[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley: Summers Over Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 34

File: 1415027850793.jpg (175KB, 736x505px) Image search: [Google]
1415027850793.jpg
175KB, 736x505px
Old one is auto-saging again >>9153766

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing

Now that a lot of the bigger cons are done this season:
>what did well for you, what would you do differently?
>post some great/terrible AA stories
>>
Can we please get some business resources such as tax related stuff? Its hard to find stuff through google since most people have permanent locations they sell at, unlike us, who travel to sell.
Almost every thread someone asks about this too.
>>
>>9172227

I think there are some resources on AANI if you havent already looked. I'm not sure how good they are but yeah they are there. But I think adding a good resource to the OP would be good as well
>>
>>9172227
The harder part about taxes is it varies to such a wide degree by state and the income you're having from AA, as well as keeping accurate records for expenses you can write off against profits gained.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 528x960px
>>9172233
Speaking of AANI, does anyone know a place where we can talk about shit that's /actually/ related to AA's? AANI is basically just an art and meme sharing group filled with weebs, plushie mass manufacturers who act like they're superior to people who draw, and art theft vigilante wannabes. Pic related is the average art quality in AANI now.
>>
>>9172295
What's wrong with just using this thread or /cgl/?
>>
>>9172298
fb groups are easier to track and keep a record of things. it would be nice to have a more selective page.
>>
File: charms.jpg (198KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
charms.jpg
198KB, 1200x900px
Just received my samples from Vograce today! They turned out way better than I expected, I'm leaning towards the opaque ones.
>>
>>9172438

I personally dont like any of the opaque charms as much as the clear acrylic but thats 100% my own preference.
For yours specifically I think Mei and dva look good as all opaque but I dont like the mercy and genji as much(? i dont play overwatch or follow it so sorry if I messed up the names). The reason for this is because with the bottom two their design allows for a more hugging stroke of color, while the others especially the genji have large blobs of color.

Again all just my own bias, you dont have to listen to me at all. If you like the colored opaque ones more, go for it anon!
>>
>>9172438
The art itself is cute but the green bg makes the food look really unappetizing on Genjis.
>>
>>9172438
Something to consider: I'm really unhappy about the quality of Vograce's clear charms in the long run. I got some in May and one of them has been on my keys since then. It's got some big chips (about 1mm) in the middle and the edge of the print has started chipping away really bad on all sides.
The print quality is nice but they really don't last. Shame, especially since they cost more to make.

That said I really like your opaque charms! I think the coloured border actually makes your artwork pop more. Very cute!
>>
>>9172478
I thought with the clear vograce charms they print the image itself on a piece of paper and sandwich it between two clear acrylic pieces? So I dont understand how the edge of the print could chip away on yours
>>
>>9172482
The opaque ones are paper sandwiched between acrylic. The clear ones just have the artwork printed directly onto one side of the acrylic.
>>
Sorry if there is a guide for starting out that outline this sort of stuff, but I can't really find one and also think it would be interesting to hear from multiple people but I am thinking of starting to do artist alleys sometime new year during my gap year so these are the main things I am wondering about
>over a con weekend what is the general amount of prints sold?
>does this number differentiate greatly between the size or the con?
>do you find you have a larger turn over of smaller items such as stickers/badges that make them worth it?
>do many people bother with original character artworks and if so do they sell?
>do you find classics, naruto, ouran high, ect, flavours of the season/year or popular characters sell better?
>is offering commissions worth it? I feel like con-goers are the type to pull out
>do you find you get time to do smaller on the day commissions/portraits without getting overwhelmed?
>>
Thanks everyone for the input!
>>9172443
I see what you mean by the blobs of color, thanks for pointing that out! I might try to find a way around it when I print more of these, and any other future charms!
>>9172445
It was initially a more desaturated green, Coco seems to have changed some of the colors a little when she made the mockups. What color do you think would look better?
>>9172478
Would getting them with resin on both sides of the clear charms help preserve them?
>>
>>9172438
I really want to buy your charms! I like the opaque ones for all of them. I know one anon said the green makes it look unappetizing, but I don't think so. I like the color pop a lot. The only one that looks nicer transparent is Mei's, I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (111KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 600x600px
I wasn't sure where to ask but I thought this thread could be a good bet. Does anyone know where to make custom round plush keychains like in pic related? Do I need to custom print fabric and sew them myself?

I'd like to sell some fan made ones but am having a hard time googling what these are even called since I'm unsure if they even have a common name. Any and all help is very much appreciated!
>>
>>9172514
Is there another color associated with him more? If it's possible for them to keep the color desaturated, a matcha green would be easier on the eyes and less slimey.
>>
>>9172514
They are printed on one side only so you can resin that side. That's why a lot of people have resin on their clear charms, to prevent scratching. The resin though will yellow over time so it's a pick your poison situation if you do vograce.
>>
>>9172514
>>9172644
Maybe a really light green?
>>
>>9172645
Can you resin the back side of charms (the side where it's printed)? I've been thinking of doing that to some charms I bought.
>>
>>9172514
>>9172645
Back when I ordered them I don't think epoxy was even an option on the clear ones. But I just took another look at the listing, and you can epoxy them, but it looks like they now also have the option to have the clear print sandwiched between two layers of acrylic. So that would solve all problems, I guess!
>>
>>9172585
My guess would probably be dango or manju plush. You'll probably have to custom print fabric through artmoo or spoonflower
>>
>>9172585
They're omanjuus by ensky (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00055926). They're official licensed merchandise so it'd be hard to get these custom made unless you want to order custom print fabric, fill them up, and sew them.

But like with the kotobukiya straps someone mentioned before, I'm very ambivalent about copying the style for such an iconic merch...
>>
>>9172585
You have to be really careful how you stylize the faces on these or they'll end up looking like those ugly as sin American licensed plushies.
>>
Those who have sold at ALA, how was your last experience with staff, customers, profits, etc?

I'm thinking of signing up for that instead of Sacanime Winter this time around.
>>
>>9172778
I've heard that generally ALA's sells are really good. Not sure how people did after the move to Ontario.

I want to sign up too. I live super close to the con so I wouldn't even need a hotel for the con. Just pay for parking.
>>
>>9172703
that's what i said. you can resin/epoxy the side they print on
>>
>>9172497
There's a lot of advice at these sites though they might not answer all your questions:
> http://www.artistalleysurvivalguide.com/
> http://howtobeaconartist.tumblr.com/

Also, you can try searching the AANI fb group.
>>
>>9172555
If you're interested, I'll make a post on my tumblr (milkaron.tumblr.com) when I've set up my online store.
>>
>>9172295
I'm ngl, I get pretty annoyed when I see shit like this being posted and it gets likes and my work ends up being buried under the garbage. Not saying I'm the best artist in the world because that's not true at all but the quality of work is definitely starting to deteriorate. Now I'm honestly surprised when I see something that's really well-made
>>
>>9172497
I'm not a print heavy artist, so I'll sell on average 5-10 of each print at a con.

yes. Small cons I may sell 2-3 vs the 5-15 at a large con

>do you find you have a larger turn over of smaller items such as stickers/badges that make them worth it?
depends on what sells well. I have buttons/acrylic keychains and some will sell out instantly at one con and not at the next.
Overall I'd say they're worth it. There are people that don't like to buy prints and will buy smaller things.

That one depends on a lot of factors:
-cons that have a 50/50 or all original policy would do better for selling OC work
-your skills as an artist
-what you're selling (original plush tend to do well)
-what attendees are looking for/like

>do you find classics, naruto, ouran high, ect, flavours of the season/year or popular characters sell better?
Again, that depends.
I feel like you need a bit of classics and flavours (I see you're either British or Canadian as well) of the year.
I have both old series like Cowboy Bebop and new things like Undertale and feel that they both sell well.
I find customers that find classic series that aren't drawn as much in the AA tend to be super excited to buy something though.

>is offering commissions worth it? I feel like con-goers are the type to pull out
this was in the last thread, but only do it:
-if it doesn't affect your ability to sell to customers that come to the table.
-if you can do them quickly and well. Doesn't make sense to only get one done a day for the extra couple bucks

>do you find you get time to do smaller on the day commissions/portraits without getting overwhelmed?
depends on the con. Yes for smaller quieter cons, but I can't get commissions done when the con is bigger/busier.
>>
Can we do story time? I love hearing AA tales.
>>
When do you make that switch from part time AA to full time? I'm struggling with motivation for keeping my part time job but I don't think I do enough $$ at cons to realistically quit even though a con a month would most likely cover bills.
>>
>>9172719
Thanks for the advice!

>>9172721
>>9172731
I'm personally not going to be mimicking or copying the drawing style of these, I was more curious about how to make them overall as I intended to make some for video game characters. Regardless I don't believe I could draw similarly anyway even if I tried x_x. I understand even using the ball shape is iffy so I'm considering another shape or at least for it to be flat instead. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>9173274
I'm quiting my part time job this month actually. Make sure you keep very close track of your finances and make sure you have plenty of conventions lined up to keep you busy. You just make the switch as soon as you feel comfortable honestly.
>>
>>9172704
>but it looks like they now also have the option to have the clear print sandwiched between two layers of acrylic.
Holyshit is that true? That would be awesome. I ordered some charms last month and I was very pleased with the printing quality as the other anon said. But if I can make them more durable then that would be great.
>>
Anyone got into Katsucon? How were the sales last year?
>>
I mostly sell plushies, however I can answer it the best that I can

I sell the odd bookmarks and badges here and there. I would sell anywhere between 5-15 all weekend.

Not really (though I stick to small-med cons), it depends on what the print is to be honest.

I sell mainly those types next to my major seller. I sell them for next to nothing; $2/discontinued $1/ 4 for $3, bookmarks; $2/ 3 for $5). Though the time it takes to get them drawn, printed, and processed it's major profit.

