[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 96

File: confused seagull.jpg (53KB, 497x380px) Image search: [Google]
confused seagull.jpg
53KB, 497x380px
Last thread >>9119227

Ask for help, get advice, etc.
>>
>>9132029
Depends on the fabric type. Test it on a swatch.
>>
I'm very new to lolita and bought my first dress. I don't plan on wearing it anytime soon because I still want to plan and build the wardrobe, but I was wondering what type of hangers I should use so I don't damage the straps or stretch the dress out. Would wood be optimal?
>>
>>9132167
i don't see why plastic wouldn't work (good ones, not store hangers)
>>
>>9132167
For straps that have elastic, I fold them over the hangar bar and hang them. I've had the elastic stretch out because of the weight of the dress. Never again.
I also am in the process of trading out my plastic hangers for velvet ones. They're thinner, and grip straps better. I used to use the ones with the notches for jsks but I'm worried about it damaging the lace or tulle trim on the straps
>>
File: San 2.jpg (26KB, 399x266px) Image search: [Google]
San 2.jpg
26KB, 399x266px
I'm making a Princess Mononoke cosplay for Otakon. It's the first costume I've ever made, and the hood was by far the hardest part. I made it a separate piece from the cape. It looks good when it's on, but I can't really see out of the mask so I can't wear it while walking around; I can only have it up for pictures. I'm having trouble figuring out how to rig it up so I can put it 'down' and have it hang on my back. I don't think attaching it to the tunic thing would work because it's already bearing the weight of the cape and adding more weight would make the tunic pull up at the neckline. Any ideas?
>>
>>9132275
I did a cosplay with a similar mask+fur cape thing recently, I just had the mask part resting on my head for most of the con. How well does it stay on your head?
>>
>>9132284
Not well. The hood reaches midway down my back and the weight of the mask is not enough to keep it on top of my head. Also, I imagine even if I could get it to rest on my head, it would be a nightmare with it pulling on my wig.
>>
>>9132290
Hm, yeah weight's definitely your enemy here.
I'm not sure what else to tell you, aside from just carrying it around and putting it on for pictures.
Best of luck anyway!
>>
>>9132235
I'll look into those too, the ones that are kind of sticky? (Not really sticky but grip well)

>>9132246
Thank you that is exactly what I was worried about. The shoulder straps are elastic and I'm using a hanger with notches. I will try folding it thank you!
>>
Cant seem to figure out what i need to store all my lolita stuff ill be buying in. Ive looked at wardrobes and open closet thingies on ikea but im just lost as to what would be a good purchase. Any suggestions or reviews on what to buy or stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.
>already looked in the room threads im looking for specific things rather than room layouts and color inspo.
>>
Anyone know where to get cute rectangular tins to stare a lot of pens, pencils, and markers? I didn't find much on my usual sites.
>>
>>9132525
aliexpress/ebay. there are threads for both of those right now. i think there are a few links to some stationery shops in the aliexpress thread that would have things like that.
>>
>>9132547
Thank you! I was going to cry if I had to get the ugly clear plastic pencil cases at Walmart.
>>
File: zeladorcosplay.jpg (100KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
zeladorcosplay.jpg
100KB, 900x598px
Which character is this?
>>
>>9132607
Patchouli from Touhou...
>>
Making some armor out of foam to fit my chest, and I was wondering, since I don't have anything with that gentle of a curve, would over-bending it be alright, or would that fuck it up completely?
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 640x884px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 640x884px
I have this bodyline dress in pink x white that I bought a few years ago that I haven't worn. Does anyone have any cosplay ideas that I can modify it into? Thanks in advance
>>
File: Sketch7093549.jpg (829KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch7093549.jpg
829KB, 1280x960px
Anyone know what type of fabric these are or something visuallyI similar? Thanks
>>
How do you guys narrow down which cosplays you want to do for a con? I have so many ideas, many of which are possible and enticing, but I don't want to be the person who tries to pack 7 cosplays into one weekend.
>>
>>9133368
On the off chance this is not b8, making a good cosplay takes a great amount of time and money, anon.
>>
>>9133368
I make sure to have that one big fancy (sometimes the popular thing) cosplay. Only one (or two if Fridays work for you), any more and you'd be burning yourself out both making and wearing it.
The thing is that you don't make/buy every fucking thing that catches your attention for 5 minutes. You plan it out based on what conventions you can have it done by or would be best to wear it to. That makes it easier deciding what to wear to a con.
>>
Oldfag anon who took a long hiatus here.

I know nothing about anime unless I'm browsing /cgl/. Can anyone tell me the latest popular animes (at cons specifically)?

I left around the time when Love Live and Kill la Kill were getting popular. I just want to seem "with it".
>>
>>9132491
What exactly are you looking to store? Headbow? The actual dresses themselves? I need more info to help. How much lolita do you have now?
>>
>>9132491
Could you give more details?
>>
Cosplay/con behavior question - if someone wants to take a picture of my costume, I assume they want me to pose in-character. But if I'm taking a picture with someone whose cosplay I'm geeking out about, while I'm still in cosplay, am I still supposed to pose seriously?

I know there's not really blanket rules and it's ultimately up to the individual, but I'm just trying to gauge what's typical/expected.
>>
>>9133449
Why don't you just watch some?
>>
>>9133503
I'm not really a fan of the art style. I've watched a couple but eh... not my thing.
>>
File: e2a.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e2a.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>9133511
Why are you on 4chan?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (75KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
75KB, 1500x1500px
>>9133472
Bought a headdress and its still in the packaging. I still need a garment rack that can store the shoes blouses and socks before i buy anything else. I also remembered that i need to know how to properly store pettis so they stay poofy. Looking for something pic related but i was wondering also what all 'yall use to keep your lolita stuff mold and damage free.
>>
>>9133552
I dunno, man. Must have been why I left.
>>
I have a 65 cm waist, what size latex waist trainer should I get?
Also, are latex waist trainers actually good?
>>
>>9133449

Why are you going to an anime convention if you don't like anime?
>>
>>9133449
One Punch Man
Osomatsu
>>
>>9133561
I pack my pettis in plastic ziplock bags after they've been washed and dried. The scrunching of the petti helps to keep it puffy and not deflate. Headdresses go on vintage hat boxes. I drape a sheet over my clothes to protect from dust and light exposure. Don't really worry about mold where I'm from, but they have hanging cedar blocks to put in your closet that sucks out the moisture
>>
File: 1470641205515.jpg (40KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
1470641205515.jpg
40KB, 427x640px
Can anyone tell me what they think the materials are for the glowing bodice part? Is it some kind of reflective tape? The cosplay I'm trying to put together has a lot of light up elements on the body, and this is the first time I'm dealing with it. I figured out the top for the most part, but the character wears thigh highs that have a glowing pattern similar to the bodice on the dress in the picture. I'm hoping this is a tape or something because I'm not sure how I'll be able to attach anything more than that to a pair of faux thigh highs and not have the wire or battery pack visible
>>
Would it be okay to buy one of these mermaid tail skirts on Etsy or should I get it custom made? Of course, it's cheaper on Etsy ($50) but I wasn't sure if I should shell out more just to ensure that it's great quality. I've already asked two commissioners. One I couldn't find any reviews for (so idk if I'll actually use them) said they could do it for $150 while the other (that has way more cosplay photos on their Facebook page) said they could do it starting at $250. I just really don't know.
>>
>>9134461
Its probably LED tape/wire. Its thin and light, but you'll have to get creative with power for it.
>>
I need help with blood/scrape makeup. Preferably makeup that actually is set and dry. I've used the gel kind you can get at Halloween before and really didn't like how it stayed "wet" and never quite stopped running. It really didn't give a good real-blood look by the time it decided to stop running everywhere.

I'm looking to add face/arm scrapes, cut across the nose, forehead wound, in addition to looking like I've rolled down a hill. Going to a con, I'd rather not get all of this on other people as I might brush near them.

Does anyone have any good tips on the correct makeup to get or decent tutorials? I'm sure there are plenty out there but I'm not sure which are actually useful.
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-06+at+07.26.51).jpg (144KB, 800x646px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-06+at+07.26.51).jpg
144KB, 800x646px
So I'm trying to make pic related.
Currently in the planning phase and am drawing out measurements and deciding on materials.
I can figure out how to make every part of this except for the big fucking tank and metal frame that holds it in place.
What if I buy a huge fucking block of styrofoam and carved it into the shape of the tank, smoothed it out, covered it in some sorta sealant or some other coating, and painted it chrome
Or should I use something that isn't styrofoam?
>>
>>9134707
I really like Fresh Scab by Ben Nye for wounds; it is a gel and will look congealed, plus it oxidizes a bit, so it's fairly realistic. Also invest in plains dust (or just use cinnamon/cocoa powder), which will be good for making you look dirty. I'm not the best at open wounds, etc, but those 2 products are ones I've used before.

As a heads-up, you'll be able to lightly seal your makeup with translucent powder and Ben Nye Final Seal, but it will definitely still rub off onto clothes and other people. I'd recommend keeping your palms and fingers free of makeup so you can at least use your phone and interact with others without getting makeup all over everything.
>>
>>9133511
do you play vidja or follow j-pop or anything remotely japanese? anything people might recognise?

