[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RenFest General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (453KB, 707x471px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
453KB, 707x471px
The Maryland Renaissance Festival opened up last weekend. Who went/plans to go? What will you wear?

Apart from Maryland anons, general discussion about Renaissance Festivals, costuming, and autistic elitism goes here.

Questions to get started:

>Do you think non-Renaissance costumes (i.e. Cosplay, faeries, lolita/Jfash) belong?

>Cider vs Ale?

>Should you include an accent with your costume?

>Cringiest thing you've seen at a RenFest?

Self post some of your costumes too if you want.
>>
>>9165183

Is the MD one worth going to? It's only like 4h away so that's not so bad I guess

>Do you think non-Renaissance costumes (i.e. Cosplay, faeries, lolita/Jfash) belong?
Cosplay no, faeries/lolita sure. Other jfash probably not? I could see something like mori fitting in pretty well

>Cider vs Ale?
Ale not close

As cringy as it is I do generally do this

There are fratbros chasing each other around with wooden swords and people cosplaying star trek/other scifi at every renfaire, but it's still cringy every time I see it.

I need to start retooling my costume a bit, I bit the bullet on those nice custom-fitted boots last year so the rest of my gear needs to catch up.
>>
File: georgia.png (8KB, 500x470px) Image search: [Google]
georgia.png
8KB, 500x470px
>>9165183
Took my kids to GA's RenFaire last year and IMO is not worth going anymore, all the kiddie rides are crazy expensive, $2 for sliding down the spiral slide or $5 to ride the jousting zip line thing. If they had a bracelet for all access for kids then I would take them.
>>
>>9165183
Last year I completely overhauled my Ren Faire garb to make it more accurate. I decided to make a late 16th century Italian kirtle. I need to make a matching camicia and partlet but I got compliments from the workers last year even with my lame chemise. Unfortunately I got no pictures of it.

Most of the friends I go with are fine with bodices and corsets with pirate blouses but I can't do it anymore. I need historical accuracy dammit!

I'm not a fan of non-Renaissance costumes, but I know everyone just wants a chance to dress up, so I'd never say anything to anyone else. Not sure why'd you wear j-fash to Faires, its very dirty at all the ones I go to.
>>
>>9165217
It's good but driving 4 hours isn't worth it if there are closer ones nearby.
>>
>>9165217
I used to go there. I liked it a lot. Warning: that sword swallower guy has done the same routine every single year for like the past 10 years, is not worth seeing more than once
>>
>>9165235
>$7
>expensive
>>
I know I see a lot of vendors selling "faerie" related merchandise, especially for young girls, so I don't know why general fantasy would be an issue. I've seen Legend of Zelda type cosplayers and I wear lolita. I seldom see this, though, so it's just normies or people in Renn wear.

>Cider vs Ale?
Cider

I try not to due to the extreme cringe. It doesn't fit for anything I tend to wear there anyway.

Stuff really out of place like Star Wars storm troopers. Normies and their behavior are otherwise really embarrassing.
>>
I just went to the one in Wisconsin this past weekend, and it was a lot of fun! It was my first time going, so I didn't have any actual garb, unfortunately. I just wore a part of my Homestuck cosplay because it has a flow-y cape. Maybe next year I'll have actual garb.

>Cider v ale?
I don't really drink, but I guess cider since it's my understanding that ale is very hoppy and I'm not a fan of beer anyway

>Accents?
I don't think I'd be able to maintain one so I'd skip it. Even though I've had to do various accents for speech and theater, there is a marked difference between memorizing set lines and applying an accent to those and just coming up with things to say on the fly.

