[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handmade Lolita Thread-Spooky Fabric edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 18

File: 11683596.jpg (324KB, 1200x1360px) Image search: [Google]
11683596.jpg
324KB, 1200x1360px
We haven't had a handmade thread exclusively for lolita in a while. And it's about time to be starting Halloween-inspired dresses, right?

>pic related from JoAnns, similar to one anons liked last year

>Lolita-suitable mainstream patterns doc, in case anyone needs it
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19oovyXiKYiGmywqOPJAWeE1DLvP9_buEltWijvAgSwk/edit#gid=0
>>
File: 15032386.jpg (1MB, 1200x1360px) Image search: [Google]
15032386.jpg
1MB, 1200x1360px
And some owls.
>>
If anyone is making witch hats, please share. I love them so much and I'm about to start on my own.
>>
I posted the skirt I made with that fabric here

>>>9147426
They didn't bring it back this year. I'm disappointed since I wanted to try making an improved one.
>>
>>9174863
I can't tell if it's the same fabric or not, but I did pull the OP image straight from the website just now.
>>
>>9174870
It is, but it's only available in store and nothing comes up even remotely close to my location.
>>
>>9174886
Does anyone have the article number for this fabric? I work at joanns and could probably figure out how to get some
>>
>>9175208
http://www.joann.com/holiday-inspirations-fabric-scary-night/11683596.html
>>
What are you guys working on right now?
>>
Has anyone made anything glow in the dark?
>>
File: IMG_4621.jpg (122KB, 665x547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4621.jpg
122KB, 665x547px
I found these two fabric pieces today. I'm thinking of making empire-waisted JSK and an OP, but don't know which one to use on which.
>>
Thanks for the link OP, I was looking for a simplicity princess-seamed pattern (they are $1.99 at Joanns this weekend) for a non-loli related costume and this helped an oodle.

simplicity has a 'Lolita and Rockabilly" pattern which I took a look at expecting some kind of ita hell but... it's not actually terrible?
>>
>>9177387
The purple is fucking hideous anon...
>>
>>9177414
It's not a terrible pattern. I could imagine tweaking the bodice a bit, and maybe adding more volume to the skirt depending on how wide the hem is.
>>
File: dumbbunnyandcat.jpg (592KB, 1331x767px) Image search: [Google]
dumbbunnyandcat.jpg
592KB, 1331x767px
>>9175815
Making outfits for dolls. yeeeaaaahhhh
>>
>>9177458
What's so hideous about it?
>>
>>9177387
Use the purple for the empire-waist since it already looks like mumu fabric.
>>
>>9177471
Are you making those dresses for them? Please post it here when you're done, they look so cute already!
>>
>>9177462
I was sold until that fucking bonnet pic like what the actual fuck.
>>
>>9177525
>>
needs more plaid
>>
Slightly OT, but goddamn i hate when online fabric retailers don't give you an idea of the scale of the pattern. Like yeah, I like to have the close up of the print so i can see what the detail is like, but is it a 5cm repeated print, 50cm, a meter!? It really gets my goat. Do you gulls get frustrated by this too, or is it more of a pet peeve of mine?
>>
>>9177414
How are the sleeves attached on the real pattern? In >>9177462 they hardly look attached at all.
I wouldn't mind having this pattern to play around with but as far as I've seen, shipping to Europe is at least 3x the price of the pattern...
>>
>>9178440

I'm not sure. I can take a look when I head to the fabric store after work. Patterns at Joanns are $2 ea today
>>
>>9178440
They're attached, just really retarded
>>
>>9177414
I've only seen this made once and it was in the ita thread, the main part was that fabric that's 100% covered in cats and the rest was hot pink (I think?) I'd like to see it done well.
>>
File: UT8606f.jpg (61KB, 719x253px) Image search: [Google]
UT8606f.jpg
61KB, 719x253px
If you have access to an embroidery machine or are very patient with hand embroidery Urban Threads has some stunning spoopy designs.

