[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>cosplay as characer >never watched the show/played the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 295
Thread images: 22

File: dismissive look.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dismissive look.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>cosplay as characer
>never watched the show/played the game

How much of a poser can you be?
>>
File: 1433519075090.png (260KB, 391x532px) Image search: [Google]
1433519075090.png
260KB, 391x532px
>>8860662
>really love character design
>want to cosplay said character because they're really speaking to me
>look up game
>game is genre that I absolutely hate and will never be able to get through
>do research on character and game
>cosplay said character because who the fuck cares I'm the one who's cosplaying

How much of an autist can you be to care that much what other people cosplay?
>>
>>8861032
This, as long as you're honest about not playing/watching the source material and not going around claiming to be the biggest fan ever, who gives a shit?
>>
File: 1452311175268.jpg (35KB, 515x272px) Image search: [Google]
1452311175268.jpg
35KB, 515x272px
>>8861032
>want to cosplay said character because they're really speaking to me
>really speaking to me
>speaking
>posts a picture of a mute girl
>>
>>8861040
>>8861032
I bet both of you are the type who get mad over JNig and slutting up characters, yet here you are saying people who care about others' cosplays are autistic. Lol.

Never change /cgl/.
>>
>>8861049
The reaction image was really speaking to her even though the game is horrible. How much of an autist can you be to care that much what other people post?
>>
>>8861032
for every one person that puts in the effort to research something like this, there's four bitches dressed like Zero Suit Samus that think she's from Smash Bros
>>
>>8861073
kek this. or Cammy cosplayers who don't know anything about Street Fighter except that Cammy is one of the characters.
>>
>>8860662
I guess it's an unpopular opinion but I honestly agree. Not to the point that I'll let it endlessly piss me off or anything but I don't get it. How long does it take to play a game or watch a series? If you don't like the source material I can't understand wanting to dress up as a character at all.

I guess if they don't lie about it, it's fine but if I met someone who did that constantly I'd think they're pretty weird and probably a poser.
>>
>>8860662
Some people just want to dress up in cute costumes they like. Nothing more.
>>
>>8861088
>it's cute and I like the character!
>the costume showing off my tits and stomach has nothing to do with it!
>btw support me on patreon!!
>>
>have severe depression
>bf cosplays and it's great
>want to cosplay too
>have zero interest in anything
>see posts like this
>never gonna cosplay
>>
>>8861032
>>8861054
>>8861064
>autist
>autist
>autist
>>
>>8861090
The first one yes, no one said anything about the second two. But I don't think there is anything wrong for a random person to just wear a costume they like. I'd assume if you were further into cosplay culture or were asking for money, your supporters might require more dedication.
I chose a costume I liked and it interested me enough to watch the anime and read the manga (which I enjoyed) but I would have worn that costume even if I wasn't interested. I buy and make my own costumes for my own amusement though and am not a T&A chick asking for money from anyone.
>>
>>8861093
Fuck em. Cosplay anyway.
>>
>>8861074
Or bitches cosplaying as Poison without any idea that she'a MTF.
>>
I mean, sure go ahead. Just admit it upfront that you only care about how the character looks instead of being a hypocrite and say how much you like the series and what not. It's more admirable that you have the guts to admit that you are being casual than trying to act like you care.

But then again, wouldn't it be easier for people who don't even want to finish a series to just do an OC character instead? Since the character will be designed to their taste and there won't be fans of any series reprimanding them.
>>
>>8861143
I've seen plenty of costumes I found pretty, tried the series and didn't like it. Not liking it though made me not want to cosplay it.

I dunno i much perfer the really obnoxious tumblr girls with mediocre costumes that absolutely love the series than the good cosplayers that no nothing.

I'll never understand the perspective of it's pretty so I'm gonna do it. I guess that's just differences in people and motivation
>>
>>8861179
know*
>>
>>8861093
How do you have zero interest in anything? You can cosplay anything you want.
>>
i'm conflicted, really. i don't WANT to mind if people cosplay from a series they have no idea about, but it just seems almost lazy not doing even a bit of research beforehand.
as long as they don't pretend to know what they're talking about, it's not really a problem. i had a conversation with a zero suit samus and i started talking about metroid prime and she was trying really hard to follow but i could tell she hadn't played the game. when i asked she said she had played it but 'just forgot'.
i don't have consoles so i can't play popular games but if i'm interested i'll look up playthroughs and read up on the wikis or even seek out a friend with the game so i can play it.
>>
File: grimace.gif (14KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
grimace.gif
14KB, 220x220px
i'm guilty of this, kind of.

i try to dip my toes into whatever series it is first just so i can truthfully say i have played/watched/read whatever it is.

but sometimes i love the character design and backstory, but have no interest in the rest of the series as a whole.

especially fighting games. some of the designs are rad, but i fucking hate playing those things. so i might play 1 round at a friend's house and fail miserably, then do the rest of my research on the character online.

i can see why this would annoy some people, because wearing a cosplay for a series is kind of like saying "HEY I LIKE THIS THING A LOT, COME TALK TO ME ABOUT IT"

but oh well
>>
>>8861187
All the stuff I used to watch doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'm in therapy trying to figure it out ok?
>>
>>8861127
I mean I kind of wanted to do miss monarch but I can barely watch the show and I missed season 5, and trying to catch up on it is exhausting.
>>
File: 1360033292548.jpg (203KB, 960x953px) Image search: [Google]
1360033292548.jpg
203KB, 960x953px
>>8861054
That's not really the same thing though
If someone wants to tweak something in a costume to make it more visually appealing to them personally, be it more cleavage or anything, sure, go ahead
Jnig does it for the likes and for the money, and thanks to her and other people like her, showing tits is like to only way to get "famous" as a cosplayer.
Tons of skilled cosplayers gets less recognition, because of someone else who only does super slutty things
Again, I don't mind people doing it because they like it, but that's clearly not the cause with Jnig
Also I don't just dislike that part of her, but more everything about her
Like the fact that she is "friends" with people who are good at making cosplays to get them done for her, the fact that she lied about getting breast implants until she was confronted, when she said "I'm not just about boobs anymore guis" and then posted like 20 lingerie pics
>>
>>8861073
I saw someone a while back who said they were gonna cosplay "Agitha from Hyrule Warriors"
I'm still very rustled about it
>>
I'm too insecure to cosplay on my own so I drag my best friend into it regardless if she's played or watched the series. We both enjoy crafting cosplays so we have fun doing it.
If the series/let play is dubbed we listen to it as we work.
>>
>>8861179
Pretty much this.

It also sucks when all the series you love, you don't have the figure to cosplay it so you don't. I admire the shitty cosplays because they have so much fun in reveling vs looking hot for attention's sake or empty ego boosting.
>>
>>8861259
What I mean to say is, I don't respect the people cashing in on a character design because its popular.

If a person wants to cosplay because they like the character regardless of the series, or find the cosplay construction interesting, that's fine with me.
>>
Has anyone ever gone up to someone because they were cosplaying something you're a huge fan of and when you tried talking to them about the series they're from they started accusing you of quizzing them to test their "true fandom," but they actually didn't know anything about the series and were trying to get out of it?
>>
Oh a video viralized here in my country about this.

>girl dressed as Katarina from LoL
>interviewer from a local news station asks her who she is cosplaying
>she hesitates and say "uh... Katarina"
>interviewers asks where Katarina is from
>"League of Legédis"
>"what is that... an anime?"
>"yeah.. I don't know what it is... I suppose..."
>she gets merciless mocked online for months

If anyone can understand portuguese, I found an (badly) edited video from the interview that aired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUxqShzkhE
>>
>>8860662
I agree, and I have no shame about it. Yeah, it bothers me when people cosplay characters from something theyve never watched/played/read, but you know what? I'm not going to be an autistic manchild and go up and try to quiz them on their knowledge and then call them a poser or a fake nerd or whatever. Yeah, it bothers me, but I'm not going to pester someone and ruin someone's day at a con, where we're all coming just to have a good time, just because I want to put myself on a pedestal because I'm a 'real fan'.

Grow the fuck up.
>>
I don't understand why you'd want to cosplay a character you know nothing about. Like... what are you going to do when someone tries to talk to you about the series because it'd normally be a shared interest?
With this being said, I completely understand wanting to cosplay a character if you haven't finished a series but like them from the start.
>>
I get wanting to cosplay characters from series you've never watched/played/whatever because you really like their design. I would like to cosplay Sheik, and I've never played a single Zelda game.

HOWEVER. I've read up on Zelda. I know what happens in each game, I know who all the major characters are and how they interact, and I know the lore of the Zelda universe.

So, at the very least you should do some reading so that you know what you're talking about, to establish familiarity with your source material. And if you can't even be bothered to do that, then yeah, you're a poser and should just fuck off.
>>
I've been roped into doing cosplays before where I didn't know anything about the character or series but my gf at the time really wanted me to be matching with her. I wanted to make her happy but now I just regret it because now I hate those characters/cosplays and got rid of them all. lol imagine all the time I could've spent making cosplays I actually cared about. I understand people who cosplay for their friends or person they're dating but when you're just planning a solo cosplay and choose to be a character you don't know anything about I really don't understand your motivations.
>>
I must be the only person on CGL who gives no fucks about this topic.

