[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does your SO feel about you being into cosplay? Are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

How does your SO feel about you being into cosplay?

Are they into it too? They don't care? They shit on it?
>>
My last few s/o I met at cons and they were already into it, so it makes my life easier in that sense. In fact I think we met because of the cosplays we were wearing.
>>
Mine wants to cosplay, but most of the stuff I cosplay from doesn't have many guy characters or he's not interested in them, and he seems to gravitate towards male power fantasy characters that he wouldn't really fit into.
>>
Mine's as normie as normie gets, but he's pretty supportive of my cosplaying and has even said he might dress up for photos if I made his costumes and would be willing to go to something like DragonCon. He tried going to a smaller con with me and didn't hate it, but it definitely wasn't for him. But yeah, I'm just happy to be with someone who accepts my weird hobby and encourages me to do what makes me happy.
>>
I don't go to cons anymore, but my bf and I did go to a smaller one once, Zenkaikon, so he could see what they're like. He thinks the concept of conventions is weird (especially for the cost), but appreciates craftsmanship of some cool cosplays. A lot of my friends who aren't into it think the same that conventions are a little bizarre but costumes themselves are cool.
>>
>>9176773
Most of the guys I've dated have been very supportive of my cosplaying and had no issues with it. They weren't that into it themselves though so no cute couples cosplay for me.
>>
>>9176773
I think those are both men
>>
he's supportive of my cosplay /but doesn't really care/isn't enthusiastic about it? he was happy to see more work hard and congratulated me on my finished prodectd and complimented how cute i looked but he didn't care for it- until we got to the con.

he's not exactly huge on it still, but he would like to dress up as Luffy or would like to do a couple cosplay. He offered to do Okabe since I was already planning on doing Makise.

i'm kind of glad ! when we went to our first con together he kind of regretted looking like a normie because he is a fan of anime after all.
i'm excited because i can help him out with stuff, and i think he would make a super cute Luffy. he would probably be really happy to cosplay him since it's basically his favorite character
>>
File: edit-9746-1404698833-20.jpg (98KB, 464x813px) Image search: [Google]
edit-9746-1404698833-20.jpg
98KB, 464x813px
>>9176870

project * idk what that derp was.

couple cosplays are so adorable i love seeing them at cons
>>
My gf doesn't cosplay. I prefer it that way. Not going to force her into my hobbies. Cons are times for friends anyway.
>>
My boyfriend has gotten into it because of me. Before I got into the hobby, he didn't care about it at all but seeing me make stuff and going to conventions has made him really enjoy it. He'd like to cosplay himself but unfortunately he isn't really crafty so I'd have to make his costumes for him. I already feel stressed enough making my own costumes, so I hate having to worry about his costumes as well. But, I'm really happy that he wants to cosplay with me so I try to consider who he could cosplay with me when I plan out what I'll be cosplaying myself.
>>
>>9176773

Way more supportive than i was expecting... We don't have the funds for both of us to go this october so she said I should go rather than neither of us on the promise I bring her back something.

She was also too lazy to make her costume so i guess it's a win win
>>
This topic gives me some sad feels.

I've been into anime since I had access to the internet at the age of 11 or 12, probably like most of us. Before that it was pokemon DBZ and stuff....

But anyways, once I got older I discovered cosplaying and have always been infatuated. I have made Halloween costumes blah blah, etc, but never been to a con.

My boyfriend of 6 years loves anime too, but he is not in to dressing up, or any kinda fashion. I love him so much but I'm like FUUUUCK.

He is taking me to AWA and it will be my first con and first time cosplaying in front of other fans. there were so many couples we could pull off cosplaying together but he is not into it. At all.

He is very supportive and impressed. Also eager to help me with the tools I need when making props. I just wish we could do it more...together? le sigh.
>>
>>9177280
IDK why my post is all spaced like that, sorry guys i'm not with it this morning =.=
>>
My new husband is a texas boy through and through, "nerd culture" goes completely over his head and I'm too old to still be going to cons.

But his daughter is a sweetheart and she's really into comics and stuff, maybe I can nudge her a little bit towards cosplay and get myself an adorable little pupil.
>>
>>9176773
My SO in college would have shit on it constantly. I'm dating someone that supports it and he even agreed to do some couple cosplays. But, that's twice the work for me.
>>
My bf always wants to cosplay with me but he's a bigger guy so it's hard to find something he fits into...