Some artists do OCs however it has to be in a certain style/theme (i.e. Fantasy, Steampunk, Cyber, etc). I've tried selling OCs and they didn't pick up nor sold at all.

For the younger/weeb crowds yes; for the older crowds no. Since Pokemon Go was/is popular, most of my plushies and print-like works were pokemon and they sold like hot cakes.

Frankly, if you want to draw Black Lagoon, Sorcerer Hunter, Black Jack, Voltron, or any series and style you want then go for it. There will be someone that will like it or be joyous because you could be the only one to sell that particular series. I'd recommend a little bit of everything.

>is offering commissions worth it? I feel like con-goers are the type to pull out.
Comms are worth it when you want to do something or get your creativity going. I suck at comms so I don't bother with it.

When I did comms, I find badges easiest cause it's small and don't end up using up all of your supplies
>>
>>9172497
i need to keep better records, but i would estimate 150-80. Mostly smaller prints but I have a couple very popular A3s i sell 25-30 copies of each con.
yes, but proportionately. If I got to a con three times the size of the smaller ones I attend, i usually sell three times as much... most of the time

I had sticker sheets that went ok, going to try individual stickers and see how they go. Badges are extremely popular and its rare that someone doesn't pick up a few to go with whatever else they're buying (charm, print etc)

I have a few OC prints and they sell ok, but probably only 1/4 as successfully as my fanart prints. The ones that have an obvious theme (monster girls) sell better.

Popular stuff sells better at more general cons (where you get a lot of families or casuals), but more niche cons you can do just as well with whatever you sell as long as it's more or less aligned with the theme of the convention.

my friends who do comms make decent profit off it. I'm not fast working traditionally and I usually don't have a helper so I usually don't bother, but if cons are slow i'll make a quick sign and do some.

I only offer b&w inked chibis or headshots which generally take 15-30 mins
>>
>9172497

Depends, the usual range is 5-20 copies of a design

>does this number differentiate greatly between the size of the con?
It's usually proportional, the bigger the con the bigger the sales.

Definitely, I have around 50ish button designs and people sometimes buy 10-15 at a time. Stickers I'm still pretty new at, I have less turnover of those so far.

It'll really depend on the artist and the content. I have done some original prints of monsters and a chimera and it was a hot seller. I find that of you go original, cute pretty much tops everything.

Flavors of the year sell really well, but you can get stuck with leftover stock if you catch the popularity wave too late. Some older fans might still appreciate older stuff but it's hit or miss depending on the source.

>is offering commissions worth it? I feel like con-goers are the type to pull out.
If you're able to work fast go for it! I personally only offer cheap joke doodles since I can't be bothered to-do serious commissions anymore, and I work a bit slow. It takes me like a minute or two so I can hand it off to the customer right away.
>>
>>9172778
I felt that my sales slowed down in Ontario, but I'm not sure if that's also dependent on booth placement or because it's now split with the exhibitor hall. It's still worth attending if you're local and want to fill your schedule with decent cons.
>>
>>9172798
>>9173805
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually local to the Bay Area so I'd have to find a place to stay in Ontario. It's just that last Sac Winter sales seemed to be incredibly lackluster for everyone I talked to, so I was thinking of passing it up this coming year.
>>
>>9173106
Thanks, I'll give those a look too.
>>9173175
>>9173682
>>9173710
>>9173727
Thank you all so much for this, its exactly the sort of general information I wanted to get started. I was interested to find everyone had the same opinion on themed original content, i might try to make food gijinkas to appeal to the cutesy buyers and monster/horror girls for those who want sex appeal because they are what are fun to draw far me. I'll definitely bother with smaller items and will keep my source material popularity in mind. Again thank you all for taking your time to write your responses out.
>>
I've been wanting to sell kiss-cut sticker sheets, should I sell them individually or in sets of two sheets or something? Selling just one sheets feels kind of silly but idk
>>
Hey guys, for vograce, can you place the hole yourself in your file and give that to Vograce? Coco keeps messing up my background and placing holes in random places. I can't get her to understand me. So I'd rather place the hole myself (what is the hole size anyway?) and show her, but I can't even get her to understand this. Any help please?
>>
>>9174084
unless they're of the same fandom/theme (this sounds obvious but you never know) sell them individually. Even if you sell packs it's not a terrible idea to offer each sheet individually.
>>
>>9174112
the files i submitted had a layer with a little X marking where i want the hole and named the layer "hole placement", and when i got the outlines, the holes were in the places i had marked them to be
>>
>>9174118
She keeps wanting the background to be on a separate layer and expands it until it's to the point of being ugly. I also marked where i wanted the hole to be but that didn't work... When you do that anon, does vograce just put the hole and be done with it or do they still extend the background layer to compensate for the hole size?
>>
so just curious, because I was recently talking to a friend who also does AA, do you guys still actively purchase from the AA now that you're sellers as well? The only difference in my AA spending habits is now some of the items I get are from trades and I buy original art more frequently. My friend says she never buys from the AA anymore, and only does trades if she is asked.
>>
>>9174128
I still actively buy but only if i find something I like. It's not so much that i don't like merchandise or posters ~anymore~ so much that over time i've been to so many cons and seen so much of the same art that there's not much new that entices me anymore that i haven't already bought.

Every so often though i do spot an artist who only goes to one con or something a year, that i've never seen before with a unique style and subject matter i actually like, and then i'll active ask to trade or buy, whichever they prefer.
>>
Compared to vograce, is zap way more expensive? I'm sick and tired of Vograce and I'm looking for other options.
>>
>>9174177
Why don't you look at their prices on their website and compare for yourself?
>>
>>9174128
I only buy once in awhile, since most of the stuff I get is through trading with friends or strangers. If I do buy, it usually something I've seen online before and want to buy without the shipping costs, or something I don't make like bags.
>>
>>9174128
I still buy from other artists. Though I don't splurge on multiple items through different tables. I just stick to one item from a local artist that I've never bought before.

Though there have been times where artists and asked for art trades or you can ask to do an art trade.
>>
>>9174128
Nope. I hate trading as well, I have no use for prints or other people's fan art merch. Unless there's an artist I rarely see or I want to support a friend that has good art, I don't bother walking around AA.
>>
I have a question when it comes to minky fabric

Which type of minky fabric is best for plushies?
>>
>>9174342
Shannon minky (cuddle 3 on fabric.com) is very good quality. the stuff you can get at joann's is nice too, but a bit thinner.
>>
>>9174341
You sound like a very cheap person
>>
>>9174128
I don't buy where I'm selling usually.
I'm also stupid picky about what I like.
>>
>>9174372
They just sound jaded to me, which is probably worse.
>>
>>9174341

I do this too anon, I dont think its a bad thing really. I'm at AA because its my job and I'm there to make a profit. I dont look around because it might tempt me to buy something I dont need.
>>
I was surprised to see that a very small con (~500 attendees all weekend) I want to do AA at has a juried process, especially considering their tables cost ten bucks. Am I wrong in thinking this is weird?
>>
>>9174564
Maybe since it was so small and the tables were cheap, they were making sure they got legit artists and not random avon/non artist people?
>>
>>9174128
I don't buy at cons that I'm selling at unless it's something that I'm blown away by and absolutely have to have (which hasn't happened). I've done an art trade with one of my absolute favorite artists but I didn't ask to trade. I was going to purchase a print when she offered to trade instead which I thought was nice of her. I don't think people are obligated to trade and I never get those people that get offended when someone doesn't want to trade. We're all there to make some sort of profit. If you're really adamant about trading, at least wait until the end of the weekend and then ask if they'd be interested.
>>
>>9174128
I actually buy more now that I'm an artist. I also do trades too when I can. I actually feel sorta bad when we don't do trades though. When someone buys from me, and I don't buy from them or vice versa, it can be somewhat awkward I guess.
>>
>>9174564
As long as their prompt with replies, I think it's a good thing. They've still got limited space, and like >>9174577 said they're probably just weeding out the very bottom tier.
>>
What is the correct way to get the right time stamp for akon sign ups again? Someone mentioned that they refreshed the signup page on the dot but another anon pointed out that refreshing messes up the time stamp. I would like to hear more if there's an akon signup expert here. Thanks!
>>
>>9174645
you can refresh in the last few seconds to make sure your timer is in sync, but it automatically flips over to the sign up once it finishes countdown so there's no point in refreshing other than wasting your time.
>>
Does anyone know where to find the google doc of upcoming AA registration deadlines? I've checked AANI (they only have 2015's) and the OP docs, but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
Is $10 too expensive for sketch commissions?
>>
>>9174761
You have an example of size and how rough a sketch?
>>
>>9174372
>>9174486
Maybe it's a mix of both, honestly. I guess I'm more practical with my money. Also have had one too many bad trades with stuff I end up throwing away or storing somewhere I'll never look at again. It's hard to say no to overenthusiastic AA traders. Also because like another anon said, I'm really there to make money. When I made less money (under $1000 profit), I was more keen on spending on other artists in AA. Not so much now; I think I've gotten stingier and pickier with what I bring home.
>>
>>9174763
No, I was only thinking about it because I saw an artist doing 8x11 clean pencil sketches for $15-20. I'm interested in doing 5x7 sketchy but not too rough sketches in ink. Would $10 be too expensive?
>>
Is there a difference between a Seller's Permit and Reseller's one? ALA is asking for a "reseller's permit" but I'm not sure something like that actually exists.
>>
>>9174790
Wouldn't a Reseller's Permit be something a vendor would have?
>>
>>9174802
That's what I assumed. I'm hoping someone made a typo on the AA page and ALA wants a seller's permit just like every other con.
>>
Does ALA require the permit upfront, or do they just want to be sure you have one by the con? The wording doesn't really make it clear.
>>
>>9174937
Most likely you're going to have to send in your permit when you send in your app, and have a physical copy on hand at the booth.
>>
>>9174128
I buy more now than when I used to go to cons as an attendee, but I think that that's more a reflection on my financial state than anything else.
I do always try to make time to make a round through the AA just to see what's there. Even if I don't buy anything I still like to see other artists' work/grab business cards/talk to other artists.
>>
Kind of a weird question but I've got 2 cons under my belt and I'm signing up for a third that's still got open spots - weird thing is, I have to mail in or email my application for an AA table, and I have to include payment information? Either a check or my credit card info..?
It says that application won't be processed "without payment in full" and I'm wondering if anyone else has paid for a table in an "application" before. I trust the con, it's over 10,000 people, I know someone that's sold at it (it was recommended to me), but I've never done this way before.
>>
>>9174786
I think the average con goer would see that as more finished than pencil and pay that much.
How dynamic your art is affects the price too though. I can easily see paying $20 for a pencil sketch if it's not just the character standing there or turned slightly.
>>
>>9174761
show us your art then we can decide. I charge 100/commission for an ink sketch.
>>
>>9175202
Not op for the original question, but can I ask how well you do and if you go to smaller or larger cons?
>>
so what's the general consensus on postcards?
nice way for quick money, or detracting from the actual poster prints?
>>
>>9175642
For me it depends. I carry smaller prints of things that aren't currently flavor of the month/year because the lower price point for something that isn't a big current seller can persuade a purchase.
>>
>>9175642
We discussed small prints in a previous thread, and the general consensus was that most people would buy a smaller version of a print if they can.
I'd do like the other anon said and only do postcards of things that are older/more obscure if it's a crowd you want to appeal to but know that the stock won't move quickly.
>>
>>9175642
Because people will buy smaller versions if they can, i've eliminated smaller versions so they can't. I don't know that everyone can pull this off, but i absolutely made a jump in revenue when i did.
>>
>>9175642
Maybe only do postcards that are sold as a set of 3+.
>>
>>9175172
At my next con, I'm going to charge $10-15 for rough pen/pencil sketches, either bust or headshot. The other anon was charging $5 for some quick pen doodles so why not. I can always bring down the price if I get no business so no harm done.
>>
How is ALA in terms of AA sales?

