[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you hate about con badges? What do you wish the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

File: Kaisar_angry_at_Favaro.png (796KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kaisar_angry_at_Favaro.png
796KB, 1280x720px
What do you hate about con badges? What do you wish the cons would add/remove?
>>
>>8905408
I hate when cons list my full name. I don't want a bunch of fucking autistic weaboos knowing my full name.
>>
>>8905429
Pretty much this. Also cons that still use stamps. It smears all over my costume.
>>
>>8905429
Would the option to use another name, while still having your full name recorded somewhere (in a much smaller font), be acceptable?
>>
>>8905431
Shit, thanks for reminding me the con I'm going to next month does this. I'm wearing a mascot outfit... where the fuck am I supposed to let them stamp me?
>>
>>8905429
This! I have gone by a name other than my legal, given name for years now, I don't want people to know me by that name. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be for my trans friends who haven't gotten their names legally changed yet.
>>8905469
That seems like a good compromise.
>>
>>8905408
>>8905429
They once printed the wrong name (well someone elses name) on my badge, and their first reaction, "oh well it should be okay, nobody really checks it..then..the fix was whiteout and hand-sharpied it. lol".
>>
>>8905509
>I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be for my trans friends who haven't gotten their names legally changed yet.

Can't they just email the con and ask if the name on their badges can be whatever name they go by because they're trans? The anime community isn't exactly the most conservative so I doubt they wouldn't do it.
>>
>>8905429
how horrifying.

if you have to do that, con organizers, please put such info on the BACK of the badge. with the way random candid pics/video of you at a con can end up on the internet, it is not safe to have to display your full name at all times.

>>8905408
ugly lanyards.
>>
>>8905408
Being forced to wear them all the time, instead of just showing it when asked.
>>
>>8905408
I love the Fanime badges from the past two years. They're pretty, have a tab so you can use a clip instead of a lanyard, and list a nickname.
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 569x629px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 569x629px
>wristbands
>bootyass art
>lanyards in general.

I prefer clips since I forget to take my lanyard off for pictures, and when I do it, it messes up my wig.

Really, there's no way to win.
>>
Wristbands are shit. Every con in my area uses them and the volunteers do not even make an effort to fit them around my tiny wrists.

>tfw you have to watch your arm like a hawk to make sure it hasn't fallen off
>>
>>8905469
I would be fine with this. On the back (or not at all) would be ideal because I prefer to have full control over who at a con knows my full name, but just a small enough print that it isn't very easy to read at conversational distance and doesn't show up in a close photo would be better than what my local con does now.
>>
>>8905408
the only cons i've been to used stamps. i had a photoshoot at one of them and the photog forgot to edit the stamps out.
>>
Poorcons with thier laminated paper or paper thin plastic bs. I paid $60+ for this thing. I want it to be able to survive my pockets
>>
>>8905769
>not just keeping it tied to your wrist all con so its easy to take off without ruining your wig
>>
>>8905706
To be fair, I've done badge check at a con and people used to keep them in their bags and bitch me out when I asked to take them out. No, I can't see your badge in your Sword Art Online messenger bag because I don't have goddamn x-ray vision.
>>
i was at a con once where they printed the hours of dealer's room/artist alley/game room(?) for each day on the back of the badges. i really wish all cons would do this, it was so convenient
>>
>>8905859
>not just attaching it to the strap of your bag and putting your bag down for pictures
>>
>>8905408
I wish you could choose from a small selection of designs. Sometimes the art is really ugly, and it just kills my excitement for the convention.

Inb4 special snowflake alert
>>
As inconvenient as they are for some cosplays, I do enjoy fabric wristbands. It's just nice looking, simple, and no worries about names or whatever. Makes good keepsakes. Hard to fake as long as the con aren't idiots.
>>
>>8905980
Maps on the badge are godsent.
>>
>>8905469
I went to a con where they had my legal name printed on the back, but the nickname/chosen name on the front. It's definitely the best compromise I can think of.

