[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the new cosplay-oriented patterns relea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 19

File: Envelopes_crop.jpg (69KB, 860x280px) Image search: [Google]
Envelopes_crop.jpg
69KB, 860x280px
What do you think of the new cosplay-oriented patterns released by McCall's?

>http://cosplay.mccall.com/cosplay-by-mccall-s-brand-collection-pages-5923.php
>>
File: M2015wings.jpg (98KB, 860x737px) Image search: [Google]
M2015wings.jpg
98KB, 860x737px
>FLIGHT
>http://cosplay.mccall.com/flight-products-50992.php?page_id=5923

Wings + harness
>>
File: Trench.jpg (118KB, 860x977px) Image search: [Google]
Trench.jpg
118KB, 860x977px
>TRENCH
>http://cosplay.mccall.com/trenched-products-50991.php?page_id=5923

Trenchcoat, maybe this can replace the Simplicity Matrix duster pattern that was popular with cosplayers and discontinued 2-3 years ago
>>
File: M2016Cape.jpg (194KB, 860x958px) Image search: [Google]
M2016Cape.jpg
194KB, 860x958px
>CLOAK X
>http://cosplay.mccall.com/cloak-x-products-50993.php?page_id=5923

Cloak, is this based on some western fiction?
>>
>>8868417
Vash the Stampede
>>8868422
Game of Thrones

Come on anon. There's been not-[insert series here] patterns for ages. Not-Arwen and not-Eowyn gown patterns have been around for ages, there's even a goddamn sailor moon pattern now.
>>
>>8868422
Jon Snow from Game of Thrones
>>
>>8868412
I've seen tutorials for similar wings online before, but it could be really helpful for someone that isn't too aware of the online community or a newbie who could work better with a physical pattern in front of them.
>>
>>8868444
I consume absolutely no western fiction stuff, so it is unfamiliar to me. I admit that I can't recognize anything from Game of Thrones (other than a chair of swords?).
>>
I feel like there's so many fucking resources now for cosplay that people shouldn't be asking so many questions demanding to be spoon-fed or making crappy things.
Don't know how to make those wings? There's a pattern now. Want fabric made for Cosplayers (tm)? Now Yaya Han sells some damn fabric. Need a wig? Congrats, if you pay attention to reviews and photos there's plenty of decent quality wigs these days on taobao, ebay, amazon, aliexpress, etc. for $20.

I was thinking about this at a con the other day, but I feel like there's so many freaking resources for cosplayers these days that there should be no excuse for a poorly sewn, badly fraying costume satin cosplay monster. You can even buy okay-ish cosplays from China for an okay-ish price.
>>
>>8868467
The wings would be great to draft off of. I dont care for the fluffy wing look, but the straight pinions would be great to scale up and down. I'd get this, ngl.
>>
>>8868477
I forgot to say this but basically, I just hope these all help people to make higher quality items. Not that I go to cons and expect professional costume designer-quality shit or anything like that, but it's just nice to see the time and care put into cosplays and it's fun learning new skills. Gluing those cheap craft feathers to popsicle sticks to make wings is not really honing in on any skill in particular.
>>
>>8868477
Thats the thing though, there are many resources (specific fabrics, patterns, wigs etc) but if you have no skill or drive to cosplay well you still wont end up with a good costume.

Personally I hope this makes normies more aware of cosplay as a term and a hobby, because Im really tired of having to explain it.
>>
>>8868477
doesn't matter how many things exist, if it's more then 10 dollars people won't do it. they'd rather look cheap then spend money.
>>
>>8868477
>there should be no excuse for a poorly sewn, badly fraying costume satin cosplay monster.

You're forgetting about the excessively lazy and cheap cosplayers. Those who don't care to learn anything or spend any money.
>>
>>8868477
Resources have improved, human nature & poor planning are the same as always.
>>
File: trigu3n[1].png (121KB, 276x264px) Image search: [Google]
trigu3n[1].png
121KB, 276x264px
>>8868417
>>
Not McCalls but this one came out from Simplicity and I haven't been able to find it in stores. It has a weird number, anyone know anything about it?
>>
>>8869025
It might be an exclusive to the website like how those three McCall's deluxe cosplay patterns are. I haven't seen that bunny suit pattern in stores, either.

