[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to color steel like this? Working on a nazgul

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: steelzy.jpg (352KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
steelzy.jpg
352KB, 1066x800px
Is there a way to color steel like this?
Working on a nazgul cosplay, and caught between buying these and making my own out of sheet steel:
http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Steel-Riveted-Gauntlets-Hand/dp/B00FI1EY8K/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1465258837&sr=1-1&keywords=steel+gauntlets
(Will probably end up doing both) and I'll have to do it either way.

PS. I'm aware the gauntlets I linked don't have a glove attached yet
PPS. If anyone knows where I can get a decent cloak, share to save a life
>>
>>9023877
>>
>>9042759
hey matt
>>
>>9042759
If you just leave shiny steel out where everyone can touch it and spread their skin oils all over it; it will oxidize to a dark steel color naturally.

You can also do what the Japanese did and mix piss with sawdust and throw your steel in there.
>>
For that look, I'd paint it black and then go over it with a buffing wheel, and then sponge or drybrush the rust-colored accents.

Adam Savage has some good videos on metal props and costume stuff on the Tested YT channel.
>>
>>9042759
I'm not sure how much experience you have with metalwork, but steel isn't a very friendly material for babbys first cosplay. If you've never made metal armor before, prepare for a lot of trial and error, and do a ton of research beforehand.

The cheapest way is paint, but it can scratch off easily and you lose your metal finish a lot of times. You can use a patina to color it, it can give a very distinct finish and I'm not sure if that's what you're going for. If you're okay with spending some money, you can take it to a shop to either be powder coated or electroplated, or anodized if its aluminum.
>>
>>9042759
set in on fire and dip it in oil

amateur blacksmith here
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.