hilt. Not necessarily actual quillons, since I know a lot of (very silly) larpers think those are dangerous, but maybe something like a raised bit around the base of the blade.
>>
File: 20161122_231500.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_231500.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>9264648
HA! Found the one I made for my room mate's GF.
This is the sword sized version that I made. I agree, they look A LOT better with some sort of hilt.
It''s made from EV foam, so unless you have the pussiest rule set ever, it should not pose any "danger"
>>
>>9264657
On another note: A lot of people requested completely black boffers like this, because they are harder to spot at night.
I know, blackened steel is a thing, but this still feels pretty shady (haha) to me.
>>
>>9264484
>So what's everyone's opinion on very simple, fabric covered boffers like this?
personally I don't like them but they would be okay if not for
>Something that's extremely light and easy to handle
This way they are basically just ultralights which is objectively the wrong way to larp. This is what will make people fight like drummers.
>>
File: img_1437_24275456713_o.jpg (1MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
img_1437_24275456713_o.jpg
1MB, 5472x3648px
>>9264643
We have three guys for that position.

This is one of them although he could be considered less fit for the sole reason that when he was a kid he broke his back, so since then he has serious back problems and for that reasons he can't wear any heavy armour, but started doing HEMA with us regardless.
Fuck knows how much he trains
>>
File: img_1760_24534808999_o.jpg (2MB, 3504x5256px) Image search: [Google]
img_1760_24534808999_o.jpg
2MB, 3504x5256px
>>9264876
Then there is this guy, he did hema and reenacting for more than a decade, nearly went to BotN but life happened, so since then he sold of most of his reenactor gear (although his armour did went to BotN, with the Austrian team if I remember correctly a few years ago)
Seen him once grab an esshole by the throat and smash him to a tree and holding the guy above the ground a few inches while he slowly trieded to explain a few important things to the idiot
>>
File: img_1411_24902341965_o.jpg (2MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
img_1411_24902341965_o.jpg
2MB, 3648x5472px
>>9264883
And the third guy is also doing hema and reenactment although he is still active. And he is doing gladiator reenactment.

Anyway all of them are surprisingly fast, and good at swordfighting among other things.
>>
>>9240492
Hey guys, I'm in a combat larp, and having a go at making my own shield. Right now, it's basically a wooden shape. I want to make it a punch shield, but I have no clue how to fashion a handle, or how to attach it, and have it still relatively strong, since it'll be taking a fuckload of damage, and it's fairly large.
>>
>>9264989
>it's basically a wooden shape
> I want to make it a punch shield
>and it's fairly large.
could you use SI measurements and stuff?
But otherwise I would just say to screw a piece of wood on it, make it comfortable and done
>>
File: IMG_20161124_001901.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_001901.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>9264996
>>9264989
Shit, sorry man. Didn't mean to be vague. Pic related is the shape right now. Ignore the holes; I fucked up, and I'm probably gonna cover the shield in some sort of material to cover them. I have some leather-ish looking vinyl.

About 45-50 cm wide at its widest point, and around 70-80 long. I can't remember exact measurements but I can probably find out.

It's 7ml plywood, so not too heavy.

I intend to cover the face with some sort of material so it looks less shit, then cover the edges with foam pipe insulation.

Basically I want instructions on exactly how to make a punch grip handle for this shield which won't break easily. I have some additional wood and a broomstick lying around, if that helps.
>>
>>9265011
it's not the vagueness but that confronting information that bothers me.

Also when you said punching shield I thought you want a buckler but from the pic I see that's not the case.

Two things.
First of all, I obviously don't know what YOU mean by punch grip so need a little confirmation: is it a one or two point grip? Like, do you want it to attached to your arm on one (at the hand) or two points (and and lower arm)?