Like, who cares?
>>
>>8861411
a lot of people actually, did you read the thread?
>>
>>8861411
did you read thread before claiming to have such a special opinion
>>
>>8861074
I personally don't main cammy and i'm not good at the game, but I play and I'm in love with her new alternate costume

How bad is that?
>>
File: 1452440175768.png (3MB, 9936x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1452440175768.png
3MB, 9936x10000px
Before meeting a lot of clueless people who cosplay things they do not know or from series they never actually enjoyed or supported in any way I didnt even know people would do it because I just thought it was plain retarded and unethical.
>>
>>8861251
There was once an anon in the help thread who said they were cosplaying "Tingle from Ocarina of Time"
>>
File: 1448755535494.png (13KB, 131x178px) Image search: [Google]
1448755535494.png
13KB, 131x178px
I'm scared to cosplay anything at a con because I have actual memory problems I can hardly remember references even from the shit I love. I'm scared that I'm going to be having a great time in my dream cosplay and then someone's going to come up to me and ask me questions, my brain is going to break, and they're going to make me feel like even more shit than I already do for not remember stuff about a series I love.
>>
>>8860662
>what are most undertale cosplayers
>>
i think it's ok to not play the game\watch the show before cosplaying, and iv'e done that a couple of time when i really liked the design
HOWEVER at least research about the character a little or about their origin! learn who she is and where she's from. have some knowledge. i find that it really helps me also to pose like the character.
i don't care much for Anime and don't watch it, but have cosplayed with friends a few times when asked to, so i didn't watch it but i learned a little about the character, the story of the show and her relationship with the other characters
>>
File: 1419635682324.jpg (11KB, 167x200px) Image search: [Google]
1419635682324.jpg
11KB, 167x200px
>>8861449
jimmies are 100% rustled
>>
>>8861449
Someone on my fb referred to Skull Kid as Majora when asking for fabric suggestions. Maybe I'm just nit-picky, but it bugged the shit out of me.
>>
>>8861861
the likelihood of this happening is really low. complaining about these situations is more a meme than a reasonable concern.
>>
>this many people who don't bother to watch or play the the series or game that the character is from
holy SHIT are you serious? what if it turns out you hate the character or the game actually sucks?
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 750x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 750x332px
>>8862434
Me too.
>>
>>8861355
Why don't you play the game lol? OoT is widely considered one of the best games of all time. You'd really enjoy it.
>>
>>8862717
It's also kinda stupid because they'd probably become fans of what they're cosplaying from if they watched/played it, but for some reason they'd rather read a dozen wiki articles. Like which is the more fun option?

I guess I can understand not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on a game console for one character, but with all the let's plays available for free on YouTube, idk why you'd choose reading dull ass Wikipedia articles over that.
>>
>>8862756
for the same reason I read the wikipedia summary of Citizen Kane: it's so dated it's not actually good. It's merely that, at it's time, it was a landmark in entertainment and became highly influential. Problem is, it became so influential I've already enjoyed all the benefits from it and don't actually need to see the source material.
>>
>>8862784
Yeah, try saying this at a Zelda meetup and you'll be instantly shunned. Cosplay Shiek if you want but stay out of our circle please, good Lord.

Also, there's no way you'd know if it's good or not when you haven't played it. What kind of dumbass logic is that?
>>
>>8862792
I've already experienced the socio-cultural influence of it, but I can see you're not interesting in talking about that.
Good day.
>>
>>8862795
>neo-gulls
fuck off cunt
>>
>>8861355
And you're not a poser? Lol
>I know the lore of the Zelda Universe
You actually don't know anything because all you did was look at the basic plot points on fucking Zeldapedia. There's much more to the games than that. I hope you're a well disguised troll because you certainly are retarded.
>>
>>8862795
You haven't experienced anything. Don't kid yourself.
>>
>>8862784
The game came out less than 20 years ago and you're comparing it to a movie from the 40's? What
>>
>>8862784
You do realize they're still making games right? And they're still incredibly fun, you can literally get them for gameboy and wii u. I mean to each their own but I personally don't understand wanting to cosplay it if you've never touched it. I even bust out my game cube every now and then because it's still fun. Just because it doesn't have mind blowing graphics doesn't mean it's not enjoyable or that it's "outdated." If you don't want to play them that's fine but I just think your argument here was a bit weak.
>>
>>8862653
Well, from a technical standpoint, the "Skull Kid" WAS Majora for the majority of the game, in that the mask refers to him as "a puppet" and discards him immediately when he becomes a liability.
>>
>>8861209

I think people get a pass cosplaying fighting game characters without actually playing the game.

Most fighters don't have a super in-depth stories and I don't blame anyone that can't get into them. It takes a lot of time and dedication to fundamentally understand fighter mechanics and be competitive.
>>
Honestly, cosplay what you want, just be upfront that you don't know source material and don't act like reading a wikia makes up for that. Know that some people will dislike they fact that you don't know source, and just move on.

If you really are cosplaying because you like the design/progress then the above shouldn't bother you. Like stop trying to defend yourself? Just do it... its your money...
>>
I love dressing up, feeling pretty, gettin a lil ego boost, but half the fun of cosplay is when people bring up the anime or game you're dressed up as and you have a lil chit chat about it. Everyone talking about an anime or game they loved maybe dorking out a little bit while representing that thing you love or enjoyed. That's the fun of cosplay to me atleast
>>
>>8861247
Ok.
>>
>>8861093
Who does a man fall in love with someone who has zero interest in anything?

Okay. Why would you ever want to cosplay if you have zero interest in anything?
>>
I'm at odds with myself.

I don't want to care what others are cosplaying but then you run into idiot bitches like the Sheik-anon in this thread and I would HATE to be that sort of person to a fan of another series.
>>
>>8865089
>I don't want to care what others are cosplaying
why not?
>>
>>8865093
I don't want to waste my energy being a judgmental asshole anymore and, hey, I can see the appeal of cosplaying a cute design from some waifu visual novel or something with out having read the source material.
But when I think about how furious I get thinking about people cosplaying from something I love and not caring about it at all it just makes me question my stance.
>>
>>8861440
as long as you know about the game and the basics of sf, i think you're ok.
is the alt that you like her sfv pre-order one? i don't main cammy either (i main sagat) but i really want to cosplay the sfv pre-order alt.
plus it's kinda hard for a 5'2" girl to cosplay sagat who's legit over 7'.
>>
>>8865097
probably because waifu VNs are more obscure -- at least in your mind -- than whatever it is you like. No doubt connoisseurs of waifu VNs hate those cosplayers.
It's a matter of perception more than anything else. Stand-outs like the sheik-anon are like bumping into someone who mixes up well-known presidents or other common knowledge. Smash is not obscure; LoZ is not obscure; it should be common knowledge. It's a faulty character rather than faulty cosplay.
This is less an indictment of you and more an encouragement to keep even standards that acknowledges the limitations of perspective. Some people I know have put something together they didn't personally care about because friends needed them for a group. Whatever.
>>
I'm guilty of planning a cosplay before I ever got around to the game and then ended up playing it before I wore it but not finishing it.
>>
>>8861032
Are you me, anon.
I've never understood the huge commotion around this subject. Unless you choose the flavor of the month skimpy character and do absolutely no research on the character then I have no problem.
>>
>>8865381
Doing research doesn't make up for anything.
>>
I honestly don't get why people do this.
The whole point of cosplay is to show your love and appreciation towards a character and a series. If you're cosplay a character strictly for their looks then imo you're no different than a picture of a girl putting a game controller in their mouth.

People get annoyed by this because when they see someone cosplaying a character they automatically think "wow they're a really big fan of this thing I like, let me talk to them". Frankly no amount of "research" you do on a character is going to save you from people trying to ask or talk to you about your thoughts on [scene from show] or [level from game].
Once you stumble and say "oh I haven't actually seen/played it..." you're not only going to disappoint the person you're talking to but you're going to look like a massive tool.
>>
>>8865847
but isn't reading/playing/watching the source material the same as research?
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but a line between what is and what is not appropriate research needs to be specified.
>>
>>8865858
By research I assume people mean reading wikis or watching other people play the game. I think even playing a game just so you can cosplay something from it is a disappointment because you still don't cosplay some thing because you like the game or character in it so much.
>>
>>8865858
Pretty much along the lines of looking up the character designs and scouring the wiki page. Maaaaybe looking up a few clips on youtube. That seems to be the extend to most "research" people are willing to do for a character.
>>
File: 015.jpg (274KB, 870x1236px) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
274KB, 870x1236px
>>8865873
There is surprisingly an entire manga series about this. Though it's not about cosplay.
It's about a girl who used to be really popular middle school enters high school with zero friends, so she ends up befriending an otaku girl. She's so desperate to have any form of friendship that she'll watch an entire series and do "research" just so she can have conversations about things she doesn't even like or care about with a girl whose hobbies she has no interests in and completely hates.
>>
>>8865858
A wikia doesn't cover everything. Reading an entire wikia will not make you an expert on a series. Stop acting as if it's an equivalent of some kind.

