[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patterns Catering to Cosplayers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 40

Saw this on Simplicity's site and wondering what exactly inspired this? I know that they're trying to zero into that genderbend cosplay crowd but this seems to be getting weirder and weirder with every new pattern. Wouldn't it be a better use of their time to make more exact or really close patterns like their Zelda or GoT stuff?
>>
>>9105396
Even weirder is this Linkl that isn't even accurate to Linkl
>>
>>9105396
>what exactly inspired this
>electric panel on the front of the black one
>that belt on the white one
>the camo and belt on the green one

Really, anon?
It's slutty Star Wars.
>>
File: il_570xN.802102950_a6pv.jpg (119KB, 570x832px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.802102950_a6pv.jpg
119KB, 570x832px
>>9105408
I know what it is, I more just wondering why they need to keep coming up with weird outfits instead of just making ones that are replicas. That being said I have a soft spot for the Tardis/Dalex dress. Probably because most Tardis dresses are some monstrosity with an enormous skirt when it's supposed to be a fucking tall, thin box.
>>
>>9105415
Because people want to sex up their cosplays. It's not a new notion and gets people cosfamous nowadays, anon. That means if the trend keeps going (which sex sells, so it likely will), if they make sluttier costumes, people are likely to buy it. That + Star Wars hype.
>>
This shit really gets me. I don't know WHY it bothers me so much, but it really steams me.

Its such a rip-off and obvious money grab and seems to be just one step above buying a shitty satin monster from china.
>>
>>9105490
except this pattern is actually good. It's made by Firefly-path, who has a great reputation and knows what she's doing.
>>
>>9105490
Do you know how much I would have killed for a pattern this close to a character when I started out? This is amazing.
>>
>>9105490
Oh man I know right?

Like I hate cosplayers who buy from arda or epic or get pre styled wigs on taobao.

I mean what happened to the good old days of sharpie dying over priced wigs from ebay huh?

Or how every one makes their cosplays out of good fabric these days instead of basic cottons and broad cloths.

And all the damn cosplayers who can buy accurate shoes instead of using their sneakers and hoping no one will notice.

A sad age for cosplay.
>>
>>9105490
With the exception of the paint job on the armor this is probably one of the best Zelda interpretations I've ever seen. Especially the use of textured silk on the bodice.
>>
File: 1464272876689.jpg (506KB, 1000x695px) Image search: [Google]
1464272876689.jpg
506KB, 1000x695px
>>9105396
>>9105402
>>9105415
Ok now that I'm done being a sarcastic asshole, I bought most of these patterns (sans Linkil magey one, havent seen that in store yet)

I like the simplicitys push towards more cosplay orientated outfits. I dont think I'll ever make anything to look EXACTLY like the patterns because god knows I do not need a tardis or dalek ball gown in my closet, but because I can see myself using aspects of these patterns in other costumes.

I dont think cosplayers will ever stop macgyvering patterns to make things accurate. But now when I look at a cosplay and think "Hmmm need a shirtless sleeve sort of thing, oh hey heres that sexed up storm trooper pattern, yeah I can make that work" Besides if you do the smart thing and wait for the near constant 99 cents or 5 for 5 deals, then its cost effective and helpful. I almost never have to leave the costume section any more. I used to hate pouring over the pages and pages of the fashion sections looking for anything remotely similar that I could alter to get the look that I wanted.
>>
>>9105490
Do you think companies like Simplicity even tried to collab with Nintendo? Or do you think they're just hoping they don't get sued for copyright infringement? Like, on their website it doesn't say anything about The Legend of Zelda and they went out of their way to make sure none of the Hylian royal seals were on their product.

Am I missing something or is this not really legal?
>>
File: simplicitygot2.jpg (733KB, 655x950px) Image search: [Google]
simplicitygot2.jpg
733KB, 655x950px
>>9105513
I think it completely depends on the company in question. Maybe they can get away with it more easily because they aren't using the name or it's a Japanese franchise. I know the GoT patterns got in trouble for being too on the nose and got a new pattern number and a photoshopped pallet swap to get around IP laws.
>>
File: simplicitygot1.jpg (758KB, 666x950px) Image search: [Google]
simplicitygot1.jpg
758KB, 666x950px
>>9105519
>>
File: 81gGdNaFcwL._SY355_.jpg (25KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
81gGdNaFcwL._SY355_.jpg
25KB, 355x355px
>>9105513
>>9105519
>>9105522
Eh its not like its really robbing sales from them. If Nintendo ever did colab with a company to produce a copy righted pattern for them then I can see it being an issue (same for HBO and game of thrones patterns)

what kinda surprises me is how those McCalls knock offs for the Frozen stuff flew under the radar. Disney is so anal about their copy right and they have those official patterns with Simplicity. I personally think the simplicity patterns are pretty good, though some of the princess's are a bit hit or miss (looking at you Cinderella 2015 patterns)

most baffling to me? The sailor scout Elsa pattern.
>>
>>9105511
This.

