[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CUTSEW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 16

File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+08.55.16).jpg (51KB, 612x315px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+08.55.16).jpg
51KB, 612x315px
I just saw this come up in my facebook and I don't know what to think. Has /cgl/ seen this? I want to know peoples opinions.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cutsew-sewing-patterns-better#/

In theory it sounds cute and fun but I always find things like kickstarter/indigogo/etc to be pretty fucking sketchy.
>>
File: aa.png (34KB, 639x508px) Image search: [Google]
aa.png
34KB, 639x508px
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.00.01).jpg (85KB, 643x511px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.00.01).jpg
85KB, 643x511px
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.00.49).jpg (71KB, 637x473px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.00.49).jpg
71KB, 637x473px
>>
>>8869256
>short suspender skirt
>nu egl!
>short suspender skirt with ruffles
>sweet lolita!
>bandeau bra with full skirt
>dolly kei!

I like the idea behind the project and it'd be a great resource for beginners, but they didn't even do any research into the jfashions that they listed their patterns as suitable for.
The patterns are pretty generic though and I'm not like "omg I need this!" since these are all patterns that I could draft very quickly by myself. If they offered more complex patterns like bodysuits, I'd be more inclined to jump on the offer and fund.
>>
>>8869256
sound interesting, I think I would be more inclined to back it if they had photographs of examples of an actual pattern, and also showed examples of something that was made from one of the patterns.

also
>"lolita jumper"
>sweet loli

my eyes rolled a little, I wish they would just say lolita inspired or something
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.02.46).jpg (81KB, 608x509px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.02.46).jpg
81KB, 608x509px
>>8869279

Thats similar to how I feel. Some of these jfash categories I've never even heard of. But I'm likely uneducated myself as I tend to stick strictly to super sweet styles
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.05.07).jpg (72KB, 654x535px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.05.07).jpg
72KB, 654x535px
>>
>>8869279
>they didn't even do any research into the jfashions that they listed their patterns
That bothers me as well. Especially tne nu-egl label. The only pattern I even remotely like the look of is the seifuku, and I'd never wear it in the first place. Soooo. Nope.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.06.20).jpg (74KB, 594x490px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.06.20).jpg
74KB, 594x490px
>>
>>8869279
>The patterns are pretty generic though and I'm not like "omg I need this!" since these are all patterns that I could draft very quickly by myself. If they offered more complex patterns like bodysuits, I'd be more inclined to jump on the offer and fund.

I totally get what you're saying but I think that's also the point of the project - the patterns seem like they're very much made to be for beginners and novices. Certain things like bodysuits are probably slightly too complex for the audience they are aiming it at/things like that are probably too complex to be as simplified as they are trying to do with their patterns.

But yeah, I too wish they had done more research on their "jfashion" patterns.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.07.54).jpg (76KB, 626x513px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.07.54).jpg
76KB, 626x513px
>>
File: 10103085b.jpg (151KB, 999x894px) Image search: [Google]
10103085b.jpg
151KB, 999x894px
>>8869297
>hellcatpunks

ok, that is an actual brand. why would they use a brand name?
>>
>>8869290
>mori girl

lol what. I've also literally never heard of sweet doe and I just googled it and found nothing so IDK what they're trying to do here. a cute dress otherwise but please don't categorize it into fashions you know nothing about
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.09.50).jpg (47KB, 432x498px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.09.50).jpg
47KB, 432x498px
>>
>>8869303
>>8869304
Because they did no research.
>>
>>8869287
these dubious patterns will lead to a whole new wave of bad handmade itas. i'm ready but also not ready.
these patterns look like they did "research" by watching a couple random yumi king tutorials and then went "ok so if we just make a circle skirt with suspender straps, it's lolita."

>>8869295
the babydoll romper is cute but it'd probably look terrible irl since most people have tits.

>>8869298
yeah I get what you're saying. i just wish there was a custom pattern service that made more complex patterns. i totally get that these patterns are for beginners though.
>>
should probably have used real people in photos of the patterns.. or at least realistic drawings.. i have no idea what the items are supposed to look like on me
>>
File: haha.png (24KB, 591x376px) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
24KB, 591x376px
>you pay us for your work designing something!

lol wut. I'm sure it'd be way cheaper to commission someone else to design a pattern...?
>>
>>8869304
i think it's supposed to be some kind of weird descriptor. i noticed their seifuku pattern has the word saccharine slapped on it so it's probably just filler garbage.
>>
>>8869302
>witch charlotte there's a canon human charlotte and that's not what she look like
literally no research

>>8869303
they're probably just random words that the pattern is inspired by but i'm not seeing hellcatpunks in that flight suit at all.

