[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 47

File: 1446397949509[1].jpg (407KB, 1600x1595px) Image search: [Google]
1446397949509[1].jpg
407KB, 1600x1595px
Old thread >>8920812

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>>
@ the lulu print anon: veigar is really cute but Lulu doesn't have the same appeal? I know it's just blocking out but i'd work on her face/pose bc atm it seems bland compared to how endearing veigar is. I would also go for a background : its a scene, plain would look weird.
>>
hope this isn't too personal. it's out of genuine curiosity. how much do you guys usually make at a con (big or small) and what items do you sell?
>>
File: league.jpg (273KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
league.jpg
273KB, 850x1100px
In regards to what >>8942949 said I made an edit. The character on the left is simplified so it has a natural cute appearance but the one on the right is a bit awkward as of now. Her eyes are closed but they're so upturned that there's a lot of space underneath and her face is a bit lumpy.
I rotated her head and reshaped the jaw and temple to have more of a natural connection to the body but you can keep a tilt if she's supposed to be laughing hard. Also included a smug version because I like smug girls.
>>
File: Annicon.jpg (213KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Annicon.jpg
213KB, 1024x768px
>>8943009
I've been wanting to know this too. Its sorta hard to ask people irl without feeling like your bragging about how much more you made than them.
anyways

At Anni-con, a free one day con with ~800 people, I made ~$800. I sold out of almost everything.
The last con I went to was Kami-con. It was a 3 day con with 3,000+ people. I made $1,300. It would have been much more if I didn't completely sell out of everything on the 2nd day.

So, assuming its a decent con that isn't completely dead, one day cons ~$600 and 3 day cons ~$1,000+ (I expect to do $2,000 at my next three day con since I'll actually have time to make enough products and hopefully not sell out again.)

Oh, and I also sell $300 to $500 a month on etsy (around $2,000+ in October because of halloween.)
>>
>>8943009
>>8943036
Are you guys talking about revenue or profit? Because those are teo different sets of numbers, friends.
>>
>>8943094
Revenue.
For kami-con, I made $1,300 revenue, but around $900 after all expenses, including gas, table, material, etc.
For annicon, I did $800, or, $650 after all expenses.

Only about 15% of profits go into materials for me.
>>
>>8943142
Ooh, alright! I do mostly prints and acrylic keychains and here are my revenue figures from this year so far:

- Sacanime: ~$2800
- ALA: $2500
- Wonder Con: $4000

I think the most I've made is at AX one year where my profit was around $5k but I don't temember the revenue exactly. I've done around $4-4.5k at Fanime and San Japan also!
>>
File: LuluReDraw.jpg (400KB, 3011x1650px) Image search: [Google]
LuluReDraw.jpg
400KB, 3011x1650px
>>8942949
Thank you for the feed back. I'll start thinking how I could make the background look like the field tree line.

>>8943032
You are so awesome!! I didn't know this thread was THAT helpful. Thanks so much for the overdraw. I love your smug face. Lulu should be more smug more often.

This will be the last sketch I post cause I don't want to clutter up the board with it anymore, but what if I just turn Lulu's head all the way to the side? Does that make it any cuter or feel compositely better? Thanks gulls. If you squawk at me if you find me in AE I'll give you a free print.
>>
>>8943160
I also added their staffs. Does that make the pic too crowed or cluttered? Or my interesting?
>>
From the last thread. Hope the Paypal shipping anon sees this.

I just tried choosing First Class International on PayPal but it doesn't have an option for packages. I only see Letter and Envelopes. As far as I know, even 1 charm in a bubble mailer is too thick to be counted as an Envelop. How did you calculate shipping for your packages?
>>
I need help with artsbovine. I made a memopad design with a really elaborate border. But when I tried to upload the design, I saw that the bleedline border is huge as hell. They don't give you the px for the bleedline so I have no idea how small I need to make my design so none of the elaborate border gets chopped off.

It sounds like they chop off the entire bleedline border and I don't get it because then you are basically stretching what is left afterwards to fit the dimensions of the memopad... Can somebody who has printed with them give me some advice? How does their bleedline borders work??
>>
>>8943145
omg? that's so much. how do you do it anon? maybe it's just the cons i'm going to because the cons you went to are pretty big. I sell mostly cute accessories and I always share a table with my friend to cut down the cost. I'm lucky if I even get past 700
>>
>>8943259
Do you only go to small cons? I always wonder how mich people usually make at smaller cons with ~5000 attendance.
>>
>>8943259
It's because they're bigger cons, anon. I've done smaller loval cons and one day cons and make like $500 ~ $800 at those!

I also think prints are easier to sell than accessories and it takes less cost/time as well.
>>
>>8943265
I go to smaller cons mostly because those are the only thing available in my area. I'm in Florida so the cons here are not as big as Californian/northeastern cons

>>8943273
I always thought craft/dealers' merch sold a lot faster
>>
>>8943273
>I also think prints are easier to sell than accessories
huh, really? My tails sell super well, and the people I know who sell hats do very well. I guess it just depends.

Prints definitely have big advantages though. I'm sure travel is a whole lot easier if you sell prints. My accessories take up a decent amount of room, there is no way I could travel in a plane since I wouldn't be able to take my merchandise.

>>8943293
>I'm in Florida
Florida has a decent amount of cons though. Might not have giant cons, but they have a lot more mid-sized cons than other states.
>>
>>8943179
I haven't done memo pads but in my experience the bleed line on the cosmetic bags is exaggerated, I've only ever had part of my design cropped off once and it was minor.
>>
I'm super stressed about my first con coming up soon. I don't have a whole lot of prints (like 7 + some smaller postcard size ones) and some acrylic key chains. It's a small con though... I've seen others shit out a new print every other day but it takes me about a week and a half/two weeks to make a single print. Is it really shitty when you don't have a whole lot to sell for you first time..?
>>
>>8943397
No. if your work is good and you put some effort into your display (e.g don't just have everything flat on your table), it should be fine.

>>8943009
big (10K+ attendance): $4-5k
small( sub 2k attendance): $1k
I'm not an american, btw
There have been a few events where I flopped in terms of profit, but I have always made even. I sell mostly prints but have recently added keychains/buttons as lower price point options and they have helped sales a bit.
That's looking a lot cuter, anon. I like the staffs.
>>
>>8943422
>>8943160
woops, staff comment meant for this
>>
>>8943160
This face is much better an balances the whole piece nicer. Staffs don't make it cluttered cause they are both not all in the pic, and they are away from the characters. Good lucking painting it!

>>8943397
Don't be stressed. After seeing a 50 year old women sell some fugly hand drawn weird MLP doodle and strangely formed Sailor Moon at WonderCon, I think you'll be ok. I don't even know how to tell you to price them. One girl had nice pics for 30 bucks (and she sold out) and another guy who had just as nice drawings (with full backgrounds and ones that I thought were a little more interesting) sold his stuff for 8 bucks and he sold out too. That always makes me wonder, do you stick to your high prices cause you know your art will sell, or do you low ball it and still make profit cause you brought a million prints?

BTW. For those who go to BIG cons, which is better- Being in artist alley with everyone else, or being the loner within the booths of the dealers room?
>>
I'm helping another artist friend table at a convention soon. I've never sold at a convention before but I do online commissions and was wondering how people feel about non-selling tablemates (ie, i'm not selling any prints or anything) doing sketch commissions at the table?
>>
>>8943009
I sell prints and charms mainly, and some zines and other random stuff that doesn't matter. I only attend medium(7-10k attendees) and large cons (10k-20k+) and i do not return to slow cons. Right now my low end average is $5K, and total for good cons is about $10K.

If it's under 4k i usually do not return because i don't like doing more than 8-10 cons a year. There are definitely cons where there are 20K+ attendees where i do not make more than 3k and those get dropped immediately.
>>
>>8943579
I imagine it would be difficult to advertise? And most people would assume you were the artist of the whole table, lol. As an artist with artist helpers, I don't mind if they do commissions, but usually they have a defined small space with their work.
>>
Fera, if you're around, are you still doing the unicorn acrylic offer ....?

Also general thread query: For those of you that are also customers in artist alley, what 'makes' a sale for you? What's the deciding factor in whether or not you purchase something?
For me, i'm a sucker for a.) mystery/lucky packs, although sadly they're no longer allowed at many cons, and i'll buy one on sight if the art/product isn't really mediocre, even if I'm not a fan of the series. I'm also really into sets: a few artists at local cons do themed buttons or stickers with a related print purchase, and I love it.
>>
>>8943009

Large cons I make about 7k (20k+ attendance), and medium size ones about 3-5k. I don't bother going to small cons unless its a one day shopping thing and they're local. I sell mainly prints.
>>
Which con has been your highest profiting con? If you don't mind sharing - how much did you make and what do you sell?
>>
>>8944325
>>8943009
I understand why people ask these questions and i'm assuming you're either new to the AA scene or beginning to question whether or not you're maximizing your profits, but data like this is useless. Some anon can sell exact same things as you (keychains, prints, stickers, buttons etc) and you can make 500 all weekend while they make 6k. Knowing what others make will not be helpful to you, it will just try and stress you out to reach a goal that will be extremely difficult if your art is not yet of the same quality and/or if you don't have the same experience or diversity of stock. If you're a newcomer, go into your first con with no expectations, not even expect to make even. Set an individual goal based from that experience and strive to improve on it each time.
>>
>>8944290
I really love lucky packs too, even if they're B-grade pieces there's something irresistible about them.
For me, I tend to buy things I can use. Sometimes I can justify buying prints, but things like cushions, jewellery and charms are a lot easier to justify. If they're well made, unusual enough not to be from Taobao, and if the artist isn't a shitstain, I'll buy it.
>>
>>8943378
I think items that appeal to furries are a bit of an outlier. Furries are more rabid about buying furry shit than your regular weeb.
>>
>>8943524
Never sell for too little. At most go $5 below the average for old/simple work, and try not to go more than $5 above the average unless your print offers something different (like holographic film or a frame). It's best to be $30/print girl than $8/print guy, not just because of profits but because it makes everyone else (the people selling their shit for $10-25) seem overpriced and cheapens the artists' work. People are desperate to undervalue art already, don't make it easy for them.
>>8943397
If you haven't printed them yet, spend lots of time on the stuff you have. Make sure the colors and shadows/highlights make sense, make sure the background isn't wonky or out of perspective, flip them frequently, and make sure everything looks professional.
If it's already printed just make sure that they don't get bent or smudged and you should be fine. People will be more willing to give you money if there's less competition, and if you display your things nicely you'll do fine.
>>
I'm going to attend AX as an aa vendor this year, it'll be my first time tabling at an american convention so I'm nervous! I'm not really sure what to expect. I've tabled at small conventions before but never something this large, as well as how to price things for the US.
I'm going to bring charms, buttons and prints as well as an art book or two, but I'm not sure how much of what quantity to bring either, LOL.
I plan to sell some Osomatsu, JJBA and OPM as well as Gravity Falls!
If anyone has any idea how to price things//what amount that would be really great!
>>
>>8944615
Show us your tits! Er, I mean, prints! Or if you don't want us finding you by your print, post one of your art works so we can tell you if you got what it takes to be part of the great MERICA!!! conventions.
>>
File: dgykf.png (556KB, 646x984px) Image search: [Google]
dgykf.png
556KB, 646x984px
>>8944647
God, okay!! I'm kinda nervous but I don't have a very big viewer base online LOL so w/e. Here's an old drawing I was planning on printing, but probably won't because it's.. old..
>>
>>8944661
not to discourage you but there's a lot of shitposters on cgl atm, most people would've been happy giving advice and posting your work isn't a requirement

your work is cute. as long as you display your work well you'll do fine
>>
>>8944671
Yeah, I was... kind of confused about that;;

