[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aging out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: image.gif (2MB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 268x268px
Hey gulls
Con season is rolling around again and I am hype for MAGfest, but I'm starting to feel a little weird and self conscious about going. I'm 32, have a corporate job and find myself passing on parties so I can get to sleep and not be a total wreck for the next day.
When I meet up with other nerds, I feel super out of place. I love going to cons and getting to really indulge in the silly nerd shit I love, but at what point am I the creepy old dude at a con? I love going, but don't want to overstay my welcome, as it were. Anyone else deal with these types of feelings?
>>
>>8864341
Do people wnjoy your company? If so you're set. If not, you may be getting out there. Loads of popular cosplayers are hitting 30, so age isn't as much of an issue as personality and time.
>>
I've been finding that I feel less out of place/old when I go to conventions that aren't anime focused. Gaming, comic, and sci-fi conventions tend to have an older crowd.
>>
There's no age too old for cons and cosplay, but I believe in aging gracefully. I plan on making costumes for my children one day instead of mainly for myself and letting them take the fun spotlight.
>>
>>8864341
It's really who you surround yourself with.

I recently went to a con solo and even though I'm not old (25), I felt ancient because all I could focus on were the yelling and active teens. It made me feel really awkward and kind of creepy even though I was having a good time and talking to vendors/guests.

But when I go with a group of friends, I have a great time and don't notice it. We all have our interests and are pretty normie level because of our age, so we aren't running around spewing memes or being obnoxious.

What you could do is offer to table if you're the type the goes to cons just for the atmosphere. I have two or three friends who just work for half the con at booths in exchange for figures/merch and they enjoy it because they befriend dealers and it's both a busy and chill environment where you feel like you're actually doing something without being the bitch of the con (volunteer).

Just don't be one of those assholes who is loud as fuck and just uses cons to get trashed. They're the adults I can't stand. I always get so uncomfortable when I see a group of fully grown men throwing room parties
>>
>>8864419
Oh god yea. I don't even go to room parties anymore. I don't drink and for as weird as I feel being the oldest dude in the game room by a decade, I couldn't imagine going to a room party.

Thanks for the responses all. I'm hoping I won't feel as self conscious at MAGfest.
>>
Magfest is an older con anyway. Most of my friends are between 26 and 33 and they love going to Magfest. I am 28 and plan on going for many years. I understand how you feel though. Anime cons make me feel so old.
>>
>>8864419
Oh god yea. I don't even go to room parties anymore. I don't drink and for as weird as I feel being the oldest dude in the game room by a decade, I couldn't imagine going to a room party.

Thanks for the responses all. I'm hoping I won't feel as self conscious at MAGfest.
>>
>>8864341
I'm 32 and I don't feel old at the cons I go to, but I don't go to anime cons. Comic and scifi/fantasy cons especially have a lot of 40+ year olds. I don't feel enthusiastic about cons anymore, though. For awhile I'd do several a year, but this year I'm barely interested in doing one Saturday at my local comic con.
>>
>>8864419
I hate those types who use any kind of nerd gathering as an excuse to get trashed. They have no regular social life so cons or meet ups are pretty much their only chance to drink or whatever.

And they ruin everyone else's time.
>>
>>8864616
Someone didn't get con ass
>>
>>8864341
>be 3
>dont want to nap
>be 30
>holy shit naps are awesome

As far as your con situation you're just going to have to learn not to give a fuck. You have every right to like anime and other nerd things too. It's been as big a part of you life as it has the 15 year old's
>>
I'm getting up there but I've found that the sci-fi cons cater to the older con goers. Norwescon (Seattle, WA area) is has a reputation for being geared more towards the adult crowd. Definitely one of my favorites.
>>
>>8864341
there's a dude I hang with at nearly every con, he's married pushing 40 with kids, and I'm not even 21 yet, just find the right people to hang out with.
>>
Also getting older here, I've been visiting cons last years, because after graduating I had a long pause but then got interested again in anime/japanese stuff. It was fun visiting with friends, but I have no connection at all with all the younger people who are super hyped and into stuff. It's not that there aren't older people as well, but I just feel very out of place because whenever teens get excited, because it's all new to them, I'm like 'ugh no'. Sort of getting tired because it isn't new, and when I was new to it, there was only a small group, cons were like with max 300 visitors around here. I'm stupid but I miss those old these. Everything is massive now, it's just not the same feeling.
>>
>>8864635
>ur jus jeluss!!!
Another reason not to hang out with adults who never mentally progressed past 16.
>>
I think it really depends on the con. Anime does draw a younger crowd, and I think as long as you are aware of boundaries and just involve yourself with crowds that run older/you find yourself most comfortable with you'll be fine.

I'm 24, but found myself visiting my home town the other week for a small local con since it's being run by a friend and I was super uncomfortable because the only other people around my age were running the con and minus the nostalgia, everyone else was probably 16 at most. However I have a nice group that has aged with me since embarrassing no wig cosplay days that I attend bigger cons with and that really is what makes it fun. Also, if you're going to cons to meet your favorite artists, voice actors, writers, etc don't let the idea of "feeling too old" stop you!
>>
>>8865261
Cons are being commercialized, people come for merch and to blow money, instead of a community.
>>
I am 34 this year, and I tend to room with groups because economics, and the people involved generally are younger than me.
I usually end up taking the role of older brother, looking out for the group, making sure they are all safe, checking up on people who are mia for more than an hour, shit like that.
I do my damnedest to be both polite and respectful, especially to the females, getting laid at a con may be arguably easier, but the problems it comes with aren't worth it.
The best part is that I generally look my age when bearded, and my evil eye is strong. I have had to "encourage" guys who didn't get the hint to leave in the past, and I think I relish it far more than is healthy.
>tl;dr don't feel old, be the onii-san the con needs
>>
>>8864341
I'm a soon-to-be 33-year-old woman and still attend con; have been attending since I was 14. I only go once a year, mind you, but I have quite a few friends who are all in their early 20's that I see there. It's probably easier for me being a woman, considering most people don't label you 'old and creepy' as readily when you're female. It also helps to look younger than you are. But there are concessions to make for your age. I don't attend con parties (but I never have). I also don't pretend I'm fresh out of high school. It's really up to you in the end. I know that for myself, I won't be attending con when I -look- old. It'll be sad, but it's all really how you see yourself. I don't really want to be that 60-year-old weirdo hanging with a bunch of teenage nerds. If you feel out of place now, then maybe it's time to stop. The passage of time sucks ass, anon.
>>
Let's put it this way. When you were young you might have gone to cons but had to room stuff, couldn't buy all the merch you want, and had to beg your parents to go. Now that you're older you can get a room with you and a couple of your friends, buy all the fucking merch, and fly everywhere. If anything, being older and having a job is the best time to nerd the fuck out.
>>
>>8865269
Not the same anon, but the original point being made, about having con be the only opportunity to drink outside of normal life? That shit is completely reasonable and not a reason to think less of anyone. I don't have a social life, at least not one that I'd brag about, and when the one or two cons I go to roll around I unwind.
>>
You don't suddenly stop being interested in your hobby when you hit 30. There are plenty of cons that skew much older than that (Dragoncon, etc), and there are plenty of cosplayers in their 30s who have a great time at conventions. Sewing and fandom is for everyone, just find other like-minded people your age and party on.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.