[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ontario General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 28

File: Ontario-flag.png (78KB, 1162x581px) Image search: [Google]
Ontario-flag.png
78KB, 1162x581px
Old Canada thread is falling fast and Ontario should probably have its own thread given the weight of activity.

Upcoming Cons:

Toronto Comicon
Ad Astra
Anime North
Atomic Lollipop(???)
ConBravo
FanExpo
Ottawa Pop Expo
Forest City Comiccon

Any cons, meetups, parties, etc fellow seagulls are hitting up?
>>
>>8853595
I'm curious too. They should be back at the Science Centre again this year, right?
>>
File: 1392868415556.jpg (52KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1392868415556.jpg
52KB, 300x300px
>>8853482
Anyone going to Yeticon? It looks they're trying to emulate Colossalcon
http://www.yeticon.org/

>>8854010
As far as I know, that's confirmed. The Science Centre loves APOP
>>
>>8853482
Hope it returns this year. Attended the first 3 years and always had a blast there.

But also will be attending AN and YetiCon
>>
File: yetiwatm8.png (52KB, 311x199px) Image search: [Google]
yetiwatm8.png
52KB, 311x199px
>>8856008
>heard you were talkin shit
>>
>>8856073
in what world is that a yeti it looks like a sad mountain
0/10 worst con
>>
>>8855994
It's basically Canadian Colossalcon

I'm on the fence but leaning towards going. It's just that I want to go to Colossalcon too so going to both is going to hurt my wallet a lot. So I'm thinking I either go to both or just Yeticon. It'd also depend on if I have friends to go with, as well as wondering if the crowd would even be big enough there.
>>
So after seeing all of your pros and cons towards Anime Shogatsu and now that it's been enough days for you to think over it and gather a final overall opinion, was it worth the trip? Are you going back next year?
>>
>>8856701
>basically Canadian Colossalcon
They wish. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but it's a first year con and it's at a resort that I doubt will be forgiving if shit goes down.
Also if you want to go to colossalcon, you'd have needed to book a room last year, and that's not an understatement, so i hope you know someone that has space if you do plan to go
>>
>>8857101
I'd be willing to go back to see how it improves for a second year. I can only say for the sales area (since I was selling in the AA and didn't make it to any events or panels) but the staff members were really nice. They even talked to every artist/vendor table at the end of the day to ask for suggestions to improve. And it felt like they actually listened to my suggestions.
>>
>>8857401
I mean, it is a con at a resort just like ColossalCon, is it not? That is why I made the comparison.

ColossalCon seems unlikely for me then because I was hoping rooms would still be available. I could ask some of my friends who are going but chances seem slim. Maybe I should just stick to Yeticon.
>>
>>8857518
Well yes it's at a resort but the amenities aren't as huge as the Kalahari. Still it would be nice to see this take off if they do the first year right
>>
>>8857101
I didn't attend, but from what I've heard from friends is that the con was alright. Being a first year con, it was bound to have some issues but overall there were more pros than cons.

Objectively speaking if the con wasn't rushed and didn't experience a last minute venue change, things would've turned out a lot better. Hopefully if they decide to return next year, they should be able to fix a lot of logistical issues with more planning and foresight.
>>
I need a cosplay commissioner who sews well in Ontario. All the results i'm finding in google are in the states or overseas.

WHO?
>>
>>8857531
It also doesn't need to be though. Canadian cons are usually smaller by virtue of being in Canada. It just needs to be good.
>>
I'm a lil cheesed because I finally have the time and money for Colossal and they have this con closer.

Tips for a first time ColossalConner?
>>
>>8858909
make sure you go to the waterpark early on the weekend or at least once, because you may end up on sunday night realizing you didn't even visit it
>>
>>8859191
>>8858909

> go once
> you mean stay
>>
>>8860986
I'll admit the first year I went to Colossalcon I was probably at the waterpark more than the con
>>
Bumping up to save it and to continue the conversation
>>
I keep seeing people in other threads, facebook, tumblr, etc already planning their coords for AN and I'm just wondering, wouldnt you want to find out who the guests are first? I'd hate to plan an ott tea party coord with one brand's pieces only to find out that the guests of honor are their rival brand...
>>
>>8862588
lolita's are nuckin futs
>>
>>8862588
People are doing the same for their cosplays, planning out everything they're making/wearing, which with the time makes sense if it's a big build, i think it's more because there aren't many Canadian cons between now and AN and people like to pull out the big shit for AN
>>
>>8862588
>>8863888
This is mostly people who don't really wear lolita already, isn't it? First coords can take a while to pull together, especially if you're ordering from Taobao or other slow-shipping places, and if you don't have much to work with, you need to start planning months in advance or risk not having stuff show up on time. I still think it's dumb, but I understand why people are doing it.

I am curious to know when they'll announce the brand guests.
>>
>>8863942
last i heard cadney said details were still being finalized but that we'd hear soon. i'm excited to find out!

>>8863915
i totally get it with cosplays, i've been working on my and my bf's AN cosplay lineups since december myself (so that i can work on making them slowly and methodically, remake anything that turns out shitty, buy my materials when they're discounted etc), and lolita-wise i'll admit to having brainstormed a couple options of main pieces to bring along depending on guests/weather, but it's just in terms of having finalised entire coords already that i'm a bit perplexed.

i guess >>8863942 has a point though, a lot of the people i'm seeing doing this are saying stuff along the lines of "look guys i finally got a lolita blouse!" anyways
>>
>>8862588
I can't speak for Lolita but the guests at AN are rarely relevant enough to plan cosplay around.
>>
>>8864403
the lolita guests are the only good ones desu, was really impressed when AN started actually getting big brand sempais to notice them
>>
I'm so impatient, I need to know who the tea party guests are NOW.
Did it take this long last year?
>>
>>8865737
was last year's tea party exceptionally bad or is it always like that? can't make up my mind whether to go or not.
>>
>>8866939
(anon you replied to)
I didn't go last year, this year will be my first.
I didn't know the tea party had a rep for being bad?
>>
>>8866939
>>8866978
i've been for a few years in a row now and wouldn't say it's definitely not bad overall in terms of an event, just that the food and music choices weren't always very well thought out, logistics not always well covered in terms of how to call up tables, distribute resources (last year we were missing knives for food items that blatantly needed knives to even attempt consumption), manage downtime, etc. it's definitely been improving over time, but remember that it's organised by a bunch of amateurs from the comm, and there will always be a bunch of little slip-ups because of that. it's the way of us gulls to complain about the little errors like that, but overall the event is still fun and worthwhile with those aside. just think of it as a fancy meetup with brand guests rather than a big budget professional event and you'll be fine
go in with huge expectations (and/or no friends to laugh with) though and you might be disappointed
>>
File: akira_guest_update.jpg (521KB, 1461x1080px) Image search: [Google]
akira_guest_update.jpg
521KB, 1461x1080px
well, first big guest of the year, though we're still being told to hang on and wait a little longer in terms of the guest brand
>>
>>8867147
I'm not saying it's anybody's fault that it's bad, most of the problems were on the hotel's end (no cutlery, ran out of hot water every two tables). That location is kinda brutal too, last year there were a bunch of cosplayers blasting rave music in the open hallway when they were trying to start the q and a that nobody could do anything about. Again, nothing that was the fault of those girls but I wish they could swing one of the conference rooms for us to hang out in instead.
>>
>>8868099
Or maybe staff could do fucking ANYTHING like their job. I swear con ops just stands around talking to their friends.
>>
>>8868099
theyve moved us to one of the big ballrooms this year tho i think?
>>
Im an American going to anime north for the first time. What would be the best way to find a local photographer?
>>
>>8872093
Be a qt3.14 grill and wait for them to come to you.
>>
File: flaming turdcon.png (318KB, 1027x606px) Image search: [Google]
flaming turdcon.png
318KB, 1027x606px
what.

THE FUCK.

is THIS.
>>
>>8872702

That's horrifying
>>
>>8856008 >>8856073 >>8872702
REALLY!?! Judging a convention by it's poorly designed mascot. What is this art school or convention attending?

