[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /cgl/ participate in the "maker" subculture? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: The-Maker-Movement.png (774KB, 1125x949px) Image search: [Google]
The-Maker-Movement.png
774KB, 1125x949px
Does /cgl/ participate in the "maker" subculture? I'm thinking about joining a hackerspace so I can realize my dream cosplay next year.
>>
>>9215381
Go for it! I've only recently gotten involved in maker subculture (mostly through my university's expansive facilities), but I've already met so many great folks through it. I think the best way to get involved is to figure out first what kind of stuff you might be interested in (for me, it was 3D printing and resin casting/molding), then look into joining some groups centered around those activities. Many of them host workshops and classes, and even if they don't, you can learn a ton just from listening to the pros talk. I've had a huge advantage in that I can use my university's stuff completely for free, but for those who don't have access to that kind of thing, makerspaces/hackerspaces are a godsend.
(hoping this thread won't die, maker subculture is so interesting to me!)
>>
File: raiden-ninja.gif (2MB, 319x184px) Image search: [Google]
raiden-ninja.gif
2MB, 319x184px
Bump.

I want to experiment with the idea of integrating LEDs in my cosplay, or helmets with visors/faceplates that open and close on their own.

<-Think pic related but not exactly that. Stuff like it.
>>
>>9215381
I tried to find one near me but there's fuck all to do where I live, sadly. I'm moving soon so hopefully I'll be able to find one.
I really love the idea, it's so cool. I hope they catch on and become more popular.
>>
A lot of it is cancer. Lots of roundabout methods, expensive prototyping tools used as final construction, using a raspberry pi when you could use a 20 cent chip, that kind of thing. Make Magazine kind of got the ball rolling with the "more money than sense" movement.

I know I sound like a huge hater here but the whole thing really is designed to separate you from your money. Just be careful and make sure you're getting your dollar's worth on the use of the tools, and not just renting a 3D printer for days at a time.
>>
File: IMG_20151026_152508.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151026_152508.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
I'd 100% recommend hackerspaces. Depending where you are you might have a super awesome one near you.

Mine has recently invested in a craft area after me and another person joined it, so now we have decent sewing machines, scissors and mannequins to work with.

Not to mention actual machinery like saws, drills, sanders, laser cutters, 3D printers and a CNC machine to use. The people are super helpful too.
>>
I'm a member of a local hackerspace and I really love it- the laser cutter alone is worth my membership.
>>
[spoiler] what [/spoiler]
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.