[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are my fellow seagulls' opinion on this movie? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: kg01_l1.jpg (284KB, 800x1165px) Image search: [Google]
kg01_l1.jpg
284KB, 800x1165px
What are my fellow seagulls' opinion on this movie?

It's been one of my favorites since I first saw it, but I really really hate Momoko. She's the ultimate special snowflake.
>>
I got into lolita not so long ago, around 2 years ago was when I started actually wearing it. I absolutely love old school lolita but I found Kamikaze Girls to be a pretty average to below average movie. I don't get why everyone loves it. Is it just because the main character is a lolita? Or is it something I don't understand because I'm not an oldfag?
>>
>>9155106
>She's the ultimate special snowflake.

So, a typical lolita?
>>
>>9155186
Most lolitas who are part of a comm actually aren't special snowflakes at all. Only newbs and ~lone lolitas~ summer from SSS, usually.
>>
>>9155107
I'm not an oldfag either, I'm not even particularly into Lolita. But this movie is giving such glorious huge nostalgia vibes. People are always just talking about the lolita aspect, but always forget about the yankee/bosozoku part of it. It literally shows a slice of the old days. Maybe that's why people in the age of 19+ like it as we are generation Y forever living in the past
>>
>>9155106
God it's so /tv/ in here.

>movies suck but we watch them anyway
>>
>>9155106
That's the whole plot. She only cares about her own happiness and lolita becomes an extension of that for her. But she grows and learns that friendship and caring for others is important. Now I'm getting teary eyed thinking about the scene with Momoko and Ichigo at the river.
>>
>>9155106
She's honest about what she wants, and I kinda like that? She's not saying "muh anxiety, I need these dresses for my depression and dysphoria, because I identify as a lolita" - the film acknowledges that she's a terrible person who lies to get money from her father, and sees other people as being inconvenient at best.

Spend any amount of time on Rufflechat, and you too will be ready to get the baseball bat out. To me, it's a glorious movie about a girl in pretty dresses who gets what she wants and is done with other people's shit. Who cares about plot? Pretty dresses and vindication are what I'm here for.
>>
>>9155106

I found the manga pretty average when I just barely got into lolita. I couldn't really get into the whole "two freaks realise the value of friendship" plot.

But by the time I rewatched it two years later I'd gotten some btssb that was relatively cheap, but to beginner me it was super precious. So when Momoko got blood on her dress, then got pushed into a bloody, dirty pond, I actually gasped. Then I laughed.

Then there was the whole themed cafe that always looks so cool -- on other people's blogs. In person they generally look every bit as tacky as they do in the movie.

And then there's the image of Momoko being out in the boondocks and regular people just living their lives around her weirdness. Kind of like when you wear lolita for the first time out and your friends/family are like "oh, you're weird today, oh, okay".

And Jusco. Have you tried explaining that your dress costs $200-300 to someone and they keep getting stuck over the price tag?

The whole movie was basically like that for me. I guess it's a really subjective experience, though, if you're rich enough not to care what happens to your dress then the bloody pond moment means nothing to you, if you've never gone to a tacky themed cafe meetup then the her cafe just looks dumb, if you've got a big comm in your area then your lolita-in-public experience will be nothing like Momoko's, and lolita is pretty cheap compared to high brand so you're less likely to get people questioning why you're not satisfied with Jusco-level clothes. And I guess I'd never been that much of a freak or lone wolf, which is why the friendship theme doesn't really speak to me either.

I think that's all there is to why some girls love the movie so much. When you come across the moments in the movie where you "get it", it's like meeting a kindred spirit who completely understands you and is right there making inside jokes that only you can understand. At least, that's what I think.
>>
>>9155355 was meant for >>9155186, misquoted, sorry.
>>
>>9155355
I agree with this post completely. I liked Momoko and Ichiko and I thought the whole thing was a fun movie, wrapping a lolita's fantasies in the reality we all know too well, to comedic effect.
>>
>>9155355
>Have you tried explaining that your dress costs $200-300 to someone and they keep getting stuck over the price tag?
This makes normies flip their shit like nothing else. Not to mention the amount of judgement you'll get afterwards.
>>
>>9155223
I'm 20, but I'm not sure I'm really the group you're defining here. I like the movie aesthetically, but that's about as far as it goes.
>>
>>9155298
You sound like momoko before her character growth
>>
>>9155106
Love it for the MAJOR nostalgia vibe,the dumb humor,and the yanki/lolita relationship was cute as fuck.
Watched it several times in the past and own the book.
>>
>>9155355
>>9155417
All of this.
The scene with the bloody muddy dress made me audibly gasp the first time, it still makes me gasp inside though.
>>
It's also just a really funny movie. The cabbage scene gets me every time. The jusco scene is great. All the characters are hilarious. Like, aside from the lolita stuff it's also a really great kitchsy movie. If I want to feel special lolita snowflake nostalgia feels, I have the book for that (I feel like Momoko's a little more of a dick in it but it spoke very strongly to my 12 year old heart, plus it's how I discovered the lolita brands)
>>
I love the movie for ichigo's plot line with the bikers and stuff. I can take or leave momoko's story. Apart from the beginning bits about her family, those are great.
>>
>>9155635
It's so obnoxious how judgmental normies are about the cost of lolita, as if they don't spend that much each month on their own frivolous expenses like going out to eat, bars, cigarettes if they smoke, etc.
>>
>>9155792
Yeah its cause they have such a narrow view of clothing. They view as a necessity and of course in western areas, they make things like food out to be a hobby.
>>
I thought the point of Momoko was she's a special snowflake?
>>
>>9155864
They also are so used to sweatshop prices that they don't understand how much clothes really cost. People don't get that if you're spending $20 on a nice dress, it's because the people making it were paid like 10 cents a day if they're lucky. Then they go and shame people who are willing to spend the extra money on clothes not made by slaves.