I usually do SacAnime but it seems to get worse each time ~_~
Considering ALA since it's close to when SacAnime usually is
>>
>>9174746
gdi anon must have deleted the timeline sheet from AA Resources, I've usually updated it in the past couple of months
>>
>>9176276
Anon read up the thread, this was asked less than a week ago.
>>9172798
>>9173805
>>
>>9175780
Yeah I don't do multiples. My large prints only come in that one size. Any postcard prints that I do are for simpler designs that wouldn't work well in a bigger size.
>>
>>9176382
The first post you linked is no concrete info at all. The 2nd post they say it's slower but don't really define if it's worth besides people living in town ~_~
>>
>>9176453
> ~_~
stop

their post clearly stated it was worth it if you were local, which means if you're not local it's probably not worth it.
>>
File: prims.gif (653KB, 576x324px) Image search: [Google]
prims.gif
653KB, 576x324px
any euros here? does anyone know of a printing service in europe (or china) that does prism printins? like in bookmarks and such. i know of jimi agency and getmeds but those are located in the US and can become extra expensive (also they don't hold reservations for said items all the time).
on the topic of printing services and european sellers, and since MCM LONDON is coming up, what are your favorite printing services to use within the UK/Europe? I like Mixam and awesome merchandise -i also print a lot of stuff locally.
>>
>>9176486
I've wanted to use Awesome Merch because they have so many different types of items. I assume they're good? Also I've been trying to find out about prism prints too but so far I've only found some prism laminate so I could just print stuff and use the laminate on them, but the shipping alone was so ridiculous I don't think I'll bother.
>>
>>9176294
Damn, ok. I thought there used to be multiple sheets in there, glad I wasn't going crazy at least.
>>
File: charming.jpg (249KB, 1061x897px) Image search: [Google]
charming.jpg
249KB, 1061x897px
So hey. I'm the anon that posted the mami and mareep charms a long time ago. I've pulled up and cleaned up the mami, brightened some colors, added in pupils, etc.... to make charms. I also pulled up some other old scans. I plan to clean up and improve the Etna one(since I love Disgaea), but the question is. Should I consider the Tsubasa ones? I mean, they look decent but is there even a Tsubasa fandom anymore? Is the fandom pretty much dead that there's no point trying to make them sellable?
>>
>>9176453
I'm the anon that said the local shit. Break it down for yourself:

ALA:
- 10k+ attendees
- Brand new location where they're still figuring shit out
- Cost is now $200 a table and you're forced to have 2 badges
- Average attendee seems like they're on the younger side and it's a period of time right after Christmas and after-Christmas shopping

Compare that against the data you've gathered for yourself on Sacanime, add up cost of travel + hotel. From what people have said consistently in all of these AA threads, the running trend is that smaller cons will net you around 50% of your average sales a bigger con will make you. ALA is established enough that it's not gonna be a complete shitshow, but neither is it a runaway hit.
>>
>>9177021
I think you need to work on improving your art before you look to sell...
>>
>>9177072
Anon I drew most of those roughly about 5 or so years ago. They're pretty old.
>>
>>9177077
Different anon, but why wouldn't you just redraw them now? Posting that makes it seem like your art quality is still at that level.

They could be sellable if you get a low quantity made. An older fandom means you wouldn't be competing with other artists to get fans to buy your stuff.
>>
>>9177083
Sorry, that's what I meant though my wording made it sound different. I'm planning to redraw them to a better style. Something more like the Mami since I posted it last time and people thought it was cute but just needed a couple tweaks.
>>
>>9177086
no offense but i think your older style is better. your mami seems idk like creepy?
>>
>>9177086
Mami's face desperately needs fixing, atm it's probably my least favourite in the image you posted largely due to the derpy face.
>>
>>9177091
>>9177092
I had another anon do a tweak on it. But I lost the image. If I remember correctly I think they dropped down the eyes and mouth a bit because it was so high on the face. I'm not sure what really makes it creepy though.
>>
>>9177097
different anon, but they eyes remind me of King Crimson.
the expression also isn't one that I'd associate with Mami. she's got that droopy half-lidded look.
>>
File: mami.png (54KB, 177x223px) Image search: [Google]
mami.png
54KB, 177x223px
>>9177097
For me it's that the stare is so blank right now and the eyelid detail on something so simple exaggerates it. Got rid of them and added eye whites. I think you could even keep the eyes that high if you just made her blush.
>>
File: mamieyes.jpg (65KB, 761x231px) Image search: [Google]
mamieyes.jpg
65KB, 761x231px
>>9177100
>>9177102
I tweaked it a bit. I softened up the eye size and added in some blush. I dropped the lid down some, do you think it's enough or should I do more to better match Mami's droppy eye shape? Also I found the original version that I posted where she didn't have pupils and they said her eyes looked too dead.
>>
>>9177118
Definitely give her the droopy eyes. It'll soften up her face a lot. Also maybe make her brows less angular or have them tilted slightly upwards?
>>
>>9177118
maybe it would help to use the darker brown on her eyes to draw more attention to them?
>>
File: 1464309355718.jpg (73KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1464309355718.jpg
73KB, 600x900px
>>9177097
You mean this image?
>>
File: mami.png (68KB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
mami.png
68KB, 400x231px
>>9177118
shitty edit to illustrate
honestly, beyond lowering the facial features, i think you need to change how the face shape is appearing? right now it looks like she has a lego block head. I would thicken the hair curls or make them larger and give her a little bit of definition around the chin.

but this is only if you are time crunched or whatever. I hope it doesn't sound too mean, but I would honestly just recommend that you redraw her into a more interesting pose/angle. It's a pretty bland design as-is.
>>
For fcfs cons, are you forbidden from joining a friend's table if you and your friend both apply but you don't get in? I think someone mentioned that Akon considers it cheating and forbids it. So...are you screwed if you apply and don't get it? I'm kind of confused on this one. Thank you in advance.
>>
Dumb question time!

There is no way for me to print a white image onto transparent sticker film, is there?
>>
File: CquUeABWcAEfQ6u.jpg (228KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CquUeABWcAEfQ6u.jpg
228KB, 1200x1200px
>>9176630
awesome merch looks really good. the only things ive seen printed from them are by artist fightbeast
>>
>>9177297
depends on the con, email them.
>>
File: CrxjU3HXEAA2VCz.jpg (192KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CrxjU3HXEAA2VCz.jpg
192KB, 900x1200px
>>9177313
>>
>>9177309
....you can, but probably not with a home printer unless you have one that prints white ink. you'd most likely have to outsource.

>>9176630
awesome merch is really nice quality and customer support, a friend of mine had some stuff made.
>>
>>9177206
That's creepy af as well anon.
>>
>>9177314
I see. I'm sure if it's better for one person to apply for a group of friends or if everybody applies to maximize our chances. I'll start emailing the fcfs cons we're interested in.
>>
for all the artists here

when it comes to your work, did you have any previous education such as art schools to get you where you are at today or was it a natural talent?

and what made you stick to the techniques/styles you do now?
>>
>>9177427
it's not "natural talent" it's practice.
>>
>>9177427
I did go to art school but that wouldn't have mattered if I didn't put in the practice. And the practice will never stop.

I'm not sticking to what I do now, I've been desperately trying to get away from myself because if this is where my work stops it's better to be dead.
>>
>>9177436
This. It's a discipline and anyone can get good if they keep at it. Instruction is important though, you can draw for seventeen years and never improve if you think you're perfect and never learn new techniques or ways of looking at things.
>>
>>9177427
For what I do now (plush making) no. everything I learned, I learned from books, the internet, and just doing it. I went to school for illustration. you really need to work. you can be gifted I guess, but you're not going to improve if you don't push yourself.
>>
>>9177427
Another plush maker. I'm entirely self-taught and haven't taken any classes at all. I'm slowly working on getting my art sell able as well but it's a long process.