http://www.urbanthreads.com/products.aspx?productid=UTP1254
>>
>>9179644
Those are really cute, curse my lack of an embroidery machine.
>>
File: UTZ2017.jpg (120KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
UTZ2017.jpg
120KB, 300x417px
>>9179644
oh my god imagine this as a fucking Dracula dress with embroidery where most would expect a border print
>>
>>9179829
someone do this please
>>
>>9177482
not that anon but your pic makes it look like it was dyed with purple highlighter ink. maybe it's not that saturated IRL, but if it is...it's pretty garish. the colour in your pic is pretty much old lady muumuu/housedress purple.

if you really love it, find a way to work it in as an accent colour. but I would not personally use it as the primary fabric of a main piece.
>>
>>9178390
I hate this too. How hard is it to put a ruler on for scale?
>>
>>9179829
Where is this from?
>>
>>9177462
I've been looking everywhere for a 3F style bonnet tutorial and this here surprisingly seems like the best one yet. Would need resizing of course, since it looks downright ridiculous on that model, but at least it doesn't use straw or freaking cardboard as a base like the ones on lolita blogs.

I've never seen millinery wire around here but I suppose it could be substituted with coated copper wire, couldn't it?
>>
Dumb question, but when you add pockets to a skirt, is the pocket supposed to lie in the layer between the skirt and lining, or does it go under both? And if the latter, how am I supposed to sew that?
>>
For in-seam pockets it lies between the lining and skirt. Here is a helpful link:

http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/pocket-techniques/
>>
I am a noob with some questions. Been lurking a few months; apologies if I sound retarded.

What are your preferred fabrics for making lolita main pieces? I know the common sense rule of "if it's shiny or looks/feels cheap, don't use it." But beyond that, what do you like to use - cotton, polyester, cotton/poly blend, other? What about specific types or weaves? Do you have a preference for solids or prints? How adventurous do you get with fabric choices?

My other questions are about crochet. A friend is teaching me crochet, and at some point I'd like to try making some lace or a cardigan or some other lolita-related project. But I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for loliable crochet projects that are at or close to beginner level.

Do any of you crochet lolita accessories? What kinds of things do you make? Any ideas for beginner projects? Or should I stick to cat toys and afghans til I get my power level up?
>>
>>9184039
I'm a bit of a snob, but I think that unless you're crocheting lace garments, a blanket, or a stuffed animal, crochet looks so dowdy. Learn to knit if you want to make cardigans.
>>
>>9184097
I agree, that's why I'm having trouble finding something entry-level that I can get excited about. I have seen enough frumpy-ass granny-square shit made with cheap Red Heart yarn to last me the rest of my life. And then I've seen some really amazing shit done with finer yarns and crochet threads.
>>
>>9184111
have you checked ravelry.com? you need to sign up, but it's free and there's a shit ton of free patterns
>>
>>9184119
I have not, I will do that. Thank you!
>>
>>9184120
it also has a really awesome and though search system. and it shows what people have done with the patterns (so if you're on the larger side or busty, there's a possibility to see how the pattern looks on someone similar)
>>
Can anyone recommend a rectangle headdress tutorial? I've only been able to find badly drawn paint tutorials, and I'm too stupid to follow those. I get the impression it's a rather simple DIY.
>>
>>9184134
it's basically a lace sandwich.
>>
File: hdhowto.jpg (810KB, 1308x1800px) Image search: [Google]
hdhowto.jpg
810KB, 1308x1800px
>>9184144
>>
>>9179829
I know what I'm doing this weekend.
>>
>>9184039
like another anon said, crochet is rather unfitting for whole garments because of its structural nature. however, i crochet my own lace and sew it onto my projects! a simple lace shouldn't be too hard to pick up. crochet should also be acceptable for little, practical accessories like gloves or pochettes. i would suggest picking up knit at some point if your goal is a nice cardigan. iirc, the egl livejournal has a diy masterpost that refers to knit, crochet, and sewing.
>>
>>9184171
adding that if you crochet and find knitting difficult, try knitting continental style.
>>
>>9184171
>>9184171
>i crochet my own lace and sew it onto my projects
livin the dream
Do you have anywhere you keep track of your projects online that I can follow? And do you have any resources on crochet lace, or do you come up with the patterns yourself? I'd really like to get into crocheting lace and accessories since there are so many more possibilities than with knitting, but for some reason I simply cannot into crochet.
>>
>>9184039
On fabrics, any type of fabric content will work if it has the appropriate drape and hand for a project. What matters about the content is where and how you're using it. Natural fibers (obviously cotton is included in this) breathe better, which makes them great for summer and hot climates. Even wool is preferable to polyester on hot days, at least for me. OTOH, polyester and poly blends wrinkle a lot less than natural fibers, which can make upkeep easier.