Last I checked, a cons artwork or mascot didn't anything towards it's success, less that's what you judge it upon
>>
>>8873022
On first glance, yes I am that harsh and I do judge it upon that. EVERYONE knows someone who has some basic artistic skill, it couldn't have been that difficult to source a decent mascot design.
>>
>>8873022
i dont give two shits about whatever con this is but this horrifying potato creature is still gonna haunt my dreams goddammit
>>
>>8873022
Poor mascot=poor design/branding=poor con

Name me one halfway decent convention that doesn't have professional-looking mascots or logos.

Branding is important.
>>
File: 2016-02-19 01.12.34.png (679KB, 777x777px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-19 01.12.34.png
679KB, 777x777px
Aaaaand look who's back.
>>
>>8873047 >>8873086 >>8873099
I don't give two shits about a cons branding. I care more about it's content and whether or not it's worth it to attend. And seeing as it's only a first year convention, I can't really say if it's worth it. But I'm still going to be attending it because friends will be attending it and I'm too broke for Colossalcon
>>
>>8873227
I will literally cringe if they invite JNig on top of Yaya.
>>
>>8873099
Youmacon
Katsucon
Lots of cons have poor house artists
>>
>>8873589
Yaya is permissible even for all the dramu she causes because she'll at least do shit for other people in the hobby. This is her first time at AN since 2010ish I think, so at least they had the good sense to avoid her during her days of really heavily pandering to neckbeards.

IIRC based on what I've been told about the guidelines for what they look for in cosplay guests, JNig wouldn't be the right fit. You need to be able to contribute more than signing prints and posing for photos as well as know what the hell you're doing as a masq judge.

For all of Anime North's faults the cosplay dept is usually organized & get qualified people so I'm hoping it won't be a total circle jerk.
>>
First time con-goer here. Will there meet a meet up? Want to meet some gulls.
>>
>>8876624
yes the international hotel mens bathroom at 12am be there
>>
>>8876638
don't forget to bring a camera, some lube and a wig. you know, for science!!!!
>>
>>8876624
>>8876638
last year was great I lost my anal virginity!
>>
>>8878673
same, 10/10 would do again
>>
>>8876624
If you are talking about anime north, then yes there will be. As long as I keep going to consider, there will always be a room for gulls to hang out and drink in. I need to call the international plaza to see if I've moved up on the waiting list, I was like #15 after they sold out so hopefully I can sang a room. I got a room at the Sheraton but it would be alot more convenient if I get in at the International.
>>
>>8876638
We will still go to the bathroom meet up though, last year's was too much fun so there is no way I'm going to miss it.
>>
Are the /cgl/ meetups like super awkward or is it usually cool? Is everyone outgoing? I'm quite shy but want to make more friends. I've been a con goer for awhile but usually stick with my current gang.
>>
>>8883533
they are usually really cool. following there is always a room party and it get really intense (good)
>>
>>8883533
I've been to a handful, and generally speaking everyone is pretty cool. Last year at AN we met up and went to the bar at the International Hotel, before making our way to the room party.

I got to meet the fabled Truffle-Chan, and that was pretty neat as she's a really nice person in real life.
>>
>>8883533
Pro tip for when you are drinking in someone's hotel. When the host walks in, please dont inform him that their is a bathtub full of beer and to help himself to one if he wants one.
1. yeah I know, it's my room and I post a picture of my bathtub on cgl prior to having the party
2. That's my beer in your hand but their is a bathtub full of beer if you want to help youself.

People at meet ups are usually pretty outgoing and like to have fun. Quite a few people have already made friends with each other and formed their own clicks but from my experiences, new comers are quite welcome.
>>
I hear Kitchener Comic Con and Ron are up to their old tricks and shitting on things
>>
>>8884227
Kitchener ComicCon is happening again? I hadn't heard anything, it was ok last year but of course was ruined after the fact by Ron
>>
File: Screenshot (2).jpg (702KB, 1623x931px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (2).jpg
702KB, 1623x931px
>>8884266
That's what their website says and some attendees have confirmed it
>>
I think I'll attend Anime North this year finally, just so I have an excuse to go wild in Toronto.
>>
File: IMG_20150523_221151.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150523_221151.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>8883533
Always very cool and welcoming to new people, even if you don't drink

Sorry not sorry for posting best pic of the last AN meet
>>
>>8884651
ayy im in that pic
>>
>>8884651
>4 girls
>1000 guys
Typical con room party
>>
File: IMG_20150524_150930.jpg (2MB, 2368x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150524_150930.jpg
2MB, 2368x3200px
>>8885052
Pretty sure more came in after that photo, like 4-5 more.
>>
>>8885221
My helmet kek
>>
>>8885221
yeah there were. few more people came, that was almost at the start
>>
>>8883563
>>8883845
>>8883855
>>8884651
Thanks everyone. Seems pretty cool. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the Anime North/other Canadian con threads and see what you're all up to.
>>
What are some fun things you guys might like me to bring to an AN meetup? I've not gone to a cgl meet, but any other meet i've attended I usually bring snacks or stickers? Would stickers be cute? I could certainly throw together a salty seagull doodle, or something Canadian related for any of you who hit US cons too?
>>
>>8886007
last yr there was a post on craigslist or something with a girl asking to be gangbanged by a bunch of random guys in cosplay. not sure if this was bait or not seeing as how there's also a fetlife group who hosts a orgy at every con?
>>
>>8886235
Alcohol
>>
is there any fairy kei kids in south ontario? I'm looking to hold a meet, but I have no idea how many of us there are, or if there's enough.
>>
>>8886235
Just bring urself bby
;)
>>
Any more news on the AN tea party yet?
>>
>>8888673
other than akira, no. getting rather impatient since my wardrobe is all pver the place and time is running low to hunt down any pieces/accessories i'd want for a decent tea party outfit for any specific brand...
>>
>>8888713
My exact worries. Shipping isn't always the fastest, too. I'm getting antsy.
>>
>>8887974
there are a bunch of cosplay meet ups that happen in the spring and summer in parks and such. you could try to gather the fairy keis there. if nobody really shows... well there's at least other cosplayers there right?
>>
Which day does the AN room party normally take place? I think I'm only going the Saturday this year, I assume it'd be the best day for that anyways?
>>
I'm >>8889175
I also forgot to ask how people would recommend I get my alch to the room party? Won't have a hotel room this year
>>
>>8889175
Nothings been decided yet. But we had one on both Friday and Saturday last year.

>>8889176
Do you mean bring it from the States over to Canada? Or lug one around during the con?
>>
I couldn't find a full Canada thread..
I just moved to Coquitlam from the States. There isn't much to do around Vancouver, is there?
>>
File: 2016-03-01 11.16.41.png (58KB, 315x253px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-01 11.16.41.png
58KB, 315x253px
Who all is going to the March con?

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the guest list so far. Not exactly dying to see Rob Liefeld or a bunch of fame thirsty cosplayers. I thought the whole appeal of FanExpo's cons was getting in good names?
>>
>>8890894
yeah but this is the march one, what were you really expecting??
>>
>>8889176
>>8889206

If you are a US resident coming to Canada and don't want to get on the bad side of the border guards, check out: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html#a2c

If you are a Canadian resident returning to Canada, check out: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html#a5

If you're simply trying to sneak booze into the rooms, you could try bringing it up in a carry-on luggage that wouldn't look out of place in a hotel. Pack the bottles carefully!
>>
>>8890894
the big one is in the summer, stan lee is scheduled to make his final canadian appearance there
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/18/stan-lee-announces-final-canadian-appearance
>>
>>8890894
I'll be there, still figuring cosplay lineup.
>>
>>8890989
>sneaking booze into the room
What are we 12 or something?
>>
>>8890989
or you can just buy booze there. theres a liquor store near the venue
>>
File: haru.jpg (1MB, 900x1362px) Image search: [Google]
haru.jpg
1MB, 900x1362px
In case anyone is interested. The JCCC is hosting it's Haru Matsuri (Spring Festival) this weekend.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455220109404.jpg (49KB, 720x920px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455220109404.jpg
49KB, 720x920px
>>8890894
gonna be there, excited to get baked and walk around in comfy cosplay and hang out with friends. If you wanna share a joint, seagulls, just ask!
>>
>>8893868
Who will you be cosplaying as so I know who to ask.
>>
AN's guest budget was paid in Canadian Tire money again wasn't it
>>
I wonder, will we actually get a brand guest this year for fashion? it feels a little late to announce and also AN seems to have a lot of cosplay guest this year maybe they ran out of money
>>
>>8896033
They made it seem as if they were working on bringing someone. When did they announce brand guests last year?
>>
>>8887974
past couple days ive seen two different girls wearing fairy kei at bloor/yonge and spadina stations

they exist, im not sure but there is probably an online community for them
>>
toms handywork?

