[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cosplay nitpicks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (173KB, 748x739px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 748x739px
what are some little things that distract from an otherwise good cosplay?
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 750x1031px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 750x1031px
>>9158606
>>
When people wear wigs straight out of the packaging and don't bother styling it or just brush the bangs to one side.
>>
>>9158611
this though ugh I fucking hate dabbing. I dont understand why everyone thinks its so funny or cool.
>>
>>9158622
I was referring to the random whale in a group of normal-sized girl but ya dabbing too
>>
>>9158632
Dunno if being fat is a nitpick. Her outfit matches the group and since it's not close up, can't tell construction, but it doesn't look awful. She obviously made it to her body well enough by lengthening the skirt too.
>>
>>9158606
>>9158611
>skeletor is upset their shitty cosplay doesn't get attention while fatties get recognized for their game
Suck it up buttercup or get better so people can look past your body in lieu of craftsmanship.
>and I don't like hamwhalebeasts in shit cosplay inb4
>>
>>9158651
Op here
-10/10 you tried.
>>
>>9158606
Non-accurate shoes. Shoddy accessories. Cheap wigs.
>>
>Not mitering bias tape corners.
It looks so bad when you just overlap or fold them over, and it could look so nice and clean.

>Not ironing your costume.
There is an iron in every hotel room. There is not excuse here!

>Old running shoes
Unless it's a rare instance where the character actually wears a beaten up and dirty pair of old shoes, don't wear them!

>Guys not wearing makeup
I'm not talking full eye shadow and lip liner, but just basic foundation even. Stop looking all sweaty and gross.

>Guys not wearing dance belts
Kids are eye level with your crotch. They don't need to see that!
>>
>>9158681
>>Guys not wearing dance belts
THE WORST. There's no way they can't see that their junk is clearly visible. I always see this with the damn Deadpools
>>
File: MODS.png (177KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
MODS.png
177KB, 480x368px
>>9158652
>implying the truth is trolling
Your thread belongs in the >>>/trash/
>>
>>9158681
>The amount of guys that don't know dance belts even exist.

I don't know why they think that freeballing it in nothing but a spandex bodysuit is going to be okay.
>>
When the costume is otherwise good but the prop is left unsanded and it looks like a nuclear disaster. Sand those fucking props. it IS noticeable if you didn't bother to do it.
>>
STOP FAT SHAMING
#effyourbeautystandards
#bodypositive
>>
>>9159186
>#
>4chan
>>>/out/
>>
>>9158622
I mean at least this is a good dab. They are all pointing the same direction and at the same angle
>>
File: e37.png (24KB, 425x404px) Image search: [Google]
e37.png
24KB, 425x404px
>>9159192
>>
>Details that are poorly sewn
I once saw this gorgerous costume afar but when gettin closer all the details were badly sewn

>Wrong colour wigs
There's a character that have greenish blonde hair, all cosplays I've seen have blonde hair

>Material choices
Everyone knows cheap satin and basic cotton

>Costume is wrongly tailored
The fabric keeps pulling everywhere
>>
>>9158611
God, I thought I could escape dabbing by avoiding Kpop fans. Damn it.

OT,
>People not styling their wigs/Wearing them right out of the box
This one isn't that big of a deal for me, just a minor thing.

>No makeup
This one is a given.

>Not wearing dance tights/stockings with shorts or skirts
Again, this is just a personal thing. It's not going to absolutely make or break a costume for me but...It's a preference.

>Inaccurate shoes
Please, even if you find something remotely close out of Payless, buy them. If you can spend however much you did making/buying the cosplay, you can spend a little extra to find shoes that (at least) match the cosplay. Shoes should always be factored in to the the cosplay cost.

