[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Petticoats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 8

File: pan060-1.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pan060-1.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
I got my first petticoat, but it was too long/big. About how long should petticoats usually be for Lolita dresses?

Also, where do you typically get your petticoats? Any suggestions? Any opinions on Bodyline petticoats?
>>
I really love my Black Ribbon one, it's a really great switch from my Classical Puppets, which is falling apart. The poof is great ans it's really soft.
>>
Malco modes.
Thier customer service has me fucking hooked. Just gotta get another fix man. Waitin for dem cupcake pettis.
>>
i was thinking of getting one from melikestea but her waiting list is long as fuck
>>
>>9044871
I'd love to get one but their shipping to Europe is crazy dear($100~). I'd love it if there was an alternate shipping option or something. I'm tempted to use a forwarder like shipito or something
>>
The main petti I use is an older Classical Puppets bell that I got secondhand. For casual wear I often layer a chiffon and nylon petti together to get some medium poof.
I've been thinking about getting an A-line one and am considering Malco Modes, but I'm wondering if there are some other more economical options/ taobao recs/ etc?
>>
>>9044871
Any particular one you from them that you prefer?
>>
>>9044883
582 Jennifer
I got the one that is between epic/ridiculous poof and perfect poof first and realized none of my dresses could handle that.
>>
>>9044866
Cut the top layer off an inch under the waistband. Then cut another strip a few inches wide under that. Discard the strip and sew the petticoat back to the waistband. Problem solved. If it's still too big, remove a layer
>>
>>9044897
Forgot to say, also, if the waistband is too big, just sew a vertical seam in it. Just pinch and sew. This is super fucking easy lol it's much better to have a petti that is too big than too small
>>
Does anyone know anything about Clobba? It looks like they sell Classical Puppet pettis and they don't require a shopping service.
>>
How do I go about choosing the color of a petticoat? Do I go for white or something that will match my dresses?
>>
>>9044909
Clobba is a shopping service, sorta. They resell things from Taobao.
>inb4 stop spoonfeeding the newfag!!1!
>>
>>9044909
Clobba is a taobao reseller. He marks up the items of stuff you could order on taobao.
Just note, you'd be getting a new CP petti, not one of the older ones.
>>
>>9044910
Go with white, especially if you're going to wear multiple styles. Some dresses are thin, and if your petticoat isn't white or the color of the dress, then it may show from underneath.
>>
>>9044910
White is a good starter one. Most dresses will be fine with a white petti.

I started with white and then got other colors when I felt like it. I got a black one for a mostly black coord so that just in case the petti peaked out at somepoint it wouldn't ruin the kuro vibe.

Other than that, it's really up to you. If you want to get colors to match certain coords, it's your prerogative. Almost no one will see them. It's like bloomers. Yeah it's cool if they match, but it won't be visible.
>>
>>9044910
The idea is that it's not supposed to be seen, so if you have only pastels, don't get a black petti.
>>
>>9044917
Are the new ones not as good?
>>
>>9044970
Nope, they lose floof and fall apart nowadays.

One poor girl had a single sheet of material after it was done unraveling itself.
>>
>>9044973
>tfw I just ordered a CP petti from taobao
I should have just used a forwarder and gotten a MM petti
>>
File: 1458336224611.jpg (58KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458336224611.jpg
58KB, 480x640px
>>9044976
I'll say it only once anon, always do your homework. It's been a good year or so since they were of stellar make.
Also, you say you need a forwarder? If you're international and there isn't a standard option, I'm pretty sure you can just email them and ask to set up an order. Don't quote me on that, but I really wouldn't be surprised.
Poofy petti pics make my life.
>>
>>9045001
Not that anon, but shipping from MM to Europe is ridicously pricy. It's cheaper through a forwarder
>>
>>9045001
Oh they'll ship to my country but the shipping is like $100~ so if I order from them I'll be hit with customs + duty on top of it(meaning the petti could end up costing $200 ish in total), since it's not in the EU. If I use a forwarder then I can get them to send via a cheaper method(still won't be saving a huge amount but it will bring me under the threshold for being charged duty). The only option MM seem to offer is International Priority.
>>
>>9045012
>>9045004
Ouch, that's rough gulls, I feel for you, I really do.
>>
File: victoriangirldressstore.jpg (91KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
victoriangirldressstore.jpg
91KB, 1000x1000px
>>9045029
Here's a Chinese ebay seller that has been raved about in the past. I haven't looked into them closely recently, so find some reviews to confirm they haven't dropped in quality.
Sizes are 'for kids' but the XL-XXL sizes are generous.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/victoriangirldress
>>
Maybe a silly question, but is there a way to partially deflate a petti? Just bought a fairly cheapo one for cosplaying. I've got a shelve-y butt, so it looks alright from the front but the back looks like I'm wearing one of those Victorian butt pillow things, really too exaggerated. Could I tack it down?
>>
>>9045040
Didn't they go out of business? Haven't been selling anything for a year or so
>>
>>9045040
>>9045091

Yeah, their ebay shop has nothing for sale in it.
>>
>>9044866
There's no magic length, they should be 2-4" less than the length of your skirt though. So depends on how long the dress is.