>cue hard gay cosplay nostalgia
>>
>>9134608
I can't seem to find any led tape on amazon, does it look like Christmas lights or is it more like real tape? It's hard to see the details on the cosplay because the light, so I'm not sure I'm overlooking it
>>
>>9134892
you need to search for EL Tape anon. Usually sold with a special inverter, it won't run off a normal battery pack.
>>
File: sfv-balrog-4gamer-02.jpg (116KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
sfv-balrog-4gamer-02.jpg
116KB, 800x453px
I need help finding a fabric to use for SFV Balrog's robe. I'd really rather not ditch the scaled pattern on it
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
How do I stop fucking up the sailor collar on this Seifuku? I have the shitty mccalls pattern and can't for the life of me figure this shit out. Even with top stitching it pulls the fabric.
>>
>>9132491
If you are running really low on space, vacuum storage bags can be really helpful.
I divide my collection between plastic storage boxes under my bed and my wardrobe. I store headwear and bonnets in hatboxes, bags at the bottom of my wardrobe and on wardrobe shelves. If you get an open rack, make sure your items aren't exposed to too much sunlight For socks and tights, I store them in a divided box.

If mould is an issue, disposable dehumidifiers may be helpful.
>>
Anyone know the best way to do cat ears? I figured it would be a headband but what I'm finding is more clip-on ears with no good looking headbands
>>
>>9135044
Are you clipping your curves?
>>
File: 1165908-1465861558330-Neon_Turn.png (3MB, 4044x2024px) Image search: [Google]
1165908-1465861558330-Neon_Turn.png
3MB, 4044x2024px
I have some questions about this cosplay but I have less than a week to finish it whoops. Anyway, how would I do a tattoo that wraps around my arm? Secondly, how can I make an arm guard that's totally enclosed? I feel like it would make it hard to put on.
>>
>>9135517
for the tattoo you could either paint the design onto a pair of skin color tights, or draw up the entire thing on photoshop and print onto temporary tattoo paper, and then twist the strip around your arm.

The arm guards, assuming they're from the image posted, could be attached with hidden velcro or snaps where those black bands are.
>>
>>9135662
I'm just worried that wrapping tattoo paper around my arm would either get the tattoo cut off or it would crinkle? I don't know
>>
>>9135411
People are moving away from headbands because the clip-ons look more "natural"
>>
File: ilovemyhusbando_heisthebest.jpg (40KB, 640x498px) Image search: [Google]
ilovemyhusbando_heisthebest.jpg
40KB, 640x498px
Hi friends :O I'm making a monster musume cosplay and bringing my boyfriend along for anti-perv protection as Kimihito. It's a fairly straightforward plain clothes cosplay so I'm worried people won't recognize him without a wig, but he really hates the idea of wearing one. He has medium-length sort of fluffy black hair (asian hair i guess) that styles moderately well, does he really need a wig or could I style his hair with gel or fiber?

I also thought about somehow doing face makeup for the white eye-circles since that's how the character's eyes usually are, to make him more recognizable, but idk how I would go about doing that. I saw a Kimihito cosplay where the guy put white paper ovals over his eyes and it was ita as fuck, so I am very wary of trying to do that.

I know he's really just there for backup support but because I'm doing monmusu I'd really rather not have any solo pictures taken of me at this con, so he needs to look good! Thank you for any advice.
>>
File: issuuthebestgirl.png (447KB, 700x491px) Image search: [Google]
issuuthebestgirl.png
447KB, 700x491px
>>9136042
On the same note it's my dream to cosplay slimegirl Suu, but all the cosplays I've seen replace her jelly hair with a normal green wig and I think that makes it kind of boring. Anyone have any ideas on how to make a jelly wig like pic related? Thanks so much!
>>
File: tumblr_nabs42nQJ41rwwbdfo1_1280.jpg (363KB, 919x1379px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nabs42nQJ41rwwbdfo1_1280.jpg
363KB, 919x1379px
>>9136042
For his hair: it'll always look better with a wig but it sounds like can get away without and look okay. Hairspray and texture spray/gel should be fine.
For the eyes: I don't think there's a way to do the eyes and be serious about. I don't see anything wrong with the paper eyes as long as you take it as a joke.
>>9136046
For you, you can try looking into how some Splatoon cosplayers do their wigs, how they use an actual wig but have attachments that look like tentacles.
I'm not sure if there's a workable material that resembles jelly that would be comfortable as a wig.

Also, you can just drag him into pictures every time someone asks for one as you. It might help them make the connection of who he is.
>>
>>9136055
Thanks! I hadn't really heard of Splatoon before but that is an excellent idea, I think I'm going to try it!
>>
>>9134791
I had no idea about plains dust/cocoa powder and that alone will be a big help. I am thinking it'll be a good idea to get in some practice and trial runs before the con so I learn how to use the blood and dirt. Thanks!
>>
File: zombie white lenses.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
zombie white lenses.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>9136042
I can't help but wonder if circle lenses would work for the eye effect, or just be too damn unsettling and creepy.
I think they MIGHT work with a wig, because it'd be the whole cartoonish package, but probably wouldn't work if you're just styling his hair.
>>
>>9136166
He was freaked out at first but now he's thinking about it! Thanks for the recommendation! Is Honeycolor a trusted place for circle lenses? I think I'll get some green ones for myself, anyway.
>>
>>9134899
Thank you anon! It looks like the El tape might be too stiff for what I'd like to use it for. Back to the old drawing board..
>>
File: laprasgijinka.jpg (60KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
laprasgijinka.jpg
60KB, 600x800px
For this Lapras gijinka, I need to make a hoopskirt out of metal. I found these lightweight aluminum strips that seem very easy to use and shape, but the problem is that no one I know is able to weld strips (or has the equipment) together to make the shape.
Did a bit of research to find an alternative and found that this acrylic adhesive scotch weld (812) by 3M seems like it should work well, but I'm not 100% sure.
Has anyone ever used something like this to adhere metal to metal? If so, has it worked well?
>>
I need help getting a bf.
Any tips?
>>
>>9136337
get off 4chan and go outside
>>
>>9134457
>>9135232
Thanks for the advice. I am gonna get an open garment rack with shoe space and use a hopefully not weeb looking cheap room divider thingy to block out sunlight and use the space to change/keep bf away from muh stuff. Also looked at diy stuff so im gonna change my shitty makeshift "wardrobe" into a functional mini closet and use the hat box idea and the bag idea when i have more stuff.
>>
>>9135865
temporary tattoos are pretty flexible, you could set it with powder if you're afraid it would crinkle and crack too
>>
>>9134980
Closest I could find but look for faux crocodile leather
ebay.com/itm/crocodile-faux-leather-vinyl-fabric-turquoise-color-by-the-yard-/171903065997
>>
File: 9994200186872694589.jpg (1MB, 2835x1920px) Image search: [Google]
9994200186872694589.jpg
1MB, 2835x1920px
Hello! I am new to advanced garment sewing but have made a lot of armor cosplays over the years ranging from casting resin to EVA foam. I have taken sewing classes throughout early highschool but they mostly had a focus on quilting nad not drafting patterns or garment construction.

I am currently making an undersuit for one of my sci fi suits, and was intrigued by Lightning Cosplay's recent undersuit post as I hope to achieve a similar look with the side turquoise parts on the legs. Would anyone be able to give me advice on how they are constructed?
From my knowledge is seems that turquoise fabric has batting underneath and is sewn to the hexagon fabric and lower back fabric, and the black alternating lines on the turquoise fabric are topstitched on. I am not sure if this is correct hough, as I have seen similar construction with GSTQ's latest bodysuit where everything is sewn together like a large puzzle and it doesn't seem as if anything was topstitched or heat n bonded on.

Thanks guys! Im starting to realize how in-depth Garment sewing is with facings, understitiching, and how complex lining and some pattern darting can get. Its not just as simple as draping and adding seam allowance....
>>
do you guys match cosplay shoes? they almost never show up in photos and it seems prohibitively expensive
>>
For reference this is the pattern drafting method I am emulating for my suit, where I have made a shitty polyester/spandex mockup (Cant use muslin because final fabric is moleskin spandex, which stretches), drawn the lines/panels for the bodysuit, and have cut it apart and added seam allowance.

What I am asking about construction wise is mostly the "trim", and if I should just topstitch it on or if If it is right sides together in the above image. Using Lightning's bodysuit is an easy example as the legs/hips of hers are very similar to mine.
>>
>>9136331
I've only done welds or screws, but aluminium is easy to drill so what about rivets? Hand riveters are easy to find.
>>
>>9136731
It's most definitely not sewn right sides together in your original example, in the third image you can see that they have the unfinished edge laying over the completed garment.
If you don't want the top stitch look, you can elect to hand sew this and just hide your stitches in the seam, but it's a lot of hand work especially if you are going for the level of complexity in the second image set.
>>
>>9136721
They show up in full-body photos and most photoshoots. And if the shoes are something like dirty tennis shoes, it brings everything else down.

But I don't really go for 100% shoe accuracy if it's too pricey or too ridiculous. In those cases, I'll either try as hard as my will and my budget will allow, or wear something that at least goes with the outfit.
>>
>>9136749
Just look up a few video's on rivets, this looks like a great/easier alternative, thanks anon!
>>
File: Elsa_Granhirte_Character_Art.png (378KB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
Elsa_Granhirte_Character_Art.png
378KB, 1100x900px
Hi, I want to cosplay Elsa from Re:Zero but I'm kinda clueless how to make her dress stay in place and my chest look good. Do you have any ideas?
>>
>>9136757
Thanks so much! by hand sewing and hiding your stitches in the seam do you mean doing a "double fold over" sort of how you would hem a cap or doing standard right sides together for the black parts and just sewing at a VERY close seam allowance since the lines are so small?
>>
>>9136809
>stay in place
Fashion tape.
>boobs
You can look into drag breastplates, or you can get those stick-on boob lift things. I'm not 100% sure what the proper name for them is though.
>>
File: haru.jpg (65KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
haru.jpg
65KB, 500x500px
>>9136721
It depends on the cosplay. If they have specific or elaborate shoes, then yes, as it's integral to the design. Boot covers are your friends. If they have normal-ish shoes, then I just go for something relatively close.