At least for me, I've spend a good amount of money and made a good amount of mistakes to get where I am now. It's all in experience and churning out a lot of crap before you get to the good stuff. Hard work, a ridiculous amount of time, and dogged dedication is what it takes to get good.

I never stick to the same techniques for long and I'm always pushing myself to improve.
>>
>>9177427
When it comes to art, it's very rarely natural talent. I've been drawing my whole life and probably drawing "seriously" since middle school. I did go to college for animation but I also used a lot of internet tutorials; it was really the work that I put into improving that made me get better.

And I really don't stick to one style or set of techniques. I'm always trying new things because I'm always seeing other people do cool things and thinking "That's awesome, how can I incorporate that in my own work?"
>>
>>9177427
Nope, I'm majoring in a totally different field and art is a hobby. No natural talent, I'm sure 90% of us all went through horrible dA phases and abused lens flare from shitty tutorials.

My style has changed dramatically because I was exposed to many great local and foreign artists. I looked at specific pieces of art, asked myself why I found it so appealing, and made notes to study just that - like I really enjoy saturated colors so I see how artists make everything pop up and mesh without hurting my eyes. It also helps immensely if you have a friend who's just as passionate as art about you, it's fun to encourage each other.
>>
I became friends with a person who wants to become an artist awhile ago. She's been asking for artist alley tips and art improvement tips nonstop ever since. Nice person, but it's too much sometimes. I'm happy to help out when I can, but she seems to think I'm her one stop source for everything. She now thinks we'll be tabling together from now on and I'm like woah. Has anybody had this happen to them? How do you make them gradually stop? I have no issues taking her to my next con but I'm kind of scared that this will become a thing.
>>
>>9177764
You could always suggest after one or two conventions to try doing an AA or table on her own. Maybe frame it as a way to make more money and have more space for both of you.
>>
>>9177787
That's a great way to put it because she already has thousands of ideas for merch. It sounds like she'll be needing 3 tables. And I'm going to say I already have table partners for other cons in the future...

Does tabling with a very very mediocre artist hurt your sales? Will people stop by anyway or will they walk away when they see unappealing beginner art. I'm going to make it as clear as possible that it is 2 artists but I'm still stressed.
>>
Is there a good shading tutorial you would recommend?
>>
>>9177795
I'm not experienced enough to give you good advice, but maybe try to put a very distinct banner in front with two artist names/different color themes to separate it.

I could only see it hurting you if people feel bad about approaching you and not buying from your tablemate. Try to keep your art very visible on your display so people can see it's quality even if your tablemate's isn't.

>>9177827
Not sure if you're asking about blending techniques, but color theory (like pic related) is super important to making sure your shading keeps the overall art vibrant. Sorry if that's not what you're asking for.
>>
>>9177795
tabling with a worst artist never hurts the better artist's sale is what i would say.. >_>
>>
>>9177067
Really not sure where you're pulling the 10k+ number from, but the 2016 attendee count was 8k.
>>
>>9177795
It won't hurt your sales, but it makes for a very awkward time at the event. I tabled with a friend who's style was just not what people go to anime conventions for and I have a style that does well at anime conventions. The entire time I was making sales and she wasn't and she would act out in front of customers or try to jokingly take money from my hand when it was given to me.

I made a point to not share a table with her anymore after that and she eventually quit AA. When asked I just told her that I had a lot of bulky merch that I needed a full table for, which was true.

If you don't want to share a table with her, just say so. AA is already exhausting without having someone ask a ton of questions or whine and complain about how bad sales are.
>>
>>9177427
I did major in art, but I don't feel like it had any great effect towards how I do work for conventions. I concentrated in storyboarding which is very different than how I approach prints. Some stuff like better draftsmanship and composition carry over naturally though.
>>
>>9177939
>try to jokingly take money from my hand
your friend sounds socially inept.

I'm tabling with a friend this year (both of us have never done AA before), but we have very different styles. Do you have examples for what your friend's style looks like?
>>
File: 1463119762444.png (115KB, 475x650px) Image search: [Google]
1463119762444.png
115KB, 475x650px
>mfw Connecticon increases AA costs AGAIN
>$350 per table

are you fucking kidding me Daigle
>>
>>9177427
Consider a couple business classes or a minor as well
>>
>>9177427

Have always has a talent, I guess, for art (or so I've been told). I went to a liberal arts college and majored in graphic design. The very fine art and "Academy" approach to my program definitely honed my drawing skills. I got to my current level today though by practice. All my digital art skills were from drawing almost every day during college.

So I feel like for me art school was helping me shape what innate talent I was already given.

What's finally made me stick to my current style is for once I'm happy with how things turn out, consistently. I've got a few coloring techniques I can switch between but I think I'm finally happy with my art. No need to change it up just yet then.
>>
I'm soon going to AWA, attendance of 20,000+. I have sold at a dozen cons, but they have ranged from 500 to 5,000 attendance... so 20,000+ is giant to me. I know I will obviously sell more at this con... but how much more do you think? Does 4 times the attendance mean 4 times the sells? Or could I actually do less at this con since there will be so much more competition who have vastly better things than me?
>>
Does anyone know who people go through to get heart shaped buttons made? Or does everyone just have their own button press to make the shape?
>>
>>9178090
How large is their AA?
AX had tons of competition in an alley that attendees didnt enjoy going into and we still had great sales
>>
>>9177764
just direct her to artist alley international. all the information is there. and if it's too much just let her know you are busy and can't spoon feed her all the questions.
>>
>>9178090
awa sucked for me last year. It was the same as a convention that's 5k people. good luck
>>
>>9178168

I don't know about AX, a friend of mine just made more at tiny Anime California than she did at AX.
>>
>>9177915
Thanks for the correction, I probably got it from the projected estimation that the move would bring.
>>
How are Katsucon's sales? Worth flying out to?
>>
>>9178272
Also wondering about this. I'm going from Georgia, so I could do the drive (I rather like long drives) but if sales are generally good I'll fly. Also I grew up in wv so driving in a blizzard doesn't bother me.
>>
>>9178272
man, i don't mean this as a personal attack on this anon in particular but is anybody else really sick of these questions? like unless you're getting the feedback from someone who sells very similar stock/style/quality to you it's not going to be accurate at all.
>>
>>9178292

Ehhh...? Not sick of them really since I would probably go and ask the same thing. It wont be completely accurate but I think the most important thing to find out about a possible con is how busy it is. More floor traffic/attendance means higher chances of making sales.
>>
To people that do both prints and merch: where does most of your revenue come from?

Print culture isn't nearly as big here as it is in the US, and I'm having real trouble getting my prints to move. Over half my revenue comes from charms atm. (Not necessarily a bad thing as a chibi is a lot simpler to draw than a full print, I guess.)
>>
>>9177981
I'd rather not post her work here, but as long as you or your friend has a style that works with anime, or whatever convention theme, you'll do fine.

My friend did not have a style that met it and while she did make few sales, she also knew her style wasn't what people were there for, but I think she felt very strongly that people at conventions will buy anything and she could probably make a lot of money from this.

I think she was catering to the wrong crowd.
>>
>>9178148
>not looking
>not trying 'heart shaped pin back buttons'
>https://www.amazon.com/Button-Maker-Machine-Pinback-Supplies/dp/B00EHA1QDY
>>
>>9178272
should be because their scrub tier staff cut the size of the alley in half last year so even the worst artists like themselves could make a good profit.
>>
>>9178413
Someone is salty becouse they got rejected : (
>>
>>9178452
Are you saying you're making less money despite them shrinking the alley? Because all I'm saying is that if you got into Katsucon you'll probably make a fine profit, so if you're calling me salty for that i guess.. you aren't?
>>
My clear charms for vograce had different images front and back. The different parts can be seen from the other side. For example if front has a character pouting and the back has them smiling widely, i can see the wide smile from the front. Is this how clear charms are supposed to be like?? Is this a problem because it was single board acrylic? They have double acrylic for clear now and I wonder if double board would fix this see through problem. Does anybody know?
>>
>>9178500
This is because vograce either has cheap white between layers ink or doesn't lay it on thick enough. It's why companies based in the US have options for "Extra white" or "Double white" or similar. The amount of acrylic you get doesn't affect the printing process.
>>
>>9178495
>even the worst artists like themselves could make a good profit
They're calling you salty because you implied the artists that got in and are making a good profit are shit. I don't see any positivity in your post at all either.
>>
>>9178505
I'm not saying everyone who got accepted is shit, i'm just saying the alley was shrunk to a size that even shitty artists will make a profit. It was the expressed purpose of their change. I mean if you think you're a shitty artists i guess you would take offense to it, but if you aren't a shitty artist you shouldn't. You should just be secure in going, provided there is not a snow storm.
>>
>>9178509
I think i only called the staff shitty actually, so maybe you're staff in that case idc lol
>>
>>9178503
This is very helpful. Would putting a white layer under my art layer help or is it hopeless wih vograce? If that's the case, I should start looking into american companies.
>>
>>9178517
Or not, on the american companies part. I rarely print more than 30 charms per order so vograce is the only company for me lol. I should just avoid clear if both sides don't have the same art.
>>
>>9178524
acornpress has a minimum order of 10 charms per design
>>
>>9178534
I had completely forgotten about them. Thanks anon, I will check them out.
>>
>>9178500
>>9178517
Would you be able to post a photo of how transparent your charm is?