Its so nice now that these company's have made patterns like this because you can better find these more impossible shapes & patterns that you could never hope to find before.

Hell, you can buy a pattern for a sefuku now, rather then hunting a tutorial for the collar & finding a shirt pattern to work with it.
>>
File: M7141_views.png (253KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
M7141_views.png
253KB, 1200x1200px
>>9105536
Yeah. I actually really like the simplicity one, came out nice when I sewed it. Not a huge fan of the McCalls version, a bit confused whats going on with that collar on D.
>>
File: 1551_env_front.jpg (204KB, 915x1316px) Image search: [Google]
1551_env_front.jpg
204KB, 915x1316px
>browsing simplicity patterns for that awful cosplay pattern I keep seeing at Walmart
>end up finding this instead

I'm tasteless weeb trash for wanting these sleeves on my wedding dress, but I can't help it.
>>
>>9105522

So how well does that Dany pattern come out? I'm kind of curious now. Not that I could cosplay her anyways since she has huge eyes and I have my tiny asian ones so I'd look a bit like a skinnier Yaya han
>>
>>9105513
>>9105519

If they aren't using the name of the IP in question and no copywrited symbols (for example, using the Imperial Insignia, the Triforce) then they can do whatever they want.

Two-dimensional visual art like symbols can be copyrighted. Names of games, shows, properties can be trademarked. Clothing designs are not copyrightable. This is some longstanding ill information going on in the cosplay community for AGES but the fact is that design elements cannot be under copyright, especially design elements that were originally depicted in a different medium (because then you can't even claim process/patent violations), especially generic as fuck shit like "white and pink dress with armor elements" etc.

publicknowledge.org/news-blog/blogs/cosplay-goes-to-the-supreme-court

Cut and color and design are currently not covered by these laws. Ergo as long as they're making what're essentially knock off patterns and not calling it what it is they're fine. Simplicity and Mccalls have been making wink-nod patterns for movie and comic cosplay for decades.
>>
>>9105537
Yeah, I've used both patterns and I have to say the Simplicity pattern is a lot easier to use and the measurements are more accurate.
The mccalls one ws very frustrating to make, especially the jacket and skirt
>>
>>9105402
I mean I get what you're saying, but costume patterns are never gonna be 100% accurate due to copyright, unless they get some kinda licensing thing probably.
>>
>>9105549
>>9105537

I'm new to sewing and am using that pattern for the D shirt and F skirt. Should I just use another pattern for a plain collared shirt and make a separate pleated skirt to avoid the weird neckline?
>>
>>9105578
Not sure what to tell you on the skirt as I usually pattern my own pleated skirts (as I much prefer box pleats to knife pleats) which you can find tutorials for on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoFJUNclnE explains it pretty well.

As for the shirt I'm not a personal fan of this one. Didnt sew up super well for me. I mean it depends what your making. If you just need a basic short sleeve button up shirt they are not difficult to find.
>>
>>9105542
I made the 1246 one while I was still a bit of a noob, so I'm not sure if I did everything right. I wanted to make Dany's Astapor dress. I used a linen blend as my main fabric and did the the "dragon skin" embroidery and smocking. Personally, I thought the zipper placement was kind of odd. It's also very hard to sew in the invisible zipper with the amount of layers you'll have on the bodice edges. Mine looks like shit right around the zipper and I couldn't place it any better at all because of the amount of fabric layers, especially right around the ends of the X shape on the front of the bodice. The zipper thing they have you do makes it kind of hard to get in and out of because they have you sew in a super long zipper and it curves down into the sleeve, and into the inside of the dress when it zips up. I don't know if that's done very often or not...? You have to put on the dress and then kind of tuck the lining back into the dress through your arm. The X part on the bodice also ended up being kind of short on the ends even after being cut right for size I used. I ended up making it work but it was a little scary. This pattern also doesn't have the cutout in the back like the real dress. It has these strap things that go onto the side that you put grommets into and lace it up in the back. I didn't bother trying to mod the pattern to open up at the back. The pattern was good practice and I learned from it but there are issues with it.
>>
>>9105500
I'm just saying I like the process of creating everything. Modifying patterns, making boot covers, styling a wig and sewing my costume are all part of the fun for me. I know it's not that way for everyone. So me personally, having simplicity rip of Nintendo to market something to me, a cosplayer, for the cash is like an insult.
Again I know not for everyone but it's they don't understand cosplay and are trying to make something that they think is appealling.
It would have been totally fine with me if they ripped off the cut of the dress and marketed it as a vampire costume or something.
>>
File: 3782947_orig.jpg (211KB, 556x800px) Image search: [Google]
3782947_orig.jpg
211KB, 556x800px
>>9105610
It's really there for
>entry-level cosplayers
>people who can't internet and realize that there's probably a free version online of exactly what they're looking for
>grandma who doesn't know who this Annie May girl is but apparently their granddaughter HAS to have a costume of her
>People who would rather spend more time making the rest than drafting