Second: I wouldn't recommend vinly, Try to use some kind of canvas either in a plain color or get someone who can paint something on it. It will look way better.
>>
>>9264873
>This way they are basically just ultralights which is objectively the wrong way to larp. This is what will make people fight like drummers.
Amerilarpers gonna amerilarp?
>>
>>9265229
sadly...
Anyway, keep up the good work, you are one of the shining beacons in an ocean of shit.
>>
>>9264643
Define fittest
Strength? There's a dude who can dead at least 500 lbs (funnily, he plays a scribe with little combat)
Endurance/speed? Probably me. I run a fuck ton, and have beaten most the larp in a foot race
Regularly out run people in full plate
>>
>>9264498
When I said form over function, I don't mean to abandon function
just making it look good should be priority

it goes to the combat drumming, instead of flourishes or interesting cool combat.
people who take hits and don't even flinch
Amerilarp( or maybe just my larp) just frustrates me with the lack of style
>>
Anyone know how you'd go about making a cape like this?
>>
>>9265963
That looks more like a shrug or a scarf. Literally a rectangle of fabric draped across the chest then over the shoulder.
>>
>>9264657
The argument I get a lot about quillons is that even if they're soft, they can still get in somebody's eye and blind them. Which I know is like a million to one chance, even less if the fighters actually know what they're doing--but my game has unusually non-retarded rules for an Amerilarp, so I guess we need to make up for that somewhere.
>>
>>9264484
>So what's everyone's opinion on very simple, fabric covered boffers like this?
They're kind of just the unfortunate reality of LARP. Not everyone trusts latex weapons, and even those who do can't really afford to outfit their character with them on the regular. For a lot of people around my local game, it's a choice between having nice armor/costuming, or a nice weapon.
Personally, I don't really have an issue with them as long as they're still stylish. Flatblades with minimal hilts are fine by me, and extremely cheap to boot. The one on the left in this post is actually excellent: at first glance I would be hard pressed to determine it from a generic latex boffer.
Where it gets bad is when people intentionally try to metagame with their weapons, ie: ultralight dickbats with no aesthetic value.

>>9266197
I have people at my local game use this argument all the time. The irony of regularly wading out into the field and whipping eyeball-sized birdseed packets around after saying this shit is lost on them, I think.
>>
>>9266197
>The argument I get a lot about quillons is that even if they're soft, they can still get in somebody's eye and blind them.

The thing about larpers on larps that they can still get in somebody's eye and blind them.
US larps should ban larpers from their larps.
>>
>>9266792
All fingers must be amputated in order to meet eye poking safety regulations.

Blind Larpers are immune to critical damage.
>>
>>9266792
>>9266819
Sounds like a plan to me! After all, we can't make all those larpers without fingers feel bad. That would be ableist.
>>
>>9267106
>That would be ableist.

Reminds me of a story where, essentially, we had to bring an artifact that multiple factions were fighting over for back from a dungeon for super-important plot reasons. It was pretty much the hotspot of the event, so, in the middle of everyone fighting over it, our group managed to open up a hole in the mass of combat, had the guy holding it just book it. Said guy was a rookie mage who had used up all his spells, and despite the chase given to him, the fact that he was a long and limber dude with no weapons or armor made him super-hard to catch.

Cue cries of it being unfair, and that it was unfair that some level 1 rookie could outrun these level 15-20 characters who were supposedly the peak of paragon fitness (aka could call out big numbers when swinging.) The refs retconned back, and told him that suddenly the artifact grew really heavy, and now he could only stagger around.

He died instantly, and as per usual, the faction with all the high-powered, high-level snooty super-noble characters took it and won.

Fuck Amerilarps, man. Fuck these D&D levelling systems, fuck larp groups where you have to be nice to the nobles or you don't get any plot. Seriously, if you don't bend down and suck up to the PC characters who are the nobles in the setting, you get nothing. The plot team centers the entire group's stories for the events around said nobles who get it because of 'muh seniority', so of course, if you're not with them, all you get are the generic scraps floating around that don't have any importance to plot.
>>
Are there LARP companies in the US? I mean companies that actually run LARPS professionally for profit?

I know there are a lot of Non-Profit companies but it seems like someone somewhere would have tried to have a professional attempt at it.
>>
>>9267567
>I mean companies that actually run LARPS professionally for profit?
most of them. That's why they are shit. because they professionally make shit
>>
>>9267457
I keep hearing stories like this. If such ever happened new me, I'd stop everything and laugh at the refs, then proceed to ignore them.
>>
>>9267741
I think it's all part of getting sucked into the atmosphere. The newbie guides will often talk about how it's a living, breathing world, and how immersive it is to work your way up from some nobody to being a kind-of somebody that the nobles know. Also, how it makes sense that plot doesn't want to spend any time on newbies who might not come back, versus folks who have proven themselves to be a constant member of the community.

