[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cosplay and job interviews

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: tellusaboutthiscostplay.gif (909KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
tellusaboutthiscostplay.gif
909KB, 1698x1131px
do you bring up the fact that you cosplay in job interviews? what about when they google your name beforehand and they already know? most people consider anime drawings to be poison in an artists professional portfolio, but what about pictures of your costumes? do you keep it quiet as though it's a liability, or pronounce it proudly as a critical aspect of your skills and personality? does it depend on what the job/company/career is?
>>
>using your real name on the Internet

what a retard
>>
>>8880788

it's not hard to find someone's cosplay handle by searching their real name.
>>
I saw a girl in the fashion industry post about making specs of cosplays to show versatilily. I'm pretty proud of my flats as well, and I'm supposed to be working on a portfolio and wondering if I should put in more fanciful things as well, since I can't illustrate for shit.
>>
>>8880793
if you were retarded and let them be connected

but if you aren't a complete retard, no. it would be difficult to find that information

retard
>>
No, unless it's related to a costuming position or something relevant (like a theatre company, movie prop firm or a fabric shop)

Also >>8880803, never let your real name and online handle become connected. If it is, start removing information about it unless you want to be open about it.
>>
>>8880803

stay mad
>>
>>8880810
how am I mad for not letting my real name on the Internet and be connected to my hobbies? you might actually be retarded
>>
>>8880809
This, why would you mention something like that unless the job is specially related to cosplay or costume design in some way?
>>
I work for a school so,

No. I use a different name under JFashion and cosplay.

I also cosplay things that are pretty child friendly (cartoons, certain characters with no extreme cleavage or sexual connotation) just in case the families of students go to comic-con. I would rather not risk it.
>>
No, professionals don't like it. I'd make a separate page and never mention cosplay.
>>
>>8880778
I do but I don't flat out just say "i do cosplay". I usually categorize it as sewing fabrication or foam fabrication for costume work.

i dont understand why you guys sound like cosplay should be some super secret hobby that nobody else should not know about. its almost as if you're embarrassed to say you cosplay.
>>
>>8880850
Some professional jobs would not like it and that's the truth. I'm not embarrassed I just keep my hobbies separate from my profession.
>>
>>8880858
define professional job.
because when I got my job as a hotel front desk manager, i mentioned my cosplay work and they just saw it as a crafting skill which is really no different than saying you have computer skills. in fact, the person praised me for being able to have time and patients to do such things and being able to meet deadlines for commission work.

so yeah, if youre not an autistic moron about it, you can make your cosplaying sound pretty professional.

>inb4 you say working at a hotel isnt a professional job.
>>
>>8880811

you're mad because you've dropped the word "retard" like four times now over something that is not even supposed to be an argument.
>>
>>8880897
but it is retarded to let your real name in any way be connected with things like this on the Internet
>>
>>8880901

yes, we heard you the first time. you're very smart, and we're all impressed with your reasonable position on the issue.
>>
>>8880908
if I slather my vagina in sphagetti o's will you come over and eat me out, you Down syndrome faggot?
>>
>>8880913
posts like these are why I lurk /cgl/
>>
>>8880778
>do you bring up the fact that you cosplay in job interviews?
seeing as cosplay has nothing to do with my job, no. unless you're going into a fashion-related career, there's no point in bringing it up and when you do, you can just say you have experience in fabrication and sewing. no need to specifically say cosplay.

>what about when they google your name beforehand and they already know?
don't associate your real name with your online identity. unfortunately, a lot of dumb cosplayers put their real name on their cosplay profiles.

>most people consider anime drawings to be poison in an artists professional portfolio, but what about pictures of your costumes?
if it shows you're highly skilled in costume making (e.g. a Sakizou costume) and you're applying to a job involving costume design or creation, why not? otherwise, don't bother.

>do you keep it quiet as though it's a liability, or pronounce it proudly as a critical aspect of your skills and personality? does it depend on what the job/company/career is?
yes it depends on your job/company/field. i'm in fashion but i work for a normie shop so i just keep quiet about it and enjoy it on the weekend as my hobby.

tl;dr: why would you tell normies about cosplay
>>
>>8880778
I did once. It was in the middle of on-campus/on-grounds interviews, a week long thing where you do a load of twenty-minute screener interviews with potential employers. Like interview speed dating. There was some place I wasn't really interested in, but I'd signed up for an interview just because they had slots open. I was tired of saying the same shit over and over again (I did 26 screeners, I think), so I mentioned that I was an amateur costume-maker, like Jedi costumes and stuff. I didn't get a call back from that firm.
>>
>>8881165
I'm glad you appreciate my work, anon
>>
>>do you bring up the fact that you cosplay in job interviews?
no, i usually start by asking about their policy for requesting vacation/time off and if they ask why, just mention that I like to go to cons as a hobby. from there, people usually say "oh do you do cosplay?" and then I just say yeah. It's not a big deal, but I work in early childhood education, so creativity is encouraged.

