[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it acceptable to cosplay as a character you created, be it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: waulual.png (69KB, 386x535px) Image search: [Google]
waulual.png
69KB, 386x535px
Is it acceptable to cosplay as a character you created, be it an OC from an original work or something you made up from a fandom? Do people even care? Have you done it before?
>>
It's okay, but don't expect anyone to give a fuck who you are.
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 960x1440px
>>8997610
I think so- however, I would personally never wear an OC cosplay to a convention. I think they're best saved for photoshoots.

And obviously you have to be prepared for nobody to care about all the work you put into it unless you're already cos famous or something.

(Pic related, Ely cosplays's OC)
>>
We've had OC cosplay threads in the past, but they're generally not too popular.

It's not a yes or no thing, it depends on the design and presentation.

Nicely designed OCs are generally well received, just wearing a generic uniform (like people do with Shitgeki no Kyojin OCs) or sparkleweeb OCs are generally laughed at. Throwing on plainclothes and claiming to be an OC is also pretty lame.
>>
>>8997610
Generally my characters are generic enough, but I have done both, as a Plague Doctor and a Techpriest. Most people don't care, as long as you're not a dick. But if you cosplay as your super special Donut Steel, expect to be given shit.

Cosplaying your own is Autistic, Cosplaying someone else's (A'la Sonichu) is allegedly hilarious. In both cases, it's best to be subtle.
>>
Don't expect asspats and you're gtg.
>>
File: moondragon-official1-web.jpg (191KB, 890x1335px) Image search: [Google]
moondragon-official1-web.jpg
191KB, 890x1335px
People generally don't give a shit unless it's a really cool concept like the Moondragon here or it's more of a costume-centered convention like Anime North or Costume Con. A lot of contests have categories for original designs, but it's usually there for historical or steampunk costumes that are hard to compare to anime and vidya based on existing sources.

>made up from a fandom
Unless you really want to live out a self insert fantasy don't bother. No one gives a shit about OCs. Back in the day I saw many people jsut wearing Hottopic clothes, fishnets and Naruto headbands and calling it an original Naruto character. Dude version was always trenchcoat, sunglasses and headband. A handful of Bleach OC shinigami too with random wigs and accessories on the black uniform.
>>
>>8997610
Nobody's gonna recognize you. Nevertheless, I plan to cosplay my UTAU alongside my best friend who's cosplaying hers.
>>
Here in the Netherlands it's actually a pretty common thing that people wear oc/non character costumes to fantasy fair events as long as they can fit that theme. 9/10 costumes are not from from original sources and everyone still gets tons of pictures taken. By far the best place here to wear OC costumes to.
>>
>>8997610
I've done it at an anime convention before. No one cared. Some people liked the outfit, and that was pretty much it.
>>
>>8997610

>Is it acceptable to cosplay as a character you created, be it an OC from an original work or something you made up from a fandom?

Yes, long as it follows con rules, why the hell not.

>Do people even care?

Eh, unless it's super detailed and looks cool, not really lmao.

>Have you done it before?

Yup, during a small convention in nyc and a hetalia cosplay meetup. People thought it was kinda cool and only got my pic taken at the con once and a couple times at the meetup.
>>
Don't expect any sort of attention unless everyone else is dressed like shit, particularly i wore something utterly dumb and effortless but i got like 5 or 7 people asking me if i was from some game or series.

So i guess is a luck thing. Just have fun.
>>
>>8997684
I know this is off-topic, but what language(s) do(es) your UTAU sing in? I was looking at Cz's VCCV method for making an English voicebank and it seems really neat, but a lot of work must go into it.
>>
>>8997610
Expect a lot of 'what are you (from)' if people show interest.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.