[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay regret

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 23

File: 1463119063211.jpg (23KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1463119063211.jpg
23KB, 500x282px
Mfw my friends always wonder why I never let anyone help me with cosplay and when we do a group and we agreed to make stuff for each other and I make all of their stuff and we get to the con and I learn they didn't make any of my shit only each others. Feels bad.

Any stories of you being fucked over for cosplay or regret a decision you made regarding it?
>>
>>9028550
People in this hobby fucking suck sometimes

I made a cosplay group with a bunch of friends and we filled in all the roles and it was going to be an awesome time. That day comes, 2 come in another outfit and then say to me that they're getting the actual outfit from someone else but that person is busy and cant give it to them, mfw a few days later I realize they never even intended to wear the group outfit to con

Oh and one other person in the group didn't even hang out with us for more than 30 mins because their other high maintenance ass friend never let them
>>
Friends did this to me, then as I'm working on the stuff they didn't make for me, they tried to tell me how they did theirs, which was with hot glue.
I was like nope, I'll take my time making this look good...
>>
>>9028550
Have a college friend tell me about her cosplay group from her hometown. The self appointed leader was rich, and bought her cosplay. So while everyone else was working on their outfits, she'd yell at them like why aren't you done? We have to practice the dance! (They were doing love live)

The only person the leader was cool with was my friend since "oh you've been busy in school in America, it's ok."
They pretty much silently kicked her out the group.
>>
My biggest regret Is not wearing a wig for my first cosplay back in 2012. Not only did I look like shit, but I acted/was one of those weeb shitlords you see in cringe comps.

I still hate myself.
>>
>Be me aged 14
>Be dared by my sister to join a cosplay comp at the biggest convention in the country
>Accepted
>Has never really bothered watching cosplay competition before and does not know how the fuck they work
>Gets called up first
>Nervous as fuck
>Almost faints
>Goes onto the stage too late
>Is given the microphone
>WhatdoIdowiththis.jpeg
>Rambles out of character on stage
>Stares blankly onto the audience
>Ifyoustareintotheabysslongenoughtheabyssstaresbackatyou.png
>Wishes I would have fainted before I went on stage
>Shamefully walks off stage

Worst of all, I became quasi known in the cosplay community of my country as this character.
I can never wear this costume again.
>>
My attention whore of a friend convinced me to cosplay Welcome to Night Vale with her and I ended up making my whole damn Cecil cosplay for her sake, all while she sort of creepily flirted with me as Carlos. The day before the WtNV meetup she really wanted to attend I find out that she's going to a Disney meetup at the same time and naively I thought that she wouldn't abandon me.

She abandoned me, I went to the meet on my own and she didn't apologise or even talk to me again. So fuck that. Though the meet itself was surprisingly fun.
>>
i had a friend who i'd attended cons with for about 3 years. she would become jealous whenever people would ask for my photo and not hers.
the last year i hung out with her was when she got so buttmad she started to photobomb any picture someone would take of me. i only realised this because a photog told her off. i cut her off after that. would've done it earlier if she wasn't the only cosplay friend i had at the time.
>>
>>9028848
What the hell? Fuck her.
>>
When you lend people your shit and they never give it back. I'm so pissed about it.

Plus she got mad when she was late to the rendez-vous point. By like 2 hours.
>>
I regret not finishing my first big cosplay in time for the con. I wanted to get it right so I did lots of research and started construction early. My progress was good and I was feeling confident enough to wear it to the con and maybe enter the cosplay comp, but I promised myself that I’d only do it if my final work was decent. But in the end I was too hard on myself and I didn’t think I was up to scratch. Con time came around and I realized pretty quickly that being an anal perfectionist stopped me from having a lot of fun.
>>
well, i regret letting myself get pushed around by Ao (back when she was active; dont know if she still is) and letting her petty quips get to me. because of that, i became even less confident in myself and didn't cosplay the shit i wanted to at the time. oh well. :T
>>
>>9028550
> Six friends told me that they were all going to be various Star Wars characters and that we were all going to be together at a convention
> Left me to be the only one
>>
>>9028812
You... You poor thing. I'm so sorry. How did your sister react? She must have at least seen or heard what had happened...
>>
I constantly let my perfectionism get in the way of actually finishing/wearing anything, and then when I get to the con and have no costume, I feel like I'm missing out.
>>
>>9029866
>>9030784
I'm very, very guilty of this. I dunno if it's because I've been on cgl so long that it's made me a perfectionist or if it's just a part of my personality, but I would become so stressed over getting cosplays exactly how I wanted that sometimes I wouldn't even finish them. I was so hard on myself even though my skill level isn't that high. It didn't motivate me to improve really, either, just cause a lot of meltdowns.
>>
>>9030163
Same.
>super shy and feel uncomfortable with attention from strangers
>friends invite me to cosplay with them to upcoming event
>"It'll be fine, anon! We'll be in a group, so you can always hide behind one of us!"
>show up at event in costume
>friends are already there, all in regular clothes
>all have excuses that are pretty much "lol I couldn't bother to finish it on time so I didn't"
>only one in costume
>only one people keep wanting to take photos of
>end up having panic attack and going home early
>friends later call me a party pooper on Facebook
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 234x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 234x280px
Not nearly as bad as some of the stories here.
>get done watching one of my favorite animes.
>buys a cosplay, thinking I'll finish it in time.
>cosplay comes. Only some of its good, the rest needs to redone/fixed up.
>i don't fix it or get the wig in time. Immediately lose all motivation for said costume.
>I don't think I'll ever wear it.
>I need to sell it because money is getting tight.
>feeling mad guilty for some reason?? Like I'm disrespecting my waifu?
>now if I get an idea for a cosplay i let it simmer just to make sure I want to do it before I spend money.
>>
I recall working on a very detailed costume last minute and stayed up all night and half the day of the con in my hotel trying to get it done by hand in panic. It looked like complete shit and was falling apart the entire day but I wore it anyway. I let my perfectionist side get in the way yet wanted to just be happy for once & put my mind to rest after dealing with some IRL problems, but it backfired regardless. This was a few years ago and not done that since and things have improved. Never again. Being so hard on myself is difficult to escape however.
>>
File: WhydidIdoit.png (23KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
WhydidIdoit.png
23KB, 489x423px
>>9030765
Thanks for caring, anon. My sister still reminds me about how much I fucked up, and how bad I was.
Not surprisingly, I have not dared to get on a stage since that day.

Bonus: After the first part of the competition, the people who did not go through to the next round was offered a consultant with the judges, one of which was Calssara, who I really wanted to talk to earlier that convention. She gave me the ugliest stink eye you can imagine when I was on my way out (I had to go to an interview). That was kind of the water to the burnt area.
>>
>>9028812
Oh my god this reminds me of my own version of a cosplay competition

>About 16 or so
>Friend and I join up on a whim. My first mistake.
>Shy and shit at acting, but it is one of those tiny high school type conventions, so whatever.
>Friend didn't do the speaking part of the script, that was my job.
>Start speaking.
>Has a quiet voice in the first place but it microphone should fix that
>It Doesn't
>mfw
>Hopes that I'm just imagining the fact it's not working
>Turns out the cosplay guy didn't turn on the microphone before giving it to me
>He gestures at me to turn it on
>Don't know shit about these microphones to turn it on seamlessly, so continue on while internally panicking
>Didn't know whether to stop completely, explain to audience and start over or not
>Already too full of embarrassment to go through it a second time so just finish the scene quickly.
>Audience has bored stares as I leave because in their view it's just a teenager that they couldn't hear the point of the script.

Never again. Thank god it was a tiny convention.
>>
>>9030926
I feel the same guilt when I don't finish a cosplay since I tend to want to be all my waifus.
>>
I wanted to get a group of friends to do a Love Live group with me but I ended up sewing six skirts and bow ties and styling six wigs. Thank god it was just the school uniforms, but I'm never making my semi-normie friends cosplay with me again. After I did that, they didn't even wear wig caps or falsies because it made their head hurt and eyes droopy and dry.

Pleated skirts and bow ties aren't even that hard to sew! I'm glad they paid for fabric and wigs and had their own skirts socks and shoes at least, even if some of them were ballet flats or converse sneakers...

It was fun at the con, but I can be really nitpicky and was mostly miffed that I had to do so much work when they could've tried even a little. I don't care if they messed up the skirt or cut their bangs weird, I think that's just part of the process of getting better at cosplay...
>>
Best friend wanted to do a last minute partner cosplay. I quickly decided to order my cosplay on Etsy two weeks before the con. Some parts could be better but it fits because it's custom so I say whatever. Literally wear it for three hours because it's too hot and I'm melting. Get no full body photos in it. Never wear it again because not that into the show anymore. Still torn about selling it because "what if I decide to wear it one day?". Tfw I pretty much wasted $150
>>
I regret not making more costumes before cosplay got super looks oriented.

