[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A-Kon Anime Convention

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 15

File: akon2.png (57KB, 1500x1636px) Image search: [Google]
akon2.png
57KB, 1500x1636px
Haven't seen one yet and the conventions coming up relatively soon.

General discussion thread for Project A-Kon
>>
>>8951393
I think we haven't had a thread mainly because we've just been talking about any A-Kon stuff in the Texas general thread. But hell, that ones close to auto-sage, so why not! How about some fun questions to get the thread rolling?
>How fucked are you with you cosplay as we approach the "not quite panic mode but I kinda fucked up and put this off" one month out milestone?
>How much do you plan to drink this year?
>Do you think there being an actual tea party and j-fashion track is going to be fun or a hot mess?
>Have they improved their guest selection?
>What do you make of the cosplay contest upping the quality of their rules?
>How much are your thighs looking forward to walking back and forth across the Anatole several times a day?
>>
>>8951483
Oh and the standard questions:
>What are you wearing and what days?
>What programming are you attending?
>Will we have a gull meetup and would you want to attend?
>>
I'm planning on drinking a lot. I haven't looked at the guest thread too much but I'm excited for Steam Powered Giraffe. Saw them at RealmsCon two years ago and it was pretty fun. Kinda want to hit the masquerade too, but I doubt the boyfriend will be up for it.
>>
>>8951526
I keep forgetting that SPG is going to be there, but every time I remember it's just kinda "oh... Yeah." Me in 2013 would have been hella excited, do still love their music, I just, I dunno......
>>
>>8951526
I kind of want to see them just to see what the fuss is about? I've heard a few people compare them to The Protomen and I do love the Protomen, so...
>>
A-Kon anon staff promised someone big from Japan concerning Lolita to be announced this week but then nothing showed up. All I'm seeing are a couple indies to be in the dealer room. Whoo. Put up or shut up.
>>
Who else here ended up in a hotel out in the hinterlands?
>>
>>8953453

My guess is the guest cancelled or something else went wrong.
>>
>>8953642
They wanted us to believe they could deliver. A-Kon can only deliver empty promises and disappointment. It's their trademark.
>>
>>8953669

I can't disagree with you to be honest, but after staffing a lot of cons myself and knowing stupid things happen regarding guests, I'm leaning toward something outside of akon's control.

Of course there is the possibility that you're completely right.
>>
>>8953796
History proves they'd rather book authors no one cares about except the people who book them over delivering what people want to see. The guest list is full of so much filler no names it'd might as call it self NA-urtokon.
>>
>that feel when I got a hotel at the con again because a room opened

Feels fucking delicious.
>>
>>8953868

This will happen closer to con. If you want a room at the con, call each day. People cancel all the time.
>>
>>8953453
After the disaster with the fashion show a few years back, I'm surprised anyone actually thought something would go right. I'm sure lolita designers aren't BFFs with each other or anything, but word probably gets around about what cons not to go to.
>>
>>8953453

But they hinted that it wasn't even a full lolita guest, but someone within the J-fashion sphere? It seemed very much like they had gotten a non-lolita J-fash guest and would try to pass it off as lolita, so I'm guessing it's something like shironuri. The way the anon was talking in the Texas thread was like they were staff, so I'm definitely curious if this J-fashion guest is still happening at all and when they'll actually announce.

Does anyone know if the fashion show this year will feature the indie designers they've brought in? I'm presuming it is, but you never know.
>>
File: akon.jpg (348KB, 1110x1253px) Image search: [Google]
akon.jpg
348KB, 1110x1253px
>>Have they improved their guest selection?
I'm personally excited to see Elffi, Nipahdubs, and Vampy Bit Me. There are a few on there that I've never heard of though.
>>
>>8954173
Why do they need 12 cosplay guests? Why do they book 12 cosplayers, several stream punks, authors, a few actual VAs and NO Japanese talent?

Akon, you are the biggest show in TX and the longest running in the country. ACT LIKE IT.
>>
>>8954670

It does seem like there's a lot, but doesn't AM bring in about the same?

At least Yaya isn't a judge. I'm actually impressed with who's judging. It makes me feel a little better about the contest.
>>
>>8954741
>using AM as any kind of indication as to what you should be doing

AM had too many cosplay guests too, and they all judged the contest. It's a clusterfuck
>>
>>8954813

But not all of the cosplay guests are judges. I'm pretty sure some cosplay guests are just eye candy for neckbeards and fangirls.
>>
>>8954670
I'm guess cosplay guests are the easiest to book; no going through agencies and they probably don't ask for as much money as much as VAs or Bands or Japanese guests coming from overseas.
>>
>>8955054

No some ask for insane amount of money to appear at a con, more than many voice actors. Nigri is a good example.
>>
>>8954670
Several of these people are from Texas so perhaps Akon booked them in order to have more cosplay guests at a lower cost (no cost of flying them out).

I know Nipah, Carl and I think Velours and Princess Mentality are all TX.
Malinda and Ex-Shadow used to be in the area (Oklahoma I think? but the moved to work with Arda Wigs) but they might have already been planning to attend since Arda is going to have a booth this year (or maybe Arda is getting a booth thanks to these two being invited as guests?).

Just personal speculation here.
>>
What's good to eat in the area? I'm already planning on bringing food for my hotel but I'm trying to plan out how much I'm going to need to bring.
>>
>>8955780
Within walking distance?
There's a Denny's but it's always packed, there's a decent barbecue place down the street, but it's really small and they usually have pretty alright food trucks around the hotel, plus you can always order a pizza or something.
>>
>>8954001
Nice guess, anon! It was a shironuri guest (Minori) after all. Shironuri always struck me as a fad like dolly kei ended up neing as opposed to a permanent style, but it's very pretty nonetheless.
>>
>>8957125

The facbeook group says shes a guest at the tea party. Anyone know if this is true? No offence but I don't trust tumblr. She's not listed on the website.
>>
>>8957182
She is. The staff is confirming it on facebook.
>>
>>8955852

West - Go around 1 long block from the Hilton and there's a 7/11, Taco Cabana, little further and there's some Tex-Mex joint and a Whataburger.

East - World Market Center has a starbucks. Then, past the Denny's - Pakpao Thai; then around 3 or 4 craft-beer/American-food bar joints.

Sadly there really isn't much. Denny's also runs out of stuff on day 1 every year and can't seem to realize to stock up that week.
>>
>>8957125

I mean, congrats A-kon on getting a Japanese guest for once, and I know it's a "J-fashion" track and not purely lolita, but I'm a bit disappointed. Still feels like they're trying to shoe-horn her and shironuri into lolita and we haven't heard much programming that's beyond lolita things. I guess I'm more excited about the indie designers than Minori, especially since it's not like this is Minori's first Texas con.

>>8955780

There are always food trucks that come out to the Anatole, too. They're going to be closer to $10 for food and the lines can get long, but it's more convenient than the A-kon food court. There's also a cafeteria style sandwich place inside the hotel that is decent for what it is. Prices are a bit inflated, but sometimes I just really want a sandwich.
>>
>>8957227
I don't think she was shoehorned in, but I also am really glad they got her. It helps open it up to just not lolita, and I was a little disappointed when I didn't see any non-lolita guests. It's good that it opens it up.
>>
I may be interested in letting someone stay in my Anatole room for $50 to $75 or whatever people find acceptable. It's just me and my girlfriend fronting the whole $400+ right now. I'm not sure if there's a couch in the one queen room you could sleep on, or whether you'd need a sleeping bag or something.