>>8905546
I've tried that before and they said no.
>>
Worst badge I ever had was one Anime Boston where the badge were put in one of these plastic sleeves with a pin in the back and I don't even think it had the clippy thing on top. So naturally a ton of people lost them just by walking around and they were charging people the full con price for replacements. Sorry but you can't do that when you were too cheap to go with lanyards.
>>
>>8905859
>>8905981
This no one says you have to wear it around your neck. I usually have a loop on my waist or bag that works just fine
>>
>People this unprepared
Buy lanyards ahead of time that will match your costume/coords, with an easy way to take off.
>>
>>8905866
I'll be happy to pull it out when asked. I hate the powertrippers who insist I should wear it all the time, when I have to constantly remove it for photographs.
>>
>>8906122
Stay at home then if it's bothering you that much.
>>
File: minimum trolling.jpg (45KB, 593x338px) Image search: [Google]
minimum trolling.jpg
45KB, 593x338px
>>8906162
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 546x700px
>>8905509
>>8905546
>>
>>8906293
You need to stop misusing that picture, newfag.
>>
>>8906302
>Unprompted talk about special snowflake trans kids
>Misuse
>>
>>8905985
Fanime has different sets of art on their badges each year, but it's a crapshoot which art you'll get on yours.
>>
>>8906306

how the fuck is that unprompted or unrelated. that's probably the biggest group of people affected by having full legal names in big print on con badges
>>
File: vomitoon.jpg (28KB, 457x510px) Image search: [Google]
vomitoon.jpg
28KB, 457x510px
When the con asked me to fill in a nickname, I didn't know it would appear on the badge, so I just put in a stupid joke answer.

I spent that con with a nametag reading "Bloodlord the Hedgehog"
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 680x453px
>>8906328
>>
File: 1457636993237.png (34KB, 182x220px) Image search: [Google]
1457636993237.png
34KB, 182x220px
>>8906328
>>
This is totally my own autism, but when the badge holder is larger than the badge and the badge itself moves around in the holder. Looks really goofy.
>>
Wondercon this year is putting RIDF technology in their badges, and are going to be asking for IDs and such to verify identity throughout the day. It sounds stupid and unenforcable on a con of that size.
>>
>>8906320
This thread was about discussing legitimate con badge pet peeves. No one asked you to tell us your sob story of oppression because "I'm trans and I changed my name un-officially because it's just what I associate with and if you can't accommodate that then this con is shit!!!"
It's just an anime con, suck it up for a weekend and get the fuck over yourself.
>>
Supposedly at ALA this year the lanyard was a bit too big for the badge and it was breaking the tabs off the badges

I had my own lanyard so I can't say for sure
>>
>>8906111
We weren't allowed to do that in the cons I attended.
>>8905981
And we were not allowed to do that either.

>So making it possible for your guests to do that would be great!
>>
File: stupid.png (130KB, 204x336px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.png
130KB, 204x336px
Few cons I went to last year had those Crunchyroll lanyards, the ones with those little press release clips (pic related). Honestly I hope cons dont use them anymore or people just bring their own or something. I heard/saw a few people get their badges ripped off due to people quickly coming up and unclipping them.
>>
>>8906361
Con security able to actively track you? That doesn't sound creepy at all...
>>
>>8906361
That sounds super stupid, but I guess I can kind of see it given the layout of the convention this year. Anaheim was basically one big building, but the LA convention center has lots of different wings and stuff.

Still sounds idiotic though.
>>
I always put my badges on badge clips or safety pin them on myself. I dig free lanyards but they're always so in the way. The the crunchyroll ones every con uses now stick out so bad. Like I want it to be as invisible as possible on my cosplay.
>>
Paper badges on metal clips.
ConnectiCon did this a few years ago and I encountered at least 5 people that were looking for their badge when it got ripped off.
>>
>>8906367

I am not either of the previous commentors you originally threw a fit over, and nobody was telling any sob stories, just making small asides. you got your panties in the biggest twist over jack shit. you must be fun to be around.
>>
>>8906367
Damn, not even /pol/ gets this triggered by trannies.
>>
>>8905469
Why do you need a full legal name on a badge ever? Just get a system that assigns serial numbers to each reg and print those on there. You and staff can look up who it is without needing to put a name on it.

There are people with legitimate reasons for not wanting their full legal name visible. People with strict professions, people that have had issues with stalkers, etc.
>>
>>8906361
Last time I went to AM, they did that for main events. Also, every time you left a floor to go to another one, you had to go thru a check point on the new floor to get your badge scanned. It caused some major bottle necking and generally shitty traffic control. idk if they ever figured out a better way because i haven't been in two years
>>
Biggest peeve for me is easily frayable or breakable wristbands for 18+ events. They're super uncomfortable and I wish there was an easier way to mark that sort of thing.