I have double-sided charms with different art on each side. Vograce is the only place I can think to get 5 charms per design, but now I'm worried they're not going to work out anyway.
>>
Can someone please help me how to differenciate between "hole" and "loop" in chinese? For my next charm with Vograce, I want to put the hole on my actual artwork because I want a 5px background as opposed to the massive 30px background vicky gives me. I downloaded the Zap template to show her the difference between hole and loop, gave her pictures of charms with hole, and she says "ok". But when she comes back with the outline, she gives me a loop with a huge background. I've told her no loop like 50 times now, shown her examples, corrected her outlines, but she still doesn't get it. I don't know how to get my point across. It seems like I'm not the only one having issues with her either.
TL;DR how do you say "hole" and "loop" in chinese? I'm not sure if Google translate is giving me the right words.
>>
>>9178517
>>9178524
It's not something you control, you could try asking if they would double the middlewhite layer for you though? Could attach a photo of how transparent it is to show you want it less transparent and you're request extra white. Worth a shot, though acorn is a good US alternative for people who can't do big orders.
>>
>>9178544
I don't have the charm with me because it sold out but it's pretty transparent. Okay, I didn't even notice it at first but you'll see that something is off if you stare at it for more than 10 seconds. After that you can't unsee it haha. It's mostly just the black/dark lineart though. So if you're not too picky and don't like using black line art, you might be fine.
>>
>>9178376
I was specifically trying to ask if a SERVICE offered these. Not if I needed to make them myself, just curious if that was what others did.
>>
>>9178548
True, it's worth a shot. As much as I want to stop doing business with them, I really love the fact thag they assemble your charms for you. Can't have everything I suppose.
>>
>>9178554
Iirc artsmoo does this. And a lot of random american companies and alibaba companies too I believe.
>>
>>9178557
Thank you for your helpful reply!
>>
>>9178558
Np! Hope you can find a company with reasonable prices :)
>>
File: colors.png (52KB, 425x130px) Image search: [Google]
colors.png
52KB, 425x130px
>>9178553
Damn, ok, thanks anyway. At least you were able to sell out of the charms even with imperfections!
I have charms with dark/light colors over each other but not like true black on white. Hopefully I can get a double white layer.
>>
>>9178547
I'm not getting what you're trying to do either.
>>
File: hole.png (36KB, 658x390px) Image search: [Google]
hole.png
36KB, 658x390px
>>9178583
i'm guessing anon is trying to do something like this?
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 748x1331px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 748x1331px
>tfw an established fashion brand steals your 200% original Etsy-kei design
>>
>>9178586
YES ANON that's exactly it. I drew her pictures, sent her photos, but she doesn't get it. That or Vograce can't do it but Vicky isn't telling me.
>>
>>9178583
>>9178586
Haha sorry. My wording wasn't very clear. But if you saw my emails with 10 different examples and Zap's templates, there is no way you wouldn't get it. I don't know what I can do to make her see what I'm saying.
>>
>>9178598
Have you tried drawing the outline and hole yourself on a different layer, and then sending it to her?
>>
>>9178590
>everyone saying her design is cuter
it's an overworked print on an artsmoo dress. ETC's is way better all around.
>>
>>9178626
I did. Probably 10 times im simple English. One other reason why I'm not understanding her lack of comprehenshion. At this point I'm so lost.
>>
>>9178661
Have you tried just talking to coco? I tried to do something with vograce through vicky before too and she just fucked it up so i don't even want to try them. But my friends say coco is more competent so idk.
>>
>>9178678
I used to talk to coco but stopped talking to her because we had too many communication issues. Vicky used to be ok but not so much now. Is there any other person besides coco and vicky?
>>
balls, hit the button the second it went up and still got waitlisted for anime LA
>>
>>9178692
I didn't even get on the waitlist. It filled up while I was registering.
>>
>>9178694
>>9178692
>tfw got 2 tables without issues
You people need to step it up
>>
>>9178703
the only thing that slowed me was i just got a new debit card so the info didnt auto fill but damn, i tried
im #6 on the waitlist though so its not the end of the world
>>
>>9178703
The waitlist was full by 12:04
>>
>>9178692
>people on AANI freaking out and posting links to work

what makes you the fucking exception? :/
>>
File: 3RK6YOR.png (312KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
3RK6YOR.png
312KB, 400x450px
Shit, is there a confirmation page for ALA AA? I got in, I put in my info, clicked the link to confirm my info, and then I got sent back to the event page where it says it sold out. Am I fucked
>>
Anyone knows how many tables ALA usually has? Crazy how fast it sold out.
>>
>>9178720
wait what?
>>
>>9178720
Anon you went 0-100 real quick calm down
>>
>>9178722
Yes there is.
>>
>>9178734
>>9178739
not you anon, just people saying, oh no I didn't get in here's my art if you want to table with meeeee
>>
Is ALA that amazing? It seems like such a small con.
>>
>>9178748
i did the AA last year and we made a profit and had a blast, the whole crowd was just super fun and all the ribbons really added to it. most fun con i did all year
>>
>>9178743
i loved that girl that was like 'half table pls btw i might drop out lol'
>>
so PMX, no idea when the reg is opening but does anyone want to split a table?
last year wasnt worth getting a full table and bringing my friend all they way up there, but i'd split if someone needs a table partner :>
>>
>>9178775
How much is a table? I wouldn't mind splitting a table.
>>
>>9178781
Last year was $135
>>
>>9178775
How is PMX? I've never gone and I want to table, even though there's no information about artist alley last time I checked.
>>
>>9178784
So we'd be splitting it $67.50 each if the prices are the same.
>>
>>9178790
I'm curious too. There is no info and they never respond to email inquiries.
>>
>>9178792
yeah, or just round it to the nearest dollar.
If you wanna email me, [email protected] would work. we can talk specifics and all that.

>>9178790
i heard it used to be fine, but last year it was a new venue and a different month than usual and the AA was separate from the exhibit hall so over all it was pretty slow, but a lot of that is getting fixed so it'll probably pick up again.
>>
>>9178692

I was at work answering the phone, sending a fax, and with no auto-fill to help me, and I somehow managed to get in. I think I just used up my luck for the year.

Trying to decide if I should split my table. It seems like fun to have a table buddy when I'm always stuck manning tables alone, but doesn't it really cut into sales to have only 1/2 the space to use? Maybe I just have too much shit.
>>
File: tumblr_nebl941oto1qbxi45o2_500.gif (791KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nebl941oto1qbxi45o2_500.gif
791KB, 500x281px
>>9178800
I just sent you an email.
>>
>>9178803
i typically never split a table, i too have too much shit, but I usually have a friend who's my helper. I'm going to condense for pmx and see how it goes. If you dont want to be alone but still have your full space try requesting to be next to someone fun. having good table neighbors makes all the difference. personally i dont mind watch a table next to mine or doing small sales for them while they go get food or whatever

>>9178806
awesome! just got it
>>
>>9178798
I'm friends with the PMX Artist Market head, and she has said she's waiting for the Fire Marshall to sign off on the room they're in before she can go forward with tables and everything else related to PMX.

If you want info, add yourself to this group. Right now there isn't much on 2016, but she makes announcements through the group and they get sent to your e-mail when they go up: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pmx-art-market
>>
how do you guys decide on what art to make into prints? I draw fanart here and there but I never feel like they're fit to be prints, with the rare exception, because I feel like they're not going to be appealing for buyers for dumb reasons.
>>
>>9179022
I draw everything with the intent to sell. It makes my art better, I feel.

I take in to consideration the colors and composition a lot more and generally pay a lot more attention to detail. It also makes it easy to cycle stuff out if it doesn't sell.
>>
>>9179022
I treat things I draw for prints differently than general fanart. I keep in mind what would appeal to the general audience (color choices, which characters to feature, composition, etc) and if it will catch someone's eye when they walk past. Very rarely do I take a piece that I did before and make into a print.
>>
>>9179059
>>9179042

ok! I felt like if I put too much time in specifically thinking out composition/colors/etc. for print stuff that it'd just be wasted effort

but I think I was also overthinking it way too much...
>>
>>9178292
just a little annoyed. the smaller conventions I understand since there's no real information out there. But for a con like Katsucon, there's tons of reviews and info that anon can look up
>>
>>9178800
I wonder if PMX is worth flying to?
>>
>>9177427
I went to an art school but it was for Animation, so anything con art or illustration was learned on the side via the internet.
>>
>>9179225
Absolutely not.
>>
>>9179225
No. PMX doesn't pull in the same AA sales as ALA.
>>
>>9179225
100% no
>>
Does anyone here charge a base rate for commisions upfront and then if the scope exceeds do you charge extra?
Or if you get it done faster do you refund at all? Because it didnt take as long as the estimate?
>>
File: LolLayoutCoolCardIdea.jpg (545KB, 1287x1077px) Image search: [Google]
LolLayoutCoolCardIdea.jpg
545KB, 1287x1077px
I have a cool idea for a set of like 4-5 prints! LoL characters in a card like layout. I thought that would be pretty neat. Add my style and make everything very sharp edged, flat colors, a little bit of texture layover.
>>
>>9179803
this is cool, I would buy these - especially if you got them made into actual cards.
>>
>>9179797
I take the whole payment before I start. I have base rates for sketches, inks and colours (single character chibi or bust) then charge extra for extra characters, backgrounds, detailed designs, large props etc.
Basically the wording of my T&Cs lets me charge whatever I feel like at the time unless their request is super simple.
>>
It's a little late, but how did people do at San Japan this year? I was hearing a few people complain so I'm curious.
>>
>>9179969
At least one artist I know said sales were slightly up overrall for her even though it felt slower to her
>>
>>9177427
Yeah, I agree about the 'natural talent' thing. My art was okay in middle school but it certainly wasn't amazing but I kept at it. I'm in school right now for graphic design but before that, I was pretty much all self-taught. I've only just developed a style that I really like from years of practice and testing out different techniques. And I'm sure it will change as the years go by, that's the beauty of it. The style that I like now might not be the same thing that I like two years from now. As you improve, your style is going to change. The main thing for me has been drawing every day. Once I started doing that, I noticed that my work was improving and I was getting pieces done faster.
>>
>>9179820
Has a comm ever taken you extra time to finish than you expect so you charge them more when they pick it up?

