[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Original Character cosplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1884.png (72KB, 950x450px) Image search: [Google]
1884.png
72KB, 950x450px
What are your opinions on OC cosplay? Would you do it? Have you done it? What do you say if someone asks who your character is (or confuses you for another character)? Do you have (or have you seen) any nice looking OCs you'd like to cosplay?

For the record, I'm talking about visually appealing OCs from original material, not horrible DA abominations like pic related, closet/plainclothes cosplay, or wearing a uniform from an existing title and calling it an OC (like people did with AoT).
>>
I did a Star Wars OC, which I know people do all the time for Jedi and Sith and whatnot.

I wanted to make a spacer/fringer kinda alien dude so I could chill in the background of fanfilms and not obviously be some already established character from in Star Wars.

Meh results. All I got were Han shooting first jokes every hour on the hour because they thought I was trying to be Greedo.

DESU, OC characters only work if you're shooting for something vague like "this is my steampunk character" or "this is my meme superhero gag".
>>
Generally, I'd consider OC cosplay to be more in line with LARP/Historical Costuming than cosplay. To me, cosplay is about showing love for a particular series or character, and if I see you and don't know who your character is, I probably won't say anything to you about your costume.
>>
>>9239006
I find it pretty cringey, most times. Especially when it's like an anime or pony OC, because then it just looks like an excuse for autists to be an even more autistic alter ego of sorts. Plus, cosplay is meant for portraying a particular character and to be recognizable.
>>
OP here again to bump this.

I'm a cosplayer, but also a writer. I've considered cosplaying some of my characters just for the hell of it, but I'm a bit worried about people approaching me asking who I am and feeling like a masturbatory douche by responding "Oh, it's a character from something I wrote."

>>9239389
I agree with you about cosplay being about love for a particular series or character, but I think LARP and cosplay are two sides of the same coin because you can't really cosplay without stepping into the role of the character (i.e. doing character-appropriate poses in photos and in some cases acting like the character when interacting with people).

>>9239401
Yeah, that's why I added the second line about visually appealing OCs. People pretty unanimously hate self-insert weeb horrors and unoriginal cringefest OCs from popular franchises (ponies, Homestuck, AoT, Harry Potter just to name a few series that seem to get a ton of eyesore OCs).
>>
>>9239006
I came into the thread to say I thought it looked okay with uniforms, but apparently we're not counting that. How strongly you resemble the character can really make or break cosplays from live action series, so I'd often rather see someone do a cosplay of a generic Star Trek crew member or Harry Potter student than try to cosplay a recurring cast member they look nothing like. Even if it's an OC of sorts, you can recognise which series its from so it's still cosplay.
>>
I think it's okay to do regular character designs that require some degree of complexity like anon's Star Wars character, a wizard, OR night, but putting on normal clothes and a wig and calling it an OC seems silly. I think the only exception I've seen is where someone did an OC persocom. Since the comics show so many in the background, it was cool.
>>
>>9240025
Demon*

Fucking phone...
>>
>>9240010

I guess as well as visually appealing, it would have to fit in the canon as well, or if it's a standalone work, it would have to be a pretty good standalone piece of writing, something artists generally are not great at.

All in all, I'm not a fan and would probably not take a picture if they were an OC, but if it was well made and doesn't contain extraneous elements, then sure, I might. I may be biased but I'm open to anything good.
>>
>DO
- OCs for general theme meets. Steampunk, etc
>DO NOT
- OCs for established series
- Enter a contest and try to give everybody your fucking backstory
>opinions
>>
I think it's fun. I consider cosplay the act of making yourself look like a preexisting character; it doesn't matter how many or how few people know who that character is. Sometimes that design from your friend's comic that they'll never actually write is super appealing and enjoyable to make, who cares.
>>
>>9240025
That actually sounds fun; the persocoms, I mean. I never even thought about it but there are QUITE a few out there in canon so it wouldn't even be a thing to create your own.
Same with pokemon trainers, obviously.

General rules would still apply of course: don't be a dick, don't bite peoples' heads off for not knowing you, etc.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.