On a related note, Simplicity should be releasing their own sailor uniform pattern very soon.
>>
File: lS1FMEN.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
lS1FMEN.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>8868476
>I consume absolutely no western fiction stuff,
look out everyone we got a snowflake here
>>
>>8868477
People are still cheap and will tend to get cheap fabric and paint because they don't know the difference in quality.
>>
>>8868422
You know nothing
>>
>>8869025
http://www.simplicity.com/effy-sews-cosplay-corset-pattern/1007.html#q=Cosplay&prefn1=contentType&prefv1=simplicity-tools-supplies&start=3
>>
>>8868417
I really fucking like the seams going down the front of this. It's kind of a bitch to place long, continuous pattern pieces if you're trying to conserve fabric, but it will do wonders for you visually if you're short.

>>8868412
nifty I guess?

>>8868422
IMO this would have been more appealing to me as a combined cloak/cape pattern, like if it also contained instructions for a cape with a fitted high collar. As it stands, it's... kind of bland, to be honest.
>>
>>8868422
.. or just use a free online pattern http://i.imgur.com/1FhbUVr.jpg

I like the wings/harness pattern and I can see the trench coat one helping people but the cloak is just dumb, it's not that hard to gather fabric and sew some fur on the top
>>
>>8868506
>>8868477
>>8868490
I run a moderately popular cosplay blog that includes a some tutorials. And I cannot tell you how often I will get questions like "how do I style spikes into a wig?" "I'm cosplaying Miku, what fabric and pattern should I use?" "How do I make a Madoka cosplay like yours?"

There are TONS more resources, but lots of cosplayers are just that much lazier or don't want to take a generic tutorial and apply it to the thing they're making - instead they want step-by-step instructions dropped into their laps, complete with pattern and fabric suggestions. I have literally had people ask me how to apply bias tape to a certain costume, when a google search for a generic tutorial would have taken five seconds.
>>
File: tumblr_n69mnv4KzX1qabe6do1_250.gif (1MB, 234x176px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n69mnv4KzX1qabe6do1_250.gif
1MB, 234x176px
My question is when will someone release a pattern for leggings that need to have feet attached.

I've had to do three costumes now and every time there's little footies at the end of the leggings it's literally hell to try and get the right shape. It's something so simple but knowing what length is good and not being sure if I pulled my fabric too much up or down is frustrating.

Same with sleeves that have the gloves attached. Please McCall's. Spare me.
>>
>>8869025
Her face is giving me nightmares.
>>
>>8868477
There's much, MUCH more than when I started out 15+ years ago, but the fact that a pattern exists that's decently close to what you want doesn't somehow make you a skilled sewist on your first try. That's a really stupid statement.
>>
>>8869517
Or just buy it during a $.99 pattern sale and save yourself the time and pattern paper it takes to draft it yourself.
>>
File: shoepants.png (7KB, 522x688px) Image search: [Google]
shoepants.png
7KB, 522x688px
>>8869776
>>
>>8868422
Well my dick is hard now. I've been thinking of doing nights watch for ages now.
>>
File: IMAG0280.jpg (1MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0280.jpg
1MB, 1824x3264px
Found this at hobby lobby today. I'm really salty because they didn't do the pleats properly. Wish they would just do more licensed patterns if they're gonna half ass these ones
>>
>>8870315
Link pattern when?
>>
>>8870315
Some things have to be simplified for the target audience, unfortunately. Plus anyone with intermediate or beyond skills can either draft their own patterns or is competent enough to modify a pre-existing one like this to be more accurate.
>>
>>8870315
>firefly path
>>
>>8870315
shit, that's not even on their site yet. I'm definitely interested in seeing it in person myself. I've wanted to do TP Zelda for a while, but I hate drafting patterns by hand.
>>
File: vVAAAxR6Q.jpg (109KB, 1024x525px) Image search: [Google]
vVAAAxR6Q.jpg
109KB, 1024x525px
>>8871266
Same here, I'm going to keep an eye out for >>8870315 in stores. Simplicity is supposedly coming out with several cosplay-specific patterns for their Early Summer collection, if the cover of their upcoming Cosplay Catalog (for display/use in stores) means anything.
>>
File: eawh2o6l.jpg (391KB, 961x1096px) Image search: [Google]
eawh2o6l.jpg
391KB, 961x1096px
Also new from McCall's