Either way, if I end up following through its a not-super-expensive means of staying in the Anatole, right?
>>
shits getting expensive.
>>
>>8957344
Now I'm really happy I don't have to buy badges...
>>
>>8957344

Buy your pass early or volunteer. Cuts the price significantly. Or run panels which is another option.
>>
>>8957344

There's a Groupon deal going on right now, but I think it will close soon. Drops the price for a weekend pass go $55 and staff confirmed it's legit. You can use the coupon code "welcome" to get an additional $10 off making the total weekend pass $45.
>>
Come for the swap meet, stay for the swap meet.
>>
>>8958182
you said it was confirmed to be legit, but where did they confirm it? did they say anything on the facebook page or on twitter?
>>
>>8958647
It's supposed to be going on for both Saturday and Sunday this year, so you'll be staying for a while.
>>
>>8958661

Facebook group.
>>
>>8951487
> Poe Dameron
> Han Solo
> Jerome Valeska

> No plans as far as programming, mainly just going with friends and fucking off

> I'm scared of people here, probably not.
>>
>>8958182
too late bro
>>
>>8958691
Anon you're making me regret not bringing any of my Star Wars cosplays.
>>
>>8958881

Groupon says there are two days left so there's still time?
>>
>>8959237
already bought all that shit
>>
>>8957970
I'm running two panel and getting three free badges out of it (for my copanelists). If you're a good speaker that can hold a crowd's attention for an hour, hosting even one panel at virtually any convention is a sure fire way for free tickets which is awesome.
>>
>>8959327

What panels are you running?
>>
They just posted about the fashion on their fb page
>>
>>8960700
Fashion show*
>>
File: 1454368511950.png (220KB, 450x690px) Image search: [Google]
1454368511950.png
220KB, 450x690px
have attended A-kon since 2012, and this is my first year doing cosplay. What's generally the best day for cosplay?

pic related
>>
>>8959398
Closet Cosplay 101 and an 18+ Cult Movies panel I've done the past four years at San Japan.
>>
Fuck, man. My friends and I decided to go to San Japan but last minute they changed their minds and wanna go to Akon with no hotel. They plan on going by train which sounds horrible inconvenient. Would it be worth it to go to Akon this year or just skip it and find someone to go to SJ with?
>>
>>8960727
Saturday by far. I believe that's the same day as the cosplay show, too, so you'll get to see lots of great costumes.

>>8960748
I think a day pass would still be worth it. You won't even have to worry about the hotel if it's just for the day. I'm going to recommend Saturday for this since it's the bigest day.

Who AA here?
>>
>>8960748

Depends on what you want to see or do. There seems to be some new events this year at least with fashion and I think more panels than previous years.

Akon is pretty busy, but a day trip is doable. You may just miss certain events.
>>
>>8960700
Im on the fence about applying as a model because of the way some anons have described A-Kons previous fashion shows...
>>
>>8961885

I wouldn't worry so much. Im pretty sure it's completely new people running it who actually wear the fashion. The previous person in charge had no idea what they were doing.
>>
>>8960938
I want to wear a really cumbersome cosplay and have fun wandering around the dealers room and artist's alley. I've never been on the public transport around Dallas so I'm not sure how well that would work.
>>
>>8961885
What happened with the last fashion shows, anon?
>>
>>8961885
The fashion show getting fucked up was the models' fault sooo
>>
>>8963656

So you think it'll be any better with the self entry category? It's still going to be a hot mess.
>>
>>8963679

I would say it depends on how picky they when choosing models. If they allow whoever then yes it will be a hot mess. If they try to have some level of quality, then it might not be as much a hot mess.
>>
>>8954741
Who cares??
>>
Anyone else got any deets about the water feature drama. I heard about it from a friend but apparently photoshoot admins were getting emails saying that a whole bunch of outdoor locations might be closed off because the water feature won't be finished.
>>
>>8968312

The water feature will not be finished in time for A-kon! As such, the Anatole is not sure if the gardens will be available for the convention due to construction and whatnot. They sent out back-up locations for photoshoots just in case but won't know for sure until 1-2 weeks prior.
>>
>>8968312
That's gonna be fun.

Also I am the worst and have been procrastinating so much on my costumes for myself and my group. Weirdly, the con feels like it's should be much further away.
>>
Well I bit the bullet and applied for the show. Here's hoping this doesn't suck.
>>
>>8960738
18+ Cult Movies sounds fucking awesome. I'll be there for Doll AKon, but I will go to this one.
>>
>>8971577
I completely agree. I've been putting off ventilating a wig. I keep feeling like I should have time, but the con is really only in a few weeks.
>>
>>8968312
Yeah, a bunch of my photoshoot groups were having to re-locate because a lot of the area is going to be closed off. You'd think they would have had plenty of time to do this shit. Then again, I'm not really aware of how big/extravagant the water features are going to be.
>>
I asked this in the Texas thread but it sunk before I could tell if there has been a reply or not so I'll ask here: Is it too late to refund my pass? After some recent events, my life is gonna be a clusterfuck for the next few months, and idk if I can still go to A-Kon this year as a result. I tried looking on the website, but couldn't find anything about when the last day to refund a pass is.
>>
>>8973376

I think it's usually May 1st. Look up the registration/membership email and that should be who to contact. Worst case, ask Tumblr-chan.

>>8972585

I'm hoping this doesn't mean it'll be more crowded indoors. I've always counted on the outdoor spaces to attract the weeb hangouts.
>>
>>8971643
It's a fun one for sure. Definitely my favorite one to host. We always encourage the audience to partake in commentary, as well as sing a long to songs from a select few movies we have in the permanent lineup that most people know.
>>
I'm so worried about parking. We live close enough that we'll just drive there everyday. I wish a-kon did the parking panda thing like animefest
>>
>>8973376
April 26th
>>
>>8973386
It's going to be.. There's no way that they're not going to be bursting at the seams what with the outdoors section being gone. I'm not looking forward to it with the knowledge that there will be less space. Like you said, the weebs and generally unpleasant folks (here's looking at you, Homestuck) often were out there. :/
>>
>>8973641
Not to mention a fire hazard in more places since a lot of the photoshoots are inside now.

I hope the hotel gets their shit together and at least lets us have the gardens for the convention.
>>
>>8973609
Be very careful with parking. There are places around, but make damn sure you're not parking in a place that isn't clearly marked saying you can park there. A lot of people get cars towed at this venue.
>>
What's there to do at A-Kon besides panels and the swap meet? The past two years I went, I only went to panels and the rooms that stream anime, but since this year the panels are (probably) gonna be shit considering the lackluster guest list, idk what I'm gonna do
>>
>>8973641
This is what convinced me to not go this year, I'm gonna be wearing something that will be torn to shreds in a crowd and I've put way too much time and effort into this to get coated in sweat and grey paint.
>>
>>8974616

I wouldn't say the panels would be shit, unless you're just going to guest panels. Some of the fan panels are decent, but it is hit or miss.