>>what about when they google your name beforehand and they already know?
i wouldn't attach my cosplay page to my real name? although i do post photos on my personal facebook, i never add my bosses

>> do you keep it quiet as though it's a liability, or pronounce it proudly as a critical aspect of your skills and personality? does it depend on what the job/company/career is?

I don't treat it like a liability, I just treat it like a fact and move on. It's only relevance on my job is how it affects my time off. That and that I won my job's halloween costume contest.
>>
Coming at it from the other side, what do you do if you've accidentally managed to get your real name and your cosplay pictures entangled? Is there really a way to separate them other than emailing each and every site that has your real name associated with the pics and ask them to change the names to your cosplay handle? Is it even worth it if there are only a handful?
>>
>>8880803
Sorry but I actually agree with this anon. Don't leave a paper trail
>>
>>8881364
Depends on what it is. If it's something modest I wouldn't bother and just risk having to give the "oh I make and wear costumes as a hobby" talk with your boss if they care enough to search for those, if you're in slut-tier cosplay (see like Ryuko or some skimpy tier shit) I would go and ask to have your real name removed and your cosplay handle put on
>>
>>8880788

>yaya han
>jessica nigri
>stella chuu

what idiots amirite
>>
>>8880885
True, but TV really likes fetishizing cosplay and anime, so saying something like 'I do cosplay' to a potential employer will leave half of them confused and most of the other half convinced you're a furry pedo.
If you can word it in a way that makes you sound good, like saying 'I have experience working with wood and thermoplastics, and do some resin work' it sounds a lot better than saying 'I make vidya armour and wear it in public'. A sad amount of people don't understand the difference, hence this thread.
Also, you work in a hotel. There's a good chance your coworkers/employer worked for a con hotel and had a chance to talk to cosplayers about their costumes, or at least understand that it's time-consuming and skilled work and not something you should be judged negatively for.
Like you said, though, it's a skill, you should market it as such.
>>
>>8881707
They wanted to make a career out of cosplay. We're talking about people who don't want to do this.
>>
I worked in the gaming industry and government and literally no one cared. I also didn't mention my hobbies unless they asked. If it doesn't interfere with your job or ability to be a positive reflection about the company then you should be fine.

Word of advice. Don't bring it up unless you're asked about hobbies and such. Don't associate your cosplay name with your legal name. Don't publicize to your fans where you work. An employer can decide not to hire you (or fire you if it's an at will state) if your ass is all over the Internet. Also, stalkers are real. Keep those two lives separate if they don't need to mix.
>>
I'd never bring it up out of nowhere but my coworkers have found my cosplay IG before and I got nothing but compliments, including from my boss. It probably helps that I mostly do fancy ballgowns and not skimpy anime schoolgirl fetish characters.
>>
>>8881817
>I also didn't mention my hobbies unless they asked
this is very important, especially anything government (doubly so if it's anything involving law enforcement, even on a support basis)
don't volunteer ANYTHING
with law enforcement you have to walk even more carefully around eggshells because they will disqualify you over the smallest thing
>>
Cosplay has no relevance to my ability to do my job, so it doesn't get brought up at all. If they ask about personal hobbies, I tell them I enjoy sewing and crafts.
>>
>>8880778
what are you interviewing for? the circus? how is cosplay ever relevant unless youre in theatre, art or some shit. op is such a dumbass, holy hell
>>
>>8881958
Op is probably one of those people who hasn't realized that most normies think cosplayers are either weird and childish or slutted up airhead "nerds" like JNig.
>>
A little off topic i guess, but i thought it might be amusing to wear a Japanese OL style outfit to an interview..
>>
Depends on the job, but if you're in a career that's client-facing or where you have to represent the company, you might not want to. Unless you're Marvel's PR person.
>>
If anyone asks you what your hobbies are, it might be best to say something generic like... "Arts and textile crafts"?
>>
It highly depends on the job you're applying. If it's related to science or an academical position, please don't do it. The more they think you live for that, the more they'll be pleased with it.
I'm a MSc and when I was applying for laboratory positions for my thesis dissertation (fyi, I wasn't even getting paid, just research for my thesis) I mentioned cosplay on my résumé and those who interviewed me look down on my capabilities because I mention something not related to my field of work and they just care what you can do for them not what you can do generally.
Now, my résumé just states: DIY capabilities, image edition using photoshop, etc.
Don't put something that will confuse them, mention your cosplay skills but use other words.
Good luck*
>>
As other anons have said, it really depends on what job you're applying to, so know your target company.