Personally I like getting these mostly because there's random parts in them like weird sleeves and skirts but I have yet to make a full costume out of one pattern set.

Somewhat related but kinda looking forward to grabbing this waist cincher pattern at this weekend's sale. There doesn't seem to be a lot of comercial waist cinchers or corset patterns that aren't just weird tubes.
>>
>>9105610
thats fine but why the fuck are you shitting on people that want to use the pattern? I'd say its way more than a step above buying the costume. You still have to construct and alter it. Now there's just less to alter.
>>
>>9105610
I know that you acknowledge that not everyone does it the way you do it, but you're looking at this like simplicity is trying to market these to experienced or regular cosplayers and longtime hobbyist costumers, when they aren't trying to do that specifically. They're for n00b-tier cosplayers, costumers, and sewists; someone who is just starting out might want to just go for the pattern that looks pretty close rather than trying to fiddle around with modifying patterns because they've never done anything like that before or aren't confident in their skills to do something like that. Either someone who is a noob cosplayer, or someone who's just trying to put together a basic halloween costume, or like >>9105618 mentions, family members who just wanna make a cute little costume for their child/niece/newphew/grandchild/etc. The weird costumes like sexy darth vader in OP's post are definitely geared more towards the halloween crowd probably.

I mean honestly, even with the Zelda pattern, I feel like it would still be a nice option for some people who are regular or semi-experienced cosplayers - even if the pattern isn't 100% exact, it would still be less work for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time going through the pattern and figuring out different modifications and frankensteining patterns together. Instead of thinking of it as simplicity trying to market the pattern to someone like you, remember that they're trying to market it to the people who aren't like you - those with a different skillset and level of interest.
>>
>>9105620
Just FYI this pattern isn't actually made to be a waist cincher. It's made to be a fashion corset. If you know what you're doing you can modify it into a waist cincher but it won't work without modifications. I was excited to not have to massively alter a pattern for one and then when I looked at it I realized I would actually have to mod it a lot.
>>
How are Yaya's patterns? I was thinking about getting the one piece suit one and altering it for a Miraculous cosplay.
>>
>>9105631
not sure about the body suit. I've heard different things about it, a good chunk of them positive. Just be sure to dart it yourself so it fits right.

I used her corset pattern recently for a bodice on something and it turned out pretty well. But mind the cup sizes. I'm usually a DD but on her pattern I had to use a C
>>
>>9105622
Please point out where I "Shit on people" for wanting to use the pattern. I simply said it's not for me, but only one type of cosplayer.
Looks like someone uses commercial costume patterns.
>>
>>9105626
Totally get your point. I guess I grew up in the cosplay dark ages and still can be masochistic about 100% accurate, pain staking detail.
It still steams my broccoli that Simplicity doesn't even make an effort not to rip off Zeldas design, but I also acknowledge that it's still 100% legal to copy clothing design in the US.
>>
>>9105637
>"seems to be just one step above buying a shitty satin monster from china."
>>
>>9105660
Which thousands of cosplayers do and I dont have a problem with. Sorry if my wording got your panties in a bunch.
I'm not going to argue with you about nothing or try to defend myself. Again, I'm only one type of cosplayer with different options about how cosplay is branded to the world.

I forgot for a minute cgl has been infiltrated by tumblr and "just have fun" cosplay is not to be though of as lesser in anyway!
>>
>>9105396
How long until we see one of these actually pop up at a convention tho?
There have to be some clueless people out there that think "Sexy ill-fitting Storm Trooper is the cosplay to get me noticed!"
>>
Pic related is my current fave, and I got my hot lil hands on it recently for cheap due to Hancock's going out of business sale.
>>
File: fucking yandy.png (197KB, 470x499px) Image search: [Google]
fucking yandy.png
197KB, 470x499px
>>9105396
>>9105402
>>9105415
This reminds me so much of Yandy. Basically an online lingerie shop with a costume section that skirts around copyrights in the flimsiest way possible. Only at least patterns can be useful.
>>
>>9105759
Pretty amusing, but not really a Yandy-only thing. That's just a general costume thing. Go into any Spirit/chain halloween pop-up shop during October and look through the costumes there - tons of obvious wink/nod costumes with phony names used to skirt around copyrights.
>>
>>9105669
>I forgot for a minute cgl has been infiltrated by tumblr and "just have fun" cosplay is not to be though of as lesser in anyway!