If you like gaming, the game rooms can be a big draw. There are workshops and demos, too, and in terms of extra content, a regular badge will get you into FANS panels if you like more academic lectures.
>>
>>8974616
Watch the cosplay show or some of the other main event programming, go to dances if you're into that, meet up with friends and go out to dinner/drinks in Dallas proper or at the overpriced hotel bar, go to a friend's room party.... But those are just things I enjoy. It's really honestly up to you.
>>
One month and ten days, guys. How are you holding up?
>>
>>8977657

Well, I'd say I'm halfway done with panels, probably 75% done with coords, and moving along steadily with AA prep. Am I ready? No. Will I be? Yes.
>>
>>8977657
Just booked my hotel room. AA Prep is trudging along, coord for the tea party is coming together. Excited though!
>>
>>8977657
I think I'm doing well. I have my panels finished up but I am nervous. It's my first year doing this. What makes a panel go from decent to amazing for you guys? All of the guides for panels that I found were just really basic presentation stuff in general. Do people like prizes?
>>
>>8977657
A little panicked. I have no idea what to wear Lolita-wise.
>>
>>8977745

Be prepared. Be polite and sociable. Know your material, especially if it's educational/academic. Be bold but have fun. Expect dumb questions that may be completely unrelated to anything you're presenting. Make it interactive if/when you can. Don't be a dick.
>>
>>8977745
Be informative, if you're just hangin out shooting the shit with no point that crap gets hella boring fast. The worst panels are always just a few friends shooting the shit and ignoring the audience rather than focusing on what the panel was listed as and involving the audience.

Tell a few joke that related to the topic but aren't long winded stories, memes, or hateful towards characters/fandom. Best thing to do is create a clever inside joke for the audience to be in on. Like a voice changer on a mic that the person using the mic is unaware of and has to keep looking around or checking the connection.

Find a way to get the audience involved. Q&A is popular, but if you don't have a set up(ie mics for the person asking so others can hear the questions) don't try because it's a time waster and frustration.

There's always chants and power point ques for when a phrase or person talks, or have a third party focus on power point commentary/jokes for the discussion at hand.

Prizes are cool, but don't just toss them out random they should be used as a reward for participation. You need to set up games for ppl to come up front to play to win BEFORE or AFTER the panel. Doing it in the middle creates chaos. Usually the announcer will call out scavenger hunt type items, have a mini cosplay contest, singing contest, or dance match. And for the love of god make the prizes good and anything but food/water/stickers. Stick to a few really nice prizes if you must go this route.

Bingo cards with trigger words works also and keeps the audience participating.

and for the love of god, if you or anybody on your panel has extreme anxiety or narcissism, find a way to politely make them leave. Panel meltdowns and fights are amazing drama.
>>
>>8977745

Oh be prepared for anything. Especially if the panel before you runs over. Clean up after yourself. If you move stuff around in the room, put it back at the end how it was originally set.

Also suggest to be polite to the people running programming. 99.9% of the time they are there to help you and want your panel to succeed. Learn where you go or who you need to go to if you have needs, questions, or concerns.
>>
>>8977711
which hotel did you book that still has rooms?
>>
>>8977745

Have a nice powerpoint that is simple and doesn't go overboard on unnecessary effects. This is more of a nitpicky presentation thing, but know that people will probably pay more attention to looking at the screen/powerpoint than you. That said, keep in mind the balance of text onscreen vs. what you say. If literally everything you say is on the powerpoint, what is the point of you talking? So make sure that you're not putting your entire presentation, word for word, on the screen and that whatever you say isn't just what I already read on the ppt.

Also, practice and time yourself so you don't go horribly over or under time. Anticipate that you'll probably talk too fast, and leave time for questions. Decide ahead of time if you want questions during the presentation/as you talk, or if you want them at the end. It's not rude to have a "rules" slide or something where you straight up tell the audience how you want this to go. If you don't want to be interrupted, tell people to hold questions until the end.

Finally, please never call out people who leave. Just don't.

>>8978168

Seconding this last part about panel staff. Ask for help when you need it. If the volunteer can't help you, they will get someone who can. Bring your own laptop connector converter if you have a Mac and make sure your computer is fully charged in case there isn't an extension coord handy. I know a lot of people use Google Slides for ppts now, but make sure you download it since the Anatole doesn't have internet for panels and such.
>>
>>8977657
I'm behind in my cosplays for the competition, but I've been working on them steadily at least. Hotel is booked, badge is purchased... I've yet to really do much planning in terms of what I want to attend though.
>>8977745
Be prepared. Speak clearly and be engaging. Sell yourself as an expert.
>>8978239
Not that anon, but I got a pretty good rate at the Holiday Inn down the street a few days ago. They're a bit of a walk, but apparently they have complimentary shuttle service. But if you really want to be at the Anatole or the Sheraton (wasn't that important to me), people DO cancel reservations a lot. So call every day and see if they can help you out.
>>
>>8978239
Click on overflow hotel list and literally all of them have rooms. http://www.a-kon.com/Info/Hotels-&-Transportation/Book-a-Hotel-Room!
>>
Has anyone tried to get their badge through the groupon deal? I have no idea how it would work if I were to use it, but $55 dollars seems like a fuckin deal to me
>>
>>8973641
Damn, this is bringing up memories of its first year at the Anatole with them blocking entry to the dealer's room/AA because of fire hazards. And that was with access to the outside.

Fuck.
>>
>>8978950
Dear lord, that fucking registration line too... At least we won't have to deal with that.
>>
>>8977745

If you're using any kind of A/V, make sure you bring any possible cords you will need to make things work. The A/V staff may have some one hand in a pinch, or they may not. It's best to just bring things yourself if you can.

Also, if you do need A/V to do your panel, have a backup plan in case something goes wrong with the equipment and you have to just go with whatever is available.
>>
>>8978167
I second all of this. Especially the last point.

I've hosted panels for 5 years now and had that last problem happen last year for the first time when I introduced a new co-host to a panel and it was not pretty. I've actually put that panel in time-out ever since.
>>
>>8978622
The groupon just gives you a code to enter when you register on the a-kon website, which negates the price of a badge. Make sure to use the code mentioned above so it's $45 instead!!!
>>
>>8979905
Oops, they changed it so you have to buy at least 2 or 4 badges at once... I'm sure the welcome code still applies.
>>
>>8979907
That's still a good deal, reccomending it to the two members of my group that haven't got their badges yet.
>>
>>8979022
Why won't we have to deal with that? Also, sort of related, I bought two badges in a group deal under my name and an individual one for me (friend wasn't sure they could come so had to buy them after I got mine) and I e-mailed the registration team and they said I can't pick them up?
>>
When do they send out the schedule for volunteers?
>>
>>8981797

Depends on the staff. Some are lazy and some are more organized. Just depends on your staff head
>>
>>8981729
I wasn't clear with my wording because I was bored out of my mind at work, but I was referring to how the first year at the Anatole a huge contributing factor to them shutting down the dealer's room due to it being at capacity was the fact that they put registration IN the dealer's room/artist's alley.
But they wised up quickly on that one, so even with it being crowded if the courtyard is inaccessible, at least we won't have to deal with the registration line being in a completely idiotic place.
>>
When should I expect a schedule to come out? Last year it came out hella late, so idk when the correct time for it to come out is
>>
>>8957561
It's all about what you're paying for. The two tea things are catered events, so that's cash for the hotel. The rest of it is about the same. :/
>>
>>8983751