Thank you very much!!
>>
>>8944661
Needs work if you're gonna print that. The features don't fit the faces(especially Ichigo and Pudding, their eyes're popping out of their heads, and most of their mouths are weirdly positioned), their skins are too pinkish-brown, and you need to make the colors brighter and work on your rendering. The background is fine and it's a cute piece of art but once you look at it the flaws are pretty glaring and really easily fixed.
If you have more recent work, post that instead, it's hard to tell what you've got to work on if you show old work.
>>
>>8944661
this is just like the shit tumblr art that people post to rage over.
>>
>>8944671
>your work is cute
no it's not. don't lie to her.
nothing cute about this. from the shit tumblr style to the terrible anatomy and clear lack of understanding of fabric. this is bad.

i'm actually going to the farm right now to post this in the bad art thread.
>>
>>8944760
compared to 80% of the shit I see on AANI and at my local alleys, it's cute. It's heavily flawed but so is the majority of art in artist alleys: most of them are young amateurs. I don't see it as being particular tumblr unless we're counting anything that isn't super shoujo anime or gravity falls-esque western cartoon as tumblr. There's no huge red noses, flab and poorly drawn stretch lines. It just looks like someone who's trying to change from an anime style to one a bit more realistic.

not to be that bich but i seen the shit that gets posted here. she said she probably won't print it anyway in her first post?
>>
>>8944661
>>8944731
>>8944760

>image has shitty saturation and amateur stylization
> FUGGEN SJWS RUINING OUR AAS WITH THEIR TUMBLR GARBAGE

i just imagine those crappy kawaii artists from aani coming to these threads to rage at anything that doesn't have a :3 face
>>
>>8944661
I don't really get what the other anons are going on about! This is pretty cute and I think you have a style that'll stand out from the sameface morshit I see at AX every year. I do think turning up the saturation on the characters will help a lot because their base colors look muddy compared to your background. I also dislike the dodge/burn tool you've used in their hair so maybe just go with flat colors + cell shading or something like that instead of the soft brush??? But I think this could be a very solid piece with a few minor tweaks.
>>
>>8944661
I'd honestly buy this. I kinda like that the characters are a bit darker than the bg since I feel that helps grab the eye at a distance. If this is one of your older works then I think you'll do just fine.
>>
File: mew.gif (2MB, 485x739px) Image search: [Google]
mew.gif
2MB, 485x739px
>>8944661
Your art and typing style screams Tumblr which isn't very welcome here so people aren't going to be kind. People in person will most likely be the opposite though. I edited the colours and reshaped their faces while moving the features down. Hopefully the gif shows the mistakes you're making in the placement of facial features.
>>
>>8944813
unrelated, but isn't it odd that being from tumblr is hated so much when undoubtedly most of the people posting here do have one (at least an art blog) lol ?
>>
>>8944661
Their skin looks so dirty. If it was dark with actual pretty blush it would be better, but instead they look like they're having a mud-mask party. Ichigo and Lettuce's expressions are stupid compared to the other three, but Mint has a serious case of manface. Pudding needs to be closer into the center, she looks like a reject. Shade your fingers, they look weak, and HIGHLIGHT. You have no highlights apart from hair and white dots.

It looks like tumblr and oekaki had a shitty baby.
>>
File: mew.jpg (165KB, 646x984px) Image search: [Google]
mew.jpg
165KB, 646x984px
>>8944813
Here's the static image. The colours in your original are quite muddy so I made it warmer but you don't need to go overboard. Just try not to make everything look desaturated. Their chins look huge but that's because you're placing their eyes on their foreheads.

>>8944819
There are a lot of people on Tumblr like there are a lot of people here. Not everyone posts the same content on these sites but they're still judged as a whole. You can still have a blog but not have the same style or post stupid opinions, it's just that there's a lot of people who can't be distinguished between each other so you put them under the umbrella of Tumblr.
>>
>>8944661
Lettuce looks like she's trying to eat an invisible sandwich. Sorry for not having any good helpful criticism beyond that. I think others have covered the basics.
>>
File: oh anon.jpg (8KB, 250x216px) Image search: [Google]
oh anon.jpg
8KB, 250x216px
>>8944819
There's nothing wrong with being from tumblr, it's bringing the tumblr here. Shitty art impresses noone outside of tumblr.
>>
its always funny whenever someone self posts, there'll be a couple generic 'it's cute' posts, one helpful anon with a comparison and someone so insecure about their own art they just spit out whatever vitriol they can think of to try and tear the OP down to their level lel
>>
>>8944813
Maybe it's cause I don't have a tumblr but what makes this art "scream tumblr"? Is it cause of the anatomy?
>>
>>8944837
Tumblr is a cesspool for that kind of style. Dopey faces, incorrect skintones and weird anatomy. Since Tumblr is the place that hosts these people it's the go to word for it. You can find lots of examples of people who share the same style that you can't distinguish between them anymore. If you Google Image search "tumblr art style" the first result is one of the most notorious examples posted on 4chan.
>>
>>8944824
wow! That is MUCH better!
>>
I appreciate the criticisms and stuff! But as I said this piece is old (about half a year old, now, so don't worry about the picture and it's faults, I can def see them)!
I just.. would like to know how much of each type of merchandise I should bring to AX, and at what price
>>
File: tokyo mew mew cgl ps 1.png (928KB, 646x984px) Image search: [Google]
tokyo mew mew cgl ps 1.png
928KB, 646x984px
>>8944837
No, it's:
-The too-dark skin colours
-The way you drew them makes them look decidedly chubby instead of thin, and they are canonically thin
-The anatomy and proportions are off in ways very commonly found on Tumblr art (Pudding, I think, is the best example of Tumblr face)
-The way they're all posed in dynamic ways that aren't all that dynamic because they look like they're individual drawings that have been cut and pasted together- they're dynamic but kind of not
-Everyone's looking at the viewer. Pudding and Zakuro look more natural but everyone else looks forced (especially Lettuce and her blowjob face).
I don't have my tablet but I did a quick edit. I changed the colours a bit, added highlights because you seem to have left them out, and brightened it a bit. It's far from great but I hope it gives you an idea of how it can be improved.
It's shit, but not total shit, and if it's an old piece you've probably improved enough to know how to redraw the parts that need redoing.
If you decide to redo the piece please post it, like the other anon said there's been so much shitposting here lately that a very Tumblr-esque piece of art like this is going to get people salty as shit. If you redo it everyone'll calm down and you'll get more concrit.
>>
>>8944853
I actually don't think your picture is that bad. Looking at "tumblr style stuff" your stuff doesn't look too much like the examples I'm looking at. The only thing that's really off is the anatomy and color choices. The corrected version someone gave does look better though.

Post a current piece instead. Or redraw this one with better anatomy.
>>
This is probably going to sound so retarded but I've been really not confident about my art lately. I'll draw something and then see someone else draw it better and feel bad about myself. My style is generic animu and nothing special at all. my coloring style, composition etc. feel really generic as well.
Has anyone else felt this way? How did you get over it?
>>
>>8944867
Haha, thanks! I'd rather not, seeing the shitfest that was thrown over one old drawing. I just want my question answered, if I'm being honest
>>
>>8944870
Just keep drawing and focus on your own improvement rather than worrying about other artists.
>>
>>8944870
You're not going to feel better unless you see yourself improve. Try not to compare to others in a negative light, maybe you'll be as good as them one day. You can see what you're doing badly in so try to fix that. It's not going to happen overnight.
Try and find a style you're comfortable with and enjoy if you've got your anatomy down.
>>
>>8944872
>shitfest
Dude you asked for help and got help and suggestions on how to improve.
Don't pin this on other people like "woe is me they don't like my old art"
>>
>>8944880
not op but they didnt ask for help?? someone baited them into posting art after they wanted alley advice
>>
>>8944887
OP asked for help with pricing and the person replying said to post their art so people could tell them if they were good enough. That's hardly baiting and people are going to be honest or offer help if they notice something off. OP said they were confused about posting it but they didn't have to. They could have just repeated the question saying they want the average prices everyone else has.
>>
>>8944870
Look at what you drew vs what they drew and see why you like theirs more. Work on the one aspect of your art that you feel is most generic. Compare current pieces to older pieces and see how you've improved, see if you can redraw old stuff that you liked at the time but now think is total shit.
Don't get stuck in that rut, anon. Just the fact that you think you can improve is a good sign, there are so many artists (for example, Paige and Diarrhoea Unicone) who do the same ugly shit over and over again and refuse to admit they need to work on things. Accept that drawing terrible pieces is going to happen no matter your skill level, and that it takes time to improve. Don't compare yourself to great artists who are professionals or have very different styles.
It's not easy to get over, but it's something that happens quite frequently with me. I just look at what I drew and scribble in what I don't like/need to change, leave it for a few months, and redo it once I feel more confident or get insecure about my bgs/colouring/anatomy. Sometimes switching to a different medium can help, I switch between pencils and watercolours/inks quite often.
Good luck, anon, and sorry for the blog post.
>>
>>8944872
11 x 17 prints go at $15 a pop or buy two and get one free. 4 x 6 prints are around $3-$4. I just carry leftover stock so I bring anywhere from 15-30 copies per print. Since you're coming from another country, you can probably bring less and print more at Office Depot/Staples when you run out!! I hope this helps. Sorry for how out of hand this has gotten.