This is a reminder I think about from time to time. I'm not a super cereal to be sure but it burns my biscuits when people expect the same fawning over their storebought/dealersroom bought/ebay/party city/pieced together from goodwill "just having fun" cosplay as a this took a month to find the fabric/and 6weeks of free time to sew it cosplay.

Even better is when they think the storebought deserves a photoshoot, 40 images posted, and was omg SO hard.

Dude just chill. It's ok to admit people are more skilled than you. Hell, I have been sewing for over a decade and I know people are more skilled than me and I'm good.
>>
>>9105620
I made this recently and like >>9105628 said it doesn't quite have the properties of a true cincher. Still I think it worked super nice for what it was and was something I managed to work on in a day. Found it a bit strange that it doesn't really recommend any lining or proper boning channels though.
>>
>>9105415
In relation to that, why do I never see flapper 20's Tardis dresses?
>>
>>9105633
Clothing patterning does cup size by the difference between upper bust and full bust rather than under bust and full bust like a bra. I wear a D bra but for sewing I'm a B. Bust sizing/ratios are such an inconsistent mess that would be a lot better if they didn't call them "cup sizes" for patterns.But definite worth cutting a bodice mockup for chest fitting at any rate. You never really know what you're going to get.
>>
>>9105541
>weeb
>posting a pattern knocking off Lord of the Rings
>>
Can anyone recommend a good blazer pattern? I used Simplicity's Amazing Fit blazer and it was a nightmare. I spent hours fixing the fit and had to take inches off every piece.
>>
File: full_size.jpg (37KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
full_size.jpg
37KB, 570x587px
>>9105999
This pattern is amazing. Very true to size which is unusual for Simplicity. I just had to bring mine in in the back waist.
I even use the sleeve pattern for other garments because it's such a great fit.
I bought a second one last time they were $1 because I use it so much.
>>
>>9106013
Thanks so much anon! I'll definitely pick one up at the next Joann sale. I should have asked here before getting the other one.
>>
>>9106013
I wonder if I can use this for a Vampire Knight school uniform. I was considering buying the costume since I didn't want to waste time making such a widely available costume, but they all seem to have incredibly ill-fitting blazers. This seems like a great pattern.
>>
>>9105893
Or a gogo/mod dress or a lady bobby cop

>>9105669
>I forgot for a minute cgl has been infiltrated by tumblr and "just have fun" cosplay

4/10 I replied. Is using commercial patterns somehow the same as hotgluing a homestuck broadcloth ballgown together? You still have to know a gusset from a gather from a grommet to actually use a pattern.
>>
>>9106055
I think that store bought patterns tend to to be ill fitting as they usually have 2-4 inches of ease and you need some skill to make them suit your body. Typically a home sewn costume can look even worse than a pre made Chinese one. It all depends on the skill of the cosplayer.
I apreciate the effort more than anything though, even when it comes to poorly home made.
>>
>>9105490
Are you serious? This is like the one good thing for costumes so far and has clear effort put into it. They clearly followed some decent references.
>>
>>9106065
I think the issue isn't that the pattern is available, it's that they ripped of a character design to make money. It's a grubby move on simplicitys/firefly paths part.
Like Anon said before, it would be different if it was the exact same dress marketed as a vampire, or elf instead.

Besides, this pattern is hardly saving you any time from making some small modifications to a pattern that was already available. People are acting like this pattern was a gift from God, but Zeldas dress is a pretty simple princess seam dress
>>
>>9106055
Twiggy Tardis!
>>
>>9106074
Is it grubby if Nintendo doesn't actually sell this as a costume?
>>
>>9105396
The answer is simple. In order to stay in business, these companies need to cater to their biggest growing customer demo. Your average cosplayer is an adult fast approaching or past 30 with disposable income. The "old lady who quilts and knits sweaters" generation is literally dying off, and we are their next biggest growth opportunity to go after additional revenue.