>People who just throw on the cosplay out of the bag
At least try it on when you get it and make sure that it fits you properly.
>>
When people use solid coloured plain fabrics when cosplaying from cartoons. Unless you're going for the full 2-D look on everything, take some creative liberties with nicer fabric
>>
>>9159248
I actually love it when people cosplay Disney like this with plain bright colors because usually it looks so crisp and clean. No added beading or trims for the sake of making the cosplay look fancier or more difficult.
>>
>>9159248
v for jellyfat
>>
>>9159248
Are you actually complaining that people are making accurate cosplays? Any other fabric and it wouldn't look like her dress.
>>
Photographer here! I was almost going to work with that Kitana cosplayer but I am glad I didn't. Even though she played victim and tried to make it look bad on me. I am not having any of that.
>>
>>9159269
Is it because she's fat or another reason?
>>
>>9159248
This is an extreme nitpick. She looks great, what is the issue?
>>
>>9159269
Hi George. How about you take your petty drama elsewhere.
>>
>>9159291
This IS the nitpick thread.
>>
>>9159248
Anon I understand your sentiment. Maybe it's just because I'm coming from a Lolita fashion background, but I personally prefer to see costumes that fill in the extra detail. It just makes it that much more interesting to look st. If someone chooses to go for an exact interpretation, I think the expectations for construction and accuracy are even higher. Not a pleat out of place!
>>
>>9159352
People don't have to agree with them though.

I don't understand what kind of fabric anon thinks would suit the cosplay better than what the character actually wears. Satin? Something with a print? Seems overly flashy and unnecessary to me.
>>
>>9159352
I'm waiting to see how ridiculous these nitpicks get.
>>
Nitpick: That Sailor Mars' wig looks like shit
Sincerely,
The Sailor Mars of the group OP posted.
>>
>>9159269
Lol shut the actual fuck Dinnerfortwo Photography. Your photography name even insinuates you're forever alone.
>>
>>9159269
Sorry, I meant "Zero Expertise Cosplay Photography" Which is even more of a joke than your original name.
>>
>>9158611
ayy fellow irish anon
>>
>>9158606
obesity
>>
Piercings
>>
>frayed edges and loose thread
>fabric that hasn't been hemmed AT ALL
>props that haven't been sanded or refined in any way
>tinfoil used as a final layer
>>
>>9160096
>tinfoil used as a final layer
People do this? What
>>
>>9160098
>>9160096
My friend uses this silver tape that looks like foil over her swords instead of painting them. I suggested different paints that could mimic metal and she said she didn't like the look of paint(??)

Like that's find I guess if you want your swords to keep looking like shiny globs of playdough
>>
>Tallest girls in a group cosplaying the shortest characters
Yes everyone is allowed to cosplay whoever they want, it just looks off
>>
>>9160499
>tfw nico
>everyone in group shorter than me (by a few inches)
>make everyone else wear heels and i get ugly flats
>>
>no wigs
>Piercings
> tattoos
>not taking your body type into consideration

Like i get this Like body positivity coombyah whatever but at least think about it overall