>>8944856
Lmao, anon this edit looks like shit. Your highlights so incredibly bad. You made an okay drawing look terrible.
>>
>>8944853

Whoooaaa. Ok, everyone needs to chill. First off, I'm >>8944647, so good on you for having the balls to post your art, unlike the 99% of people here who say they all have booths.

And two, what's tumblr style? Like...not 100% anime looking? Like it doesn't look like official art the studio of the show churned out? Like no offense to >>8944661, but I wouldn't buy this piece cause it looks so standard. It being "not cute" like people are saying "or looks tumblr" has nothing to do with it. I agree with making it a little brighter though. Regardless though, if you were to sell that type of piece, people WILL buy it. So welcome to MERICA!!! and good luck. You'll do fine.
>>
>>8944899
>>8944910

Thank you guys! And thank you >>8944910, I definitely understand where you're coming from when you say it looks too standard. I want to study and look at some of TRIGGER staff's composition and lines, as their stuff is always fun and interesting to look at. I'll work on my drawings before I come!! Thank you very much.
>>
>>8944917

And if you saw in the last thread, we literally all agreeded how butthurt we were about the guy who sells GOLD BUCKETS WORTH of front view faces of characters. Literally just traced, blown up to an 11x17 paper, and he banks BANK. And we're mad we didn't do it first. You have talent, so enjoy making sales. It's nice to see cash in exchange of your shitty art. (and yours isn't. It's just dull IMHO)
>>
>>8944899
Kek, I know, my tablet died and I had to use a mouse.
>>
File: 1457790047341.png (262KB, 700x573px) Image search: [Google]
1457790047341.png
262KB, 700x573px
>>8944661
If this is tumblr art then this is the tamest one, lmao. I like this a lot, just make the colors a little brighter, they seem really muted compared to the background.
>>
>>8944856
>It's far from great
Yeah, you managed to make it even worse. If anything, you sound like an artist straight from tumblr themselves. I'm reminded of that time when tumblr lost it's shit over that one Korra drawing with the dramatic lighting and how one edit just gave her really fucking dark brown skin which didn't make sense given the lighting situation.

Just because you have some nitpicks based on personal preference (which, considering the overall context of the image, are precisely that- personal preferences) doesn't suddenly make you some sort of redline god.

This looks like shit and you should feel like shit. Get your cocky damn head out of your ass and learn some fucking color theory before you attempt to shit on others.
>>
>>8944824
I like Blue's and Violet's original faces better. Best improvements are for Pink's and Green's. But yeah, the art looks okay. I wouldn't buy it because I like cute artstyles, but I think it would sell at an American con as long you have pieces with colors that pop more.
>>
>>8944875
>>8944877
>>8944898
I was frustrated when I wrote my original post since I recently reconnected with a friend from middle school and her work has gone from awkward cell-shaded animu to gorgeous paintings with dramatic lighting and she has a really distinct style too.
I felt bad since I felt like I haven't improved a lot since middle school, which was 7-8 years ago, but I took a look at what old art that I still have on my middle school Deviantart and realized that I have improved tremendously, especially since I could barely even draw a person back then.
I've pretty much got anatomy down so I'll experiment with different things over the next couple of days. I hoping to start with faces, especially eyes. I know it sounds really generic and noob but I've always been really partial to artists whose style(s) have distinct eyes.

Thanks anons!
(and also sorry for blog post)
>>
>>8945147
This is kind of how I feel at the moment.

I've gotten so much better in the past three years, but my style feels so.. Clean and generic. The best description would be 1970s minimalist anime - Which is fine for animation, but impossible to make nice prints out of because it's so damn sterile.
I'm so jelly of artists who pump out same-face scribble prints and make bank off of it, like Heather Mahler and Mel Stringer.

I'm just putting everything on hold right now and doing as many doodles as I can each night to develop it into something more.
>>
>>8944819
for the last fucking time, when people say 'from tumblr' they mean the shit you associate with tumblr. like 14 year old SJWs that need to make terrible fanart with everyone being overweight trans poc. the website itself is known for being a cesspool of underage armchair activist weebshit transtrender safe space trigger warning garbage, that's all it means.
>>
>>8945186
>1970s minimalist anime
NGL, I fucking love that shit. I don't think it's impossible to make nice prints of that stuff, either. You just need to find a way to make it work to your advantage. Maybe try experimenting with loud colors or maybe even play into that minimalist style by using a limited pallette and screentones.

>>8945147
I feel this way, too, sometimes anon and I wish you good luck! IMO, it's best not to worry too much about creating a distinct style.
>>
>>8944819
But there's "having a tumblr" and "being tumblr." "Being tumblr" is more like "this is my transheadcanon for Nico!" and "This Japanese show about Japanese characters in Japan needs more people of color!"

Tumblr art encompasses a lot of these things like people who draw characters at 3x their body size and give them darker skin and do their best to make them look "not anime" by giving them awkward faces.
>>
How does one start up a shop without having much of an internet presence?
>>
>>8945244
Make sure you tag your shit with the appropriate fandom/item. I had an etsy for a short while and didn't expect to make much off of it, but still managed a bunch of sales of some of my more popular prints.

Then, wherever you DO have presence, advertise it so people know. From there, it's staying consistent and fulfilling orders regularly and continuing to network.
>>
I'm not trying to annoy anybody, but I can never understand why people get so angry over other artists' art. If you don't like it, can't you just ignore it? Of course, unless they ask for concrit. Who cares if they're art sucks/is ugly and needs to improve so many things but are still posting art on tumblr/popular/making money? If there is an audience for them, good for them. A non-artist won't even notice the little things or the glaringly obvious mistakes you notice, so I think it's less stressful to just ignore other people's ugly shit. I mean, it's their loss,not yours, if they don't realize their mistakes and don't improve...
>>
>>8945712
Honestly, I wished there was someone to point out my mistakes when I was a worse artist. Plus I'm pretty sure those who are critiquing aren't angry at all. At worst, it's like "lol this is so awful what were they thinking".
>>
>>8945712
I don't think people get particularly angry over the art itself, if someone's a bad artist we just tell them how to improve.
I think /cgl/ as a whole only gets pissed off when the artist refuses to take any form of concrit they've asked for or when it's art clearly made to get brownie points from the SJW crowd, like that infamous Love Live pic from an otherwise okay artist. Trying to be 'diverse' and 'empowering' to them means drawing a fat woman with a shaved head in tiny clothes with a caption saying 'Queen'. The artists are often pretentious and desperate to cry oppression and get triggered by people breathing too loudly and are universally hated by everyone outside their tiny circle. We rage about their art because it's so shit and yet they can't seem to stop being asses about how everyone who doesn't like it is a big meanie boo boo who needs to die now uwu.
Also, concrit is a way to make people learn how to draw better. It's not a personal attack, it's not a murderous blow to their speshul beliefs, it's not a pack of horrible people descending on someone's askbox and telling them to die. The artists we hate are the ones who try to justify their mistakes instead of accepting concrit, who whinge about how they're not getting enough asspats, and who gather a crowd of bullies on Tumblr to correct anyone who dares disagree with them.
>>
>>8945721
Oh yeah, definitely. I didn't mean to make it sound like everybody's angry. And concrit is great. Just, sometimes there are people who are just mean and angry about a random person's art and I wonder why they get so worked up over it.
>>
I wonder, how many people who do this artist alley stuff claim themselves as a business and file taxes? I have a friend of mine who wants to get into it and I told her if she's investing so much in that she'd have to call herself a business and file taxes and she gave me this look like she never even considered that
>>
>>8946003
I'd think most people do; a lot of cons require you to have some kind of sales or tax license to sell there, so you kind of have to, right?

I don't blame your friend for not considering it, though. I didn't either before I actually decided to seriously look into applying for AAs.
>>
Hey anons, I updated the Artist Alley Guide with AA 2016 w/ new attendance column (some cons don't have recent attendance counts online or at all). Please supply the info on table pricing if you've applied for a table at any of these cons! I think all the AA tables through July are closed?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=533192344
>>
>>8946103
The info on ALA was outdated so I updated that and filled in stuff for San Japan. Otakon reg is closed right now too. I can update info on that after lunch.
>>
>>8943009

I sell prints, charms, and buttons but only do about 1 artist alley a year because of school. It's a mid size con and I make about $2500. I know I need to really up the quality of my prints and reduce the overall variety; I feel like I also have too many offerings and that's not helping.
>>
>>8946125
Thanks! I just copy & pasted the info from 2014 when the doc started, so everything except dates & attendance might be off for previously listed cons.

Anyone can add more cons too! The list is probably missing a few big cons in some states/Canada.
>>
Why not post images of artists we follow that say, Hey look at this print I just made for blah blah con. That way you can actually see what your up against.
>>
>>8946454
what?
>>
>>8943172
Depends on who I'm shipping it through, but like usps, ups, fed ex.. They all charge differently so I go by thier online package calculators.
>>
>>8946454
Huh?
>>
>>8945721
I agree with you (I could've definitely used harsher concrit when I was younger and drawing doritos with giant tits, lol), but stuff like >>8944760
this is such a childish and rancid response to a piece they don't like. Sure, they point out what they hate about it, but the whole 'i'm going to a different site to post it on a bad art thread' thing is just plain vindictive, for literally no reason other than to make the artist feel like shit.
>>
>>8946536
To be fair she points out bad anatomy and clothing. I definitely understand what you mean though, but it looks more like it was directed towards the person who just gave the asspats instead of the artist.
>>
>>8946553
>To be fair she points out bad anatomy and clothing
But she doesn't explain what's wrong with her anatomy and clothing. If yo're going to tell someone they're doing something wrong without telling them what they did wrong, you're just bitching to be bitching.