>>9044880
Honestly any square dancing brand is fine, not just Malco Modes. My first megapoof A-line was an offbrand square dancing one that someone was selling second hand, and I only gave it up because I started wearing more gothic and sweet rather than classic, and the petticoat was slightly too long for most of my dresses.

>>9044910
See what colours you mostly wear. If your whole wardrobe is black and dark colours - black petti. If it's light and pastel colours - white or pastel coloured. Honestly though it doesn't matter unless you have a lot of unlined or thinner dresses that it could show through.

>>9045081
Does it have an elastic waistband? If so, you can kinda move the poof around so that there's more at the front....
>>
>>9044909
How is it possible to be this fucking inept at doing your own research
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 263x144px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 263x144px
>>9045113
Pic related
>>
>>9044879
where do you buy pettis as a fellow european?
>>
>>9045218
Well I had a few Victorian girl dress pettis but they don't sell them anymore. I've now ordered a cp petti on taobao but they are supposed to be not great. You could also try melikestea or use a USA forwarder for Malco modes. Outside of that I have no idea
>>
can you post any good tutorial for making one?
>>
>>9045218
Lolitabutiken, basiclove.
>>
>>9045111
I could try moving it, I suppose. Thanks!
>>
Does anyone know a good petti for old school coords? I know theres not suppose to be a huge amount of poof and I think my malco modes petti would be too poofy for the look.
>>
How much do you think is too much for a good petticoat? I'm still pretty new to lolita and I'm trying to sniff around for a 90-ish cm petti. So far, I've managed to stumble across a shop called missbrache on etsy and their pettis are like 180+ usd. Is that too steep?
>>
>>9045329
I would personally say thats far too much, malco modes makes great petti coats and theyre most expensive is like 70 or 80 bucks.

Unless that petti is made out of silver and gold or something I can not see why it is priced so high.
>>
>>9045329
Malcos are 40-70
I'd say run down more options before buying from them.
40 is a good start.
>>
>>9045330
Hand spun with love and angora rabbit fur.
>>
>>9045330
>>9045332
Thanks guys! Definitely gonna keep looking around. I really appreciate your help.
>>
>>9045249
>basiclove.
Doesn't seem to come up in google search, are they closed?
>>
>>9045234
I've heard a lot of positive experience with melikestea as they seem to have a very long lasting poof, but might have a long waiting queue since their products are highly demanded. How long do I need to wait to be able to place my order?
>>
I'm curious - whats the most poof you've gotten out of a petti, anons?
>>
I recently bought a skirt that I just realized will be too short for my current petticoats. Does rolling up the waistband work or should I just invest in a shorter petti?
>>
I made my own petti from organza. It's nice because you can customize the poof quantity and it lasts longer than tulle but the cost is about the same as just buying one. It was easy to make but i definitely felt like I needed my serger because organza frays so badly.
>>
>>9045749
Rolling it can work, but you might need to safety pin it so that it stays rolled. Wait for your skirt to come in and try it. The rolling may create too much bulk at the waist though.
>>
>>9045755
Did you do a 3 thread or 4 thread overlock?
>>
>>9044871
Which ones are cupcake pettis? The Jennifer looks more like an A line.
>>
>>9045818
They're making them anon. Not available yet.
>>
>>9045834
Damn. Any other places you'd recommend for cupcake pettis?
>>
>>9045766
It's a 4 thread but I don't see why 3 wouldn't work.
>>
>>9045040
>>9045091
>>9045092
Oh god, that's tragic. The first petti I purchased was from them nearly three years old now and it's starting to get deflated, and I wanted to get a second one soon. I can't believe they're not selling anything anymore!
>>
>>9045411
Argh, they may well have. Last time I bought from them was 2014.