On that note - anyone know what Haru's sandals are called? I've used blue flip flops for the last two cons because I can't find anything in stores, and my google fu is failing me. They're some kind of closed toe strappy sandal, I guess?
>>
>>9136834
they kind of resemble swiftwater sandals...?
>>
>>9136829
I was always suspect of these but I recently used them for my wedding and they actually work really well! Wouldn't recommend for huge boobs though.
The ones I got were called "adhesive breast lifts".
>>
>>9136721
I make it a point to only cosplay characters that wear tennis shoes or boots.

At worst, at least try to get the color right or make the shoes as unnoticable as possible.
>>
File: TLUSF7O.png (44KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
TLUSF7O.png
44KB, 331x500px
Working with Eva foam for the first time. Working on leg armor. I have a leg dummy that I wrapped saran wrap and clear tape around. I drew the armor pattern on it, cut it out, and laid it on my foam. When I cut it out and pieced it together, it was too small by a pretty decent amount. Laying the pattern on the inside of leg piece shows just how much bigger the pattern is than the armor. Is it something to do with how I'm laying the patterns for a curved leg piece flat and then cutting and bending the foam? Am I laying the pattern on the wrong side before cutting? (I'm laying it on the smooth side then cutting and forming, with the patterned side on the inside)
>>
>>9136818
For handsewing, you'd sew in one side, right sides together, and then sew the other side down using a slipstitch, similar to how you would attach bias tape. Scroll down about 2/3rds of the page here to see how that is done http://ryuuraigeki.livejournal.com/358924.html
>>
>>9136891
You have to realize that foam is much thicker, so the outer circumference will be different than the paper pattern. It also helps to heat your foam up as your shaping t around your leg, as that will allow it to stretch a tiny bit. As your pulling and curving it, it will expand a bit helping with your fit.
It's very much a trial and error process when you're working with a new material for the first time.
>>
File: skeleton-wheel.jpg (42KB, 300x380px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-wheel.jpg
42KB, 300x380px
Would bamboo chopsticks be acceptable as spikes on the wheel of this dude from a safety perspective? I don't wanna be barred from Otakon for having a safety hazard.
>>
>>9136900
Once again thanks! Ive put in copious hours of research and never found a way to get such clean edges. Amazing tutorial!
>>
>>9136891
I might be able to help. For all my foam projects I approximate measurements in illustrator, guess the pattern and then make a mockup out of cardstock. Something with a complex curve like that may also have darts. The duct tape pattern method doesn't really work for pattern pieces that have complex curves and as you get farther into making your suit youll release that you might have to make plenty of mockups before actually cutting into your foam (at least that's how I do it.)
>>
How do I sew a seam in spandex without the top layer of fabric getting stretched out by the machine foot? I can't believe I tolerated shitty curled-up seams for so long; should I be hand-basting every seam before machine stitching it?

I use zigzag stitches on the seams and only have the standard presser foot.
>>
File: spacepatrallou.jpg (86KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
spacepatrallou.jpg
86KB, 800x800px
Where do I get pants like this?

I definitely couldn't find purple ones. I tried finding them in white (to dye purple) but they only seem to come in shorts.
>>
>>9137019
Use wax paper or tissue paper as a stabilizer, then just tear it away when you're done.
>>
>>9137033
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=purple+tartan+pants
>>
>>9137039
Thanks! I didn't know what that type of pattern was called.
>>
>>9137035
Ahhhh, I'm a moron. I've used tissue paper before for sewing vinyls and pleathers; don't know why it didn't occur to me to do the same for spandex. Thanks!
>>
File: _77322170_77322169.jpg (50KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_77322170_77322169.jpg
50KB, 624x351px
What's the moral policy on blackface if I want to cosplay Papa Lazarou from The League of Gentlemen? I've seen it go down without a hitch at cons, but is it better to wait until I get to the con to apply the makeup so nobody from the public thinks I'm some kind of insane racist or is Papa Lazarou a recognisable enough character (I live in London) that I can get away with it on the journey there
>>
>>9137144
You're the third person I've ever encountered who knows of League of Gentlemen. I'd say apply makeup at the con because the show is a bit dated and most likely only has a small cult following at this point if any at all.
>>
Has anyone here done Skyward Sword Link around? I was wondering what I should do for the blue bracers.
Also, I am weak at wigs, are there any good link wigs out there styled appropriately?
>>
File: p_1000155124.jpg (64KB, 1000x545px) Image search: [Google]
p_1000155124.jpg
64KB, 1000x545px
Any good alternatives to Foamular pink insulation foam boards?

Too far of a drive for me to get the larger thicker boards,so I wanna know if stuff like Rtech/Rmax would work or any other type of foam board similar to foamular
>>
>>9137144
Don't fucking do it.

The policy on blackface is don't fucking paint yourself in blackface, and you already knew that or you wouldn't be asking for permission.
>>
File: 52846357_p0.png (443KB, 800x1129px) Image search: [Google]
52846357_p0.png
443KB, 800x1129px
I feel dumb for asking, but is there a tutorial on how to make Maya's obi/bow?
>>
Is it okay to iron something if there's dirt on it? As in literal dirt put on it on purpose?
>>
File: tumblr_o1n6qahZWl1ty8njso8_500.jpg (31KB, 442x494px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1n6qahZWl1ty8njso8_500.jpg
31KB, 442x494px
I havnt cosplayed in years. I dont even know where to find good wigs or anything. At the end of this month, I hope to get my 2D cosplay done. I already have black scleras.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy cosplay wigs? Specifically a blue spikey one?

Please and thank you :>
>>
>>9137607
arda, epiccosplay. You get what you pay for with wigs so don't go to party city unless you want your wig to look like it came from there.
>>
>>9137580
I would advise against that as it might end up burning your fabric, or at the very least dirty up your iron which would then transfer the burnt dirt onto the next thing you iron.
Instead, I would use either fabric paints or something like schmere to simulate the dirt look, but keep it iron and washer safe.
>>
>>9137636
hmm im not sure they ahve what im looking for? Ill give it a go tho. I did find this one

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cosplay-Costume-Wigs-FAIRY-TAIL-mistogai-VOCALOID-Hatsune-family-KAIKO-Short-Spiky-Party-Hair-35cm-blue/1871800090.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.159.jYQK6v

not sure if it will style good tho, thoughts?
>>
File: Keith_casual.png (122KB, 313x967px) Image search: [Google]
Keith_casual.png
122KB, 313x967px
Trying to find a jacket that would work for Keith, but even finding a red jacket with a stand-up collar is hard, much less a cut-off. Should I even attempt making this myself with zero experience? All I've ever been able to do was sew patterns onto fabric.
>>
>>9137607
arda is my go to. I've also gotten a few off eBay that weren't bad.
>>
>>9137711
If you can find any ol jacket with a popped collar, you can use it as a pattern.
I'm not sure what material you plan on using for this, but I don't recommend leather/pleather/vinyl, they're not really forgiving to beginners.
>>
>>9137733
Of course he wig i want from them is on backorder -_-
>>
>>9137019
washaway wonder tape.
>>
>>9137144
Just because people don't get confrontational at a con doesn't mean a lot of people aren't cringing hard or feel (totally justifiably) angry or offended. Just don't do it. It's really not that hard to just *not* wear blackface.
>>
>>9137753

Oh heavens no, I wasn't thinking of using anything like that. Polyester or cotton will do nicely.
>>
File: 2d.png (672KB, 824x676px) Image search: [Google]
2d.png
672KB, 824x676px
>>9137651
I guarantee you that is going to look like shit. It's a 10$ bright blue wig from china.

Are you cosplaying 2D? Because his hair doesn't have that much poof. It's more like he he has slightly longer hair with some messy spikes in the back.

His hair color is a pain in the ass to match, though, especially because it's so inconsistent.

Maybe a Magnum from Arda or the dark blue Five Wits uses?

>Magnum
https://c21rehaul.secure-decoration.com/appearance/css

>Five Wits 1
http://www.thefivewitswigs.com/shop/wigs/intergalactic-manly-fluff/

>Five Wits 2
www.thefivewitswigs.com/shop/wigs/azuline-loli-ruffle-encounter/
>>
>>9137796
Yeah. Interfacing might help the cuffs and collar stand up, if the fabric isn't stiff enough.
>>
>>9137803
oh nice! those are way better,thank you so much!!
>>
I'm looking for cute backpacks that have a laptop compartment. Unfortunately, none of the ones I've found that are cute fit this requirement.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands/manufacturers?
>>
I need white-and-lavender striped fabric for a cosplay. I do have white-and-pink striped fabric and blue dye.
Can I just.. dab the blue dye on the pink parts to make it look more purple? Would that bleed all over the white?
I'm probably going to test it and find out anyway, but it'd be nice if someone else could give me an idea of what to expect, at least..?
>>
>>9138149
It'd dye the white before the pink. It's not worth wasting the fabric you have to even try it. Just buy new fabric, you never know when you'll need pink and white.
>>
File: dianapos.jpg (206KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dianapos.jpg
206KB, 1280x720px
Sorry for the shitty photo. I'm still a novice when it comes to sewing and I'm trying to make Diana's skirt (the picture is of my nook so its crappy but you can at least see the shape of it). I grabbed a couple of patterns from the 99 cent McCall's sale at Joann that I thought might work. Could anyone offer an opinion on which might be better?