Personally I like to sew with solids, throwing in a gingham or floral every once in a while. But nothing beats solids for class and simplicity.
>>
Where do you guys buy fabrics online?
I live in the US, but only have one fabric store in the area (no Joann here) and it's pretty expensive, and mostly ugly, busy prints. looking for a place to buy cute printed fabrics that are not too busy (I already know of pikobeagle on etsy).

I wish I bought more where I lived before, tons of stores in a designated area, and you can find nice fabrics at $4/yard...
>>
>>9184254
fabric.com for general shit. etsy for Japanese fabric.
>>
>>9177471
Please tell me you sell these...
>>
>>9184144
>>9184148
Thank you, anon! This was exactly what I was looking for.
>>
File: image.png (939KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
939KB, 640x1136px
>>9184290
I will be as soon as they have clothes haha
>>
What are reasonable prices for well made hand made items? Let's assume the quality is professional and the designs are good. Interested in how you would price the following:

Hair bows
Jsks
Wrist cuffs
OPs

Thanks!
>>
>>9184623
So much of the pricing would depend on the complexity of the designs and the materials used. It'd be much easier to give you a ballpark if you gave us some examples.
>>
>>9184623
>not doing any research

seriously. google 'pricing handmade'

it's materials+(time*hourly rate) and the usually x2 to start
>>
i need help with custom printed fabric in bulk,i was thinking ill just settle with spoonflower but its just the pricing of it thats throwing me off,also what exact type of fabric should i get-im going for something like the calico fabric from hobby lobby but i dont know much about fabric and have already tried googleing it too
>>
>>9184494
how much will you be selling these for,how big are they and can i get a link to your store i need them so much,you should also make keychain size that would be so cute!
>>
>>9184646

Uh you don't think that pricing baby booties or some shit might be slightly different than pricing lolita shit?
>>
>>9184662
>assuming that sewing a fucking bow or wrist cuff is harder than baby booties
>not actually doing the formula

I gave you a decent start. You can mark it up after that. If you can't fucking figure it out, you're probably not cut out for selling shit.

bow
materials - $1
time 15 minutes at rate of $20/hr - $5
$6*2= $12 base price then you mark that shit up x2 again $24
>>
>>9184657
No idea yet, but at least $75. They're about 16 inches tall, not including ears. Keychain size is good idea. :) i would need to tweak the pattern though.
>>
>>9179829
>>9179644
Has anyone used these?
>>
>>9183959
I've used galvanized aluminium wire in the past instead, though these guys sell it:
>http://corsetmaking.com/category/hat-wire.html

>>9184039
There's nice patterns out there, though hard to find - Japan seems the be the one place that actually has new patterns that are nice and not awful 60s shit. I've got some scans around, I'll see about doing a file dump or something.

Fabric-wise, cottons, silks, wool and wool/poly blends. The airflow is better, and I like using dye techniques, which mostly only work on natural fibers.