You have to experience these things for yourself rather than reading short summaries and bios to know anything. Like other anons have said, you may end up despising a character who seemed okay to you based on what you read online. Believe it or not, that happened to me.
>>
>>8865847
My favourite game series has 24 games (I think?) in total and I haven't played every single one of those, but I still cosplay from the games I have played. I'm scared of meeting someone like you at a convention and being questioned about something in one of the few games I haven't played.
>>
>>8866200
I don't think many people will care if you haven't played every single game. Just don't lie and try to act like you have played them all when you haven't. I've witnessed people do that and it's cringey as fuck.
>>
>>8866237
Yeah that's obvious, but I'm pretty sure there's some autists out there who will accuse me of being a fake fan because I don't know every single game by heart.
>>
>>8866286
>listening to autists
kill yourself
>>
>>8862797
>neo
Plz no
>>
Let's solve this.
http://strawpoll.me/6829104
>>
>>8866293
yeah you're right who am I kidding I don't have to care about what autist manchildren think

I mean I've been told my tits are too small for a cosplay I've planned (the character is canonically flat-chested anyway, it's just the fanart making her look like a tittymonster) by this type of person and now I want to cosplay her even more
>>
>>8866362
who's the character?
>>
>>8866132
>>8866132
This. I know this girl who keeps choosing characters from series that she never played/watched/read before. When I told her it's better for her to do so, she got so offended & told me that her huge efforts on reading wikia is not to be ignored. She actually thinks that reading wikia is equivalent to the actual experience of going through the series & demand her 'huge efforts' to be seen as equal. It's never ever going to be the same.
>>
>>8865891
sauce?
>>
Cosplay sure has changed huh.
It used to be about showing love to the series you liked.
But now it's just some big race for every teenage with a facebook to see how many likes they can get in hopes to become famous.
>>
>>8866200
>>8866286
No one it's going to care if you're dressing up as a character from a series that you've played, because you've played it and they probably won't bring up the other games or care you haven't played them.
What they will care about is if they ask you about that game or the series and you don't even know what game you're character is from, that's even they'll get upset.
>>
>>8866497
I don't understand this logic. Of someone is gonna spend hours on a wikia page for a character, they could easily use that time to just go to the source material.
>>
>>8866348
>Only 17 votes
So far people are considered total posers for not playing/watching/reading the source.
>>
>>8866849
52 posters in this thread so 33% response rate
that's actually a huge response rate for a poll
>>
>>8862985
I dragged myself through FE Awakening (on a pirated copy even) just so I can main Robin without feeling guilty. And there's people who would cosplay Robin, spending all that time and money on making and/or buying the costume, without playing Smash nor Awakening. Sometimes feel envy for their carefree attitude.
>>
Is it really that wrong to make a costume that I enjoy the design of if I don't know the source material well? I don't want fame or attention, I just enjoy sewing and think that some costumes are neat. To me cosplay is more about costume making than dressing up from something I know well, is that really a bad thing?

And I know I could do something else like make my own designs or do historical recreations, but I like the challenge of making a design perfect to what I see. If I'm willing to put in a ton of hours painstakingly making something, why does my knowledge about the thing matter? It's not like historical recreation where you need to know materials and methods used at the time, it's a fantasy costume based on some drawings someone did.
>>
>>8867016
>put all that time and effort in
>don't care about the character
eh
it's a tad soulless. Have you considered selling costumes?
>>
>>8867025
How is it soulless? It's clothing. I'm putting a bunch of fabric together to drape over my body because I like how it looks. Yes that design came from a character but how much does that really matter?

Should an artist also only draw things that they know every single detail about? Are they never allowed to make a sketch of something just for fun, without knowing exactly how the thing they're drawing works? Because sewing is just another kind of art, and so I feel like it works the same way.
>>
>>8867016
If you can spend all those hours making it you can at least spend 30 minutes watching/reading/playing it.
>>
>>8867034
But that clearly isn't sufficient. It seems like the general consensus is you must have finished the series (or gotten pretty far into it) and that usually takes at least 3-4 hours, and with some stuff can take upwards of a hundred because of how long the series is or how much there is to it.

My hobby is sewing and making costumes. There are series from all kinds of media that I enjoy but aside from video games, watching and reading stuff is not really a hobby of mine.
>>
>>8867038
Cool then you can stick to the various amounts of vidya you do enjoy you souless sewing creature.
>>
>>8867060
Why do you think you need to resort to insulting me? Can you actually explain what's wrong with not devoting 6-12 hours minimum of my time to something just because I like one fucking costume from it and want to make it?
>>
>>8867033
I hate to pick your argument apart instead of responding to it directly, but I don't have a response to seemingly contradictory statements.
>it's clothing. I'm putting a bunch of fabric together to drape over my body because I like how it looks
this doesn't align with my understanding of sculpting, where the sculptor is seeking to capture some moment of being that exemplifies a human characteristic. It's an argument for costume-making as a material skill. I use sculpting as an example because it certainly is art, while costume-making may be more abstract.
>should an artist [...] sewing is just another kind of art
it's not a mere skill now but art? That reverses the previous statement arguing there is nothing beyond doing something for looks.
if we're going to assign terms to things, costume-making is the material skill, while costume design would be the art. If the goal is to determine how a character's design works and reconstruct it physically, this aligns with costume-making rather than art.
Cosplaying seems less art based on the material skill, because it's the mechanical skill of transferring usually 2D designs into 3D. If that design exists already, then no design is taking place. If cosplay is art, it takes its queues from theatre, where the cosplayers exist as actors to observers. I'm basing this on Bruce Wilshire's thinking. If you take a cosplayer out of a con, how can it claim the title of art? There's the material skill of the costume, but doesn't art require the creation or recognition of something new? Wouldn't that something new be the cosplayer herself and what she chooses to do?

I'm not trying to diss you, the argument just doesn't make sense to me, so I'm picking it apart for clarification. I suggested selling dresses because your goal seems the material craft rather than the act of wearing the costumes. Correct me if you think I've gone astray anywhere, or if there's terms I've used you disagree with. I'm interested in discussing this.
>>
>>8867071
Why don't you show us some of your work?
>>
>>8867077
You're putting way more thought into this than I am, though. Like I'm just genuinely curious why so many people feel the need to get this mad over what someone else does with their time, and what the logic behind it even is. I've still yet to hear one logical reason why making a cosplay of something you don't know much about is a bad thing.

To me cosplay is like art because you're doing something artistic. Sewing is an art form to me and you have to sew to make a cosplay. Ergo cosplay = art. It's as simple as that.

>>8867080
Oh so you don't have a reason why this is bad and are resorting to logical fallacies instead of actually trying to answer any questions as to why this is apparently the new fucking cardinal sin.
>>
>>8867033
Actually when it comes to drawing it's sometimes obvious when the artist has no connection to what they're drawing. The more interesting pieces usually have some kind of depth and understanding to them.
This is similar to writing an essay about a topic you know nothing about vs writing something you're passionate about.

Also a story
>dressed as OP character that appears right before/during timeskip
>Find like 3 people dressed as post time-skip strawhat crew
>Go up to them really excited
>They look at me weird/confused
>Find out they were still at the beginning of the anime
>feel awkward

At least they were watching it though
>>
Well it's a sin usually because the person who doesn't know the source can make mistakes within the costume.
When it comes to a con it's also extremely awkward to be false advertising as being a fan.

Although you state your not a fan of certain media so is it safe to assume you go only to specific cons.
Or maybe you don't go to cons at all?

>>8867089
Well if you can show us some of your work we can point out the difference between an actual fan or just a person who likes sewing. Maybe your right. Maybe you produce something great. Maybe you are just one of those "let's do what will get me the most attention"
Proof is in the pics.
>>
>>8867099
But not every drawing has to be a masterpiece. I've already said that I do this for fun and not for anyone else's attention. I'm not getting paid. But even people like that seem to be horribly offensive to you guys. I just don't get what the big deal is.

If someone likes to put time and effort into doing something fun for their own gain then why the fuck does it matter what else they do with their time?

>>8867104
I'm not claiming to be great. I don't need to post a picture for you because I don't do this shit for attention and validation. I don't care if you'd think my work is good or not I just want to know why it's a big deal to the point where you guys justify harassing another person over not watching a fucking show that you made a costume from.

I don't go to conventions because it is a personal hobby and I'm not a big fan of the atmosphere of them anyway. I sew for myself and myself only. I'm trying to figure out why you guys make such a big deal out of this shit.
>>
>>8867077
I've botched a statement or two.
>costume design would be the art
the material art, as opposed to the the act of wearing the costume and 'performing' as art. I use the terms loosely, because although they do technically match the written definitions, it's still very much debatable if this counts.

>>8867089
I'd call it less "mad" and more puzzled/bemused/etc., as to why someone would dress as a character they know very little about. Naturally, emotions get heightened on the internet.
There's a divide between making the costume and going to a con in the costume is what I'm seeing. It's reminding me of the photog/cosplayer divide where one attends purely as an observer; the other as an actor of sorts. The theatre metaphor actually works well here, in that it would be like one of the costume designers going up on stage, in-costume, during the performance. The audience will assume they're an actor, except they're not part of the same act and don't have any lines. Then when the act finishes and the stage clears, the costume-designer stands on stage and applauds. Where in theatre this might be assumed to be part of the act, in a con that barrier between actor and spectator doesn't exist. Imagine if you could ask the costume designer mid-performance which character she is, and she tells you she's just a costume designer. The illusion that she's part of the performance is gone and the observer is left wondering what she's even doing on stage.
Problem is, no one is going to sit and wonder if the person who barely knows about their character is a costume designer or an attention whore. The latter lives up to the name and is the immediate assumption. That's human nature for you.

I've heard it described that the cosplayer and the photog work together for the performance. The cosplayer does all the prep, the photog does the after effects and production. Or, the costume-maker does the prep, the cosplayer does the performance, and the photog does the producing.
1/2
>>
>>8867109
2/2
if the con is the stage, then no one wants to recognize the causes that allow it to exist. If you've ever seen that documentary on Woodstock, it's the same deal. No one thinks about the effort to get food, electricity, portapots, etc. all set up before the concert. Everyone just wants to see the bands. The moment they stop seeing the bands, in comes the complaining.
>>
>>8867109
>I'd call it less "mad" and more puzzled/bemused/etc., as to why someone would dress as a character they know very little about.
Sounds like you're not ready to hear about a little holiday called Halloween where literally millions of people dress up, gasp, for fun, usually as characters they don't know all that much about.

As for the rest of your points, so what? Why is it your business what people think of someone who isn't you? Are you so snooty about your hobby that you're one of those people who assumes everyone who isn't 100% serious about it is somehow "ruining" the hobby? Because I guarantee people like that are ruining it more than the people who are just having fun and not taking it with the utmost seriousness.

It's cosplay. It's silly by nature. You're literally dressing up as (usually) a cartoon character and prancing around in an enclosed space where hundreds of other people are doing the same. You're treating this like you're Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel but it simply is not that serious.
>>
>>8867107
If you don't go to conventions then you can't really understand the problem and reaction.