I started cosplaying in 1998 and I did maybe one or two costumes a year and I was good at it. But I was in college and too lazy to do more. I graduated and didn't step up my game and before I knew it people cared so much less about construction & detailing by 2005 or so.
>>
>>9036024
This is why I don't cosplay with semi-normies. Weebs go all out, normies tend to be happy to be dressed up by someone who knows what they're doing, and semi-normies insist they know everything about cosplay because they follow JNig.
>>
>Be me age 15
>Does Kakashi Gaiden with Brother and Friend.
>Makes obito jacket and goggles for friend as well as my Rin costume
>Friend backs out a month before
>Other friend says they want to be Obito
>Go to cololssal con
>friend didn't bring any other part of the costume except an under shirt
>Gets mad at me for not getting the other parts from friend that backed out
>Loan friend pants, extra shoes and Headband
>Goes into bathroom to restyle Hinata wig for them
>Come out to see they left with my Rin costume
>Don't see them until the end of the weekend
>>
>>9028912
That is seriously the worst! Had that happen a bit when I first started going to cons.
>>
File: JitsuWa_DeadInside.png (173KB, 304x554px) Image search: [Google]
JitsuWa_DeadInside.png
173KB, 304x554px
>Have a small cosplay competition group
>We're okay and we have fun so I enjoy it despite usually being in charge
>Two college friends (a girlfriend and boyfriend) move nearby and want to join
>We were in the same competition group in college, they can sew well, and seem pretty responsible, so yeah, please join!
>Decide on a series to cosplay from, and despite me wanting to just do a walk-on (it was getting hard to schedule practices with everyone's schedules) we decide to do a skit
>No one that wanted to do the skit wants to actually figure out a skit, so I get saddled with writing it, finding music, and choreographing it (with some cleanup help from the others when I presented what I had)
>Oh, this skit's actually pretty good. Kinda funny too. I'm proud!
>Get going on costumes; I bust my ass on my costume and my husband's, two friends do a splendid job on theirs, friend who couldn't really sew teaches herself and seriously knocks it out of the park
>College friends lag behind with excuses at every practice
>We practice, modify costumes, con is getting close
>We need stage props but no one want to make them, so since it's "my skit" (I only wrote it because no one else would) I "get" to make all the props
>Feeling seriously drained, I've sort of become the group leader again and now everything is on my shoulders
>College girl takes me aside a couple weeks before the convention and asks how to make a very large prop that needs to be ATTACHED to her costume.
>WTF this should have been made FIRST
>Still, show her some tutorials, tell her the most important thing is that it needs to be VERY LIGHT.
>She shows up to judging with this prop made of WOOD, then takes up about 75% of our judging time (our group was like… 8 people?)
TBC
>>
File: Criminale_whatthehell.png (655KB, 396x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Criminale_whatthehell.png
655KB, 396x1255px
>>9038072
>On the way to dress rehearsal, her prop breaks off. She runs to the bathroom and cries
>I laugh. And laugh and laugh.
>I don't laugh to her face or in front of anyone else in my group of course, but WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN? Of course it broke off.
>Everyone looks to me to magically solve this since I'm the leader
>Aw man, seriously? I'm so passed caring at this point. I've done most of the work for this, I've given out good advice that was clearly ignored, I just don't care.
>But I find a solution, we drag her out of the bathroom, and eventually it's our turn to perform for real
>Our skit is real easy. A bit of talking, some extremely straight-forward fights, the end.
>I have choreographed this so during the fights punches and kicks are on the beat. The very obvious, very heavy beat. We practiced this a hundred times.
>Halfway through the skit I'm supposed to be beaten by my opponent (college boy), but the cues come and… he stands there. Another cue and… still standing. About fifteen seconds go by and he just stand there.
>He finally hits me on the last beat, and the skit goes on well enough, but what the hell was that?
>We get off stage and college girl excited runs up to us "GUYS WE WERE AH-MAY-ZING!!! This is what happens when we all work hard!"
>OH SCREW YOU, all you did was make a costume (that fell apart and I had to find a way to help you fix) and spin a couple times on stage. I did most of the goddamn work
>"Let's do ____ series for our skit next year!" Hahahaha, lol no, you guys are on your own
>I was so soured by the whole thing, I haven't competed since
I was really hoping she would compete the next year and see her fail miserably when I'm not holding her goddamn hand and leading her down the goddamn path I paved, but she didn't end up competing for a few years. But… next time she did compete (with pretty much a glorified walk-on) she ended up taking best in show, so no petty revenge for petty ol' me.
>>
File: 1200006920055.png (48KB, 248x193px) Image search: [Google]
1200006920055.png
48KB, 248x193px
>Wanted to please a friend who is a popular cosplayer
>She was looking for people to cosplay from a manga series with at a Fall con
>Yes friend I will cosplay with you yes yes
>Work hard to finish costume of cool but fairly unknown side character (he had only recently been introduced)
>Meet up at con, she didn't finish her costume so she brought a costume for a kinda-sorta related series
The best example I can give is if she wanted everyone to cosplay from Tales of the Abyss, but she brought a Tales of Vesperia costume instead. They're both "Tales of"games, but not actually related? It was kinda like that.
>Turns out every other person had also dropped out but didn't say anything until day of so it's just me and one other girl (also cosplaying a side character) cosplaying the intended series
>Popular cosplayer girl still takes center stage though because… she's… popular. Other girl and I are kinda shoved to the side as Popular gets all sorts of attention and photos.
>(My costume was pretty cool but there was room for improvement. Other girl's costume was spot on and impeccably made. I was upset at being sidelined, but I was madder than a hornet's nest that she was ignored)
About six months later, Popular has actually finished her costume so she asks me to bring mine to another con
>Most of the original group actually has their costumes together
> Oh j/k they're all sewing in the hotel room
>Popular has a anxiety attack over her costume because it's not done, have to help calm her down
>Group gets out on con floor hours after initially intended
>I still get sidelined because I'm not Popular
>mfw later they all complain that life is so hard when I'm one of the like two people in the group that doesn't live with their parents and has a job. Half the others aren't even in school or anything so how the blazes don't they get their shit done on time? What are they doing with their lives?

I regret trying to be buddies with such stressful slackers.
>>
>>9038089
That was sort of my last year doing skits. I already did most of the work, all the writing, audio, directing... but then everyone flaked out on me and now I have no one to do skits with.

It sucks, skits are my favorite aspect of cosplay. And as a whole, good skits are a rarity these days.
>>
>>9038072
>>9038089
I'm proud of you for not impaling them with their props. Congrats for doing all the fucking work, too.
>>
>>9028764
I'm sure that you made a lot of people happy, when they made one of those hilarious "look at this weeb dork" vids to laugh at you.
So don't be so hard. You made someone smile :)
>>
I hope we've all learned something today: Never trust anyone else to do any fucking work whatsoever or even show up.
>>
>>9036225
oh my god i hope all this glamour make up and styling passes soon. it looks good with some characters, but i prefer a more natural look, and it just gets weird and out of place with a lot of characters.

And then you have the people that take it further, and do creepy contouring makeup or use white eyeliner to make their eyes huge. I mean, yeah, it's cartoony, but its also just weird.

I think it's just the internet/social media aspect of it. there are still a lot of people out there doing awesome things with sewing or props, but they're much more low key unless they do a lot of tutorials.
>>
File: 1453971541929.jpg (9KB, 480x346px) Image search: [Google]
1453971541929.jpg
9KB, 480x346px
>Join a cosplay group
>We get our cosplays together, take a bunch of photos
>Get photos back
>I'm hideous
>Want to drop out and destroy all evidence of ever joining
I was so excited but it turns out I look like a goblin. I don't want to let everyone down but why didn't anyone ever tell me how ugly I am?
>>
>>9031286
So sorry about that. She's a bitch anyway so ignore her really
>>
>>9038308
I'm glad people understand that makeup is an important part of cosplay, but the creepy AOT contouring and other similarly awful fads have made me wonder if spotty barefaced teens aren't a better alternative.
>>
>>9038290
I know this
But I'm a gullible naive piece of trash who every single time thinks
"maybe this time! :D"

Even though there hasn't been a single time I haven't been let down.
>>
>cosplaying with friend group, 3 out of 5 are first time cosplayers
>in hotel room, start getting dressed early because my costume is a lot more complicated than anyone else's
>put on armsocks (with nails on them) before wig, regret
>stressing out because I can't use my hands well enough to put my wig on properly
>forgot I had to help another girl with her wig as well
>girl has butt-length hair, has never used a bobby pin in her life, and bought a tiny $10 wig off amazon
>awkwardly shove 500 bobby pins into her head and try to keep my cool
>by some miracle both our wigs stayed on the whole day
>>
>>9037921
So what happened to your costume?
>>
>be me, several weeks ago
>make a FB group for my cosplay friends with plans to rent a shared room at a backpacker's hostel bc it's close to the con
>have a group of about ten people
>all of them are indecisive as fuck and/or completely unresponsive
>two weeks until the con and I don't want to go to the city and rent a room/house by myself
>already planned out cosplay schedule
>already bought tickets for the three days
Put me out of my misery, seagulls.
>>
>>9038313
This is seriously how I feel about all of my cosplays. I love making them, I love sewing and all that and I usually feel great while wearing them but as soon as I see pictures of me in cosplay I just kinda want to cry. Which is why I put no effort whatsoever into trying to get pictures of any of my cosplays.

