[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Freckles in Cosplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (827KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
827KB, 2048x2048px
Is it frowned upon to not cover up or shoop out your (real) freckles when cosplaying a character who doesn't have them?

Alternatively, is it frowned upon to apply fake freckles with makeup when the character doesn't canonically have them?
>>
>>8871917
I don't think anyone frowns at people not covering up freckles. They're not ugly most of the time and as long as it's obvious that you tried with the rest of your makeup, they're fine. Applying fake ones has been the bane of lots of people wrecking their cosplay to be cute or unique (girl on the right in OP is a prime example). I've almost never seen fake ones that look natural- most people just dab eyeliner on their face repeatedly, and it turns out looking awful
>>
>>8871917
fake freckles are universally shit
>>
>>8871917
before any newfags ask
>chick on left is the person on the right
>left chick is not a trap
alright

so
i wouldn't say its frowned upon, but the only way natural freckles show up in cosplay is if you're wearing light amounts of makeup. which is fine, i would say there are many characters that call for light amounts, but there aren't tons of people who can pull that off and it often makes them look less polished and frumpy. like if you're doing the bright contacts and heavy anime eye makeup and not wearing enough makeup to even out your skin tone, it looks bad and you probably dont know how to do makeup.

unless your freckles are really dark and manage to show up through heavy makeup.
but i think if you're going for accuracy, you might want to cover them up. though i think it wouldn't be entirely inaccurate for simple character designs like one of the peanuts or something.

drawing freckles on seems to be fine with everyone and its kind of an expectation for characters who have freckles, but no one knows how to do it. right person is doing it horribly.
>>
File: image.jpg (1010KB, 826x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1010KB, 826x1000px
>>8871945
OP here. I ask because I've tried literally every tutorial on YouTube for covering them up, but they still show through. My freckles are dark, but small, like pic related.

I'm new to cosplay. I was worried I'd be picked apart for having freckles because a lot of characters I want to cosplay are from video games and animated movies where graphics are pretty realistic. Most of those characters have clear faces.

Pic related is the closest example of what mine look like.
>>
File: freckles_by_ansmeer[1].jpg (140KB, 490x730px) Image search: [Google]
freckles_by_ansmeer[1].jpg
140KB, 490x730px
>>8871951
if you've got a cute face, freckles will add to the cosplay for a lot of people. unless its a character who has been stated to have a clear face, no one will care.
that being said, im sure you can cover them somehow if you really want to. a lot of cosplayers use drag techniques when applying makeup. if people can cover age spots and dark acne scars, you will be able to find a way to cover freckles.
>>
>>8871951
Try a full coverage foundation with a concealer. It probably won't get rid of them 100%, but it will cover the lighter ones and, in general, smooth out your face as much as possible. Too Faced's Born This Way is a nice one, although there are cheaper options too.
>>
File: 1444595505214.jpg (17KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1444595505214.jpg
17KB, 306x306px
>>8871951
Anyone who tells you it's a requirement to hide your freckles for cosplay is equally as retarded as people who say you HAVE to change your skin tone. If you want to change your skin, go ahead, but freckles like that aren't even a huge distraction, and if you're really that anal about looking just like the character, they are one of the easiest things to edit out in photoshop.

In a perfect world, we could all look exactly like the characters we cosplay. We could have the same skin type, be the same race, have the exact same facial features, and ultimately be a spitting image of everything. Sadly, that's not how the world works.

The exception might be if your character has has an unnatural skin tone. If you're cosplaying Marceline, you'll probably look better if you paint yourself grey. But gasp! Some people have allergic reactions to body paint. Is accuracy really worth having your skin burn and peel all day long?

tl;dr
Who fucking cares.
>>
>>8872018
>In a perfect world
men like me... do not exist
>>
Are there any actually good tutorials for drawing on fake freckles? I'm going to be cosplay a character who canonically has freckles so I feel like I should do them to add to accuracy, but every tutorial I find is shit.
>>
>>8872078
I've seen this tutorial around that doesn't seem too bad. I havent tried it myself.
http://spookihope.tumblr.com/post/124373831160/%EF%BE%9F-welcome-to-spookihopes-mystical
>>
>>8872078
You're better off going without them. There's no point in accuracy because fake freckles are bound to make your cosplay look worse.

