[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cosplay attention

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 15

File: 1322152846110.jpg (188KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
1322152846110.jpg
188KB, 425x640px
what cosplays get the most attention at a con? Is it the cosplay that looks the best? Is it a cosplay that is from something popular like tokyo ghoul? Is it a cosplay that is detailed and elaborate? Or is it a cosplay that looks well made? I dont know what cosplay to do to get a lot of good attention at a con.
>>
>>9205152
when looking for attention at cons, always remember the three B's: boobs, butt, and big prop.
>>
Groups get a lot of attention. If you are in a group coordinated cosplay you will get a lot of attention especially if it is decently elaborate. If you want to just go by yourself it really depends on what kind of attention you want. T&A will get you a different crowd than a well made cosplay or a T&A cosplay.
>>
3 things I've noticed get the most attention for my costumes are, that they're a female character, they show skin, there's impressive elements like difficult construction or armour/props. Everytime I take away one of those 3 things attention goes down. As >>9205181 says, the crowd is different depending on what you play up.
>>
At my local comm the ones with a huge prop or full armor get the most attention. Doesn't matter if they're well made or not.
>>
shit that's cool to look at regardless of your feelings on the source.
>>
There's probably a quasi-mathematical equation where you can add up the attention that certain elements get. Like a moving Gundam beats a single cosplayer with tits + big prop, but loses to tits + big prop + partial armor + group of five + widely recognizable cosplayer.

+ 10 points
>Full suits of moving armor, e.g., Gundams, Transformers, full Iron Man gear.

+8 points
>Non-terrifying quad-suits, like that Toothless from Otakon a few years ago

+5
>A group of 5 or more (bonus +1 if the group of 5 or more is somehow a complete unit, like all five Voltron Paladins)
>Jessica Nigri

+3 points
>Prop taller than the cosplayer
>Big wings
>Ballgown that's self-evidently complicated, like it has five layers or ruffles or is entirely made of flowers or something
>Partial armor
>Boobs/butt/midriff OR reasonably well-built shirtless man
>A universally recognizable meme costume, like dressing up as a Pokestop in summer of '16
>Good jokes, the first time they're made, like "(bottle of) Bleach" and "(sewing) Iron Man"
>Well-executed rare cosplay from a popular or nostalgic series
>A group of 3 or more

+2
>A large prop smaller than the cosplayer
>Multiple things light up
>Detailed or complicated craftsmanship that is visble from a distance and is obvious to the casual con-goer, and is not otherwise accounted for (e.g., Gundams and huge gowns don't get an extra two points for this)
>A group of 2, where the two characters are commonly shipped

+1
>Non-rare cosplay from a popular series
>Overall polish OR detailed or complicated craftsmanship that isn't visible from a distance
>Cute face
>Overall good physique
>One thing lights up
>Prosthetics
>Well-applied body paint (does not apply if series is played out, e.g., Homestuck, SU)
>POC dressed as a POC character
>A group of 2, where the characters aren't commonly shipped

>The fandom is completely oversaturated and the costume is non-rare
>Fat, and not dressed as a fat character
>Ugly face
>Badly applied body paint

>OCs
>>
Mechs or a combination of the following

>Tits
>Asian
>Group
>Popular series
>>
>>9207813
incredibly accurate
>saved forever in my cosplay tutorial folder
>>
Mascot characters. Multiple times I have cosplayed a mascot character, people call out to me for a picture and then go, "Oh! There's a whole group!" As they notice the rest of my cosplay group.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 467x554px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 467x554px
Popular series such as dragon ball z will get you tons of attention. Got stopped so many times cosplaying as vegeta or goku.
>>
What kind of attention do you prefer for your cosplay?
Lots of people wanting to take photos?
People complimenting your costume regardless of whether they know the source material?
Other fans/cosplayers of that material stopping to chat with you about it/your character?

The last one is my favourite, I love it when I make new friends just because we both like the same thing.
>>
>>9213769
I wanna sleep with a lot of cosplayers
>>
File: 1472853786782.jpg (51KB, 552x805px) Image search: [Google]
1472853786782.jpg
51KB, 552x805px
>>9213771
Thats gross and you should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>9207813
>Detailed or complicated craftsmanship that is visble from a distance and is obvious to the casual con-goer, and is not otherwise accounted for (e.g., Gundams and huge gowns don't get an extra two points for this)
Can somebody elaborate on this? It must be because english is not my first language, but I can seem to undersand how this one works.
>>
Detailed and elaborate costumes always draw my eye. Those are the ones I ask photos from if the cosplayer looks friendly. That matters a lot too.
>>
>>9207813
>Fat, and not dressed as a fat character
:(
>>
File: wallmartbrandDDR.jpg (2MB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
wallmartbrandDDR.jpg
2MB, 1728x3072px
I got a lot of attention at my last con.
>>
>>9215015
Basically, a cosplay looks really impressive even from far away. Like the giant Transformers cosplays, giant wings, huge ballgowns, etc. Like, even if you see the costume out of the corner of your eye, you can easily spot something elaborate/detailed/big/impressive on it without having to get a close-up look at it.
>>
>>9215750
youre a dude though. not a very pretty one at that due to the unfortunate face. at least you didnt need giant fake tits for her.
>>
I think nostalgic costumes bring in the most attention. Whenever I see something from my childhood it always catches me eye immediately! even when its a shit cosplay desu
>>
File: its happening car hitler.gif (425KB, 1221x850px) Image search: [Google]
its happening car hitler.gif
425KB, 1221x850px
>>9207813
Hmmm...

