[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flying solo at cons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

File: slutfriend.jpg (225KB, 1637x917px) Image search: [Google]
slutfriend.jpg
225KB, 1637x917px
Do you like to attend cons alone, or do you have to bring your cosfam with you?

I'm about to attend my first solo con out of state (friends decided last minute to marry and honeymoon in Europe), so I was wondering, how do you have fun? Do you get social with other cosplayers?
>>
I always go to cons alone because I'm a sperg who can't make friends.

I feel like I miss the 'point' of conventions, but whatever.

I usually just kinda lurk around and maybe buy stuff + attend whatever panels I wanted to go to. I have fun, but I don't talk to people much unless I get 'adopted' and then it's scuttling around with whoever wanted to be friendly.
>>
Alone! Because no friends, unfortunately.
>>
File: 1456386614216.jpg (148KB, 400x554px) Image search: [Google]
1456386614216.jpg
148KB, 400x554px
I've only went alone, but since I was cosplaying as Tomoko, it felt right.
>>
File: nooneisinmyarea.jpg (45KB, 367x550px) Image search: [Google]
nooneisinmyarea.jpg
45KB, 367x550px
I go alone but everyone knows everyone in the UK scene. I don't really have a cosplay click though because no one lives anywhere near my area.
>>
I solo cons all the time. I also cosplay and just make new friends along the way. Just shower, be nice, start up chats in lines and whatnot
>>
Soloing a con soon. I'm rooming with some scary strangers. Hopefully I'll make friends with them!
>>
>>9012101
I don't mind going alone but really depends on the size of the con. Something like Anime Weekend Atlanta? I'll go with friends, Dragon con? Generally alone.

Thinks like Otakon sucked balls, I should have gone alone and NOT met up with people. Solo'ing it I had so much fun, the second I met up with people that fun plummeted fast.
>>
I've never attended a con alone- I really don't think I'd have nearly as much fun without my pals. The smallest group I've ever traveled in at a con was just me and one other person, but I usually have three to five people in my group (at that point we get two rooms)

It's nice being older now and going to cons, since I can afford to only have one or two people in my room instead of the 10+ that my teenaged self might have crammed into a room with, but I still don't enjoy being alone.

I dunno, maybe I'm too weak to be by myself for a weekend
>>
Going with friends is definitely more fun but all of mine are on the weat coast ufortunately.

I try to be more sociable when I go at it alone because of this and I dress to impress
>>
I went to a con by myself and was alone for a day until I went to a /cgl/ meetup, met some cool people, and hung out together at that con and several other cons later on.
>>
Used to do solo first year or so after gf broke up with me. Was tough since I was still socially awkward at some points and im not an attractive guy so that's already points off, but now I can hold conversations with most randoms. Thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to convert that to hanging out throughout the con.
>>
I went to a trashy con at the fairgrounds alone. Some rednecks called me a fag from their window. Never flying solo again.
>>
>>9012217
I'm not sure how big AWA is, but I'm guessing you're saying that smaller cons are better with company?
To which I agree.
Larger cons are tolerable but small cons are pretty boring alone since everyone sticks to their friend groups.
>>
>>9012282
Nah, AWA's big af.
>>
I only go in groups, ever. Can't have fun alone.
>>
>>9012188
>click
>>
>>9012611
This is a really mean post, i think its possible to go to a con alone and not be a terrible human being, some of us just don't have people to go with you know
>>
>>9012615
congratulations, you have taken the bait?
>>
>>9012611
>"proving" something to normies
why don't you just roll over and die. Cons are the nerd's outlet for partying, don't kid yourself with this self congratulatory nonsense. Guess what slut, dress up and dignity don't go together. I'm going to the con, I'm going to look great in my fuckin plug suit, then I'm going to do drugs with my greasy weeb friends and grind on anybody stupid enough to dress up like edward. sorry if that ruins your plans to make this some noble thing your parents will accept you for but I want to have a good time with people I'm comforable with, you sandy cunt
>>
>>9012217
I'm going to my first Otakon this summer, what makes it worth going solo?
>>
It's nice having a "base camp" group of friends, like, you know where the others are and you go eat together or you room or stuff like that. Maybe you'll get seats for each other at the stage events, or go sing karaoke late at night. But I prefer to go *alone* in the sense that I am independent and chose for myself what I want to do. If my pals tag along to a panel, or we decide a time and place to meet up for photos, that's cool, but I'd rather not be bound by them. I also find that sticking tightly in a group means I actually DO less stuff. I attend less things and generally just hang around with my amigos.