It's hard to know how long it'll take
>>
>>9178590
>not a direct copy
I mean it sucks that happened but... nothing you can do desu.
>>
>>9178590
>>9178637
I mean, it's a similar concept but they don't really look the same. They're definitely not exact and the print/layout isn't original. It's typical for that type of style so to base it on that alone is a bit iffy.
>>
>>9179969

Friday was awful. Saturday was meh. Sunday I felt like I did better but I can't substantiate that. I did a little less than A-kon but on par with past years at A-fest. Worth the trip for me though. I made profit and there was very little crossover for my fandoms, so that was a plus. I do feel like I'm plateauing and I'm not sure if its my art or my audience. I feel like I'm maxing out my target fans, and it's not like, bad money, it would just be nice to make a little more.
>>
>>9179803

Very cool idea! I agree with other anon that these would sell as single prints and it would be awesome if you one day made an actual deck of cards. I'm not a fan of LoL, but I am a fan of seeing a non-Cartoon Network/Tumblr style. Good luck. And I know that's just a super rough sketch, you but you can how Draven's head is twice the size of the other guy's when you flip them side by side.
>>
>>9179969
It was weird this year because I made less sales but more money. It seemed like there were less attendees overall and it wasn't as busy as last year, but people were making bigger purchases.

I ended up making about $2000 more than last year's San Japan despite it feeling slower.
>>
File: DariusWhyYouSoPretty.jpg (391KB, 1154x987px) Image search: [Google]
DariusWhyYouSoPretty.jpg
391KB, 1154x987px
>>9180392
>>9179817

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Is is how I'm envisioning the whole thing looking, a little bit of shadow and highlighting here and there, but mostly brushy looking. The armor is going to be a fucking nightmare cause I'm no good at actual color theory. Pray for me.
>>
>>9180418
Funny you say that, as attendance was about 2k lower than last year.
>>
>>9180052
I have a pretty good idea of how long things take me to do (just through practice), so if I accidentally undercharge myself on time I don't ask for more but just keep it in mind for future commissions of a similar vein. For example, I once had a guy commission a drawing of his waifu and I charged only base rate. I discovered that her design was more detailed than I initially thought, and it took almost double my normal time. A few cons later, I had another guy ask for the same character (I had a photo of the first one in my portfolio) and I charged him double what I charged the first guy knowing that it'd need more time.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (290KB, 1147x898px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
290KB, 1147x898px
>>9180481

Ok this coming along nicely. Maybe by AX17 I'll have it done, maybe have another one drawn and painted out. I can already feel myself losing steam cause there SO MUCH more to paint, and I'm no good at metal. ...ugh.
>>
File: sup anon.jpg (399KB, 1147x898px) Image search: [Google]
sup anon.jpg
399KB, 1147x898px
>>9180776
I really enjoy the brush texture overall. I think it might be better if you turned up the saturation a teensy bit because your colors look a little bit muddy right now.

>>9180486
Oof, I hadn't heard the actual numbers but I did hear that moving to Labor Day weekend affected attendance. I'm amazed that I did so much better than last year.
>>
>>9180782
Oh great tip anon, thanks. They look less dead now, much better.
>>
I know this has been asked for something similar. I've been looking for the larger Photo stands for prints. I'm looking to upgrade. All the ones I'm finding are of the 10ft tall ones which I already own. I've see a few other artist with the taller ones at cons.

Any actual measurements or brands your stands are would help out so much with me looking. I'm not trying to be spoonfed, just a slight push would help.
>>
File: CjbDcSM.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
CjbDcSM.gif
3MB, 320x180px
I originally asked this in /ic/ but I was told it was better to ask this here:

So I have an artist alley table at NYCC this year. I'm super nervous because this is the first time I've ever done any kind of artist alley so I'm hoping I'm not underprepared. I'm also nervous because I know a lot of famous artists/industry professionals will be there. I got the full table because I figured it's good to have bigger space and I can have someone sit with me.

The only problem is, the person that was supposed to sit with me can only attend Sat and Sun. I may be able to get my sister to come with me on Thurs and Friday, but if not my mom keeps asking if she could sit with me.

I feel its super embarrassing, unprofessional and cringeworthy to have my own mom sit at the table with me. This is a place where I'm trying to get my name out there and network and I don't want to be known as the artist who had their mother sit with them. Maybe I'm wrong but it just feels weird.

On top of that, how do you sell someone, like your mom, that you don't want them there because it looks childish and unprofessional?

Would you have your mom or grandma sit with you at your table? Am I being silly?

I just feel weird if I shake hands with a big industry professional and having to introduce "oh this is my mom".

My mom also has a tendency to gush about my work which just makes things feel more awkward.
>>
>>9180999

That's so cute. If that's the worst of your problems, that's nice. First off, NYCC is nuts bananas when it comes to the amount of people coming in. NOBODY will notice that your table partner is an older women. If anything, they'll think it's her table. You might one or two people who stop to talk to you about a piece, but nobody will be asking you who the F is this lady.

Aaaand you don't have to worry about an industry professional trying to meet you. NYCC AA is NOT the place to make business connections. No big shot is going to talk to in the middle of a thousand people shoving everyone in one direction. Also, you don't have to introduce her to anyone anyways. Tell her to please let you do the talking.

If she gushes to try to make a sale, good. I do that when I help my friend. I make sales for ever when shes like "my art speaks for itself." Uh, it doesn't when it's one piece out of another hundred thousand.

So have fun! Make her buy you food and give you backrubs after you've been sitting for like 12 hours. That's nice she's willing to waste her day sitting in a cramped and super noisey hall of sweaty nerds and teeny bopper cosplayers. You're might see some hot half naked people buy some of your art and you can tell her these are your people. This is who you cater to, lol.
>>
>>9180999
I honestly would not undervalue the presence of your mom. Unless she's a batshit crazy pushy salesperson, her gushing over your art will probably do more good than bad. I think it'll reflect very positively to people that your mom is so invested in your art and believes in it so much.
>>
>>9181008
honestly bless you, this is some down-to-earth advice. some of you guys in this thread take yourselves way too seriously, even if your intention is to go pro.
>>
>>9180999
I believe unless you're an indie artist trying to promote your comic, I wouldn't worry too much about industry artists. There's simply way too many people, you'd be more likely to approach them.

If your mom is going to be there, take advantage of the opportunity to have her help you prep things, bring you food, etc! She must care about you to want to be there, and the fact that she loves your work shows that she's proud and I think anyone can appreciate that.
>>
>>9180999
I bring my mom to cons when shes in town and nobody ever bats an eye, she's even gotten plenty of compliments for what she's wearing. (My mom gets cold very easily and will wear a big winter jacket in the hall. People think it's a cosplay and that she's super dedicated LOL). She's super helpful and watches out for my health better than any other table mate I've had. I also like taking her there because I can show her that there are people out there that are as "crazy" as I am and that are willing to spend money on my work. It's a good way to bond and I don't have to worry about bothering a neighboring table to watch over my stuff while I go do something. She even comes up with ideas for merchandise that I could sell. My only problem with my mom is that she spends all day complaining about my dad so it's a bit of a downer but at least she isn't saying it in english so most people wont understand. I don't think anyone would truly be bothered that you have your mom helping you or that they would even notice that she's your mom. They're really only focused on what's on your table desu.

tl;dr If you a good relationship with your mom then you should bring her.
>>
>>9181096
autocorrected my "to be honest" to desu.....okay then?
>>
>>9181099
wordfilters young one
>>
>>9180999
You sound young. I would love to have my mom be my table wing man (mom).
The general population of NYCC is older people anyway.
>>
>>9180999
My mom was excellent at helping me at my first AA. I've dubbed her the official con mom because she was so helpful and understanding when I was stressed Honestly, it's good to have someone there that is going to be supportive and help out with food, setting up, etc. My mom actually helped with getting me talking to the other artists around me. One girl was there alone and my mom got her food and water when she was stuck at her table. She and I ended up exchanging info. Mom also started talking with one guy about his work and he ended up talking to me for awhile and giving me some very great advice (he was a seasoned artist, did plenty of shows). Don't underestimate moms lol. They'll do 110%.

It's not unusual to have a family member help. Trust me, I've seen people at tables with their moms, dads, grandparents, etc. Nobody is going to care or probably even ask. If she's nice/not being pushy or obnoxious then accept the help. Nothing unprofessional about it. It's honestly more about YOU and your work.
>>
>>9181048
I am trying to promote a comic.

Funny enough some of the other artists that will be there, who are already established comic book artists in the industry, I personally know. We were classmates at the same art school.
>>
>>9180999
My mom helped me with my first table, and there are always at least one or two people who are at the table with their mom. Its no unusual at all.
>>
File: MoreCauseICan.jpg (287KB, 837x813px) Image search: [Google]
MoreCauseICan.jpg
287KB, 837x813px
I'm just going to use this board for updating progress if that's cool. I'm a nobody on tumblr, or DA or any of the art sites so I never get any feed back. But I would like to actually finish something for once in my life, so if you don't mind me spamming the AA with updates. Still happy with it.
>>
>>9181521
It's fine, as long as it's not like "I added shading in this one section, here's an update"
>>
So, how do you guys feel about people selling merch of Let's Players in AA? It seems like every con I go to there are at least two or three tables selling fanart of Markiplier or the Game Grumps and somehow it just feels a little weird and cringey to me. I can't pinpoint just why since they sell posters and the like of themselves officially.
>>
>>9181347
I could understand if this was a small con but this is New York Comic Con. I'm sharing a floor with big name artists that have worked for DC and Marvel Comics. Are you sure having your mom sit with you is no big deal?