>it looks more like it was directed towards the person who just gave the asspats

That's still pretty petty, though
"I think it's cute"
"no, you're wrong, it's bad and ugly and i'm going to tell everyone how bad and ugly it is"

That just sounds like bitchiness
>>
>>8944910
>And two, what's tumblr style? Like...not 100% anime looking?
Not exactly

Anyway, why are they fat and brownish/pink toned though? They're teenage japanese girls that run around and fight evil aliens every day, it's not like they just sit around in the sun and eat donuts. This is probably why peopel associate it with tumblr art, they're so thick and dark-skinned.
>>
>>8946576
Yeah that's true. I guess I was just pointing out she didn't just say 'it's ugly you suck' or something.
>>
File: tokyo mewmew.jpg (300KB, 1500x983px) Image search: [Google]
tokyo mewmew.jpg
300KB, 1500x983px
>>8946582
Anon, I don't even know which one you're referring to as fat... none of them are drawn "fat" (Especially if you look at the way OP drew Mint and Zakuro - I can see arguments for Ichigo being consider "chubby" but she's just got some normal sized thighs).

I do agree that the skin colors were dull/muddy and needed to be fixed but uh 1) you know Japanese people come in varying shades of colors right? Not every Japanese person is gonna be pale white? (E. Asian here). and 2) Pudding is actually tanner than everyone else in canon so although OP sort of went overboard with it it's not like they were pulling shit out of their ass.

tl;dr - I agree there were some issues with that original image but can we drop the "weh weh tumblr style" argument please?
>>
>>8946607
the only thing keeping the tumblr argument alive is you people who keep vehemently arguing against it. most of the replies were to 'why does it look tumblry?' if you want it to die, let it.
>>
>>8944813
I like the old one better, this is pretty shitty
>>
>>8946628
I was literally answering their question w/ a canon reason why one of the characters might be browner than the other one but okay. "Tumblr style" isn't a real thing but keep on doing your thing I guess.

>>8946423
Added in info for Otakon as well as updating info for Megacon and a warning about AwesomeCon.
>>
>>8946607
>none of them are drawn "fat"
For a bunch of 13 year olds they look like obese Americans.
>>
>>8946654
>tumblr style isn't a real thing

oh fuck just stop.
>>
>>8946660
go away anachan
>>
So

Would anyone buy dragon waifu/husbando pillows?

Grigori and all that.
>>
>>8946701
reading the first line i was initially hopeful for deathwing/alexstrasza/nozdormu etc but i would be down for other dragons too
beware being mistaken for a furry stall if they occupy a lot of your display space
>>
Would anybody mind giving me a brief personal run down of their experience with either:
- Acorn Press
- Chilly Pig
- Ink It Labs
? Mostly in regards to customer service and color accuracy. I've been reading reviews but a lot of them are fairly outdated.
>>
>>8946784
Acorn Press: Really slow at replying to emails. Friendly otherwise and very willing to work with you for your order. Colour accuracy is decent, one of my designs was a little desaturated but that was possibly an error on my half.
Inkit: Professional and fast service, although I had a printing issue with part of my order and it took a bit of wrangling to get them to reprint it (they were very adamant that there was no 'mistake' and it was how I had formatted my files...). Good colour matching.
>>
>>8946797
The owner of Acorn Press is also a seagull and comes in here often.
>>
>>8946899
Does not mean they are immune to reviews. If someone asked for opinions on smashpansy's or yosb's merch, they don't get a free pass because they're also gulls.

but yes, they do come here although email is more reliable if you have a query specific to your order.
>>
>>8946916
I don't think they're trying to say AcornPress is immune to reviews. They're just saying that they come in here a lot and is part of the "community" if you can call an anonymous message board that.
>>
File: redraw[12].png (754KB, 646x984px) Image search: [Google]
redraw[12].png
754KB, 646x984px
>>8944661
the colours in >>8944813 are pretty ehhh
>>
File: redraw[12].png (753KB, 646x984px) Image search: [Google]
redraw[12].png
753KB, 646x984px
>>8946925
oops wrong one
>>
File: no.png (45KB, 262x187px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
45KB, 262x187px
>>8946607
Anon, i do admit that the character is slightly darker if you squint but it's virtually invisible compared to the other characters.

I'm asian too and someone in tumblr posted shit about me and said I was whitewashing and didn't draw a character "POC enough" because of something like this, nobody else even ever draw that character with dark skin.

God.
>>
>>8946607
I's worth noting that /cgl/ has INCREDIBLY warped views of skintone (really evident in skincare/makeup threads.) where 'the whiter the better because my nippon magazine idorus are white~'

If I were to draw Japanese girls in a realistic or semi-realistic way (as opposed to heavy anime/cartoon styling) I would definitely make them darker because the vast majority of Japanese girls ARE darker skinned, close to the milktea tone of the original picture.
This is the same as tweaking the tones/hues of other colours like their clothing and hair to make it more realistic and to suit the style of the piece.

If I were doing a heavily stylized piece, I'd make the colours as screen-accurate as possible, including the skintone - Because these tones are MEANT to be representational and extreme.

>TL;DR Whether or not it is 'Tumblr' in an absolute non-issue. If you're going to try to give constructive criticism, focus on what will benefit the piece at hand and stop blabbering on about your own preferences and bias.
>>
>>8946938
Thank you, anon. The "IT'S SO TUMBLR" kneejerk reaction is so tiring in these threads. Actually give constructive criticism instead of doing shitty edits like >>8944856

What you said about picking color palettes based on stylization/direction of the piece is spot on.
>>
>>8946938
>If I were doing a heavily stylized piece, I'd make the colours as screen-accurate as possible, including the skintone - Because these tones are MEANT to be representational and extreme.

Obviously looking at the :3 face on the characters this is meant to be a heavily stylised piece. I don't mind them being a little chubbier but the skintone is slowly killing me. It's not even because they're dark, it's because they look like they have bathed in mud and there are no highlights apart from the occasional stark white?

I agree that it has tumblr traits but, guess hat? That shit sells. That's why tumblr is such a fucking huge platform.

>do crafty pieces because that's accepted in AAs here
>contemplating doing "my pronouns are ___" badges just to pander.
>>
>>8946996
if you do decide to do pandering shit, whatever crafty thing you make, make it in the colors of the dozens of 'pride' flags to go with it.
>>
>>8946916
I just meant that you could communicate with them through here, and have given away samples of their products in this thread. It didn't have anything to do with reviews.
>>
>>8946927
What's up with the random white chins?
>>
>>8944661
I dig this, aside from what others have said about the desaturation I'd be all over this
>>
I think with giving critiques on this thread that people should read over what has already been pointed out or said. Unless you have something extra or a better explanation it's pretty redundant to point out something after the first two times it has been commented on. There's a point when what could be constructive criticism becomes completely unnecessary. That said, it can be beneficial to say "I agree with what anon said in x" to show the view is not an isolated one.
>>
Dear AA General,

How much are you guys charging for prints these days? A4s and Postcard?
>>
>>8947174
11x17, 15 each, buy 2 get 1 free
4x6, 3 each, 2 for 5
>>
>>8947174

I charge $15 for large prints (11x14, 11x17) and $5 for postcard prints. All prints are buy 2 get 1 free.
>>
Anyone know if Anime Expo provides a tablecloth for the AA tables? I'm flying in and if I can get rid of extra weight that would be lovely.
>>
>>8947593
AX doesn't provide artists table cloths, just their table name/number and two chairs per table
>>
>>8947677
Thanks anon, this helps a ton!
>>
>>8946454
lol Husbando daki.
>>
>>8946701
>>8946705
W-wrathion pls
>>
>>8947739
Oh my god I'm so tempted to try out a design for this. Flipside would be a qt small dragonform Wrathion.
>>
>>8947739
Seconding this if he's in his human form.
>>
>>8947739
i know you mean
>hnngh husbando human wrathion
but i wish there was more WoW dragon merch in general. anything whelpling would be an instabuy for me.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 724x753px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 724x753px
>buzzfeed "article"
>"omg all these Chinese sellers are scammers!!11!"
>"everything made in China is horrible!"
>"THIS IS WHY I ONLY PAY FOR GOOD QUALITY SHIT" (it's probably made in China)

The fuck even happened to AANI?
>>
>>8948296
>Ohio Kimono

literally going to go back on facebook right now just so I can report this person for having a stupid-ass fake name. I don't care if people have fake names on facebook but if they're retarded like Princess Kaori Chan or something I'm reporting you because I'm a salty bitch with nothing better to do
>>
>>8948296
I need to know what she and all the people who commented make if they aren't getting their stuff made from Vograce, Artsmoo, or another Chinese source. Even then I'm pretty sure some part of their production comes from China. When will they learn that Chinese makers don't always equate to bad quality?
>>
>>8948321
:^) they're all perler bead, shitty :3 sculpey food and soap 'artists'
>>
File: image.png (210KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
210KB, 750x1334px
>>8948334
>>8948300
"Ohio Kimono" has literally never posted anything for SPS or WIPW, only shared those posts that should belong on her own timeline. She also admitted to trying to buy likes.
>>
>>8948346
i was making a joke, anon. about how a lot of the 'crafters' on AANI have a superiority complex over 2d artists.
>>
>>8948296
>Changed her facebook name to Ohio Kimono
>Posts a literal buzzfeed article that isn't even related to AA
What is this shit.
>>
Hoping to get some advice, recently have a bunch of people ask to buy some charms from me, but wondering how everyone ships them? I'll be one of those non-original artists putting acrylic star charms on it, wondering how to package them so they won't break. That's my biggest worry. Tried to google fu answers, all I got was ~old reviews from zap and ink it~
>>
>>8948520
they're pretty hard to break unless they're really thin (width wise) ? just put it in a bubble mailer.
>>
>>8948527
I'm not worried about the charms themselves, it's the ebay/alibaba acrylic star charms I'm more worried about. I'll just leave them off then, or add extra padding. Thanks for the advice. I'll use some bubble mailers.
>>
>>8948531
You can try wrapping them in little crepe paper parcels and then the bubble envelope.
If they survived being shipped to you in a big ol' pile from China, they'll survive in a bubble envelope.
>>
>>8948531
oh, my bad. I just had a bunch arrive myself and if they're securely wrapped with the charm they shouldn't be at risk of damage.
>>
Is anybody in contact with Fera and knows if they're ok? I sent them an email 2-3 weeks ago without a response and they haven't updated the blog or posted on AANI recently or anything.
>>
hey just looking for some thougts on this work in progress, I'm very new to digital
>>
>>8948842
Nice lines but too static and blank, the eyes just look mirrored and crossed , and the lips are way too big
Kinda desaturated too
>>
File: suggestion.png (232KB, 711x660px) Image search: [Google]
suggestion.png
232KB, 711x660px
>>8948842
its very pretty and your lines are nice, but its a bit...bland? like, it has very little personality. considering the type of character she is, I think even a small smile would be nice. I personally would like to see something breaking up the symmetry, perhaps her hands? I also agree with
>>8948847
about the lips being too big, but i can see what you're going for stylistically.
I hope you don't mind, i made a few edits just to illustrate my suggestions (forgive the clunkiness, i don't have my tablet with me, haha)
>>
>>8948887
yeah i was having trouble with the eyes, i kept doing hem over and over and it just wasn't coming out right
and yeah, haha, I love huge lips, thanks for reigning me in. i'll make some adjustments.
it's got a pink layer over it, that's why it's kinda desaturated
>>
>>8948842
As far as a simple graphic piece this is quite nice! I agree with all the critique that has been posted so far, though.