But it's nice to not eat alone, and have friends to spend time with during downtime.
>>
>>9012640
The less freedom you have in choosing activities and the fewer things you do, the safer you are too...

Its dangerous to go out on your own, you know that right?
>>
Lately I've been going to cons alone since my closest friends are not really interested in going anymore. I usually have acquitances or not so close friends I see at cons, so I'm not feeling lonely. I've also made a shitton of new friends since I'm not sticking the whole con with people I already know. It's also nice that I don't have plan my schedule around others. I'm also super introverted and few hours alone during the con are godsent.
>>
File: explodevilager.gif (920KB, 446x374px) Image search: [Google]
explodevilager.gif
920KB, 446x374px
>>9012610
You fucking heard me.
>>
>>9012684
>tfw introverted but have trouble figuring out what to do on my own
>>
This thread is now the otakon meetup thread. Let's make our own fun because Baltimore is a shit hole.
>>
>>9012686
exactly the same here dude

I get super tired/stressed if i'm out for too long or with too many people, e.g parties, but I often have to go solo at cons as my close friends just aren't into them, and I feel like i'm intruding on my cosplay friends if i sort of tag along with them. If I was doing anything else alone I wouldn't mind, but I feel so lonely at cons. I just want a nice group of people to have fun with...

Though I'm trying my hardest to get closer with my cosplay friends, so just gotta keep it up I guess.
>>
Should I even go to the rave for ACEN this weekend?

I'm by myself and never been to a con or rave before.

I want to check out what I've been missing out on, but all I keep thinking about is how I'm 24 and will be in line with teenagers for hours by myself.
>>
>>9012221
>look at me and all the friends I have
get out
>>
>>9012757
I'm not jelly at all of someone with 3-5 people in their hotel room.
>>
>>9012221
>can afford to only have one or two people in my room instead of the 10+ that my teenaged self might have crammed into a room

I feel this and i don't feel this. I personally can afford to follow the 4 persons to a room rule, butttt i've been room stuffing for so long at this point, it feel weird not to. I kind of like having all of friends in one room. Evn if there are 7+ of us. Bonding and shit.
>>
>>9012748
Con folk are the least threatening people in the world. Wear a cosplay as an ice breaker and go be brave.
>>
>>9012101
Going it alone this year to animazement, not too happy about that but w/e. I usually attempt to click with other cosplayers via photoshoots and chatting with people waiting on the same lines as me (anxiety permitting) Or I just chill with my 3ds in between panels and shoots.

Other then that I'm with my cosfam chilling and things when I go.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463597819455.jpg (14KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463597819455.jpg
14KB, 500x294px
>>9012611
Moshi moshi beito-chan
>>
>>9012101
I have flown solo at cons and it's never as fun as when I'm with my cosfam. Hell I solo'd steampunk world's faire this year and I only had a good time when I ran into a friend of mine and hung out with her for an hour or two.

That being said, I'd still rather solo than room with dramafags. Thankfully I've found a core group of friends that don't start drama at these things and we always have a good time.
>>
I usually only go to conventions where I know I'll see people I'm friendly with but I have solo'd some cons and made friends that way.

Some how it seems like it was way easier to solo a con and meet people back in the teen weeb days. Now I'm mid-20s and it's a lot harder to talk to people I don't know at conventions unless it's asking/being asked for photos.

Still, it's fun to cosplay anyway so as long as I was cosplaying I'd be alright doing a convention by myself and just wandering around but if I was were plain clothes I'd be bored out of my mind and just sit in panel rooms all day.
>>
>>9012794
>Going it alone this year to animazement,
You picked the best con to solo at, my friend. I've been to a bunch of East Coast cons and I have to say AZ is probably the friendliest bunch of people I've ever seen. It's so damn easy to talk with other people that you'll make friends in no time.
>>
If I went to cons alone I'd probably just be stocking to the game room playing street fighter since I'm too terrified of other people to make friends over anything but video games.
>>
>>9012188
where are you from?
>>
>tfw lone lolita at cons
seeing the groups of lolita friends hanging out and shopping together makes me so sad.
I can only go to cons for 1 day now cus it's so depressing
>>
>>9012824
Bedfordshire.
>>
I almost drowned at a con while flying solo and no one was there to help me. Stay in groups!
>>
>>9013078
Drowning in PUSSY, amirite?
>>
Alone. It makes it so much easier to make friends with others.