>Cringiest thing seen?
I mean, the people dragging their small children to the r-rated shows I could have done without
>>
Reading this thread makes me sad. I wish we had big Renaissance fairs in England.
>>
have any norcal anons been to the norcal ren faire? it starts at the end of sept and i think i might actually go this year. going to try and make a 12th century bliaut since that's our hot time of year and corsets suck in the heat.

also why are all the ren faires elizabethan oriented? i see very little non 16c stuff anymore.
>>

I get a genuine kick out of cosplay that's altered to look like garb, or character-inspired faire costumes. On that subject, /r/ing any related photos anyone has... I know people have posted a few in different threads.
>>
>>9166161
It seems really weird that we don't? Most of this stuff in story is based in England so I'm not sure why we've not embraced it.
>>
I absolutely adore the RenFaire I go to every year. The historical costumes are typically so on point and have so much detail and love put into them. Also you see a lot of creativity otherwise. Faeries, monsters, armor. Its neat.

My Faire has jousting. It's pretty fucking rad.
>>
>>9166166
A good portion of them are actually run by the same company, and their unifying theme is "It's 1574 and Queen Elizabeth is visiting for the day"
>>
>>9166198
CBC did Vikingstuck last year; I have a couple images
>>
File: tumblr_nv3wjgYiBG1r35os0o6_1280.jpg (362KB, 596x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv3wjgYiBG1r35os0o6_1280.jpg
362KB, 596x900px
>>
>cringiest thing

Homestucks
>>
>>9166263
This

Watch thread derail in 3... 2... 1...
>>
>>9166261 and >>9166262
>>
>>9166166
I've gone! If you've gone to the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in SoCal, its muuuch smaller, but the location is kind of cool (its spread out among the trees at Casa De Fruta). The last three years it has been mercilessly hot, so make sure you drink lots of water. I have friends working this year so I want to go at least once.
>>
>>9165632
Not sure you have kid(s) of your own but they won't be satisfied if they only get to go down the slide once. It adds up when you have two little ones wanting to do stuff.
>>
File: bro.jpg (315KB, 1462x3461px) Image search: [Google]
bro.jpg
315KB, 1462x3461px
Hit up Bristol earlier, going again this weekend with my oldest daughter.

Yeah. They've kind of become a bit like cons, somewhat inclusive of fantasy. I've seen steampunk, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, fae.. you name it.

>Cider vs Ale?
Scotch ale.

If you want. It's fun?

This guy.
>>
>>9166350
I disagree, I think that people who slap on a pair of fairy wings and a pleather corset are worlds cringier than>>9166261 and that's not even getting into the people who walk around in attack on titan costumes. T.b.h. if OP hadn't mentioned they were cosplay inspired I would never know.
>>
File: josieresize.jpg (131KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
josieresize.jpg
131KB, 450x800px
>>9166478
And in hopes of getting others to post their costumes too... I went in Dragon Age last time, even though it was deathly humid. Met up with some other DA cosplayers and had a bunch of fun.
>>
Depends on the faire some concentrate more on historical accuracy while others are total fantasy free for alls. As long as the faire includes some fantasy elements I think it's fine.

>Cider vs Ale?
cider

Only if you can carry it off the whole time.

MLP cosplayers dripping with sweat in their wigs and polyester costumes. The pickle seller can be pretty cringe too.

I'm currently working on my costume for our little local ren faire at the end of the month.Not doing anything very fancy this year just 1530s style noble gown
>>
>>9166478
Woo Bristol! My friends and I went last weekend, though we didn't get any clear pictures of what we were wearing. We had originally planned to go the prior weekend, but the weather put a literal damper on that idea. I wish I could go back this weekend (especially since it's the last one for the season), but it's a bit out of my budget and my friend is busy selling in the AA if a con in Minnesota anyway. Out of curiosity, have you ever participated in RenQuest? It was a lot of fun and is honestly my biggest draw to go back.

>>9166263
>>9166314
>>9166350

Hey, I was just fulfilling a request. OP asked for character inspired garb. Could have been way cringier: they could have painted themselves grey.
>>
>>9166518
Wait, were the pictures you posted supposed to be homestuck? I meant I've literally seen grey trolls in black astrology t-shirts.
>>
File: DSC_7778.jpg (428KB, 1600x938px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7778.jpg
428KB, 1600x938px
I love Maryland Renaissance Festival, I try to go every year.