If you plan on having these made into charms I might suggest making the lines for the hair darker (or just order a sample to see how it comes off in print).
>>
>>8948842
it looks like you just made a lot of noob mistakes.
>when mirroring eyes, don't mirror the highligts/glare
it makes her look crosseyed/it just looks bad/lazy in general(in fact mirroring things too much generally looks a bit lazy)
>putting too much detail into face, not enough anywhere else
the face looks like it's part of a different drawing. the only sign of highlights anywhere else are on her tiara/hair accessories, pretty much everything else needs atleast something
>lines being too thick/same thickness
when drawing digitally a really important part is pressure sensitivity without it, the lines are really boring and it gives the artwork a coloring book look to it. you can really bring the art up to a different level just by using sensitivity, or using the art program to mimic it.

as far as general digital art help,
>layers are everything, you can never have enough
>highlights, even vivid ones don't have to be pure white, adding lighter versions of the base color can create tons more depth
>don't be afraid to experiment, it's different from traditional art and part of the fun is developing your own style with the freedom to basically draw, color and work while being able to undo, redo or fix problems more easily
>>
Kind of a dumb question, but is there plastic you need to remove from the back of vograce's single side, clear charms? I know there is on the front, but some plastic just peeled off from the back of one of my charms and I'm unsure if that was supposed to happen lmao.
>>
What do you guys think about using collapsible cloth storage cubes instead of wire cubes? I just need something light for stickers and don't want to carry around pvc pipes or wire cubes when I only have a couple of prints. Do you think this is a good idea?
>>
So I'm trying to mail a charm to Canada. Can one charm in a bubble mailer considered a large envelope? It seems way too thick to be an envelope but I see people do this all the time.
>>
>>8949392
As long as you can attach it to the table somehow? You don't want it being whacked off the table or falling off because someone's cosplay hits and shakes the table.
>>
>>8949251
Yeah, I peeled plastic off both sides. With the film on it, they look a little frosted/fuzzy. Can't imagine it's supposed to stay on.
>>
>>8948720
I'm having the same experience, sent them a few emails over a couple weeks and no response. I hope they're ok, wish they could have made a blog post or something though :O
>>
>>8949231
Not that anon, but I think the person who edited the pic did the mirroring.

Personally I think line width could be a style thing. I myself like line variation, but I feel like it kind of suits this pic. Not sure though, I could be a black sheep. Besides that, I agree with everything else!
>>
>>8948520
I recently bought a charm with an acrylic star! It was shipped to me with the star wrapped up; I think any material like paper or tissue paper would be fine. I'd be more concerned about the star scratching the charm or vice versa, but I don't think you need to worry about the stars breaking!
>>
>>8948842
The pronounced nose and huge lips make her look like an albino black woman.
>>
Did someone really post a baby as part of their WIPW on AANI? That group is a joke.
>>
>>8948847
>>8948887
>>8949210
>>8949231
Sailor moon anon here, I'm going to scrap this and redo the original drawing. It looked okay on paper but now I'm just not happy with it. I'll try something different and come back
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 750x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 750x794px
>>8949635
>Hold still Desmond. Mommy is an irreparable attention whore who needs to get a good Instagram filtered picture of you to post you in an Artist Alley group for asspats and compliments.
>>
>>8949635
>>8949665
Are you honestly surprised?
it's gross
>>
File: image.png (242KB, 559x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
242KB, 559x460px
>>8949677
>>8949665
Too bad people can't be like "your baby isn't aa related" without huge backlash.
>>
>>8949665

New mom attention whores are literally the worst. Who the fuck cares about your spawn. That's right, no one. Keep that shit for your mom.

I'll never post my fucking spawn on fb. First of all, it's fuckin attention whoring. Second of all, if they want to make an idiot of themselves later on fine but I'm not going to do that job for them.
>>
File: shia.gif (496KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
shia.gif
496KB, 245x250px
>>8949681
I was literally about to until I decided I didn't want to be banned and shunned by the entire AA community.
>>
>>8949635
Disgusting. On par with the shitty art and ultrasound photos for WIPW posts. Because it's something the artist is working on -_-
>>
>>8949681
With Sakky Forde as admin, backlash is guaranteed since she had a kid.
>>
>>8949665
I get she's excited about her baby, and that's all well and good, the world is proud of her, etc etc. But it has nothing to do with the group and it's just showing off. Save that shit for your private FB page with friends and family who actually care. I don't post my dog's shit all over WIPW just because it was something my dog 'worked on'.
>>
>>8949907
I almost want to post a picture of a canvas that my dog splattered paint across and be like "happy WIPW! I'm a proud artist doggy mommy now. :)" but I'm not really interested in getting a ton of negative comments from people in that group.

>>8949781
The admin team is essentially useless by now. AANI looks like a 50-year-old woman's Facebook wall where she believes that every video she sees is 100% true and accurate like that color picker pen video that's obviously fake.
>>
>>8949762
>ultrasound photos
What the fuck, did someone seriously?
>>
Hey everyone, sorry if I've been a bit hard to get a hold of lately! I've been working day and night these past few weeks on building our new printer and getting it up and running, and I've been hard-pressed to find much time to respond to things other than active orders.

Fortunately, I do check out these threads when I do have a bit of evening downtime. I'll see if can't set aside some time this evening to dig through my emails and respond to anything I've accidentally let sit. Feel free to toss another email my way if you think it might've gotten buried.

Seriously excited about this new printer though. Higher quality, larger color range, faster production, etc. is right around the corner! Also more effects and materials coming soon, some big updates in store.
>>
>>8949987
Dumb question, but what is it that you make? I've only lurked here a few months
>>
>>8949990
for future reference, old posts are archived on warosu and rebeccablacktech and you can search for specific keywords.
>>
>>8949987
Thanks for updating us! I'm stoked for the shimmery black & white, and any other colors you might be adding!
>>
>>8949987
glad you're okay, was worried about something happening. busy is good though! that's exciting about the new printer, i'm definitely keen to see what new options will be available!

>>8949392
they might be okay if you can stablize them internally with something (thick card or something) and if you weighted the bottom cubes but I would be really worried about them being knocked down because of their weight.
>>
>>8949994
thank you
>>
Side note on some of the shitty WIPW updates, at least the bloody unicorn plush girl hasn't updated? Or did I miss it by some miracle?
>>
>>8950096
I haven't seen it either and I don't want to look for it but this showed up on my timeline...
>>
>>8950096
she's between manufacturers atm if i'm recalling correctly, so it might be awhile before the next update.

i love wipw and sps. there's always a few where i'm like....i can't believe you sell at AA's. but there's also a few gems! I liked the FE bag post and the octopus girl wip this week.
>>
just wondering but what would you anons think if I posted a wipw or sps post even though I don't sell in artist alleys anymore? I still have an online store where I sell prints, bags, and charms, but I'm no longer able to attend artist alleys as of this year due to life obligations.
>>
File: LuluWIPfuuucksomuchhairtopaint.jpg (333KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LuluWIPfuuucksomuchhairtopaint.jpg
333KB, 1920x1080px
Well since we're posting shitty WIPs, I thought I would post mine for you all. I can see it being so cool when I'm done, but I can't bring myself to touch it more that 10 minutes per night. This is why I'll never have a booth. Some artist churn out Mona Lisa's in 24 hours and I'm here drawing on the sketch layer. Whoops.

>They'reallgoingtolaughatyou.gif
>>
File: fuck off tim.png (201KB, 567x911px) Image search: [Google]
fuck off tim.png
201KB, 567x911px
>most embarrassing behaviour
>>
File: 1444127174778.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1444127174778.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>8950157
>You actually took the AA reply seriously.

What an absolute cock.
>>
>>8950128
It burns

>>8950157
Also jesus Tim, I thought you were generally okay, what is this? Why you bein' a cunt?
>>
>>8950157
>>8950158
what?