I keep pushing him to lose weight and am trying to make sure we eat healthy together but I don't want to seem like an asshole
>>
I don't think I could date someone who isn't into cosplay.
>>
My gf really likes anime, but I don't think she would dress up. I'm trying to persuade her to do Kyouko and Ayano from Yuru Yuri with me.
>>
>>9177509
A little off topic as its not about a partner, but my step sister (who is significantly younger than me) and i really bonded over cosplay and nerdy shit. If it weren't for that i doubt we would be very close because of our age difference, but i live a bit away from my family and in the run up to cons i visit her or she visits me and we work on costumes together, practice makeup etc then i take her to cons. I am glad that i was with her for her first few cons because i know how cons and congoers can be. She now has some non shitty friends her own age that cosplay too so i help them with their costumes too. As she has had me teaching her from a young age she is a much better seamstress than most people her age would be and makes her own clothing and clothes for friends and her schools drama club. She has also been shortlisted by a local fairly well known (for our country) historical museum for a possible exhibition next year to assist their seamstress with making period clothing for an interactive exhibition. Even if she doesnt go into fashion or tailoring i think these things will be good on her CV for job applications, and its all doing something she enjoys!
tl;dr, yeah if she is interested it will probably be great for your relationship and her personal development!
>>
its cool but he wont allow me to cosplay anything too revealing
>>
My gf is really normie and doesn't even like going to cons, which is fine since we can both do our own thing on those weekends and those are far and few in between. However, for a con coming up in a few months, I recently got her to read Their Story and she said that she wouldn't mind cosplaying it with me!!

I'll probably cut my con weekend short to just one day so we can just hang out together, but I'm kind of excited that my gf wants to cosplay with me and it's a couple cosplay!
>>
>>9177518
Sort of in the same boat as you, anon. My boyfriend and I have some characters we'd like to do but he doesn't feel comfortable cosplaying them yet. However, he is already working on losing weight, so hopefully sometime next year he'll feel ready to cosplay some fit guys.
>>
>>9177518
>>9177696
Or you could just do the cosplays together anyways.
>>
My gf flat out told me she would leave me if I cosplayed at a con, I'm pretty sure she's convinced I'd be oggling half-dressed Kill La Kill cosplays or something. But planning imaginary cosplays is fun too, I guess...
>>
My bf really wants to do it, he just wants to hit the gym so he feels less self-conscious first. Pretty excited to plan cosplays with him!
>>
>>9177789
That is harsh. Try and get her in the mindset that it's like dressing up for Halloween or a costume party? I find normies see cosplay as this degenerate nerd thing when really how is it different from any normal-costume centered activity. Try and bring her to a con in normie clothes to show her that honestly most people that cosplay are just average-looking people and it's not a utopia of half-dressed hot girls.
>>
My husband always wanted to cosplay before meeting me. He made shitty Halloween costumes for himself and had a few friends that went to cons, but they were still pretty normie. He was honestly just into entry level stuff when we met but had good taste.

The sad part is that he sucks at helping making costumes and expects me to do it. He pretends to want to help, but he is "afraid" to break everything from a dremel to a sewing machine, so he refuses to learn to use them. It's nice that he will cut out patterns for me, but that is seriously where shit ends. I can't even send him out to buy more ribbon, fabric, or thread unless it's literally black or white because he's all but one type of color blind.

Sometimes he gets ambitious and says he's going to cosplay so and so, then I ask him if he's making the costume or if I am.
>>
>>9177789
>>9177811
She sounds like a manipulative bitch, honestly. No one has any right to tell their SO they'd leave them if they participated in a harmless hobby. I agree with what Anon said about taking her to a con, but if she's worried about you oggling half naked cosplayers, maybe show her some of the more elaborate armour cosplays and pictures of hall shots that show cons aren't just a mass gathering of Jessica Nigri's.
>>
I met mine thru going to cons and no she is trying really hard to get me to do pair cosplay with her at all the cons we go to. I like it, but at the same time makes me have to watch alot of stuff to understand the characters she's wanting me to cosplay.
>>
File: 1443974163218.jpg (39KB, 440x293px) Image search: [Google]
1443974163218.jpg
39KB, 440x293px
I've only ever cosplayed once back in college with my ex, I come here because the pictures are neat.