If I cosplayed as Adolf Hitler, even though being about 15cm taller than the guy, what would that fall into?

I was thinking about carrying around a boombox on my shoulder playing this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUqwjujE6o
>>
>>9215770
Different anon here, is there a guide to hiding manface? Shading tricks etc? I want to do b-lolita but I'm afraid I have too much of a dudejaw
>>
>>9205152
>Groups
>Any 'sexy' costume
>Armor
>Whatever series is popular at the time
It's pretty simple really. Either you go the super detailed, huge armor route or go easy and do something that's sexy or of a really popular 'waifu/husbando'.
>>
File: 1398012144105.jpg (441KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1398012144105.jpg
441KB, 1280x960px
I wonder
>>
>>9215983
Obviously it's easier than huge armor, but even flavor of the month husbando/waifu requires a certain minimum skill level to get attention.
>>
>>9216010
Yes and no. With waifus or husbandos no one will give a shit unless your hot or cute, quality of the costume is second.
>>
>>9216010
>>9216022
Yeah, not really. I've seen some awful cosplays get a million pictures because 'muh waifu!!1!' and the cosplayer is good-looking (though not always)
>>
>>9215977
Nope. I would say not even Jeffree Star can hide his manface, but he's also has extensive surgery to soften his features and STILL looks like a dude no matter what. If you look like a man, nothing can help. Not even makeup tricks.
>>
>>9205166

this
>>
>>9213674
It's obvious what you're shooting here, and you can't even get it in focus? Jeez.
>>
>>9213769
Last one, definitely!

>>9207813
missed Asian girl +3
>>
Obnoxious bright color scheme will get you attention.

It may not be good attention, but is that really what most people go for anyways?
>>
What's your opinion on people making... not truly OC, but adding a flavor to a character ? like those steampunk batmans ?

I mean on one hand it is creative, on another, often the quality of a cosplay is how well it look like the original.
>>
Either:
- Something massively oversized
- Something with LEDs
- Uncovered skin
- Actual attention to detail
>>
>>9215364
No one said you can't or shouldn't do it, just that you can't expect much if any positive attention for it. If you are cosplaying because you love the character, then the attention factor shouldn't matter as much.
>>
>>9222386
I can appreciate the time and effort put into it but steampunk has never been my cup of tea. I feel like people do it for 'quirky' points but I have seen it dwindling down lately
>>
File: 7999753.jpg (620KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
7999753.jpg
620KB, 1066x1600px
>>9205152
>get this outfit
>have the body
>?
>"attention"/profit
>>
>>9222405
>have the body

bitch, my bet is you weigh 300 pounds and think you're hot shit when the weird looking mexican weaboo tries to get a picture with you hoverhanding.
>>
>>9222410
nah, not cosplaying, but nice try
>>
>>9222411
so you dont deny you're 300 pounds
>>
>>9215770
Face pic where?
>>
File: even-amundsen-fw.jpg (1MB, 1920x2234px) Image search: [Google]
even-amundsen-fw.jpg
1MB, 1920x2234px
>>9222398
Yea, never liked those either. if the cog serve no purpose, no sense putting them.

It's rather that I "have" to cosplay some pointy eared green wearing dude because someone is making a zelda garb, but I... don't really like the options I have.
I'm more into historical reconstitution, and while looking for some "realistic" looks for link, I found this artwork.
So I'm thinking about personalizing it a bit, making the garb seem like link came back from Lordran rather than Hyrule.

Not sure how zelda would take this, if she try to do the most close to possible to her TP char, and I just come as a blond elf knave with rusty armor green gambeson, and norman tier hilyan shield.

So, how would you take such cosplay ?
>>
>>9222626
I'm way more flexible on cosplays based on actual pieces of fan art (I know some people get butthurt about it but I think it's cool). I'm an artist too so I can see both sides. To me, it's great that someone can get so inspired by a piece of art that they want to create the outfit themselves.