Tumblr-chan says we might have a schedule soon? They're emailing panelists their times, but I'd expect some changes potentially. Sounds like we'd be on track to get it in advance like we used to.
>>
Is there going to be any meetups?
I'm no cosplayer.. (At most going to "try" to cosplay as kirito with the jacket I bought in Afest) but I would like to meet some of you guys and maybe learn something... at least just chill, whichever happens
>>
>>8983982
I'm not aware of any at the moment. But I would be up for one. I love talking me some drama.
>>
>>8984262
Every CGL meet up I've ever been to (and granted its been a few years) was less talking about drama and more awkwardly standing around in silence with a bunch of pasty white dudes, a few girls and one buff Asian dude because even though they all dish it online, they don't have much to say in person. Then someone usually suggests drinking and it devolves from there. Group fractures because not everyone is 21 and because not everyone drinks, the shyest people just kind of fade away without you noticing, some awkward autistic fuck usually tries to be the center of attention for a bit... But not much drama is discussed.
>>
So we are just over a month away. Anyone struggling to get cosplay finished?
>>
>>8985486
Making slow but steady progress. We will see if I make it, lol
>>
>>8985486
maybe not cosplay... but i'm putting together a king of the hill themed lolita to make everybody rage

I even made the shoes look like trucks
>>
I'm so excited for the con. Nervous about the garden though, one of the shoots i'm going to was changed to another outside area. As for food, I hope they have the Banh Mi truck again, and I really wish they'd bring back Aloha Shaved Ice. The milk tea truck last year was bad too
>>
>>8985527
You will be silently praised by me
>>
>>8985799
I always am able to find at least one food truck that is a good deal and tastes good. Hope I can keep my streak up.
>>
>>8985527
I am unbelievably excited for this. I hope you carry around a(n empty) beer can.

>>8985997
I honestly misread that as steak, and am now sad because I was hoping for a steak food truck.
>>
>>8986022
After reading this I went back and misread my own post.
And I love steak anon, so now I'm sad too. We need a steak truck.
>>
>>8985486
I finally made significant progress today, I've been super busy lately at work and it's been hard to work on cosplay. Only have two costumes to make but it feels like a lot, ugh
>>
AA map got sent out. How many other gulls are tabling?
>>
>>8990721
I am. Really happy at my location too.

I hope the schedule is released soon, I need to make plans with table helpers.
>>
>>8990868

Programming emailed our panel times and said we need to accept by the 8th. I would assume it would go out after that.
>>
I feel so unprepared. I still have finals next week and there is still plenty of things I need to do to prepare for the con.

Also what are y'all expecting to be the "big" cosplays this year?
>>
>>8993911
I'm so out of touch with pop fandom. Is Undertale still big? Maybe that? I dunno.
>>
>>8993952

I think Undertale is still popular.

Also did anyone notice the tumblr mentioned more guests were being announced? I'm holding out for more Japanese guests.
>>
>>8985392
Not that anon (Tho I am the one hes replying to)
But man that sounds kinda sad, I'm down for a drink but if theres underage that must be hella awkward
>>
>>8993911

Undertale and Osomatsu.

I feel you anon with the finals. At this point, I always make a checklist for all the things I have to do (one for each panel, cosplay, or coord) and tape them up in my studio. It gives me itemized things and helps put in perspective how much I have to do. Admittedly, I like to do a lot of the easy/quick things done first, and always start with whatever I have the least left to do on so I can cross something off and have it fully done.
>>
>>8994317
As I said, I haven't been to one in a few years (you can tell why) so it might have changed. I would go expecting the meet ups to be typical of the board demographic (majority female like me) but then mostly guys would show up, probably expecting to score with one of us or something. I dunno. It was hella awkward, and Smoker being the only one trying to engage with anyone always added to that a bit more (props for trying).
And yeah there are gonna be underage people there, 4chan isn't 21+. So it stands to reason there will be some in the 18-20 age range at any given meetup.
>>
>probably expecting to score with one of us or something
Good lord I hope nobody will think that's what I'm after if I happen to show up..
>>
>>8994939
Silly me, forgot to link >>8994948
>>
Where are the lists for artists and dealers who will be attending? I swear it was on the site, but I can't find it anymore.
>>
>>8994939
Are you me, anon?

I too haven't been to a /cgl/ meet in a few years.
The idea of a local /cgl/ meet is great but the reality of the Akon/Afest ones were just Smoker being an obnoxious attention whore and cringe dudes spouting memes.
Pretty sure all most of the gulls like us jet after seeing that the meets are just crossboarders trying to get some.
>>
>tfw you have three seperate cosplay groups planned and the people who came up w them all bailed

We can still salvage groups w half the people I guess but it's so disappointing. Some of the groups even had the full cast and then some, but so many people changed plans.

Rushing to finish this stuff either way I guess.
>>
>>8994939
I've just recently started going to cons and only been to a few meetups, but Smoker has got to be the most cringey fucker I've ever met at any of them and what I assumed were his meme spouting friends weren't any better
I like meeting up with other gulls, but I wouldn't stick around if he showed up
>>
>>8995896
That's always the worst anon, I feel for you.
>>8995643
I'm not surprised I'm not the only one who just noped out. Tbh, I already know the seagulls I want to know from Texas anyways, and I hang with them regardless. So going to the meet ups just isn't worth it.
>>
>>8995643
>>8996284
We should just have a girls only meet. I would say a secret code, but there's not really a way to keep it secret.
>>
>>8996056
Not that anon but, this is my 3rd year going to Akon/Afest but how insufferable is smoker? I nearly socked a deadpool "cosplayer" in the face last year for not leaving us alone, I just want to meet some cosplayers and befriend them and learn the ways of cosplaying casue frankly Im having no luck in the cgl friend thread (I guess nobody wants to befriend someone that knows nothing of cosplaying even tho they wish to learn) but if these dipshits are going to make us guys look bad, I'll sock em in the face for ya (no not that bullshit white knight shit, fuck those guys)
>>
>>8996996
Real quick I'll make a cringy disclaimer, I am drunk at this moment so feel free to not take me serious, I doubt ill make any cosplay friends cause they all think I'm after their bodies or some shit anyways just cause Im a dude
>>
>>8997013
>>8996996
Dear God, sir. You need to ease up. You'll make friends at a con, it's easy, but only if you stop coming on so strong as wallowing in self pity.

Also a lot of us are completely self taught. You don't need a friend to hand hold you in order to become a good cosplayer.
>>
>>8996996

Try going to the fancier dances?
>>
I'm cosplaying as Venom Snake
Been exercising and going to my local body builder gym to achieve peak perfection
I have everything prepared just need the scar and horn
>>
>>8996056
Lmao Jebus when will you stop shitting on smoker
>>
File: 1372649164715.jpg (72KB, 500x619px) Image search: [Google]
1372649164715.jpg
72KB, 500x619px
>>8996996
>>8997013

You sound like the type who complains about women putting you in the friendzone/ignoring you
>>
>>8997536
>Self taught
Hm google it is then, ah well I was hoping to at least get an idea as to where to start or what materials to use.