Believe me, I love my mom and I'm thankful with how supportive she is. Just if I use this opportunity to network with other artists, I don't want to give a bad first impression.
>>
>>9181548
Because there's a fandom that treats them like fictional characters
>>
>>9181549
I think that would depend on your mom specifically. I wouldn't table with my mom because she absolutely is the obnoxious type that would make things awkward.

But, as the other anons have said, no one's going to automatically think "Oh haha this kid brought his mom, what a loser"
>>
>>9181521
I am really digging this. It looks like a children's book illustration, which is great. Don't be afraid to throw in some really dark colors on there, like a darker blue/navy in his vest.
And like other anon said, it's cool if you make big updates and post here, but don't post every three minutes with a saturation shift and act like that five year old "how's this? How's this? How about now? This? This?"

Good luck!
>>
File: ca6af63dcccd060690d2bae623f54033.jpg (163KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
ca6af63dcccd060690d2bae623f54033.jpg
163KB, 1200x900px
>>9181548
Depends. How do you feels about people who do fanart of pop stars or other celebrities? Just because they're more famous, doesn't mean they're not real people.
>>
>>9181551

This pretty much. I also find it super creepy all the rule 34 there is of youtubers
>>
>>9181549
Literally no one is going to think negatively about your mom helping you with the table. People will view it the same as anyone else helping you with the table. If anything, some people will think it is cool that you have supportive parents, and your mom will probably be able to better connect to other moms and maybe even get some connections and sells.

I also think you are massively over hyping yourself. It is your first con, you aren't going to make life changing connections from your first event. You should focus on yourself.
>>
>>9181569
I feel about the same. Normal fanart by itself I don't mind, it just always feels really weird when I see fanmerch and doujins specifically for youtubers or pop stars and the like. Do people even really buy that stuff?
>>
>>9181548
I kind of think of it more like they're selling the 'persona' of the person, rather than like....some random dude of the street. It's like people drawing marvel characters that facially resemble the actors from the movieverse, in that regard. It's just another type of 'character'.
>>
>>9181549
If you have doubts because your mom's possible behavior, ok. But discounting her because of possible embarrassment just because she's a mom...that's just stupid
>>
>>9181667
My mom doesn't watch any anime but she does watch stuff like Rick&Morty and Steven Universe and is able to interact with fans of those well even though she thinks Anime is infantile.
>>
Is there a way to let artists know you really like their art and talking to them at cons?

I worry that it'll come across as creepy, I don't want to seem like a stalker...
>>
>>9181897
do you mean that as a singular query (you like their art and you like talking to them) or, how to let them know you like their art (and talk to them in general)?

For the first, don't, compliment their art but don't say that you really like talking to them because if it isn't mutual (which isn't a fault of the artist, sometimes connections aren't mutual) it puts pressure on them.

If it's the latter, just strike up a normal conversation ...? ask what their favorite character is from x fandom that they're selling, ask them how they're doing, etc etc
>>
>>9182024
>>9181897
If you really super wanted to compliment what they're like when you talk to them you could be like "your art is great blah blah and you're so chill too!" or whatever works best.
>>
>>9181897
ask them if they have a patreon
also please buy something from them
>>
>>9181897
just say you love their art and talk to them when it's not busy ( please, I've had so many people not understanding I can't chat when I'm doing business and it stresses me so much) But please buy something, or offer them some snacks if you can't afford their prints! I know I love it when people give me snacks and water!
>>
>>9182024
>>9182038
>>9182248
>>9182267
So strike up normal conversation when they're free and not busy. Let them know I think their art is great and that they're chill, ask them about their patreon and then buy something. Segway into talking with them about the con/particular fandom they're selling/how they're doing. Possibly offer snack/water.

The food thing isn't too weird to get from a "stranger"? I've seen the artist multiple cons and talked to them a minute here and there before...
>>
>>9182332
it's weird if you bring them something you made yourself but if you bought them something packaged or whatever it would be fine.
>>
>>9182332
nothing home made please! sealed food!
>>
>>9182384
>>9182444
>>9182332
adding onto these anons - food ONLY if they accept your offer. don't just awkwardly bring food and push it to them. some people have dietary requirements you might not know about or be feeling ill, have already eaten etc
>>
>>9181897
Don't worry about being creepy or a stalker. Just talk to them normally.

When you act nervous and fidgety it becomes creepy, but when you just run up with "hi! You are ____ right? I really love your work". It's not so bad. It helps to tell them exactly what item you like and why you liked it. If you don't already own the item then purchase it and maybe a few other small items. They will look at you as just a big fan. Don't ask to trade them right off the bat. Maybe save it for the last day and don't take it personal if they prefer to save stock for online or the net convention.

I usually give gifts to artist I really liked. Handmade gifts, but never food and then I usually splurge and buy a few things and then they don't mind kind of talking and asking about my day etc, but only if it's slow. Since I'm giving a gift I try to go over when they aren't busy.
>>
>>9181897
I've met two of my favorite artists at cons and the best thing is to just be yourself. I approached, said something along the lines of 'I really enjoy your work', and was able to have a conversation from there. You can even compliment a particular piece you really like.

It really also depends on the person. One artist I didn't spend a long time talking to because they were obviously busy and I didn't want to bother them. The other I was able to talk to for awhile because it was a slow con. Gauge things first before you head over because it might not be the best time to chat.
>>
What's a decent price point for cosmetic bags? I see about 12-15 dollars on storenvy for medium artsbovine ones. Does that hold up at conventions, and do they actually sell for that amount?
(Searched the archives, couldn't find anything.)
>>
>>9182332
Another thing I'll do is if they have a comic or a high profile original character, I'll draw them a piece of fan art traditionally before the con so I can give it to them when I stop to chat. Write my social media stuff and webcomic url on the back of the page.

That's in addition to the rest of everyone's good advice, though.
>>
>>9182657
I and many others sell them for $15 at cons, at least for the medium ones. I suggest if you are unsure, offer a 2 for $25 deal. I sell them without deals and I've sold out many times on my popular designs. I usually make sure my stock is 6 per design at a con.
>Also it depends on the design you have. A person made bags of some fat furry OC's of theirs, they haven't sold and it's been like 2 years.
>>
I could really use some advice. A couple of months ago I created a shop. I named it funny, but then I decided to change the name bc I found out that there were some similar-named shops. I chose the new name thoroughly, and it came out just wonderful. I checked the web and social and didn't find anything alike. So I proceeded with a new one, advertised it, made cards and et c. Today I decided to check insta for my hashtag and found out that some girl from my country decided to use that idea. She shifted first and second parts of the name, and it sounds practically the same. It pisses me off tbqh and I would come up with something new, but I already put much effort promoting this one. What should I do? Should I just ignore and move on or should I change it in the future? The girl draws well and the name complements her stuff too. She made it look like she was the first inventing the idea, but she wasn't.
>>
AANI people, I know you enjoy posting the 'You Have Died of Exposure' meme, but can we please give it a break? I've seen it posted a few times in the past couple weeks, and (much as with a lot of things posted over and over to AANI) it's gotten old.
>>
>>9183344
It's just a name, technically anyone could've come up with it.
If they're similar enough to be mistaken and you can afford to change the promotions, go for it.
Otherwise just work on differentiating your stuff from hers. Be very careful not to look like you're a knockoff of her things.
>>
>>9183344
Does your country have the option to register a fictitious business name?
>>
>>9183368
Yes and no. You need to be registered as legal entity and have a company to do this. You also can't register it if it's not unique, e.g. if there is any other name like yours.
>>
>>9173164
>milkaron.tumblr.com
I just want to let you know that I'm checking your tumblr for when you do put the charms online!
>>
Has anyone tabled at GaymerX? It's a Bay Area con. Sounds like it's had a fair amount of support in the past, and for a local con it has ok attendance (2k last year) but I'm scoping for more info before I take one of their open tables.
>>
>>9183678
Are you tabling at APE?
>>
>>9183684
Nope. Might attend for fun, though.
>>
>>9172152
I tried re-creating the con list doc again, please feel free to add missing cons to the list & rec any missing columns

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>>
>>9183764

Could this be organized better? I think by location would be best. Like USA - state or Canada - province.
>>
Is yaoicon worth flying to? It looks fun but I heard that the attendance numbers aren't very high.
>>
>>9183969
You mean to sell at? It'll be kinda expensive for a last minute flight unless you can find a good deal or know someone
>>
>>9183974
Yeah to sell at. I didn't mean tabling this year because it's this weekend haha. I was wondering for future reference.
>>
>>9183772
Maybe have separate sheet tabs based on country/region (Canada, USA, Europe)? Having it by upcoming dates works well imo. You can just ctrl+f for your state.
>>
Any artists here transition to becoming a vendor? I'm a craft artist and thinking about becoming a vendor and selling things that compliment my creations.

Do you think it would be worth it, or too expensive and more risky? I would sell cosplay and lolita accessories.
>>
>>9184241
>Do you have experience buying wholesale from Taobao or Aliexpress?
>Do you have solid branding?
>Do you have a display that makes you look like you belong in the vendor area instead of AA?
>Would your profit margin still be good if you payed the dealers fee against whatever you usually make in the hall?
>Do you have enough stock of your own stuff?
>>
First time selling at Katsucon this year; I'm splitting my table with a person and a friend wants to be a helper for us.