Like seriously, fuck people who self-righteously push their cheapness on others.
>>
>>9156283
Doesn't make her any less annoying
>>
>>9156580
Most of Japanese burando is also produced in China for only a few cents, as pretty much all brand (non Japanese/Japanese) is. So this argument is pretty much invalid
>>
File: 1465521373363.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465521373363.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
>>9156729
>>
>>9156729
I'm no way an expert in this but I would think that the most horrific sweat shops are not able to produce the quality brand has. Of course it's not that high quality but better than HM and more detailed. Atleast I don't see that much of a difference with my dresses manufactured in Japan compared to the ones made in China. Brands aren't also making that much money, otherwise they would have expanded or something. I wonder if it's better to those people working in bad conditions for cheap to have their money even if it's little or is it doing them more harm?
>>
>>9156729
No, in Japan Made in China=/=sweatshops like it does in the USA.
>>
>>9155277
I feel you.
>>
I wish I had Momoko's fearlessness. Well, not all of it, I just wish that I could be brave enough to get what I want with no compromise.
Well, without scamming my parents.
>>
>>9156841
I'm pretty sure my brand dresses win quality wise from H&M, I really don't see how you can see them as 'equal quality'
>>
>>9157004
Stop taking the bait anon.
>>
>>9157028
lol true sorry :')
>>
>>9156580
You don't own anything from taobao or bodyline?
>>
>>9155106
I love its campy ott acting and comedic effects, the outfits, and mostly enjoy it for the nostalgic factor. It's nothing Oscar worthy though.

I think even back when it came out, I thought Momoko was a special snowflake (seriously, wearing lolita in 18th century France?), however, she was a teenager, so I can kind of forgive her for that.
>>
>>9156800
The position of workers is stronger now in China anyway, hence why so many companies are moving production again to countries like Vietnam, India and the Philippines.
>>
>>9155106
I hated it when I first watched it and found it boring, partly because I was only watching it for the lolita aspect but despite being a lifestyler Momoko actually spends a lot of time wearing random floral print nightdresses, partly because this was in 2012 and I wasn't interested in old-school anyway. It's grown on me though, and the biker gang aspect always makes it just about appealing enough for the bfs I've had to watch and enjoy, which is something.
>>
I recently saw it for the first time but I liked Momoko''s transformation even though at the end she was still a little spoiled so she didn't fully abandon her principles like some movies do. I loved Ichigo''s parts though and could have had a whole movie about her but her and Momo's friendship made it for me. Also I'm terrible and shipped them halfway through because would love a lolita gf even though I don't wear it myself and I'm closer to yanki style than anything else.
>>
>>9157835
>Also I'm terrible and shipped them halfway through
Actually, in the book it's briefly stated at the end that Momoko realized she's in love with Ichigo when they're riding away together.
>>
>>9157383
I don't, actually. I don't own a single lolita item that's not AP, BtSSB/AatP, or Moitie besides an old school Meta skirt.

However, I highly doubt every Taobao item is made in a sweatshop.
>>
>>9157975
It has seemed to me that some of them are smaller businesses with few seamstresses. Don't know tho, maybe I'm just too optimistic. I don't buy from Taobao that much but I always try to avoid things made in poor conditions but it's really hard and I'm too selfish to give up smart phone etc.
>>
>>9158012
It's near impossible to live a normal life and have a normal job without cellphone where I live. But I'm quite convinced a lot of the things from taobao are made in sweatshop conditions, otherwise I don't see how it can be so cheap compared to lolita brands in Japan and the west.
>>
>>9157975
>However, I highly doubt every Taobao item is made in a sweatshop.
Well yeah, not everything. I've bought handmade stuff from shops there. It really is just like a chinese ebay.
>>
>>9156580
This is a very ignorant attitude to take, how much you spend on something does not mean that it is made in an ethical way.
>>
>>9158156
The cheaper the clothing, the higher the likelihood that it wasn't.
>>
>>9158176
This isn't remotely true.
>>
>>9158179
Anon, if you're paying $10 for a dress nicer than a potato sack, it was made in a sweatshop.
>>
>>9158194
That doesn't sound like what the person I replied to was saying?
By their logic, if you pay $10 for a dress it wasn't made in a sweat shop.
This isn't true at all. I think MOST things are made in sweatshops. Like even the handmade stuff I got on taobao, was probably made from materials that came from a sweatshop.
>>
>>9157920
I may have to read the book for this. Thanks anon!
>>
>>9158206
>how much you spend on something does not mean that it is made in an ethical way
>The cheaper the clothing, the higher the likelihood that it wasn't
I think you're simply misunderstanding them anon.
>>
>>9157395
This. It's just so much fun to watch!
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.