>>8997885
Do you mean that masquerade thing? I heard they're very tight on dress code from last year's A-kon

>>8998012
>Ignored
Yeah that's 75% of my life but no, I turn into a little bitch when drunk.. dunno why I was even here while intoxicated but the damage is done.
>>
>>8998090

Masquerade Ball has a strickt dress code and they stick to it. Steampunk Ball you can wear whatever and it doesn't have to be steampunk.
>>
>>8998104
Are any of them worth checking out?
>>
>>8998112

Depends on what you like to do. If you want to get dressed up and have a second prom (or first I guess) with nerdy music then you would probably like the Masquerade Ball. The Steampunk ball usually has a live band. If the band isn't to your tastes then it may not be for you. Plus it's usually not easy to dance to.
>>
>>8998166
>Nerdy music
PLEASE tell me it's anime music that can be slow danced to.. I dreaded my last two proms simply because of the music (They played hiphop twerking shit)
>>
>>8998175

I went the last two years. It's usually anime and gaming music. They also played more traditional ballroom songs. It was a mix of different styles so it wasn't boring in my opinion. The disco dance off last year was fun too. If you're worried about rap or country (that's what I had at my prom) I don't think anything like that is played.
>>
>>8998181
Ah good, tiraditional ballroom songs, I can work with that.

Thanks for the imput.
>>
>>8998182

Just check the dresscode rules. They seriously won't let you in if you don't follow them. It's the only con I have been to that sticks to it and I appreciate it.
>>
>>8997895
This will be my first year at Akon so I don't know if Jebus usually attends, but he's just as cringey as Smoker
At least Smoker isn't a pedophile, to my knowledge at least, so I've got to give him props for that
>>
>>8998090
No, not just google it, but there is a huge wealth of tutorials and resources. And if you ask specific questions once you know a bit more, people in the help thread are more than happy to assist. Just don't expect hand holding. Lurk more.
>>
>>8998197
San Japan sticks to their dress code pretty well too. Once almost was barred entry because my (pre-approved, I might add) shoes were a bit well worn. Not that you could tell they had the scuffs in the dark.
>Foreversalty.png
>>
Less than a month now. Quiet panic is setting in. How is everyone else doing on cosplay construction/coord planning?
Also, I'm not one who really keeps up with tumblr/Facebook, any word on when the schedule and the Guidebook will be up?
>>
File: 1412279193151.gif (202KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1412279193151.gif
202KB, 500x400px
Im the crossposter that bought the pizzas last year
mind if I kick with yall again?
>>
>>8999105

Panelists were supposed to confirm their times yesterday, so it'll still be probably a week before the schedule goes out.

Got my wig and some of my jewelry on order for one coord. Working on hair accessories this week and then jewelry and hat for my second coord soon. Panel prep is coming along, but I need to step it up a bit. AA I still need to really get some prints done, but I feel like I'm at a decent spot.
>>
Speaking of panels: How late can you start working on one? It's just me doing the panel. I have been working on finishing my Master's (which will be done on the 24th). I haven't been able to focus on con stuff because of that, but I'll be able to start on the 25th. Is that too late? Should I try to fit in what I can now?
>>
>>8999419
It honestly depends. Is this a panel you've done before and you're just updating it? Have you done a panel before at all? Are you good at working quickly and under pressure? Are you being honest with yourself about how much work there is to do?
I myself have done all the work for a panel the literal day of the panel before and it went really well, but it was a panel i had done before and I was just updating the power point, and it was by no means my first panel. If you think it's going to be too much stress, it would be easier for the staff if you told them now you can't do it.
>>
>>8999644
It depends how good looking you are, post pics friend
>>
>>8993911
Undertale is starting to decay, but still has a large lingering fanbase

League as usual

JoJo might unfortunately hit that mainstream point since it got a huge boost in popularity with DiU

Boku No Hero Academia is going to be up and coming

Star Wars is probably going to big (or would be if DCC wasn't the same weekend)

Osomatsu and Fire Emblem are probably going to be the two new large ones on the block. Both of them had some sizable crowds in the past but I expect them to be among the most popular this year.

Thank god MLP, Shingeki, SAO, and Homestuck are finally fucking dead
>>
>>8999505
I've done panels before and I did this one last year, so I that's why I'm not too worried. I just saw everyone else preparing or having already been prepared, so I got a little concerned.
>>
>>8999419

It just depends on whether you can pull it off and how involved your panels is. If you can do it the night before and it turns out okay, that's your own business. Not all panels are complicated, so some of them only take a short while to put together. The only reason I've been working on mine as long as I have is because I have 6 panels, 4 of which are group projects, one of which involves a lot of research and data gathering.

I also prefer to do some of my cosplay stuff last minute (things like jewelry are actually relaxing to do) and to have my panels done, this way they can be fully proofed and ready to go.
>>
>>8999880
If you've done it before, no cause for concern then. If you know you can get the work done (which considering that you're in grad school you probably can) then that is what matters.
>>
>>9001262
Well that was certainly uncalled for.
>>
>>8999419
>I have been working on finishing my Master's
I know that feel. I've been too busy with my capstone course this semester to even watch anime, I had to cancel my panel because my life was turning into a clusterfuck because of school.
>>
>>8998356
Should've paid the 50 bucks
https://youtu.be/RJZzvD_9HCI
>>
Schedule's out. I'm just reading it now. http://www.a-kon.com/Info/Schedule

>Consent and Anime
all my what.
>>
>>9002133
I might just show up to that panel just so I have something to do on Thursday. I wish there was an easier to read format of this schedule, but hey, it's out!
>>
>>9002135

Looks like mostly just panels and a few unnamed events. I'm guessing this isn't the final version?
>>
Just checked the schedule. Allow me to add my personal favorites:

>Consent and Anime
>Dangan Ronpa Murder Trial
>Reading Homestuck as Literature
>Consent Culture in Your Fandom
>Consent and Kink/BDSM Relationships
>Anti-Bullying
>How to Be Kawaii and Not Be Broke

That's just a few
>>
>>9002164

I'm interested in a few of them depending who's running them. We don't have descriptions yet so I'm not sure.
>>
>>9002164
>>Reading Homestuck as Literature
As an English teacher, I know this could be interesting... but knowing the fanbase, ugh.
>>
>>9002133
>don't violate my waifu
>iie means iie
>>
Real talk, are there any panels run by people that aren't guests that anyone is looking forward to/interested in at first glance?
>>
Has anyone else applied to be in the jfashion show? In the app it said they'd let us know by May 10th, but I haven't heard anything either way.
>>
>>9002263
I think they bumped it back a day or two, I haven't heard anything back either.
>>
>>9002263
>>9002279

>The deadline to submit an application is May 10th, by 11:59 PM CST. Models will be chosen and contacted by the 15th.

It's on the website.
>>
>>9002241
I see a few I like. I'm sure everyone will find something interesting once the Guide Book schedule is out. This format is God awful.
>>
>>9002320
Damn. My reading comprehension took a holiday I guess. Thanks, anon.
>>
Regarding the schedule, am I missing the Autographs listings?