Only been to 2 cons. Even if i went with someone else i'd probaly ditch them to be alone.
>>
I keep going to cons alone and I regret it almost every time. The first time I went to Dragoncon I had a breakdown because I just couldn't talk to anyone or make friends to hang out with. I cosplay too, which makes me feel even worse. I get compliments on my cosplays and pictures, yet still no one wants to be my friend. Then I get scared to talk to people because I believe I'll fail. It's a terrible cycle...

I still hold out hope though. Usually the /cgl/ meetups have been good since they get me better. Momocon is coming up and at first I didn't want to go but someone wanted to see me for some reason.
>>
>>9013078
>almost drowned at a con

.... How?
>>
>>9012199
Which convention?
>>
>>9012608
You sound like those girls I know who are never single, can't stand being alone.
Why don't you change yourself so you can stand being alone?
>>
>>9012636
It's Otakons last summer in Baltimore, I'd say go in a group if not cosplaying
>>
I'm usually traveling or staying with close friends so we end up walking around a bit together, but I'm pretty much the only one who cosplays out of all of us, so I tend to wander on my own while they hang out in the gaming room or elsewhere. I end up browsing the dealers' room mostly.

Even though I'll be alone I tend to know a lot of people at my local/in-state cons so I'll have little conversations here and there and then we'll go our separate ways.

Honestly, being alone is a hell of a lot nicer than being in a group, but that's coming from someone who doesn't really cosplay in groups so it's with a bunch of normal peeps who tend to want to do all sorts of different things. Even if we don't agree on a place to meet up later, we'll all get back in touch around the late afternoons for dinner, etc.
>>
I go to cons where I have friends. Sometimes I do room shares with people I know, other times I get my own room and appreciate having the space.

There's nothing wrong with going to a con solo, but if your goal is to meet people then you need to be comfortable talking to people, getting blown off, and bouncing back to talk with other people. It's not realistic to expect people to walk up and talk to you, so you've unfortunately got to push forward and use your mutual hobby as a conversation starter.
>>
i frequent a con for a few years now and 3 out of the 6 years i went solo were the worst.

i would go down alone, browse artist alley, take some pictures, but then after that there wasn't much to do. i met up with some friends i only generally get to see at cons but i feel bad for tagging along their group so we only chill for about an hour before i move on.

when i go down with friends i have a lot of fun, because we can part ways throughout the con to see what we wanted to see, and then meet up later and hang out, have food together, etc.

though the times i am alone i usually strike conversation with people i'm waiting in a queue with or whoever is dealing in the artist alley, or when i ask cosplayers for photos. i'm awkward but quite talkative so spaghetti was had but the people who have humoured me and talked back have actually remained good friends.
>>
ive only ever really went to cons with my partner & we actually ended up meeting a lot of nice people! even though we go there together as a pair, after around an hour or so we end up with a fair little group of cool people.

this seems really common tho? I'm in the north of the U.K. so I guess it might be down to the fact most cons we attend are only medium-sized (Newcastle film and comic con is the one we go to most)

I probably couldn't fly solo BC I get wildly anxious alone lmao... Honestly cosplayers who are alone end up being the friendliest thou. Something I noticed is they're totally willing to chat with you or goof around with & it makes me happy to see
>>
I used to go with my older brother, but recently I've been going alone. However my friends often also go separately albeit so we meet up
>>
>>9012101
I sort of like solo cons because I make so many friends at conventions to hang out with at later cons, I have hung out with friends at cons and honestly I hate it because I can't do the shit I want to do to be honest.
>>
I went to MCM in London alone once, and I met this girl on my way to the con and she was really annoying and didn't let me go!
>>
>>9012685
clique
>>
I always try to go with my husband (because I have no friends who are interested in going) but he hates the local cons here. Last time he just left me to go to a bar and then some creepy guy asked me if I came alone and started stalking me the whole time.

That was when I decided to not go to these local cons until we move back stateside. Too many mouthbreathers/sweaty, smelly weebs, no AC, and nothing to do, really.
>>
>>9014614
Literally came to say I'm going MCM London solo next weekend, that sounds like hell. I had a girl stick to me like glue at Hyper Japan once when I went with a friend and I had to try shake her off, it was so awkward, she was really bizarre and gave me a fake name, she was all nervous and shakey and it just weirded me out
>>
File: 1463117657769.jpg (16KB, 253x320px) Image search: [Google]
1463117657769.jpg
16KB, 253x320px
>>9012757
Sorry Im not a friend repellant sperg, anon
>>
>>9014625
Click.
>>
I attend alone pretty regularly. A small con some times I'll hang with a group, but my con style tends to be arrive alone, room with who ever, and move from social group to social group all con or do my own thing when I want a break.