I feel kinda sad for you. You only dress up at home? Why create cool things and not share it with others?
>>
>>8867124
Because I don't need attention. I share pictures with my friends and family on social media because I know them and they might be interested in what I do but aside from that I don't need any more validation. I make costumes because I love sewing, I share them with the people I care about and that's enough for me. It's honestly just sad that doing this, as well as making stuff just for fun, is some kind of alien concept to you guys. One that you feel the need to get so angry about that you harass other people.

Most peoples' hobbies don't have some kind of broader social scope like this. You may be involved in a small community or share your hobby with the people you like but it's not like you need to seek fame and attention in order to do something that you like.

Sewing is fun. It's calming. I enjoy taking time to mercilessly detail a complicated costume, and admiring how it looks when it's done. I do more cosplays from things I know than things I don't but it's still fun to make the occasional design just because I like the looks of it.
>>
>>8867122
Well Halloween has been butchered. Each person has an objective when wearing a costume on Halloween. Kids their objective is to get candy.
Adults objective is too get some ass or win a contest.
Cosplayers at cons wear cosplay to show their love for the media, to find people of similar interests, or to get ass.
What is the reason for creating a costume just because?
>>
>>8867138
Have you ever heard of "fun"?

It's a really cool thing and having some of it makes your life a lot better.
>>
>>8867140
but what's the point of pursuing fun it emotions are infinite?
by our individual perceptions, life lasts forever, unless we are away of the moment of our deaths. Therefore, life can be converted into a string of numbers, 0-9, repeating infinitely. If 7 represents happiness, then 7 will appear infinite times and life has infinite happiness.

Where's your motivation?
>>
>>8867141
I don't know how to respond to this. I really don't.
Are you okay anon?
>>
>>8867141
? I'm not sure I understand what you're even asking. I don't know how to answer this weird, nihilistic string of words because it's just so baffling to me.

According to this, why even do anything? Why are you typing on this computer, sitting up, voluntarily doing anything at all? If life is really this meaningless then why don't you just sit in bed all day and do nothing? Because it surely seems like that's the only valid thing to do in your eyes.

I don't know who hurt you but I really hope you feel better because reading this is just... awfully sad.
>>
>>8867107
Not saying your sewing has to be some crazy heartfelt masterpiece, and I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but I just feel like understanding very basic things about whatever it is you're cosplaying could potentially help you with figuring out how something should look or function?
What if you somehow end up dressing up as something you would never want to associate yourself with?
Of course you're free to do what you want with your time but yeah
>>
>>8867146
It's not like I blindly jump into a costume and just start sewing the moment I see a picture that I like. I make sure to look up at least a little bit of information about the character to make sure it's nothing gross or creepy. This again is just if I'm cosplaying from something I don't know much about which, again, is not the only thing I do.

I just don't see why you guys are getting so mad over a person spending their time doing something that pleases them, just because they may not know everything about what they're doing.

It's such a weird mindset and I have never seen anything like this in other hobbies, unless it is over something that could potentially be dangerous if done without proper knowledge. But there's nothing dangerous about making a costume if you don't have the source material memorized.
>>
>>8867155
It's a unique hobby. Beside that, we get mad when the person is cosplaying from an unknown source for LOLLOOKATMEIMSOCOOL reason. Generally because those people are annoying human beings. We also get annoyed at people at cons because we made the costume to talk to others about the series and to create bonds. If you falsely advertise your interest for that media it's a tad annoying/ creates the awkward stories often posted on here.

For those that create the costume because they like sewing it can be hard for fans to understand.

I start a costume because my love for the media is so strong that I would do anything to recreate it. I also do it so I can find people with the similar interests.

What motivates a person who likes sewing? What gets you to spend all that money and time on a cosplay?
>>
>>8867189
Because it is fun to me to recreate a costume in a lot of detail. I have said it before but I enjoy the activity of sewing. Shopping for materials, drafting a pattern, and sitting down at my machine to work on it are things I like to do. So are other aspects like making props and cutting wigs. I enjoy working with my hands and that's the enjoyment I get out of it. I also like to admire the finished project. It looks good to me and is fun to wear. Making a good cosplay fills me with a sense of accomplishment, and making one that's not so good motivates me to do better. This is the mindset of a lot of hobbyists who do other things such as woodworking, drawing, etc.

Is all of that not a normal part of enjoying cosplay? I'm aware that I don't like the social factor much but I was always under the impression that the social factor was just one of the parts that people enjoyed. I'm not sure which of us is wrong about that but I'm really not sure how you aren't seeing what kind of enjoyment I get out of this.

Participating in a hobby sometimes has no gain other than personal fulfillment. That's just how hobbies work. I don't intend to do this at any level past being a hobbyist. Why is that so hard to understand?
>>
>Are you a poser if you don't play/watch/read the source before cosplaying?

Yes won. We can now avoid these shitty threads/arguments since the majority agrees.
>>
>>8866132
>A wikia doesn't cover everything. Reading an entire wikia will not make you an expert on a series. Stop acting as if it's an equivalent of some kind.

I never played Phoenix Wright but if I made the blue suit and took a picture of me doing his point you would not be able to tell the difference between my photo next to someone else who played the game in and out.
>>
>>8867216
>cons are defined by pictures and not experiences
are you a cam whore?
>>
>>8866132
Funny you mention that, I cosplayed as a character from a tales game because she looked cute (Rita from Vesperia). I proceed to play the game before Anime Expo and I hate her guts and I wish I cosplayed as Judith instead.

So I ended up not wearing that cosplay because I hated that character. What a waste of 3 months of work.
>>
>>8867207
If I've read everything correctly, you have admitted you don't like cosplay at all several times. You like costumes, and making them.

The question you haven't answered is, why are YOU wearing the costumes you make? Is dressing up as a character you don't know also fun? Could you explain that?

Yes, we heard you the first time. "Sewing is fun, do you hate fun!?" Congrats, you like to make the costumes. Is it also fun for you to wear them? And could you explain why? And specifically why you derive fun wearing them at cons for fans of the source media? Couldn't you find a tailoring or fashion convention instead of disappointing fans with your distinct lack of interest in fan-based social interaction?

If you just enjoy making the costume, why do you feel the need to then wear it SPECIFICALLY to cons where strangers will inevitably ask if you've seen the show/played the game? Do you also derive fun by feeling some personal sense of superiority when you get to say "no, I just like the costume, this is fun, do you hate FUN!?"

Because that's what it sounds like.
>>
>>8867331
Isn't it obvious anon, they're doing it for the attention. What they really want deep inside is to get recognition and praise from the other cosplays at whatever com they're going to. They want people to tell them how good they look and marvel at the craftsmanship of thier costume and to make the others jealous.
Saying "i like sewimg" is just a coverup lie they tell themselves to try and deny themselves their true feelings.
>>
>>8865382
Make up for what? Why does it upset people personally? Really, who does it hurt if I only watch one episode of a series and then cosplay a character because I like their look and outfit? There is absolutely no harm done to anyone.
>>
>>8861064
>The reaction image was really speaking to her even though the game is horrible
excuse you? katawa shoujo is actually a really well made VN.
YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOURE COSPLAYING REEEEE
>>
>>8867712
>Why does it upset people personally?

see>>8865847
>>
>>8867331
>you have admitted you don't like cosplay at all several times.
But I never said that. I do not like the atmosphere of conventions but I still enjoy dressing up in the costumes.

I've said time and time again that I do more cosplays of characters that I like and know about than I do of characters I don't know, but continue ignoring that because it makes it easier to get angry at me over the internet.

If a person seriously cannot handle someone having the exact amount of knowledge that they do about a series, then that is their problem not mine. IF I even go to a con (which these days is pretty unlikely) I'd probably be wearing stuff from series that I know about anyway. That doesn't stop me, however, from making something for fun strictly because I like how it looks.

You clearly haven't been reading what I've been saying and you're making up things in order to get mad at me. I can't help you there. If that's what makes you feel better about yourself then I guess that's just how it is.

>>8867565
Already said I don't go to cons much and usually only share my work with friends and family. I have friends who cosplay and they have never been bothered if I make something from a series I don't know much about, I'm just wondering why the attitude on here is so much different. I use lots of platforms to look at and talk about cosplays and you guys are the only ones who get so frothing mad over someone not knowing a lot about the source material of their cosplay.

I feel bad for you guys, who feel the need to put words into my mouth and make up lies about me in order to validate whatever aspect about yourself you're clearly insecure about. I don't do this for attention, or fame, I do it because it's fun. That's the main purpose of a hobby and I'm sorry that you all have lost track of that.
>>
Kinda related to the thread but yeah, will like to ask you guys about this.

The character I planned to cosplay originated from a game that I played when I was a kid (replaying it now to enjoy the nice moments haha) But I prefer her personality in the manga series that is based on the game (as the game does not have a clear personality), so I'm going for the manga portrayal. Said game recently has a remake, however I did not manage to play it as I don't have the console. I watched the playthroughs to see the differences from the original game & all.

The outfit that I am doing is based from the original game not the remake version. I don't mind being upfront on the fact that I did not play the remake. Am I being like a poser for doing so?
>>
>>8868110
No
>>
>>8866780
this

How cosplayers interact with people at cons has changed too - when I cosplayed back in 2003 it was a way to start a conversation and (it seemed) that more people were genuinely there to share their fandom.
>>
>>8866780
>>8865847
>>8867138

^ Agreed.

Basically it's just superficial (kinda deceptive as well) when cosplaying a character from a series you don't even care about. When all you do care about is how one character is dressed, how pretty/impressive you'll look in their outfit and how much attention you'll get. It leaves people a bad taste in their mouth since cons are suppose to be places to immerse yourself in what you love. Yet you're just using the environment for your own personal, ego-boosting, "souless" gains.