Cringiest shit I ever saw was a couple years ago, a fucking bloated hag of a woman in fishnets and MLP garb. Like skintight Pinkie Pie leggings, nasty Party City wig, the works. I seriously couldn't tell if this was a "cosplay" or every day kind of wear for her.

I took a picture but it's on my old phone, I'll see what I can find.
>>
>>9166532
Ah. Yes, they're supposed to be Renstuck versions of the Ancestor trolls. Agreed, actual grey and astrology t-shirts definitely qualifies as cringe.
>>
> NY Refaire 4 EVA

w/e we're not the actors

>Cider vs Ale?
cider!

nope.

not much
>>
>>9166467
Sure if you're poor as fuck and too stupid to discipline your kids.
>>
>>9166518
I have not! My oldest is 12, so we'll have to do it next year. What is it, exactly? A LARP run?
>>
>>9166601
Yep! It's $10 to play, but you get a wristband and then NPCs to interact with that the regular attendees don't. They give you a little passbook and you have to complete different tasks and get them signed off by the various NPCs. After you complete the main"episode", there are achievement quests you can do to earn points. I think it's only $5 if all you want to do is work on achievement quests. I did the traveler ("good guys") track and opted to chose mage as my class, but you could also opt to be a bard, a rogue, or a warrior, and you can choose to do the Draco disciple ("bad guys") track when you start. Apparently there are also exclusive prizes if you manage to complete enough achievement quests.
>>
>>9165235
>going on rides at a red faire

You're doing it wrong. You go for the shows!
>>
>>9165183

There is a special weekend fot that for thrle one in my state so eh doesnt bother me too much.
>Cider vs Ale?
Ale
No dont be cringy. Fucking rennies
A man in an organization xiii cloak with matted unbrushed furry head.

I'm partial to ARMA and SCA so rennies make my skin crawl a little bit but it's always a good time to bring more casual friends.
>>
>>9166462
i haven't been to the socal faire....used to go to a few faires in FL though.

yeah, hoping it's not gonna be balls hot this year, but that's why i want to do something flowy like a bliaut and be more comfy. do they let you bring bottled water? i know someplaces don't let outside drinks in, even water.
>>
>>9166198
I unfortunately don't have pictures but at the Carolina ren fair there was a Renaissance Captain Kirk that drafted my friend who was wearing a Star Trek shirt into his crew. The costume was so cool. His little pin was made of bone. The Queen stepped out of her procession to tell my friend to watch out for "That mad captain."
>>
Anyone going to this week's Ohio Rennaissance Festival?
>>
>>9167162
I have a jug that I fill with water. They make you pour a little out so they can make sure you're not bringing in hard alcohol, but I've been allowed to bring that in the past.
>>
I remember going to the Md. RF back in the late 80s and seeing Penn & Teller before they were famous.
>>
>>9166202

Which state is the faire you go to in?
>>
I "work" as local cast for my local faire. I'm not overly fond of the site itself as its gone downhill over the past coupleight years as the owner pours everything into the sister Faire instead. We have fairies at ours, but they're kinda out of place (Henry VIII/Parr era). I'm hoping upper management includes more fantasy elements in the future, but until thenow the fae will be for the kiddos.
>>
My gf is wanting to take me there during Halloween weekend. This would be my first time going. What should I expect?
>>
I've never been to a renn faire in my entire life. What should I expect? Any tips or advice?
What should I wear? I know costumes don't always matter for these things but I'd really like to be dressed up.
>>
>>9167885
Oh cool a fellow first timer!