Maybe I should just go for masked characters in the future.
>>
>>9039794
Sorry wasn't clear.

She took and wore my costume the whole weekend leaving me with unfinished Obito. I get it back and it's all streched out and the apron piece is stained.

Her reasoning was that she did me a favor joining our group and I should have put more effort into her costume. Even though I told her the parts she needed to do herself. Jokes on her though without kakashi and Obito no one knew who she was.
>>
>>9040262
I hope they're not you're friend anymore because what a piece of shit.
>>
>>9040097
If someone shows up, you can share the cost. If none of them can get their shit together, you get a whole room to yourself and get to do as you please for 3 days while they stay home and twiddle their thumbs. Even if you don't find someone to share with, it sounds like you still get a pretty good deal out of it.
>>
>>9040097
Not sure how backpackers hostels work where you are, but in Europe you can just rent a bed in the shared dorm and if you are a girl worried about sharing with strangers they are almost always female only dorms. That way you don't have to worry about increased cost- it'll cost exactly the same as sharing with your friends, and if any of them do come you'll still be able to stay in the same place.
>>
File: 1388283031673.png (117KB, 262x255px) Image search: [Google]
1388283031673.png
117KB, 262x255px
>always tell friends, 'Lets decide months before the con what to cosplay so we'll have time to get the gear'
>make a choice of a group cosplay (won't say it because I know some of them browse /cgl/)
>alright alright lets hand out the roles and see who will be who
>given out and everyone agrees
>a few weeks before the con
>one guy didn't commission his stuff in time so has to go as a previous version he had
>other guy was gonna do that version but now he has to change because above guy is doing it
>other guy hasn't gotten his stuff yet and is mostly speed making it now

PAIN!

ALL I KNOW IS PAIN!
>>
God I have too many cringy cosplay fails

>be around 12~13
>first cosplay (Izaya) get a jacket and wig but just go for a random skirt for the bottom
>practice this dance I saw on youtube for around a month
>when I do go up on stage they don't play my music and I'm left with the mic
>panic af
>ask friend to lend me her phone
>I cringely proceed to place it on the floor and pretend to stomp on it
>it was a Nokia, so I proceed to make a shitty joke about that
>pick it up
>storm off stage

It was also super hot since the AC was busted, so I was sweating ten folds as much with that jacket
>>
>friend plans to do a massive group
>don't even like the show much but whatever it'll be fun
>two weeks until the con with another costume i actually want to do unfinished
>working hard making it anyway so i don't let everyone down
>messaging everyone with progress and asking how everyone's doing
>"yeah it's fine it'll be done"
>turns out only two of us had even started work
>not including the friend who wanted to do it in the first place
>nobody said anything
>other cosplay ends up mediocre as fuck because wasted all my time on the group one
>tfw

Yes, I should have done everything further in advance but I wasted a solid week on a costume I'm never going to wear and the rest of the group just sat and watched the two of us who worked on it stressing about finishing without saying anything.
>>
>>9040279
Sadly I was in a situation where I had to be friendly until after high school. But as soon as I graduated I completely cut ties.
>>
File: besttime.jpg (257KB, 1445x922px) Image search: [Google]
besttime.jpg
257KB, 1445x922px
>>9040097

Make sure when you go to take pictures of you having the BEST time and post it all over your social media.

Show those indecisive louts what they missed.
>>
>>9030829
Damn, sound like assholes
>>
I'm always a little scared and anxious that I'm going to see a person I don't loke. Namely this fake gamer bitch I went to high school who stole my pathetic crush at the time, she was ten times richer than me but borrowed all of my cosplays anyway instead of buying her own when I was in year 11. She didn't return half of them, when she did give back one it was stretched to woopwoop and smelled like wet dog for some reason. When I start getting over her shit she bitches about me to her insignificant year 12 friends to get them to hate on me (we were in a small, strictly Christian, anti-anything-different school) and be as unsupportive as possible about the concept of cosplay so that I get scared and leave the community thus giving her better reign and manipulation over the people without me ruining it by telling them what she was reall like. She won and I gave up for a couple of years, now I'm back and still freak out when at conventions alone. Last year I was wondering aimlessly, lost my boyfriend at the con and then saw her in the busiest area, whatever was going through her mind I don't know but she grabbed her boyfriend and started making out with him in the walk way. I could only imagine it had something to do with the weaboo way we were three years back (she should learn to get the fuck over things I hadn't spoke to her since she graduated) when we just wanted Japanese boyfriends, think it was to make me jealous (I've since dated Japanese boys and learned that I would rather just fuck them instead) but it just made me vomit. like right there and then. didn't know what to do so just fucken stood there and started crying like a petulant child. Lucky my friend, Who is four years younger than me found me and lead me away bc I was so pathetic I couldn't comprehend what was happening, just that I really hated my anxiety. I wish I had vomited on her instead /biggest regrat
>>
>>9044743
Got so carried away there and my English is bad so I apologise for that..
>>
I regret having my friends push me to make more costumes a year. Don't get me wrong, we're all cool but before then, I use to make 1-2 new costumes a year. I like to make my time and try to get everything as perfect as possible so that means a ton of research plus I'm a slow worker. I haven't seen any improvement in my costumes this year and have nothing but half finished pieces. It's doesn't help that I tend to like characters with heavy details. Next year, it's back down to 2 costumes until I can speed up my pace.
>>
>>9038212
.......were you dealing with Celine?
>>
I don't wanna get into it cause it makes me severely salty, but I regret ever cosplaying RWBY. I also regret getting ropes into a group who turned around, kicked me out, then claimed I broke their props.

I don't cosplay for anyone but myself now.
>>
>>9045006
... Why do you regret cosplaying RWBY?
>>
>>9045006
>>9045023
i'm interested to know too
>>
>>9044743
That sounds awful. I'm sorry you had to deal with such a bitch, anon. She may be the type that feeds off making other people feel small and less than her. I know it's not something you can snap your fingers and get over, but she's trash and she probably want you to feel awful when you see her. She's not worth your stress and suffering. You're probably ten times better than that bitch!
>>
>>9045003
Naw, but now I'm curious to who this Celine is…
>>
>love sewing and cosplay and go to cons a lot but never cosplays myself because *gasp* I'm fat
>typically only helps friends make their cosplays, so I can participate but not get the rude comments and hate for not being body accurate
>cute, petite friend BEGS me to cosplay from something she really likes. She's my bro so I cave eventually
>we get everything for the cosplays, but then I find out she can't sew.
>Killme.jpg
>already got hella expensive fabric for our outfits, so I end up making her cosplay in addition to mine
>she's supposed to make our headpieces, so I don't have to do both outfits completely by myself
>we don't work on them together after I get the base of her outfit done, we don't see each other until the con
>this ho hot glued the whole fucking headpieces together and they're LOPSIDED with a crappy paintjob
>really fucking irritated because I can tell she made them at the last minute even though we got the materials over a month before
>what the fuck ever. Use them anyways, because I know I've made some shitty cosplays too when I first started so I can't totally fault her
>surprise, find out that she went ahead and styled our wigs since we group ordered and they shipped to her.
>Aww, thank you! I hate cutting wigs
>get us both ready, do her makeup as well since she's bad at it, then all we have to do is put on the wigs and go
>She fucking butchered my wig bangs. Holy shit, they're so bad and way too short. Whyyyyyyy
>bite the bullet and wear in anyways, try to salvage it as much as I can without being an ass and telling her how much I hate the wig
>we go out, she's cute as fuck, proudmommafeels
>realize that people keep coming up to us and only wanting to take her picture even through were cosplaying sisters
>tries not to get upset, but it's hard when everyone praises her for being so cute and having such a great cosplay, and I get mostly ignored even though I made 98% of our outfits
>why.jpg

Worst time ever, fuck cosplay
>>
>>9045304
Even worse, I got cropped out of several photos that both of us were in. And that fucking hurt. It's not like I'm a goblin, I'm a size 14 dress and my face is really plain and average. But I'm not cute and tiny so apparently even if I slave over making accurate and well made cosplay, I don't deserve to be part of a duo where I did most of the work.

Cosplay photographers can be dildos sometimes man
>>
>>9038212
>also cosplaying a side character) cosplaying the intended series
I'm a huge Tales fan, got a name? Of the character I mean. Also, do you mind sharing pictures? It's alright if you don't want to though.
>>
>>9038313
>>9040250
I know this feel and I hate it. I was at a photoshoot recently and I can only hope no one's posted their results online because in almost all of my pictures there's a piece of my dress that kept going at the wrong angle that I had to keep fixing. Looked fine when fixed, but horrible when sticking out.

>>9044743
You need to learn how to be confident and man up. I was sexually harassed by a student at my college a few years ago and lo and behold he was at the con I went to. We made eye contact and I continued to go about my way. If it's in the past, it's in the past and unless you want to keep reliving a nightmare, you have to learn to get past it.
>>
>>9045023
>>9045032
Because the fandom is cliquey, abusive, immature, and deplorable.

I got roped into a Midwest RWBY group even though I live in the south, met a cosplayer who introduced me to all her friends, then as time went on, I learned that she wanted to basically hurt all of them and used me to do it.