>>8950149
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I would really look at knkl (just look that up on youtube) and see how he handles drawing/painting yordles (and colour and rendering in general). the sketch was so cute but I feel like the painting could use a bit of work

>>8950144
I think that's fine. People who have never done alley's before post on WIPW or SPS so i don't see how someone who NO LONGER does alleys (but still sells online) is any different.
>>
>>8950165
it's a troll, not actually Tim (hopefully). their second comment doesn't sound like Tim at all.
>>
>>8950165
Tim hasn't posted all day. Why would they post to shit on someone now?
>>
>>8950169
>knkl

Oh nice! I'll totally watch his vids. Looks like he knows what he's talking about and I like how he doesn't use super special brushes. Thanks for the tip.
>>
File: tumblr_o58dtmluPy1rfurs9o1_1280.jpg (133KB, 667x893px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o58dtmluPy1rfurs9o1_1280.jpg
133KB, 667x893px
>>8946582
You've ruined my life. Now I can't unsee this.
>>
File: 20160330_010113.jpg (85KB, 624x512px) Image search: [Google]
20160330_010113.jpg
85KB, 624x512px
>>8948115
>>8948247
>>8948293
sweats
>>
>>8950236
is this your merch?? do you have a store?
>>
>>8950191
Wtf is with the proportions on that drawing? She'd look ridiculous standing up with that tiny torso and huge things.
>>
File: why are you like this.jpg (70KB, 540x370px) Image search: [Google]
why are you like this.jpg
70KB, 540x370px
>>8950240
It's not, i'm just a piece of WoW shit who loves their work. They have a store I can link ya.
www.etsy.com/shop/Azerothgrocerystore
>>
>>8950236
Give those to me right now. Shiiiiit that's cute. And nobody ever makes merch of my dragon brat husband. I wish the fish in his mouth was....different? Or outlined with a thicker line? Maybe if it was a different color? Tan fish on brown skin? I thought for a second your company fucked up his face and ruined it, but then I was like ooooo it's a fish, and he's a cat.. Took me a second to realize he was a kitty cat. Whatever, I still want the set.
>>
>>8950243
If it's not your merch, why are you sweating?
>>
>>8950149
That's going to look whimsical as fuck if you amp up the saturation later. Keep going dude.
>>
>>8950149
As well as knkl like the other anon mentioned (his stuff about hue shifts and colour really helped me), I would recommend doing a rough coloured ver so you're not jumping into colouring blind. It helps to plan and see what colours work well together as a whole, and being able to adjust them beforehand.
>>
>>8950249
Wasn't trying to pass it off as mine. Just a fandom to feel a bit ashamed of on my part.
>>
>>8950191
>>8950241
The torso/leg proportions are fine. It's the itty bitty turkey feet that looks stupid.

You've gotta admit though, this shit sells like hotcakes. Look at Heather Mahler and Mel Stringer.
(And Mel is one of those 'fat artists' who thinks her shit doesn't stink.)
>>
>>8950191
NGL, I love shit like that if it's done well.
>>
>>8950280
As long as you like this pairing you have nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, that makes you better than the rest.
>>
It's still a ways out, but anyone have experience selling at Kumoricon or advice for the best application for their portfolio review process?

They're in the Oregon Convention Center in Portland for the first time this year, and I'm betting that can only be good news for the AA.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 580x937px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 580x937px
I'm about to bust out into tears
>>
>>8944661
looks really good, but i'd brighten/saturate the colors and make lettuce not winking! also some variation in skin tone besides a brownish pink color would be nice! i think zakuro fits the current skin tone though
keep up the good work!
>>
File: 023.jpg (24KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
24KB, 512x384px
>>8951401
That super smug caption really is the cherry on top, too.
>>
File: dead honk.jpg (40KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
dead honk.jpg
40KB, 500x281px
>>8951401
This kills the man
>>
>>8951401
>>
File: 1444258221586.jpg (28KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
1444258221586.jpg
28KB, 400x562px
>>8951401
Is... a parody?

Why... are the originals disgusting? I don't.. understand
>>
>>8951414
Ugh anon they're too SEXUAL jesus christ what are you some kind of cis scum?
>>
>>8951401
The outfit they gave Kotori would be cuter if they didn't make the front so damn baggy.

Maki's is just a mess.
>>
For online selling, how do you decide what to charge for commissions?
Is it the norm to send a physical and digital copy?
>>
>>8951414
no one likes skinny whitewashed girls anymore
>>
Does anyone bring T-shirts to cons? How many of each size do you bring? I figure most people will be an M or L.
>>
I know Disney is off limits, but I've seen established artists sell Kingdom Hearts. Would that be okay since they belong to Square Enix, or is it still a nono since it's partially owned by Disney and features their characters?
>>
>>8951443
but... they're supposed to be asian? Well, one of them is white. I wonder what they did with her.
>>
>>8951496
I dunno, man. I'm all for drawing little Japanese girls in accurate skintones, but youve gotta admit that there's no chance in hell of a girl as dark as those re-draws becoming an idol in Japan.

>Which is kind of sad.
>>
>>8951401
Why does Kotori have microcephaly
>>
>>8951496
>One of them is white
Who is? Eli is mixed right? Or do you mean one of the randoms from the game like Jennifer or whatever?
>>
>>8951443
Showing all that horrible icky evil sinful skin they must cover all in the name of alla--uh, feminism.
>>
Has anybody else ordered from Stickeryou? I made an order with them and it's been about a week since my estimated delivery date and I paid for express. :/
>>
>>8951631
no, but if/when they arrive, would you mind reviewing their quality? I've been curious for awhile about using them.
>>
>>8951551
I'm more intrigued why the artist decided to give her 8 fingers while Maki has 10
>>
>>8951401
>artist is fan of an idol animu
>fan of characters in series
>"idol" is a questionable concept for young girls to be put into
>underaged characters in questionable outfits
>WAAAH WAAAH IT'S TOTALLY ALRIGHT AND FEMINISM IF I JUST DRAW THEM BLACK AND CHUBBY GUYS!!

God, the fucking hypocrisis. It's one thing to like something that might be ~problematic~, but don't try to cover it up with some bullshit way to draw the characters. Either accept it or don't.
>>
>>8951556
Oh, she must be half? Blue eyes- blonde hair. MMM HMMM.
>>
File: S2e5_melody_appearance.png (225KB, 286x803px) Image search: [Google]
S2e5_melody_appearance.png
225KB, 286x803px
>>8946582
but half of that is just contemporary art style.
>>
>>8951811
eg:
Lazy shit.
>>
Somewhat AA related. I sell acrylic necklaces and whenever I ship them they always break. I've altered designs, gotten thicker acrylic, wrapped them in enough bubble wrap to protect a baby thrown off a baby and they still break.. Any solutions? I currently use the bubble priority envelope from USPS. Should I switch to boxes or the padded thick envelopes from Office depot?
>>
>>8951814
i don't think it's any more 'lazy' than classical disney style or the majority of mainstream anime, lol. it's uglier (at least imo) though.
>>
>>8951823
Classical disney was hand drawn frame by frame for animation. 'contemporary' stuff is all done digitally. There is a big quality difference in your examples freind, you really can't deny that it's lazy animation and lazy design.
>>
>>8951828
LMAO because there wasn't an alternative to doing hand drawn. Time taken doesn't equal quality. animation design is almost always 'lazy' because of the nature of animation, unless it's some art based film. you can wank off to cinderella all you want, its character design/style was no more inspired than steven universe or gravity falls or equivalent contemporary cartoon
>>
>>8951838
>>8951828
>>8951823
>>8951814
can we not do this in the artist alley thread? take that shit to an art based board or tumblr or make an angry facebook status.
>>
>>8951472
I always hear people say "Disney is off limits", but has that really stopped anyone?

I've been in Orlando, aka one of the hearts of the Mouse Leviathan, and I frequently see AA tables that are nothing BUT Disney properties.

>Checking out Megacon Fandays
>One woman has 8 solid feet of Disney characters done in watercolors and colored pencils
>Looks nice, but wow, every pose seems really familiar
>Oh, she's doing a commission of Ariel
>she's drawing the image straight from the coloring book open next to her
>fucking disgusting
>>
>>8946927
You can't just highlight the faces and call it a day, like this it looks unfinished and incoherent.
>>
>>8951631
I've ordered from them many times. They're generally slow to do anything, but never I've never had an order be THAT late. I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>8950292
Holy shit I didn't even see the feet
>>
>>8952002
I'm wondering if it's because i'm international...luckily I gave myself a couple of weeks leeway but I haven't even gotten a tracking number (despite sending them an email and getting a vague, noncommital response). If my order doesn't arrive next week I'll push for that store credit/shipping refund.
>>
>>8951645
Decently in-depth video review of Stickeryou if you're interested -
https://youtu.be/6q_D6cr0BJc
>>
>>8949397
Does anybody know if bubble mailers can be considered large envelopes when shippinginternationally via paypal?
>>
>>8952600
Yes, if it's not a box and it's thicker than a regular letter envelope full of paper its a "large envelope"
>>
>>8952676
Not them but my post office always makes me declare bubble mailers as packages. If it's thicker than a flat envelope (and they always are no matter what you put in them because of the bubble lining) then it's not considered an "large envelope". If it's flat, then sure.
>>
>>8951790
Shes more a part than half since she said that she is Russian on her grandmother's side but also went to the same school as her. So either her grandmother is full (or halfu) or her mother is halfu. Either way, this isn't the one drop thing either - shes Japanese, not white.

Also lets not forget that this is anime so even if she was only 1/1000th white or not white at all, they'd still make her blonde.

(Given that Nozomi's hair is fucking purple and Nico's eyes are red are we really going to act like hair and eye color are everything?)
>>
>>8949397
look up canadas measurement specifications for each type of posting type, in the uk depending how thin it is you could almost get away with regular letter, but would most likely be a large letter
>>
Anyone know a good place to get cheap metal lapel pins in lower counts? Like 25 or 50?
>>
>>8952676
>>8952685
Yeah this is why I'm confused. Some people say bubble mailers can be large envelopes and some day they are packages... I usually buy postage on Paypal and request usps pickup so I won't know if it's package/large envelope until it comes back rejected from the post office.
>>
>>8949665
>Suicide Squad Harley
>Attention whore photo of her baby, who she will not be selling at an AA
Yeah, somehow I'm not surprised this ended up on AANI.
>>
>>8950191
This would look so much nicer if the legs and feet were more in proportion.
>>
>>8951821
You could wrap them in bubble wrap, sandwich it between two stiff bits of cardboard, wrap it in bubble wrap and use a box instead of an envelope. That's pretty much guaranteed to get them there in one piece.
>>8951850
What the actual fuck, how lazy can you get
>>
Anyone know where I can find business cards with the holographic finish like jimiagency or should I wait for the next group order?
>>
>>8951850
It always sucks when this stuff does well but goddammit it works.
>>
>>8951821
If you have negative reviews saying that the items break, people may also say they break for free items.

Wrap in tissue paper before bubblewrap, because bubblewrap doesn't stop small items from flexing.