>>8888774
>>
>>8896033
I don't know....I'm certainly starting to wonder...when announcing Akira, cadney was saying "as for guest announcements, we're not done just yet -- so please stay tuned!", and if Akira was really supposed to be the only big one youd think they'd have left her to later, right?
I'm just hoping that maybe it's a big enough brand that negotiations and contract stuff are just taking longer than usual...
>>
>>8896041
>>8896440
they announced the brand guest early in january last year. I feel that even if we do have a brand guest coming over, it might not be a big name like Baby or AP, since they are experienced in going oversea you'd expect them to get things figured out quiet easily.
>>
>>8896041
Looked through the fb archives and BtSSB and Midori had both been already announced by early/mid February last year...well then.
>>
Any good cons coming up in the Edmonton area? I went to Animethon a couple years back and it was aight. I'm not even an anime fan but I just like the idea of seeing other nerds.
>>
>>8896457
Whoops I just remembered this is an Ontario thread, and I'm in Alberta.
>>
>>8896421
Surely there are other feet fetishists that exist. [spoiler]Unfortunately.[/nospoilersoncgl]
>>
Has anyone tried going to a convention on psychedelics?
>>
>>8853482
I'm visiting Oh Canada for Anime North from America. I have a passport, global entry/secure traveler card. What should I know about Canadian convention culture?
>>
>>8897584
For a lot of people, AN is just an excuse for friends to get together and chill and get really drunk.
In general, there's nothing really that different as far as I can tell, but I've only been to one American con.

Is there a specific reason you're coming to AN this year? Most people I know wouldn't recommend it just as a general con.
>>
>>8898063
The Canadian dollar is shit, work won't let me go to Colossal, and I have to ~tactical~ for Anime Expo. so yeah
>>
>>8897584
It is virtually indescribable due to the huge land masses and cultural diversity available.

But if you're in Toronto at AN, mostly 16 year olds not able to control their shit when drunk and shouting dank memes, and staff not able to fucking do their jobs because lol lazypowertrip.jpg.
>>
>>8898103
yeah, you've got a point
>>
>>8898103
>>8898162
>>8898178

Thanks all. So I'm a photographer mainly (I go to cons to hang out, meet new friends (works very well, i have so many friends to hang with now), and see quality cosplay. Does Canada have good cosplay?

Also, this me being lol american but will they accept my bank card, or do I have to use my chip credit card, OR should I bring cash.

Sorry for asking so many questions, its just all the countries I travel to are either in Asia, the Middle East or in Africa, (and I haven't been to a western first world country in.. 10 years?)
>>
>>8898190
Otakuthon has better cosplay than AN imo, despite AN bring bigger. Plus better locations for photography.

I'm pretty sure that you can use your cards, but it's better to bring cash as a general con guideline.
>>
>>8898190
I always see some pretty spectacular cosplay at AN frankly (although definitely interspersed with 14 year old sweaty homestuckers if i'm being honest)

As for money, a lot of sellers dont tend to have card machines, and the atms at the con tend to have lines out the door and terrible fees, so I always bring cash. I'd suggest the same for you (besides, then you can bask in the glory of our plastic rainbow money)
>>
>>8898354
>>8898190
also one other question, are you a regular on this board or just visiting? there are always some pretty great gull meetups at the con
>>
>>8897342
yes, it was fun.
>>
>>8897342
nah, i spend too much money on these events (and my cosplays) to waste my time on something I could do elsewhere and not fully enjoy the panels/competitions/etc that i'm there for
>>
>>8898162
What do you mean by staff not being able to do stuff? Haven't been to AN before.

Hm. Drunk 16 year olds doesn't seem like the greatest of times...
>>
>>8898718
not that anon but most of the staff are unpaid volunteers so sometimes you'll come across some real power-trippy douchebags
>>
>>8897342
Not to sound like a pearl clutcher but cons probably aren't the best place for that if only because it's not a controlled environment, unless its in something like a room party where people are finewith it. It's like when people do the hard stuff at music festivals. Not as fun as it sounds.
>>
File: clip (2016-03-07 at 09.41.35).png (486KB, 1751x4131px) Image search: [Google]
clip (2016-03-07 at 09.41.35).png
486KB, 1751x4131px
>>
>>8898718
>>8898728
AN doesn't train its volunteers and a lot of the staff are in entrenched positions so they powertrip or just sit around lazy assholes.

There's a few exceptions though. I've found the Masquerade staff super nice every year I've gone, the panel guys are really helpful, the rave crew is awesome, and the gaming staff are okay except for one fat ginger fuck who keeps staring at girls boobs and making racist comments.

Everyone who watches the TCC doors and those "special ops" guys or whatever are assholes though. They also hire the worst security guards for the rave.
>>
>>8898354
Which is fucking INSANE in the era of Square readers.
>>
>>8899337
Bad in what way for the rave?
>>
>>8899062
Well, there's usually a gap during the day at AN where none of the panels you want to go to are happening, that lasts a few hours. Usually Saturday and Friday afternoon
>>
>>8899246
>You're not going to be a weak tea pissbaby and get upset because I talk about social issues too much / too intensely and police my tone and body language all day.

wtf did i just read?!
>>
>>8900409
Linking from the help thread because fucking Quebec and this is pretty much a Canada general.
>>
>>8899337
>>8898728

Makes sense. Thanks.

I assume that there will be mtg drafts, right? Might want to do a couple of those as a break between con stuff
>>
This will be my first AN. Where do people tend to post deets about phootshoot gatherings and such? Does the con help organize them at all?
>>
>>8901161
Cosplay.com and the teahouse boards for official-ish shit, but you can usually find facebook groups for Fandom shoots and gatherings as well.
>>
>>8901161
The con has a photoshoot organizer who's always very helpful and does a wonderful job. Aside from that though, local communities pretty much do their own stuff.
>>
>>8898190
You're likely going to find Canada's cosplay a little disapointing in comparison to American cosplayers. Most of it is an age difference? More Canadian cosplayers are young kids, so they have shitty jobs and not enough money to put a lot of work and funds into nice cosplays. And most of the younger ones really don't give a shit what they look like, they're just there to have a good time.

Americans just go harder, idk man. You'll have a chill time at a Canadian con, and everyone is super friendly and sweet? But US cons pay better (as a photog), and you'll see much more detail and effort put forth.
>>
>>8899246
SJWs who like stuff like Supernatural and Azalea Banks always weird me out. Like do they even realize how ~offensive~ the shit they personally like is too?
>>
File: 1451627958515.jpg (39KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
1451627958515.jpg
39KB, 457x480px
I want to go to toronto comic con but i have no friends that are into that at all, anyone need a roomie?

I can pay my share and i have manners , i just want to experience my first con not completely alone, butif there are no takers ill just get my own room no biggie

Can chat on fb so you can confirm my saneness
>>
>>8901655
>>8901161
Like the other anon said, all con long there are photoshoots organised (through one awesome staffer) for different series, the schedule and maps for which you'll find published in the con guide and on the official forums. If you're looking to host one in that regard, most good locations/timeslots/series are already taken, but if you're just planning on going as a cosplayer or photographer you should have no problem.

Schedule wont be officially out for a while still, but here's the tentative list if you want to plan:
>dropbox.com/s/zu3av3j2kxwosdd/Photoshoot%20Schedule%202016.pdf
>>
File: LONGING.gif (676KB, 175x200px) Image search: [Google]
LONGING.gif
676KB, 175x200px
you know, I've never really thought about it until now, but is there an age limit for AN? I've been before when I was finished high school and it seemed to be a lot of younger people, but I'm 24 now and wanting to go back.. Is it awkward?
>>
>>8901783
They're not going to kick you out, if that's what you're asking... Really, you might not be a part of the majority in terms of age anymore, but 24 is hardly old.
>>
>>8901760
>Reborn!
Am I imagining it or is KHR cosplay not dead. Anyone know who's organizing it? I looked and haven't seen a single mention anywhere
>>
File: bpls.jpg (32KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
bpls.jpg
32KB, 323x323px
>>8901783
>"Am I old?"
>is 24
>>
If someone is an official guest at AN (they're announced on the website), does that mean that the con pays for all of their flights, rooms, and food?
>>
>>8902008
Depends on the guest and their contracts with AN.
>>
>>8902045
I just mostly don't get why AN would pay for the two music producers/DJs from Missouri, assuming they're paying in the first place. I don't have a problem with them, but it doesn't make sense to me to bring them in to Toronto because they're not particularly popular or anime-related.
>>
>>8902008
The con likes NA guests because they are cheaper to bring over. AN will always take Canadian/USA guest because they are cheaper.
Cons have a few things to consider when bringing over a guest
>flight
>accomodations
>pass (for all their parties)
>extra fees (how much extra do you pay for them, merch they bring over/bring back ect)
>food and extra activities
>misc

Some smaller guest may contact the con and only ask for like accommodations/pass in exchange to be a guest. Others like Japanese guest cost more.