When I finally went to the con, I realized what I almost did and redused to help the cosplayer hurt her friends. She made the entire group go after me, claiming I broke props, made threats, and generally was a nuisance.

Without even asking for my side of the story, the fandom attacked me (verbally and online...even though I was right there) and kicked me out of th e group.

Next year, that same cosplayer and her clique finally went after her "friends" and kept them in their rooms while the others cried and kept to themselves, doing private shoots and then they quit RWBY.

That same cosplayer now has a small network of individuals across the US (Primarily in Texas, FL, and the northwest) who inform her of anyone she needs to deal with.

Ironically the individuals are all.cosplaying villains and her as well.

My friends regret doing RWBY now and have retired their cosplays, focusing more now on video game and comic book cosplays. They're in their 30's and said they're getting too old for this drama.

The coaplayer who led these witch hunts is only 22...

I regret doing RWBY now. I made promises ro friends that I would cosplay with em, but I am gonna have to.break those promises. Like them, I'm gonna focus on video game and comic book cosplays.
>>
>>9044765
I know that feel. I've had a cosplay friend look at me funny when I told her I only make one costume a year, and someone else straight up told me (like they had any right) to make a new costume for the upcoming con at the time.

It's MY time and money, though. I wouldn't let anyone pressure me into spending more time and money making more costumes when I'm not ready for that.
>>
>>9045418
>I regret doing RWBY now.

Jesus, you're looking at this all wrong.

What you SHOULD be regretting is associating with a conniving individual, and not having enough of a spine to tackle the aftermath.

She's not the emperor of the fucking fandom. Don't let one bitch and her cronies bully you out of it. That's stupid.
>>
>>9030784
I would have thought you were a friend of mine self posting, but instead they don't show up to the con until the final day, without a word before of where they were, and then give lame excuses when we all really know it's because they're lazy.
>>
>cosplay a character who wears a long necklace, an ankle bracelet, and a thigh.. bracelet? Band? Among other things
>Underestimate the sensitivity of my skin
>Cue end of con after wearing the costume for 2 1/2 days
>Showering during the con was fine, but after?
>My neck and legs sting like a bitch
>I get out of the tub and check the mirror
>Cosplay covered a lot of skin so I didn't notice it
>Have a rust stained rash around my neck that looks like someone tried to strangle me with an old chain
>Have hives-like scabs on my legs where the band's/bracelets were covering
>Entire body looks at though I was tortured for three days (which didn't help with my tired eyes from not sleeping)

Apparently I'm allergic to the metal I used for my jewellery.. hehe. This actually happened a little over a week ago so all my rashes are covered in bandages and ointment. That was a fun conversation I had with my mother and boyfriend.
>>
>>9046310
I'd still cosplay as her though. I only regret my construction in that particular area
>>
>>9046258
Well, that's the sad part. She was confronted and confessed.

People forgave her because she put on an act. But then she turned around and did it again.

You're right, I shouldn't...well, we shouldn't have let her and her group ruin it.

But, the other two retired theirs. They're done with it all. I still wanted to do Penny. I think after I'm done with her, I'll move on. I still have a big list to do cosplaywise.
>>
>Ex wants to go as league characters
>I start work on my Ezreal costume.
>Wants me to help her
>"No i have tonnes to make"
>She literally does nothing 95% of the time
>Fast forward 6 months to the actual convention
>I've finished months ago and have made her a staff for a new character that was going to take less time
>She still looks shit but it was her idea
>Noone asks her for photos
>I'm being stopped every 5 minutes
>All my fault apparently

Should never have invited her to come conventions with me.... Or dated her.
>>
>>9046550
Young people have a default for deflecting. When we are young we are trying desperately not to fail not being old enough yet to know that failing isn't the end of the world and that it can be learned from.

Hell some 30-40 yr old adults aren't good at failing.

One day if she remembers she'll cringe at what an asshole she was being.
>>
>>9045327
It wasn't ACTUALLY a Tales character, I was just using Tales as an example because the series it was from is similar in organization (they're all from "a series" but each "part" isn't necessarily related). Sorry!

HELLO THOUGH, FELLOW TALES FAN! I haven't done any Tales cosplay yet, though I really want to do Berserker Luke from Abyss and Dezel from Zestiria. Have you done Tales cosplay? (Sorry, I don't have many Tales friends and I want to make more, haha)
>>
>>9047004
No Tales yet. But I want to do Judith so bad. Maybe Maltran since I love her design but what a waste of a character. My cosplay skill is still at "buy from amazon" level unfortunately.
>>
>>9045314
>cosplay that I made

You keep mentioning this as if you expect people who have never met either of you before to somehow know that you were the one who made them.
>>
>>9047021
Ohhhhh, both of those would be so awesome! I hope you're able to cosplay them someday soon! (Maltran really was a waste of a character… such a shame…)
>>
>>9045304
Jesus christ are you me?
I've been dealing with a similar situation that is making me HATE my friend.
We decided to cosplay a duo together and I bought everything to make both our costumes and it's been HELL to get her to cooperate in even the smallest ways. Even getting her measurements or in for a fitting has been near impossible.
I've had my costume entirely done for almost a year but hers still isn't done because i can't get her to try the damn thing on so I can fit it to her.
It doesn't help that she's SUPPOSEDLY doing her own accessories for it and she can't sew for crap. The last thing she made were some hotglued lumpy fox ears with wire sticking out.
>>
>>9047004
Different anon obviously, but also a fellow Tales fan who has done Tales cosplay.
>>
>>9049335
Who have you cosplayed? Will you post pictures (or tell me where to find them)?
>>
I had a group. I ended up making all the props and armor. Another girl cut and styled all the wigs. And me and her ended up doing all the sewing and doing everyone's makeup. Now i only will do groups with people who can see. Even though I'm good at costume making, i hate sewing and pattern making.
>>
At a con recently, my friend and I start planning a cosplay group from a series we both love. She already has made her cosplay and another in that same group that matches hers (she's very good and semi well known). First I know some mutuals who want to join. One starts working on it and then backs out (doesn't even come for one day) because she needs the money (saw her buy Lolita later). Other one just doesn't care. Then the already made matching outfit was supposed to be worn by my friend's roommate and she decides to bail too... not even come for an hour in the morning to get judged for my friend. Then we see her later... at the con. So it was just the two of us
>>
>>9028550
JEEZ
I hope they took you somewhere amazing afterward and literally spent the next month hugging you
>>
>>9049421
I've cosplayed Harold Berselius from Destiny 2 and Arria Ekberg from Tempest, but I'm terrible at remembering to get photos taken.

Honestly since a lot of the Tales areas online have imploded your best bet to find cosplays is google search and Tumblr, as unfortunate as that is.
>>
File: theduothatneverfuckinghappened.png (227KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
theduothatneverfuckinghappened.png
227KB, 500x372px
Usually my choices in cosplay run a little too obscure for anyone to be interested in duo/group cosplaying with me.

However, there was ONE time...

>five years ago Hetalia was hot shit
>I'm garbage and like it at the time
>other friend likes it too
>duo cosplay!!
>can't wait for this brand new experience
>we plan on photos, cosplay chess, cosplay contest, etc.
>was prepping for and thrilled about it for months, and seemingly she was too

Not even five minutes passed after we arrived at the con and suddenly I'm in a quagmire of bullshit.

>friend doesn't wanna wear her costume
>fucks off almost immediately
>don't see her again until friday night
>we practice for the contest because i still somehow have hope?
>saturday and she barely leaves the hotel room
>seems to lose all interest in the con
>why did you even come then?
>surprise, bails on chess and contest
>i do them anyway, having easily transitioned back to my default mode of doing stuff by myself at a con
>i have fun but wtf?
>sunday ended up being fairly fun too
>except for friend going from brushing me off to outright rude
>car ride home is mostly quiet until different friend tries to tell me something
>i have headphones in, take them out
>"hmm?"
>friend cuts in and YELLS what the other friend said at me
>wew 10/10 what a great friend
>never went to a con with her ass again :^)

>pic related, what could have been but never was

There is hope for me yet, though, gulls. I have a (far superior) friend with some fucking integrity who wants to do a duo cosplay with me eventually. Until then, I'll continue with my singular cosplay life and swerve outta the way of drama.