>>9045325
I used to use layered bodyline petticoats for some of my old school since it's shorter and not so poofy. I think it was pan062? I got sick of layering though and have a skirt from Sexy Dynamite London that doubles as a low poof petti.
>>
Non-lolita here.
I'm looking to cosplay Sakura and want a ridiculously poofy petticoat.
I don't need it to be incredibly high quality brando tier but I do want something that is almost grossly fluffy and, hopefully, doesn't require me to use a shipping service to purchase.
>>
>>9046363
If you're going for an accurately full skirt you'll need to reinforce the skirt hem (horsehair braid I've seen used) to hold its shape, a petti alone won't do the job
>>
>>9046389
Yeah, I plan to use horsehair for the skirt and maybe make a small hoop skirt if need be. I want it go be as magical girl as I can make it.
>>
>>9046363
malco modes has like, an extreme puffy petti that might help you out too
>>
>>9046363
Go for layered petticoats,possibly a shorter 80 to 100 yard square dance petti with a pancake tutu over it if you can find one that's not ridiculously expensive. You can make pancake tutus as well but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up the skirt without petticoats underneath to layer.
>>
I recently got a long IW dress and I'm wondering where I could get a longer length petti that still has a bell (or just... rounded kind of) shape to it?
The longer pettis I see are typically A-line, so I'm also thinking if layering a thin bell over a long A-line would would too.
>>
>>9048365
A short (like 30cm party city petti) A line over a long A line (you may need to experiment depending on the petticoat and the fabric of your dress) will work to give a bell shape, basically the difference is that a bell petti is fuller at the top compared to an A line so the hack is to increase the fullness of the petti at the top.
>>
>>9045818
They're all A-line, and they run from "extremely short" to "obscenely long"
I'm sick of the Malco Modes hype. They're not made for Lolita and they shouldn't be used as such. It's bad advice and shouldn't be propagated anymore. Stick to Classical Puppets.
>>
>>9048831
Is it possible to go the other way around, that is bell shaped to A-line? I have medium poof classical puppets bell shaped petti and would like to use it for A-line dresses until I get my funds in order
>>
>>9048836
>stick to petticoats that fall apart
No thanks.
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for a good long petticoat? I have been improvising with just using a slightly long petticoat and wearing it on my hips but that is annoying.

I know MM has the longer Samantha 835 and the Cosette 8080 but I'm not sure what would be better.
For reference I mostly wear IW and Moitie long dresses
>>
>>9048836
They make petticoats for A-line dresses, which many lolita dresses are. It's silly to think an A-line made for a lolita brand will be better than one made by a non-lolita brand. And saying they are all the wrong length is incorrect, my Malco Modes 582 petti is the perfect length for all of my A-line dresses. If it's too long, you can always roll up the waistband. Out of curiosity, are you speaking from a bad experience with MM?
>>
>>9048839
No. You can't physically take out the extra poof at the top of a bell! You can wear it super super low on your hips so that the poof starts lower, but if it's quite a poofy petti it will still look weird.
>>
>>9048836
you know they are making a cupcake petti for lolita's right? And it has been discussed thoroughly that classical puppets has gone down in quality so much that they are not even worth mentioning except to say "don't buy a petti from classical puppets"
>>
>>9044871
I actually found an amazing Malco Modes one in a thrift store by complete accident as I was shopping for toy trucks. They wanted 40 dollars for it. I thought that was ridiculous for a thrift store, so I took off the tag, and put it under a skirt for 6.99 with similar ivory tones, and it looked like they were the same item. Woo.
>>
>>9049702
>I took off the tag, and put it under a skirt for 6.99 with similar ivory tones, and it looked like they were the same item. Woo.
I don't know whether to be disgusted or impressed
>>
>>9049702
>>9049783
genius.

If it's something like savers/goodwill/salvation army then no one gives a shit. an independently owned vintage boutique, questionable, but still a come up.
>>
>>9048836
Your opinion is shit
>>
>>9049783
I might be a terrible person, but I worked there once and I was mistreated. Karma.

>>9049783
Essentially like Goodwill. In Canada, we've got one called Value Village.
>>
What magical did he use to poof achieve perfection? (Designer Daddy on IG)
>>
>>9051104
I'm going to guess hoop skirt.
>>
Was there any reviews of Pan078 from bodyline besides the low quality youtube video?
I read a post or two about how theyre better than new CP pettis or just pretty good in general but i havent seen worn pics or any comparisons.
>>
>>9052457
seconding this
>>
>>9052457
I'd love to see a decent review
>>
Where's the best place to get a cupcake petti that isn't MeLikesTea or CP?
>>
Does anyone have that gulls petti comparison with explanation. i saw it on egl but it didnt offer which photo was which.

