[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Makeup you can't go cheap on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: 01_01.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
01_01.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
what makeup can't you try and be cheap about?
or really what kind of makeup just doesn't work unless it's the real deal?
>>
>Foundation/BB cream
Tried to skimp on BB cream once and just grabbed something from Target. My face was not happy with me
>>
for me it's eyelash glue...
don't wimp out on it... they fall off so easily.....
>>
Foundation, concealer, circle lenses. Also recommend going just a bit above the bottom $1-2 tier for eye shadows and blush for less chalkiness.
>>
face white. party or halloween store stuff will not do. go professional or don't even try.
>>
I'll second foundation because cheaper things rarely have their shades done well. Most of the time they have shit shades for deep skin tones and the lighter ones turn orange on your face. I've never once liked a drugstore foundation despite the dupe vids that makeup gurus do. Maybe it's good enough for 10 minutes of indoor, air conditioned, and studio lit video, but it will not look good for the whole day.

You should also splurge on eyeshadows that you want to be extremely vibrant. (And wear a primer ofc.)
>>
>>9108932
>Also recommend going just a bit above the bottom $1-2 tier for eye shadows and blush for less chalkiness.
Seconding this, e.l.f's eyeshadows are terrible.
>>
Eyeshadow primer is a game changer. I won't use eyeshadow without it anymore, it really brings out the color and stops it from creasing. I use Too Faced's (also speaking of them, I wish their CEO would keep his face off their IG. He looks like a gross fetus.)
Is you're doing whole face paint, use theater makeup. Cheap halloween kits melt off and make you break out. Ben Nye, Mehron, and Aqua Color are the good brands. And be sure to get setting spray for them.
>>
Primers. Usually, if you have a good primer, you can get away with 5$ Maybeline foundation, or a 10$ eyeshadow palette from ELF.
>>
BODY AND FACE PAINT. i think that's the number one.
>>
>>9108894
>>9108954

Does anyone else not wear foundation? I dont have acne problems/blemishs to cover up so I usually just apply some concealer around my eye, chin, and nose.
However I did recently buy a korean bb cream and have been wearing it. I'll use it up but definitely not a repurchase for me.
>>
>>9109085
Probably no one but yourself would notice the difference, but I notice a difference not wearing foundation even if I don't have acne that day. Skin is different colors on different parts of the face because of fat and blood vessels being different depths and not evenly distributed. Plus the sun not hitting all parts of the face evenly and causing some parts to be more tanned etc. overall it's probably better for your skin to not wear foundation, but it bothers me not to.
>>
>>9109085
I put 100x more effort into skincare than makeup so my skin is pretty decent and I never bother with foundation. I get kind of blotchy red/white when it's super hot outside but at that temp and sweat level, foundation isn't going to help.
>>
>>9109085
I don't have acne/blemishes either and I didn't used to wear foundation until last year. I love how even it makes my skin look and I can definitely tell a difference in photos. I think some sort of foundation/BB cream is a must even if it's not full coverage. That said, I only wear foundation when I'm going out. I don't think it's necessary every day but I'm not into full face make-up on the regular
>>
>>9109085
i don't wear foundation on a regular basis at all. i only wear foundation for costumes.
>>
>>9109085
I only ever wear BB cream, and even then it's only when I'm cosplaying usually.

Just don't need it. i just use a light powder if my skin is a bit uneven one day or another.
>>
>>9109085
I used to do that but then I noticed my freckles are light enough to not look like freckles from a distance, but they make my nose/cheeks definitely darker and it looks weird.
Also my pores are gapingly huge. So foundation covers that.

Not everyone needs foundation though, it really depends on your genetics, what you do throughout the day, etc.
>>
>>9108980
most silicone-based face primers are almost identical. it's pointless to buy smashbox when you can get e.l.f. for $3. higher end eyeshadow primers do usually make a difference though.
>>
>>9108920
What eyelash glue do you recommend?
>>
>>9109085
I don't wear makeup on the daily (being a guy etc. etc.), but I always use it for cosplay. My skin looks good and even, but using a medium-light cover foundation (I've been particularly enjoying Maybelline's mousse foundation) really does bump it ever so slightly up to "anime" on the smoothness scale, which I like.