>>8869317
weebs don't need photos of real people, they just need some generic animu characters with clothes drawn on and they'll fund it without even thinking about what the clothes would look like on them.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.15.52).png (31KB, 591x395px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-16+at+09.15.52).png
31KB, 591x395px
>>
>>8869326
that's so dumb. that's like the opposite of a perk.
>>
>This company's looking to launch a line of j-fashion and cosplay patterns, including some Lolita stuff~ Super excited for them, and I'm meeting with the owner next week for advice on running a business. Hopefully we can do some collabs in the future! I encourage giving to their Indie GoGo

First piece of advice: do your fucking research.
Second piece of advice: don't try to run an indiegogo to start your company.
>>
holy shit these patterns are roughly $40 each. a bunch of these are just circle skirts.
>>
>>8869276
>>8869290
>>8869294
Seems very hit-or-miss to me, and I don't like how they used a cartoon picture to represent how the finished clothing might look. It's misleading, since some of the stuff is going to look cuter on a cartoony, blobby character vs. actually looking semi-decent in real life.

Plus there are a lot of similar, commercially-available patterns already and only a minor modification away from what they offer. I think the top draw to buy a $25 pattern is for the customization aspect of it? Even then, they only offer 4 sizes and patterns for loose-fitting clothing that will accommodate just about anyone within 4 sizes.
>>
>>8869325
Isn't that design of Charlotte pretty popular, though?
>>
>>8869334
God I just want to ask them for a size chart first. If 36/34.5/39 (a figure with a well-rounded waist) is a Medium for their patterns, Small must be pretty big as well. The numbers are probably in the 40 inches range for the XL.
>>
>>8869341
popular but outdated. do people even still cosplay madoka magica?

>>8869336
a lot of these patterns look like they came from commercial patterns that are already available.

i really hope this project goes well since the patternmaker apparently quit her job to start this project.
>>
>>8869316
let's be fucking real though, even yumi king tutorials are 10x better than what these people are trying to call lolita. like...some of them wouldn't be too bad with a slight pattern adjustment and using higher quality materials for a basic thing. she made some chocolate JSK recently that like, honestly wasn't too terrible compared to some of her past crap.

>>8869334
ick...if they're $40 then I take back what I said about them seeming interesting - you could find patterns at jo-ann's or online from other cosplayers and j-fashion sources for cheaper or equal price but like, actually better. I hope that's not anything like what the real prices will be like because simpler patterns should NOT cost that much. that's like, the cost of an advanced Vogue pattern.
>>
Maybe it's because I've been sewing for a really long time, but this just strikes me as fucking stupid. Saying things like "the instructions are in PLAIN ENGLISH" and "our patterns will DEFINITELY FIT YOU unlike commercial ones for MANNEQUINS" is kind of ridiculous.

A. If you don't understand the instructions for a sewing pattern, do some research/ask for help or accept that it's beyond your current skill level and B. If you don't have to alter a pattern to fit you better, you're accepting that it won't match your measurements perfectly. When I see 'made to fit YOU', it's usually referring to oversized designed that aren't meant to be fitted in the first place or the garment will have a shitload of elastic to MAKE it fit. Based on the illustrations, that looks exactly like what's happening here. Acting like they put special effort into it instead of just coming up with shit that doesn't need to fit like a glove anyway rubs me the wrong way.

I completely get that I'm probably being a prissy motherfucker over something that's harmless, but I don't know. The technical flats are nice and some of the original designs are sort of cute despite being mislabeled, but I'm not seeing anything worth paying for here.
>>
>>8869354
>If you don't have to alter a pattern to fit you better, you're accepting that it won't match your measurements perfectly
Plus, there are already commercial patterns out there with detailed instructions on fitting/changing the pattern to fit you. Vogue has a line specially devoted to different cup sizes, and directions on how to make sure you get the proper fit. And if memory serves, it's under 15USD a pattern, as compared to these, which appear to be nearly three times that depending on your backing tier.

And I get it, those aren't ~*~cosplay~*~ or jfashion patterns, but these aren't exactly great for cosplay or jfashion, either.
>>
What kind of meat claw hands do you have that tissue paper is too much for you? Pattern paper can be irritating and all, but this sounds like "this is the only kind of paper we could print on" instead of a perk.
>>
>>8869354
This, I'm reading weasel words for "fit".