It's all about the almighty dollar, but if it helps me grow my cosplay skills then I'm all for it. These patterns can be easily altered to be screen accurate of the character you are trying to portray. Most cosplayers would go through the "costumes" section of the books to find a "close enough" pattern that we would have to HEAVILY alter, the pattern companies recognized that and started making patterns that were even "closER enough" and require a lot less altering on my part. I'm so for all this
>>
>>9106074
Something you need to remember is that some of us who sew ONLY sew for cosplay, and it is the reason we learned how to so in the first place. Not all of us are just born seamstresses who have been designing and making clothes and theater costumes our whole lives. This is a great help for noob sewers who don't want to let their lack of sewing expertise and experience stop them from showing their love of a character by making a costume of them and portraying them, while also knowing that you made that tribute of a costume, with your own two hands.

It's all about letting you express your love without anything getting in your way.
Thats what cosplay is all about too.
We need a little more love in the cosplay world.
>>
>>9106227
^^^

Agreed, I'm spending less time scratching my head trying to make sense of a poorly worded pattern. Of which is already needing to be altered for what I need it for.
>>
>>9105537
I have the Simplcity one too & I really like it. I haven't used the skirt yet but the too & collar is nice
>>
File: Cg15quzUUAE7aZF.jpg large.jpg (142KB, 695x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Cg15quzUUAE7aZF.jpg large.jpg
142KB, 695x1024px
>>9105537
Yeah, the Simplicity is far better as a basic starter for beginners. I don't know what McCall was thinking when they made theirs. Just yesterday I had to convince a grandma and her granddaughter to put back the McCall pattern and wait for the Simplicity sale to make her first sailor uniform (Gasai Yuno from Mirai Nikki).
>>
File: Cg15rJ_VEAAAc54.jpg large.jpg (202KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
Cg15rJ_VEAAAc54.jpg large.jpg
202KB, 1024x678px
>>9106325
If anyone is interested in knowing what this pattern is like
>>
File: Cg15ru_UcAEigku.jpg large.jpg (134KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
Cg15ru_UcAEigku.jpg large.jpg
134KB, 1024x805px
>>9106327
>>
File: ChA21YvUkAAgi3B.jpg large.jpg (178KB, 748x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA21YvUkAAgi3B.jpg large.jpg
178KB, 748x1024px
>>9106328
>>
File: ChA22G_UUAEuR-O.jpg large.jpg (179KB, 688x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA22G_UUAEuR-O.jpg large.jpg
179KB, 688x1024px
>>9106329
Here I must ask, what do you guys prefer? Sewing up the bodice's side seams + sleeves onto the bodice first, then attaching the sailor collar, or do like the pattern suggests, putting the collar on first, then finish the bodice and sleeves?
>>
File: ChA22xdU0AANwqS.jpg large.jpg (186KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA22xdU0AANwqS.jpg large.jpg
186KB, 682x1024px
>>9106335
>>
File: ChA23TTUkAA3bpI.jpg large.jpg (196KB, 691x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA23TTUkAA3bpI.jpg large.jpg
196KB, 691x1024px
>>9106336
>>
>>9106061
Part of the ease problem is women don't read the measurement guidelines and use their full bust rather than high bust to pick a size. Between measuring in the right place and checking the finished garment measurements on the pattern piece (or measuring them yourself) you can get a pretty good fit from Big 4s without major alterations.
>>
File: ChA3ddBU0AAMrTI.jpg large.jpg (173KB, 670x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA3ddBU0AAMrTI.jpg large.jpg
173KB, 670x1024px
>>9106339
>>
>>9106227
Exactly this, and the sniping is so immature and ridiculous. Simplicity sells patterns. They want to make the patterns people want to buy, because people want to buy them and Simplicity wants to stay in business. Everyone wins. I shop for fabric a not-Joanns location, and the customer base is 95% old women and immigrants who sew their own hijabs. Clothing making is a dying hobby for Americans under 60, and cosplay is an exception.
>>
File: ChA3d10UkAAEpyr.jpg large.jpg (176KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ChA3d10UkAAEpyr.jpg large.jpg
176KB, 681x1024px
>>9106342
All in all a decent basis for people to use and modify. The pattern creates an unlined product, but it can be easily lined. The top things I would change about it are adding vertical darts to the front to make the uniform top a little more form-fitting (current result is pretty barrel-like on most people's body) and the when to sew the collar onto the bodice. Maybe include a little more instruction on how to do neat corners on the stripe trim on the collar.
>>
>>9105490
I'm annoyed with the Zelda one because it doesn't have the pleats in her dress. Would've bought it for that.
>>
>>9106232
You are so full of shit.
I made my first costume 8 years ago from modified patterns with almost zero sewing experience beyond pillowcases. The difference is back a few years ago people were still expected to put some effort into their costume.
Cosplay is easier than ever and bigger than ever but there are fewer people than ever putting effort into their sewing.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pick the closest available pattern, make a mock up and draw out the new style lines before cutting it apart.
I'm sorry you are so unskilled you need your cosplay patterns handed to you at the expense of other people's intellectual property.
>>
>>9106366
Exactly. People are acting like this dress couldn't be made before this pattern existed but it isn't even a good rip-off.
>>
This isn't even new? They had sailor moon patterns in the 90s for kids. And have always make knock off patterns for new movies.
>>
>>9106369
>at the expense of other people's intellectual property.