Just look for examples of people forgoing freckles even though the character has them. It doesn't distract from anything.
>>
>>8872018
I don't like this thinking because it means anyone who goes bare chest and ripped purple shorts can do Hulk cosplay.
Please don't.
Cosplaying around physical features is a good idea. Especially around bodytype.
Face and skin don't matter too much unless it's trying to cosplay Schwarzenegger with a weak jawline or Dee Jay if you're not black. It's going to look awful and you'll not be recognizable.
>>
>>8872458
Why are you bringing up body type when that anon was talking about skin?
>>
>>8871917
>fake freckles
Always look like shit, especially when the character doesn't even have them
>>
>>8872575
>we could all look exactly like the characters we were cosplaying
>bodytype is part of looks
>>
>>8872094
Isn't this the cosplayer that's 90% photoshop?
>>
>>8872785
I'm pretty sure they were mostly referring to skin, anon.
>>
File: IMG_5791.jpg (153KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5791.jpg
153KB, 600x800px
>>8871951
Don't cover the freckles. I have tried. It turns into a disaster even if you use stage makeup. I id it for my Hinata cosplay and it only made my face look cakey and even then, because I have darker freckles and pale skin, you could still see them. Just find characters who wouldn't look terrible with very light freckles if you use normal makeup.

What rustles my jimmies are people without freckles who draw them on, but only do the nose and cheek region and in a specific pattern as if that is the only way freckles 'look cute'. Those people need to be stabbed.

[image relevant is light foundation and concealer and you can still see my freckles. Not trying to hide them though for this cosplay.]

If you have a cosplay that you could get away with lightening them with normal concealer and foundation, then that is good enough for 'hiding' them. Going overboard with makeup to get rid of them never looks good and as I said before, looks cakey.

Be glad you have freckles. People have even invented temporary freckles tattoos because freckles are in 'fashion' right now. ...Man. Jimmies rustled so hard over that shit.
>>
>>8873179
I agree with this.

Freckles aren't going to make your cosplay any worse. If anything, they add character.

Don't listen to the autists who tell you to cover them up.
>>
>>8873607
I would also say stay away from characters with black hair. Freckles, honestly if you are worried, work well with characters in the warm tones and sometimes light blonde [depending on your skin color]. Work with them, not against them. If you do cosplay someone with a color that seems to clash with them just do like I suggested and do your makeup like normal. Don't lay it on more heavy. Freckles lighten on the face when you do normal makeup [concealer, foundation, powder]. From far away or in photos, they will NOT be the first thing people will notice. In photos especially. You can edit them out if you really want. Even up close, unless you have super pronounced freckles, no one will really care at all.

I still, however, advise against very dark haired characters unless they are in the warm tones for hair color.
>>
>>8871945
The why boner is real.
>>
>>8873805
>tfw i'm asian and have freckles :^ (
>>
>>8871935
wtf why is there fallout on her cheeks if she's not even wearing eyeshadow
>>
>>8873179
dem eyes and freckles A++1
>>
File: image.jpg (904KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
904KB, 2560x1600px
>>8873805
Hey, I like freckles with dark hair. Especially when the person has blue eyes.
>>
>>8875244
i think the anon meant that the chick on the left ISN'T the person on the right. the left girl is a well-known cosplayer
>>
I've had good luck with eyebrow mascara for fake freckles. I just use the tip of the wand to put the color on my face and dab with my fingers to blend.
>>
>>8876490
GET THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>8872078
don't listen to people that say not to do them. Stipple sponge with a shade of foundation darker than your own, cut the edge of the sponge to be rounded and gently blot it onto your face sparingly. Take a paper towel and dab it on top (directly down) to take away excess. Practice before hand.
>>
>>8876490
stop. doing. that. now.
>>
>>8871951
As someone who uses photoshop, eh I'll just remove them anyway, because I have become borderline Aryan when it comes to character looks.
>>
File: image.png (328KB, 490x642px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
328KB, 490x642px
>>8876823
Post an example of this because it sounds like a disaster.
>>
>>8876490
Let me guess...
Dave Strider or Karkat.
Every time desu
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
It seems like every time someone does an okay job of applying freckles, they only put them on their cheeks and nose. Because to them, that's the only way freckles can be "cute". Because God forbid you apply them to the rest of your body like most freckled people have.