Also, if you're wearing heavy beauty make up with very done brows and falsies and lipstick, foundation is a must.
>>
>>9109085
I hate the feeling of wearing a full face of makeup, and I live where it's warm most of the time and I sweat like a motherfucker. Unless I know I'm taking photos I usually only bother with concealer on any spots I'm not happy with, and then a mattifying powder to control shine. It helps that my skin tends to be dry, so I'm not all that shiney to begin with. I also spend a lot of time and effort on my skin care, so it's pretty easy to pull off a minimal look.
>>
Other than all the suggestions that people have put in (foundation, primer, etc), I also recommend getting a really good liquid eyeliner if that's your thing. I've found that drugstore brands tend to melt off my face really quickly, even the ones that claim to be waterproof. I have this problem with black pencil/kohl liners as well.
>>
>>9108883
Eyeliners: don't go too cheap with them or you'll regret wasting money.

Everyone's skin and "requirements" are different but I found that bargain brand liquid, pencil, and gel liners are just garbage. ELF keeps getting mentioned and I'd have to agree, the eyeliners just did not work well.

Eyeliners that are really cheap tend to be dry/chalky if a pencil/gel and therefore can pull at skin far too much just to get some color. Cheaper stuff tends to fade quicker or maybe never dry and smudge everywhere.

Honestly, to find the best product for you, I recommend going into stores and testing it out when possible.
>>
Mascara you can grt away cheap with a lot of good products. For a product you'll have to replace ecery so often, it's generally not worth going over ~12USD. Compare to a primer or foundation which might last for years.
>>
>>9109221
not that anon but Duo lash glue is the best. lasts until you want to take it off. I even swam in them once
>>
>>9109085
me too, I just never had acne or any skin issues, my skin has always been flawless
i do have a few surgical scars on my face but I just use concealer on those.
>>
>>9109085
Personally, I hate to bother with foundation if I'm just running to the store or class or something. I find my skin can be pretty uneven - it's not terrible but I do get blotching here and there, maybe really fine acne (not whiteheads or blackheads, but really tiny bumps on my forehead and chin). What helps me with this is to use powder foundation and concealer - it's light but with the way it evens the colour it makes for a huge difference.

I reserve BB cream or primer + liquid foundation for special occasions (cosplay, lolita, fancy dinner...)

Because of this, I would say not to skimp on foundation. Some are okay (I think my liquid one is from Loreal? idk but it's not the greatest in terms of staying power). I love my Etude House BB cream and my powder and concealer are Special FX. They're both fantastic.
>>
>>9109473
Thanks! Do you have any thoughts on the Revlon glue?
>>
>>9109368
Kid you not but the absolutely best liquid eyeliner I own is from Essence, it's easy to apply and it does not come off unless exposed to eye makeup remover (or chlorine).

Cheap, like <6 USD, pencils on the other hand tend to be hell on earth even if they are supposed to be waterproof or w/e.
>>
>>9109644

I have the Essence eyeliner and it doesn't stay on even with primer.

That being said I have oily asian eyes so most eyeliners smudge very quickly. I need to buy the good stuff I want to look I'm a middle schooler putting on makeup for the first time.
>>
>>9108883

Mascara for me, I've yet to find a mascara better than Better Than Sex.
>>
>>9109682
Seriously? I also have hooded eyes and fairly oily lids but their liner is the only one I can use without primer.
>>
WEAVE GLUE IS AMAZING FOR FAKE EYELASHES.

PURPLE ELMERS GLUE STICK HELPS WITH MORE THAN JUST HAIR

it's like RPDR basically makes budget cosplays look amazing because theyre using shit youre not supposed to
>>
>>9109803
>Weave glue for eye lashes
Oh Jesus, wouldn't that hurt like fuck to take off? Don't you have to heat it with a blow dryer too? Tap dancing christ, as someone who's done glued in weaves that just sounds all kinds of awful. Please go on.
>>
>>9109803
>weave glue for eyelashes
The sound of this makes me nervous.
>>
>>9109820
why would you blow dry it? it's thick and basically peels off very well as opposed to the handfull of glues I've used that have made cleaning lashes either a huge chore or have ruined them all together.

>>9109821
THE ONLY ISSUE much like anything else you put around your eyes is being careful in not getting it in your eyes, but weave glue doesnt drip and dries in minutes. depending on how its worn it can even add that extra bit of volume because you lay the glue thick enough.