Honestly, i'm even against people cosplaying after 'researching' up on a series instead of enjoying the series...
>>
i often cosplay characters i don't really like but i like costume design
why do all the shittiest anime have like the greatest costumes?
>>
File: 1425668757273.jpg (11KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
1425668757273.jpg
11KB, 355x355px
>>8865847
>The whole point of cosplay is to show your love and appreciation towards a character and a series.
NO. Cosplay is a hobby, and like every hobby, everyone has their own reason for liking the hobby
Maybe most people do it to show their appreciation for something, but some people enjoy different aspects
Some people like to dress up as someone who they think look cool so they can feel cool.
Some people like to make challenging, detailed costumes, and the things they like maybe don't have something like that that they can make
Have you never experienced seeing a character that you fall in love with and want to cosplay, but you when you try the game or watch the anime or whatever, it just doesn't appeal to you?
I can especially understand with games, because maybe you don't want to buy like a WiiU and that particular game just because you want to cosplay a character from the game

Again, everyone cosplays for different reasons, as long as you aren't a cunt about it I see no problem with it
>>
>>8868217
nah man nah. if you're cosplaying just because the design looked cute/cool/pretty/interesting you're gonna have a bad time. yes, everyone cosplays for different reasons of course, but cosplaying as a character solely due to design makes you look really really weird. and in some ways it should. with the multitude of media out there it's pretty much impossible to not find something you like and like the look of. plus, a lot of people don't look into source material very well and end up in awkward situations.

>have weeby friend who loved kawaii uguu shit
>said friend sees vid related OP for makai tenshi djibril (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGWD-Ef8T4)
>thinks the pink haired MC is oh so super kawaii
>decides to cosplay her for next con
>doesn't tell me until cosplay is already made
>break the news that the character is from a pretty graphic porn game
>she gets into an argument with me so i drop it
>con rolls around and the entire weekend hear how upset she was that a shit ton of creepy neckbeards kept asking her if she played the game/enjoys the game
>she has since researched it more and admits i was right, but she didn't want to waste all that progress
>is embarrassed as fuck pretty much the entire weekend

i'm not saying everyone does this, but many people do.
>>
>>8868249

>with the multitude of media out there it's pretty much impossible to not find something you like and like the look of.

So much fucking this! Kind of a reason I've never understood recommendation threads. It's like, if you watch anime, play vidya, read comics, etc you are bound to find something you want to make and cosplay. I usually see people pop into those threads to find whatever flavor of the month thing is trending so they can ensure attention. And cosplaying period is generally done for attention, I get that, but you're so desperate for asspats you dress up as something random you have no real interest in other than, "that looks flashy, I'll definitely get photos with that".

I'm also not really buying the "I liked the design, it really spoke to me" argument. Is it also just coincidence the design you picked was from something incredibly popular and well known? Why don't I see more people picking intricate designs from lesser known things? There's so much out there to pull from, yet here we have all these vocaloid cosplayers who say they can't stand the music and think it's stupid parading around in the top pv costumes. The only exception to this might be a visual novel/eroge costume, because honestly if you can't read Japanese/there's no patch for the game you're shit out of luck with reading up on it in depth. Same with maybe joining a friend's group who wants you along for a certain character, nothing wrong there.

If you like sewing or crafting intricate things why not just go to a ren fair or larp or something? Or create your own complex designs? Why is it absolutely necessary you go as a character from something you give zero shits about?
>>
>>8868265
>Why don't I see more people picking intricate designs from lesser known things?

>>8865847 here. I'm actually playing a 2b cosplay from the new Nier game that's coming out whenever. The game isn't out yet, hell we don't even have a release window,all there is are screenshots, a few trailers, and interview scans. I love the way the character looks and I can't wait to walk around in it. I know it seems contradictory to my other post. But unlike the other people arguing in favor designs here I can proudly say that if someone were to talk or ask me about it I would GLADLY talk their ear off about how much I love Drakengard and how big of a boner I have for Yoko Taro and how ecstatic I am for the game to come out.

I always give leeway to more niche series because I know that if I see someone cosplaying from them I know I'll be able to have a full on conversation with them about that series. Seeing as we'd be the few out of an entire convention who actually like such an obscure thing.
>>
>>8866525
Don't become an otaku Shinozaki

Sorry for the late reply.
>>
>>8868249
At the height of DMMD's popularity I always wondered whether a lot of the younger teenagers cosplaying from it were actually aware it's a porn game.

Then I remember it's ~*~teh hot yaoiz~*~ and assume yeah, they probably know.
>>
>>8868528
I think that might only be half the case honestly.
Tumblr is what made it popular, and during that time when DMMD was starting to gain popularity the Danganronpa fad was starting to die out. And since Tumblr is full of edgy teenagers they needed something to fill in or expand that "2edgy anime characters dying" taste that DR first gave them.
>>
>>8860662
Can we change this thread to:
"People who cosplay characters in a fandom they pretend they are a part of"
Because if your just cosplaying and doing it for fun, that's cool.
But please don't be like Sheik-anon and suddenly think your part of the fandom or that people will applaud you for being "first!1!"

I know people who just cosplay because of what they "think" the character is like based on nothing but how the tumblr fandom portrays them. Shows up at the photoshoots pretending like they know everything about the fandom.
>>
>>8868515
that's different though, it's a series you enjoy and aren't you likely to play the game later? that's completely different than someone cosplaying the newest lol slut for attention and neckbeard praise that will only end in massive butthurt by all who encounter her.
>>
>>8861313
Oh that reminds me a viralized video in Spanish where a Harley Quinn said to the reporter "oh this is Batman's girlfriend"

Ok but, back to main topic, I mostly agree with the "getting into the source material, then cosplaying from it to show love for the series" kind of opinions, which is also better in practice because you enjoy more and put more effort in that character you like so much (or that may be just me, haha).
But then... I encountered Love Live. I never felt so conflicted in my life. I watched the anime and I play the game (which I enjoy it a lot, perhaps a tad too much), but I honestly hated so much the anime it kind of pains me (dropped it very fast). And I already came across other LL cosplayers telling me "if u just play the game and not watch the animu you're not a ~true fan~ and you're in because popularity" and ugh. I just want to cosplay my fave cards and do the cute weeb dances...

>tfw you can't tell if you are a poser or not and the line is impossible to draw
>>
>>8868618
uh...are they stupid? the anime came out after the game and pretty much the entire comm thinks it's shit. the game is the original material and in fact the opposite is true, people who only like the anime are shitty secondaries. this is like saying that people who hate the trash heap of the kancolle anime are secondaries if they just 'play the game' wtf.
>>
>>8868679
>the anime came out after the game
Umm, no. The game came out after the anime. Anime aired in January 2013 and the game didn't come out until like April or something

As for the topic at hand, I don't care what people cosplay but my personal rule is to cosplay characters I like because I want people to talk to me about the series. It's a little frustrating when people cosplay from a series, don't know much about it or have their own opinions, and only cosplay from the series because it's popular (I'm looking at you 80+% of FE:Fates cosplayers)
>>
>>8868618
personally I think playing the game is more "hardcore" if only because of the amount of time you dump into it. it's like a drug. gotta keep playing so my LP doesn't max out. need to do every event so I don't miss that SR. gotta save my loveca so I can roll for URs. maybe you even buy loveca because you need your fix. anime fans don't have to deal with that shit.
>>
>>8871335
As a fan of both the game and the anime I think what makes you into the franchise in general is more the time you put into it, if you only played the game for a few days versus playing multiple events.

Neither is more hardcore, be a fan of one or the other, or both and just admit to that. "Oh I only like the game." If you're just cosplaying it because of the outfits, as long as you're not lying about liking it you're not awful.

I am on the side of if you cosplay something with just research you are a poser but lots of gulls backed this sentiment in the poll which surprised and delighted me.
>>
>>8871463
I'm still alarmed by the amount that don't agree with that.
>>
>>8861073
She is in smash bros. What's the big deal, who gives a shit as long as it looks right.
>>
>>8868265
> I've never understood recommendation threads
I'm finishing a big group with intricate armor after having bought and played a game and loved it on a recommendation. What's the harm in having people suggest things they are passionate about and getting you into it as well?
>>
>>8871463
Yo watching an anime while sitting at your computer is definitely not as 'hardcore' as grinding to rank 300 and actually attempting to FC some of the flame songs. I've interrupted sleep to to rank for events before man.
>>
>>8871692
Anime-only fans don't even know the pain of people texting you or calling you in the middle of a song.
>>
>>8871722
Niether of those are as bad as low battery warnings, if I've played a song a few times before, I can get through a message notification popping up, I can't play by memory a redirection out of the game and into my power saving options menu.
>>
>>8868603
I think wikia "fans" should stay away from meets.

I'm not going to stop anyone from cosplaying something if all they know is a small summary of their character they looked up on the wiki.

But I sure as hell am going to ignore them if they try joining in a meet.
>>
>>8871791
Same anon, I Forgot to mention this applies to photoshoots as well. Stay the fuck away or get your own friends to take pics with you.
>>
>>8868265
I loke the reccomendationd thread because I am single minded cosplay wise and it helps me break that funk. I cosplay my hu subando and that is it, so if I can see people drop characters I know it helps me ho 'oh fuck I only wear three variations of the same cosplay to every con. I think a lot of people at just looking for aesthetics, but it is a helpful thread.
>>
>>8871613
>who thinks she's from smash bros
>from
>FROM

Being "in" something is very different than being "from" something.