Thank you very much!
>>
File: Dianaztd.png (92KB, 180x498px) Image search: [Google]
Dianaztd.png
92KB, 180x498px
>>9138373
#1 is closer since the basic appearance of Diana's skirt is an A-line wrap skirt. If you really want to go for accuracy, overlay a mock up of her skirt panels over the McCall's pattern to maintain the overall shape. And please wear a petticoat. Most Dianas I've seen have sad limpy skirts.
>>
>>9138400
I'm planning to! I cosplayed Luna previously and her skirt was a more obvious wrap skirt, but on Diana it was harder to tell. Thank you so much!

Since I'm still pretty new to sewing, I was worried that modifying the pattern to address the strange panels on Diana's skirt would make it drape oddly. Do you think if I use a sturdier petticoat it would cancel draping issues out since the shape will be provided more by the petti?
>>
File: MeredyCollage.jpg (1MB, 2048x1717px) Image search: [Google]
MeredyCollage.jpg
1MB, 2048x1717px
Is it possible that someone has a tutorial or an idea of how to do cloudy textured hair? I'm about to start Meredy's wig but I'm not quite sure how to start or what sort of base to begin with.
>>
>>9138519
>Last bit got cut off
"Is it even possible to attempt this or would I maybe be better off if I just did nor.al curly twintails?"
>>
>>9138519
You can try getting a curly twintail wig and teasing the curls a bit. Not a ton, just some extra fluff.
You can also dig around to see what Junko cosplayers do. Just stay away from the ones that look like a birdnest mess.
>>
File: X028-1.jpg (60KB, 577x553px) Image search: [Google]
X028-1.jpg
60KB, 577x553px
What should I be searching for to find a long ear cuff like in the pic? I can't for the life of me get results on Google or Amazon.
On a self conscious note, is something like this fine for casual wear? (For a feminine male with other piercings)
>>
I've seen several different versions with different tags on them of this backpack. Does anyone know which manufacturer was the original?
>>
File: CatEarsBackpack_original.jpg (119KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CatEarsBackpack_original.jpg
119KB, 600x600px
>>9138595
And I forgot the picture.
>>
>>9138588
The best I could find it stuff like "smooth band ear cuff".
And yeah I think that'd be fine for casual wear.
>>
>>9138109
Something like this?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pu-Schoolbag-New-Cat-Canvas-Backpack-Women-Fashion-Student-Bag-School-Bag-Leisure-Bag-Cartoon-Book/32481832813.html

Aliexpress is pretty good for backpacks, but it'll take a while to find something suitable I'm afraid. I just looked for "cute laptop backpack" and found that one.
>>
For Sakura's skirt would two full circles be too poofy? Would I be better off doing like 1.5? People who just do a full circle I don't think have a full enough looking skirt. Sorry if this file is huge.
>>
>>9138936
>too poofy
No such thing. You need both huge ruffles and a near-tutu level of poof. 2 circles would be fine.
>>
>>9138603
Yup, that's brining it up, thanks!
>>
I would like to wear a collar every day, specifically Poison's from Street Fighter/Final Fight.A nice /a/non gave me a post about materials and steps to make it, but as I'm having a hard time finding nearby places that have the stuff, and I'm on a time limit(moved to a small town,waiting to be admitted into job corps) I would think it'd be easier to just buy them. However, I've looked on ebay, google and a bunch of japanese sites that were present on the /a/ buyfag guide, no dice. I'd like to eventually cosplay, so the hat and outfit would be something for a few years down the line, but the collar is my main goal atm. Attached is a closeup of a fig I bought, for reference. Someone directed me to this board, so I'm hoping yall know of a site that does custom accessories, or something like that. I'm painfully new to cosplay/anime in general.
>>
>>9139508
>I would like to wear a collar every day
Why?
>>
>>9139561
Personal reasons?
>>
>>9139578
>Getting all defensive
Calm down.
>>
File: 1465378984156.jpg (104KB, 627x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1465378984156.jpg
104KB, 627x1165px
>>9139649
I'm not getting defensive, I just didn't give a straight answer because I didn't see how it pertained to the issue I need help with anon
>>
>>9139508
You don't have a Michaels nearby?
>>
>>9139671
No, it's a very small town in a midwestern state. I've walked to the nearest walmart a few miles away but they had squat
>>
>>9139508
Yeah /a/'s no good for this. Their buyfag guide is better for merchandise like figures.

You can look into Poison cosplays, since you're interested in that too. Most come with accessories.

Or just dig around punk/alternative stores.
I wouldn't exactly recommend petplay sites since their collars don't look quite like that.
>>
File: image1 (2).jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image1 (2).jpg
82KB, 640x480px
I don't know how to word this well, but what is the best method for wrapping something with multiple curves? I'm trying to wrap foam with polyester material in the shape of a heart for my DIO cosplay, but I keep fucking it up.
>>
>>9139701
Make little snips at the curves.
>>
>>9139701
Cut little triangle slits at the parts where it's rounded or pointed. More slits = wraps better.
>>
File: image3.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image3.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>>9139707
I did, but theres something I'm doing wrong in the method
>>
>>9137144
I would avoid it. Just seems like too touchy a subject
>>
File: image.png (150KB, 250x477px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
150KB, 250x477px
How should I make her headband? I was thinking of using craft foam but I feel like that'll look bad + be too flimsy?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-08-12-08h45m50s904.png (684KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-08-12-08h45m50s904.png
684KB, 1280x738px
>>9137711
Not this anon, but I have two related problems:

1) The collar must be perfectly rigid to hold the helmet in place. The only method I can think of is to have a solid, cone-shaped insert inside the collar, but I don't know what material to use. Wood and metal aren't washable, and I wouldn't be able to get plastic into the right shape.

2) I need some way to secure the whole helmet+collar assembly so it doesn't fall off of my head. I can't brace it against my head from the inside, because the whole thing is transparent.
>>
>>9139782
Do you have any other refs? I'm not sure what's even going on up there.
>>
>>9139692
There's none of those stores here. I will try and make an account on tumblr or DA, wherever a lot of cosplay people are, and see if I can ask around for details on what they did. I know there's been some, there's just a lack of actual merch. Thanks for the good idea anon
>>
Kind of a stupid question, but how well does knit fabric gather? Would I be able to make a short puffy sleeve out of it without it looking sad, or no?
>>
>>9139508
Etsy item, expensive: https://www.etsy.com/listing/451864378/esther-leather-choker-black-leather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=plain%20black%20choker%20collar&ref=sr_gallery_5

I think your best/cheapest bet is to buy a plain black collar and the studs online and assemble it yourself, you can even throw on a fake "buckle" on the front so it matches without having the function. You can get it all pretty cheap on eBay:

Collar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Wide-Basic-Leather-Collar-Snap-Closure-Plain-Choker-L9172-/271869664439?hash=item3f4cb1dcb7:g:krYAAOSwgkRVU-bD
Studs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-100pcs-Round-Flat-Spike-Bead-Studs-2-5mm-16mm-4-Claw-Nailhead-Leather-DIY-/400964660368?var=670500723206&hash=item5d5b5b2c90:g:vVYAAOSwjXRXYNGA
Buckle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Die-Cast-Double-Bar-Buckle-Nickel-Plated-Blanket-Dog-Collar-Tack-40348-/201168871226?hash=item2ed6995f3a:g:Z-YAAOSw~gRVifup
>>
>>9139781
yeah, I asked around among cosplay people I know and the general consensus was that it's a very bad idea. I wasn't seriously thinking about it or anything, it was just a thought I had at like 6am cause I'm still trying to come up with cosplay ideas for mcm london in october and I remembered the league of gentlemen exists.
>>
>>9139999
Nice digits.
After reading a fuckton of threads on the board and generally lurking for a while, I think I'll end up biting the bullet and just doing it myself. Majorly afraid of fuckups, but I assume if I wait until the powers that be/universe allows me to start HRT/I refrain from posting cringeworthy first try failures/I do some more research, it will turn out okay. What I'm going to do is use those links/a diagram someone on /a/ drew me with some steps. Maybe get more than one choker in case I mess up somewhere. Still debating over holepunching studs/some guy said something about gluing them on somehow. Thanks for the help anon (anon because I don't know the /cgl/ name, you know, /co/mrade, fa/tg/uy, etc)
>>
>>9139778
Good luck on your dio cosplay. I hope you ROADAROLLA someone.I would try making your triangles thinner.
>>
File: gio hair.gif (554KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
gio hair.gif
554KB, 500x282px
Anyone got any good wig recommendations for Giorno Giovanna's crazy-ass hair?

I should use a weft for his ponytail, right?
>>
I bought a Love Live cyber costume from Taobao and it came very wrinkled.

Any tips on how to de-wrinkle vinyl and make it look good again?
>>
I keep coming back to ask about this project I'm sorry I'm just really nervous.

I'm making a maid dress (pic related) and somebody here said that as far as fabric choices any middleweight cotton or cotton polyester blend should work well and I wanted to pick a fabric out in person so I could see the color and feel in real life but Jo-Anns doesn't seem to categorize their fabric by weight and I don't know how to distinguish from feeling alone so would it be better just to order online from somewhere else that does specify or is there a way I can easily tell in person?

>>9133497
I honestly wouldn't worry about it but personally I would expect posing in character if it's a full body shot and like a 50/50 if it were a selfie.