With the tanking dollar, Canadian cons won't have great guest list this year because it's harder for your money to go further, hence why they are focusing on these types of guests.
>>
File: 1457060565578.png (81KB, 578x488px) Image search: [Google]
1457060565578.png
81KB, 578x488px
>>8901926
I feel old already at 22
>>
>>8901783
Literally the other half of my college classmates are going to AN this year.
>>
>>8902862
ill tell you something, All the faggots that went to anime conventions in the mid/early 2000s are all in our 20's now

All the cringe people we see in videos are all now in our 20s, When people say (30 is the new 20) they aren't lieing

people in their 20s are so socially stunted that we have reverted to being teenagers.
>>
>>8901760
Nice. Thank you anon.
>>
>>8903048
Tfw 18
Tfw socially retarded
Tfw everyone else is too
Tfw everyone in Toronto is
>>
>>8901783
No
The idea that conventions have an age limit is retarded
>>
>>8884227
at least its better than tri-con and the twats that run that.
>>
>>8897342
I have this quarter of shrooms that ive had saved for a while

Is Anime North the right place to do this? I am the type to get anxiety on weed, and even looking at cosplayers while high trips me out in a bad way
>>
>>8903561
No
No it is not
Tri-con is awful, but KCC was like 1000000% worse
Ron is actual human garbage
>>
>>8903586
>even looking at cosplayers while high trips me out in a bad way
>asks if getting high at a con is a good idea
I dunno man, what does your common sense say?
>>
>>8903586
I know a group of people who might do shrooms in AN
>>
>>8903586
Shrooms are not the drug to take to a con, especially if just looking at people trips you out when high.
you're gonna have a real bad trip.
>>
Is it strange that we've had no update at all for the tea party? Kinda wondering if I should just sell my ticket and save some money.
>>
>>8903867
If you do end up wanting to sell, I'll happily buy it off of you if you have no one else lined up.
>>
>>8884651
>Every year I think about going to the /cgl/ meet-up
>Every year I decide not too because I only come here for cons and spend most of my time on other boards
>Every year it looks like I miss out and I regret it
>>
>>8903867
What king of update do you want?
>>
>>8904171
not even that anon, but probably the same thing the rest of us want, by which I mean finding out the brand guests.
i feel like they couldnt afford who they originally were getting, and now have to scramble to get anyone at all
>>
>>8902061
That's because the dance at Anime North is ran by people who have no conception of what anime-related means. Even when it's being shoved in their face, they are more likely to pick sketchy drug dealing Drum and Bass DJs and Their Friend that Helped Them Move a Trailer One Time Last Year. It is disappointing for sure. If they get called on it they'll just shrug and mutter something about J-core.
>>
>>8903875
I'll let you know, anon.
>>
>>8884651
damn yall some ugly motherfuckers. gonna post this on other boards for kekes

Wood berry in the blond chick tho
>>
>>8904491
She bites
>>
>>8904491
>>8904535
Confirmed. She bites dicks. Dickbiter Blaire.
>>
>>8903984
First timer at AN and new to CGL, we can do buddy, see you at the meet up
>>
So how are new comers treated at meet ups like will anyone talk to me because you guys seems to already be a tight knit group. Also is there anyone in specific that I should look out for in terms of making friends.
>>
>>8904449
Even then, I don't really get why Missouri. It would be much cheaper and better for the community to get a local artist.
>>
>>8904872
Hasn't this question been asked a bunch already in this thread?
>>
>>8904171
I want to know what the brand guest is (if one at all) so I can finally plan my dang coord.
>>
>>8904872
You might miss out on meeting/hanging out with some really cool people if you ask strangers who not to look for when making friends.
>>
>>8905168
tb.h i don't want a brand guest this year because there's an OTT coord i've been looking for an occasion to wear but the main piece is VM and the only other brand i'm wearing is small IW accessories, and god knows vm never goes overseas.
>>
>>8905175
you've got a point, but if that's the case I wish they'd just out and say it rather than hinting at us to still wait and listen for the announcement; i'm not in a financially good enough place to splurge on some super ott items right now only to realise i cant end up using them if they do suddenly announce a brand guest. I honestly dont even care either way anymore, I just want a solid answer about it once and for all (preferably sometime before I end up completely screwed over on shipping times)
>>
>>8904449
>Drug dealing Drum and Bass DJ

The few times I've been to the AN raves, they've been loud and obnoxious. I don't want some dude screaming rap lyrics at the top of his lungs while trying to keep up to nightcore on the stage.

Never heard Drum and Bass...
>>
>>8895388
Kancolle, bleach
>>
>>8904491
thirsty as fuck...
>>
>>8904872
You're treated great if you're cosplaying.
>>
>>8904491
>blaire
:^)
>>
>>8905251
lmao you're so right. a few years ago I just heard that guy rapping over the nightcore and just couldn't hold in my laughter. where does anime north find these people? it's almost bad as the "climate change panel"
>>
>>8906187
skinny guy cosplaying Kamina? he's been there every year i've went. It's hilarious.
>>
What are the odds the preacher guy shows up again this year?
People tried to stump him last year but stumbled all over their words
>>
Was there some sort of saltiness at the Kariya Park/Square One thing today? Saw this on Facebook but I trust about 0.5% of anything Antonio says ever.
>>
>>8907944
What exactly happened?
>>
>>8907944 >>8907956
The group that was running event didn't have a permit for their event and in Mississauga you need one if you have a gathering within a park for 25+ people(which is stupidly low) and no CHG staff were there, so Antonio and Jax stepped in and moved the event back to it's original location.

So it's CHG being salty about two people who know their shit about running events and city by-laws stepping up and running the event they couldn't even bother showing up for.
>>
>>8907944 >>8907956 >>8908096
Ontario Cosplay Community(As a whole) > Cosplay Hangout Group
>>
File: Screenshot (36).jpg (63KB, 638x133px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (36).jpg
63KB, 638x133px
>>8907944
Despite how stupid and shitty Antonio is, he was just following a general by-law within Mississauga.

Would have been better if they let the actually event runners make that call to move locations. But as >>8908096 said, they didn't even bother showing up for their own event.
>>
The organizer for CHG posted. Seems Antonio and crew scared alot of people with threats of being arrested and shit.

>To those went to our cosplay event today: I'm sorry for what happened when a couple of people from another cosplay community decided to aggressively enforce a city bylaw on us. While they did have some validity, they did not have the right to scare you guys and say people were gonna get arrested.
I admit I screwed up as well. I want people at our events to have fun and feel safe, so I will make sure this will never happen again. Hopefully some of you guys still had fun regardless. Thanks to all who attended today and still have our backs. Without you, there would be no CHG.
>>
>>8908126
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm kinda glad Antonio and his friend lit this fire under Roger's ass. Maybe he will start doing things right and not break the law and get others in trouble to get his name and group out there more
>>
>>8908126
As someone who works for another GTA city, I can confirm that if you happen to break some of the local by-laws you can be arrested and/or fined at the order of city hall. Don't know if this applies to this parks by-law in Mississauga, but I'm glad someone stepped up today and prevented anyone from testing it
>>
>>8908096
>>8908102
Unrelated and I'm just curious but why do you keep formatting your posts with the quotes like that? Just doing them line by line will suffice.

>>8908138
>>8908126
Now the thought of cosplayers being arrested is a little harrowing. Has it ever happened in the GTA before?
>>
>>8908126
I listened to what Antonio and Jax both had to say today at the event and they really seem to know what they were talking about and since getting home after the event I went and looked up as much of the Mississauga by-laws and rules as I could and I just gotta say that Roger seems just as idiotic as Antonio.