>M7373
>http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7373-products-51025.php
>>
File: tgueogha.jpg (192KB, 839x770px) Image search: [Google]
tgueogha.jpg
192KB, 839x770px
>>8872441
>M7374
>http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7374-products-51026.php
>>
>>8872441
Way does yaya look fat in this picture?
>>
>>8872449
Super puffy shoulders and short skirt combined with her huge chest and short stature. It's not a good combo.
>>
Here's the back of the Zelda pattern. If anyone wants to see the instructions I can post them later tonight
>>
File: IMAG0285.jpg (1MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0285.jpg
1MB, 1824x3264px
Dropped my pic
>>
>>8869776
Hello fellow Jojo cosplayer
>>8869893
That's fairly helpful
>>
>>8872449
probably because she wears a corset in every other photo
>>
>>8872449
Her tits are too big or the dress is too small in the photos. It's making a crease under her boobs and making it look like an extra seam where there is no seam on the pattern.
>>
File: dis stoopid.gif (495KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
dis stoopid.gif
495KB, 500x443px
>>8872627
Wait so it also has pattern for the armor and not just the dress? I suddenly have a mighty need.
>>
>>8872627
Would love to see the instructions!

>over 8 yds of 45" fabric needed for the main dress body
This is sure to cause some confusion and disappointment in stores since a lot of 45" fabrics simply don't come in bolts longer than 8 yards and good luck picking up a fresh, uncut bolt, even. And people most likely to be told "there aren't 8 yards here..." are the ones who are going to pick up that pattern, choose the cheaper fabrics, and make incorrect estimations about the yardage on a bolt in the first place.
I work in a fabric store and this happens way too often.
>>
>>8872644
Would you realllllly need the 8 yards though?

I just started using patterns and I'm buying what they suggest and I'm noticing I have a lot leftover even though I'm doing everything right.
>>
>>8872649
Pattern manufacturers are generally generous with the suggested yardage and for good reason. You'd rather have the consumer end up with more than they need instead of an inch or two short (and angry feedback follows).

In my experience, I've found that the bigger the garment, the more extra yardage the manufacturer will suggest. It's usually it's the fabric itself that is a little wider than indicated and you can get creative with the layout while staying with the correct bias/grain to reduce amount of fabric needed, but it does take time/skill.
>>
>>8872644
most of the casa fabrics at joann's are 60" wide though, as are many (most?) bridal and dull satins. unless you're doing this from quiilt cottons you can probably find a 60" wide....plus i'd have to see the pattern layout, but there's probably better/more snug ways to arrange the pieces, unless your fabric has a nap.
>>
>>8872659
Yeah sometimes I look at patterns for ballgown and they're like "main fabric = 12 yards" and I'm like uhhhh unless we're making a Mexican dancers skirt that is highly unlikely
>>
>>8872663
The people trying to save money are going to be the ones picking the 45" quilting cottons over 58-60" special occasion fabrics. I've had many high school girls come through and ask for the cheapest quilting cottons cut for ballgowns and similar costumes, despite suggesting to them that it wasn't the best fabric for the job.
>>
>>8870907
WHYYY would you need a pattern for something so ridiculously simple? It is literally an extra long T-shirt and a folded triangle with some detailing. Then basic pants and a long sleeve shirt.

Fucking moron.
>>
File: 1455444378323.jpg (63KB, 542x421px) Image search: [Google]
1455444378323.jpg
63KB, 542x421px
>>8868477
I only heard that pattern books existed only last week because a friend showed them to me.

You're underestimating how unknowledgeable people can be.
>>
>>8872688
You'd be surprised by the amount of people who can't use old information in new situations.
>>
>>8872250
there's maybe 2 in that image that they haven't already released. The mens one on there is definitely already on their site.
>>
>>8872441
this is absolutely unflattering on yaya but I think it'll be a cute pattern in general. Like I said in >>8869508, I'm glad to see things that have princess seams and no seams that cut across the body.