>>9137578
If you google "Obi tutorial" there's quite a few but I'd probably do something like this http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Pre-Tied-Obi-56616894
>>
>>9139854
Wouldn't worbla or some other moldable plastic work?
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 720x960px
>>9139918
It's a very bizarre headband lmao, sorry for the shitty picture I just pulled what I first found on google images.
>>
>>9140119
Definitely get a lace front. When I did mine I used an arda Matilda + long wefts. It's a really difficult wig, but with lots of hard work it'll turn out great. Good luck anon!
>>
File: hhteu646u.png (572KB, 465x500px) Image search: [Google]
hhteu646u.png
572KB, 465x500px
Is there any hope to find shoes like pic related in sizes US 9 and up? I'm cursed with big feet and haven't been able to find any on either eBay, AliExpress, or elsewhere. I've only seen this style go up to a 7 at most, and I haven't bothered looking at Japanese websites yet. Should I just look for someone to custom make me a pair?
>>
File: wirt.png (295KB, 426x485px) Image search: [Google]
wirt.png
295KB, 426x485px
(Pic Related)
Hey, I'm new to cosplay and sewing, but i would really like to cosplay Wirt, but i wasn't sure what type of fabric to use for his cloak? Any suggestions?
>>
>>9140324
I think you should use craft foam; I get the impression that the topstitched brooch-layer-thing and the headband are meant to be the same non-fabric material. Won't look cheap if you heatshape some contour into the foam and finish it smoothly. It looks like it's supposed to match the gray-off-white bias tape(?) on the apron, is there any way you could cover the foam with whatever fabric you use for that trim?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Ewr5qwQgM
what the HECK are their wigs made of, how do they bounce around like that
>>
>>9140365
Wool.
>>
>>9139123
>>9138936
2 circles and do a horsehair hem.
>>
>>9138519
Curl it into about 1" size curls, then brush it to separate out all the curls and fluff it up.

>>9136809
Build 1/2 width cups into your dress, and use half a bra on the inside. Wear pasties and tape the shit out of the dress to your boobs.
On the bra cup on the inside, attach a support strap that comes around the back of your neck and holds the gals up.

If you can't sew, do not attempt.
>>
>>9139123
>>9140590
I ended up doing 1.5 because my material is very heavy so I want to be able to get that 90degree floof without it being weighed down, and I have already installed the horse hair braid, however I wish I had have brought a thicker, stiffer variation.
>>
I've been trying to find a sewing pattern for the chef jacket that pic related is wearing, but so far I had no luck. Does anyone know the proper term for that style of jacket? I'd also rather not spend much on the pattern, best case scenario is finding it for free.
I have a somewhat consistent plan for the other parts of the cos, but finding a usable cheap pattern has been driving me nuts.
>>
>>9140359
Are you sure you're using the right search terms? These shoes are called "penny loafers." I just found about 300 of these on ebay between sizes 9-10 by searching "women's penny loafers". It's a pretty unisex style too, so if you still can't find something in your size you could try looking for men's penny loafers.
>>
File: 31tj-Iq0BNL._SY300_.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
31tj-Iq0BNL._SY300_.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
>>9140660
Double-breasted chef jacket, anon
>>
>>9140605
I just finished sewing the lining in and pinned it onto me and even with just my lolita petticoats I wish I had have had more floof, I should have done 2 full circles, such strong regret.
>>
File: anime art styles.jpg (3MB, 2417x1984px) Image search: [Google]
anime art styles.jpg
3MB, 2417x1984px
>>9133511
>I'm not really a fan of the art style
Ah yes, the singular anime art style.
>>
File: EL wire.jpg (76KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
EL wire.jpg
76KB, 1200x900px
>>9136269
What you want is EL wire, it's like a string with an light-up liquid inside. Works exactly like EL tape/panels but is bendable to what you want.
>>
>>9140757
You can always remake it, anon!
>>
>>9140770
I know but I got the material from a store very far away from me and I'd have to double my budget to do that and I only have 3 weeks till the con, so I think I will deal with it for now and maybe redo it if I ever do the cosplay again.
>>
>>9139782
I would sew it as two overlapping layers.
>>
>>9140768
not the same anon, but i'm looking for some el wire at the moment. i'm in the uk and don't want to spend too much, but any idea how to tell what's crap and what's decent? i don't want to buy some and it break in five minutes, and i can't really tell from amazon reviews or anything since half of them seem to be sponsored. does it make much difference or should i take a chance?
>>
File: Leia-027-FRONT.jpg (43KB, 520x800px) Image search: [Google]
Leia-027-FRONT.jpg
43KB, 520x800px
I got an Arda Leia for a braided character, but after wearing the wig for a con the hairs are coming out of the braids. I want to rebraid them so it looks clean again, but are there any tools/methods I should use to avoid fucking it up? I'd like to restore the braids to their original form as closely as possible.
>>
File: tumblr_o5iiplrkcV1tj8m7no5_1280.jpg (189KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5iiplrkcV1tj8m7no5_1280.jpg
189KB, 1280x720px
>>9140768
I actually found the wire first but it's not thick enough for the design I'm trying to do. I thought about using the wire to outline and then filing the design with reflective tape to mirror the lighting but it might be something that's better in theory than irl. Perhaps I'll scrap the light up components completely.
Pic is the character I'm trying to do, I'm open to any suggestions!
>>
File: received_10201339083555943.jpg (30KB, 410x1024px) Image search: [Google]
received_10201339083555943.jpg
30KB, 410x1024px
How can you tie a fake noose with the rest of the rope is standing up?
>>
>>9141220
Eh, not really. Just try to follow the waves to get the braid like it was and hairspray it when you're done, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>9141246
Perhaps you could braid 3-4 smaller pieces of rope together around a thick gauge wire to make one thicker rope
>>
File: received_10201339084555968.jpg (19KB, 615x349px) Image search: [Google]
received_10201339084555968.jpg
19KB, 615x349px
>>9141252
Thank you, you amazing creature you.
>>
File: 1470938837317~2.jpg (167KB, 1917x941px) Image search: [Google]
1470938837317~2.jpg
167KB, 1917x941px
>>>>9141256
T-t-thank you anon, please show pics when you are done!
>>
>>9140940
If you're worried about bending wear, consider getting several strands of smaller diameter wire. EL wire is pretty durable though, so just go for it and get some!
>>
>>9141320
thank for the reassurance, anon!
>>
How do I approach a qt cosplayer and find out if they're single without things getting awkward?
>>
>>9141460
Just talk to them about other stuff
8/10 they'll bring up something about their SO
>>
>>9141468
Like what, though?

I've had multiple hour long conversations and then they only bring up the word "boyfriend" at the end when I'm midway through saving their number.

Is there some sort of subject matter I can gravitate the conversation towards that'll get them to mention their SO?

Feels like it'd be weird to ask if they came to the con alone.
>>
>>9141474
What's wrong with having interesting convos, regardless of the outcome? You sound thirsty, anon.
>>
>>9141478
Because I could have interesting conversations with any number of my friends. That's not the point.
>>
>>9141478
>using logic on a fuckboy
>>
File: tumblr_npvwwj17AJ1thw8nzo1_1280.jpg (59KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npvwwj17AJ1thw8nzo1_1280.jpg
59KB, 612x612px
>>9141483
W-we're not your friends anon?
>>
>>9141490
Er...who do you mean by "we"?
>>
File: tumblr_objmr29tk71s4phfho1_540.jpg (79KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_objmr29tk71s4phfho1_540.jpg
79KB, 540x540px
I cut out some armor pieces out of foam, and I'm looking to smooth the edges down so that A. The two pieces match each other and B. the edges are edgier and the rounded parts are rounder.

What would be the best method to do this?

Also, ignore the tape, that was just for testing purposes.
>>
>>9142060
Use a sharper knife. Foam will dull your knife place very quickly, so keep changing it out for sharper blades.
>>
>>9142067
The pieces have already been cut out and shaped with a straight razor, so are you recommending I cut it out all over again, or whittle it down with a sharp knife?
>>
>>9142060
Use a dremel on the edges.
>>
>>9132765
maybe mikiru from the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya? she wears a pink maid outfit
>>
>>9138595
>>9138598
Anyone? The closest I've found a name is "Moolecole," but that isn't helping much because most of the example pictures have different names on the label, and I'm not even sure if that is the original.
>>
File: 61XVO9xWhML._SL1001_.jpg (88KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
61XVO9xWhML._SL1001_.jpg
88KB, 1001x1001px
So, I'm thinking about buying this I have a short black wig, but I can't think of an out fit that would work. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
I just turned 30 and although I look young I feel like I'm out of place at cons. Does anyone else feel this way? Like going to a meetup and everyone is like 22 and silently you're like damn if they knew my age they'd think I was a huge creeper
>>
>>9142936
there are countless characters with short black hair, pretty much every other anime protagonist for starters.
>>
>>9142943
lol, I'm 22 and people at the meetups I go to tend to be 14-19, and that feels weird for me.
Anime cons tend to flock the younger crowds, like teenage. Gaming cons are a tiny bit older, like late-teens to early-20s. Comic cons are the ones that tend to be 25+.
If you're not willing to change interests just to be around more fans your age, there's not much else you can really do about it. I think as long as you're not an actual creeper, no one thinks much of it. Some people think it's cool that you're older, even.
Just be very mindful of your actions and how they can be misinterpreted.
>>
>>9142936
Kinda gives me a Chat Noir vibe, but his hair is blonde.
Are you going to try to design a character around the mask or what?
>>
File: plasti-dip-5.jpg (152KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
plasti-dip-5.jpg
152KB, 600x434px
I'm working on a prop that is made from three layers of foamboard. The layer in the middle sticks out from the other two somewhat and one part is a little skinny and at serious risk of popping off in it's normal state, which I figured. My plan was to add pins through the foam to add a little structure, and then spray it in several coats of plastidip. Would this be enough to give the foamboard support and refrain from breaking or am I wasting my time? I'm new to plastidip and I find a lot on using it with craftfoam armor, but not so much with relatively inflexible props.