Jobs with a highly professional outer facing like academia, retail, financial, etc will probably view it as "weird." Don't do it unless you're using it to show off skills that are related to the job.

For companies that are more quirky and "hip" like tech, startups, marketing, small companies in general, etc, it could be a cool way for them to remember you as long as you present your costuming professionally. Don't just link to cospix. I am 99% sure the job I've been at for ten years originally hired me in part because my boss is a huge fan of the fan club I ran in college (which was on my resume). Small companies can be weird like that.
>>
>>8881754

They probably didn't decide from day one that they wanted to/were going to try to make it a career. But then again Yaya started back when the internet was much less of a factor in the community so I guess there's that.
>>
>>8881958

OP here. I don't even cosplay; I brought this up because I have friends who do and most of them have backgrounds in somewhat-related fields like art, graphics, etc. There were different opinions among them. Also, they don't go on /cgl/ which is why I made the thread and not them.
>>
I would never ever mention I cosplay. In my country cosplay means being an obnoxious weeb with cat ears who masturbates to giant titty women and stays in character forever.
>>
I work in a law office staffed by people in the SCA, and I got the job because I helped rekindle a historical re-enacting club on my college campus. Most of the people have been to cons and cosplayed at one point, even those who don't play dress up on the weekends and hit each other with sticks. My other second job has me painting faces at an amusement park on the weekends, and my boss body paints her employees, plus her daughter loves cosplaying. So it really depends on the work environment. I certainly didn't volunteer this information right off the bat, but no one in either of my jobs cares.
>>
File: fiona.gif (240KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
fiona.gif
240KB, 380x380px
>interviewing for Mexican food job
>manager asks me what I do outside of work
>"cosplay"
>"what that?"
>show him instagram of me as Haruhi dancing to hare hare yukai
>"now that's what i'm taaaaaalkin' about!"
>hired on the spot
>work there from 2014 to last month
>do the dance for him on my last day
>>
>>8880778
>what about when they google your name beforehand and they already know?
Then you fucked up and hope they don't bring it up. If it's about something to put in the hobby section of your resumé, just say you like to sew or something.
I swear, people know jack shit about keeping any kind of privacy online these days.
>>
I never, ever use my real name with cosplay or when being online in general. Just for the sole reason of avoiding being found out by "normal people". I just say my hobbies include crafts and sewing and don't talk further about it.

>Work in a generally nerdy environment
>Coworkers start laughing at LARPers and ren fair folks and making fun of dressing up in strange fantasy clothes
>"Hahahaha. Yeah... what a bunch of losers."
>wipe a lone tear away
>>
>>8882656
>for Mexican food job.
That's why.
>>
>>8882659
>start working in a bank
>manager looks awfully familiar
>3rd day manager just comes and shows his cosplay photos to the person who sits next to me (lets call him B), out of blue
>he is cosplaying greed from fma
>mfw I'm the edward in the photos, it's from 4 years ago
>just go them and tell them it's you
>weird conversation but it's okay with the manager
>B thinks both of us are some weird fetishists and starts to check "cosplay girls" on his free time (and probably faps)
>>
When asked about hobbies, I just say I sew in my free time. it's open enough for them to ask specifics if they want but usually they don't.
>>
>>8882656
Your manager wanted the d.
>>
>>8882671
One of my proudest moments is when I managed to sway a similar conversation between a bunch of my coworkers from outright mocking to something really positive. I'd never consider myself popular or influential at the workplace but when a few people at my job started making fun of LARPers, calling them dumb losers with no life, I just autistically blurted out that I thought it was really cool and practically took over the entire conversation by showing them a bunch of detailed pictures of some really amazing LARPers from our own country. I emphasized the skill it takes to create these costumes and threw some subtle shade at the people who started the mockery whose hobbies largely consist of getting drunk and watching sports on television. In the end several people admitted that they wished they had skills like that and some even started talking about what kind of character they would be. Most of them wanted to be shitty characters from Game of Thrones but hey, baby steps.
>tfw too autistic to give in to peer pressure
Good feels, even if they probably talked a bunch of shit about me afterwards.
>>
>>8882955
Good for you. If they talked shit it was 90% because they wanted to nurse their bruised egos and 10% because they had nothing else to talk about. I do this with my family, shit's so satisfying. Watching people be assholes and then backpedal so hard they crash is the best thing to do at any family gathering.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.