Going alone doesnt mean you have no friends, my problem is more or less if I went specifically with one group I'd feel bad since I dont tend to stick around for long and I'd feel like I was dragging some one around.
>>
Im at acen sitting in my car in the parking lot thinking about just going home. I walked thru the con and went to some panels but everything seems so boring. Christ im so depressed.
>>
>>9014975
There's a meetup tonight
>>9012919
>>
>>9012101
I'm not a fan of anime conventions but I still go to a few with my friend. however, recently she decided that I was weighing her down at the con so she stopped inviting me to go with her. Went to a con alone for the first time a few months ago while she was with some other friends at the same anime convention too...

I realized that going to anime conventions are no fun alone for me. Probably the only reason I go is just to hang out. Without my friend it's just not worth it.
>>
This literally has just come up in my life. There's a con tomorrow and ALL my friends have canceled on me. I'm torn between going and putting that money aside for ILD meets. The meet up is in a huge tourist trap city that has a lot of murders and white women going missing. Also 2 hour drive.

Debating on if I'd have fun by myself and if it's worth the risk.
>>
>>9015603
I meant con* dammit. The meet ups are in well lit and safe places vs hood city con
>>
>>9015603
>Tourist trap with lots of murders
That sounds so bizarre, what city is that?
>>
>>9015646
Tbf that sounds like Baltimore but its not Ota, but that is an example of a tourist trap with a lot of murdrs.
>>
>>9012866
>tfw boyfriend lives in Bedfordshire
I think there are some weebs near your area, I know a few.
>>
>>9015774
Who dat
>>
I went to a con alone a few years ago, stayed in a room with 2 other acquaintances but they had their own plans so I already knew beforehand it was pretty much me alone.

Well it was the last con I've been to since then, because I ended up wandering around with nothing to do for the most part of 3 days. It wasn't horrible but it got pretty boring at times. I'll probably have more fun at a different con and all but in the end I'd just want to have a friend to go to cons with, and I don't have any friends at all.
>>
File: 1456162342403.png (179KB, 527x515px) Image search: [Google]
1456162342403.png
179KB, 527x515px
I don't mind going to cons alone, actually, I prefer it that way. Like, I don't mind traveling with people and rooming with them but, as cold as it sounds, I usually just dump my stuff in the room, and go out on my own.

I usually can make friends where I can just hang out with them for a bit till they get bored of me or I wander off. I have a terrible habit of wandering off since I was a kid so I figured, "Might as well go to anime cons alone".

It's worked out for the most part - I avoid a lot of room drama but I've also done some stupid as fuck shit. Thankfully my virginity (before I met my boyfriend) and my life is in tact.
>>
>>9012811
>>9012811

This is me completely. We may even be the same person, lol.

But I don't cosplay, so I -am- that guy in plain clothes going to panels being bored all day.

This is even worse because I moved far away from where I grew up, so people I already knew from before I have a 0% chance of seeing.
>>
I usually go with friends, but we usually don't stay in a large group for the whole day and split up for panels and events we actually want to go to. Through out the day we will meet up and split again and pick up other people and lose others. I find that having friends with me gives me confidence to make friends with other people and since most of the cons I go to are pretty large it gives me line buddies.
>>
I'm so lonely at the cons... I use to have friends who liked anime and would go with me but now all my friends are non-weebs. Feels lonely going alone.
>>
>>9014741
You're not changing a channel asshole, it's fucking french.
>>
>>9016822
I know what I said.
>>
>>9012866
There's a shit ton of weebs in Bedfordshire, half the Toko crew lives in Milton Keynes. Go to Tokonatsu or the Toko christmas event, you'll meet loads of locals.
>>
>>9016868
None of them like anime. It's odd.
>>
Honestly I have the most fun when I'm by myself! I'm a real extrovert and I love talking to people, but I can get a bit irritable walking around at someone else's pace, lol.
After years of going with cousins, my sister, or just friends I started going to cons by myself and meeting up with friends there for lunch or whatever and looking around the dealer's hall or what have you by myself. I like going to panels with friends, however! But it's a nice way to meet people and also to get a look at what you actually like rather than having to adjust to what your friends want... and in that you waste less time! (as selfish as that sounds)
>>
>got bullied at a con
>no backup
>never flying solo again
>>
File: to_lie_down.png (1MB, 1000x702px) Image search: [Google]
to_lie_down.png
1MB, 1000x702px
I haven't gone to a convention in years but I feel kind of upset that I have no friends to weeb out with. I bought a ticket to the NYC Miku concert this Saturday and my life's been so chaotic with working almost nonstop the last couple weeks that I just need the weekend to have a little bit of me-time. BUT I also feel like shit because I'm going alone. There's bound to be tons of other weebfolk there but it's going to be really hard to try to talk to anyone.