I was considering thin layers of paperclay and polyurethane, which I've used on a mask before with a lot of success, but I wasn't sure if the same method would apply here at all.

Posted to the dumb questions thread yesterday but no luck.
>>
>>9137580
Why didn't you use paint or something top imitate dirt so you could iron it?
>>
File: 1432504192743.jpg (26KB, 221x221px) Image search: [Google]
1432504192743.jpg
26KB, 221x221px
I'm looking for a plain black mediumish weight cotton, poly or cotton/poly blend (pretty much any weave as long as it isn't suffocatingly hot) fabric with a 60" or more width for this cape/cloak thing I'm making, lightweight is a no-go since there will be something lighter colored under it, as is twill or any other kind of designs since I'll be putting stuff on it and it would look weird.

Seems like something that would be really easy to find but I've been searching different websites for 4+ hours and all I'm finding is like knits and wool and cotton fabrics with designs.

Is plain black weaved fabric just not a thing that comes in 60"+? Am I wasting my time? Is there a way that I can make a half circle cloak out of a fabric that isn't 60" without having it look like garbage?
>>
>>9140453
Ahh I love that video. The Mary's hair really looks like ramen noodles watching this again.

Anyway, IIRC Japanese wigs use different fibers than most western and Chinese wigs, so that's probably the biggest thing, but it might also just be a matter of thinning the wig out so that it's a little lighter.
>>
>>9142096
Bought a rotary tool kit at Harbor Frieght for 9 bucks. Works like a dream!
>>
File: mccree_arm.png (741KB, 1074x655px) Image search: [Google]
mccree_arm.png
741KB, 1074x655px
Working on the mechanical arm for McCree, and the shape of the elbow is frustrating me.

So far, I have a simple EVA foam cylinder as a base. My thought is to add another layer of foam to taper the top and bottom a bit, and then cover everything with a layer of Worbla to smooth it out and add the details.

I probably won't be able to get all the details in (most notably the tapering around that pointy bit), but I already had to make some sacrifices elsewhere when scaling the design down for my tiny baby hands. (I really don't like how some of the decent McCree's out there have disproportionate parts.)

Any feedback or alternative approaches would be much appreciated!
>>
File: tumblr_n0a1y49OI31qh2uzvo1_1280.jpg (260KB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0a1y49OI31qh2uzvo1_1280.jpg
260KB, 658x800px
>>9143390
Here. Still not able to find the ideal cotton but I did find some material that I think should work for my purposes though I wanted to have quick confirmation that this kind of fabric is okay before I dump cash on it since I can only order it online.

I'm making pic related (right) and I'm going to use black shantung for the outside one and since it's the closest thing I could find in color*, orange charmeuse for the inside one. Is this okay or am I going to regret it?

I get the feeling that the charmeuse might look weird and bad hanging on it's own since it seems pretty thin so if that's the case I'm thinking of compromising on the design and using it as lining instead.

*Again I was going to use cotton or something plain, thicker, and less shiny at the least but I wasn't able to find anything even close to what I needed in orange.
>>
>>9143131
>Just be very mindful of your actions and how they can be misinterpreted.
This is basically the important bit. Being friendly as an older guy can be interpreted alot of ways...
>>
>>9143324
I'm not realy getting a feel on what shape you're dealing with. Generally when you're making something with foam board you want ot make a lot of internal structure with more foamboard with triangles and shit. Plastidip is a good cover but won't keep it from folding in with a hard impact. If you have gaps or cracks fill them in with silicone caulk.
>>
Google is confusing me, is horsehairbraid and crinoline tape the same thing?
>>
>>9143133
Yeah, I was trying to come up with something original, but the outfit is eluding me.
>>
i really want to cosplay jacket from hotline miami, i already have the jacket and the shirt needed, all i need now is a baseball bat/some masks/and pants/shoes

>but im short
>and if i take my mask off people will see my acne and ill want to hang myself

guys what do i do
>>
>>9144308
No one cares about accurate height in cosplay (especially solo cosplays), it's not something you can really change so don't worry. Or if it's really REALLY bothering you, look into wedge-shaped insoles for your shoes, I think they're called shoe lifts or something? You put them in your shoe under your heel and they give you like an inch of extra height.
And about your acne, like 50% of the people at cons have it, it's no big deal. No one will judge you for having acne. You could look into buying make up to cover it up, but since you're wearing a masked cosplay, you really don't even need to bother. Have some confidence in yourself and go out there and have a blast being a nerd in a costume, don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>9144318

thank you so much anon i really appreciate it
>>
>>9144163
I've only used horsehair braid so I can't speak 100%, but they seem to be pretty similar except crinoline seems a little stiffer. Like horsehair braid is good for ruffles but crinoline is good for reinforcement, like on the brim of a hat.
>>
>>9144087
Ahh okay, this was essentially what I was wondering. Thanks.
>>
>>9136337
Did you find out? I need to know too
>>
I'm working on a cosplay that involves fur needing to be attached to arms, legs, and the face. I've tried spirit gum before and while it worked, it was very uncomfortable and needed to cover a relatively large surface area. I'm not too keen about having to apply and remove spirit gum every single day between wears, either.

What are other options to attaching/wearing quite a bit of fur on the face/arms/legs/backs of hands & feet that can work for multiple days (not sleeping in the costume, taking it off every night)?
>>
>>9145761
I don't know anything about this from experience, but could you use nude nylon stockings as a sort of skin to attach the fur to and then slide those on? You would probably have to still use wig glue to keep the edges in place, but it'd be more manageable than coats of spirit gum over large areas I'd guess.
>>
Are there any good stores for getting Daiso things for a reasonable price shipped to the UK?
>>
>>9144308
Height doesn't matter and nerds are zitty. Go and be awesome.

Also, are you doing anything to treat the acne? Have you been to a dermatologist? The people in the skincare thread can help you, and skincareaddiction on reddit has lots of useful info.
>>
File: 2d.jpg (55KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2d.jpg
55KB, 1080x1080px
>>9137803
>>9137607
So I just got one of these wigs thanks to anon, and I think my cosplay is starting to come along. I think I need to style the wig a bit more but yea

Thanks cgl!
>>
I want to try my hand at sewing a few pieces of leather armour, but I have a feeling they will look too thin and flimsy if I were to just copy the way they would normally appear to be constructed. So I'm wondering if anybody has experience with sewing a layer of craft foam between exterior layers to give a bit more volume and rigidity. I'm not really asking about how to do it, just if anybody knows if that's a good idea or not, otherwise I'll probably be testing it out on the weekend.
>>
Hey gulls, have any of you ever traveled with your sewing machine? I'm going to be moving abroad and taking my sewing machine with me is something I'm really concerned about.
TSA is really shitty, but I'd hate to have it confiscated. If it isn't possible to transport it I wouldn't mind buying another one, but It would hurt to leave mine back home.
Any advice? I may just call the airline I plan to fly with or something.
>>
File: Jaguar-052-FRONT-320x480.jpg (27KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Jaguar-052-FRONT-320x480.jpg
27KB, 320x480px
Is this a decent wig to use for Noctis? Every other wig that was linked in threads from a year ago are discontinued or don't have the color I need anymore so I'm kinda struggling over here.
>>
I have pic related but like..
How the hell do I make it dry?
I did a test recently and I had it on for an hour or so but it still didn't feel dry.
I had layers of setting spray and using a hairdryer as well.
I tried setting powder in a previous test but the brush made the paint look stippled. Should I get one of those little puffs and pat it on?
Is it supposed to seem slightly-moist? I'm frustrated.

>>9147999
Seems fine to me.

>>9147864
I've never traveled with a sewing machine but I have called the airport if I'm flying with something that I'm unsure about. They can clear it up with you.

>>9146953
It's quite common to wrap craft foam in fabric, you'll be fine.
Test it on a small scrap to see if it's the look you want, though.
>>
Is there any way to tell if a Liz Lisa garment is a replica? I'm not familiar with the brand but I saw a Liz Lisa labeled coat at the thrift shop today. It has the fashion label tag and the care instructions are in Japanese; it also says it was made in Hong Kong.
>>
>>9148147
It's a grease paint anon, it never "dries". Try going in with a lighter hand on the setting powder, you should just be dusting it on and sweeping off the excess not pressing it in super hard. If that doesn't work out for you try finding a water based paint. Those actually dry down but younstill have to go through all the sealing motions.
>>
File: e2m1AHv[1].png (644KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
e2m1AHv[1].png
644KB, 1024x768px
Anyone have some advice on a rather simple tattoo?

Also hair?

My current ideas for tattoo:

Red lip liner

https://www.amazon.com/NYX-Mechanical-Lip-Pencil-Dark/dp/B005G9LPIQ

+

Makeup sealer https://www.amazon.com/Final-Seal-Matte-Makeup-Sealer/dp/B005MZ4A7C

Are these good options?
Also do I have to spray on the sealer, can I apply it to a paper towel and dab it on my face? Rather avoid spraying around my eyes

Hair:
My hair is thin and wavy and curls at the ends, what kind of hair product should I use to keep it set, pulled back, and straightish?
Pic for reference: http://i.imgur.com/zH9yDVy.jpg
>>
My little hat keeps falling off my head. How do I keep it on? Staple gun? It weighs five pounds.
>>
File: IMG_2769.jpg (191KB, 862x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2769.jpg
191KB, 862x1000px
Not really help, but I need opinions.