Clothing design is explicitly NOT intellectual property and cannot be copyrighted.
>>
>>9106369
Pfft, you do realize quite a lot of Sailor Moon's world has outfits ripped straight from high couture. Should we penalize Naoko as well?
>>
>>9106389
Obviously what Simplicity does is legal, but it's not exactly moral. Personally, I feel like there is a huge difference between a clothing company making a similar dress that Gucci sells, and Simplicity making an almost exact replica of Nintendo's character design. Obviously an exact copy isn't ok, or they wouldn't have bothered making motif changes, so why is a 98% copy ok. Character design isn't clothing design, and simplicity didn't just copy Zelda's clothing here, they copied her hair, crown, armor, tabard, and accessories to sell their pattern.

Then at the same time, Simplicity upholds that their patterns can not be used to make garments for sale and insinuate that it is illegal, when they it explicitly can not copywrite their patterns.

They are a skeezy company. Just because it isn't illegal to copy big name clothing designers, costume designers and copyrighted characters doesn't mean it is ok.
>>
>>9106398
Before someone tries to White Knight Simplicity's lies: http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/CopyrightLaw/Patterns/SimplicityEmail.shtml
>>
File: M2053.jpg (74KB, 450x475px) Image search: [Google]
M2053.jpg
74KB, 450x475px
Not sure what the new Cosplay by McCall's patterns are based on.
>>
File: M2052.jpg (51KB, 450x475px) Image search: [Google]
M2052.jpg
51KB, 450x475px
>>9106438
>>
File: M2054.jpg (82KB, 450x475px) Image search: [Google]
M2054.jpg
82KB, 450x475px
>>9106444
>>
>>9106438
This one is based on the movie Crimson Peak
>>
>>9106401

it's a thin line. methods and procedures aren't copyrightable, nor are designs themselves, but the actual physical print of the pattern on the tissue paper constitutes a printed piece of artwork. so technically copying the exact pieces in a large frame copier and selling them would be no different than copying pages from, say, an engineering textbook and selling them. a violation on a very technicality.

>>9106398

I'm pretty sure nintendo doesn't give a fuck and won't give a fuck unless they decide to start selling their own costumes or patterns.

>It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pick the closest available pattern, make a mock up and draw out the new style lines before cutting it apart.

And yet, despite being easier than ever, the average jump between people who know what they're doing and people who look like shit is wider than ever. People who know what they're doing are still putting far more effort into their work than people who just cut the pattern as is and use fucking iron-on hem-tape. commercial patterns never look exact right out of the envelope and require a good amount of fiddling regardless. the only difference is instead of having to do the middle step of slash and spreading my regular sloper, I have the sleeve and collar shape already worked out for the most part. It's a time saver of three hours in a 50+ hour process.
>>
File: M7421_a.jpg (218KB, 1600x2200px) Image search: [Google]
M7421_a.jpg
218KB, 1600x2200px
The choice of boots on this pattern always gets me
>>
>>9106446

>mfw I just spent literally all weekend macguevering a jumpsuit out of other patterns

fml
>>
>>9105490
That shared sword prop between the Zelda and this pattern
>>
>>9106453
WHY
>>
>>9106453
Knock off Uggs are the cheapest, fastest thing to get that's vaguely similar to the po-zu boots.
>>
>>9106398
>I feel like there is a huge difference between a clothing company making a similar dress that Gucci sells,

Yeah, in one case the knock off is in the same medium--clothing and clothing--while in the case of the pattern it is not in any way displacing or competing with a product licensed or produced by Nintendo. Arguably there's no market overlap between Gucci customers and the H&M Gucci knock off customers, but the knock off is an actual knock off. The pattern for a Zelda dress isn't.
>>
>>9106464
To be fair the real po-zu boots are pretty similar to uggs in shape
>>
>>9106438
This one is crimson peak
>>9106444
This one is Vikings obviously. They just released an awful Lagertha one too
>>
>>9105415
Just fucking holding a wisk nbd.
>>
>>9106398

