[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay Photography and Prints Bussiness ¿How did you do that?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Hi /cgl/

Im a cosplay fan and i see many cosplayers using Patreon or another plataforms to sell Prints and Sets.

Maybe some of you are in the same "work model" so i want to ask:

- Camera Man: Do you Pay for your Photos?
- The Photos: If you pay for them, are yours? the photographer cant claim some kind of weird rights?
- Patreon and Photograper: Do you pay for session and its over or you make an arrangement for % of sales?

If you have another topic relative to this, please develop, i have so many doubts about this because i have some friends who make cosplay and photosets and they want start in the "cosplay bussiness"

Obviously, to paying more cosplay.
>>
>>9177320
As a photographer who's shot a few camgirls:

1) Of course you pay for your photos. You're going to make money off of them, but not going to pay the artist who took them?

2) Photographer's rights are spelled out in your modeling contract. If you don't want to pay for photos, expect the photographer to keep almost all the rights (which will almost certainly include the right to sell the photos). If you pay, except to get the rights (though I personally always reserve the right to artistic use - say, for gallery shows). But BE SURE TO CAREFULLY READ THE CONTRACT FIRST.

3) I always ask for session pay. I don't bother with %s, it's too big a headache, too much accounting, and too easy to cheat or get into fights over. I don't have any experience with Patreon, tho.
>>
>>9177337
If you take a session, Do you preserve rights of any photo?

Like, i have a session with you and i pay for it. As cosplayer, i sell some prints and one photo of the set becomes a best seller...

Do you claim for some money?
>>
>>9177355
No.

But a photographer can. I don't want that sort of headache, I like to be paid upfront.

But some photographers would be willing to work with such an arrangement.
>>
>>9177355
>>9177362
Or are you asking "Can a photographer claim part of my profits after the fact?"

AFIAK, no. (But IANAL.) I believe it would have to be spelled out in the contract for a photographer to be able to do that.

Also, I'm getting the feeling English isn't your first language, so if you're not in the US, the laws could be very different in your country.
>>
>>9177362

I know about some photographers who preserve the rights and still are receiving money for the print selling... is this any type of scam?

>>9177368
Yes, maybe that is real question...

Im from Veracruz, Mexico.
>>
>>9177368

The contract is the answer i think.

Do you have any idea how can i write some fair contract? What things do and dont?
>>
>>9177372
>>9177377
Not really, I don't know much at all about Mexican law.

Do you have any friends who are lawyers or in law school?
Do you have any friends who are photographers or models?
If not, there must be some websites that can give you a basic rundown. I know there are lots for the US, I can't imagine there aren't ones about Mexican law.

>I know about some photographers who preserve the rights and still are receiving money for the print selling... is this any type of scam?

If that was what was agreed to in the contract, it's not a scam. If it wasn't...
>>
>>9177380

I think is more like ethics of the photographer.

If i took a session and i get paid, im fine.

But, if i know some weird law about "rights preservation of the picture"... can i use it to claim some kind of royalty payment?

i think is not fair because i already get money for the session and thats the only contract i make.

Thats an hypotetical scenario. Im not a photographer.
>>
>>9177388
In US law, at least, a photographer can sign over all his rights to a photo. Very few people or places would hire a photographer if they couldn't.

Usually, the only rights reserved are ones like that the photographer must be given credit for taking the photo.
>>
Cosplayer here who sells prints.

All of the prints I sell I have either purchased the rights for or the photographer didn't care whether or not I sold them. The photographer supplies the typed agreement for usage.

I've considered doing a deal where we split profits but that means each month I could be sending weird amounts of money to my photog and this will go on until I discontinue that print, so it's easier to just pay them upfront for their time.

If you are wondering who should pay, it depends on who approaches who. If I as a cosplayer approach a photographer of course I will pay them. If a photographer approaches me with intent to build their portfolio I do expect some sort of compensation for my time. Usually this comp is allowing me to use a small number of the complete set as I please.
>>
>>9177448

Well, i was speaking for the cosplayer side.

I know if im a cosplayer who wants pictures, i need to pay (if the photographer is a pro one of course)

But i need the prints.

So, i think i can sell those prints if i make a good deal. But i dont want to pay it monthly, maybe two or three times... but not forever...
>>
>>9177394
In the US very few places get the rights. The photos are still the property of the photographer, unless it's been written in contract, the photos were taken as part of a compilation project that's run by another person, or the rights are voluntarily given up. And all of these can still be changed by a contract.
>>
>>9182978
Except everyone gives aways their rights anyway, or else the cosplayers would find someone else that would
>>
>>9182978
>unless it's been written in contract,

Yep, that's why I said "sign away the rights" and repeatedly told OP to READ THE CONTRACT.
>>
>>9183108
Not copyrights. Usage rights is different from copyrights
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.