Current projects - Fleur Antoinette-styled OP for a friend, short-sleeved blouse to go with my AatP Halloween JSK for me. Though I have fabric for a bunch more stuff waiting.
>>
>>9185537
>file dump or something
that would be sweet, thank you
>>
>>9174856
Joann amon here. A handful of stores still have this, so you can get it by store transfer to any store.
>>
>>9185936
Really? I'll have to see if my JoAnn's can get a few yards of it.
>>
>>9174857
Aww I love this!
>>
I messed up my blouse and now it is only waist length. What is the best way to make it longer (about 10+cm)? I don't have any spare fabric and the weave is not the usual one so using another fabrics would catch the eye. If there's no good way to do it I will just use it with JSKs
>>
>>9187465
Thick cotton lace over a similar fabric maybe? Like a layer of 2 ruffles. The lace could distract from the other fabric, possibly?
>>
File: IMG_20160917_120507.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160917_120507.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
I found this fabric in a local store, and I was thinking about doing a simple OP or jsk dress with it, but I'm not sure about the other fabric I want to use for the bodice. I hesitate between a plain fabric of the same color or a velvet of the same color , what should I use ?
>>
Where can purchase lace, that's appropriate for lolita DIYs? I've tried eBay and Aliexpress, but I can't find anything appropriate. I'd prefer to purchase it within bulk, such as 10+ yards. I can't buy lace (or any sort of craft materials) locally as I live in a very rural setting. Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>>9178440
Coscraft stock it in the uk
>>
>>9188682
laces.taobao has brand lace replicas. eBay is actually pretty good too if you know what specific type of lace you want. Link below is my most recent purchase for reference, I probably could've gotten it cheaper off Taobao, but I needed it on short notice and didn't want to bother with a SS.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191864987265?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
>>
>>9188638
How thick/warm is the fabric? I think brown velvet would be nice with this but if the fabric is thin, it might not look as good. Velvet pretty much makes it a winter dress so you'll have to ask yourself if that's where you want to go with it.
>>
>>9188682
I like Etsy. There's a store called lacewholesalers or something that sells nice lace in bulk, as well as plenty of others that sell by the yard. They're mostly Taobao resellers but the markup isn't that high and it's easier than going through a SS imo.
>>
>>9188638
agreeing with >>9189007,
if its a thick fabric, a brown velvet bodice maybe with more of it used in a band or an insert at the hem would be adorable!
>>
>>9185542
Here we go - sorry it's sort of big, the rips are mostly jpeg scans. There's a lot of nice lace edgings in there though, and some surprisngly-decent sweaters.
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/vok8gggwk5tazjn/crochet.zip?dl=0
>>
>>9189167
>>9189007
The fabric is pretty thick ( I found it in the furniture section ), and I prefer to wear it for winter/autumn so it's perfect, thank you for those ideas anons!
>>
Let's talk DIY printing. Assuming I only want to print one colour around a border in a classic Moite style, what would be a cheap and good way of doing this by hand? Block prints?
>>
>>9190309
Block printing will be cheapest but give slightly 'distressed' looking results, as it's nearly impossible to get perfect transfer.

Screenprinting has a little bit more in the way of start-up costs (emulsion kit, screen, squeegee) but it's surprisingly easy to learn, and the results are super-crisp. I'd really like to do some gothic Moitie style prints but I need to find someone to collab with first because while I have the the technical skills and supplies, I'm balls at drawing/design.
>>
File: SpoonFlower_ColorMap_2-1.png (2MB, 6000x5400px) Image search: [Google]
SpoonFlower_ColorMap_2-1.png
2MB, 6000x5400px
Have any of you printed from Spoonflower before? I'm wanting to make some custom prints for DIY but I do not know which of their fabrics is best to use. It is hella expensive to do this, so I want to make sure I'm getting the best fabric for a decent price that doesn't gouge my paychecks. I've got student loans to pay back!
>>
>>9190604
Seconding this, but surely there's something better than Spoonflower? I've seen things from them and it just reminds me of Bodyline in quality, where it's thin and the print isn't incredibly vibrant.
>>
>>9190604
Spoonflower's only good for lighter color prints because everything gets printed on white fabric. You will never get a true black.

Swatches are only $5, so my advice is test it out on their Poplin and or Silky Faille.
>>
>>9190627
I'm sure there are certainly other custom fabric places, but I'm assuming they require you to purchase in bulk. Spoonflower allows you to buy as little as a quarter yard, which is why it is so expensive. Also, from what I've heard, their black isn't a pure black (more like a dark grey) and that it also depends on the fabric choice you choose.
>>
>>9190380
That's a really good idea, thanks for this post. Do you have a recommendation for where to start with screenprinting?
>>
>>9191766
I buy most of my supplies from Dharam Trading, but Amazon and good art supply stores will carry all this stuff, too. Starting supplies:
> Photo emulsion + sensitizer (Speedball has a $20 kit, mine was good for 6 or 7 screens iirc)
> Screen (~$20, depends on size)
> Squeegee (~$10)
> Ink (~$6, I've had good results with both Speedball and Jacquard)

And then something to print on, a bright light (you can use the sun, but I just got a 100W-equiv CFL bulb from Home Depot), and your source art with a clear bg - if you have a laser printer, you can get transparency paper, or get it printed at a print shop, or just draw on clear film with an opaque marker if you have art skills.

