[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are fursuits so expensive, and why does spray-on-foam never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

Why are fursuits so expensive, and why does spray-on-foam never get involved in construction?

Also, I'm surprised there's nothing fursuit related in the catalog.
Are fursuit threads allowed?
>>
>>9199752
>spray on foam
Like the construction foam that expands? That shit is fragile.
>nothing fursuit related
There were a few threads recently but the same old "ew furries" thing is still a thing.

Are these threads allowed? I guess, as long as you can keep it on topic, like talk about construction, tutorials, posting neat suits etc. Anything cosplay-related.
Will people generally like it? No.
>>
>>9199759
Darn, I assumed construction foam was rubbery in texture.
It'd be pretty neat if you could make a fursuit by sticking fur to your skin with something, cutting it off, then holding it together with magnets.
Although magnets really wouldn't make it tight enough.
>>
>>9199752
>Why are fursuits so expensive
Because fur is expensive. It is 2 to 10 times more expensive than regular fabric. They are also usually unique, meaning more craftsmanship has to go in them, so more time, and more money.

>Are fursuit threads allowed?
Yes, but probably not your image since this is a christian board.
>>
>>9199815
Can I go to some shitty third-world country and get the fur cheaper there?
Because for boat-alteration reasons I'm going to have to find some shitty third-world country anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 210x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 210x220px
>>9199767
>>
>>9199752
cause it takes lots of time to make something good, just like regular cosplay.
>>
>>9199895
I'm not talking about labour price though so much as material price.
>>
>>9199818
You can, but it may be loaded with toxic chemicals and other shit you don't want. Also fur and faux fur varies in cost by region too, as some suppliers have a ready supply, other's don't
>>
>>9199896
Even green craft foam at Joanns or somewhere similar is going to be expensive overall. It can be difficult to cut cost on making a suit. The only way to make a "cheap" suit is to use shitty materials which will of course lead to your suit looking like shit.

"Cheaper" but never better ways to make suits:
-use of "Fun Fur" as it's ~$12/yd instead of $25-45/yd
- using glue for fucking everything
- toony eyes made of plastic knitting mesh
- foamy pawpads/nose/etc

Suits are expensive even subtracting the labor involved, it's just the cost of the required materials to make a quality costume. You could make a suit yourself to lessen the overall cost (aka having to pay someone else to do it), but even still it's going to be pricey.

Some materials can cost less and even be the pile desired but you need to know what you're looking for. This can save on price a little bit. That and use of fleece but this depends on if you want a realistic or toony style suit.

Anyway this is why when a lot of people who want to make their own suit usually make a partial first. It's just an expensive hobby. :/
>>
>>9199752
In relation to fursuit threads, it's better to just call them mascot related things. Focus on the cosplay aspect rather than the actual fursuit aspect. So character suits and stuff.
>>
>>9200618
Makes me wonder if there's any bench devices for fabricating fabrics.
Fur may be expensive, but surely the raw materials it's made from aren't?
>>
>>9200657
Faux fur is made from synthetic fibres (read: essentially plastic) and using real fur for the costumes is frowned upon but could be done but you're essentially making a leather suit then.

If you somehow have the means to make your own synthetic fur, then by all means go ahead but I personally have no idea how one could DIY faux fur.
>>
>>9199818
third world coutry fur is really bad anon. I live in Brazil and you really can't compare to north american fur
>>
File: 1472892584562.jpg (4KB, 126x97px) Image search: [Google]
1472892584562.jpg
4KB, 126x97px
>>9200754
Where can I get more information about this?
>>
Anon I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but I think you really need to do research on actual fursuit forums and find some tutorials. This has been a hobby for a long time, and trust me every cheap workaround has been tried and tested before. You aren't going to into this brand new and suddenly find a magical way to make it cheaper. Learn to do it right, and it won't be shit. Try to cheap out whatever way you can, and it will show.