They have a lot of guests and I see a panel area set aside for Autographs but nothing much listed there.
I've never sought out these things before, when do they announce that line up if not on the schedule?
>>
>>9002348

It's an in progress schedule. Tumblr said it's going to get multiple updates. Considering some panels just say industry event and Tumblr said there were still stuff that hasn't been announced yet by the con, then I conclude this ugly version is far from being complete?
>>
>>9002384
I'm pretty sure it was released so everyone would stop freaking out over the schedule not being out yet (not that I blame anyone- it's less than a month away). So now the schedule is "out" but not yet complete. We are also missing the Artist Alley and dealer room vendor list, even though it was up on the site a while ago. I thought I was going crazy but that was taken down for some reason.
>>
>>9002124
I kek'd, thanks

Wish the guidebook guide were up, though. That's how I really make my schedule at cons, I add everything I'm vaguely interested in into "my schedule," look through it again and decided on a case by case basis where there are time conflicts. I know the schedule isn't done yet, but guidebook is easy to update with a new schedule as changes are made, and it will even notify the users when an update is made. Oh well.
>>
At least it's something and not the hell that was last year.
>>
File: tumblrkpsk82kzxm1qzggl7.png (123KB, 476x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblrkpsk82kzxm1qzggl7.png
123KB, 476x300px
I'm really hoping that I get to go to A-kon. Haven't bought the fucking tickets yet, but I'm also full blown working on my cosplay. It's gonna look shitty because I have never sown anything in my life, and my paper mache sucks dicks but hey, huge staff.
>>
First time volunteer here looking for advice from veteran volunteers. How many hours are you required to work to get a badge? And is it a daily badge or the weekend? Also about when do they post the hours for each person to cover?
>>
>>9003241

Depends on your staff and staff head. Each one is different to be honest. Which are you on?
>>
>>9003255
Registration!
>>
>>9003255

That's a staff I'm less familiar with since I haven't worked it myself. I believe the average to get a badge is about 16-18 volunteer hours. Crash space can run from 24-32 or more depending how much crash space the staff actually has.

And again, each staff has it's own rules and structure. More often than not, once you find a staff you like, you stick with it and end up in their staff "family".

Some staffs are more stressful than others. Some are fairly relaxed. Security/KP, Registration can be stressful but mostly due to attendees being assholes. VU can be fun if you want to experience different jobs throughout the weekend. It's good starter staff if you have no previous experience.
>>
>>9003241
I've never volunteered at A-Kon so I can't answer your question (do it for a lot of the other cons in Texas so I like to have one a year that's my "fuck it all" party con) but dude, I just want to say thank you so fucking much for actually volunteering. I wish more people volunteered in general at cons. I have always viewed it as a win win, and it makes you appreciate cons in a new way even (re-kindled my love for cons after being burnt out on them several years back). But cons always end up so understaffed and it seems so tragic to me, especially when you see so many people getting upset about not being able to afford a badge or hotel. There's a solution here people: volunteer. You still get a good amount of time to enjoy the con and do your thing, and honestly it cuts down on all those dead "I don't know what the hell to do so I guess I'm walking in circles and playing street pass games on my DS" hours you run into during the weekend. It's just awesome.

So basically all that to say good for you for volunteering and I hope you have an awesome time.
>>
>>9003241
Honestly, the best place that I've volunteered was the maid cafe because it was fun and less repetitive, but at least with registration, you get to see everyone in their cosplay. Most cons give you a weekend badge, you pay upfront and get the money back on Sunday after you finish your volunteer hours.
>>
>>9003602
Haha thank you! I honestly did it because I couldn't afford a weekend badge but I'm excited to get to help with this process. I'm a big people person so I'm hoping I can help a lot. I never did it in the past mostly because I would plan on having so much to do at a con but, like you said, I end up with a lot of dead hours. At least this way I'll have something to do. And it's not a big loss if I don't end up liking it.

I think my biggest worry is scheduling. I'll be doing the cosplay contest on Saturday and have a photoshoot in the morning. I put that on my application though so here's hoping it gets taken into consideration.

>>9004294
I'll have to see about trying other areas later on! I mostly chose registration because (see above) but maybe in the future I'll move on to other places. I'd love to work with guests one day too.
>>
File: Image 11.jpg (387KB, 500x835px) Image search: [Google]
Image 11.jpg
387KB, 500x835px
What does everyone think of the new cosplay guest?
>>
>>9004570
is she old enough to fuck?
>>
>>9004570
Where are her cosplays?
>>
>>9004570
Lol so edgy.
>>
>>9004570
Is she even a cosplayer?
>>
>>9004627

Well she wears cosplay. She doesn't make it herself. Pretty sure she just poses for neck beards with pedo tendencies. And pretends to be tsundere going by her Facebook
>>
>>9004570
wow even the official a-kon hugbox doesn't like her, with the exception of some white knights. Can't say I really know anything about her myself though, but still shocked
>>
>>9004643
She has made a lot of her own stuff actually. She's sort of an e-personality/cosplayer nowadays, surprised she's actually gonna be a guest. But good for her.
>>
>>9004940
howdy bitsy
>>
>>9004570
Are any of the things in that photo even actual cosplay? Get it together AKon. Stop booking slutty models and steampunks, did you forget you're an Anime convention?
>>
>>9004981
Or one of her many white knights.
>>
>>9004570
Fucking Christ, the tantrum she's having on her page is unbelievable.
>>
>>9004918
I take that back just re-checked the thread now the people who dislike her got pushed waaaay to the bottom. It's now filled with "how can people be so cruel".......

I love watching stuff like this...
>>
>>9004570
Shit, I should be a guest too. I'm assuming you just nominate yourself and you get in.
>>
>>9005121

Or know the right people
>>
>>9004570
She's not even on A-Kon's website as an "official" guest lol. I'm pretty sure that they just used her going as promotion, and vice versa. Either way, it's pretty stupid.
>>
>>9005121
It worked for Carl Martin
>>
>>9004570
I feel like a lot of A-kon's cosplay guests this year are "literally who?"
>>
>>9005251
Honesty though? Not everyone on the guest list is an actual guest guest. The judges for the contest are the only ones I'm really considering actual guests, and they're all competent and fairly well known for being so. The others are just glorified booth babes who pay to have a space to sit and sell prints.
>>
Bitsy probably boned someone on staff. Even the shit she makes is awful. Congratulations on leavening how to use a hot glue gun.
>>
I wonder who she had to suck off for that one. I don't get why they'd pick someone like her, whether she has a lot of fans or not. She's pretty terrible and her entire needing-funding thing is just continual thirst.
>>
>>9006099
>>9006241
If she's not even an actual guest like >>9005497 and >>9005161 seem to be implying, literally all she probably did was pay money for a booth. No dick sucking required. its not like she's judging anything or doing signings or guest panels.
>>
>>9006296
If all she did was pay for a booth, she wouldn't be getting announced as a guest on the official Facebook page.
Quite frankly, after the shit she pulled posting screen shots of comments on her public page without blocking names out, she should be banned from being a guest. She got strangers attacked by her neckbeard army because some people posted they don't like her. That's unacceptable.
>>
>>9006675
They announce Yaya Han as a "guest" too, and we all know she's only there to sell kitty ears and take pictures.
>>
>>9006768

I don't know her and don't really care. I'm not going to the con to see her anyway. If her fans want to see Bitz or something who cares? As long as they don't get in my way or prevent me from doing what I want, it's a non-issue.

I understand drama being exciting, but she's not remotely interesting to waste time on.
>>
>>9006675
thats how shes always been though gets called out on shit and runs to her neckbeard fedora hugbox to fight the meanies
>>
>>9006986

Then don't pay any attention to her. You worse thing you can do to an attention whore is ignore them completely. Hits them right in the ego and it's glorious.
>>
>>8994939
>>8994948
>>8995643
I went to the meetup last year (it was my first A-kon), and most of the guys were really cool and gave me somewhere to crash.
There was one super creepy guy though that kept trying to get me drunk, and offered to pay me to put him in a triangle choke(?).

I'd probably go again, if only because I'm from out of state and don't know anyone in the area.
>>
>>9007042
Oh snap, that was me!