Sonic is in Wrek it Ralph but he's not from Wrek it Ralph.
Spiderman is in the Avengers but he's not from the Avengers
Someone can be IN a place and not be FROM that place.
>>
File: 1419430462.jpg (61KB, 713x914px) Image search: [Google]
1419430462.jpg
61KB, 713x914px
This picture is very relevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>>8871791
I just... don't get why. As long as they're honest about not knowing much, what's the point of ignoring someone just because they don't know the source material as well as you?
>>
I won't quiz anyone on series facts or shit like but I find it pretty saddening that people are taking a hobby that revolves around being a fan and changing it into a selfish hobby for boosting egos and scamming neckbeards, who often are genuine fans despite their grossness. I find cosplaying and going conventions for things you don't care about kind of dumb actually. If you want to play dress up, you have halloween and you can throw your own costume parties where you don't even have to pay for a con ticket and pretend to like something you don't.

A lot of conventions nowadays are overcrowded because they are a "cool" thing and not everyone can get tickets, which is sad because cons were created to bring together people with similar hobbies to meet creators and buy merch, and now they are often flooded with people with daddy issues and want attention. People who are not genuine fans also don't tend buy merch meaning less revenue from industry and vendor businesses driving up entry ticket cost to support the now larger cons.

Also there is a really big difference between a fan who likes the artwork of a series, but hates the story verses someone who doesn't even know anything about the topic and only likes the artwork. If your not the latter, at least you can talk to other fans about what you didn't like in the series. People need to stop equating the two.
>>
>>8871463
And this is why I'm forcing myself to watch the anime. I'm hugely tempted to crossplay Nozomi but I refuse to do it unless I've watched the anime and subsequently gouge my eyes out. Funnily enough, I find the songs not bad when I used to play the rhythm game but now when I see the CG animation I just auto-skip.
>>
>>8872246
There's a difference between not knowing much because you may be new to a series and are actively getting into (or trying to) get into it, and dressing up as someone purely for looks.

You can have a conversation with someone new because theyll atleast know stuff and would actually care.
>>
>>8868618
I kind of have to agree with the LL cosplayers here. The game is fun and all but if you "just want to cosplay [your] fave cards and do the cute weeb dances" you just like the series because it's pretty and has pretty dances. Any series/game can do this. You're not in it because you love the characters or understand how much they struggle to get to LL and save their school. The game only supplements the show, I feel, and I'm sure most people who play the game don't even read the dialogue. Just my two cents as a fan since long before the game.
>>
>>8872769
the anime only came out a few months before the game. the manga is what's been out since 2012.
>>
>>8872787
Okay? That doesn't really change much about what I said; liking LL only because of the game is still really shallow.
>>
>>8872803
you're whole 'i've been a fan waaay before the game' seems really pretentious anon.
>>
>>8872246
They don't give a rats ass about the entire purpose of the gathering and would only be there to attention whore. Who would pay attention to them?
>>
Depending on the situation, it is okay to cosplay some games you haven't played, but under no circumstances should you cosplay from an anime you haven't seen. It is free and on the internet. You can literally watch it as you sew. Video games, somewhat acceptable; anime, unacceptable.
>>
>>8872811
just watch the damn anime its not hard
>>
>>8872906
Watching playthroughs for game is a good option too. If anything it's better than not even knowing how does the game interface looks like.

>casually watches playthrough for a game, ended up liking it
>really like one of the characters in the game
>now saving up cash & plan to get the console for the game
>why must I be so stubborn
>>
>>8860662

Some vintage salt: I remember thinking all Miku cosplayers were enormous posers back in the day (2009-ish, before many Vocaloid videos had been subtitled and permeated YouTube), because the character had no associated plot/backstory or personality traits and none of them had used the software.
>>
I cosplayed Katana from MK and I really love the fighting game aspect and played it a couple of times, but I never focused on the lore so I didn't know much about her except the most common known stuff. I did play the game though lol.
>>
I did Thraja to a convention once but I had only watched her romance route on youtube. I've never paid any Fire Emblem games
>>
>>8860662
women, cosplay, attention, sluts, etc
>>
>>8872961
Now this is attention whoring
>>
>>8872961
>>8872972
That's 95% of FE cosplay.
>>
>>8873000
breaks my heart cuz I grew up with these games, played 7 when I was 11 years old (wasn't good at it but loved it) and played all of them since.

I'm doing my first fire emblem cosplay over the summer, am actually curious to find out how many people haven't played the games that do the photo shoots and stuff.
>>
>>8872961
>Thraja

>>8873006
Same. I've been playing FE since Path of Radiance and it breaks my heart to see it become such a trendy attention-whore series.
>>
>>8873006
>am actually curious to find out how many people haven't played the games that do the photo shoots and stuff

OMFG stop quizzing me you shitlord!!!
>>
>Walk around city dressed like a cop
>"officer pleasw help, ivw been stabbed!"
>"Oh sorry, im not a cop i just like the outfit!"
>>
>>8873238
Not the same thing. Go back to being banned and stop making these bait threads. What is it, like, the 3rd week? Holy shit.
>>
>>8873006
Well I played awakening and am getting the SE edition of fates today so I'm no poser.
>>
>>8860662
Its kind of funny when people are cosplaying as characters from games/series/movies that arnt even out yet.
>>
The only thing that i hate about ppl cosplaying shit they dont know about. Is that you cant meet ppl with your same likes, because most of them think that you are another of those "rawr I'm a gamer gurl XD I'm cosplaying the robot metroid" and avoid you. I just want to make friends that like the same stuff I like.
>>
>>8873895
This so much. For me even if I see people cosplaying things I like I have this awkward moment of, what if they're not cosplaying it because they like it, just the costume? It's sad this is even an issue because cons way back that problem would be almost non existent.
>>
>>8873895
>>8874495
I know people do do that, but honestly I have never met anyone who did. And I have been cosplaying for well over a decade, you would think that by now I would have come across one, especially since they absolutely do exist, but I think it has been blown WAY out of proportion. Mostly by sad lonely nerds who can't get it through their thick skulls that women, even conventionally attractive ones, like and have always liked the same things they do.
>>
>>8868265
>Why is it absolutely necessary you go as a character from something you give zero shits about?

Because the thirst for attention must be quenched, anon.

I know people who cosplay characters they don't know and you're exactly right, they always just "happen" to be the most popular flavor of the month ones and/or the flashiest costumes. People look at these characters, don't give a shit about the source and just think "I would look so good in that costume and get so many facebook likes". That's honestly not cosplaying, it's just costuming. You're creating a costume of a character, not cosplaying the character.

I hate how this mindset is getting more and more popular and now that you try to talk to someone about the character they're cosplaying as, you risk making them all awkward because "Ummm I didn't really play/watch this, I just liked the design". Which is shit. It's just an insult to the hobby, if you like wearing pretty clothes start costuming instead of treating cosplay like it's a fashion style. And I see more people writing these catty posts about how "you don't really need to know the source because you know, ~cosplay is for everyone~". I feel as if it's harder and harder to make friends in this hobby because everyone is just so centered around looking good in pretty clothes instead of actually playing a homage to the character.
>>
>>8874509
It happens a lot in one of my fandoms cause it's mostly male, so every almost girl who cosplays it just wants attention.
>>
>>8876185
I am just imagining how awkward it would be if you went to talk to someone about the series or costume their dressed as but don't know you're dressed as something from the same series
>>
>>8877002
This has happened to me. I was cosplaying as one of the main characters too and so was that girl. She couldn't even remember my character's name. It was so awkward.
>>
File: 3590.jpg (31KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
3590.jpg
31KB, 500x357px
>>8861032
>>really love character design
>>want to cosplay said character because they're really speaking to me

Hate to break it to you. But if the character wasn't compelling enough to make you want to find out more about her by playing the game you are NOT a fan.

You basically said....oh I like her, but not all that much.
>>
Cosplay whatever the fuck you want, but understand that 1) It's a let-down to people who get excited to see the character and talk to you, only to realize you have nothing to say, and 2) You absolutely do look like a poser if you know almost none of the source material.

If you're cool with that, by all means, go ahead. But don't get upset when people are disappointed or annoyed with you. You're pretty much getting their hopes up that they found someone with a common fandom, then dashing them on the rocks.
>>
>>8877007
This was painful to read. It sucks it is awkward for the real fans, when you're just doing what's natural for most con goers.
>>
I'm at the point where I just call cosplay coochplay
>>
>>8861073
tfw I agree that people that cosplay shit without knowing the source material are generally posers because of bad/awkward experiences with going up to people cosplaying stuff they don't know.
>play as bayonetta in smash
>oh no
>watching walkthroughs of first game
>I want to cosplay bayonetta now
I've gone full circle
>>
>>8861247
christ this jnig debate is annoying and old as fuck. She posts cosplay creation videos of the shit she makes, who gives a fuck if her tits are fake and so fuck if she has a boyfriend that helps her with a few things (whos fucking boyfriend wouldn't, mine isn't even into cosplay and he still wants to help as much as he can)

if you don't like what she, or any other cosplayer does just fucking ignore them jfc
>>
File: 1452907412322.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1452907412322.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>8879097
>have the console required to play the exclusive sequel
>no attempt to even play it
>>
>>8879188
I just have the 3ds
>>
This is definitely me and Kancolle (I did watch the anime, however...), though my friend who plays the game often asks me to do a pairing cosplay with her anyway. I personally love the outfit designs and the attention!
>>
Remember when people cosplayed because they loved a particular series or character?
>>
I'm quite shy so often if someone is cosplaying from the Same thing as me or something I like it's a good starting point for conversation.

It's just kinda hard when you go to talk and the person barely knows the name of the character they are, never mind anything else.

Like I just don't see the point of doing it if you don't actually like it?
I mean come on at least read their info up on a wiki or something??
>>
>>8879396
You could have done without the "I'm shy".
Shy people don't talk to others period.
And you're why.
It takes courage to make accusations and even more to fight another over it. I would sooner walk away than feel obligated to engage with someone who made me feel uncomfortable. Real fans/gamers don't need approval to enjoy something they like.
>>
ITT: Attention whores and their delusions
>>
>>8877007
This is why I've practically stopped interacting with people at conventions.
>>
>>8862756
Actual guy who posted using the Zelda example here (not that other asshole). OoT is actually on my list of stuff to play, I just need to make time for it.