Tissue paper, then bubblewrap, then cardboard, then package. Tape each layer, post to an out of state friend to check.
>>
Wanted to share a weird AA moment.
>Had a good 'first time con' last month
>Closing time sunday, it's pretty late like 4pm.
>Dude comes up trying to talk to me about one of the characters I had on a button while putting up.
>Dude is totally being a ass, telling me I got the eye color wrong.
>Character has no offical no eye color due to it being a 8bit character. With no offical full body art.
>Tells me about they like it anyways and wants it. BUT they have no money.
>Might of laughed and said no. "I'll be back next year so you can buy it. " They complain they won't be back.
>Ignores them by talking to my table mate and finished cleaning up.

Anyone else have any begging poor weeaboo stories asking for free art/merch? Like I would never have the balls to ask for free merch, what even?
>>
>>8952990
Last weekend someone came up to my table, grabbed a bookmark, and said "Can I just have this?" in a really standoffish tone. I told her it was two dollars and she stomped off instantly. She looked about college age.
>>
>>8952990
There's a girl that comes around at all the local cons and wants to trade perler bead art with everyone. It's frustrating because I usually don't like trades anyway and she always wants something that's clearly worth more.
>>
>>8952990
At my first con last year, I had a kid, about 12 or so ask me if they could trade a Ninja Turtle Perler bead magnet he bought for an unspecified item at my table and then sped off when I said no. He seemed to be in a rush, too, so I briefly wondered if he nicked it from another table and was trying to get rid of it.
>>
>>8952990
>>8953073
God I fucking hate people. How many of these do you encounter? I'm a lolita and used to work part time as a waitress so I'm kinda used to people being cheapos, trying to haggle down prices/getting angry at you when stuff costs money, and not wanting to pay x for item y, but I imagine it must be quite worse at an AA table.

How bad is it? I'd love to hear more experiences with customers, and what to expect. Please share some stories with a newfag
>>
>>8952990
>>8953345
At my last con I had a guy come up and look at my Jimi wallets. I heard him make a comment about how it's 'way too expensive' and 'looks cheap' and I kind of just roll my eyes and wait until he leaves.

He comes back an hour or two later looking at the wallets again. I see him wipe his nose with his hand and touch my shit and I'm dying inside. It was blatant, heel of the palm full level nose wipe. He then says he really wants my YGO design but he's broke af so he can't get it (it's always the YGO fans that are the worst customers I swear to god).

So this asshole apparently thinks my shit 'looks cheap' but he's going to whine about how badly he wants one and can't afford it. He goes on and on with this whine stream for about five minutes. It seemed like he was hinting at a discount, but I definitely don't give discounts to dickholes who wipe their nose on their hands and touch my shit.

I'm pretty sure I got my first cold in 3 years because of him too. Fucker.
>>
>>8953113
>wants to trade perler bead art
No matter what she wants it'll always be unfair to the other artist and I'd they accept it's out of pity. Perler is the shittiest craft I swear. It's like if someone came up to me with rainbow loom bracelets. I don't want your kiddie craft-in-a-box junk. This isn't art.
>>
This is such a dumb question, but- if I'm thinking of making shaped book marks (not just a rectangle or whatever), where could I get them properly cut out? Or should I just do it by hand?
>>
>>8953850
I never not be disappointed that people still buy Perler bead art. 99% of it is just recreating sprites from games; it's barely a step above tracing.

If more people did original designs, it would be fine, desu.
>>
>>8953870
usually cut by hand, it's time consuming but i don't know anyone who got that done somewhere else and that way you won't be disappointed
>>
Does anyone have any experience printing stuff on plastic/clear pages? I only ever seem to find services for clear business card.
>>
>>8953870
Could also use a diecutter like the Cameo to cut them out
>>
>>8952990
>Be at an AA
>one of my prints is literally a shitty headshot of a character with a slogan.
>It is my worst print ever, I did it as a joke, but people still buy it
>Suddenly some guy claiming to be the rep of that character's voice actor asks me for some of those prints.
>Says he'll bring me back a print signed by the VA, but he didn't bring anything for the VA to sign.
>Tell him he can pay for the prints, they're $10 each.
>He scoffs and goes "but they're just paper?"
>I don't know WHY nobody stopped me but I just gave him like 5 prints anyway to make him leave
>Realize my mistake
>Later go down to see the voice actor, turns out the guy was legit.
>They have prints of other artists on a table, much more beautiful painted stuff, see my shitty prints in the corner.
>Ask some volunteer what they're doing with the prints, they say they don't know but they would pay the artists after???
>The next day the guy just comes back with my (unsigned) prints and leaves them on my table, doesn't say anything.
>I don't even know what I learned from this experience
>>
>>8946927
i think its cute and there is barely ever tokyo mewmew prints to begin with, dont worry about what cgl is saying anon, your art is cute and will sell
>>
File: perlerframe.jpg (60KB, 570x403px) Image search: [Google]
perlerframe.jpg
60KB, 570x403px
>>8953937
I feel the same. I appreciate sprite work when it's original things but I can not get behind perler when it's nothing but unoriginal sprites copied off the internet. And no one even tries to do anything useful with it. I think ONCE I saw a booth that made picture frames like pic-related and I thought that was nice albeit still really lazy. I have some of my favorite characters that were given to me as gifts and I printed out backgrounds and framed them myself like shadow box art, but I haven't seen anyone doing that in AA. They're so flat boring and pointless otherwise.
>>
>>8954033
honestly, i would find perler shit a lot more tolerable if they TRIED to do something with it. make it a magnet, or door sign, or even fucking garden planters. i just find it so unappealing, and so childish, to see a table of perler bead stuff straight from the iron
>>
>>8952990
>College con
>Campus is in a city and surrounded by two high schools and a middle school
>Friday afternoon is mostly curious normal high schoolers just out of class with no intention to buy anything, but were otherwise polite and interested.
>Except for the girl in a closet cosplay of Greg from Over the Garden Wall, which she apparently wore to school that day.
>Greg mulls around the artist alley for hours, being awkward and in character to anyone who will stop and talk with her.
>Comes to my table, tells me she likes my comic, doesn't have any money, but can pay me in turtles.
>Tell her I only accept money and laugh it off.
>Greg skips off to the next table and does the same thing.
>Later that night, visiting my friend's table, Greg comes up behind me and asks if I'll buy her one of my friends $30 plushies in exchange for turtles.
>Tell her no
>Greg turns around and tries the same thing on another random person passing the table, they say no, etc
>Convention progresses. Greg wears the cosplay all weekend, tries the turtle thing twice each day to everyone.
>She's just mildly annoying, but eh.
>Sunday morning, tries to trade turtles for a comic one final time, I say no again.
>Tells me she really doesn't have any money but she REALLY wants the comic and could I PLEASE give her SOMETHING?
>I explained that I really couldn't, she sighs and leaves.
>About an hour from closing, Greg hurries over to my table with 5 pencil drawings of Ichimatsu.
>"CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME DRAWINGS OF MY HUSBAND I COMMISSIONED FROM -ARTIST-! THEY WERE $30 EACH AND SHE TOOK THE WHOLE WEEKEND BUT IT WAS WORTH IT AREN'T THEY GREAT?!"

Part of me likes to think that she actually had $150 worth of turtles in her poofy overalls and teapot and found an artist who was thrilled to accept them.
>>
File: 1405009489348.jpg (47KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1405009489348.jpg
47KB, 500x385px
>>8954084
>>8954084
>Comes to my table, tells me she likes my comic, doesn't have any money, but can pay me in turtles
>Part of me likes to think that she actually had $150 worth of turtles in her poofy overalls

L-like, real turtles? Am I retarded or missing something, or did she really intended to pay with literal living animal creatures?
>>
>>8953997
Can you tell us who the VA is? Because that's pretty shitty if they were actually okay with their rep doing this, no matter how shitty you think your art was. "We need you to give us stuff you worked on and in exchange we'll give you one back."
>>
>>8954033
>>8953937
I actually want to try doing perler bead stuff just so I can recreate my own pixel art with it. I mean, it's not terribly hard to create a perler pattern right?
>>
>>8954091
Probably chocolate turtles? It's a candy with peanuts in it.
>>
>>8954084
Did no one ask her what she meant by "I'll pay you in turtles"? Like, chocolate turtles? Live turtles? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TURTLE CURRENCY IS.
>>
>>8954092

This is really shitty. If it's a big con, a lot of anime companies make posters that are free for fans to get signed. Even if the poster or wrap wasn't made specifically for that con, there's usually extra from one thing or another to send ahead if the VA is a big enough deal. Also, most people just bring their own stuff to get signed, so the whole thing sounds shady but I'm glad at least it was legit, even if it was shitty.
>>
>>8954093
Just be prepared for everyone and their mother to copy your designs. That's the down side of perler is its so easy to replicate. I wanna use up what perler I have left by making some 3D shit with it.
>>
>>8954081
Agreed. Perler art is super easy to make anyway, why not put a tiny bit of effort into it?
>>8954084
If they were figures and the black turtles from the show I'd be glad to be paid in turtles, but something tells me she didn't have any of those.
Why do people think it's okay to be 'in character' all the time anyway? Most of them don't even act like the character in the first place...
>>
File: Tumblr_inline_nf3yieCTjx1re19ip.png (223KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_inline_nf3yieCTjx1re19ip.png
223KB, 500x338px
>>8954091
>>8954095
>>8954097
In Over the Garden Wall there's these black turtles so I assumed she was talking about. I'd like to imagine she actually had live animals or some shit on her ready to trade though.
>>8954121
She never showed me any evidence of black turtle figures, otherwise I might've traded honestly.
For such a small con it was FULL of awkward in character cosplayers. A Dipper cosplayer kept asking me if any of my comics were another journal and tried to walk with one.
>>
>>8954084
this has happened to me a few times in the past few years ive been tabling, and only at a recent con was it not a completely awkward and uncomfortable situation. a Piper cosplayer bought some posters and shit from me, then came back and asked if I would trade a fallout 4 sticker for a nuka cola replica cap. That was fun, she didn't force it in character and she didn't ask for something that was of way more value than what she was 'paying' with.
>>
>>8952941

Seconding this question, I don't see his/her/it/w.e thing on the spreadsheet, did something happen??
>>
>>8954092
>>8954110
It was a fairly sized con so I thought it was a bit strange.
I don't want to get them in trouble since nothing terrible ended up happening though. It was a strange situation and I just thought the VA's rep was rude.
>>
>>8954156
jimiagency? they aren't doing new orders until september, iirc.
>>
>>8954235