I think no wig or a poorly styled one hurts the most. Because more often then not it ruins what might have been an alright cosplay.
>>
When people try to do that over-the-top almost gyaru style eye makeup, for every cosplay, without thinking about how it suits their eye/face shape.
I get that you want to have big animu eyes, but fuck, at least put a little thought into styling it for your face and for your character instead of slapping the same thing on every time.
>>
>>9160060
This. Piercings always ruin good cosplay.
>>
>>9160564
Jnig?
>>
>>9159380
Maybe just something with a little bit of texture?
>>
>>9160644
They said gyaru, not raccoon
>>
>>9159380
Not that anon, but I think clothing should be made from clothing fabric like twill or brocade instead of muslin and quilting cotton. The lack of texture looks gross
>>
>>9160743
The problem there is that many artists who create these characters don't know anything about textiles. They may know how a shirt hangs off of someone, or how a dress looks when someone twirls, but generally they don't know what fabrics those garments need to be made of to get that kind of drape or flow.
So, when recreating these outfits in real life, costumers have to constantly juggle real world textiles, accuracy to the character, and what is possible for them to do given their current skill level.
>>
>>9159248
I completely agree. You spent all the time making that outfit, you could have spent $100 more and got period appropriate fabrics that really push the costume to a "wow" level instead of a "clean and accurate" level.
>>
>>9158611
>>9158622
at my comm's megameet some weeb suggested we do this and in the group photo the photographer made everyone dab...
>>
>>9160903
I helped out at a photobooth at a con. A Kung Fury cosplayer came up, so I suggested a bunch of 80s style poses. She just wanted to dab. I fucking hate kids.
>>
>>9160903
Hey are we in the same comm? Same thing happened to me and it was honestly awful. It was already taking too long to take photographs in the first place.
>>
File: kuri83.jpg (268KB, 476x635px) Image search: [Google]
kuri83.jpg
268KB, 476x635px
Bad props.Hands down
>>
>>9165123
That prop looks good to me anon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vendetta?
>>
>>9165123
is there supposed to be smth wrong with this cosplay?
>>
People that enter contests at far higher skill levels than their own. Then turn around and bitch about not winning anything. It's a total nitpick, but I know this girl who enters at master's levels because she won at small cons in the past. And she constantly leaves out key elements of a costume or you can see her hemming puckering really bad. But nope she's a Master!
>>
>>9165197
you do realize cons have rules saying if you've entered or won a certain amount of contests you HAVE to enter at masters? No matter the size of the con. Them complaining is one thing, contests should honestly be about improving yourself and learning, but that doesn't have anything to do with the con's rules or their ego.
>>
"nude" illusion fabric. it just catches my eye super quickly and looks so fake. if you don't want to show skin, choose a more conservative costume or alter the design a bit!
>>
>>9165438
You do realize this is a nitpick thread?
>>
>>9165447
But that's not a cosplay nitpick, that's a con nitpick
>>
>>9165455
Dude are you just dumb? It's a cosplay nitpick to the T. Someone who gets bolstered by small wins entering a low skill level in big contests is a cosplay nitpick.
>>
>>9165438
Not all cons follow the same ICG guidelines. And some cons are considered "international level", which have Masters held to a higher standard. Cons that aren't as big, not getting the 2000+ attendees, usually don't see the same caliber of masq contestants. It's for that very reason that many cons in Canada have added Artisan as a tier between Journeyman and Master, because people winning in small local cons suddenly competing with people on an international and professional costuming level caused a massive gap to be seen in skill sets.
Anime North, for example, will allow some people who may have won enough awards at a smaller con to stay at their current level if they wish for that specific convention. Though the reverse is also true, and if the judges feel that you should be in a higher class, they will ask if you would like to be bumped up. Though that usually only happens in the Novice and Journeyman levels.

The point is, not all cons follow the same rules, and many times it comes down to judges discretion.
>>
>>9159269
Your name is "Teh Princess" You can't even spell that shit right.
>>
File: Piss off.jpg (14KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
Piss off.jpg
14KB, 227x222px
>>9159212
>>
>>9160884
Fun fact: Disney used to actually make the clothes and have people act as the characters so they could animate them more accurately

But this was around sleeping Beauty ages
>>
>>9159248
this
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 604x340px
:/
>>
>>9165584
doubtful
>>
>>9165444
Agree and disagree. If you want to cosplay a character and remain modest I think the best option is to lengthen/widen the costume itself instead of using skin fabric because it looks more natural to the character, but sheer mesh and other fabrics are sometimes vital to making unrealistic designs have a form and be wearable at all.
>>
>>9165123
>>9165132
>>9165186
I can't really see any mistakes besides the yellow paint smudged all over the black.
>>
I used to be annoyed when people didn't stuff their bra when they cosplayed characters with comically large tits, but that was when I was a horny little shit head
>>
>>9158622

Because Cam Newton said so.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.