Yes I'm a little mad. People are usually pretty vocal about this opinion too.
>"yeah freckles are so cute as long as you're not covered in them! that's gross"
Just...fuck you...
>>
>>8871939
Not when done correctly with the toothbrush technique.
>>
File: tintedbrowmascara_main.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tintedbrowmascara_main.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>8876693
>>8876824
Eyebrow mascara/gel. Not a pencil. The gel is translucent. Revlon has one too.
>>
>>8882198
>freckles all over body
>none on face because of religious 50spf sunscreen use

Is this the new tanning is racist argument? I can't add freckles to my face because I don't have any there already?
>>
>>8882328
Did you misread that post entirely?
>>
>>8882198
Everyone has at least some freckles on their bodies, anon. If you're out in the sun, you'll get freckles. Some people just need to add freckles to their face, because their parents loved them and put sunscreen on their nose and cheeks.
>>
>>8882345
>>8882328
My point was people with no freckles always put them on just their noses and cheeks. It usually doesn't look natural either, especially when they put them in a perfect strip like that girl.

I never said people who don't have freckles on their face can't put them their? Where did you get that idea from? As long as it's well applied it's fine.
>>
>>8872458
>>8872785
I feel like there are some people on this board who are obsessed with body types. Like OP is talking about skin-types and yet your comparing it to fat cosplayers.
Like I hate fatties as much as the next anon, but holy shit not every thread has to divulge into a body-shaming battle.
>>
>>8882360
Thats the same argument I make, anon. It drives me crazy when people put fake freckles on only under they eyes [dotted across the cheeks] and on the nose. Freckles aren't all the same size and they have different fades as well. They aren't clustered to high hell like >>8882198 in a nice neat row. I will say that this is better than most people do it, but I don't know if you have heard about the freckle tattoos or not. It tried to get kickstarted and is probably the most annoying freckle related thing out there besides the brow pencil shit. [http://freckyourself.com/]

I also want to say that it pisses me off its okay to crate the skin of someone else who is white, but divulge anywhere near anyone darker than a blonde outside getting a tan at the beach and suddenly you are a racist black facer. If we are going to pull that shit then no one should ever wear makeup. To me, I was made fun of for my face looking dirty for years because of my freckles. Im insulted when people use makeup to put on fake, ugly, unrealistic freckles, but I'm not allowed to have a say in it because I'm white. Freckles can span ethnicities, I understand that, but its just as insulting as someone feeling attacked by un-racist 'black face' for a costume.
>>
As a very freckly girl, I have sometimes found them to be a bit of a pain when it comes to cosplay. Especially on characters it doesn't suit. The only time I've completely covered them was for Jinx. Which was great because without freckles I look like a cancer patient.

Anyway what I used was a full layer of Napoleon stick foundation, a layer of liquid foundation, another layer of stick and then a quite heavy layer of translucent powder. It almost totally covered them all, so it is possible. Though this was only on my face, it was a struggle to cover any on my shoulders and arms.
>>
So going in the other direction, there's a character I'm thinking of doing that has a couple freckles on her cheeks. Does anyone know a tutorial that won't lead to me being posted on Bad Makeup?
>>
>>8882198
Yeah you salty. Of course they're not going to sit there and dot their legs for your comfort level kek! It's a fucking selfie. You sound entitled to be that aggressive towards shallow shit. Get over yourself.
>>
>>8873805

This is really dumb advice. I have black hair and light freckles, and I frequently cosplay characters with dark hair without problems. Plenty of people naturally have dark colored hair and freckles, and there's no reason not to cosplay a character with dark hair just because you have freckles.
>>
>>8885484
Toothbrush method is the most realistic I've seen.
http://spookihope.tumblr.com/post/124373831160/%EF%BE%9F-welcome-to-spookihopes-mystical
>>
File: char_51995.jpg (19KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_51995.jpg
19KB, 210x240px
I'm a pretty freckly motherfucker...think if I did Dean I should just use a light foundation and let my freckles show through, or given the char should I draw the lil dicks on?
>>
>>8888665
If you've got em, I'd let em show. Me personally, I hate when people draw a few dots on their face to show freckles, it just looks lazy.
>>
>>8888671
Cheers, I thought so myself, but I see so many cosplayers draw Stylistic Lines on themselves these days I wasn't sure what the standard is for makeup anymore.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.