I'm a photog, a pretty okay one. I have nice gear, I can take pretty decent photos, I can edit pretty well. I own a page right now, but I'm doing pretty decent, nothing really popular. I recently just came up with an idea,

Instead of being like every cosplay photog ever, only wanting to shoot qt 10/10 big boobed girls, why don't I become the first photog to shoot exclusively bad cosplays? Bad cosplays have their own threads on /cgl/ all the time, so people really enjoy looking at them. Tumblrinas would like my page because I support newbies or whatever to the community.

Is this a bad idea? How can I get away with this? /Should/ I get away with this?
>>
>>9149004
I feel like you're going too far in the opposite direction. There are absolutely people who don't put any effort into anything (especially in an industry nerds who piggyback off stories and character recognition that they didn't make) but most cosplay comes from the heart, like people who paint their faces to support their sports team. Capture the entire community. Maybe have bad endearing cosplays be their own category. Otherwise you have a cesspool of cynicism, like People of Walmart. We already have a People of Walmart. But you can absolutely capture the weirdos and the quirks without passing judgment or taking a stance one way or the other.

Besides, there's already a page devoted to shitty (if ironic) cosplay called LowCostCosplay.
>>
>>9148965
Attach it to a headband or something.
>>
>>9149004
How hard will you deny any allegations of doing so? Even if you do, people will probably see through your schtick very quickly. Collecting only shit tiers and touting them as being good is obvious.
If you're going to be the only one taking the pictures, people will talk about you and your intentions and start avoiding you like the plague. Or get offended if you ask them.

tl;dr that shit would crash and burn so fast unless you can hide behind anonymity, and even then
>>
Is there any decent temporary black hair dye? Like 1-2 days? The character I'm going has very very short black hair, and slightly buzzed on the sides, so I am not sure how a wig could even work for this. But I also don't want to have my hair black for weeks. I have dark brown hair normally, if that makes any difference.
>>
what is the psychology of being an exhibitionist?
>>
>>9149298
ahh, well, actually i suppose lolita is not necessarily exhibitionism
>>
as wonderful as it is, the entirety of lolita seems like something terribly expensive

is there any cost effective way of going about it?
>>
>>9149310

>>9149008
>>
>>9149298
What's the psychology behind any kink?
>>
>>9149328
cosplay isn't really a kink, is it?

of course it could be

that would be pretty insulting to Japan if it was all just one big kink
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
I have no idea how to pattern cape on pic related. I'm a sucker for really thick, billowing capes but I feel like the easier thing is to make a rentangle, with the tabs to hook on to my shirt. But that just won't make the cape look right since I want a big cape.
>>
>>9149292
If your hair's dark brown, you can probably get away with just leaving it as-is. Unless the character's supposed to look unnatural.

>>9149298
Some people just like that, there's not much to it. If you're not into it, you're not into it and probably won't understand it beyond the surface-level.

>>9149341
It is for some people, like people that have fantasies about fucking whatever character and fucking a cosplayer is the closest they'll ever get to that.
From the cosplayer's perspective, the only "kink" to it I've seen is roleplaying. Like if you ship something so hard you want to pretend you and your SO are actually those characters and do the dirty.
However, only a tiny margin of cosplayers really do this for porn. Most just find it fun. There's too much time and money spent into an outfit to let it get ruined like that.
>>
>>9149390
You can make a cape that's more flared at the bottom, maybe reinforce the hem with horsehair braid?
>>
>>9149424
No idea why that didn't cross my mind! Thank you anon!!
>>
File: Steven_Rogers_(Earth-1610)_007.jpg (107KB, 400x627px) Image search: [Google]
Steven_Rogers_(Earth-1610)_007.jpg
107KB, 400x627px
Where can I get pouches for a belt similar to this?
>>
For halloween I figured I'd be a team aqua grunt. My main issues are going to be the headband and the blue/white stripe clothing underneath. Where do I start with that? I have 0 experience in this field.
>>
"hell is forever"
>>
How are you supposed to turn a girl down when she asks for sex?
>>
>>9149772
Tell her no. Eventually she is going to want to know why she keeps getting refused.
>>
>>9149766
So... what does this have to do with /cgl/, or needing help making cosplays?
>>
>>9149766
Board says "ask for help, get advice, etc." I figured personal matters are fine. Does it help if I state I met BF at a con anon?
>>
>>9149786
lol, yeah anon, oh okay, now it's /cgl/
>>
>>9149786
Hi new friend, you should probably lurk a little more before posting so you have more of an idea of the culutre on /cgl/. For personal matters like this, I'd suggest you go to a more relevant board such as /adv/ where they deal more specifically with help and advice pertaining to your situation. If you actually read the thread, you'd notice this was for cosplay-related help and not boyfriend woes.
>>
>>9149773
thank, she hiss "rape!" at penis
>>
>>9149794
Will do. Thank you for not being an ass.
Alright Janitor, you can delete >>9149766
>>
>>9149805
You can delete it yourself. There's a button on the bottom of the page to do so.
>>
>>9149805
Thank you again anon. I forget it's there since there is a time restraint.
>>
>>9149766
at least it was not tinder
>>
>>9149809
>>9149810
It's been too long, the janitor has to delete it.
>>
File: 1471574797981.jpg (254KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1471574797981.jpg
254KB, 1500x1500px
Shoe question! I'm cosplaying a character who wears flat shoes and has very elongated legs. I was wondering if it would be seen as more accurate to get a flat base shoe like she wears (top right), or a wedge heel shoe in a similar style that will significantly lengthen the appearance of my legs (bottom right).
>>
>>9149941
I do the wedge-heel cheat all the time, but I'm pretty short. So it depends on how long your legs are normally.
You can also look into those heel-insert things that'll mimic the lengthening of a heel without the outward appearance of one.
>>
File: wedge.jpg (31KB, 786x365px) Image search: [Google]
wedge.jpg
31KB, 786x365px
>>9149941
I think a wedge would do fine. I think the illusion of longer legs for Utena is more significant than the exact shape of shoe. I'd go for a slightly smaller wedge like attached though, to downplay the fact of the extra lift and find more of a medium between the two styles.
>>
I'm trying to cut a foam mat, and not even 4 inches in, the cuts start getting ragged, even with a new x-acto blade. Why is this so difficult?
>>
File: lulucosiren.png (295KB, 705x373px) Image search: [Google]
lulucosiren.png
295KB, 705x373px
How do I make this siren so that it can clip onto my wig, and be removed with relative ease?

Someone in the last thread suggested magnets, but I'm having trouble visualizing that.
>>
>>9150017
I should add-the foam is 3/8" thick, and is that blue sleeping pad stuff.
>>
>>9150019
A hairband, maybe?
>>
File: helmet.png (141KB, 1161x1015px) Image search: [Google]
helmet.png
141KB, 1161x1015px
Best method for making this helmet? I was thinking maybe 3D printing the parts then using them as casts, but there might be an easier/more effective method.

(Accidentally posted in WiP thread)

>>9150019
You could put neodymium magnets under the wig and then some in the siren, and it would work well taking it on or off (hold the wig when you do tho)

Or a hairband like >>9150093 said
>>
Anybody know about voice modulators? I'm gonna start working on a Reaper cosplay and would like o try to get that out of he way first since I think it would be rad.
I know tons of people do it for Boba Fett/Jango Fett and Borderlands Psychos.
>>
File: SW-D-10316-4_original.jpg (2MB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
SW-D-10316-4_original.jpg
2MB, 1600x1600px
I ordered an organza sailor style OP and the sleeves are obnoxiously tight. Do you think I can add slits or remove the sleeves? I have basic sewing skills and an aunt who made clothes when I was little.
>>
>>9150862
Slits would probably look bad, removing them wouldn't be hard though.
>>
>>9150219
Seems like a lathe and a drill are all you'd need, if you know someone with a decent workshop.
>>
>>9150954
I have access to a lathe but I figured it'd be too big to make it on
>>
between doing the thing on the internet and having skills with various textiles and the construction and repairing of dresses and stuff like that... cosplayers could probably make money if they set their minds to it
>>
>>9150862
I agree with >>9150872 to remove them. If you want sleeves, that color isn't hard to match and organza is cheap so you can easily make a new pair using almost any puff sleeve pattern. Just make sure the measurement at the top of the sleeve pattern (where the cap/underam is) is the same as the measurement around the op armhole.
>>
if i could be any sort of celebrity... my main choice would be to be a celebrity cosplayer
>>
>>9150959
Some of them do
A lot of cosplayers do commissions, for one. Then there's sponsorships from companies, but those are much much harder to come by.
>>
>>9150958
Depends on the lathe, check what the maximum workpiece diameter is. Alternatively you could make a jig that holds the hemisphere such that it can rotate freely as on a lathe, and take a dremel with a flat-tipped cutter to it to make the groove. Whichever is easiest depends on how good your 3D printer is!
>>
File: sigh.jpg (175KB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.jpg
175KB, 1080x1776px
First time making a breastplate out of eva. How do I get rid of these points from the darts? Or is it even possible? I've made breastplates with worbla before, but I don't care a ton about this cosplay so I was sticking with foam. Pic related, it's nipple breasplate.
>>
File: Asuka_bio.png (908KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka_bio.png
908KB, 900x506px
where the fuck do i even begin with this?

for reference, that's Asuka, she's a wrestler from Japan currently in WWE under NXT
>>
So I got some heels and they fit okay but my feet slide to the front crushing my toes. Is there some kind of thing I can buy so my toes aren't getting smashed in the front?
>>
Im looking for parachute buckles for armor Im making. Where can I buy them in bulk? Id need about a dozen sets, and craft stores sell them at 3 bux a piece
>>
>>9151130
There are foot cushions for the ball of your feet that prevent this.
>>
>>9151054
Start by getting fit and being fucking insane. I love that woman.
>>
>>9151168
eBay or Amazon.
>>
>>9151176
thank you this is what I wanted.
>>
>>9150960
Thanks! :)
>>
I'm trying to map out what I need to do between now and next summer to have the proper skillset to do something more legit than just off-the-shelf bodyline.

holy fuck I'm overwhelmed and I don't even know where to begin
>>
>>9151279
What, for lolita?
Look into patterns for dresses. Look up what fabrics you want. Draft up some print designs.
>>
I'm trying to make this goggle beanie, but you see the fusing of glass and a chunky wool knit looks difficult to impossible without specially manufactured piece.