As far as all things geek went she was an absolute no-fun-allowed icequeen, she was in medschool through a scholarship and deemed it all a gigantic waste of time. Except for Avatar: The Last Airbender, I showed it to her by chance and she fell in love with it, in particular with the Zuko/Katara ship, she saw ourselves in them, got really mad when they weren't endgame, wrote some fanfics. So much so that without any prior experience she took it upon herself to make both our costumes for a local con. We had a blast.

Life got in the way so we're not together anymore, otherwise we'd have done some other couples by now, probably be married with a kid too. I miss her everyday.
>>
My bf is into video games moreso but likes some anime. He started watching Overlord and wants us to do protag and his love interest.
>it's all armor
>I refuse to argue this because he never picks cosplays for us.
>>
>>9177509
>I'm too old to still be going to cons
How old is that exactly?
>>
Mine hates it and gets really mad. Tells me not to take photos or let anyone take photos of me, not allowed to wear anything too revealing etc. I don't mind, if I'm sexy to him and him only that's all that matters and my cosplay preferences have definitely changed to accommodate him.
>>
>>9177280
Had this with my partner, she didn't want to do a costume originally till I helped build a simple one for her to try.

Do a simple couples costume that you can walk around freely in but still get into the spirit. Sometimes it's just a small step to get them into the idea it's fun.

Failing that don't pressure him and just make amazingly huge costumes and use him as your minder :D
>>
My fiancé thinks my cosplaying is cute and often says that he wants to dress up with me, but then he doesn't want to put any effort into even thinking up something to wear much less making it. Every time I come up with a couple cosplay idea he shoots it down and never comes up with an idea himself. And then he complains that I don't involve him in my hobby. It's starting to get on my nerves, to be honest.
>>
>>9178261
not good going into a marriage, sort that shit with him soon, don't let cosplay be the reason you split.
but what do I know I just troll image boards and this isn't /adv
>>
>>9178227
Nigga my mum cosplays with me at cons and she's 46 (I'm 26 BTW).
>>
File: Dead Inside.gif (359KB, 370x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dead Inside.gif
359KB, 370x330px
I am alone.
>>
>>9178260
I would try, and I have.
Example; I'm completing a Launch Cosplay and I desperately wanted him to be my Tinshinhan.

I was going to make his outfit, draw on his eye, and let him slide on the bald cap. (he is NOT gonna wear a wig)
It's hard to find characters that go with his look. He is very tall and pretty muscular with long curly red hair. Like I said he isn't into wearing wigs. xD

He DID consider Rukia/Ichigo, but I have only watched a little bit of bleach, same as him. We aren't die hard fans so I would feel kind of dumb cosplaying that? Idk.

Either way, I'm so grateful he's going to the con with me and such.
>>
File: I'm gonna rob somebody.jpg (131KB, 609x351px) Image search: [Google]
I'm gonna rob somebody.jpg
131KB, 609x351px
My husband likes going to cons. He's been really supportive of me and my hobby since basically day 1 of our relationship. He has cosplayed before and wants to keep doing it. But I don't think he really wants to put in the long term work it takes to make a nice costume. He also loves working on cars and that's usually where his spare time goes. The situation usually pans out as I'm getting ready for the con and he finally gets excited about it and wants to throw something together last minute. Now that we have a house and a garage, he said he wants to start making props. I have confidence he can make some good stuff. Hopefully I can get him to commit to a costume I can help him with before our next con.
>>
File: 439.gif (255KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
439.gif
255KB, 500x270px
>>9176818
me and you are in the exact same spot anon, complete normie, lost all of his games and consoles in a house fire in 2012 and hasn't really played anything since. he said he'd go to a con with me, so i'm just waiting for that bomb to drop hahaha i have a feeling he thinks he knows what he's expecting but he really doesn't.
>>
File: Lana_Skye_Portrait.png (34KB, 310x430px) Image search: [Google]
Lana_Skye_Portrait.png
34KB, 310x430px
She's not super into it like I am but she's done two previous cosplays before. One was from a VN and the other from a kids show.

