[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thermoplastics - Thibra vs Worbla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: PhotoGrid_1454547183198_original.png (648KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1454547183198_original.png
648KB, 1024x1024px
Arda Wigs dropped their worbla products and is selling a new smooth thermoplastic called thibra. There's not a lot of reviews out yet, but what do you think, seagulls? Will this be the new go-to for armor and props? Will worbla come out with a smoother line to compete?
>>
only thing that matters to me is the price.
>>
File: example_06.jpg (65KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
example_06.jpg
65KB, 800x800px
Doesn't look very smooth to me. What's up with these studios trying to come up with a thermoplastic that's just worbla in a different colour and try to claim it's smoother than the previous product? I'm sorry, but having 2% less texture isn't "smooth", it's still grainy as fuck.
>>
I like how they said they'd take preorders until the 18th but are "sold out". How the fuck do you sell out of preorders. How the hell is Arda the game to beat in terms of American companies and yet they still manage their stock like three collge kids selling out of their apartment.
>>
File: image.png (71KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
71KB, 350x350px
>>8968399
I'm going to assume that the demand for the product was greater then their stock. Going off of Thibras website it's another European company & arda will just be allowed to sell their product.

>>8968325
The examples off of their official site aren't that nice. The stuff on the fb page looks better. Even this looks nicer. I would like to try it out personally if it's cheep enough
>>
>>8968273
>Will worbla come out with a smoother line to compete?

I don't know about a new line but it seems pretty suspect that Worbla started running a contest right when Arda announced Thibra.
>>
I have a small sheet ordered, will report back whenever it gets here.
>>
Arda posted their own review. It's only good purpose seems to be sculpting with it.

youtu.be/UrO2BcQ6Alw
>>
>>8968896
>Worbla started running a contest
>TFW you're pretty good with worbla

Got a link?
>>
>>8968281
This. I'm not shelling out an arm and a leg for one material.
>>
>>8969486
http://www.worbla.com/?page_id=5862

It's for their transpart, not original worbla. DESU some of these submissions are terrible.
>>
>>8969624
What's the best material price/quality wise?
>>
I ordered the smallest size from arda. I'll report back about it!
>>
>>8968896

Hm, interesting. Looks a lot like apoxie sculpt (visually). Seems like it'd be better as a surface layer than something structural though (well, assuming it sands well).
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 800x789px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 800x789px
I went to a panel held by the person who made the Dark Crystal Skeksis costume.

She was recommending medical grade or orthopedic thermoplastic over worbla because it already comes very smooth and comes in a lot of colors. It was originally designed for forming splints.

It costs the same as worbla. However, if you were making a sci-fi armor costume that calls for a lot of smooth panels and solid colors, the medical thermoplastic is vastly cheaper because you'd avoid the sanding, priming, painting, sealing process that worbla requires.

It all depends on application.
>>
>>8969767
i used this almost 20 years ago. my orthopedist gave me some samples and it's my favorite thermoplastic
>>
>>8969972
Where can you buy it?
>>
>>8970091
I'd also like to know.

Also, what's the BEST method for worbla swords? Just make the sword from craft foam and heat-gun worbla sheets to it?
>>
>>8971010
You'll want a hard core if some sort, and balance it so it'll handle right.
Possibly a foam core board base, covered by craft foam.
>>
>>8969767

Do the holes disappear when it's heated?
>>
>>8968273
As long as I can heat it up in an enclosed area
>>
File: lindsay1.jpg (197KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lindsay1.jpg
197KB, 1000x1000px
>>8969699
Oh my god.
>>
>>8970091
>>8971010
I don't know; I never tried this stuff myself. I am just passing along some information that a professional suggested.

If you do some google searches for "orthopedic thermoplastic" you can find a lot of suppliers. Locally, any place that does physical therapy and broken bone repair will probably have a large source, as well as scraps they just want to get rid of.

>>8972804
The perforations don't disappear. You have to purchase the solid version.
>>
So I am a student of improvisation and do my best to make cosplays out of materials on hand and cheaper alternatives to the price gouged stuff online these days.

Question: Want to try making some armor without the traditional worbla/wonderflex/ect. Probably heading to home depot. Are there any plastic siding/sheets that respond well to heat guns? I mean the typical shaping of pvc is pretty easy but im looking for large quantities for a set of armor. Anyone know of anything in particular I should be going for?
>>
Worblapie - How to make your own worbla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQf3Ry-_prE

I thought this had spread enough to be common knowledge soon. The guy has several videos on his discovery.
>>
>>8973099
"Student of improvisation" is the most phenomenally neckbeard-y way of saying you're broke.
>>
>>8973161
yeeeeeeeeeah I'd rather pay $80 for a large sheet then spend 2 days of labor making hand-sized splats and trying to cobble them together. The only thing you'd be saving is money, you'd be wasting time and have an inferior product.

Interesting video tho.
>>
>>8978628
Yup, price isn't just for the materials, it's the convenience, ultimately.
>>
>>8978628
In his second video he explains how to be able to make them more than hand sized, and compares the products to his creation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NkUn86WZYE

If one's not up for another 16 minutes of scandinavian nerd here's his own split up of the video (and my translation because he's not so clear in those titles).
01:09 - Pigmenting your pie (Colors)
04:40 - Metal in Worblapie (Magnetize your shit)
05:24 - The texture of pie (Him playing around with his flour based product)
08:46 - Kingsizing your sheets (No comment needed)
10:31 - The glue side of things (How to replicate the glue side regular worbla has)
12:20 - The good, the bad and the pie (Him comparing the products)
>>
Is it possible to smooth Worbla before shaping it? I am trying to do something similar to covering a piece of foam with a large piece of Worbla method and was wondering if I could take a rotary sander to the bumpy surface without fucking up the integrity of the sheet.
>>
>>8984123
this might seem like a stupid concern, but theoretically wouldn't heat from the friction be enough to potentially soften the thermoplastic?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.