>>8906073
I did this for Otakon 2014. They were really pushing for attendees to write their real name on the front, but I just wrote it on the back when they weren't looking (as well as my phone number, so I could be contacted if it got lost, which did in fact happen at one point)
>>
>>8906791
This. I don't see the need for a legal name on a badge at all.
>>
I hate wristbands since I like to collect badges and the wristband us hard to hide under cosplay(hopefully you have sleeves or cuffs).

I liked the badges from Anime expo 2010(?) they had your nickname printed instead of your real name.
>>
>>8906809
and here is how they exaggerate their numbers
>>
Wow the U.S. really is a big brother country, if it's normal to get fully registered even at cons.
In my country you just buy the ticket and at the con get the badge, without ever telling your name.
>>
>>8907050
it's because of scalpers mostly. ticket scalping is a huge problem in the US, which is why many events (not just cons) won't allow transferring of tickets.
>>
>>8907061
Putting a full name on a badge doesn't stop me from giving it to someone else...
>>
>>8906949

The reasony con does it is for liability issues - if somebody gets hurt and an ambulance has to be called (we're big enough that that happens at least once each year) there's no time for a staffer to run back to reg, look up a name, and run back to give it to the paramedics. It's a safety issue enforced by our venue.
>>
>>8907189
...This is why people carrying insurance cards and driver's liscenses, anon. Things like IDs in their wallet, it's common sense.
>>
>>8907189
Why are you liable for that? Six flags doesn't put my name around my neck. When I go to the mall they don't put my name around my neck. People should be carrying ID.
>>
>>8907207
Not always. There's a big rave at the convention I go to and you aren't allowed to bring bags or purses in. So a lot of people just have their badge and hotel key.
>>
>>8907269
>There's a big rave at the convention I go to and you aren't allowed to bring bags or purses in.

Why? What could they possibly steal from a rave?
>>
>>8907413
It's a rave. They're more worried about bags smashing into people and spilling stuff on the floor in the dark. Also bringing in booze
>>
>>8907413
They don't want to deal with people bringing in alcohol or drugs or people complaining that their bag was stolen during the rave. The worst part was the year they added the "no bags" policy without an announcement. People waited hours in line just to be turned away at the door. People were pissed.
>>
>>8907422
>Also bringing in booze

So they encourage pregaming instead?

>>8907434
It's not like you can't pop E before you go inside.
>>
>>8906095
This happened to me once at AX... 2003ish? I looked down and saw that I had the plastic thing clipped to me, but the badge had fallen out and I couldn't find it so I had to buy a new one.
>>
I hate wristbands. When I go to a con that I know have wristbands, I purposely wear a costume with long sleeves or arm guards or something that I can use to cover the wristband.
>>
>>8906388
>I dont know how RFID works but I want to be scared anyway
>>
Wristbands for multi-day cons are the worst.
Having to crawl half out of a zentai suit to show a band is shit
>>
>>8907189
Why can't they just put it on the back of the damn thing instead of displaying it out in the open for creeps that you don't want seeing your name and seeking you out on social media
>>
>>8907460
the no booze/drugs rules are to protect themselves from liability, especially where minors are involved. if the illegal imbibing happens off their property, their hands are clean.
>>
>>8905431
Went to a small con today and had this problem. I was decked out in full on armsocks and tights so I had to lift up my shirt and let them stamp my stomach.
>>
>>8906361
SDCC is also doing it, but there response is because of counterfeits and people "losing there badges" so that they can deactivate it know that it's an invalid badge but just like the printed badges with uv signatures they probably won't ever check unless someone gets caught.
>>
>>8905429
What the heck, why do they need your real name? We just have our badge names put on conbadges here, and they just have a register when you pick up your back that they check your ID against.
>>
>>8905408
One of my con badges has a DMV-like photo of me on the badge.
>>
>>8907851
One of the reg guys at my con used to push for that.

Thank god we never actually did it.
>>
>>8908309
Seems like a ton of effort and time, having to take everyone's photo for each badge.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.