>>9167945
*Ren
>>
>>9167885
>>9167945

Depends on the faire but in general there will be food, alcohol, games, music, sometimes rides (think swings, slides, people powered things), and assortment of crafts all with the theme of medieval or renaissance (often with a tinge of fantasy). Workers will be dressed in "period" clothing, often speaking with accents or in an archaic way. There will also be actors who add to the atmosphere, sometimes staging demonstrations or acting out scenes depicting life in the renaissance (usually in England). For the most part, you're free to interact with these people in anyway you want (don't be abusive), but most of them will be happy to talk to you, although they usually don't break character.

Costumes aren't required, but you definitely get more attention if you're dressed up. I think it kind of signals, "I'm willing to be part of the show" when you show up in garb.

My favorite parts are the shows/performers, there are a lot of very unique kinds of entertainers who make their living at ren faires. Most people want to try the find, but I find that its usually pretty middling. The artisians who sell stuff are usually pretty neat, although it can be very pricey.

What faires are you attending?
>>
>>9167945
>>9167885
Expect lots of quirky nerds in period clothing, some cosplayers here and there, lots of cool merchants with beautiful, hand-made items you probably can't afford, and some interesting shows to sit down and watch.

Bring lots of spending cash because you're gonna want to buy a shitton of stuff and not much is cheap. Normie clothes are fine, but something small like elf ears, a flower crown, or a jester hat can add a little festivity.
>>
>>9167954
The Ohio one specifically for me (pretty sure it's the only one we have? I've never really looked into it more). My stepdad used to promise that he'd take me for years on end. Here I am at 20 though, lol.
My biggest issue has just been deciding on an outfit theme or even a costume in general. I've been thinking of a satyr/faun sort of thing but I remembered that a lot of walking would be happening so that might not be a great idea.
>>
>>9167963
You will walk a shit ton, so get comfy shoes. You certainly don't have to dress up and in fact I'd say don't dress up your first year. My garb has been purchased piecemeal over years because accessories and clothes are expensive. Its also a fun thing to do at the faire, try to find a new piece for your outfit.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.605127901_riwu.jpg (293KB, 1064x1058px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.605127901_riwu.jpg
293KB, 1064x1058px
I really want to have a costume specific for renaissance festivals. I guess I'd have to sort of come up with an OC/persona design but I think I'd love to do one of those realistic fursuit heads (i.e. Clockwork Creature) of a housecat, plus a tail and hand paws etc. And wear a suit of armor. Sort of a feline knightess. Sounds pretty cringey out loud desu. But I feel like it would play into the fantasy bit of RenFaire to have animal knights, sort of a Redwall kind of vibe.
>>
File: koratwestern.jpg (218KB, 366x701px) Image search: [Google]
koratwestern.jpg
218KB, 366x701px
>>9169017
I was inspired by things like this. Nothing terribly cartoony and no full fursuit, just armor or some sort of renaissance garb plus an animal head and tail. I think it'd be fun to have a whole clan of various animal knights.
>>
>>9169017
>>9169019
Not sure where you live but ren faires are often super hot. I can't imagine that wearing even a partial fur suit would be very fun, let alone wearing a suit of armor.
>>
>>9169022

Definitely something I considered. The Maryland RenFaire is my local one, and it runs until end of October so I think at best I'd only be able to pull this off in the cooler months.
>>
>>9169022
Yeah, there's no way this would be doable at Bristol since that one only runs early July through Labor Day (ie, during the hottest months of the year)
>>
>>9167288
I think this is the NY faire? they have jousting,
>>
>>9169106
I mean I've seen people dressed in fursuits at the Southern California faire (April and May, in-land and no shade) and I don't know how they weren't passing out because even people dressed normally were roasting.
>>
>>9169121
Bristol also has jousting.
>>
>>9169583
lots of them have jousting. the FL ones i used to go to had it, and the norcal one has it as well.
>>
I might be going to the Maryland festival on the 8th or 9th of October. I'll most likely be in normie clothes again, whoo.
>>
I saw a Homestuck troll and a Mononoke at Bristol today. Uh..
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.