Jesus, that LARP was bad. Funny how shitposting on an thai cheesemaking forum can give a new perspective.
>>
File: rincewind stamp.jpg (60KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
rincewind stamp.jpg
60KB, 400x403px
>>9267457
>Scrawny wizard with no magic being able to outrun mighty warriors
>not just waving it off as a reference to Rincewind
But for real though. All the more reason to treasure the rare Amerilarp where they use the "if you can do it IRL, you can do it in the game" principle.

>>9267582
Sadly, the easiest way to make a profit off of larp here in the States is to pander to the people who are willing to throw the most money at it. And that leads to the shit we were just talking about where the plot revolves around powerful nobles the PCs can't touch.

The best US larps, in my experience, are labors of love run by their creators on the weekends between their normal jobs.
>>
>>9267567
Kind of. I don't know if they count as companies per say, but most games around these parts are for profit. Much of the money that they get goes into paying rental fees for parks/cabins, but to be completely honest I have no fucking clue where the money goes in some of the games around here.

>>9267457
>>9267845
Every 'Be All You Can't Be' game spins this shit to new players and it's fucking infuriating. Aside from the occasional tiff in on of the high-level cliques, there is never any player conflict because the gulf in power between the high-level players and everyone else is insane.
'Living world' my ass.

Do yourself a favor and skip the bigger games if you want to play a plot-heavy LARP. Smaller, locally-run games will arguably be able to get you in on the fun without having to play suck-up. Also, they need your money.
>>
>>9268090
>tfw when my local Alliance larp is run by a guy who quit his job to run it full time.

Wow, no wonder it went to shit. I remember seeing a guy there, must have been his first event, and as the weekend went on, the enthusiasm on his face slowly dwindled. Last I heard, he went to bed early saturday night, and left early saturday morning.

I think I may have seen him post once or twice in here too. Sorry, man. If it's any consolation, that group kind of sucked.
>>
How do you post-apocalyptic, /cgl/?
>>
File: Clarkson.jpg (475KB, 599x873px) Image search: [Google]
Clarkson.jpg
475KB, 599x873px
>>9244810
>>
>>9267457
This would make me quit that larp. The whole point is mages have very light clothing so they can move their hands intricately to cast spells. Why would that mean they can't run fast? That makes perfect sense, that's amazing. That would be such a cool story.

Just write bad reviews for them, tell your friends they suck and then never look back.
>>
File: 1463922752301.jpg (46KB, 790x768px) Image search: [Google]
1463922752301.jpg
46KB, 790x768px
>>9268610
>>
>>9268458
Step 1: acquire flannel shirt
Step 2: burn holes in flannel shirt
Step 3: nerf guns.

>>9268347
I'm not saying that there's a connection between money-grubbing and how shit a game is, but yeah I'm definitely saying that actually.
Also thanks for name-dropping Alliance so we can get that shit out in the open. I know some chapters actually have their shit together, but god damn. I stuck around my local chapter as an NPC for a few events just to get my bearings for the game before actually rolling a PC, and the amount of pandering Plot does for the old-timers is insane.

Also anyone around here from the PNW? I've heard good shit about Spite lately and I wanna know if it's any good.
>>
File: 2016-10-24 11.26.11.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-24 11.26.11.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>9268458
Getting into the right mindset is a big help in putting together post apoc gear.
Always think convenience and function over everything else.
If it doesn't help you survive, it's usually a hindrance.

Useful things are used up until they literally fall apart and replacements are hard to find, let alone make.
Sturdy materials like leather, thick denim and other coarse fabrics should be the primary components of clothing. Anything thin and elegant has long since rotten away, or was ripped into lint.
As for gear, imagine going hiking. Can you walk for hours and get over obstacles with your gear? Is it comfortable enough to not make your entire body hurt after you do that for a day?