Except a company making a similar dress that Gucci sells, or chinese companies making knockoff Gucci bags, actually hurts Gucci because they're competing with a product already available (not that Gucci gives a shit since they're loaded, but still lol). Nintendo isn't selling patterns or even costumes, so it's not hurting their market.
>>
>>9105833
I've actually seen people do bullshit reasoning like "I worked for the money that I bought this cosplay with, so technically I went just through just as much trouble as someone who made the costume from scratch!". Ugh.
>>
>>9107160
By that logic, someone who made their costume from scratch still worked harder than someone who bought it because they had to work for the money to buy materials in addition to working on the costume itself.
>>
>>9107174
Yeah people forget that labor is an expense.
>>
File: 1.jpg (230KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
230KB, 1600x1071px
Somewhat related, how do you guys deal with patterns when you're not using them?
>>
>>9106501
It's pretty fucking clever given how absurd the Dalek "weapons" are. They have a freaking bathroom plunger extension.
>>
>>9107596
Leave them out until my cats tear them to pieces. I rarely buy a pattern when they're not on sale for $1.99, so fuck it when I'm done using it that one time.
>>
>>9107596
I iron them if they get too puffy to fit back into the envelope and then I have a boot box that I store them all in. I always end up dumping the box on the floor and sifting through for the pattern I want because there's no organization but at least they're all in one place.
>>
>>9107596
I make copies of patterns with tracing paper for altering to preserve the originals. I keep the duplicates in a binder in sheet protectors taped closed and the originals in their envelopes in a box.
>>
File: 61NoD2CdqxL._SL1204_.jpg (64KB, 831x1204px) Image search: [Google]
61NoD2CdqxL._SL1204_.jpg
64KB, 831x1204px
>>9107596
I fold up the pieces neatly with the original pattern envelope (if there was one), reference sheets of the costume, and anything else paper and stick them all into a 9" X 12" manila envelope, labeled on the outside. No more wrestling pieces back into the envelope.
>>
>>9107596
I keep mine in a baggy. I use pattern stick so they rarely put up with being folded up properly after I've used them. I then catalog them so I know what they are by project and style and what I generally use them for.
>>
>>9107713
I do this too Anon. Are we twins?
>>
>>9107655
>>9107713
This is a lot of effort! I just wait until the patterns go on sale for $.99 and buy a bunch of new ones or replacements. I can not even imagine copying a pattern.
>>
File: dir_en_grey die.jpg (31KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
dir_en_grey die.jpg
31KB, 355x500px
>>9105396
Is this supposed to be a dir en grey x Darth Vader crossover cosplay?
>>
>>9107759
I heavily modify my patterns and trace the modifications onto new paper that original pattern doesn't get used in the final product anymore. It generates a lot of new paper pieces that will have to go in a new, big envelope to fit everything in.
>>
>>9107759

Only downside to that is sometimes they go out of print and then screwed
>>
>>9107886
I do this, too. It keeps my patterns reusable (in the 10+ years I've been sewing, I've gone up and down six dress sizes) and they fit back into the envelope neatly. Every so often I clean out my traced and modified patterns for stuff that either doesn't fit anymore or I won't be remaking.
>>
>>9106501
Plunger in the other hand. Deadly Dalek..
>>
>>9107886
>>9108478
Basically this. I've only been sewing for a couple of years but I rarely use a pattern as is, and they tend to make good bases for multiple modified patterns. Also since I'm so inexperienced I know I'm prone to making mistakes with the drafting, so keeping the original uncut helps for multiple attempts. I also preserve original patterns in anticipation of major weight changes over the next few years.
>>
File: M7340_a.jpg (328KB, 1600x2200px) Image search: [Google]
M7340_a.jpg
328KB, 1600x2200px
Has anyone tried the manly bodysuit pattern? I apparently need to make sailor senshi uniforms for two buff dudes and this is the only thing that feels close enough
>>
i love how a lot of anons in this thread think this is some kind of new thing....it's not. the big 3 have had patterns that look similar to, but not exactly like, costumes from popular IPs for DECADES. this has always been a thing. there were star wars patterns when the prequels came out. how do you think we got the often used "matrix coat" pattern? my mom used to make me halloween costumes in the 80s and there were always "care bears" and other popular things in the costume section of the pattern books.
>>
File: il_570xN.870307681_qcdp.jpg (92KB, 570x897px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.870307681_qcdp.jpg
92KB, 570x897px
>>9110012
I actually just bought it the other day... And... It's the epitome of mediocre IMO. Like, for 1.99 it's not too terrible, but you're going to be doing a lot of modifications to make it fit and at that point I feel like just using one of the Kwiksew dance patterns would just save you a lot of hassle.