>>9200657
>Fur may be expensive, but surely the raw materials it's made from aren't?
You're right, its just plastic fiber, so the material is inexpensive. But there is no home use loom for making fur. The closest thing you could find is the method used to make lace front wigs, which would take for fucking ever anon seriously don't do this.
>>
>>9200888
I dunno, look at Clockwork Creatures:
A highly custom and very good quality fursuit will cost $2000+ while a noname producer selling garbage-quality premade suits will charge $1000-2000.
Mediocre suits with a low level of customisation from lesser known producers will be around $2000.

Clearly, if one company offers so much more for a similar price to everyone else, there's a lot that everyone else has yet to learn; and probably Clockwork Creatures itself has a lot to learn too.
>>
>>9204046
>suggesting Clockwork Creature's quotes are the actual price of a suit and don't take into account detailed add ons, how convoluted the fur patterns are, or if a new mask design is required

Look, anon, you need to understand that Clockwork Creature is one of the most sought after brands and is also one of the most expensive realistic style suit makers. You're throwing out numbers that don't even make sense. Just because someone who produces mediocre work is charging ~$1-2k for a suit doesn't mean that's the absolute flat price. There is a lot that determines how much a suit will cost which is why a lot of makers require you to fill out a form and produce a reference to get a more accurate quote before payment.

Shit tier makers can charge similar prices to mediocre but most choose to charge less because typically they know they're shit, usually due to just starting out. This doesn't mean people will pay these prices or even work with these makers.

I think you need to do more research and have a better understanding of what exactly goes into these costumes and what constitutes a change in price. You're clearly very new to this, so I suggest maybe doing what >>9200888 said and go to a forum and have a discussion there.

Even without the cost of labor, more complicated suits can be more expensive due to simple things such as your character having more than one color fur, hair/fluff and eye/mask style.
>>
>>9204142
https://www.furbuy.com/auctions/1088862.html
>$2900 second hand suit
>lands square in uncanny valley, and has the baggy and rounded form of low quality fursuits

People seem to be willing to pay thousands for rather low quality stuff.

Although, now I see that Clockwork Creature has gone up sharply in price too since I last checked, much more than $2000 for a basic suit!

You'd think price:quality would go down as people learn more small ways they can improve their fursuits.
>>
>>9204194
A lot of people don't care to improve their craft/own suits or just straight up don't think they need to because "someone will buy it anyway". The bidding is that high because of two users, not because of multiple interest although I understand what you're saying.

The shave of the fur is poor and face detailing is off.

Typically prices have gone up overall anyway compared to 5 or 10 years ago, top quality suits are heading well into the $5-6k mark even for just toony suits. Things are beginning to curb in the sense that popularity/brand is ruling over quality, so a lot of smaller makers are popping up with "old" pricing. CC quality is constant, as are most realistic suit makers, but toony (a typically more popular choice) has lowered the bar despite price, in my opinion.
>>
>>9204233
What if I threw a dildo at the New Zealand prime minister while wearing a fursuit?
Would that increase the value of the fursuit?
>>
File: insane_clown_posse9.jpg (230KB, 1224x1130px) Image search: [Google]
insane_clown_posse9.jpg
230KB, 1224x1130px
>>9199767
>>
>>9199842
i think OP might be a little kid desu
>>
I heard of someone once sticking fur directly to their skin.
Someone talked about it in an s/fur thread or some other furry place.
I think they just jumped in a vat of something.
>>
http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/other/auction-1171626994.htm
>want to get into sewing so I can start practicing on more basic furry apparel
>tempted to buy this
>in an area where I won't be for ages
>>
>>9207570
anon, good choice on the sewing machine, pfaff is fucking good, but the shitty part of sewing fur is the fucking hairs getting stuck in the machine
>>
>>9199767
Charlie?
>>
>>9208237
I'm just wondering how I'll get it to me.
Pickup only, and I have no car.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.