I will not be attending any more CHG meetups after today and I still can't bring myself to supporting Antonio in any way. But he has earned back some favor today with possibly preventing things from getting outta hand.

Maybe Roger if you wanna be on the ball with things in the future arrive to your own event on time and not have others press this upon your appointed "supervisor"
>>
>>8908154
He had a supervisor? kek
Just show up to your own event on time.
I didn't attend, how messy was all of it?
>>
>>8908172
Yeah he appointed some weeb girl to look after the event until he or one of the other official event runners showed up. But they never did and that's when Antonio and Jax took action of the event. As the person Roger left in charge was totally useless in looking after anything other then her fursuit head. And it didn't get that messy, they simply explained the by-law to us and everything and everyone listened. It wasn't until Roger's right hand man showed up that he got heated with Antonio and Jax about taking charge of a runnerless event
>>
So the main thing I'm getting from this whole OCC/CHG thing is that when someone tells someone else the facts and how the real world works, the other group get's all salty that they just can't go to a park with 30/40/50+ people and just run roughshot over it. Kinda like what CHG did at their High Park picnic, that poor birthday party that they kinda crashed and that beach after they left it covered in garbage
>>
>>8908215
>that poor birthday party that they kinda crashed

Now I didn't hear about this. What happened here?
>>
>>8908221
He supposedly booked his event for Picnic Zone 3(near the parks entrance), but what he really wanted was Picnic Shelter 3(the area by the pool). So he or some attendees thought it be fine to go over to the picnic shelter and just take it over. Which a birthday party had rented out for the day.
>>
So basically, Roger messed up but Antonio wanted to capitalize on it? That's what I'm seeing here.
>>
>>8908267
Antonio ran a great cosplay events group before starting FrostCon. And letting Roger poorly run events for a few years. I kinda welcome a return of OCC to the community events seeing if it means making Roger and CHG go away FOREVER!!!
>>
>>8908278
>FOREVER!!!

Someone sounds a bit riled up.
>>
>>8908281
I am. I've only been trying to tell people for months how poor Roger is at managing his events. And now that someone I've disliked for some time is making it also clear to others and restarting his groups events. Just eats me up inside. Do I support the useless events runner(Roger) or the attention seeking events runner(Antonio)
>>
If I recall correctly very few cosplay meetups have ever had a permit, going back to even the original picnics run by Elemental and Pan. Centre Island is big enough and Toronto cops and elected officials usually have better things to do than nag cosplayers. So before now, I've never seen the matter of permits become an issue? But Mississauga I can see how people running the city would be petty and bored enough to crack down on something like this.

It definitely makes me trust CHG less but definitely not Antonio any more. It sounds an awful lot like he was just trying, once again, to seize the opportunity to feel and look like an authority of some sort.
>>
What I don't understand is why Antonio showed up to begin with? He knew his presence would cause shit. He should have sent off a message to Roger saying the city contacted him blah blah and left it at that. If shit happened it would have been on Rogers hands.
Making an appearance probably didn't help the situation much.
>>
>>8908307
>>8908314
Could be the fact that he's already planning something in 'Sauga next month, so knowing that there was something there this month could have complicated things so he decided to step in or something.
>>
>>8908317
I hope it was for a reason such as that, but who really knows. Guess we'll just have to wait for his group to release this official statement their getting from the city and if they switch the location of their event. Because just looked and Kairya Park is allowed to have picnic gatherings within it
>>
>>8908314
>>8908317
You're really trusting Antonio to not start shit?
>>
>>8908330
Yes. Because he said he and Jax only showed up to yesterday's event to look after the best interests of the cosplay community and I believe him. But if he didn't want whats best he could have just stayed away and let the city runs it's power over the event and it's unknowing attendees and with doing so possibly lose his events permit for it's date next month. But again I will take it with a grain of salt because his motives do start off good, but then always go sour
>>
>>8908327
>Because just looked and Kairya Park isn't allowed to host picnic gatherings, it's a photography park
>>
>>8908349
it doesn't sound like he has altruistic motivations. he seems slimy, sneaky and opportunistic, with a penchant for salty passive aggressive behavior. like when he ran that cosplay skating event concurrently with anime shogatsu, and started spamming social media stating it was the premier anime and cosplay event that day. he wasn't looking out for the community's best interest back than, neither is he doing so now.

all he's doing right now is reframing the situation to make it out like he's the hero while he's covering his own interests.
>>
>>8908426
Yep. He pointed out a legitimate legal issue, then ran a fucking marathon with it since he just wants to start shit with anyone running anything cosplay related that isn't him.
>>
Anyone else disappointed with AN guest roster? I'm honestly a bit surprised thinking that the 20th anniversary would actually mean something to them in actually getting decent guests. Guess I'm naive to think things might change?
>>
Why is everyone calling this an "event"? I walked by the group around 2 just as they were leaving and it was maybe 15 people tops.
Also getting arrested for being in a park with other people sounds pretty dystopian, I doubt anyone would've actually got in trouble
>>
>>8908809
I attended it and we had more then 25 people when we started leaving Kariya, so you just probably saw the main group of people who were heading for Celebration Square. And I guess we went for better safe than sorry
>>
>>8908656
Guests have been announced as late as April 14th or maybe even later. We still have over a month before we start getting worried.

But I agree. The lack of actual anime-related guests for an anime convention doesn't really make sense to me, unless they're really pulling out all the stops and will get more people in the coming weeks.
>>
File: collage.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
Seems someone from OCC has stepped up and made a formal apology for everything, yet it seems some members of CHG just want to continue the drama. This crap is only a day old and I'd already tired of it, being a friend of both groups staff
>>
After this thread dies, can we please have a Canada thread, including Ontario...

Quebec feels lonely without you.
>>
>>8908950
Make a Canada general. I'm sure there's someone in Manitoba who wants to talk about conventions too.
>>
>>8908952
I want you guys to join in too.
>>
>>8908930
For a "Formal apology" this sounds more like "sorry we got caught in our bs"
>>
>>8908965
To you it sounds like that. But to someone who knows logic, dislikes drama and legal PR practices. This is a passable apology
>>
>>8908930
While I agree that CHG staff were stupid to not be there for their own event and to make sure everything when ok, it is clear that the OCC was just starting shit. It isnt the first time people have done cosplay stuff in kariya park and it has been over 25 people for every one I have seen happen, and never have I heard anyone getting arrested.

Same for taking photos, technically you need a permit to take any sort of 'group' photos. I know they care for grad time and wedding photos but I have never seen anyone stop cosplayers from doing exactly that.
>>
>>8909021
The apology sounds disingenuous and his actions were counter-intuitive to say the least. If you already contacted the organizers of CHG about the issue, and they more or less ignored you, than why would you bother showing up to their event? IMHO they already practiced due diligence by contacting them and informing them of the situation. They had no reason to go out of their way and attend the event unless they had an ulterior motive behind it. Which is of course to stir shit up, and it's exactly what they did. They can claim it was for the betterment of the community at large, but that's a fib on their part.
>>
This makes me wonder how CHG got away with any of the past events.
Especially things like the giant watermelon smashing. Surely they should've been stopped for things like that.
They've been doing this since 2014, but only now are they going to enforce the bylaws thanks to good guy Antonio stepping up to defend Mississauga kek
Tbh after all the shit they've done to their past event locations (littering, disrupting wedding photos, etc) they probably deserve some karma.
>>
>>8909145
I think the idea was that they wouldn't want any cosplayers getting arrested since again, Antonio's already planning something in the park for next month so that wouldn't bode well for him, hence why he decided to step in.

Though given that this was a mistake that Roger made, I feel like Antonio is doing his best to I guess rub it in and lord it over Roger as much as he can or something, I dont know.
>>
>>8909054
Just taking a guess how it's becoming a problem now is new cosplay groups are popping up and just creating events where is the longer standing groups have been following the local by-laws for years and that groups like CHG are causing problems for groups like OCC with the local permit bookings departments. But really idk and I don't care about this crap any more.

>>8909145
Well they might have attended it as they stated that the city threatened them with pulling their permit for their April event if things happened at the CHG event. So they probably went out to talk directly with staff and save their event along with the attended event.