Btw, if this story sounds familiar, then you might have read the longer version I posted in a con horror story thread last year.
>>
>>9038313
Learn to make photos of yourself at home.
You need to learn how to pose. Photographers at cons are not good, nor magicians
>>
I've never been in a con and these stories remind me of how horrible was to work in teams in highschool.
However, strangely I want to go to a con and do cosplay. I'm too old and I feel like I would be a wagon hopper.
>>
>>9051825
>Same shit different newfag
Being old and cosplaying is not new. there are facebook groups for you, lots of people start late.
There is literally nothing special about you or your situation.
>>
>>9051826
Care to share links or names for such oldies' groups?
The only ones I know close are "national" and everyone is at least 10 years younger thme
>>
The usual:
>Come up with a great, big cosplay group with friends
>My fav character is taken, but that's okay I'll take the other one I like
>The character has the most elaborate costume of them all
>Buy a ton of expensive materials
>Start working on the costume and do your absolute best
>1 month before the convention almost everyone from the group bails out
>Only 2 of us left
>The second one is constantly busy with other stuff at the convention
>Left alone with a costume I worked really hard on, the character doesn't work alone as well as with a group, and it wasn't even my top favourite character and not even one of the most popular ones of the show

>Another group, this time only 2 of us so it's easy to coordinate
>Working on my costume faithfully
>the con gets closer
>Get suspicious when my pair doesn't talk about working on her costume
>"Are you having trouble with your costume, X?"
>"No, no, anon, it's fine, I just need to finish this part."
>The night before the convention
>Turns out her costume is only 1/3 finished, she's barely done anything
>Spend the evening and the night just desperately racing to finish her costume, thankfully it was a relatively simple one so we manage to do it but we didn't sleep at all that night
>She spends the day complaining about how bad her costume looks and having bitchfits over it
>This happens two more times with OTHER people

Fuck cosplay groups. I'm never fucking doing them again.
>>
I regret Homestuck. I'll never have friends like that again, for better and for worse. Of course they were all tumblr trash, but they didn't really talk about that stuff offline. I loathed their internet selves but we usually had a lot of fun at cons and whatnot. I'm glad to have them out of my life, but cons just were never the same, not even the same as they were before HS. I also regret just how many different cosplays I did from it, and how much I spent. Couldn't I have been content cosplaying just one or two characters? Instead of like, nine?
>>
I don't like groups of normies cosplaying because they'll bail 99% of the time. And a group cosplay looks so much worse when it's a sporadic mix of characters.

The idea of group cosplay is great, but the majority of people are such shitters that I would probably only do it with some really dedicated people
>>
>>9047082
not the anon that posted it
but I'm pretty sure anon is just salty because making a cosplay is something to be proud of and to go completely unrecognized for something you worked hard on is a bitch.

and >>9045304
Next time you decide to make a cosplay like that, you have 3 options to not feel like shit
>Hire your own photographer, that way they cant crop you out.
>Enter a cosplay contest, that was you can tell the judges how you made both, which can always be satisfying .
>Don't make the friend's cosplay as good looking as yours. if you aren't as pretty a badly made costume on her can maybe balance you two out. And if she notice yours looks better, maybe next time she'll make or buy her own shit.
>>
>>9052232
Alternatively
>start social media
>spam both her and everyone you know with progress pics of both costumes, mentioning it's for both you and friend
>>
>>9051669
Haha quite the opposite actually. They went to a food joint I was really excited to go to with them while I roamed the con looking for the area they said they'd be in.
>>
File: unbelievable.jpg (20KB, 643x361px) Image search: [Google]
unbelievable.jpg
20KB, 643x361px
Copypasta from feels thread, it's my first major regret apart from my first 'cosplay' and cosplaying a character that is always mistaken for Ciel despite being female and having a very different outfit.

>Doing Magi cosplay
>Friend already cosplays Kougyoku but needs new costume
>"I'm so excited to cosplay with you anon! Let's match costumes!"
>Links her to Kougyoku variants that match the cosplay I ordered (nowhere to get nice asian-style fabrics here and I wouldn't have time to make my own)
>"Okay I just want to see if I can find one in Japan first!"
>Two months before con
>Ask her if she's found anything
>"Nope anon everything here is Idol costumes right now!"
>Reminds her about links to other costumes, including a secondhand one that matches her measurements and an SS that could buy it for her
>"Okay I'll look into it!"
>Two more weeks pass, running out of time
>Gently remind her again
>"Oh well everything's so all over the place for me right now, I haven't decided what I want to do yet!"
>mfw

So basically I'm not sure if she's lying about wanting to cosplay with me or just doesn't want to admit she's broke/disorganized/whatever or what. I don't want to be a bother, but I feel like I'm having to do most of the work in this situation and it's very annoying.
>>
Not getting better photos of my stuff earlier on. Of my ten years of cosplaying I've only started scheduling photoshop ts in the last 3.
>>
>>9052325

You can shop some of your earlier stuff.

I've been cosplaying for 17 years and I have old grainy photos from hallways because that's how we did things then. They can be saved with some judicious use of photoshop.

Plus people totally understand that older photos don't have the same polish of 2016 photos because tech advanced.
>>
>>9051767
>Btw, if this story sounds familiar, then you might have read the longer version I posted in a con horror story thread last year
Repost it? I want details about this, why was she mad?
>>
>>9030784
>>9030799
I have a friend who does this and is very skilled, and it always makes me sad to see her beat herself up over it. Cosplay's supposed to be fun.
>>
My only regret is having never cosplayed.
I lurk a lot and it seems like it could be a fucking blast, but even the few friends I have wouldn't be willing..
well, maybe one day i'll find someone. I'd probably have to buy a costume and hope it looks alright since I'm not creative at all kek
>>
>>9052257
wow, what a bunch of assholes
>>
>>9054027
Yeah but I'm still friends with them because they are super fun to be with when it isn’t at a con.
>>
File: buttercup.jpg (52KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
buttercup.jpg
52KB, 500x383px
>>9054174
damn, that's too real.

I have so many friends who are great to be around normally but they turn into the shittiest people at cons. I don't go to cons with them anymore because of this, but it's so fucking awkward when we run into each other at cons. It's like we have to put our friendship on hold during con time.
>>
File: Joe.jpg (94KB, 358x358px) Image search: [Google]
Joe.jpg
94KB, 358x358px
I've had one incident
>Couple people at school want to go to a local con
>They're in the anime club, but are nice enough people so I don't mind going with them
>decide to go
>One girl takes control of the group
>Tells us who all we're cosplaying, what we should wear, where to get it, what colors everything should be, even included prices
>Literally everyday she would call each of us to check on the progress
>Starting to think this isn't worth it
>Day of the con
>Anon what did you do why do you have glasses on the character doesn't wear glasses
>I need them to see, they're prescription...
>She actually gets mad saying its not like the character
>The other four in the car defend me saying how I can't help it and the cosplay doesn't have to be accurate to a T
>NO SHE'S NOT ALLOWED IN MY CAR YOU'RE OUT OF THE GROUP JUST STAY HOME
>Other girl in the car: that's really mean I don't want to go anymore
>THEN NONE OF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GO
>Throws everyone out of the car
>Just drives off

Was back in 2009. To this day I haven't heard from her and still don't know if she actually went to the con or not. She just threw us all out of the group drove off and never spoke to us again.
>>
>>9054293
Wow.
>>
>>9051678
Oh DANG, I've never seen anyone cosplay them before, that's so awesome!!
>>
>>9051890
At least I bet you looked fabulous?

Sorry to hear about all the flakes though, that's balls.
>>
File: 1449693855907.jpg (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1449693855907.jpg
9KB, 205x246px
RIGHT FUCKING NOW

>have only done cosplays that I can pull off without wig or makeup
>decide that this year i'll work on armor and a mask
>not a whole lot of armor, just pauldrons and boots
>do fiberglass for mask
>paper model is really rough looking, but I thought it would look better once I applied stuff and sanded
>it doesn't
>texture and everything is okay so far, but it's asymmetrical as fuck with how it all dried

Fucking kill me, I should have done this shit with foam. I don't have the money or time to redo it because I only have half the clothing done and none of the props.
>>
>>9055965
Can you make it a battle damaged version? Maybe rough up some bits so it looks like it's asymmetrical because it's been damaged in combat?
>>
>>9053708
>I want details about this, why was she mad?

Alright, so the reason she initially fucked off was that she decided to follow a guy around instead. He was a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend, bisexual, and my friend was creepily interested in him. She spent Friday tagging along with him rather than cosplaying with me.

At some point, some drama went down in the group he was in. As far as I could discern, that was the reason she was moping in the hotel room on Saturday and bailed on chess/masquerade. I kid you not, I found her in the closet when I went back to the room, texting a mile a minute. I only found her because I could hear the tapping, she was silent otherwise.

I had been very patient with all of this, determined not to start a fight. In spite of my efforts to remain perfectly civil with her, she took out her anger over this other shit on me Sunday.

It wasn't just her bailing on me that I was putting up with, either. She lied to me about giving me a free badge. That alone would have justified me giving her a dressing down, but I didn't. I really, really, didn't want a confrontation.

My politeness literally had no effect on the outcome. She screwed me at every turn and had the gall to snap at me over nothing.

It's been years but she's never apologized. Until she puts on her big girl pants and tells me she's sincerely sorry, I will be forever salty and forever not inviting her to any cons. :^)

At the very least, my regret has motivated me to never fucking tolerate this kind of horseshit ever again.
>>
>tfw my first cosplay was 210 pound 16 year old me as a genderbent franky from one piece
it was just normal blue jeans a hawaiian shirt and a tank top
>i felt sad when the AMAZING zoro cosplayer didnt even want to talk to me nor did anybody take pictures of me

what the fuck was wrong with me
>>
>>9058493
i had sharpie drawn on stars on my arms
>>
>>9058332
As an expert at analyzing stories on the Internet, I rate this as having an 80% chance of you having a much larger share of reprehensible behavior and responsibility for the drama than you admit to.