This would look pretty badass if you really go all out on the armor/shield and make the outfit look more weathered. I think people would definitely appreciate the effort and most people can recognize Link (whether they've played any of the Zelda games or not) so you'd get a fair bit of positive attention. If the cosplay is well-done, I'm more inclined to like it even if I don't necessarily 'get' it.
>>
>>9207813
>OCs
That really depends on the OC as a they can fall into the previous categories.
>>
>>9222660
People may like it, yes.

But my primary objective is to know if zelda gonna be pissed off, because knowing her they will be no way ( at least for me ) to tell.

And if cosplay is all about creating stuff to look the most closely like a know character, this will not be what I will be doing.
>>
>>9215750
hmm i wonder why kek
>>
File: Ca-bIRyUAAATw7n.jpg (46KB, 600x697px) Image search: [Google]
Ca-bIRyUAAATw7n.jpg
46KB, 600x697px
I'm ugly af but I dress up as slutty game/anime characters and get lots of attention. It works every time bhuhuhuhu
>>
>>9207813
Just casual lurker for cool pics of cosplay on CGL: why are OC costumes bad? Tbh I don't know who half the cosplays are when I browse, but I still enjoy them.
>>
>>9223322

i don't know about op, but most i've seen on fb are plain clothes outfits with a wig. It's like what >>9222667 said, it depends on the oc, but in my experience there are definitely more ocs out there that won't get attention because no one knows who they are or they're just plain cringey.
>>
File: 1435347704215.jpg (2MB, 1530x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1435347704215.jpg
2MB, 1530x2048px
I'm a pretty average-sized but """"curvy""""" girl, working on losing weight. When I get to my goal weight I want to do a skimpy cosplay to celebrate and feel good about myself. What cosplay is the right level of popular, skimpy but not literally naked, and not overcosplayed that would get me the most attention? I was considering Tharja because I'm a Fire Emblem fan, or maybe plugsuit Asuka.
>>
>>9223481
If you're gonna do this, it's not difficult to see what flavor of the month cosplays are getting traction right now. If you really wanna get attention, do something niche.

Be prepared for a lot of salt though. I'm doing something similar (though it's a character I actually like so not bandwagon jumping) and already have gotten feedback on a crappy picture so it works but you take the good with the bad.
>>
I always just buy my cosplays so they're never anything elaborate but I think I get the most attention when I wear Touhou cosplays. So far I've cosplayed several Touhou characters, a character from an anime that's not all that popular (Upotte if you're wondering), and Homura from Madoka Magika. I DEFINITELY got the most attention when I cosplayed the Touhou characters. I think it helps that I'm an actual girl cosplaying something that usually boys cosplay. Hell my first con was AWA 2013 when ZUN was there and my cosplay looked awful but I still got an asston of attention when I wore it.
>>
>>9223481

So long as the costume looks well made and fits your body, you're all set. Skimpy but well made stuff gets respect because you clearly put time into it. Skimpy but shitty translates to you just wanting attention.
>>
>>9216415
>Jeffree Star

Holy shit, that's a name I haven't heard since 2007.
>>
My last cosplay got a surprising amount of attention because of the prop I was carrying. During the day, I periodically dropped it off in my room because of how heavy it was, and I noticed I was getting a lot less attention/recognition. That made sense, as my costume wasn't really showy on its own, whereas my prop was 3.5 ft long, pretty complex, and cleanly constructed. Good, recognizable props will get you everywhere.
>>
File: 1342111610963.jpg (142KB, 531x798px) Image search: [Google]
1342111610963.jpg
142KB, 531x798px
Im not trying to sound racist, but I have notice asian girls cosplay the sluttiest.
>>
>>9223558
Which Touhou character did you cosplay? I'm planning on doing either Reimu or Yuyuko in the near future. I'm a Britbong though so I'm not sure if Touhou really has that much of a following over here so not sure if people would recognise the characters (especially Yuyuko) unless I was Flan, Remilia or Cirino seen as most people recognise them even if they don't play the games.
>>
>>9205152
Things that light up
People love shiny things
>>
>>9223558
Even just being somewhat passable puts you a step above most the other touhou cosplayers, who usually have obvious stubble. My Momiji cosplay got some attention, but that could have just been from the MAGA hat.
>>
Very fitting for this thread
>>
>>9207819
Asians don't AUTOMATICALLY get attention just because they're Asian.

Fat, ugly Asians get ignored just like everybody else.
>>
>>9232532
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

I WANT ATTENTION BUT I DON'T WANT TO PUT ANY EFFORT INTO MY COSTUME, FITNESS OR FACIAL AETHETICS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That's you. That's how you sound.
>>
>>9232556
Im new to this thread and what the fuck. Only newfags would caps lock and repeat shit. Learn how to reply.
>>
>>9222405
Why is the sister groping the other sister?
>>
File: 1473808885529.jpg (48KB, 450x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473808885529.jpg
48KB, 450x720px
>>9213674
What's wrong with her body
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.