>>8909156
They probably got away with until now because no one has been reporting their events to local police. But I hope that changes after this and they start either smartening up or getting cracked down on more.

>>8909158
Probably that's just it. But who really knows for sure
>>
CGL where Antonio is hated hard when it is about Frostcon and suddenly a hero for indirectly getting shit stirred up here.
>>
>>8909188
He's more a better hero than Roger. But is still a piece of shit. Just a nice piece of shit
>>
>>8909194
Exactly how is he more of a hero? Other than this, what has Roger done that makes him any less heroic? I seriously questioing if any of theses so called "Antonio" fans here are infact just OCC staff posting in his support.
>>
/cgl/ is not nearly as friendly as they're making themselves out to be. There's already a tight knit group that won't talk to you.
>>
>>8900146
You know she native always on that drank
>>
It would likely be the organizers who get fined / in trouble and not all the people who showed up. The cosplayers who showed up would probably just be told to disperse

>>8908307
I believe Toronto needs a permit for 200 people. The early Centre Island cosplay picnics were probably low enough in attendance to not really flag anyone's attentions. It also helps that the island is quite a large area, cosplayers can (and do) spread out. Plus the picnics only used to be once or twice a year in the summer.

Now these events have higher attendance and happen on almost a monthly basis if not more.

So look at it this way:
Kariya park is NOT as big as centre island, it's not even that large of a park. It is right next to people's backyards, a residential area. Mississauga requires permits for gatherings of over 25 people and the facebook event page said 377 people were invited with 61 people interested in showing up.

You definitely want a permit and to have the event in the right area, because it's not a casual gathering anymore.
>>
many bylaws are enforced on a complaint-basis only. gotta love antonio instigating shit with his "investigations."
>>
Antonio has claimed that the city of Mississauga has repeatedly mistaken him to be the organizer of CHG events. He had sooo many opportunities to put them in true contact with the right people. There are so many holes in this story it's ridiculous.
>>
>>8908215
imagine actually believing that a kid's birthday parties would be ruined by people dressed up in anime and fantasy costumes milling about nearby. the delusional saltyness is unreal
>>
>>8909556
I was one of the coslayers who was in the group that went over and "crashed" the birthday party. Yes the kids loved it, but some of the parents(probably the ones who paid for that area) didn't seem all that pleased that we were there. But like hey, we made people laugh and smile. So he's not all that delusional in making the "crashing" claims
>>
File: sarcasm_detector.jpg (59KB, 628x569px) Image search: [Google]
sarcasm_detector.jpg
59KB, 628x569px
So who got a table this year? Isn't a raffle only system just the best?
>>
MTAC /Toronto Comicon meet up next weekend?
>>
>>8909853
I am down. Maybe we can get dinner
>>
>>8909239
The IRC people won't talk to me but that's about it
>>
>>8908890
I'm rather offended that there's these random people that AN has the gall to call guests when one can barely find their contributions online.
>>
>>8910378
That's kind of how I feel about a lot of them. Sure they're cheaper than a big guest, but I feel like the total fans for all the cheaper guests doesn't even add up to the number of fans one popular Japanese or even English voice actor or maybe industry member would have.

From what I know, though, AN is notoriously hard to request guests for so I'm not sure if there's anything we can do or if we just have to sit back and make the best of whoever we do get.
>>
>>8909853
nah, got tickets to the zelda symphony saturday; imho that's a better use of my money than mtcc (though perhaps a gull meetup might have made it worthwhile, who knows)
>>
>>8910738
Are you going to cosplay to the symphony?
>>
>>8910760
Maybe? the nicest cosplay from the series that I currently have finished and intact unfortunately needs a giant hoopskirt (so not so concert friendly), but I bought some extra fabric the other day and might quickly revamp some pieces from my shitty old Saria cosplay into a generic kokiri girl outfit
>>
>>8909839
nothing for me :c This would have been my 10th year in the AA as well.
Probably going to just buy a Saturday pass, it's going to feel really weird just going as an attendee. More time to work on my inkling cosplay though!
>>
Does anyone else hate the lottery system for artist alley for Anime North? It's not really giving anyone a fair shot. Just hope they pull your randomly selected number? Literally two months before the con.
>>
>>8912073
I think it's almost a running gag with AN and how horribly mismanaged it is for a convention it's size. It's almost like a game for them to see how much crap they can pull and still get away with.
>>
>>8910643
Absolutely. Might as well saved up and not even paid for all the fees for these no names. AN's ticket sales are doing really great this year too so it's disappointing. I just hope that we get a Japanese featured guest this year.
>>8912405
I remember how hectic autographs are and I don't even want to think about how bad the internal management is. Heck, even volunteering looks unstable.
>>
>>8912073
The lottery is fake anyway if you haven't noticed. It's so Jessica can be lazy, just put in the artists she likes and then tell everyone else to fuck off. How else is it possible that the AA doesn't have more awful artists?
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-15+at+01.18.13).png (9KB, 416x121px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-15+at+01.18.13).png
9KB, 416x121px
So party convention it is (again)
>>
>>8912695
link to that post i cant find it
>>
Imagine being so butthurt from the colossal failure of that skating meet from the same day as Shogatsu that you begin a personal crusade to ruin other people's fun under the veil of responsibility. Nothing would have happened to anyone if it weren't for Antonio's meddling. Who else believes that this "official filing" from the City of Mississauga is never going to surface? I will be genuinely surprised if it does change anything. The narcissism levels are off the scale . Nobody believes your sob stories of them threatening to take away your permit. Antonio, the world of cosplay does not revolve around you.
>>
>>8912713
Found the same thing being posted on the AN forums. Seems as if they're just trying to stall for time so that people won't cancel their ticket orders
http://teahousemaplemoon.proboards.com/thread/2278/guest-suggestion-thread
>>
>>8874923
Jnig was a guest at Fan Expo a couple of years ago, bailed on her commitments, and wasn't invited back. I would guess the AN people know this.
>>
>>8912695
How is this reasoning even okay? AN has millions of dollars at their disposal. Other, smaller shows are doing all kinds of American and Japanese guests. This is bullshit.
>>
>>8912838
Shut up with this already. Both sides have given their statements. And regardless of Antonio meddling, it does change the fact that Roger and CHG ignored the warnings and broke the law with their event. So drop the witch hunt and drama and move onto AN planning and what not
>>
>>8913267
Why would anyone shut up until Antonio comes through? Depending on the severity of the threats re: possible arrests, it's actually fairly serious and should not be forgotten lightly.
>>
>>8913392
Breaking municipal by-laws can lead to fines and/or arrest(if done multiple times). So he wasn't making threats, but stating possible outcomes to the situation. Don't believe this, go ask your local city hall's by-law enforcement. Now for the sanity of the community, let this go and leave it to CHG, OCC and Mississauga to work out
>>
>>8913405
Stating the possible outcome of a situation can be a threat. I wasn't there so I can't speak to whether or not the tone taken by Antonio was threatening or merely informative. Some people seem to have been pretty terrorized, though. Until Antonio comes forth publicly with the full documents from the City of Mississauga, there's no reason to believe that he isn't just starting shit because he's a salty, butthurt autist.
>>
>>8913413
Antonio had many, many opportunities to put the City of Mississauga in direct contact with the organizers of CHG. He didn't do that. Instead he just waited to scare everyone and cause a drama bomb to boost his own popularity. I guess Shogatsu's upcoming has him deathly afraid of Frostcon becoming irrelevant.
>>
>>8913413
If you weren't at the event than don't comment towards things you have nothing to supply to besides drama and hate. I was there and he and Jax used a civil tone when they explained it to us and Roger and crew lied about them threatening attendees
>>
>>8913418
Shogatsu was shit. FrostCon has nothing to fear. Also he's no longer the one calling the shots over there
>>
>>8913434
The possible threatening tone is the least of anyone's concern. The real issue is someone claiming to be acting in good faith when they were not.
>>
>>8913267

Ignore that Antonio broke criminal law by harassing and extorting CHG with legal threats.

Ignore that Antonio has no legal right to enforce city by-laws.

Ignore that Antonio could potentially shut down your cosplay gathering through illegal methods.