Once you have the basic stuff down, get a hole saw set and rip all stress points up a bit. Rub in (clean) earth of different shades into your clothing and seal it with clear coat for extra grime.
Try to think of different ways to use everyday objects. That seat belt your char found is completely useless for it's intended purpose, but it makes a sweet quick release lanyard.
The self healing cutting mat you found in an old school house makes for surprisingly good armor. etc...

Add ridiculous shit, depending on how tongue-in-check your setting is and you should be golden
>>
>>9269367
I fukken love post apocalyptic shit!
>>
>>9269321
People say Alliance Denver is great.

People who say that have probably been with Alliance Denver for a long time.

Put the two together.
>>
Whew lads welcome to AmeriLarps where you can't use pictures that are bad :^)
>>
>>9269611
>constructive or positive
that's so big of a red flag for me that I heard people singing the soviet hymn in the distance
>>
>>9268753
Someone should create a site like Yelp, but for larps. A way to peer review games, leave detailed critiques, stuff like that.

And then actually keep it up to date, unlike the larping.org list.
>>
>>9270679
Problem is, at least here in the US, you'll get active sabotage from intergroup rivalry, and counter trolling to that.

What would be done to keep it impartial to a point? Yelp manages to stay fairly impartial by requiring social media connection and public identity.
>>
>>9270836
that and most larpers won't write on it, most larp won't even be on the site, because a lot of larp doesn't want to be aviable for everyone but only for their target audience which might be very narrow
>>
File: YOU DIED.jpg (22KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
YOU DIED.jpg
22KB, 360x480px
Pulled something in my back while trudging through the woods drunk. RIP me
>>
>>9271178
F
>>
File: none_at_all.jpg (445KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
none_at_all.jpg
445KB, 960x640px
>>9271178
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480244922098.jpg (36KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480244922098.jpg
36KB, 540x960px
Is this thread a good place to ask for outfit design ideas and advice or will I get mocked for being a newb?
>>
>>9271198
everyone does it so no problem there. You will get mocked only if you are vague as fuck and doesn't give us enough pointers to work with
>>
>>9271198
Ask away, there is a good mix of experience of how to make/where to buy decent kit and historical knowledge if you want to base an outfit on a particular time period or culture.

Good kit is a key ingredient for good larping.
>>
>>9271186
It's fine, I got better.
>>
>>9271203
>>9271204
Good.
Basically it's in a post-apoc setting. My character was, in the past, a part of a group whose job is to get you shit you want from the wasteland, then became the bodyguard of one of the wealthiest men in the land. Attitude-wise he's gonna be sorta flamboyant and cocky and all.
I thought of something like a rekt blazer over some armour (ideas are welcome) as a base but so far it feels kinda bland. Any ideas, references and photos are welcome
>>
File: 20160830_192722.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_192722.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>9271220
I already gave some very basic tips here in case you missed them
>>9269367
>>
>>9271208
noice
>>
>>9271220
If he's cocky and useful, having some kind of name badge wouldn't be so awful. Maybe something like the judge badges in Judge Dredd or just an arm badge. Kind of a "don't you know who I am" idea with that.
>>
>>9271220
you need a tactical sandal holster. If you get a pair then you have one knee protector too.

Apart from that obviously you need "armour" but think about it in a way that not necessearily protects from bullets or machates or such. Get stuff that protects you from cuts and scratches while salvaging stuff or when you are outside in the wasteland.
some basic tools could be useful too, and try to make everything at home preferably from junk.

A hat/headware is always the most important thing style wise
>>
>>9271264
Totally stealing that sandal holster thing.
What headwear should I go for?
And my clothing will be thick enough to protect from cuts but I need body armour stuff to put under the suit
>>
>>9271220
Between a rich boss, and having a background in bespoke scavenging, it sounds like your character would have excellent access to whatever passes for good quality gear. A flamboyant mercenary would splurge on looking good.

>>9271250
>>9271264
>>9271284

Tactical gear in almost good condition, but with little luxury accessories.Maybe some nice sunglasses, a duster thats only a bit mucky, a brightly coloured shemagh to add a bit of style. If your character smokes then a scavenged cigarrete case, or a fancy lighter. Small touches to liven up the wasteland ensemble.

