[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think cosplay will still be a thing in 10 years? 20?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1464740282522.jpg (363KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1464740282522.jpg
363KB, 960x1280px
Do you think cosplay will still be a thing in 10 years?
20?
>>
Considering there's more models getting into cosplaying, yes.
>>
>>9034135
Over time it slides into normalcy. It's more socially accepted than 20 years ago, and in 20 years it'll be even more so. So, I think so.
>>
>>9034135
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>9034135
It's already been a thing for like 40+ years
>>
>>9034135
the very phrase "Cosplay" has been around for 32 years, and there is actually industry revolving around it.
the 501st alone is thousands, possibly up to the hundreds of thousands.
Japan has a massive industry revolving around it, including television media being involved.

So unless we hit WWIII so hard that we literally get no new games, anime, or movies for a decade, I don't see it going away in our lifetimes.
>>
>>9034135
I think it'll still be a thing in 20 years, but the context in which it's done will be different. So instead of being mainly a convention thing it might b;'**;;.ohhhh,, Bicolash!!!!!!!! Micol.....sh...he's finally here!!!!!!! yeshhhh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :DDDD*'ther cosplayers.
>>
>>9034894
you alright there anon?
>>
It may change a lot in the future, but it will be around in some way.
Cosplay is technically illegal, so companies could start suing cosplayers to get it to stop. Or require people to pay license to cosplay their characters.

Or the cosplay celebrities could become more and more mainstream, attaching more and more stigma to the non-perfect cosplayers. Cosplay will only be for the few who are skilled enough or rich enough and attractive enough to be perfect, everyone else will be looked down at as weirdos that deserve to be bullied if they try to cosplay.

Or it could remain as it is today, but become even more normie infested, completely destroying the safe space the cosplay community is, where they will bring in all their shitty and close minded normie attitudes
>>
>>9035097
>Cosplay is technically illegal
It's a complicated issue. http://antiquity-dreams.deviantart.com/journal/Is-Cosplay-Copyright-Infringement-227340629
>>
>>9035097
A lot of cosplay isn't illegal. Fashion design isn't subject to copyright.
>>
>>9035097
>Or the cosplay celebrities could become more and more mainstream, attaching more and more stigma to the non-perfect cosplayers. Cosplay will only be for the few who are skilled enough or rich enough and attractive enough to be perfect, everyone else will be looked down at as weirdos that deserve to be bullied if they try to cosplay.

No. There are actors and musicians out there that still work/preform even if the dont hit the big times. Why would cosplay be any different?
>>
>>9035107
This it's only illegal if you're making a lot of money from it and even if you sell prints you aren't nearly as bad as a Chinese companies mass producing costumes
>>
>>9034894
what
>>
>>9034894
deep breaths, anon
>>
>>9035097
>the safe space the cosplay community is
are you sure you're thinking of the right community there anon?
>>
>>9035097
>cosplay is technically illegal
Good luck proving damages.
>>
>>9035097
Big companies are going to have to suck it up. Undertale and Homestuck has/had issues with "bootleg" merchandise and cosplay items (Homestuck moreso) but it still happened. Imagine trying to control that on a bigger scale. Bootleg cosplay from China exists and honestly, people are also making professions by costume making. At some point, companies are going to have to start producing their own 'official' costumes more and start getting ripped for having really shitty quality imo. More resources as people realize that cosplayers are a bigger thing will also happen.

I think my biggest fear is how more business-like conventions will become due to the higher draws of people.
>>
Why would it stop now?
>>
>>9035097
>>9035154
Yeah wouldn't cosplay be seen more of as free marketing for a company?
>>
File: 1377902965748.jpg (8KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
1377902965748.jpg
8KB, 222x227px
>>9034894
>>
>>9034135
I was thinking the same 10 years ago, and look where we are!
>>
>>9034135
People have been dressing up as their favorite characters for over 100 years. Pic related is a man dressed as the popular comic book character Skygack winning a costume contest at a masquerade in 1912. The first convention in history, the 1930 Worldcon, included a costume contest too. The idea of dressing up as a fictional character at a large gathering of fans isn't going anywhere.

The word 'cosplay' was only invented in 1984 though. It's possible that in the future we'll call it something else.
>>
>>9034135cute cute CUTE!
>>
>>9035097
HAHAHA that's a lie.
Cosplay is fair use copyright wise, and trademark wise does not attempt to represent the company.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 482x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 482x395px
>>9034894

Anon you ok?...
>>
>>9034135
What kind of question is this? Of course. As long as there are fictional characters, there will be people obsessive and nerdy enough to pour money into dressing up as them.
>>
File: 1464981556136.gif (44KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
1464981556136.gif
44KB, 444x444px
>>9035097
>completely destroying the safe space the cosplay community is
safe to fucking who?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.