Get plannin' for AN folks!
>>
>>8913449
That right now seems to depend on who you ask or talk to. Roger, his close friends, 4chan and CHG "fanatics" will say he was doing the wrong thing. Well Antonio, his friends, people who don't care for drama and know common sense and OCC "fanatics" will say he was doing the right thing.
>>
>>8913454
Ignore that Roger has broken by-laws several times with his events
>>
>>8913457
There's no doubt that Mississauga requires a permit. I mean, we're talking about cosplayers. They would never infringe upon any laws. ESPECIALLY not copyright laws. Everything in the cosplay community is 100% legal. Even the subtitles. There is no gray area at all. There is no wiggle room. It's so easy to define the CHG gathering as a "group" of 25+ but the truth is that cops rolled by the Kariya park last year where there was literally hundreds of people in cosplay and they did not care one bit and no fines were issued. They understood that the cosplay gathering was beyond the scope of any one individual and is not the traditional birthday party, wedding, family picnic, etc. The sad truth is, Antonio had an axe to grind. Nobody should believe his story that his permits were at risk. He's just an instigator, and should be ashamed of himself.
>>
Bylaws are enforced when someone complains. Antonio complained. That's why they were going to 'show up at the park anyway'
>>
>>8913454
He wasn't threatening anyone that day. His and Jax tones were very common and matter-of-fact. Vimey though used a threatening tone when we confronted them. He has already said dozens of times and so have other that were in attendance that he wasn't there to enforce the by-laws for the city, but that they just wanted a face-to-face chat with CHG organizers. Pfffft, he doesn't have that much power, only in his own group he does.
>>
>>8913474
The enforcement of the bylaw began long before they ever decided to visit Kariya Park on Saturday. It was a premeditated plan to screw things up. They had SO many opportunities to put these supposed City officials in touch with CHG but they did not.
>>
So who's going to Comiccon? Cosplay plans?
>>
>>8913446
Lol wow, is this basically confirmation that the Frostcon staff is scared of Shogatsu?
>>
>>8913491
No. This is someone who's attended both events and giving their opinion. Shogatsu was shit and FrostCon was enjoyable.

>>8913490
I'll be there, got my Ahri and Scarlet Witch cosplays all ready
>>
>>8913490
I'll be attending. No cosplay plans, but will be shooting a few cosplayers
>>
>>8913469

But the actual authorities never showed up in the park.

Instead Antonio and Jax acted as authorities on behalf of the city of Mississauga.

They then proceeded to harass Roger's attendees, telling them if they did not leave, they would be arrested.

This is actually a criminal action.
>>
>>8913490
I'm going to be volunteering
>>
>>8913508
Did you attend the event or just listening to what Roger and his staff have said. Because if you didn't attend, please stop commenting and let it go. Leave this for Antonio, Roger and whomever at Mississauga city hall to handle, because all we are doing here is dragging it out and creating more drama then is needed
>>
>>8913497

Are you talking about the shit show that was FrostCon's bag check? Or the panelists that suddenly decided their panel wasn't happening. Or the fun back entrance that every one could sneak into FrostCon for free?

Shogatsu definitely had it's problems, but at least they had enough volunteers to actually run the event properly.

FrostCon 3.0 was a nightmare and a joke of a con. The only good part about it was the "free" admission.
>>
>>8913510
Wicked. What area you volunteering in?
>>
>>8913511
Leaving it to Antonio, Roger and Mississauga City Hall to handle is the absolute LAST thing that should happen. There needs to be a level of trust and accountability in community organizers for community to be effectively served.
>>
>>8913454
wait...whos antonio? im new to AN only having been last year
>>
>>8913519
I'm assuming I'm going to be in the kids zone or greeter or a floater again. They're releasing the schedule tomorrow so I'll know for sure then.
>>
>>8913523
Asking that here will just get you skewed and drama fuelled responses
>>
>>8898190
A word about the chip cards, almost all debit/credit card readers in Canada are now chip+PIN. I have heard over in Yankee-land you're doing chip+signature for credit cards for some retarded reason so don't forget your PIN.
>>
>>8899338
If you're a small time convention seller merchant fees can really eat into your margins.
>>
>>8913523 >>8913537
Also if you ask on facebook you'll also get a skewed, but less drama filled response
>>
>>8913523
Antonio is the Donald Trump of the Ontario Cosplay Scene
>>
>>8913546
You might be able to ask to sign instead of doing PIN, but I'm not 100% on that.
>>
>>8913560
Okay there Mitt Romney, calm yourself
>>
File: 1455460056668.png (231KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1455460056668.png
231KB, 500x375px
So my friends bailed on me on going to toronto comic con.
Apparantly a house party is more fun

Welp. So much for my first con

Can anyone direct me to where i might find people needing a hotel roomie?
>>
>>8913500
Could you not? Itll shutdown the con for sure
>>
>>8913587
Not literally shooting. But like photoshoots. Geez people these days and their gun minds :p
>>
>>8909145
From what I've seen on this thread it looks like one group was running around ignoring local permit laws and the other group got a call from city hall simply because they were the ones known to the officials from obtaining previous permits. It's understandable that the second group's management would want to avoid being grouped with troublemakers for being the in same "cosplay kids" category. If some bureaucrat in a windowless office somewhere decides they're getting too many complaints of noise or littering they could well deny future permits. While taking over someone's event is sketchy even if temporarily, doing so because the organizer themselves is AWOL is simple self-preservation for the immediate event and future cosplay events.
>>
It's only a matter of time until the truth comes out that Antonio has been lying about pretty much everything relating to this situation.
>>
>>8913597
Or that he's telling the truth and we just can't fathom that. But I don't really care anymore. I just wish to move on and talk about Comicon and AN stuff
>>
>>8913581
>planning a group room for convention
>not planning for at least some to flake or bail out at last minute
>>
File: breakout_logo11.png (9KB, 324x179px) Image search: [Google]
breakout_logo11.png
9KB, 324x179px
Does /cgl/ go to game conventions? I just found out this thing is going on this weekend: https://breakoutcon.com/
It's all-night tabletop board games and card games. Should I post in /tg/ instead?
>>
>>8913616
I kind of pushed them to go with me since they arent the type to really goto conventions or watch anime
>normie friends
And its my first con i didnt really think of a contingency plan
>>
>>8913613
Hi Antonio/Jax. Glad you could make it to another place you're not welcome
>>
>>8913686
Give it a rest already. Antonio has said many a time that he doesn't post here and I know what we say doesn't get to Jax.

>>8913618
I'd go, but it's this weekend and everyone going to be at Comicon
>>
>>8913593
FINALLY!!! Someone get's it. Now can we please just move along and talk about Comicon, An, YetiCon, ConBravo stuff more
>>
>>8913702
I'll be attending Comicon, AN and Bravo. Yeti I'm still on the fence about
>>
>>8913711
I'm not sure how good the the actual con for yeticon will be but I've been to Blue Mountain Resort before and when its nice out it is a really pretty and fun place.
>>
>>8913720
That's what I've heard. Just don't know if the con would be worthwhile to attend
>>
File: antrolls.jpg (113KB, 1112x437px) Image search: [Google]
antrolls.jpg
113KB, 1112x437px
>>8912695
It's rather hilarious seeing AN closing their guest suggestion thread due to trolls, even though they've been trolling us for years! Sure the Canadian dollar took a dive, but than how do you explain all your other craptacular guests in previous years when the dollar was strong?
>>
>>8914306
It wasn't even trolls. It was people who were calling out on this guest bullshit.
We just got a new guest too, some weaboo band.
>>
>>8914433
Literally who
>>
>>8914579
They're called Red Handed Denial

Which is also my cover band for Anime North's excuses for not having a real guest roster that includes anyone anime or J-culture related.
>>
Is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Toronto Comic Con's guests and schedules? I can't see a cosplay contest on the schedule, I don't see any big panels (not that they have many big stars besides Riker, the guy from starship troopers, robbie amell and the guy who created deadpool)