I used to think that going alone would be a better thing to do but now I just feel like a depressed dweeb.
>>
>>9019618
you could check out the facebook page for the event and post on that.
>>
>>9019532
how old were u?
>>
I think the worst thing that can happen to anyone going solo (or not) is being stalked by a autistic-barnacle-predator.
Once you make eye contact and acknowledge something he is into and likes - he will be on you like the face suckers from aliens.
The barnacle may be shoved away once you flee, but he will track you down once he catches his breathe and rants more weaboo crap out of every orifice.
Whether you are alone or obviously in a group this predator has his sights on you, focusing oh so closer as to get your number or ask you out once you are ever away from your "real" friends lol.

I've seen this happen, sometimes the group I'm with would just tolerate the guy and just try our best to avoid eye-contact or replies - which seems the best wall of defense.
>>
i go to cons with my boyfriend, but we'll do things separately throughout the day (he'll do gaming stuff, i'll do cosplay things) and meet up to wander around/eat/whatever. i like going with him because dudes in my city are especially creepy/persistent, i've had a few latch on to me and refuse to be shaken off until i find my boyfriend again.

i'd like to make a group of cosplay friends though, i've just got no idea how because it seems so cliquey and there's definitely a big divide between the skilled cosplayers and the not-so-skilled ones.
>>
File: 1447630777145.jpg (358KB, 817x818px) Image search: [Google]
1447630777145.jpg
358KB, 817x818px
>>9014614
>>9014639
you fucked up she wanted D
>>
>>9012188
>tfw you knew no one in your area into remotely geeky crap

Kinda feel out of the loop
>>
I usually try to go with friends but my friends are normie as fuck and I wanna make friends with some weirdos, maybe flirt with some people

I might get a little drunk to get some confidence in myself
>>
>>9025937
>ktf

Kinda late for me to make weirdo friends as a 26 yo dude.
>>
I move around alot, so I try to make friends at the local con. Then go with them to a con that requires a road trip and hotel stay. It doesn't always work as people's circle of friends are from school. But if you maintain a circle of friends that you wouldn't mind sharing a room with, it can save alot of money over the years.
>>
I've been to a fair amount of cons with and without friends. However the most fun I ever had at a con was one where I went alone - I was really scared and I'm terrible in social situations but I met and had a really fun time with people at panels, photoshoots etc. I never kept in touch with any of the people I met sadly, but it was still definitely one of the most fun events I've been to.
>>
I prefer solo cons because I'm not constrained by people. Not necessarily shitty people but with other people involved, I feel whoever is less sociable would become a burden. This is only a problem if the point of going if for meeting new people over enjoying the overall con. My friends get tired easily and can't enjoy a rave without being on multiple drugs. That probably contributed to me preferring soloing cons.
>>
>>9012188
I KNOW THE FIRST THREE NUMBERS
>>
I'm thinking of going to Otakon this year since it's the last year it will be in Baltimore. I haven't been to a con in almost 5 years and I feel like it would be really fun to just go one last time. No one is intersted in going with me though, so if I went, it would be by myself. I'm kind of not really upset by this? I just want to cosplay something and wander around, maybe chat with some people about stuff. On one hand it seems kind of lonely but on the other idk, there's something a bit appealing about it. I'm still on the fence about going though.
>>
>>9012108
same
>>
I went to one day of a con alone and attended all the panels I wanted to. I went a second day with a friend and we spent all day in the dealers room and I missed the panels I wanted to see, then we left early. I still had fun regardless but sometimes it's nice to be able to be more independent when you're there.
>>
>>9012101
I have no friends close enough for me to actually invite them or anything.

Went to a local cons not too long ago. Had fun going around looking at stuff.

They also had a MTG tournament which was fun to watch as well.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.