You consistently make everything her fault while you act like a saint, without really qualifying either of those.
>>
>>9058514
>You consistently make everything her fault while you act like a saint, without really qualifying either of those.

I believe it. Some people are just shitheels.

The amount of 'i made my costume on time but like everyone else got lazy and bailed' in this thread and that i'm sure we all have experienced is testament to that.

As much as i hate that feeling it does at least hang a big neon sign over that shitter saying 'don't ever work/con with this idiot again'
>>
>>9055367
I'm a fan of the older and obscure games haha. Maybe one day I'll get nice pictures.

Anyways, sage for off-topic.
>>
>>9058514
isnt everyone is this thread doing that lol
>>
>>9058514
Even if I had wanted to treat her like shit, I wouldn't have had much of an opportunity. She was barely around me.

She had a history of doing this in the past, but I thought she had grown up a bit. I was wrong.

Like >>9059047 said, some people are just like that. I do believe the friend I'm talking about has a legitimate mood or personality disorder.
>>
>>9028550
>recently just got back into cosplay
>decide to cut a long wig short the night of the con
>MISTAKE
>buy a used wig at the con for cheap
>have my friend cut it
>cut is okay, but wig is awful and sticks out everywhere
>mfw i have to deal with an awful wig all con

>last year at a con
>room with a group of new friends
>my normal roomies are pissed (they were also my housemates, and had put off booking a room until the week of, which is why i roomed with the new people)
>we were supposed to do a group cosplay and meet up and hang out for the con
>they stayed in cosplay for 20 minutes before going back to their hotel and changing out of it - and actively avoiding me for the rest of the con
>>
>>9062175
Also idk if this is cosplay regret, but this year I did a group cosplay and a friend I dislike was part of the group. I planned on doing a few other group cosplays with other friends, but this one keeps inviting herself into them, which is irritating because she can never cosplay them right. Going for a "this is my interpretation of the character" rather than an on-point one for more difficult cosplays.

I wish I never invited her to the inital group desu.
>>
>>9062176
I hate people that invite themselves to groups. The most obnoxious things to deal with.
>>
>>9046278
Nope, not me. I don't have a problem going to the con without a costume, I just get bummed out once I'm there and see all the other costumes that actually got finished.
>>
>>9062176
>keeps inviting herself into them
I hate this shit. I have one con acquaintance who is CONSTANTLY inviting herself to our groups without asking. She'll see me post progress and then reply with "oh cool I'm going to make x character!" and we can't exactly tell her no since the character is technically not claimed. It's a pain in the ass because it means we have to wrangle a larger group, find a photog willing to accommodate, and then deal with her plopping down in our already cramped hotel room to "get ready". I have no idea how to prevent this short of keeping our plans a secret.
>>
>>9064136
If its on your personal page I normally block those that I specifically don't want. If its on your like page one way to get rid of her is to say "oh sorry we actually are doing a paid shoot that is pay by person and we have the max amount of cosplayers the photographer will agree to shoot. Maybe some other time though!" or something along those lines. Just make up a bullshit story.
>>
>>9064359
Sadly this isn't facebook (tumblr or instagram) so there's no way to filter her ass out. I've managed to come up with excuses sometimes ("Oh we only have space for the main 4 sorry" etc) but she seriously does this about five times a year so there's only so much bullshit I can lob in her direction. I don't even like hanging out with her and never talk to her outside of cons so it's doubly annoying.
>>
>>9064400
Just don't tell her what days you're doing it. Say you're unsure or whatever. I've had to do that a few times saying we decided last minute.
>>
File: 471.jpg (49KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
471.jpg
49KB, 300x296px
>>9064136
Yeah, the worst part is that she keeps doing this shit even out of cons since we grew up as friends and she lives right down the road/share mutual friends. Hell, she's invited herself to unspoken dates with the people I'm interested in - even if she knows that I'm interested in them and clearly looking forward to it!
>oh you and so-and-so are going to this fancy restaurant? all alone? well i should come too and we can make it a foodie friend night!

But back to con topic, I think her most irritating thing was this year at Colossalcon. Not only did she take our only hotel key back home with her (2 hours away!) while she attended her brother's graduation party and didn't get back until 1:30AM, but she had the nerve to not only invite herself, but a few of her friends! to the room I stood in line for FIVE HOURS to get for next year without asking.
It was literally the day after she practically locked me out of the room, and I turn around and she's texting
>"Hey anon, how much is the room for next year?"
>"What?"
>"The room cost. I'm inviting a few friends next year since you got a room reserved."
>"I don't know, but don't invite people without asking me first."
>"Oh okay, but my friend X is already planning to come"
>"Don't invite anymore people please?"
>"Okay, well I already have my and my plus one so I'm good."
Like? I already had pretty much a full room and I have no idea where she got the idea that she gets a "plus one" (or even that she was invited at all, desu)
>>
>Decide on cosplay schedule for upcoming con
>Not cosplaying with anyone, but that's okay
>Pick two characters to make costumes for, already wearing two others (that match up with two Guests of Honor)
>Already working on costumes when two friends ask me to join their groups
>Costumes are easy, characters are cool, so I'm happy to join
>Finish original costumes, work on new ones
>Somehow finish those costumes well before con
>Get info on my work/paneling schedule, hash out plans with the cosplay groups
>Looks like wearing all six costumes would mean chaos for me, too much rushing around
>Cut the two new solo costumes from the schedule. I'll just wear them at other cons
>At con, one group-arranging friend shows up late, only get a short time with her before I have to leave for paneling
>The next day, the other group-arranging friend hasn't even finished his costume at the meeting time, so I sit in his room for hour as he finished (and there's nothing I can help with, so I just sit) and only have some 20min with the group before I have to go to work.
>Those two solo-costumes are hung up outside my closet still, and I feel like I should've just brought those instead of the group ones.
Don't get me wrong, I had lots of fun with the groups, but I spent way more time sitting around waiting for the groups to assemble than I did actually with the group. And part of that is because of my own schedule, but still… I think I would've had more fun in my solo costumes. I regret saying yes to those friends.
>>
File: Criminale_Rage.png (774KB, 1840x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Criminale_Rage.png
774KB, 1840x1300px
>>9065109
I'm just… SO MAD. THIS MAKES ME SO MAD.
>>
>second year of college
>making a lot of new friends who like anime and same video games and feels nice to have a good community
>be a shitty cosplayer who had a friend with a nice camera in high school
>college friends say they want to try cosplaying too after seeing photos of my cosplay
>immediately tell them I'm not skilled but can help break down their costumes
>I try to baby them a lot, teaching how to use the sewing machine I have, the iron, resin casting, basic wig styling, and basic chestplate armor making with eva foam
>I do tell them that cutting corners will show most of the time (bobby pining or hot gluing seams instead of sewing, leaving wigs unstyled, forgoing certain details, not covering tattoos, etc) and that putting in a lot of time does show
>also ask if we all want to pitch in for a photoshoot since I know photos generally make me feel really good about finish a cosplay
>general consensus is no, too expensive
>try to make weekly 'workshop' time at my apartment for friends to work on cosplay together so we all get done in a timely manner and I can be there to help if they need it
>few people up per week but I figure it's just school and work schedules
>day before con everyone is done so we all put stuff on
>me and one other girl I was particularly close with look really good
>I was able to try out some new techniques and the other girl was very handy with Google and looking up tutorials
>everyone else looks well, like shit
>other people go "omg we all look so good!"
>I figure it will be fun once we're all hanging out together so no one gets singled out for their unhemmed messes and no wig
>I'm hoping that if we have a good time regardless, they will be more likely to cosplay again and do better
>We sort of crowd around together and then separate for food and panels or AA things we wanted to do
>girl and I get stopped a bunch of time in vendors and AA for photos
>post-con friends get miffed that they are no photos of them but just me and the girl
>>
>>9065109
Why haven't you told her off? She's going to keep taking advantage of you until you grow a spine.
>>
>Friend and I decide to do matching cosplays for a con right around my birthday
>In school full time and work part time, but manage to finish my cosplay on time with two weeks to spare
>She only works part time, known for good construction but poor time management
>On my birthday, she messages me "Sorry anon I cant finish it on time."
>Only group planned that week
>She eventually makes it for her next con
>But doesnt tell me and has someone else do the same character instead of me
>Approaches her and asks "Can we do this cosplay sometime together, like an off-site shoot?"
>"Sorry, anon, I sold it"