I shit you not about that.
>>
>>9109833
Whenever I got them done, they would put the blow dryer on high heat for it to set in. Always was a bitch to take out which is why I only do sew-ins now.
>>
>>9109851
I stopped wearing glue-ins on my hair and just learned to make wig pieces out of them... then the day I had no lash glue I tried weave glue and it just saved my life. making your own wig for cosplay is a little daunting and I know some people who just buy the wefts and clips and do it that way, but I find I can use better quality hair and style it as I lay it down.. not to mention some of my less crazier cosplay wigs I wear for special occasions as my actual hair is thinner. gotta have crazy volume
>>
On the topic of eyelash glue, I have the house of lashes one and as someone with very limited experience when it comes to falsies...

How the heck are you supposed to remove the rest of the glue? It's so close to my eye, I get nervous. I thought it was supposed to just kinda peel off, kinda imitating latex based glues, but apparently not? It might be because I removed them really soon after applying them (it was essentially just a make up test so I took a few selfies and removed them like five minutes later because it wasn't very comfortable and I needed to trim them a bit more) but even then? I had a thin strip of lash glue present for a few days afterwards.
>>
>>9109866
Makeup remover. I use those little circle-shaped pads that come soaked in remover. I just kind of dab it on the lash while gently pulling it until it comes off. If it hurts, dab it more.
>>
>>9109866
q-tip dipped in makeup remover
>>
>>9108973
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the TF ceo is creepy as shit
>>
>>9109368
Hard Candy's Walk the Line liquid liner in Asphalt is hands down the BEST cheap black liner I've ever had. I've actually consistently repurchased it for about 6 years, and I buy extras for my pro kit as well. It takes a few seconds to dry down, but once it does, it lasts forever.
>>
>>9109615
Revlon glue was rather meh. It wasn't terrible, but duo and house of lashes glue is wayyyyy better.
>>
a tip to those talking about cheap eyeliner: patting black (or whatever color) eyeshadow on top of it after you apply will make it last longer and keep it from transferring
>>
>>9110303
Thanks so much for your consideration!
>>
>>9108964
Their eyeshadows have like no color payoff, i prefer dollar store la girl eyeshadows, i ude their lil cheap palettes all the time
>>
>>9110304
I honestly only really use eyeshadow darker than what I do to my eyes anyways. Its so much easier and I learn more towards that soft look. Not just because I suck as eyeliner [cough]. Ive tried eyeliner for years and I can make a wing and correct with concealer, but nothing looks as good on me as a soft eyeshadow, close to the lashline look. Its more sweet and pairs nicely with my earth toned clothing I always wear and shabby chic aesthetic.

>>9110315
I used DUO too. Its very good.

>>9109711
I honestly really like Lashblash Volume by Covergirl. I swear by it. What you have to do, with any mascara, is a thin first coat, let it dry, and then a thin second coat. This is the best way to keep your mascara from spidering. Also if you just barely lift your upper lid when applying mascara, it helps coat everything more evenly and you can properly reach those inner corner lashes on your upper line. I mainly use it because its brown and I like brown mscara more than dark. I have freckles, a lot of them, so harsh [like I said up top abut using eyeshadow on my upper lashlline' black mscara looks bad on me.

>>9108894
I have Elf BB cream and holy shit. That with their translucent powder, their duo highlighter/concealer and a beauty blender. Oooooh man. I have never looked for damn photoshopped on my life. Their BB cream is lightweight enough where you don't get cakey. Easily the best cheap BB cream I have ever had. Another foundation I really like is Covergirl's Ready Set Georgeous.

I have freckly skin, but I'm also that weird pale very slight pink that most companies have shades for. Im that ivory undertone pink that makes it sooooo easy to find concealers that match exactly to my tone. I feel bad for people with more yellow tones and are pale and have trouble finding foundations.
>>
What about lipsticks? Or lip stuff?
>>
>>9110971
I can reccommend the Maybelline matte lippies. They stay on pretty decent and stain a lot, so when they're going they're at least rather elegant at it

Also the gel liner they have is BOMB. Once it sets it's there. I wear it rarely because it's a bitch to remove, only when I need my liner to be bulletproof.
>>
>>9110971
Baby Lips chap sticks have surprisingly good pigment, but since they are chap sticks they don't overwhelm. The packaging is cute as well!
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.