>>8862799
Still counts as reading up on it, asshole.
That's like saying "You don't know anything about the Bible because you just read it and you didn't live in the ancient Middle East!"

See how stupid that sounds? That's how you fucking sound. So gargle my nuts, motherfucker.
>>
>>8881224
>You don't know anything about the Bible because you just read it.
is the equivalent of
>You don't know anything about the Zelda games because you just played them.
It isn't the equivalent of not living in the ancient Middle East. Anon isn't saying you don't know enough because you've never been to Hyrule Castle.
>>
>>8876185
Lets face it, it's pretty much the same shit as the "Gamer guuuuurls" that /v/ hates.
>>
>>8881224
Reading a wiki doesn't make you any less of a poser. I hate to burst your bubble, anon-chan.

Play the game. You can literally get it for free on an emulator so there's no excuse.
>>
>>8866348
Reminder
>>
It's a pet peeve of mine when people do this, and I think it's natural for people who cosplay characters because they are passionate about the series to feel this way. If I'm spending a lot of money and time on an outfit then I'd be damned if I don't love the series. I have a hard time putting myself in others' shoes who do it for no reason but aesthetics. Plus, I'd never want to be in that awkward, "so, what's your favorite part of ---?" and not be able to respond.

As far as experiencing the game/anime/whatever vs. reading about it - I mean, you can read about Disney, look at pictures, watch video of the rides, but nothing compares to actually being on the ride and experiencing it in person. It's just different.

Every cosplayer cosplays for attention to a certain degree - I guess this correlates with those who mainly do it for attention vs. love of the hobby.
>>
File: 1276540778370.jpg (22KB, 425x292px) Image search: [Google]
1276540778370.jpg
22KB, 425x292px
WHAT IF

cosplayers are the people who really love the source material

but costumers are the people who really love the costume?
>>
>>8881527
Go away
>>
File: 1456220799583.jpg (208KB, 923x633px) Image search: [Google]
1456220799583.jpg
208KB, 923x633px
>>8864917
The same (and only) reason any guy ever bothers putting any time, money, effort or interest into a woman.
>>
>>8881719
that was an amazing post
>>
>gets invited to league of legends group in summer of 2013
>never played, swore against ever playing MMOs or MMORPGs
>Cosplay elitist and pretentious as fuck so I do research and download the game
>gets addicted, loses life, only ever becomes a decent looking human being at cons

Just the other day I played for 22 hours straight. I should've never researched
>>
>>8881758
>league of legends
>MMO or MMORPG
I'm so confused, was this meant to prove the thread right?

Also for god sake keep your tenses and phrasal verbs consistent. The way you go back and forth between words like "gets" and "played" make it seem like every other line shifts from talking about yourself to talking about a different person.
>>
>>8881766
Oh me oh my muh greentext grammar was inconsistent? Geez find better things to complain about. Like maybe how flat your butt's getting inspecting 4chans writing skills.
>>
>>8881772
>I can be as stupid and wrong as I want because LOL 4chanz so wacky u mad XD
>>
>>8881777
That's not how greentext is used sweaty :) it's 2chainz not 4chanz sweat pee :)
>>
>>8881779
That is how greentext is supposed to be used. They're quoting you in their own words. It's only used for stories so they're not a mess to read.
>>
>>8881766
technically LoL is a massive (m) multiplayer (m) online (o) vidya. it's better categorized as a MMOBA though.
>>
>>8881781
>that is, they're, it's

Anon grammar nazi called, they want you to be more consistent with your contractions or you're gon give birth
>>
>>8881782
Massive is meant to refer to the actual size of the game, not the popularity. Lols map is not very big. Going by your definition shit like call of duty would be considered MMOs.
>>
>>8881785
No retard, I insulted you and your grammar because it was wrong. There was nothing wrong with that other persons post.

You wouldn't say "gets" when telling a story about yourself. That's a word for telling a story about somebody else. Say your friend was the subject of the story, you could say
>she gets invited to league of legends group
But you wouldn't ever say
>I gets invited to league of legends group
Well, YOU would, but that's just because you're dumb.
>>
>>8881794
>you get's fun time how correcting anon comments always; everafter, no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>8881794
>only cares about consistency when it's about subjects and tenses, not contractions

Aggressive anon is a grammarist
>>
File: $_12.jpg (21KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
21KB, 375x500px
I always do my research and always watch the shows/play the games that I cosplay from no matter what the earth ends are to do so, but a lot of the time I'll meet people who cosplay from a favorite obscure series and they never want to converse beyond "Thank you" & "See ya".

Now when you guys say social aspects I've found myself falling for more popular series, liking those, and doing cosplay meets where everyone seems to love the content and talking about it.

I'm seeing talk about costuming vs cosplay but all cosplayers who don't want to talk more after they've been recognized bother the hell out of me much more than people who cosplay popular things for popularity and friends. People really like to ham it up to talk and they know they won't be received well if they say something wrong so that's a factor too
>>
>>8881805
Contractions don't have to be consistent you fucking retard. Where the hell are you even getting that from?

Rhetorical question of course, you're getting it from nowhere. You just know nothing about grammar and are trying to imitate me by acting like you've noticed an inconsistency in my reasoning, but in reality are just further exposing your ignorance.
>>
>>8881813
Hi there, it's >>8881794 calling, you have a lot of grammatical mistakes and its going to make my prostate explode cause I'm so aroused.
> "Thank ya" and "See Ya".
For the love of Hillary's emails do not capitalize letters within a quotation like its the beginning of a sentence. Also, leave your periods in the quotations or I might get grossed out from the mess.

And ffs put a period at the end of your sentences like its the 30th day of your goddamn cycle ya hear me???
Thank you I'm gonna go rub my flat ass and continue to perpetuate the online female 30 year old equivalent of telling players on call of duty that I fucked their mom
>>
>>8881813
Yeah I love talking to people about the series but I usually spaghetti or spazz out too much. To avoid harassing the poir person I've learned to wait for the other person to talk first. Of course this means a hit or a miss. I'm sure other people feel the same way. I mean most of us are socially awkward dorks outside the con it's bound to carry on.
>>
>>8881815
You're right, they don't HAVE to be consistent. no one is holding you hostage if you don't. But it is better, prettier writing, unlike your flat butt
>>
>>8881824
No, you use whatever contraction is the fucking correct one. If the first contraction you happen to use in a post is "you're", you don't continue to use "you're" in every instance even if "your" would be the correct one. For instance.

"You're a retard, and your brain is dysfunctional."

You seem to erroneously believe that there's some kind of grammatical rule saying you need to be consistent in everything all the time, and must therefore use "you're" twice in that sentence even though it would be the wrong one in the second instance. Being fucking wrong is not better or prettier.

Now why don't you just gets the fuck out of here and go back to middle school to retake your english classes that you clearly cheated your way through.
>>
>>8881828
Holy shit that's not what I was saying at all hahaha reading comprehension please. If you look at the original post I was referencing, anon said "that is, they're, and it's." To be most correct, concise and consistent they should have used "that's" instead of "that is," as they were mixing up formal and informal ways of speaking. Where the fuck did I say ALWAYS USE THEY'RE NO MATTER WHAT LOL? Embarassing.
>>
>>8881833
Not as embarrassing as trying to tell a story in 4 lines and flipflopping between telling it about yourself and another person every other line.
>>
>>8881839
LOLLLL oh yeah you're not even good at being a bitch. Reading comprehension is way more important than writing fucking greentext grammatically correct. Like, you suck at understanding, being a bitch, and coming up with creative clap backs; why are you even here
>>
>>8881844
>>
>>8881844
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a person get so butthurt over somebody correcting their grammar before.
>>
>>8881782
generally all dota-esque games are just mobas; no extra m at the front
>>
>>8881850
At least my butts not flat
>>
>>8881853
I'm still not entirely sure what kind of insult you're going for with this whole "flat butt" thing, but I'm gonna take it as an indication that you're a very fat person.
>>
>>8881856
It's referring to people who sit on their butts and pick apart the Internet for grammar errors. I'm a very petite asian thank you though ;)
>>
>>8881844

Holy shit calm down.

Also, grammar is part of reading comprehension and being better understood by others. Back to elementary school, you.
>>
File: c1UwQL8.jpg (102KB, 1277x719px) Image search: [Google]
c1UwQL8.jpg
102KB, 1277x719px
This is Gigi. She is from China. This is what I think of when people don't know the source.
>>
>>8881858
With how much time you're willing to sit around spazzing out at someone for correcting you I think you're probably quite flat yourself.

Like, would it really have been so hard to just say "Oh yeah saying 'I gets invited' doesn't make sense" and be done with it?
>>
>>8881861
>writing grammar
>reading comprehension

Two different skills, actually. One is the art of writing and constructing sentences, and the other is understanding. Have you ever heard of expressive and receptive aphasia? They're two different problems that can happen, usually in stroke patients, where they can understand words, but not speak (expressive), or speak words but not understand (receptive). It depends if their Weirneke or Broca's area of the brain was affected. Thus, writing grammar and being able to comprehend it, are completely different actions. Why don't you go to college for something?
>>
This thread is rather fast, so off-top:
Where is the thread for stupid questions?
>>
>>8881864
either she needs some crotch padding to hide her camletoe, or he has a very skinny penis tucked. Either way, that crotch shall haunt my nightmares
>>
>>8881866
It takes 2 to tango. like, how dare I respond to the unnecessary original response and say it was unnecessary omg
>>
>>8881868

>connecting grammar with expressive language
>not connecting it with the stops and flow necessary to understand language
>not understanding that the broca's and weirnicke's are connected by a rather large bundle of neurons that make communication and comprehension work synergistically together so you can simultaneously write a sentence and understand it

Ok anon, I understand you're super excited about neurology 101, but seriously.
>>
>>8881873
The funniest part is that correcting your grammar wasn't even the main point of my post.