A custom name badge or patch for an armband or beret would look good, and a beret fits the stylish paramilitary vibe.
>>
>>9271284
anything you fancy. just make it look like it's used and not pristine new. Same with everything else. It doesn't have to be dirty if there is a little civilization and water for cleaning stuff but a little wear and tear goes a long way in how you look.
>>
>>9271241
Thanks anon!
>>
File: 4da85c419c28224fa874e9fb244388ae.jpg (180KB, 600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4da85c419c28224fa874e9fb244388ae.jpg
180KB, 600x1600px
Content!
>>
!
>>
!!
>>
!!!
>>
!!!!
>>
File: tumblr_nhitrsZuW81sych8oo1_500.jpg (117KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhitrsZuW81sych8oo1_500.jpg
117KB, 500x750px
!!!!!
>>
File: tumblr_ncu59qTREk1ro785bo3_1280.jpg (74KB, 641x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ncu59qTREk1ro785bo3_1280.jpg
74KB, 641x960px
!!!!!!
>>
!!!!!!!
>>
File: tumblr_naafx8oqvz1rqq8qeo1_1280.jpg (116KB, 543x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_naafx8oqvz1rqq8qeo1_1280.jpg
116KB, 543x960px
!!!!!!!!

>tfw never had a qt larpfu

End of mini dump.
>>
File: 1394672041048.jpg (141KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1394672041048.jpg
141KB, 480x640px
>>9261073
>>
File: what.gif (970KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
970KB, 500x213px
>>9272100
>>
File: plague21.jpg (34KB, 396x576px) Image search: [Google]
plague21.jpg
34KB, 396x576px
>>9272101
>>
File: 1394681906154.jpg (84KB, 598x400px) Image search: [Google]
1394681906154.jpg
84KB, 598x400px
>>9272105
>>
File: cowol.jpg (53KB, 736x920px) Image search: [Google]
cowol.jpg
53KB, 736x920px
>>9272107
>>
>>9272092
!!!!11!!!one!!! lim x->0 (sin x)/x !!!!
>>
>>9271950
y-yoo too
>>
>>9271264
dat ass
>>
>>9272100
I'm REALLY liking this one.
>>
File: 20160824_211155.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160824_211155.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
In other news: Does anyone have a good idea on how to reinforce a resin cast mask like this?

My room mate bought this one as a blank and I painted and finished it up for him, the problem is just that it's intended to be more of a cosplay, or photo shoot mask, not really something you wear during a physically intense LARP.
The plastic is somewhat brittle and it already cracked once (I was able to fix it).

What could I add on it's inside that makes it more resilient, without causing too much bulk?
>>
>>9272493
some kind of durable textile and probably wood glue
>>
File: 20160823_155801.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_155801.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>>9272582
I like the idea of lining it with some sort of fabric, since I'm plenty familiar with that stuff, but I'd have to use something other than wood glue... it wont stick well to the resin of the mask. Maybe simple PVA glue would work. Gotta do some experiments I guess
>>
>>9272585
the stuff then contact cement then textile then wood glue?
>>
>>9272589
also if you can only strengthen the inside than that won't stop it from cracking, it just stops it from falling apart completely
>>
>>9272589
That might work actually, thx
>>9272592
And yeah. They idea is mostly that it wont just fucking explode when hit by something, flying resin shrapnel everywhere.
As long as I have all the parts, I can repair it too
>>
Don't know where else to ask, but what's a good resource for looking up 2-5th century Celtic clothing
>>
File: veratrix.jpg (59KB, 393x699px) Image search: [Google]
veratrix.jpg
59KB, 393x699px
Hey hey nerds.

>>9272612
Do you mean Gauls, Iberians or Anglo-gaelics? For the most part, its pretty simple: Most important is the plaid pajama like trousers with a high waist (bracea), which are as much an essential staple as their torcs. For upper body, simple short tunics with slim long sleeves, as well as simple rectangular cloaks for all of them. Anglo-Gaelics also worse long tunics that reached below their knees.

