[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Body paint general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 24

File: dutch darth talon.jpg (171KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
dutch darth talon.jpg
171KB, 960x960px
Have you done a cosplay with body paint? How'd it turn out? What did you use?
>>
>>8975176
dumping some that I have
>>
>>8975178
>>
File: leto joker.jpg (103KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
leto joker.jpg
103KB, 960x960px
>>8975180
>>
Probably a dumb question but a Google search isn't turning up anything helpful
Is white alcohol activated paint opaque enough if I want to paint my skin white? It seems like a good option for shironuri if it is because I'm tired of getting setting powder and grease paint in the clothes I wear with my coords (and I prefer the style where all exposed skin is covered/painted white, so I usually go with high neck blouses)
Also my skin is pretty oily. This won't affect it, will it?
>>
File: deadpool.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
deadpool.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
>>8975182
>>
>>8975183
I would not do alcohol activated make-up on your face. Putting alcohol on your face is pretty drying and taking it off will be a bitch.

But in theory you could layer it enough that you'd get an opaque white face. You'll still have some transfer though. Have you tried using water activated cake make-up with Ben Nye's Final Seal?
>>
>>8975184
>>
>>8975188
I haven't been able to get as opaque of a surface with water based paints, hence the grease paint.
>>
>>8975193
>>
>>8975195
In my experience alcohol activated has been equal to cake (maybe a little bit more transparent) but I haven't tried every kind of make-up out there. What make-up have you tried?
>>
File: 306322_2343842872843_978388_n.jpg (59KB, 642x960px) Image search: [Google]
306322_2343842872843_978388_n.jpg
59KB, 642x960px
>>8975197
>>
>>8975201
Aaaand that's all I've got.
>>
>>8975205
Wait. I lied.
>>
>>8975195
Which brand were you using? The Ben Nye is superior for whites, Mehron Paradise is superior for practically every other color.
>>
Pro makeup artist here. Basic body painting shit.

God tier - Pax paint. Make your own with liquid paint (skin safe) and no tack prosaide. Will stay on all day. Opaque. Hard to remove tho.

Mid tier - Airbrushing. Use silicone or alcohol paints diluted with ben nye final seal and you'll be good to go. Extreme sweating will make it patchy but alcohol paints are waterproof. Fast and easy with a lovely finish but airbrush etc are expensive obvs.

Shit tier - Water based paint. Get either mehron paradise paints or ben nye. If you go anywhere near snazaroo just fucking leave and don't come back.

Don't even touch it tier - cream based paints/grease paints. Don't need to explain why,
>>
>>8975183
Airbrushing silicone based airbrush paint would be best for you.
>>
>>8975300
I'm probably going to have to make my own paint since no company makes the exact color I need (weird fuckin shade or purple, gotta match it to some tights) and I don't want to blow a ton of money on shades that are wrong trying to test them out.
What paint brand do you usually use to make your own with? What about sealing it?
>>
>>8975188
Don't use waterbase for white. Look into clown white by kryolan and then a white loose setting powder.
>>
>>8975300
Not to get into a pissing on test here, but I work as a professional face painter some of your advice just isn't true. Water based paints are used by professional body painters all over the world. Mehron and Ben Nye are used by theater folks but body painters also use Kryolan, Wolfe, Graftobian, TAG and -gasp- even Snaz.

PAX is great but most recipes call for acrylic paint, which definitely isn't skin safe.

Cream make-up has its place, and while it's not the best for a full body paint job, it's perfectly suited for something like Harley Quinn or other white faced characters.
>>
>>8975401
Yeah seconding this. I work at a theatrical makeup shop and our clientele consists of drag queens, theatrical makeup artists and professional body painters. All the body painters who don't airbrush swear by Kryolan and Wolfe.
But a lot of them do use Mehron Paradise as well for certain colors:

