[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character Fabric Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: poop.jpg (247KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
247KB, 1200x1200px
So I work at Joann now and automatically get a 20% discount on this so what is it REALLY good for? What do y'all use it for?

I've heard lining for costumes, but then you can't see it so I don't see a point in that as it's rarely discounted. Recently I made a reusable pad out of Zelda fabrics (I bleed all over Link's face and I'm damn proud).

Do you have any projects you've done with this marvelous character cotton? Or have any examples?? I'd like to see it.
>>
I've seen people do the simple skirt thing with it.

I think if I find a print I really like I'll make some PJs or maybe some overalls or something like that.
>>
My grandma bought some Marvel fabric and made me a circle skirt as a present.
Other than that, PJs like the other person said, the fleece ones can be used for throw blankets and pillow covers. I've seen itas try to make fandom lolita dresses before but imo it looks awful when people try to make jsks out of it.

btw, how are the employee discounts at jo-ann? is it just 20% off everything? curious about how much you get off certain departments.
>>
I've used them for lolita bloomers. Less cringly than a dress but I guess technically would fall back into the "you won't see it" category.
>>
>>9133435
I've made a few pencil bags for fun. They don't get used much though so a bit useless
>>
File: swpjs.jpg (142KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
swpjs.jpg
142KB, 700x525px
I have a couple dresses I've made for comic conventions, small accessories like dice bags and zippered bags, and summer pajama/lounge pants with big pockets. I usually have headphones in while sewing, cooking, or house cleaning so lack of pockets drive me crazy. I'm wearing these shorts right now.
>>
>>9137499
Forgot, I've also used it to line hoods on solid color hoodies. A touch of nerd without being overwhelming.
>>
>>9137392
Not OP, but I also work at Joann. It's just 20% off your total purchase. It's good on sale stuff, but can't be combined with other coupons (i.e. if you're only buying one thing and you have a 50% off coupon you want to use on it, you can't use the coupon and the discount)
>>
>>9133435
I would love to have a pillow out of that ivory zelda fabric.
Anyways, here's some ideas:
>Lining
>Curtains (my mom used to make a lot of curtains out of character fabric when I was little)
>Pillowcases
>Handkerchief
>A normie polo shirt with buttons
>Shorts
>Pajama pants
>Crop top
>Simple t-shirt
>Circle skirt
>Oversized sweater
>A school-ish jacket
>Bowtie/Tie
>A normal bow for your hair
>Overalls (I'm imagning a more decora-ish kind of outfit)
>A cover for stuff (iron board, iron, laptop, mixer, toaster, you do you)
>Bed sheets/cover
>A pencil bag/make up bag
>A tote bag
>A cover for a table
>Re-decoration for a chair, sofa or so
>Teddybears or any kind of simple plushie
>Pretty much anything you might feel creative for

Things that you shouldn't do with them
>Lolita anything
>Cosplay
>>
>>9137544
>Lolita anything
I think >>9137408 's idea of bloomers is the exception to this personally
>>
>>9137536
Huh, I work at Joann too and I've been able to use both of those(employee discount + coupon) in the same purchase.
>>
>>9137576
How many items did you purchase? You can't use a coupon and the employee discount together on one item.

I bought some fabric strips and a square ruler two days ago. The employee discount only took off $1.12 since I used a 40% off coupon for the ruler, which was $18.99.
>>
I've got some of the mario fabric I'm making into a patchwork quilt for a friend. I also bought some of the Dr. Who fabric and used to make a cooking apron for gift exchange.
>>
>>9137588
Oh, that makes sense. I usually buy a bunch of stuff when I make a purchase so I didn't think about just one item.

>>9137610
Also, a quilt sounds like a great idea. It's not character fabric per se, but I've been working on a 'pixel' quilt of a Ponyta where each pixel is a square of patterned cotton. It's really time consuming but it's turning out pretty nice.
>>
File: 20160722_104132.jpg (313KB, 1596x898px) Image search: [Google]
20160722_104132.jpg
313KB, 1596x898px
Simplicity repackaged a bunch of their old/existing patterns to market to the nerd crowd. Most of them are obvious but I think the color block dress in the front stands out as it breaks up the busyness of the fabric
>>
>>9137850
>dat gaptooth model
>>
A cute dress
>>
Jacket lining! An aquaintance of mine bought a second hand leather jacket and replaced the torn lining with Toy Story fabric. Really cute desu.
>>
>>9143494
I like this idea, I think the Star Wars flannel would work well for lining jackets given how warm and soft it is. Though I'd only do it with a jacket with a hood so it's at least partially visible. Otherwise it makes more sense to use regular solid flannel.
>>
>>9137850
I like the Zelda backpack. That would work really well for wandering around cons in cosplay so you don't have to worry about lugging a purse.

I'm planning on making reusable shopping bags out of character cotton with slightly thicker fabric for the bottom. Bags cost extra money in my city so I wanted to make something sturdy that's also easily collapsable to stuff in a backpack.
>>
>>9143494
I really like this idea. I think I might do something like that.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.