She wants to do some more vidya ones someday like Lana Skye from AA:JFA, so I'm glad she's motivated to start.
>>
>>9178227
I turn 29 next month, the husband is 37, stepdaughter is 11
>>
File: 1473343157456.png (308KB, 850x1759px) Image search: [Google]
1473343157456.png
308KB, 850x1759px
>>9176773
He only bitches when I fuck other guys at con but w/e
>>
When we were dating, my husband (who is definitely a gaming, fantasy novel, figure collecting nerd) thought it was no big deal and expressed some interest. Now though he says it's a bit too much for him. We're in our early 30's (I've been cosplaying since I was 15) and he feels like he is too old to be at most conventions outside of Dragon*Con. He says his biggest problem with it is that, no matter how many guys he will see cosplaying, he thinks it's kinda of a "chick" thing and it doesn't interest him. While my heart is dashed for a cosplaying partner, it's no big deal for us. We bond over many of our other hobbies.

The most important thing is that he doesn't shame me or stop me from making costumes when I feel like it. He is supportive where it matters, even if being in a JoAnn's is like the seventh level of hell for him. Yeah, we both expect our careers & our son to come first but I still get to go to cons when I can. Besides, I still have plenty of friends who cosplay to fill the void. We're good.
>>
My bf and I did Finn and Fiona together at ConnectiCon a few years back. He's not super big on wigs and makeup, but he's supportive and would probably agree to do more in the future.
>>
>>9177789
Dump her first, then go do what your heart desires.
>>
>>9177519
This
>>
>>9177519
>>9179209
Same.
>>
>>9179078
>29 is too old
>>
>>9179863
Seems like the standard for "old" on /cgl/ keeps getting younger and younger every time I check. I wouldn't be surprised if people start saying being 20 is too old to cosplay on here.
>>
My ex boyfriend used to be into cosplay until he started dating me.
He always bought premades while I had been making my own for years before him.
The first convention we cosplayed together at, he threw a hissy fit pretty early on and stomped off to walk around by himself because he was jealous he wasn't getting as much attention as I was in my outfit I'd spent all year making compared to his closet cosplay and party city wig.
It's not even that I didn't offer to help make his; Because I did. He refused concrit and had this idea in his head that if he, a visibly asian man, were to don a costume, he would somehow be the belle of the ball.
We only went to two conventions together, and both of them played out the same way. As soon as we got there, he wouldnt be caught dead around me and spent most of his time trying to pick-up rave girls during the night.
He's stopped cosplaying since I dumped him.
>>
>>9180215
so exactly how old are you? Because I have been around 4chan since its inception in 2004, and back then, anything over 22 was absolutely insane, you should be getting a real life. 18 was the norm and over 20 was pushing it. I was 21 at that time and starting cosplay for the first time. Older cosplayers and con goers have gotten far more frequent and tolerated. -a 35 y/o congoer
>>
>>9178436
Either way, start small build out.
>>
My boyfriend has shown some interest but we've only done last minute simple costumes before. However, the last convention we went to a couple of weeks ago, he pulled out a surprise cosplay that he made himself. I was super touched that he put in all the effort to be involved in my hobby.
>>
>>9182356
I'm 25 soon to be 26. I haven't been on 4chan that long so I wasn't aware of that. Really? I don't really see that many older cosplayers. I do see older con goers, but not so much cosplayers. In fact the first group of con'goers I ever hung out with were in their late 20's and and early 30's. I mean now they're older, but they still attend cons. They weren't really into cosplay though. Regardless /cgl/ makes it look like cosplaying at like 25+ makes you look like an old creeper or something.
>>
My boyfriend has a casual interest in it. Before we were together, he had only cosplayed once before and apparently he was forced into doing it so it wasn't a good memory for him (Sebastian from black Butler). Now he enjoys walking around cons in cosplay as long as I'm cosplaying as well. He's an introvert so I really appreciate the effort he makes into going to cons with me.

He dislikes cosplay sometimes because he sees how stressful the process is for me even when I enjoy it. Sometimes I get so deep into work that I forget about anything else so there's that too. He also doesn't like it when I show skin (even if it's just a single uncovered leg) if he's not around which is understandable.