I saw that they've sold extra artist badges last year, but there's no information on their AA faq or pre-registration page. Has anyone here tried getting an extra artist badge for this year? I'm going to email them and hope for a response.
>>
>>9184488
unless you guys applied together you can't share.
>>
File: fuck.png (36KB, 1208x94px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
36KB, 1208x94px
>>9184537
Well shit. Thanks for letting me know
>>
>>9180799
I still can't find the larger ones. I've been trying to look for them for about a month now. My googlefu isn't helping me much. Any help with a hint to find a larger photo stand would be great.
>>
Can someone please recommend me a good paper for printing 11x17 prints on catprint? My sample pack never arrived and I really to get my prints printed soon.
>>
>>9184732
Heavy Cardstock Matte is pretty good. You could spring for gloss if you're into that since they're the same price.
>>
Do you guys draw on a bigger canvas than the 8.5x11 or 11x17 product and then downsize it?
>>
>>9184739
I always do digital at 800 DPI
>>
File: YyyeaaaaahhhhhDraaaaven.jpg (447KB, 951x956px) Image search: [Google]
YyyeaaaaahhhhhDraaaaven.jpg
447KB, 951x956px
Yeah ok...I'm glad I've decided to see this thing to the end. Any crit? Ignore his bottom hand case I need to see how Darius' hand is going to grip it. So that's the only WIP piece. Thanks!
>>
>>9184757
how does your computer run on 800 dpi

I usually just do 130% bigger then the size I'm drawing and downsizing it
>>
>>9184767

Sick. I can't offer any coloring advice (I only ink in black and white), but I would buy a print of this if I saw it at a con if you added a cool background to it. (Not that would actually cause I'm not a fan of LoL, but it still looks cool IMHO) I'm not a fan of blank backgrounds, but it all looks nice. The right arm looks a tad too long? But with the style, it's not that noticeable.
>>
>>9184757
>800 dpi

Jesus christ, my laptop almost kills itself above 400 dpi. I asked because I was thinking of making postcard size prints but was considering whether to draw at 8.5 x 11 just in case.
>>
>>9184855
>>9184867
Well I'm a technophile who's on /g/ alot so I've probably invested way more than I should have in my rig
>>
>>9184767
This is turning out super nice! My only critique is shading in what seems to be grey/black. I'm not familiar with this character at all so idk if it's supposed to be like...dirt or soot or something? But the black shading on his left arm in particular really bothers me - as well as the part on his chest.
>>
>>9184874
Is there any actual visible difference between 350, 600, and 800 dpi prints? I've only printed a few things (either 350 and 600) and haven't really been able to tell the difference, or chalked up any differences in quality due to different printers.
>>
>>9184767
try referring to this >>9177838 for choosing colors when shading. i agree with >>9184902
>>
>>9184928
Are you making sure to use CMYK and not RGB?
Also what size prints do you make?
350DPI compared to 800DPI totally makes a difference for 11x17, also nicer to have in case anyone ever requests a daki
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I found a acrylic charm service on taobao while i was trying to find an alternative to vograce and zap because they we're abit too expensive for me as i live in a country with a kinda low exchange rate. I decided to test it out and the result wasn't too shabby as it doesn't seem to be easily scratchable.

Heres the link to the taobao store if anyone's interested: https://world.taobao.com/item/44090850013.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-10300291803.7.7iodm2

I used an agent to contact them and send them my files as i'm pretty sure they don't ship overseas
>>
>>9184928
In my opinion, no. The most obvious reason is you aren't looking at a print up that close almost ever. A 11x17 print is going to be a poster on someone's wall, unless your face is 3" from the wall you will not be able to see a difference, your eyes just can't process it.

You can actually print a 150-200dpi image and it would still look more than fine if up-res'd in photoshop properly, though obviously it's bad practice to draw at 150dpi because you never know if you want to blow that up even more.

If your computer can handle 800 dpi then whatever, but i find i don't actually add any more appreciable detail with that much resolution so there's no point in doing so. I don't think the daki thing is releveant unless your print art already looks like daki art which is.. uh.. rare. I think, anyway. What i draw for dakis are not what i draw for prints lol.

The only time i've had to blow up my art significantly has been for canvas prints, and i've blown those up to almost 3x size because the texture of the canvas itself inherently breaks up the quality of the print anyway. It's kind of like how you can send artmoo a 300dpi file or a 600 dpi file but in the end your bag is going to come out looking like 150dpi because the fabric just isn't going to take that much detail.
>>
>>9184737
Thank you so much, anon! I'm not a fan of gloss, so I'll choose heavy cardstock matte.
>>
>>9183001
Thanks anon, that's what I needed to know. Now let's see how the European market feels about 12 euros.
>>
Protip to anyone out there using a desktop and having issues with photoshop lag. Up your ram, up your ram speed, and make sure you have a dedicated gpu. It doesn't have to be a good one, it just has to be there.

Also, if you're doing a comic, 300 dpi can look choppy in print. For artwork prints that are going to be viewed at a few feet distance it's fine, but that crisp bitmapped lineart is going to look a little crunchy in the thinner spots when you've got it closer to your face. Industry minimum on comic art is 400 dpi.
>>
What is ordering lanyards from vograce like? I sent them my files a week ago but they keep giving me nonsense replies and there's no real progress. Are they supposed to check your file and send you an outline first then show you samples?
>>
File: wut.png (373KB, 702x1135px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
373KB, 702x1135px
How not to run your shop's social media page.
>>
>>9185400
How do you run your social?
What sites should I focus my time and energy on?
Are ads on facebook or twitter worth it?
>>
>>9185057
Thanks Anon!

Side note, if your worried about your ink side scratching, I know a few people put a thin layer of resin on top of the ink side. I haven't tried it, but I would like to with some small glitter. This shop might be a good test shop if the price is decent.
>>
>>9185400
>If I wanted to pay $100 to get screwed I'd have paid a hooker!.
>Victoria Porter's assblasted comment
holy shit, my sides, what a fucking joke

>>9185533
Side note to keep in mind, multiple people have said that the layer of resin/nail varnish will yellow as it ages.
>>
My favourite post-opener on AANI recently is "this isn't AA related, but..."
>>
>>9184928
>>9184950
what??? human eyes doesn't really register a difference for anything over 300 dpi. 800 dpi won't make a difference to the naked eye. the typical printers that artist alley uses won't even print in such refined detail.
>>
>>9185082
I've seen 150 dpi prints and they look terrible ( on 11x17 prints). it's best to just stick with 300 dpi.
>>
>>9185799
...it's for when you blow up an image to a larger size anon
>>
>>9185801
300dpi is definitely the best resolution to prepare files at, considering it's the standard for printers, but 150dpi 11x17s don't look bad. I have one on my wall right now, and at five inches away you can't tell the damn difference. And who on earth is going to be regularly looking at an 11x17 print from less than five inches away?

I absolutely agree that if you're going to prepare a file for print, you want it at a minimum of 300 dpi, larger if you're going to scale down. But if you find yourself in a position with art at a lower resolution, or art at 300dpi drawn at a smaller size that you'd like to blow up to a larger print, it's really not the end of the world. They'll look fine.
>>
>>9185915
Is the visual quality affected by the art style maybe? This is just speculation, but I'd guess that a hard shaded style or something very line-art based might suffer more from upscaling than something that's very blended/painted.
>>
>>9184767

I feel like he's feeling a little flat?? I understand this might be a style choice but it's reading as a little jumbled in some areas because of it. ie. where the stuff on the blade meets the shoulder and where his hand meets his belt and the other sword??? I would just do a little work to differentiate that and i think it would help a lot.
>>
dixbuttguy here
any artists here have any tips for my style of asking for commissions or ya dig it?

getting plenty of repeat artists these days but not sure if changing the style of how i go about asking would help get new artists that havent done it before to do it?

hard remaining in the confines of watching out for staff and people that get triggered as well

i know the thread is already at bump limit
>>
just curious:
any eurofags here?
anyone flying to AA in a different country?
anyone flying to AA on a different continent?
>>
>>9185801
150 doesn't look terrible, it doesn't look amazing either. But like >>9185915 said, i'm not encouraging people to work in 150dpi, this is for situations like you drew in 8.5x11 but now you want 11x17, which actually puts you closer to 190dpi. It's fine, especially if you go through up-ressing it in photoshop first, just having PS add more pixels will do wonders for your print instead of having the printer do it alone.

I was just trying to illustrate the point that if 190 or even 150 dpi is fine, then there's really no point in saying you need 600 or 800 dpi. Like do it if you want, but customers definitely won't notice or care so there's no point in scaring some newbie with a bad computer into thinking their art won't work if they can't paint in 800 dpi.
>>
Would it be too rude when some random person passing by my table at some AA asks about my sources, and I tell them to just google it? I'm so tired of constantly having people ask where to get stuff made, charms printed etc. when most of my sources can be found with simple google search. I don't want to spoonfeed everyone I come across irl 6_6 (I'm from Europe and people in my country don't know much about outsourcing but literally charms are what I get asked about the most lol...?)
>>
>>9186779
fuck em, unless they buy something from you first
>>
>>9186790
That's the thing lmao, people who ask haven't bought anything ever from me. They just drop buy and say "Where did you get X made???" and I'm just sitting there like, ummm google it? And then they just leave with very sour expression. Like I don't owe you the answer (especially when you can easily google it)
>>
>>9186779
just tell them your friend orders them and you're not sure where
>>
>>9186779
Just tell them you don't know the information offhand but there's lots of good resources online if they research it. Essentially, just tell them to google but it in a friendly way if you're worried about being rude.
>>
i know people repeat questions every week, but god damn. aani is the same 10 questions every fucking day now. why can't people use the search function.
>>
>>9186979
>expecting millenials to not be spoonfed
>>
>>9187004
>using "millenials" unironically
>>
>>9186779
just say you get them from china and they would usually stop asking
>>
>>9186081
no but I'm interested in traveling for AAs
>>
New thread >>9187460
>>
>>9183678
i have. It was only ok in sales for me in that i live literally down the street from the old San Jose venue. They bumped the price per table to 400$ and it's really not worth it for me since the con is very very small, probably less than 3k people. I did end up making profit but i would suggest only if you're local since it was the most expensive table i had that year but the smallest and slowest con i went to (besides APE but i only attended APE)
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.