Even better if anyone has the newer CP, ergie by piratsan and the closet child one or different/more brand under the same dress..
>>
>>9052588
Bunny House.
>>
>>9052620
They just stopped taking orders on the 2nd. They didn't say when they'd be back, but from their wording I'm assuming they will come back eventually.
>>
>>9045755
nylon chiffon is a good option that does not fray but it's sort of hell finding a decent source for.
>>
Recs for a short (for cosplay idol costumes) and really puffy petti?
>>
What's a good way to breathe some life back into an older petti? It's A-line and I store it upside down but it hasn't been used in a good while and I'm going to need to use it soon.
>>
>>9056208
start by storing it scrunched up, hanging deflates them a lot. starch it if you really need some floof
>>
Has anyone ever made/bought a cotton petticoat? I'm thinking of making one for summer, but I can't find very many examples of it being done for lolita. Not sure if I can make it tiered like a regular petti or if I'll have to structure it differently...
>>
>>9056382

>>9056382

I sewed a mini built-in petti into one of my home-sewn dresses, similar to AP's built-in petti, except AP was hard tulle and mine was soft polycotton. Also attempted it for a mini-sized doll when I first started sewing doll clothes. Sadly no photos -- the dress started going grey so I donated it, the doll petti doesn't fit under the dress so I scrapped it.

Cotton drapes really well, so basically one layer is not going to give a lot of poof. For the built-in dress petti, I put about 10 metres (one layer) into my dress, and it still only looked like a soft, daily lolita type petti. You can try starching it, if it's stiff then I think it'd give you more poof. I should also warn you, sewing 10 metres of fabric to 1.5-2m was a total pain in the butt, definitely try to avoid that.

The doll petti went the other way. For some reason I thought going exponential would work, so I started with 2 layers in the top tier, 4 layers and double length in the 2nd tier, 3rd (last) tier should have been 8 layers (!!!) and 4 times length. I couldn't even finish sewing, the thing became a ruffle urchin when I got 4 layers into the 8 so I gave up.

So layers of ruffles will give you the poof you're looking for, but of course all those layers will trap a lot more heat and humidity. Single tier could be doable if you don't mind starching pettis.

One of the taobao brands had a cotton petticoat at some point, but it's a really long time ago. iirc it was marketed as a winter petticoat, but this was the era of hard tulle pettis, so I guess the comparison was cotton layers vs one hard tulle layer and not cotton vs organdy.
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a minimal poof/lightweight A-line petticoat that would be good for a more casual look and keeping cool?
>>
When I bought my petti, I got a cute pastel aqua colored one from Victoriangirldress. At the time my reasoning was that "nobody will see it, so I might as well get it in my favorite color!" And I really like pastel petticoats with sweet. But I regret it, because I am into exclusively old school now, and want something white because even though it shouldn't be seen by other people, it bothers me a bit to know it doesn't fit the older aesthetic. If for some reason I would accidently flash my petti I want it to match everything else. Or if I want to take one of those artsy-fartsy photos that show off the petti (I know that's frowned upon but to be honest I think it's cute when it's obviously not done in a trashy way).

I'm not in a position to get a new petti now though, so I'm trying not to let the regret get to me. Whenever I do get a new one, I want it to be white and I'm thinking maybe a daily/casual level poof. I love gigantic poof but lately I've found it to be too much of a pain for me to wear and prefer a more subtle poof.
>>
>>9057596
Hang onto the large poof petti when you get more though. If you're into old school and start picking up velvet dresses casual-level poof can't hold up.
>>
>>9057607
I love velvet to pieces but the texture bothers me so I probably won't have to worry about that, but I was planning on keeping my old petti even when I get a new one for that reason! That and if for some reason I feel like wearing bigger poof suddenly.
>>
>>9056382
Ruffles on a base, like a bustle skirt, works better than tiers. Starching cotton pettis is also awesome but can get tedious and messy
>>
>>9057596
I feel you so hard on this. I stupidly bought two AP pettis in purple and pink when i couldnt help myself with spending money. Shortly after i realized browns, navy and wines suited me a ton better. Im more classic and religious goth prints but all my pettis are pastel. fortunately or not im forced to buy a new one or two due to forgetting mine while studying away from home despite bringing 6 dresses.
As for poof, im trying to get into bigger poof because all my other pettis are too subtle and my comm seems to be making bigger events and getting some recognition.
Leg avenue and my AP organza pettis are about the same poof alone but AP is way softer and more comfortable imo plus the bit of lining. I dont have experience in other pettis unfortunately
>>
I'm on the waiting list for a melikestea petti but in the meantime I have bought two from japanese indie brands that have already arrived
>>
>>9060104
Reviews please?
>>
>>9060104
Are you the anon who posted in the mail thread? If so, please do a review of the indie pettis! They looked really nice!
>>
>>9045411
yes basiclove also went out of business

>>9045838
bunny house

>>9046363
have you considered a hoopskirt

PSA that if you have been sitting on MLT's waitlist for a few months already, you should go check the prices again - she quite recently silently hiked them, which is incredibly disappointing on her part (I'm not dissing her for making them more expensive, it's the part where she made 0 mention of it that bothers me)
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.