Just kidding. This will be my fiance and I's third Akon, and this time around, her brother is coming along. Any details on the Akon meet up this year? Might be a nice way to expose him to con culture.
>>
>>9006768
At least she has some panels though.
>>
>>9007042
I would have taken the money, anon.
>>
Is the panel schedule up yet?
>>
>>9007705
the first draft is
>>
>>9007470
I really need to look at the damn schedule.
>>
>>8999859
Undertale is dying and so is Osomatsu. I see Steven Universe coming back since seaaon 3 just started, and i expect Rick and Morty to be popular at Akon too.
>>
>>9008094
It's a mess and a work in progress right now. Hopefully the Guidebook will be up soon. And hey, don't freak out if you don't have your shit together for A-Kon. A-Kon doesn't have its shit together for A-Kon.
>>
Who else applied as a model? I've yet to receive an email although they recently posted they haven't finished deciding, like... were there so many bad ones you cant pick your poison?
>>
>>9008705
They're probably trying to make sure the flakes who ruined the last fashion show don't get in.
>>
>>9008705
Sorry anon but you're probably SOL, emails went out yesterday.
>>
maybe it's just me, but anyone notice alot of the people on the a-kon pages that advertise their photography....are....not that great?....

I look at them and notice my dad who just bought a fancy camera is just as good....

there are sooo many "photographers" too, and all fairly pricey for the quality...
>>
File: akon photog.jpg (110KB, 885x894px) Image search: [Google]
akon photog.jpg
110KB, 885x894px
>>9009106
I was just about to post this.

I can't believe some people are trying to charge.
>>
>>9009114
I think we were looking at the same group of posts.....

Some of these "photographers" i recognize their names from a year ago when they just started. Posted their page EVERYWHERE.....year later still doing that, haven't improved but charging more money

It is not in my nature to do say this kinda stuff, but it's just getting so bad....
>>
>>9009134
I think this is why most of us who are experienced have our own couple of go-to photographers that are our friends and whose work we know. The only time lately I ever work with a new photographer, it's when a friend booked a group shoot for us and it's their go to instead of mine. The only people who actually go to these newbies, unfortunately, are other newbies.
>>
>>9008138
Osomatsu isn't dying, they just calmed down. But I'm expecting a lot more SU than any of them.

What will be the next meme shouted at this con? Just Do It had gotten old, I'm wondering what else will annoy me all weekend.
>>
>>9008758
No one even has information on the last show and it was like 4 years ago. Talk where your mouth is or stop trying to stir up old drama.

>>9008850
I just got an email from them. It seems like they're still picking for the models? I guess it's the guests taking a while.
>>
>>9009705
Probably gonna hear Dat Boi and Oh Shit Waddup every couple minutes this year
>>
>>9009705
"WE DEM BOYS."
>>
>>9008850
Oooh, nvm I was checking the wrong email. I got in! how exciting.
But I don't have a badge for the con does that affect in any way?
>>
>>9010424
Yes, you need to have a badge to the con in order to walk
>>
>>9010424
Obviously. You might be able to save a few dollars by buying from someone who had something come up and can't attend the con last minute. Check the FB group, and congratulations.
>>
>>9010424
Obviously you need a badge, but if you're looking to save you should probably just get a day pass at the door.
>>
who else is ready for the night influx of ppl from comicon. im stoked it should be wild at night with all the extra ppl from comicon
>>
>>9010835
Gross.
I don't want the shitty DCC crown normies coming to clutter the convention.
People who would otherwise be at Akon I'm cool with but people just coming over for something to do after con hours who don't care about the con's subject matter are trash.
>>
>>9010835
It's going to be crowded enough as it is, I'd rather not have to deal with DCC people. Not my fault their con doesn't run late night.
>>
>>9010835
Oh fuck that's going to be a thing.
God dammit...
>>
>>9010905
>>9011214
>>9011227
It's not like they can do anything other than roam the halls without a pass. It'll be fine. Worst case scenario: drunk idiots in the lobby, which is nothing new. Best case: A-Kon gets that side dosh.
>>
If I try to run a Gull meet, what day would work best for ppl; Sat, Sun, or both?

Sat would be after the Con Horror Story panel ends around 10:30pm to whenever @ the Media Bar in the Anatole.

Sun would be between 12am - 2pm same place, because Wifi and it's open.

First 30min of the meet we'll hang outside the door of the place so everybody can do the "is it safe? are those creepers?" stare down to decide if they want to participate or not.

I'll volunteer as tribute to hold a stick with a seagull on it and look a god damned idiot.
>>
>>9011449
Sunday would be fun. Gives us an excuse to do something in the afternoon when everything is winding down
>>
>>9011449
I also vote Sunday!
>>
>>9011449
I'd personally prefer Sat evening since I can't do mid-day stuff
>>
>>9011449
Sunday for me. With all due respect, I have better things to do on Saturday than a /cgl/ meet.
>>
>>9011449
I like the late night meets so I think one Friday or Saturday would be great. Mid day usually means people are busy.
I feel like Sunday would be worse case scenario since part of the fun of making new friends is running into them the rest of the weekend.
Sunday also limits most shenanigans since people will be checking out of the hotel and leaving, especially if they have timed parking.
>>
>>9002263
I just received my email a few hours ago, anon. So, there is still hope, I'm sure.
>>
>>9009114
50-100 for a photo session ya kay no thanks
>>
>>9011771
>>9011866
>>9011956
3 votes Sunday

>>9011925
>>9012077

2 votes Saturday

If there's a min of 5 ppl for each one, I'll do both. Otherwise, it looks like Sunday is gonna be it.
>>
>>9012822

You could apply for one of the meetup spots?
>>
>>9012852
are you talking about the photoshoot meetup spots?
>>
>>9012077
I agree with this, why can't we do a Friday night? If I want to meet people, I don't want to do it a couple hours before we leave.
>>
>>9012923

Well they made a post about having general meetup space you can reserve. It's not for photos
>>
>>9012933
I agree with this person. Sunday would be terrible because I know at least for me, I've skipped the past two Sunday events in favor of a day trip to see the Dallas area. Others may be traveling on Sunday as well. Friday evening as a happy hour kind of meetup would be best I think.
>>
>>9010536
I had a person that was leaving the convention saturday ask me if I wanted to buy the badge for twenty dollars because she just didn't want to pay for two individual day passes and that she wasn't going to need it anymore. Got all of saturday and sunday for my friend covered.
>>
>>9011214
> the sole reason to not go to comicon
>>
>>9012939
Where is this post? Link me I'm blind.

>>9012933
>>9012954
I'm too busy Friday night to run a meet, that's the reason for offering Sat or Sun.

If another person would rather run a Friday meet and the majority would like to attend that, then I say go for it. I just won't be able to attend, ppl won't be missing out on much if I'm not present.

Ppl were asking for a meet, I just got the conversation ball rolling up the Sisyphean hill.
>>
>>9012822
I'd prefer Saturday night out of those 2, I usually don't stay too long if at all on Sundays
>>
>>9012987

It's a few posts down on the Facebook page I think. Sorry on mobile and working.
>>
>>9012987
I could run a Friday meet if that's what people would be interested in. Sat is just a hard evening for me, and Sun is impossible.
>>
>>9013050
Ah, I forgot that conventions and groups are all run via facebook now and anybody who refuses to use the shit service is SOL.
>>
>>9013105
I know, isn't that just the pits? And then important info ends up buried way down feed, cluttered out by people's room share posts and "omg this is my costume lineup, in sure everyone must care!!!1" and it just annoys the shit out of me.
I miss forums. Yes that makes me an old fart. I don't care.
>>
>>9013265
We can be old farts together and talk about how things stink with the lack of organization commonsense.