The only good news is that I know the girl who bought the cosplay, and she agreed to do a shoot with me sometime soon.
>>
>>9065109
"This is awkward, but you're not staying with us next year. Hope you find space!" Problem solved. She probably won't even talk to you again. Bonus.
>>
>>9038313
I could tell you how beautiful you are if you'd be my gf
>>
>>9065109
'Invite' yourself to their dates, to her house, and to anything she wants to do by herself or with other friends. Bring plus ones, and tell the plus ones to bring more plus ones, just in case you end up with less than ten unplanned guests.
Hey, she likes parties, right? You're just helping her out here! She'll get lonely if you don't keep bringing random people to bother her!
>>
File: 1416973112280.png (356KB, 813x750px) Image search: [Google]
1416973112280.png
356KB, 813x750px
I crossplayed Reisen and forgot my Tewi fumo fumo at home and felt lonely the whole con.
>>
File: IMG_20160626_013651.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160626_013651.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
The only regret I'll ever have is...not start cosplaying before 20. I regret being one of those lolitas that look down on "those filthy weebs" and think they're better and more grounded in life than everyone when in reality...I was missing all the fun.
Man, I love dressing up as my chinese cartoons and games. And I wish I have discovered it earlier, because I have the feeling that I'll have to quit cosplay at 27 and even now at 24 I'm starting to feel kinda creepy for school uniforms and magical girl/idol dresses (even more when I'm told I look younger...weird, I should be flattered), with all those youngsters flooding cons lately and all my old friends coming from lolita and having the lolita vs. weebs mindset. I feel old and lonely, and maybe if I started cosplaying earlier this wouldn't happen.
>>
File: Not-Everyone-Has-To-Like-You.png (39KB, 562x443px) Image search: [Google]
Not-Everyone-Has-To-Like-You.png
39KB, 562x443px
>>9065109

This has the potential for a growing up experience.
I too remember the days of the friend who can't seem to understand how to social correctly.
Because we are all young at some point and probably unfamiliar with the just fucking asserting ourselves or at least teaching these people that NO that is now how this works...it's time to handle it.

First of all your con shouldn't be at the mercy of someone so inconsiderate. Second this person really needs a hard smack of reality because they cannot go through life like this nor subject others to it.

You're going to have to step up and be done with it. >>9069793
has a good idea. Just tell it like it is.
My words would be, "You effectively locked us out of our room for hours last time. None of us want to stay with someone so inconsiderate again. I hope you learned a valuable lesson about other's needs."
>>
>friends convince me to do negasonic teenage warhead because i have a nose ring and shave my head already
>turned out gr8 but spent the whole weekend being verbally molested by every 3rd deadpool i stumble across

Will people ever stop using full face coverings as an excuse to be skeevy
>>
>>9076346
See the thing is, all our other friends are rooming with us, I'm just the "person who always books the room"

Last con, they bailed due to money issues, so it was just her and I rooming with some randos. So they have never had to deal with her con issues, and I worry that barring her from my rooms in the future is going to take my entire friends group (or at least a significant part of it)
>>
>>9047004
I love Tales! I cosplayed young Mythos from Tales of Symphonia one Acen years ago. That was a beginner cosplay (first one I ever sewed, crappy eBay wig) but it was SO much fun to be the bad guy, and the other Tales cosplayers were amazingly sweet.
>>
File: fuck my shit up.png (460KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
fuck my shit up.png
460KB, 800x600px
I regret not learning to sew and craft when I was a teenager and first started cosplaying. My family was very unsupportive and told me anything I'd make would come out terrible and I'd just be wasting my money so I just wore premade cosplays.

Now I'm 22 and just starting to learn the basics, while other people who started learning this shit when I first started cosplaying are light years ahead of me. I really regret letting my family convince me I'd never be able to make something on my own.
>>
>>9080542
It's ok anon. I'd gladly teach you if we were near one another.

But it's really cool you are trying. Here's how you present it to your family in the future:

Make some stuff for your apartment or their house. Then remark, "Man I could have made this sooner for you guys if I had gotten on the sewing train earlier. Now I can repair stuff and save myself so much money."

My mom sewed cause her mom did a long time ago and so I never had to convince her. My dad thought I was going through a phase and when I talked about how I would be able to make my own curtains, paint my own rooms, repair tears, and generally just go about life not being a useless human who can't do anything unless they pay someone....he was totally on board.
>>
>>9080542
Learning the basics now might actually work in your favour, since you're not at the age when dyeing a ballgown with felt tips sounds like a good idea. You'll have a better idea of what looks good on you, too, and hopefully won't make the same mistakes I did when it came to matching wigs to skin tones, or fuck up your makeup to the point where you look like a constipated ghost.

I'm glad you're learning. It's super shitty when parents are unsupportive, and I know it can really fuck up your self esteem if your hobbies get shot down like that.

There's nothing stopping you from making a really good cosplay, either. Simple cosplays can look great, and if you're worried about looking bad in a crowd of elaborate costumes, just remember that a good chunk of them are done by people who do their sewing with a glue gun.
>>
>go to a con I don't really love for groups with friends
>plan months ahead
>everyone seems on board
>check in 2 weeks before con
>suddenly 3/4 of group is out
>most not even going
>already paid for badge and hotel, got time off
never again.
>>
File: that fucking face.png (237KB, 440x672px) Image search: [Google]
that fucking face.png
237KB, 440x672px
>mfw I've become one of those people who actually dislike MAKING costumes
>very sad and pathetic reasons for it as well
>decide to quit doing group cosplays so my lack of motivation doesnt affect others directly
>still make cosplay parts but i buy a lot of shit as well now

oh well
>>
>>9080542
Hey I'm 26 and I can't craft for shit. We'll all get there.
>>
>friends and i were doing a big cosplay group
>month before con half the people drop
>still make my cosplay
>asks friends about photoshoot time
>they say idk we'll find out at con
>later find out they did a photoshoot without me
>they barely hung out with me the entire con
>>
>>9049580
I know this girl who constantly commits to groups then backs out because she "doesn't have money". Then she turns around and announces her giant ballgown cosplay the week after. After she's flaked on so many groups (and generally been a bad friend) I've pretty much just stopped talking to her entirely.
>>
>Have one good friend who is into cosplay
>She went to school for costumes/sewing but is absolutely terrible at it.
>I didn't go to school but am better at sewing so she asks me questions and has me solve sewing problems for her constantly. I've even shared my personally drafted patterns with her.
>Earlier this year I realized she never hits me up to chat or FaceTime without an alternative motive of getting me to solve a costume problem for her.
>So I stop helping her. I pretend I don't know what to do, or how to solve her problems.
>She keeps asking and getting pissed when I can't help her.
>Then this month Im having a tricky time figuring out how to draft a pattern and remember she already made the same item.
>The next time she calls me for help I give her some advice then ask about the pattern she made.
>This bitch strait up says to me "Ugh, I don't know. You're not supposed to be asking me questions. I ask you questions."
>What
>All I asked was what two commercial patterns she modified and she was too fucking lazy to find the pattern numbers. After I've helped her with every cosplay she's made for the last 4 years
>Don't want to be "friends" anymore
>>
File: JitsuWa_Disinterest.png (500KB, 838x603px) Image search: [Google]
JitsuWa_Disinterest.png
500KB, 838x603px
>I regret being a manga/cosplay hipster
>I can read some Japanese, so I check out lots of new titles from Japan
>Sometimes I find something I love & think will be big so I try to get my friends to check it out
>I am, for the most, part ignored. (oh well)
>I'll cosplay from these series for years & no one really knows who I am, but I love the character and that's what's important
>One of these series will get an anime & EXPLODES in popularity
>Especially with my friends
>Cool, cool, cool, we can talk about the series, cosplay together, an—
>"I'm SUCH a big fan. I'm the #1 fan. You're all so lucky I got you into this series!"
>You just started watching it. Like 3 weeks ago. And you all started watching it together, why do you think ya got them into it?
>"ANON, PLEASE. You don't have to be upset, I just know what's good. You should be happy I help you find such good series."
>But I've been telling you to read the manga for… oh, it's not important.
>"Anon!! We're going to get a cosplay group together for the series! You should join us!"
>OH, YES PLEASE. I can ignore you being an asshole about the other stuff because HELLO GROUP COSPLAY! I've been wearing my Character B costume for years, I was gonna wear it anywa—
>"Sorry anon, someone already claimed him. Pick someone else."
>But I've been cosplaying Character B for like 3 years, I thought you would know who I want to go as.
>"ANON I CANNOT READ YOUR MIND & FIGURE OUT WHAT COSTUMES YOU'RE MAKING"
>I've been wearing this for THREE. YEARS. I may be mediocre, but I'm not such a bad cosplayer that my costume is unrecognizable. Plus, you JUST commented on the new photos of it when I posted my cosplay lineup for this con.
>"Anon, don't start attacking me, ok? I've gotten so many people into this series, I just can't keep track of what all you guys are doing b/c of me."
This has happened 3x in the last 6ish years. Can't we just love the series instead of playing "BIGGEST FAN"?
Maybe I just regret these friends.
>>
>Be me, metro con Flordia age 13
>first cosplay, no wig Rikku from X-2. Shitty but adorbs.
> friends want to do a skit for the contest
> hell yea .jpg
> make a last minute skit the night before
>we are weaboo garbage not even from the same shows. Naruto ect.
>the next day we are in line behind. So psyched.
> with two people left ahead of us my girls bail and leave me alone.
>still take the stage and do my song and dance.

We were all shy kids so I don't really blame them. But at the time I was hella pissed. Still proud of little me for taking that stage though.
>>
>>9084482
Wow this sound like a majority of the young cosplaylers in Norcal.
>>
>>9030784
I feel the same way but then I realize that nobody but me will give a shit if the seams inside are crap or if the very fine detail of the trim of the prop is smudged.