http://ironage-history.com/brigantia/kit_clothing.htm

I used to Gaulish in the same period. Its a lot of fun and quite interesting.
>>
>>9272493
A fiberglass resin/bondo mixture can make just about anything practically invincible. I think the mix is generally called Rondo in cosplay circles.
I used some to shore up a simple papercraft chest piece a few years back. I added a lot more coats than necessary, but by the end of the process that thing could support my full weight and then some.
>>
>>9273425
oooh that sounds interesting. googling that now. I have both resin and bondo at hand
>>
>>9272691
Did you recently order makeup on amazon?
>>
>>9273459
No. Why?
>>
File: 20161201_151105.jpg (823KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_151105.jpg
823KB, 2560x1920px
I just made a thing.
>>
File: 20161201_151345.jpg (833KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_151345.jpg
833KB, 2560x1920px
>>9273567
Idea here was to make a very sturdy sketchbook that you can roll over in full gear and it's still fine.
Gotta fine tune the design a bit, but I like it so far.
A must have for every christian monk to use as an improvised weapon against the viking hordes.
>>
>>9273570
>>9273567
Very nice!

Also, a related question for anyone who feels like answering: I wanna roll up a traveling naturalist, kinda like a David Douglas type, and I want to be able to sketch plants and wildlife wherever I go.
I just don't want to have to do that with ink, so I'm wondering if it's unreasonable to have pencils, or graphite sticks if that's a no go.
Character's supposed to be 15-16th century, but it's a fantasy setting, so I suppose there's some leeway there.
>>
File: leonardo-horse-drawing.png (621KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-horse-drawing.png
621KB, 640x641px
>>9273590
Lead an charcoal pencils have been around since the Roman empire. Wood cored pencils make the scene in 1550-60. Graphite pops up in the 1580's.

All of the great Renaissance masters loved charcoal, lead and graphite for sketching. You ever heard of DaVinci? Go forth and draw.
>>
>>9273590
Thx!

Charcoal drawings have been around for centuries and can be insanely detailed, if you know what you are doing.
Also getting artist's charcoal is no problem at all and reasonably cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Langnickel-Small-Charcoal-Drawing/dp/B00314DBWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480629467&sr=8-2&keywords=charcoal+pencils
>>
File: 61MZ77zdmeL._SL1491_.jpg (113KB, 1491x1491px) Image search: [Google]
61MZ77zdmeL._SL1491_.jpg
113KB, 1491x1491px
>>9273590
Here is the one my girlfriend uses to sketch her illuminations. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gessner-MEDIEVAL-original-PRECIOUS-GERMANY/dp/B002NU14EG
>>9273599
Don't forget, non-rubber gum erasers have been around since the 9thC.
>>
>>9273530
Work at amazon, and yesterday packed an order full of face makeup/paints. Would have been some coincidence if it was you.
>>
>>9273623
Cool. I wouldn't buy makeup from Amazon. I get it wholesale from clownsupply.com or direct from the manufacturer.

I am debating on buying a little something though... Any coupon codes you could slide me, as your favorite shameless douchebag clown?
>>
>>9273674
If I did, I'd be using them and sharing them. Sorry.
>>
What is the most unusual weapon you ever seen in a LARP?
>>
File: trippple scythe.jpg (101KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
trippple scythe.jpg
101KB, 800x535px
>>9273708
Worth a shot, just saw something larp/history for *me* durring my christmas shopping, but can't justify it when I have other people to shop for right now.

>>9273782
meta: All the minmaxing fucktards who use a max handle/blade length ultralight dickbat boffer, and hold it by the pommel to get maximum reach in touch-games.

In game: in person, a rat flail, made with a plushy rat. In a pic, PIC RELATED
>>
>>9273782
There's that actual dicksword that gets posted around here sometimes.
In person, though, it's gotta be purpose-built Dagorhir boffers. They look like someone gift-wrapped a fucking kayak paddle.
Honorable mention to the person using a giant teddy bear to represent a boulder at my last game tho.
>>
File: DSC02244.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02244.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>9273782
whatever the fuck was this. The end part also moved backward and forward with the help of a little motor
>>
>>9274120
Finally, a weapon to surpass metal gear/your mother's dildo.

>>9273782
I'd have to say a sort of massive spiked mace based on a Japanese design. Thing was terrifying, mainly because all I had at the time was a little wooden club.
>>
>>9262321
They saw your game and thought it was shit what's not to get?
>>
also there is a new thread for those who missed it

>>9274790

>>9274790
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 104

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.