Hell the LJ days had better organization than facebook.
>>
>>9004570
http://xgraciferx.tumblr.com/post/144513437948/i-lived-with-bitsy-for-7-months

Bitsy drama.
>>
>>9013100
A Friday meet would be great
It wouldn't be weird to have multiple meets anyways
>>
>>9013415
>only 4 notes
So you wrote this?
>>
>>8951393
if u see a drunk ciel , thats me
>>
>>9014074
Kenric is that you?
>>
>>9012822
I vote saturday as well, got to drive home on sunday
>>
>>9014123
no this is patrick
>>
>>9014074
Kenric I stg get your gay ass off 4chan
>>
>>9012852
>>9012939
>>9012987
>>9013050
>>9013105
>>9013265
PLEASE do not apply to make this an "official" meet up. That will get it posted on the list with all the other meet ups which will get us a bunch of crossboarder scum and people just showing up to see some IRL 4channers.
I don't want either of those things. I can't see why one would.

Keep the meet ups focused here, don't let it get added to those lists.

>>9013100
I'd like to go Friday but I don't know if I'll be available in time so I can't volunteer to host. Still better than sat/sun though.
>>
>>9014739
Like half the people you quoted were just talking about the Facebook group in general and not even suggesting we make the meet up "official."

Ughhhhhghhhhh I have so much to do, starting to really panic now. And I think my friend whose badge I bought through groupon and who was paying a share of our hotel room is going to flake out on going to the con. :/
I hardly even want to go without her, but I've paid a lot of money I can't get back.
>>
>>9015040
Sell her badge. You still have enough time to find someone for the hotel, so calm down. Go to the FB group and post exactly what kind of roommate(s) you're looking for, and get that money up front. Hell, if you're staying at the Anatole, I might even be interested.
>>
File: hand hillu.png (311KB, 720x500px) Image search: [Google]
hand hillu.png
311KB, 720x500px
Okay so current count for the meet votes sits at:

Friday run by Pixel:
>>9011925
>>9012077
>>9012933
>>9013463

Sat:
>>9011925
>>9012077
>>9013044
>>9014134

Sun:
>>9011771
>>9011866
>>9011956

Obviously, this isn't 100% accurate. So here's my thoughts. Pixel should run the Friday meet and I should run the Sunday.

Comments?
>>
>>9016639
Oh definitely selling her badge, but I'm just screwed on the hotel, unfortunately. My girlfriend has a medical condition, has to take a lot of meds, and because of that she's really uncomfortable sharing a hotel with someone she doesn't know personally.
>>
Hey, would anyone be interested in joining a line group chat? I did it with AM seagulls and still chat with them...
>>
>>9017296
I'd join
I think it'd help organize meetups better during the con
>>
>>9017262
If you can't afford your current hotel just find a new one and cancel your current. I'm booked at the Sheraton for $99 a night.
>>
>>9017296
God dammit, I hate Line groups for meet ups.
My phone is trash and I can't use the app.
>>
I'm so tired of people in the A-Kon groups asking if they look okay in their cosplays. Like no, you look like shit. You're overweight and showing everything you shouldn't be. But no one will say anything, so they're not getting the "honest answers" they want.
>>
>>9018710
Check the Texas thread for the line group
>>
>>9018775

They aren't deleting anything anymore because they don't want to censure anybody. Unless you say "fuck" then it's a problem. But you can show off the drugs you'll be bringing that's ok.
>>
>>9018167
I'm actually booked at one of the cheapest I found (Holiday Inn) but desu I'm not especially bovvered now that I've had time to react to the initial shock and it's not like I can't afford it, I have a job and I'm an adult. But it's still nice to have a third roommate and spend a little less, y'know? Thanks for the advice though (honestly, not trying to sound salty)
>>
>>9018877
I'm still looking for a room, if your girlfriend ever changes her mind.
>>
File: enoughalready.png (3MB, 2312x960px) Image search: [Google]
enoughalready.png
3MB, 2312x960px
>>9018813
I'm just really tired of seeing overweight people half naked begging for compliments. They know no one's going to tell them the truth. If you want to cosplay a character you don't look like, fine. But for the love of god quit the attention whore posts.
>>
>>9019048
Oh my god the finger prints on the middle guy's headpiece....
>>
File: tickets.png (250KB, 1280x502px) Image search: [Google]
tickets.png
250KB, 1280x502px
So A-Kon panels and events are going by a ticket system this year.
>>
>>9019709
FINALLY. GOOD.
>>
>>9019709
Do these reserve specific seats?
How will this help the line if you still have to wait in line to get good seats?

Is this only to eliminate people waiting in line and finding out too late that the panel will be at capacity?
>>
>>9014535
NO THIS IS PATRICK!!!
>>
>>9019709
Waiting an hour early doesn't even work anymore. You gotta wait like two hours. It doesn't make a huge difference to me, other than knowing I won't get in before I waste my time.
>>
>>9019737
I don't think they reserve specific seats. That wpuld be too time consuming. Like they said I think they are doing this to keep an eye on capacity. They have had issues every year at the Anatole with regards to fire code and maximum occupancy. There will probably still be huge lines of people waiting for tickets, but maybe it won't be as bad because once the tickets are distributed, people who didn't get one will be less likely to stick around. Although for the most popular panels, I'm sure loads will try for the unclaimed seats.
>>
>>9020115

They did some ticketing last year for an 18+ panel I went to. You got your ID pre-checked and got a ticket, this way all you had to do is give them your ticket when they started letting people in. I can't remember if we still had to stand in line, since it seems a bit troublesome for me to get my ID pre-checked and then I could have just given the ticket to anyone. I hope there's not too much fraud with that as I have been to 18+ panels in the past where there were underage people there (the actual panelists, too).
>>
>>9002164
>>Anti-Bullying

Does anyone know who is hosting this panel?
>>
The closer A-Kon approaches, the more cringy things we see in the groups...
>>
>>9021141
Dropped pic
>>
>>9020163
It says that you have to present your ID to get a ticket and then again at the door this time.
>>
>>9021208

Makes sense. That may have been what they did last year and I just don't remember. Either way it was efficient. The last big con I went to didn't allow people to line up until it was 30 minutes before an event, and no line to form a line could form either, and it was amazing.
>>
>>9019709
kek, do you think there will be ticket scalping for the more popular panels?
>>
When is badge pickup on Thursday? I get in around 9, and I imagine it will be less crowded that night.
>>
>>9021287
I heard it ends at 9 on thursday but I could be wrong
>>
File: Image 13.jpg (516KB, 836x914px) Image search: [Google]
Image 13.jpg
516KB, 836x914px
So this cancer about Bitsy exists.
>>
>>9022560
Well don't spread it, goddamn anon
>>
Should we make a new thread now or let this one die and just make a new one once the con starts?
>>
>>9023443
I vote make a new thread. I'm on mobile or else I'd do it (my phone doesn't let me upload images).
We do have a Texas thread, but those tend to get bogged down with drama.
>>
>>9023517
It already is. I can make a new one if no one else has.
>>
>>9023904
New thread's up.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.