Wtf... I just missed the mini order..I'm sure other anon did too. Do you know of any other store that does the broken prism effect on cards
>>
>>8954237
beespoke prints do, as far as english friendly companies go, though i use 'company' very loosely as i'm pretty sure it's one girl with her parents helping out. I know at least a couple artists use korean sources, but I wouldn't have the faintest clue on where to begin looking for that.
>>
Does anyone have an Etsy store and would like to share a referral link so we both get 40 free listings?
>>
>>8954262
http://etsy.me/1qfNOMG
Thank you ^.^
>>
Has anyone ordered wallets with sublimation printing through Lopo or Supernova on the Alibaba Google Docs list? How was it? They're not stealing designs, are they?
>>
>>8954457
there's always a risk but I would say it is fairly minimal that your designs will be stolen. Mine came through nicely although they don't sell particularly well in my area.
>>
>>8954478
Thanks a lot, Anon!
Did you go with Lopo or Supernova? Did you do leather or denim wallets?
>>
>>8954242
I would not reccomend beespoke,theres still several people waiting for their orders from last year without refunds,and they have deleted all of the complaints on fb. Its really a shame,since their prices are great.
>>
>>8953345
>OP here

I've done a few shows, maybe I'll get a few kids or like one college aged trying to be cute asking for a free 1 inch button. Nothing too bad really. Worst place for it might be college shows, especially community colleges. You get the highschool weeaboos, and the college weeaboos who want shit for free for some ODD REASON. The adults who has kids or relatives that they know like anime seem to the the nicest. They'll buy stuff from you as gifts for them. Usually might tip.

Other than that, I've actually had some pretty good experiences with people being kind. Some would tip me out of no where(I don't do commissions), others would come back to buy more stuff, or would come back to the table to tell me about their friends being happy when they would give them my merch as a gift. The nicest thing was I said a girls jointed clay charm was cute on her bag, she bought a bunch of stuff, and as I was getting her a bag for it, she took the charm off her bag and gave it to me. I was told later by some friends it was a $30-$40 charm being sold by another artist at that con.

>end of sappy heart felt experiences
>>8953355
>Holy shit people are so rude. I'm sorry
>>
Did anybody here attend Silicon Valley Comic Con? It's semi-local to me but $350 for what was rumored to be a tent table for a first year con wasn't sitting well with me so I skipped out. Was there anybody there that can talk about their experience?
>>
>>8954931
Iirc Tim went. You should ask her.
>>
>>8954931
I went as an attendee, the AA and the dealer's and guests were all in one gigantic hall. It was packed, especially on the dealer's side. Table size seemed to be the standard 6' and people seemed to have pretty good business judging from what I saw. I might try to do the AA next year as well.
>>
does anyone here get basic dresses printed (kinda like skater dresses i guess) in low runs, say 15 max? I was considering artsbovine but unless theres always a voucher i can gurantee a good return on my stuff
any alibaba services etc? I'm uk based btw! int isn't a massive problem but if you happen to know a good uk one that would be spectacular
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 800x600px
Opinions on this girl's plushies? They're very obviously knock off tsumtsums. She even calls them tsums and is planning on displaying them like this too.
>>
>>8954931
AA tables weren't that much. I think 350 was for like one of the smaller exhibitor spaces.

I didn't have any expectations, but did really well--about as well as I do at fanime, which makes sense since they had about the same number of attendees. The AA staff was super cool and accommodating and the attendees were too. It was definitely a print con, as a lot of comic conventions tend to be, so that's probably why I did well. I didn't know anyone else tabling, so I couldn't tell you how well other types of tables go (i.e crafters, zines, etc.).

At this point, I prefer comic cons despite their higher table prices because the return is better and the organization is a lot better too. I'd say it's worth it.
>>
>>8955130
I like them anon. And they look better than knockoffs, and some official ones for that matter.. Disney doesn't own the concept of stacking plush, just the tag name tsumtsum. She can call them whatever as long as she's careful not to put it in writing in her store.
>>
File: 1703_alpacasso_tsum_tsum_bottom.jpg (176KB, 690x396px) Image search: [Google]
1703_alpacasso_tsum_tsum_bottom.jpg
176KB, 690x396px
>>8955130
You bitter? I love them, and that artist. I don't care that she's knocking off the style of tsums, there are plenty of plush that emulate that. Stacking and log shaped plush are trendy. Even Amuse has stacking Alpacaso.
>>
>>8955138
>>8955074
Glad to know it went well! I'll have to mark it on my list for next year. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>8955130
I really want that Sylveon
>>
>>8955130
I would 100% buy them, right now.
Stacking toys are a japanese type of toy and the idea is not owned by disney, just brought to the mass view by them. These look high quality and cute.
>>
>>8955130
I've been wanting the Luna, Artemis, Diana kitties but they sell out so quick on her etsy.
>>
>>8955130
I don't see anything wrong with them, they look well made and well thought out and it's not like she's doing Disney characters. Also, they're cute. You just need to sit down.
>>
File: smugz.png (36KB, 268x237px) Image search: [Google]
smugz.png
36KB, 268x237px
>>8955130
>>8955139
>>8955143
>>8955149
>>8955150
>>8955265
>>8955314
ITT: Sodium-chan gets BTFO
>>
>>8954877
I did a college show recently- though it was a gaming event- and it was not as bad as I expected. The process of getting artist tables was very poorly organized because the girl running it had no artist alley experience. One college kid asked for a discount on my charms, so I explained my reasoning for my prices and he was so polite about it and bought them anyway. One guy wanted to buy something as I was packing up. Other than that it was pretty good.

College kids love free shit because universities generally give out a LOT of things for free (campus gym membership, career counseling/workshops, events with free food, access to health center)
>>
File: stickeryou.png (253KB, 600x261px) Image search: [Google]
stickeryou.png
253KB, 600x261px
>>8951645
>>8951631
hey, i'm this anon, my order arrived today and while i'm happy with the general quality, for at least one (usually a couple) sheets of each of my designs there's this issue (pic related). It's almost like they switched machines or something half way through: the colors are way more saturated (poor example, sorry) and the cut line is much tighter/irregular. Do you think this would qualify for a reprint? Like I said, it's not all pages, but definitely a good quarter of my order.
>>
>talking with friend about another artist
>friend is incredibly salty that other artist has a large following despite looking like "she puts 0 effort into her art" (all flat colors, bare minimum shading, no dramatic lighting or poses)
>refuses to see how anyone could see any appeal in said artist
>won't shut up about how salty they are that her art gets more attention/tumblr notes

how do i tell my friend to fuck off
>>
>>8955591
definitely ask for a reprint. imo the tighter cut looks better but i like the colors of the sticker with a larger white space more. either way, they did mess up your order so ask for a reprint.
>>
>>8955592
Confront her saying to voice her saltyness to said popular friend. It's either she'll shut the fuck up right away, or she'll do it maybe? Salty friends are the worst.
>>
>>8955601
popular artist-san isn't our friend but salty chan is seriously killing me right now.
i tried explaining to her that popular-san is popular because she constantly updates, her commissions are lower than what most would charge, and her turnaround time for commissions is incredible (2-3 days after receiving the first payment).
but alas, nothing is convincing salty friend that maybe it's because, you know, she's not popular because she never updates her blog.
>>
>>8953345
I get a lot of 'how much is it? Oh. How much will it be on Sunday?'

For you? Same price asshole.
>>
>>8955617
>How much will it be on Sunday?
Fuck everyone who asks this. I don't care if they're children. I don't care if they're literal autists. I don't care if they are single mom's who have to provide for their five children. Fuck them all.
>>
>>8955617
>>8955624
this is my rage button. fuck all those 'con guides' that tell people to 'wait till sunday' for stall holders to mark down prices and expect it to work for artist alleys. The ONLY time I discount stock is if it has some kind of mistake/error or if it's the end of the year and I want to clear out.

cosplayers who want shit for free or discounted because they're cosplaying that character piss me off too.
>>
>>8955610
Jesus, I would just ask for her to please stop and link her all of a google result search for "How to be popular on social media for artists". Because if she's really a friend I hope she could take a hint? or not throw a fit like a 5 year old. Really it's either ignore her for some time, or actually talk to her about you want to talk about something else? Bring up if she's working on anything? Maybe getting her busy will shut her up?
>>
File: muchtalent.png (1MB, 1077x1331px) Image search: [Google]
muchtalent.png
1MB, 1077x1331px
>>
>>8955956
this is a joke right?
>>
>>8955956
I get what she's going for, but she's just...not executing it right at all.
>>
>>8955956
my first thought was that this had to be a troll, but then i remembered pic related.
>>
>>8956002
Why did they put so much effort into packaging these nicely? They're so bad...
>>
>>8956002
They're all signed. With her initials. omg.
>>
>>8955617
>>8955624
>>8955636
I used to do this when I was younger, I'm so so sorry
>>
>>8956002
This looks like a proud parent showing off their toddler's artwork.
>>
>>8955956
>>8956002
She can't be all there mentally. She has to have some sort of handicap. That is the only reasonable explanation.
>>
File: kawaii_harumich.jpg (694KB, 548x800px) Image search: [Google]
kawaii_harumich.jpg
694KB, 548x800px
>>8956433
Those are 2 different people actually. So not full retarded, but the SM button girl has tons of traced official SM art in her buttons.
>>
>>8948555
>>8948527
>>8949553
I'm >>8948520

Took everyones advice and the charms shipped safe and sound. Wrapped the charm and star in crape paper and tissue paper around the charm packaging. Also sent it in a bubble mailer. Thanks again fellow anons~
>>
>>8951401
fuk this girl just stfu
""""""""no""""""""
>>
Anyone just table at ECCC? how was it with the AA split setup?
>>
>>8956129
I forgive you anon. I get more annoyed by older teens and adults. Especially when they try to push or reason into why I have to make it cheaper on Sunday.

Another irk, the 'how did you make this?' 'No, but like , *how* did you make it?' ie tells me your secrets because I am lazy.

I have no trouble with those seeking genuine advice, happy to help! To the general question now, I usually just say 'wizard fingers!', and I waggle them if they naggy.
>>
>>8950181
jus sounds like some angry artist jello, either nothing better to do I guess or that time of month
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.