He also sees this as a good way for me to be creative so he helps me as much as possible, which is a lot because his knowledge and resources as an engineer have helped me immensely. We've done a tonne of couple cosplays together and we're planning on Lunafreya Nox Flueret with Nyx Ulric and YoRHa 2B with 9S in the future!
>>
My BF is 100% normie (despite being half Japanese) but he likes dressing up in stupid costumes sometimes. He sees it as something fun and silly.
>>
I tend to focus on getting into relationships with other cosplayers, if they don't like it, it's not going to work out since cosplay is a HUGE part of my life.
>>
>>9176773
C-C-Cocaine!
>>
>>9176773
SO....
Lol I'm foreveralone
>>
>>9185996
you'll soon find someone
>>
My SO doesn't like Kawaii Goods and doesn't want me to wear her clothes. :(
>>
Mine doesn't like it all, tells me they don't like the thought of other people looking at me in costumes. I feel like my whole life is being controlled and I have to change to make other people happy.
>>
>>9179205
lol, enjoy being alone cuck
>>
>>9188359
break up with him
>>
>>9181014
a dude wouldnt get any attention for cosplay regardless, why would he expect attention?
>>
>>9176773
Ex didn't like cosplay and wasn't too happy about me being into it.
She saw it as a form of depersonalization and said you should always dress in an original way rather than trying to look like something you are not, and following someone else designs as references. Obviously was even harsher on people that tried to get in character while cosplaying, and any kind of related roleplay.
She admired the craftmanship aspect of it, and probably because of that she tolerated it being my hobbie, but always had a negative attitute whenever we talked about it.
Having a SO that is into cosplay and doing it together is one of those silly romantic things I fear I'll never do before getting too old.
>>
bump to save due to spam
>>
>>9176773
My right hand is very into cosplay, I always take them to cons!
>>
>>9188359
Dump.
>>
>>9188359
A little bit of jelousy is always cute, but as soon as it gets big enought to get you into fights it stops being cute and starts being a lack of trust issue.
If your so actually has tried to make you stop cosplaying (specially if some sort of blackmailing is involved) dump the fuck out of them.
>>
>>9179126
No one took the bait, but I'll acknowledge it for you.
>>
My bf is neutral for the most part, but as we get older, I can tell he's getting kinda tired of it. He's weird about wigs, it's really annoying. As in, be doesn't mind costumes, but he doesn't like when I wear wigs. Idk, I chalk some of it up to cultural differences. He's from a conservative country where this kinda thing is almost non-existant, so he's just not used to it. I do what I want though.
>>
My boyfriend has only 1 costume, a Dark Souls one that he wears for every con. It's a nice one, though. He improves it and adds variations each time.

But, he loves the 2hu and anime costumes I make and wear. And, well, he likes me to wear them in private, too.
>>
My boyfriend is kind of antisocial and doesn't really like/is indifferent to cons or the con scene, but he's happy to support me and he's starting to not mind the idea of coming to cons with me on the terms that he gets to make fun of the bad cosplays. He's super introverted and gets anxiety in populated areas sometimes so his willingness really means a lot.

I share who I want to cosplay with him and make sure that he feels okay with the ones that show more skin (like 999's Lotus) and he's always okay with it because we have insanely good trust/communication.

Unfortunately he doesn't give a shit about dressing up himself and I'd feel too bad bullying him into a couple's cosplay but I'm honestly incredibly happy with how everything is already. He is probably one of the most considerate people I've met and I couldn't be happier.
>>
File: 24118240841_d1fcd83761_z.jpg (81KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
24118240841_d1fcd83761_z.jpg
81KB, 640x422px
This is a great topic! Me and my wife have been a team for a good part of the last 9 years or so. We just started back up competing and it's brought us closer together than ever. We enter with 2 cosplays (sometimes 4 if my kids want to compete too). She is a much better sewer than I am so she handles most cloth. I do all of the props and leatherwork and usually we meet in the middle. We originally met in Otakon years ago and it really helped establish a common interest. I would highly recommend getting your SO involved in the hobby because it really does bring you closer. I understand this is not always the case, but at least give it a try.
>>
>>9188359
Stick with him, he knows what's best
>>
>>9188890
How's that 12 year old logic holding up for you?

I almost always trump my sister when it comes to cosplay because time and effort go into mine and she was mostly doing store bought until recently.

There've been a number of times when I was in my big costumes and she was politely shuffled to the side for my pics
>>
bamp
>>
File: 1301823484945.jpg (422KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1301823484945.jpg
422KB, 700x800px
She's more than alright with it

She always helps me with making our costumes, and we're always in matching outfits when we go to cons, although she doesn't wear much in most coords
I don't think I've ever been to a con without her

I think it helps with our relationship that we've been together pretty much since forever, even before our relationship got sexual, so we have a whole lifetime of shared interests keeping us together...and the naughty stuff helps
There's nothing quite going back to your room after a long day in costume, and jumping into the raunchy stuff without even taking it off first

Too bad I broke my wrist a week ago, now she's completely paralyzed
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.