What I would have liked from this pattern is puff sleeves in variable lengths (cap, short, half, and long). However, for something geared at beginner to intermediate cosplayers, I think it introduces good buildable skills: puff sleeves in general, properly-fitting high collars, godets, slits, and linings.
>>
File: moon.jpg (149KB, 695x1000px) Image search: [Google]
moon.jpg
149KB, 695x1000px
would ya look at that
>>
>>8873930
been out for months
>>
>>8873930
Been out for a long time. Been raked about before. I picked it up during one of the previous $1 sales at joanns.
>>
>>8872649
>>8872659
>>8872668
If you pay attention to grainline and the direction/nap of the fabric in relation to the pattern pieces, you can often reduce the amount of fabric you use. I rarely buy my patterns and fabric on the same trip because of this. I buy the pattern first, take it home and do alterations and a test layout. You may have to cut pieces you need multiples of one at a time, but cutting layouts printed in patterns are for convenience and not conservation of fabric.
>>
>>8872441
Hm, had this been a couple years ago, I bet nonon cosplayers would've flocked to this
>>
>>8872449
Holy shit, you weren't kidding. Big boobs are really unflattering if you're not showing them off.

It's surreal to see fabric stores marketing towards what I thought was going to be this niche underground scene. We must be a decently large market share if they're print forth this much effort.
>>
>>8878515
the frequent Joann/craft/fabric store threads here hinted at it. a lot of gulls who work at those stores share stories of cosplayers and weebs coming in. they seem to be one of biggest demographics after quilters.
>>
>>8878777
Yeah they have to prep for the dying quilter population. Knitting is still going strong with younger demographics but quilting will dwindle.
>>
>>8878515
>Big boobs are really unflattering if you're not showing them off.
As someone with big boobs, I can confirm this 100%
Especially if you're short like me
>>
Literally all I want is a decent looking bustier/ corset pattern, is that so much to ask
>>
File: headshot-yaya.png (50KB, 417x369px) Image search: [Google]
headshot-yaya.png
50KB, 417x369px
>>8878777
>>8878515
We're expecting at least 10-20 more bolts of Yaya Han fabric to show up tomorrow and the Cosplay Fabrics collection (~72 bolts total) should be "complete" by March 12 in stores.

>>8878812
>>8878777
Cosplay Costume Fabrics does seem to be a new and permanent section in JoAnn stores now, since the website has updated with the category as well
>http://www.joann.com/fabric/cosplay-costume-fabric/
>>
>>8879812
>everything on sale already

This is such a scam idek what to say.
>>
>>8879812
I know only their Yaya stuff is out so far, but does anyone know if Cosplay Fabrics is going to be selling everything in their line just through JoAnn's? They don't have any shopping options set up on their own website currently.

Curious because JJ Industries is teaming up with them for the screen-accurate Kylo Ren fabric that JJ had produced several runs of through a UK mill.
>>
>>8879824
They are supposed to be on 25% off sale a lot especially from March 13 onwards, but they weren't on sale at all for the past 3 weeks. There was a 60% off coupon with JoAnn in the last 4-5 days and I applaud anyone who bought the cosplay fabrics with it.
>>
>>8879858
>screen-accurate Kylo Ren fabric
ngl, you've piqued my interest there, anon. got some sources on this info?
>>
>>8868477
Japan has a shit ton more cosplay resources than western fans, and they still pump out shitty frayed ill fitting costumes at Komiket every year.

Wherever you go, there will be shitters.
>>
>>8872444
>http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7374-products-51026.php

That might actually come in handy. Could be re-tooled to look like Foxhound coat, or something similar.
>>
>>8879940
If you want more info join a facebook group called knights of ren it is where JJ normally posts a lot of his updates and stuff
>>
>>8880007
there's a shitton of "knights of ren" groups on FB....is it the one that's at /groups/KnightsOfRen?

polite sage for OT
>>
>>8879940
There's a big thread on TheRPF for the runs they were doing on their own:
therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237811

It's pretty long, but TheRPF is the place to go for Star Wars costume info. I'm making Kylo Ren and Rey for me and my boyfriend, and it's been SO useful.

Their JJ Industries facebook page is where they posted about joining up with CosplayFabrics. CF have a mailing list you can sign up for to get an update on its availability. Looking closer, it looks like JJ said it'll be done through the CF site, but they don't sell stuff on it? So it's a bit confusing. I'm just hoping it won't be $50/yard or something crazy...
>>
>>8880230
Different person, but yeah, that's the one!
>>
>>8880569
>CF mailing list
It doesn't do anything. They haven't sent out a single e-mail through the list. They're a lot more responsive on Twitter.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.