The photo emulsion kit comes with pretty decent instructions for use, and there's a ton of youtube video tutorials. I did find the instructions listed a longer exposure time than I needed (45min versus 25min), and overexposing makes screens hard-to-impossible to wash out. I found a good article about how to test for the right exposure time, I'll try to dig it up again. One exposure of the screen will be good for a ton of prints, and the kit has solution to wash the emulsion out of the screen so you can put new emulsion in and do new art - I did five or six different exposures on my screen before it hit the point where I was having trouble getting it clean enough again (also, the wood frames start to warp after you get them wet washing and scrubbing a bunch of times).

Jacquard and Speedball both have full kits with all the hardware too, but the ink colors included are only bright primaries - might work out cheaper, though.
>>
File: lMsSnOsTQ.jpg (119KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
lMsSnOsTQ.jpg
119KB, 1024x576px
>>9191867
Found the article:
>http://www.printcutsew.com/613/feeling-exposed/

Also, cosplay rather than lolita, but pic was my very first test print, to give you an idea of quality.
>>
Lining tips? I'm trying to line a bodice, and it's killing me. There has got to be a better way of attaching a lining than just handsewing the whole thing.
>>
>>9192036
Why are you hand sewing the entire lining, anon? You should only have to hand sew the bottom edge of the lining if you're trying to encase all raw edges. I'm honestly confused as to why you think you need to hand sew it all. Perhaps listing your steps would help us identify your problem. Here's the steps I take to assemble a JSK:

1) Sew together all pieces of the fashion layer, leaving open the seam where you'll install the zipper.
2) Sew together all pieces of the lining layer, also leaving open the zipper seam.
3) Assemble straps. Sew to fashion layer of the bodice at front (and back if the straps aren't adjustable).
4) Sew lining and bodice together at the top only.
5) Sew skirt to bodice fashion layer.
6) Insert zipper.
7) Hand sew bodice lining to the seam in between the bodice fashion layer and the skirt. Fold up your raw edge, pin it, and use a slipstitch. Your stitches will ideally end up on the raw edge of the skirt that's being encased in the bodice, and you won't have any stitches visible from the outside.
>>
>>9192079
Or if you're making a sleeveless bodice: http://www.sewmelove.com/2011/10/tutorial-how-to-sew-lining-in.html?m=1
>>
>>9191876
That's amazing. I will definitely look into this!
>>
File: screenprinting.jpg (483KB, 1906x1094px) Image search: [Google]
screenprinting.jpg
483KB, 1906x1094px
>>9193611
>>9191876
>>9191867
>>9191766
>>9190380
>>9190309
Yo, made a thing.
Next time, you can just post this handy dandy macro instead of typing all of your tips out.
>>
How well would it work to buy cheap bodyline dresses and then modify them a bit? (changing straps, adding/removing bows/lace, adding embroidery)
I'm quite unexperienced at making clothes and that seems easier
>>
>>9198553
Depends on the dress, but it can definitely work. Of course you can't fix bad fabric choice, but I've seen people do nice things with their solid cotton pieces. Sometimes removing bows and bad lace is all that's needed to turn it into a really decent dress.
>>
>>9189769
Not that anon, but thank you! These are wonderful.
>>
>>9179829

If only I had a 6 x 10 embroidery field...
>>
>>9179644

I love the Ghost Baroque pack. It was the first one I ever bought from UT. I just wish the designs weren't so thread heavy in the 4 x 4 design range.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (201KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
201KB, 1500x1500px
Anyone can attest to the quality of the cheap berets on ebay? I wanna buy some to diy them.
>>
>>9207389

They're all right. A little on the floppy side but honestly any new beret under $40-50 will be. They're good for DIY and a lot of taobao indie shops use those cheap berets anyways to make the grosgrain ribbon and glass pearl creations you see, so go for it. It's cheap and you don't have to regret messing up an expensive beret.
>>
I can never seem to find really high quality fabric and lace anywhere. Just overpriced or cheap shit. Can anyone recommend a webshop in the EU?
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.