If it's truly meant to fit to size, their calculator should be generating a slightly different pattern for every 0.5" of difference and have an input field for height/weight/inseam/neck/arm/account for shorter/longer-than-average torsos.
>>
>>8869272
>nu-egl
What is this even
>>
>>8869364
I tend to trace my patterns for durability and safekeeping, to be honest. Not on anything as heavy as what they're using, but onto other pattern paper. That way, if it DOES tear, or I want to reuse the pattern at a different size, or whatever, I can just retrace the original onto a new piece and not stress about it.
>>
>>8869364
I think that may be to justify the $25-$40 purchase price a bit more, since that's a lot to pay for a one-time-use disposable tissue paper. There is always tracing the pattern onto new paper, but regular tissue paper usually gets pretty beaten up by the end of my heavy alterations when I work with it, even if it's never pinned to fabric for the final cut.
>>
>>8869348
>do people even still cosplay madoka magica?
I dunno do people still cosplay Sailor Moon or DBZ?
>>
>>8869360
You're totally right. The more I ponder this, the more irritated I get. It seems like an active attempt to circumvent the part of sewing where you actually have to learn to sew. Not everyone is going to/wants to be a master craftsman or anything, but you have to have SOME basic knowledge of things like fit and fabrication to make your own clothing.

If it were easy, everyone would do it. Isn't that the point of putting effort into learning a practical craft?? This is pushing my buttons way more than it should, oh my god.
>>
>>8869372
>>8869374
Okay, I feel a little bit better about that bullet point now. Those are good points, thanks.
>>
>>8869379
It's going for one-size-fits-most, instant gratification results. Most of the patterns are for poncho-like tops (note the lack of darts or anything that taper to fit) or skirts with a single point of fitting that people can just throw over themselves and say it's good.
>>
>>8869387
that's exactly what the point of this project is though, instant gratification. 13 year olds who are making babby's first cosplay aren't going to take the time to learn about fit and do research about fabrication first. they might later on but not right now.

>>8869374
have you tried using dot paper for modifications instead? i think tracing off the pattern onto sturdier paper could help with it not being as beaten up.
>>
Someone on my FB list shared this campaign. Another person replied with "Wait for McCalls to do it better" and posted this link:

http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/cosplay-by-mccalls/

Has anyone else seen these previously? I know that the big name pattern makers often do movie or TV-themed patterns, but they usually toss it under costumes, and rarely allude to the origins of the design.
>>
>>8869394
>sturdier paper
I have tried, and the pros and cons weren't as good. At the cost of being more durable and less likely to tear, it was harder to transfer marks through the paper, harder see through the paper when joining multiple pieces together, harder to slash and manipulate the pieces, tougher to pin to fabric, less flexible, and bulkier to fold up and store away.
I went back to using medical paper for tracing, which is only slightly heavier than the $1 tissue paper and only $10 for a roll that lasts around 5 years.
>>
>>8869306
this is the only one I think is cute.
>>
>>8869403
>>8868408
>>
>>8869420
Ta. Didn't see that in the catalog.
>>
>>8869417
It's just a generic spaghetti strap dress and capelet though.
>>
I have been looking for patterns, these look like shit
>>
someone should send them this thread and tell them to read the concrit lol

admittedly I think a project like this could work, patterns for hardcore noobs, but they need to tweak some stuff as mentioned
>>
File: Guu_dance-1.gif (355KB, 327x361px) Image search: [Google]
Guu_dance-1.gif
355KB, 327x361px
>>8869294
>bandeau & petti

What J fash is this? Is Guu-kei a thing now?
>>
>>8869365
this was what bugged me too. if they were really serious about fit, why is everything in S,M,L grade? like wouldn't you get a better fit by doing just a normal inch grade and have the user cut based on their measurements. like most people use patterns?

I don't see how that input field would even be helpful considering how much of a range a S, M, L range can have.

maybe I've been sewing too long and maybe grading production patterns has changed my opinions on things. I don't mind the idea of j-fashion patterns and I like the thicker paper (I hate tissue paper, especially if i plan on using the pattern a lot!), but I'm not a fan of the designs or the way the sizing is done. none of these designs look like they would be flattering on anyone. especially that romper with gathers at the stomach and no fitting on the yoke/bodice? also the fact that the shoulder seams don't match up on the flat or the illustration of the t-shirt dress? some things just don't actually seem easier for beginners. I don't know, feels sloppy and gimmicky.
>>
>>8869462
Obviously you're supposed to go visit a tea cafe with your belly hanging out >>8869294
>>
>>8869306
It's just a Sylveon gijinka...
>>
This is shameful.

I had high hopes for the project, but this is disappointing.

They clearly didn't do the research, and this is something that could easily be done without a fundraiser.
>>
>>8872029
it seems like the only real reason they did the fundraiser was so they could guarantee payment of some kind.
>>
>>8869302
I see why they went with Charlotte because they wanted to pick a Madoka character with no fitted clothes. Nagoya would have still made more sense
>>
>>8869272
>nu-egl
fuck NO
>>
>>8869256
very very very "subtle" troll thread, fucktard
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.