The only people who use Ben Nye are people who are name loyal because they know them from their powders and foundations/ theatrical applications.
>>
>>8975444
Do you paint as well?
>>
>>8975451
When a cosplay calls for it, I don't go to parties or paint people up for events/festivals like a lot of our clients at the shop do. The only makeup I do semi-professionally is drag transformations.
>>
>>8975486
Damn that's a neat niche market! Got any pics?
>>
Any airbrush recommmendations? I'm so sick of sponging my entire body.
>>
>>8975490
Set ups or paints?
>>
>>8975496
Set ups
>>
>>8975498
I hear Iwatas get recommended a lot. I have had a chance to play with many though
>>
>>8975505
I use Iwata, love them. I worked for a makeup artist a few years back who used KETT's set up which is nice, but it has such a narrow spray field when doing body I preferred my Iwata.
>>
>>8975487
I wish I had some that I could share of queens, but I don't have permission from anyone and some of them are cosplayers so I don't want to have it come back to bite me that I shared pics on cgl without permission.
>>
So for someone that has never bodypainted before what would you recommend for something similar to >>8975176 and >>8975193 on the left? I want to cosplay a Castanic from Tera Online so it would be more of a red-brown tan and dark brown markings but I don't want to be accused of blackfacing or something... Would it be better to skip the body paint and be a little inaccurate and less of a hassle?
>>
>>8975547
I understand. Still cool!
>>
>>8975300
You can't use PAX on faces, you doof. Any cosplayer would need this.
>>
>>8975831
They aren't pro it's completely obvious. I love how people here claim to be pro then post stupid shit contradicting how it's actually done.
>>
>>8975320
Look into liquid paints (I've used Proaiir before) and mix it yourself.
>>
>>8975183
Not a good idea. What I do is Ben Nye magic cake mixed with liquid set applied with a coral sponge. I apply once for all over cover then again for the best opaque cover. I set with translucent powder first let dry then deal with liquid set spray. This technique is used in a lot of haunted houses for long wear. The last time I wore mine it was for 7 hours and it still looked good.
>>
File: shiro makeup.jpg (54KB, 662x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shiro makeup.jpg
54KB, 662x1000px
>>8976130
Seen here
>>
>>8975956
Lol I am a pro with 8 years experience in the film industry. You can use PAX on heads. Just don't shove your sponge in your fucking eye
>>
>>8975401
Ok but we're talking about for cosplay though. Body painting for events is done, photos taken, then washed off. For cosplay you need something with endurance that isn't going to sweat off after 9 hours of wear.
>>
>>8976130
I need to paint about half of my upper body black, but i'd like it if it were possible to keep it from destroying the shirt i'll have to wear on the con floor.
Would ben nye with some sort of sealant on top keep it from rubbing off?
Completely new to bodypaint.
>>
File: majin buub.webm (3MB, 828x790px) Image search: [Google]
majin buub.webm
3MB, 828x790px
>>
File: daily dass.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
daily dass.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: 1406267541097.webm (3MB, 889x500px) Image search: [Google]
1406267541097.webm
3MB, 889x500px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 6130472777_3a80670d3e_o.jpg (714KB, 2004x2363px) Image search: [Google]
6130472777_3a80670d3e_o.jpg
714KB, 2004x2363px
>>
>>8976187
Unfortunately no. For clothing to not be effected (as badly) I would suggest air pushing. But yes this can work, I would suggest testing first. You have to perfect the cake to liquid set ratio. For that much you will also need a friend to do it for you so do test runs with that person. I was thinking of making a tutorial video on this. If I do I'll link it here.
>>
>>
>>8976211
Sorry I was posting this from my phone so that sounds really weird. Yes it can work with the right mix but I would suggest air brushing.
>>
>>8976211
Thanks, I've been thinking about doing a test run with ben nye's final seal spray.

The shirt is luckily nothing special, an easily replaceable white colored shirt so it's not the end of the world. Would be nice to keep the ruboff small enough that the shirt is at least washable though!
>>
>>8976213
The Air brush would be nice, but that's a bit out of budget right now as all the sets i've seen are $100+
>>
>>8975180
Pls lift
>>
>>8976217
I've used final seal and powder as an extra and gotten some paint on white fabric i was wearing, but it all came out in the wash
>>
>>8976329
Sounds good, thanks!
>>
>>8976167
How have you PAXed faces without getting the paint to wrinkle like a bitch? I can never get PAX to even stay on my fingertips because of the movement, and every guide I've ever read says to avoid this.

>>8976170
Waterbased and creambased bodypaint is the most common stuff used among cosplayers. I wouldn't do it if you're painting your entire upper body, but you guys are seriously trying to reinvent the wheel here.
>>
Any opinions on Mehron Paradise AQ?
>>
>>8976419
Mehron is great.
>>
>>8976419
It smells really nice.
>>
>>8976368
I just don't use it right by the mouth or eyes. I don't really know I've never had a problem with it wrinkling ever.
>>
Has anyone tried the neo imata series of airbrushes?
>>
Are there cosplays other than Homestuck that have gray skin? Thats my fetish.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 640x640px
>>8977160
Black and white characters like betty boop? This girl did the original bruce timm design of harley in greyscale
>>
>>8977179
Thats actually a really cool idea. I never seen someone actually cosplay a grayscaled character.
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 500x750px
>>8977160
Why would you need anything other than Homestuck?
>>
>>8977347
My friend and I once were going to cosplay as Lucy and Ricky from I Love Lucy and do greyscale makeup, but we never got past the planning stages.
>>
>>8976368
Ah damn, I was really betting on using PAX for my face since it's such a specific shade. There's no way to use it on the face without it going wrong? Around my eyes I was going to use white face paint and not PAX, but around my mouth it would have been.
>>
File: moonbeam city.png (446KB, 732x400px) Image search: [Google]
moonbeam city.png
446KB, 732x400px
I have this pipe dream of cosplaying a Patrick Nagel character. No one in particular, I just gotta have the cocaine white featureless skin and stylish 80's clothes.

Some day...
>>
>>8977495
>>8977495
The skin on your face isn't as strong as your skin, you have to be gentle and pax requires a lot of scrubbing
>>
>>8977160
Iron bull from dragon age.
>>
>>8977702
Good point, I guess I was hoping I could use a strong remover without having to scrub my skin off.
>>
>>8977495
>>8980151
You can do whatever you want to your own face. The skin near your mouth and eyes are more likely to get irritated. There isn't a "strong remover" for PAX because it literally contains acrylic paint. You have scrub to get that off because the only thing that will remove it something like nail polish remover (please don't use nail polish remover on your face.)
>>
>>8977608
I'd like some feedback as to whether or not this is a good idea.
I have only worked with body paint once before (Kryolan on the face/neck/hands and PAX everywhere else.
>>
File: iwata.jpg (226KB, 800x479px) Image search: [Google]
iwata.jpg
226KB, 800x479px
I just got the ProAiir Hybrid Intro Kit with Iwata Neo CN Airbrush & Ninja Jet Compressor. Any suggestions before I start using it?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.