I haven't used it before, but the 3029 looks like it would be much better IMO
>>
>>9107596
Since I just recently hit over 100 patterns, I've actually started keeping them in binders! I'm not completely finished organizing them, let alone even finish getting them all ready, but I'm so excited to have them all easy to see and get to, and to not have to fold and smoosh them to smitherines in order to fit lots of big pieces into an envelope.
>>
File: comicon pattern.jpg (24KB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
comicon pattern.jpg
24KB, 497x280px
Was flipping through the Simplicity book during the last sale and noticed they have a collection of about a dozen patterns now that are rebranded versions of old patterns only with "nerd" fabric being used. At least they admit it on the packaging and not trying to pretend it's something brand new.
>>
File: 1016546.png (1008KB, 566x768px) Image search: [Google]
1016546.png
1008KB, 566x768px
>>9110133

Same. All the big properties had patterns. LOTR, Star Wars, Titanic, Harry Potter, Sailor Moon, Rainbow Brite...

This is just the first time a generation of new sewers have looked.
>>
File: M7455_a.jpg (340KB, 1600x2200px) Image search: [Google]
M7455_a.jpg
340KB, 1600x2200px
>>9112834
There's significantly more than there used to be though including the separate COSPLAY pattern books. Ten years ago we would never seen anything like the Yaya collaboration or skanky Star Wars stuff. At most there would maybe be Disney princess skater costumes.

Also why they hell did this come out without a sailor collar?
>>
>>9113278
I want to know how she made the skirt ruffles like that, that they curve outwards but have a sharp fold in between rather than an inward curve.
>>
>>9116084
Just a combination of pressing the pleats and hemming with horsehair.
>>
>>9116084
If you look at the picture you can see a bit of the inside of her skirt. Each pleat is a supported by an individual piece of horsehair braid that are all stitched together at the folds.
>>
>>9116097
>>9116099
Thank you! I knew it was horsehair braid but I've never seen a skirt hemmed with horsehair braid ruffling like that. I'll have to try that.
>>
File: 07-150.jpg (44KB, 712x375px) Image search: [Google]
07-150.jpg
44KB, 712x375px
>>9113278
Probably just to avoid getting sued. There are a million free sailor collar patterns online. It isn't even that hard to draft one out yourself.

It looks like a decent pattern. The waist looks a little too low for my tastes.
>>
>>9116126
It comes in widths up to several inches; wider will get you more support and a more dramatic effect. It looks like she used 1" width for this, and that's coupled with a lightweight satin fabric.
>>
File: aljibdsfbidp9uwge.jpg (80KB, 556x800px) Image search: [Google]
aljibdsfbidp9uwge.jpg
80KB, 556x800px
>>9113278
That looks so much nicer than the simplicity pattern I have.
>>
>>9107870
From the thumbnail, it especially looked like this and maaan was I confused until I made the image larger. Then I became more confused, somehow.
>>
>>9116257
I have a super long torso so I appreciate it desu
>>
Are there any patterns you would be interested in seeing a company make?
>>
File: 523980_1.jpg (181KB, 2696x1100px) Image search: [Google]
523980_1.jpg
181KB, 2696x1100px
>>9107596
At my university theater department they have a shitload of patterns collected over the years and a neat organization method. They photocopy the cover of the pattern and put that paper copy in a binder. Then they store the patterns in a filing cabinet with manilla folders labeled by the pattern number across all brands so McCalls 999 is next to Simplicity 1000. So it's kinda like flipping through the pattern books at the fabric store.
>>
>>9116936
Holy shit that's brilliant. Def doing that with my pile of patterns strewn about.

>>9106438
>>9106444
>>9106446
These patterns are online-only, so they never go on sale, right?
>>
>>9116936
I worked for a costume shop that did this. It's not as good of an idea as it sounds because if you pull more than one pattern you have no idea which is which. Also, a lot of times the pattern measurements are on the back of the envelope and if you dont have the binder it's really hard to figure out what size to cut.
I'm pretty meh, about the system.

I simply fold up my patterns as best I can and iron them flat. I like to keep them in a drawer organized by costume, shirts, skirts, misc. In the original envelope.
>>
>>9118237
The patterns stay in the envelopes they came in and then whole thing is inserted in the manilla folders. The original envelope is not discarded. We weren't allowed to cut the patterns either because sizing had to be preserved so folding everything back up again wasn't too hard.
>>
>>9118283
Oh I see! That's a much better idea. The place I worked didn't photocopy the envelope, just slid it into a plastic sleeve and the pattern pieces into the envelope. Your way is much better!
>>
>>9118210
Yeah, they are online only but idk, maybe they might have them on sale one day?
>>
Does anyone know when the next pattern sale at Joanns is? I didn't see anything in the weekly flyer.
>>
>>9119286
Butterick and KwikSew is right now. There's almost always a pattern sale listed in the flyer it's just really small
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.