It was pointing out how you call yourself a lol addict, yet refer to it as an MMO, in a thread about fake fans who don't know much or anything about the source of their cosplays. The grammar was just an afterthought.
>>
>>8881879
Um my point was understanding and expressing are two different skills. Writing grammar is not the same as comprehending grammar. Lots of kids will speak a certain way, but you ask them why they spoke with a certain grammatical flow, and they won't be able to answer you.

And reading comprehension is literally

>"the ability to read text, process it and understand its meaning. An individual's ability to comprehend text is influenced by their traits and skills, one of which is the ability to make inferences."

Reading comprehension != writing skills. Like, woo wee good job you understand sometimes that have to work together but you missed my point completely. I'm not paid enough for online teaching tho so that's all the freebies U getz
>>
>>8881881
True. I admit I got it wrong (I mixed it up) but it definitely didn't come off as the main point, as you spent 5x longer correcting my English. I play a shit ton of LoL, I'm in plat, I've cosplayed plenty from it. You just decided to go on some weird type of power trip and try to scream grammar errors at an anon, that's pretty lame. When I was originally typing the story I was referencing back to how much I proclaimed I hated WoW and any of the like MMOs, lumping in league with it. Myyyyyyyy baaaaad
>>
>>8881883

The fact that they're different skills does not mean that one cannot influence the other. In fact, I would argue that they're highly related and that losing one ability as you stated greatly hampers a person to communicate with the world, whether that is understanding or talking.

We could argue until we're blue in the face but I'm pretty sure we're in agreement here. You're saying they're different abilities and I'm saying they're connected.
>>
>>8881890
Of course. Everything in yor brain is technically connected. But they are different skills. You said writing grammar is part of reading comprehension and it isn't. You're losing your point. If they weren't so different they wouldn't be individual categories tested on in things like the ACT. You could get a 30 in reading and 15 in writing, cause they are totally seperate. That's like saying chewing is the same thing as pooping. They're connected in the food breakdown process but you MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO DO ONE
>>
>>8881899

I never said that.

I said grammar is part of reading comprehension.

And you immediately jumped on it thinking it was 'writing' grammar.
>>
>>8881903
Sure. Understanding grammar can be. But in my instance I was scolded for flip flopping sentences, or my grammar writing. So we're talking about the writing grammar, which is not reading comprehension. I don't know why I have to lay this out for you.
>>
I keep updating and see that people post in the thread, then realize it's the same people arguing again.

Anyways back on topic, If you're cosplaying from an anime it really is not that hard to watch it unless you hate anime. Also if you do you might find out you like another character better, or maybe that it was a crappy anime and that you don't want to cosplay it.

Video games take up way more time but...I won't cosplay something I haven't played. There are plenty of costumes I'd like and have no desire to play the game...so I find a game i'm interested in to play and see if anything pops out to me.
>>
>>8881909

I popped into this conversation midway and I couldn't care to see the shitfest beforehand. I was here specifically to stir up shit after standing up (literally) making my ass round being a productive member of society for 13 straight hours. And you're a pretty easy pot of shit to stir.

Also seriously you've been in this thread way longer than I have. Who's the flatass now.
>>
Okay so now I've shitted up this thread good enough.

I've known games more indepth than gamers because I spend dozens of hours trawling the wiki pages, canon summaries, fanon theories, all sorts of shit. I also watch playthroughs which are pretty good substitutes for playing the actual game in terms of canon.

Fight me, fanboys.
>>
>>8881912
Nobody really cares what you just did with your life, if it's so important you wouldntve come back. Jokes on you
>>
>>8881914
I mean no offense just genuinely curious, if you put that much time and energy into learning about it why don't you play it? Don't have the money or don't like the genre?
>>
>>8881914
That's an awfully long way of saying "Yeah i'm a total game fan I just do everything but play the game".
>>
>>8881914
>>8881920
>I love movies I just do everything but watch them
>I love books I just do everything but read them
>I love food I just do everything but eat it
>>
>>8881919
>>8881920

Sometimes consoles weren't available but for some reason I wanted to join the fandom. Maybe it was the characters. Maybe it was the cool costumes. In any case I just joined up and I had the same amount of fun in any case. I did end up playing most of the games (e.g. assassin's creed) but in the meanwhile I just got into the worldbuilding (and its flaws) quite a bit and it was great to participate in a very active fandom.

With easier access with a PC now that's not an issue but I also have a habit of using eating time for watching playthroughs.
>>
I know we all hate the "in my personal opinion" buuuuttt..
When I cosplay, I tend to get in a certain mindset. I normally end up being strong characters because I personally like looking/feeling like a badass, so when I take pics I can potray it with facial expressions, etc. I HAVE to know and like the character.
When I first started cosplaying FF7 was a huge deal and my friend wanted me to do Yuffie. I agreed and started working and then played the game and was like yeah no. Yuffie is fucking annoying.
Idk I just would feel no satisfaction cosplaying a character I don't like/know.
>>
I dislike Jojos a great deal
But I love working with leather, western wear, and cowboy hats
Gyro has been on my "to do" list for awhile.
But knowing the fan base, I feel like they'd eat me alive if I did it poorly, and worse if I did it well but don't give a fuck about jojos.
I normally say "wear what you want, who cares" but that being said, know what you're getting into. You better be okay with people calling you on it. As long as you don't mind saying "Hey, I just love a good costume" and dealing with whatever shit they wanna complain, go ahead.
>>
>>8881938
I don't think that disliking some work is the same as not knowing anything about it.

I cosplay many characters and series that I dislike, but I like the design or something like that and watched and researched a lot before making my costume.
>>
>>8881925
I understand that, I get in these ruts where I have no desire to play video games and instead just watch other people play them and sometimes have more fun watching.
>>
ITT:

>My way of cosplay is the only true way, everyone who doesn't do things my way is an attention whore!!!!11!!!1!

You people are worse than the "true" travelers on /trv/
>>
>>8881986
In that post: an attention whore who jumps on anything popular for attention.
>>
>>8881988
Jokes on you, i never cosplayed something popular.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 236x235px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 236x235px
>>8881986
U mad that you're outnumbered?
>>
File: Butthurt.png (156KB, 426x882px) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt.png
156KB, 426x882px
>>8881992
You seem upset anon, u don't even know what my way of cosplaying is like.
>>
>>8881995
We know it's not passionate or emotionally attached, that's for sure.
>>
>>8881998
>we
And how to you know that.
>>
>>8881999
Because you got so upset at the implication that it was true
>>
File: image.png (124KB, 520x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
124KB, 520x466px
>>8881995
Why would I be hurt if most people ITT agree with me?
>>
>>8882000
How am I upset? I just want to understand you.
>>
>>8882003
maybe i also agree with you, but my first statement still stands true.
>>
>>8882005
Nice backpeddling.
>>
>>8882007
How am i back peddling? I never made another statement than that everyone things his/her/its way of cosplay is the only correct way.
>>
>>8882010
So you don't agree with us.
>>
>>8882013
>So you don't agree with me.

I don't know what your statement is so can't agree/disagree with it.
They only thing I disagree with is that there is only one kind of attention whores. Some whore for attention of (other) fans of a fandom, some for compliments for their craftsmanship, some just for attention so they fit in, some for the lust and money of neck beards and others just for any kind of attention so they feel special.
>>
>>8882020
The majority opinion in this thread is that people who cosplay without knowing the source are posers and attention whores. I don't remember seeing anybody argue that people who cosplay because they know the source are the attention whores.

You were criticizing the people who accused others of being attention whores.
>>
>>8882025
But people accused just-likes-sewing-anon of being an attention whore, when she isn't even going to cons.

>You were criticizing the people who accused others of being attention whores.
See above, and then the people said they are cosplaying for the sake of meeting other people, and if that's your only reason for cosplay you are attention whoring, just not the niggri or >>8861313 kind of attention whore.
>>
>>8861440

I had the same issue. I love fighting games, and Street Fighter IV had come out, introducing a handful of characters I liked playing but didn't want to cosplay (Juri).

So, I cosplayed as Cammy. Fuck, I've tried to play her, but I don't enjoy spending more time to learn her moves than actually vs. with my friends. I looked back on older games, to try and find a more modest costume.

Also, shout out to people who are willing to cosplay for their significant others. I force my partner to go to cons in stuff he doesn't really give a shit about, but understands that I'm into it, and he rolls with it.
>>
I've done this, and my one encounter with a fan was so awkward that i was like "never again" i was lucas from mother but i cosplayed him because i like him in smash, i'll cosplay him again once i get through the mother games, because she was so excited and i couldn't talk about the games with her AT ALL
>>
>>8882025
Honestly cosplay is a pretty fundamentally attention whore-ish hobby.

Like there's plenty of other hobbies that don't focus on getting a bunch of people looking at you and taking pictures and stuff.
>>
>>8881719
I'm amused by the implication that the vaginas he meets are only sometimes attached to girls.
>>
>>8862985
I'm certain that the characters in Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Tekken all have extensive backstories and personalities. The characters in the first three series I listed have a couple decades worth of games, so the characters are pretty fleshed out and have sizeable histories. I'd rather see someone cosplay a character whom they are really attached to than simply one whom they think "looks cool" or who has a costume that will get them attention.

There are horrible people oit there who think that Morrigan and Felicia are the only two characters in Darkstalkers.......sad
>>
>>8862985
>Most fighters don't have a super in-depth stories
It's pretty obvious you have never played them. In series like Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear etc. all the characters have a pretty elaborate backstory included.
Thread posts: 295
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.