If the aesthetic isn't to be done away with, can anyone suggest how this might be done?

I have a wool beanie and some pair of poly-carbonate sunglass lenses.
>>
>>9151503
Someone gave me the link to the help thread and I realized it would be effective, are you mad still?
>>
>>9151502
Considering that you can see the knit through the lenses, it looks like they're just glued on. Do you want the goggles to be moderately functional?

>>9151503
>following him to the thread
Someone's bored.
>>
File: goggle beanie.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
goggle beanie.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>9151510
I tried to delete my old thread after the guy linked this one, but then "old thread"

the item I'm posting is actually designer and sells for $100+, though it's functional you have to flip the front down (only one layer holds them) and I have a feeling you'll be looking through a convex lense. Either way I don't want to drop $125 on one hat where I have lenses.

http://www.endclothing.com/us/c-p-company-goggle-beanie-cpua05010-999.html
>>
Cgl, I have a question. I'm planning to cosplay as Katana from the Suicide Squad movie. Would you say that she's wearing a white tube top, a bandeau or white strips/bandages? If they are bandages, how should I go about them? I don't need to bind down, but secure them so they won't slide.

Also would you say that her jacket is polyester or leather?
>>
File: Katana_(Karen_Fukuhara).png (309KB, 478x588px) Image search: [Google]
Katana_(Karen_Fukuhara).png
309KB, 478x588px
>>9151532
Sorry I dropped the pic
>>
File: 4410872-l+death+note.jpg (52KB, 678x472px) Image search: [Google]
4410872-l+death+note.jpg
52KB, 678x472px
I'm pretty new to cosplay,and I needed some help with my first cosplay,L from Death Note.I've got the outfit, but is there anyway to make my hair ''poof''a bit,for lack of a better word,because it's pretty straight,or should I go for a wig? (Ideally no-wig would be the best)Also another thing,what kind of dye/stuff would yo reccomend ?(I don't mind spending some time with black hair)
>>
>>9151541
Bait/10
>>
>>9151541
You need a wig, pal. I feel like this might be bait but I'll say it anyways. It's easiest to go on ebay and search "death note L wig" and find one that's about $15-20 and looks good in the stock photo. It will be cut, but NOT styled when you get it, you will have to do that yourself. Put it on and have someone with any experience with hair styling use hair gel to get it into the right shape. If you don't like the result, you can always just wash it out, let it dry, and try again. You may have to cut it a little, but don't get too crazy with the scissors if possible.
A decent quality wig will look fluffy enough so don't worry about that. Your natural hair will never get the right look for this character. If you hate wigs (I sure do), choose a character with super short hair or a helmet next time.
>>
>>9151541
don't shampoo or wet your hair completely for weeks
just comb it a LOT and don't get it dirty.
>>
>>9151533
Bandages. But you could cut up stripes of fabric and attach them to a tube top so you get the look without having to actually bind. And I'm pretty sure the jacket is silk. but if you want a quick cosplay you can just buy the HotTopic version of this jacket.
>>
File: _20160820_170616.jpg (16KB, 219x355px) Image search: [Google]
_20160820_170616.jpg
16KB, 219x355px
How would you go about making these pauldrons? Really struggling atm because I cant find pictures of other viewpoints or a 3d model
Its probably v easy but I am too stupid to figure it out
>>
>>9149004
If you want to be different from the rest fo the photogs why dont you only shoot male cosplayers? Or atleast mainly
>>
File: Residentevil4_conceptart_XkIpm.jpg (531KB, 1400x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Residentevil4_conceptart_XkIpm.jpg
531KB, 1400x2000px
Is there a name for the type of vest Luis wears with those types of patterns? Looks like some old school Spanish attire.
>>
File: IMG_20160820_130631935.jpg (981KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160820_130631935.jpg
981KB, 1456x2592px
Maybe I'm just retarded, but this is the first time I've worn a headbow with the straps coming out of the center and I can't get it to stand up properly. If I move my head at all it just flops backwards. Am I just wearing it wrong, or is there a proper way to pin it without the pins showing?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What you see is what I have so far. I'm trying to get this cosplay going and it's my first one. The only thing I'm missing at this point is armor for the arms and I may make some
Simple faulds for the sides of my legs. Any kind of help would be cool and criticism is welcome. I'm painting the foam parts today but I'm keeping that chest piece white. Thanks!
>>
>>9151938
It's a greninja gijinka
>>
>>9151520
>though it's functional you have to flip the front down
Then the lenses would be on the inside, it would look terrible, and most likely be very uncomfortable. Just glue lenses onto a hat.
>>
File: Voltron-6.jpg (139KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Voltron-6.jpg
139KB, 970x545px
So I want to make a space bro but am really stuck in the planning phase. I usually do fabric cosplays so this is slightly outside my comfort zone.
Would worbla over thin craft foam work for the armor? I want it to have the cartoony bubbled out look but I don't want to wear 10 pounds of plastic... And for the colored bits on the shoulder should I do that in worbla as well and attach it to the base suit underneath so it will have movement? I'm ignoring the helmet for now I think.
>>
>>9150219
>You could put neodymium magnets under the wig and then some in the siren, and it would work well taking it on or off (hold the wig when you do tho)
Would that scramble the siren or my brain? If not, then maybe!
>>
>>9150219
Those magnets are really strong. She'd never get the siren off without pulling her wig off.

Maybe a hair-clip of some kind?
>>
>>9152344
Look up Sintra armor
>>
>>9132153
Something for Future cosplay but I'm wondering if I should get real feathers or make one with something like craft foam which looks similar to the one in the picture.
>>
>>9152639
I've also seen feathers cut out of wool felt, I think either that or the foam would give a better, more uniform look, and be much easier to work with
>>
>>9152602
Depends on the size of the magnet...
>>
I'm fairly new to cosplay and is it looked down upon to buy components of your outfit? Like the character I'm interested in doing wears blue pants and I feel like it would save me a lot of time and money if I just bought them and it would look a lot better than if I made them.
>>
>>9150992
1) Make sure the glue is completely dry. This is really important, some glues will give off fumes or burn if they're heated before they're fully dry.
2) Heat it up. A heat gun is best, but I've had good results holding an iron next to EVA.
3) As it heats, the points will naturally 'relax'. If they don't, roll them gently on your counter top to flatten them.
>>
I've got everything sorted for my Cloud cosplay save for the sword. I'm worried it'll be too big to use/transport comfortably even if I make it so it can be disassembled, and so am thinking about going for one of his smaller swords instead. So - Hardedge or Nail Bat? What looks better?
>>
>>9153256

Hardedge for sure, no one would really recognize nail bat as being iconic.
>>
>>9153105
Not at all. I've had cosplays made completely out of nifty Goodwill finds. Especially for characters that wear casual outfits, it's just too much effort to make your own denim jeans.
Just keep material in mind. If your character's wearing a blue military outfit, don't cop out with blue jeans.
>>
>>9153105
No one cares.

As long as it looks true to the character do what looks best and is feasible for you.

If it's a half ass and looks half ass just have fun with it but don't expect people to love it.
>>
I'm a cosplay noob and I want to make some shitty swords. I know they won't look amazing.

HOWEVER every tutorial I look up tells me to start by getting some mysterious magical foam from who knows where. I have plenty of sheets of styrofoam(?) in my garage from the last time we got a new TV etc; why can't I use that?

tl;dr will a poorfag regret trying to cut a cosplay prop out of styrofoam boards
>>
>>9153625
What magical foam are we talking about? Expanding foam can be bought for a few dollars/euros/whatever a can, if you get two or so cans you can definitely make a sword. Look up expanding foam props. Bit of cardboard, a wooden dowel and some expanding foam and you're on your way.

Alternatively, but I don't know the cost of those, you can look for pink insulation foam.
>>
>>9153631
1. The sword is curved so a dowel core isn't so simple

2. ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE
>>
>>9153625
Probably those pink insulation boards.
Styrofoam is much less dense, plus the way it sheds is weird and it doesn't take kindly to sanding. That's why no one uses them usually.

You can try it if you want, maybe even use it for drafting or something, but it's going to be weak as hell and possibly lumpy.
>>
Has anyone here used a sewing machine for adding wefts to a wig? Is a free motion foot the way to go about it?
>>
>>9153625
You can use styrofoam, but it's awkward to cut and sand. If you do use it, you're better off using it as a core for covering with papier mache, primer and then sanding.
>>
I have a platinum blond wig with a lace front, and I have very dark hair. Even when I'm wearing a flesh-coloured hair cap, you can see the darkness of my hair showing through under the hair at the hairline. It does look like cool-girl roots, but it's not really appropriate for the character. What can I do?
>>
>>9154049
White hair cap under the flesh toned one?
>>
File: Helmet 1.jpg (86KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Helmet 1.jpg
86KB, 800x1200px
Anyone know where I can find a pattern I can use for this damn thing?
>>
File: pop6.png (346KB, 888x255px) Image search: [Google]
pop6.png
346KB, 888x255px
any idea where I could get these shoes or something similar without having to use a shopping service?
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 96

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.