I'm not entering a competition, I'm not going to a personal photoshoot.
If I'm not at the event I'm working so hard for then what is even the point.

If the finished product is 80 percent perfect then its done especially when under a deadline. I can finish the 20 after the con.
>>
>>9087954
Stories like this are the reason I hope whatever I like will never become that popular.
>>
>>9084594
>Don't want to be "friends" anymore

Good. She's using you.
>>
>I'm pretty average as a cosplayer
>You know, good at some things, awful at others
>Mom tells me I should get a job as a theater seamstress or for movies
>I am NOT EVEN CLOSE to being that skilled and I tell her
>Sometimes when I'm with her and she sees someone she knows, she'll show off pictures of my cosplay and tell them how I should work on costumes professionally
>They don't agree. They never agree. But they tell her they do.
>The fleeting, pitying looks I get from them after hurt so much.
>It's like "oh, this poor child is so special, she thinks she's actually at pro-level."
>My mom is just proud, and that makes me really happy, but… please, stop telling people that!
>>
>>9093068
learn2greentext
>>
>Me around 16-17 years old.
>Friend 13.
>Decide we should pair cosplay.
>Friend's first time in con.
>Got a cosplay where I barely see or hear or feel anything. Needs my friend for guidance walking around.
>She's running everywhere and stays with me barely for 5 minutes.
>Left alone and can barely move with my cosplay.

I was pretty pissed off because she ditched me. Especially when I had told her earlier that I need her to be my eyes.
But I can understand that it was her first con so she was too excited.
>>
>>9093279
Bad friend :/
>>
At a con this weekend with a friend. They decides to enter cosplay contest with pretty ok cosplay. Not horrible, not great. Quite a few inaccuracy and flaws. Con puts them in beginner category. They say "I should be in experienced". Mind you this is like their 6th cosplay ever. All other are pretty ok. They brought barely any make up and can't apply it worth shit.
They won a cosplay contest at a very small con like 6 years ago. They're pretty cocky. We're at a big con this weekend. Professionals will be in this catagory. They'll in babies first cosplay.
They're going to be so fucking pissed when they get last place. Too narcissistic to realize they suck. Making the rest of my weekend hell.
Should have went alone.
>>
>>9094545
Keep us updated on this please!
>>
>>9094545
I have a weird inversion of your story.
I entered a cosplay contest's beginner category once with the first costume I ever (for the most part) made from scratch and got bumped up into a higher bracket because I told the judges I had done closet cosplays before.
However, they also didn't distinguish between any of the categories at all during the masquerade, only when they were giving out the awards.
I felt pretty fucking awkward being jammed between much better-made, higher-budget cosplays. Made me wish I hadn't entered.
>>
>>9094611
absolutely
>>
>>9093279
Trusting a 13yo at their first con to do anything but lose their minds.
>>
>>9036047
Put it on, take photos now, then decide. You may be ok with letting it go after you shoot some photos.
>>
The first con I ever went to I thought it would be really funny to "cosplay" Soulja Boy.

So I ghosted around Ohayocon in baggy clothes with some big sunglasses with SOULJA BOY written on the lenses in pale glue. I cringe any time I remember.

These days I have a distaste for pretty much any "comedic" cosplay unless there is real cosplay level of effort put into the gag.
>>
>>9038313
dude this has happened to me EXACTLY you get the photos you PAID FOR back and everyone except you looks good it's so fucking disheartening.
>>
okay SO way back in the days when homestuck was super popular my ex and I did Terezi and Karkat because they were our favs and Hey! People shipped them so why not? except HOW
>He's never made a cosplay before in his life and never cosplayed prior to this
>I help him get all the stuff necessary
>I do his wig, screen print his shirt, my friends even help by helping me w the horns
>I trust that he can get all this stuff on his shitty body without much problem
>he says he even has someone in his room that does makeup for a living so he's good on that and I don't gotta help
>I'm like "GREAT!" and I get ready in my cosplay. I was a pretty cute Terezi, probably not the best but I I looked pretty good and my makeup was sealed and everything
>We meet up at the con
>he looks like a fucking hot mess save his makeup which looks.... decent
>He sticks with me for a whole five minutes after we get some pics and then fucks off and I'm upset bc like ???wtf???
>I don't see him again for literally hours like it's fucking night time the next time we meet
>he's taken his wig off
>the collar of his shirt is stained grey
>I am secretly glad he left because he looks somehow even worse than before
>when i confront him about how upset I was later he just goes "I didn't go to the con to hang out WITH YOU"
I'm so glad we're not together anymore, like this is just one of SO MANY infinite reasons but like fuck that guy
>>
File: mistake.jpg (19KB, 204x187px) Image search: [Google]
mistake.jpg
19KB, 204x187px
>be 11 year old me, about to go to my first anime convention
>i know jack shit about cosplay, never done it before in my life
>i wanna cosplay amu hinamori from shugo chara
>about 2 weeks before the convention in question
>i explain this whole cosplay thing to my mom, she doesn't really get it but she gets all the stuff for me anyway because i cant afford shit as an 11 year old with no allowance
>this is where the horror begins
>blazer and shirt are okay, everything else is absolutely awful
>mom says wigs are expensive, she buys pink party city hair dye for me to use instead
>no classic X hair clip because i'm fucked for time
>plaid tie has a random decal on it that i didn't know how to take off
>buy a knee length plaid skirt and plan to attempt to cut it short and use the remaining fabric to make leg warmers
>of course the skirt ends up too short and the leg warmers are like four inches long. mom makes me wear shorts under the skirt so nobody takes pantsu shots of me
>my grandmother is in town the night before and shes very confused and vaguely disappointed as we finish piecing this monster together
>my mom does my makeup the day of, i ask her to do the fucking white shit under the eyes technique because she wont let me get circle lenses
>i look like somebody's guitar hero OC
>get to the con, weeb out and blow $100 bucks on wood swords and hats
>i come home, EVERYTHING is stained pink
>the inside of my new hat is pink. my white shirt is pink. my fucking sheets are pink because i didnt wash the stuff out completely when i went to bed
>mfw
i have nightmares about that cosplay to this day
>>
>>9097264
what a DICK. I'M glad you're not together anymore. Jeez.
>>
>>9097377
Your story reminded me of my own horror…
>In college
>Love Brave Story, want to cosplay from it
>Gonna be Wataru, never mind he's like 10 and I'm like 20
>Dad helps me make his Brave Sword during a school break
>It looks really good, just gotta paint it
>We even make a sheath for it, just gotta cover it in a pleather
>Most of costume is easy, except his soft(?) armor top and helmet(?)
>End up making the helmet out of regular fabric, no support, it's super floppy
>Armor is chicken wire and lots of paper mache with a fabric cover
>Armor actually appears pretty nice, but when I put it on it's like wearing half a barrel because it's much too wide and round
>Running out of time, so I slap together a pleather slip for the sheath
>It doesn't fit well, but it'll do in a pinch
>Try to paint the sword, but the clear coat for the blade keeps making my sliver spray paint run and look odd
>Finally decide it'll have to do
>Paint sword guard, it looks like a blind second-grader's art project
>Go to convention, meet up with Brave Story cosplay friend, she looks amazing
>I look like garbage, I feel like garbage, take off costume after maybe half an hour

But that wasn't as bad as when I brought the Brave Sword home and my dad's face fell when he saw what an awful paint job I had given this amazing sword he did most of the work on.
>>
>>9097675
On the flip side, years later…
>Rise of the Guardians comes out, I want to cosplay from it even though I know a million other people will too
>Decide to cosplay the first version of Jack (the colonial-esque outfit)
>Talk to dad about making the staff
>Spend countless hours on this costume
>Dad and I work really, really hard on this staff
>It can break into two sections for easy transport and it lights up with EL wire that it activated by touch (powered by battery packs with leads running to my hands)
>It takes MONTHS to get this thing completed, but it looks pretty damn good when it's done
>The costume also takes forever to complete, but I am slow and methodical and except for the pants, it looks great
>I'm usually slap-dash, so this was a big success for me
>Even the wig turns out well
>But I was staffing at the con I wanted to wear the costume to
>Ended up working practically the entire convention, no time to cosplay, aren't allowed to cosplay while working
>Put it on late one night, husband and I go out and take some photos
>Makeup is pretty bad and the lighting is bad because it's so late
>I wore the costume for maybe one hour and I haven't worn it since
>I've never spent so long on a costume… and, besides the Brave Story costume, I've never worn a costume so little.

The staff still sits in a corner of my library and it makes me sad every time I see it. I could definitely just wear the costume again to another convention, but I was too old for the character then and way too old now.
>>
>>9028641
What does her being rich and buying her cosplay have to do with anything? It's more expensive to make than buy your cosplay.
>>
>>9065109 here, I've been avoided said friend for about a month now, and she just informed me that she won't be going to an upcoming con. I think she's realized that our "friendship" is dwindling.

Hopefully this is a light at the end of the tunnel for my hellish experiences with this girl.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.