Then they bring in the cast from sailor moon and dont bring in the voice of the geeky guy who lives and works in toronto??
>>
>>8913560
so hes a great guy? why is everyone mad?
>>
>>8913446
Isn't Shogatsu just Unplugged anyways?
>>
>>8914639
He isn't great. But he isn't as shitty as people here make him out to be. He's passable and just okay. There are worst and better people in the community
>>
>>8914639
Because it has since come out that calls had been made to the City of Mississauga and learned that the City had absolutely no investigation going on. There was ABSOLUTELY no chance of fines being laid to ANYONE. Even with Antonio calling their department repeatedly filing complaints they were NOT going to take action. The city was NOT going to be visiting the park that day with the intent to bust cosplayers. It just wasn't going to happen, and Antonio is a liar. The proof is that Antonio's cosplay event was moved to Port Credit. This is because through-out this investigation, it was learned that permits for Kariya park for events like this can't be given out. All the stuff about his permits being taken away was a complete fabrication. Permits CANNOT BE GIVEN to Kariya Park for this type of gathering!
>>
>>8915431
So he was claiming his permits were being threatened when those permits couldn't even be acquired in the first place? LOL
>>
>>8915431
Ah, so now why we know why those "official filings from the city" will never be posted.
>>
>>8915431
It's so funny to imagine expecting people to believe that the City of Mississauga agreed to let him 'monitor' the Cosplay Hangout Group.
>>
>>8914648
It seems to have some overlapping staff but now that the event has actually gone it's been shown that they are quite different. Even if Unplugged's previous timeslots weren't too well received there's no reason to believe they can't keep improving their Winter event.
>>
>>8915431
Your proof on him lying about the fines and files? Otherwise your lying
>>
>>8915498
So without any proof, all parties are considered to be lying?
>>
>>8915498
>The proof is that Antonio's cosplay event was moved to Port Credit
>>
>>8915431 >>8915442 >>8915450 >>8915453
I've talked with OCC staff and they have been contacting city hall about getting the reports and files. So they are still coming. So just can it with your hate and witch hunt. So let's move on, the deeds are done and both sides have said all they will and are trying to move on. But people like you are holding anyone back in the past from doing just that.
>>
>>8915500
Until the time OCC does or doesn't release their final public statement on the matter, anyone else is lying.

>>8915501
That can prove many things. Not just lying.
>>
>>8915506
Why would anyone move on now that the truth is known? Why wouldn't you want abuse to be exposed? There is nothing to move on from until Antonio admits that he has been making things up and has hurt others. It might've been in the supposed best interest of the community, to keep it safe, but unfortunately he was wrong and needs to take full responsibility by apologizing. The whole thing reeks of a patriarchal sense of "Father Knows Best" ... Antonio does not not get to decide what is best for the cosplay scene.
>>
>>8915431 >>8915442 >>8915450 >>8915453 >>8915498 >>8915500 >>8915501 >>8915506 >>8915510
Will you all just stop! Both CHG and OCC have admitted their faults in this matter and that they themselves will work to solve any future issues professionally. Having a dramafest, witch hunt, drink the haterade and all the stuff we do here, only hinders the community. When both groups are trying to unity it
>>
>>8915510
Right. So until OCC does release it's final public statement why should we move on?

>>8915519
Actually, the actions of Antonio that day directly serve to divide the cosplay community. Especially if he was straight up lying about the city's ongoing investigations of CHG. It was him, and only him that was investigating anything! There would have been no problem if it weren't for his toxic attitude! Now there IS a problem and it's sad to imagine people just letting him get away with treating cosplayers like such garbage!
>>
>>8915516
Nothing is known by anyone here besides what either side has said. So all we can continue to do is point fingers and hate on each other. This is the only place that is still dragging anyone through the mud
>>
>>8915525
That's entirely correct. Until OCC posts their statement, there is no way to prove either side's allegations. That's why the proof is in that OCC moved their gathering to Port Credit - it was only discovered within the past few days that getting a permit for Kariya was impossible. According to Antonio's sob story of how they threatened his permits... that isn't possible. There was no permit to be threatened.

The type of lies Antonio has engaged in are pretty sickening, and to be done by a community organizer is just sad. It's the same type of crap that happens when someone is accused of rape. "Well, you can't prove either side!" The truth is, Antonio raped CHG.
>>
>>8915528
Ever thought that they could have submitted a new permit with a new location? Guess not, because hating is better then using commonsense
>>
>>8915537
Common sense dictates that if Antonio was lying about an ongoing investigation by the city of Mississauga, then there's nothing to be afraid of. Kariya Picnics could proceed as planned with nothing to fear. It also says that he's a piece of shit and that this should not be forgotten lightly until he fully apologizes and tells the truth.

Unfortunately, common sense now says to protect yourself from Antonio because he will terrorize your event and ruin it based on dubious claims.
You're right that the phone conversation where the City employee said no fines would have been given out last Saturday cannot be proven ultimately so people will always have an element of fear in them to throw an event at Kariya Park from now on.
>>
>>8913689 Antonio just posted "Fuck Everything" on his FB. I guess he's reading this? Someone giving him the downlow?
>>
>>8915550
Pics or didn't happen?
>>
>>8914624
It rustles the fuck out of my jimmies that a bunch of cosplayers are on the guest roster but there's no masquerade or cosplay contest. Makes said cosplayers look pretty bad and like they wouldn't know how to judge something like that. I thought a few of them at least had some awards under their belt so theoretically could?
>>
>>8915550
Eh, he's posting more stuff now. Like "I'm done. I'm out......" Anyone who's friends with him on FB can see that. I won't post pictures to give him more of a chance to delete it, and apologize properly. The guys got some noble ambitions but his delusion and conceit seems to have got in the way.
>>
>>8915545
Or that he was right and the City declined OCC's permit because of everything that has gone on between CHG and OCC staff and the unpermitted event(s) CHG hosted in Mississauga. Now let this thread die in silence and everyone go about working on comicon, AN or whatever other con their are prepping for
>>
>>8915565
Nah, that's absolutely untrue. The only permit that can be gotten at Kariya is for wedding photography. They don't just issue permits for other stuff. It has to be an event proposal to the city for them to consider. That is completely different than the bylaws of 25+ people that Antonio and crew were referencing. That bylaw has nothing to do with why a gathering like this can't get a permit in Kariya. There's no reason to go on in silence until Antonio apologizes.
>>
Ok can everyone just stop. At this point both sides have apologized for what has occurred over the weekend. These kinds of posts are just starting to get everything heated again. CHG actually canceled some events so they can get the proper papers so this situation does not happen again. And OCC would explain the situation better. We all can't move forward if these angry posts keep showing up.

As for OCC moving locations I think it's because City Hall did decline there permit because of many reasons(ie. Kariya Park not being a picnic park and CHG breaking the by-laws and taking it out on them too). But I can't fully prove that as I don't work for Mississauga and neither does anyone here. So quit talking about things you have no business or knowledge about.
>>
>>8915576
What? Antonio apologized for making up stories about on-going investigations and risks of fines being given? He took responsibility for calling in complaints to the city? Can you please link it here? I can't find it.
>>
>>8915572
Hate to say it but we are the only site that is making noise. And all we got two different sides, nothing from Mississauga and HATE
>>
>>8915592
The truth is, Kariya Park was not repurposed from an open space park to private photoshoots and relaxation only. That is all the proof that is needed.

Who cares about how much noise is being made? Again, I liken this situation to how people deal with accusations of rape. It can't be proven either way but it does not deserve to be forgotten. Antonio raped CHG.
>>
>>8915598
Actually one point in it's history, Kariya Park was allowed to host permitted picnics and events. As I've lived in the city all my life and remember seeing something about a community picnic there at one point. So at one point it was repurposed, but who knows when exactly is unknown.

Also your a little extreme in your thinking and should be ashamed for comparing this to rape.
>>
OCC claimed that the City was "possibly pulling our events permit for April and any future cosplay events at Kariya Park." https://www.fb.com/OntarioCosplayCommunity/posts/1103252253039456
Parks that can be booked out for picnics in Mississauga are listed. Kariya Park is not listed.
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/parks-picnic
>>
>>8915610
Yep. People can submit ideas to events to the city and they can approve or disapprove. It's a different process than simply getting a permit for 25+ people to have a picnic. That's the thing that Antonio and friends were going around spreading, saying CHG was in violation. The truth is, CHG was in violation for a completely different reason that OCC was likely not even aware of. It had nothing to do with having more than 25+ people. Technically, even "official events" of less than 25 people are not allowed in Kariya. In a way, no cosplay event, no matter how big or small, is TECHNICALLY allowed there at all.
>>
File: antonio-wat.png (12KB, 470x135px) Image search: [Google]
antonio-wat.png
12KB, 470x135px
>>8915614

Wait.

If Mississauga can't issue a permit for the park, then how could OCC have been at risk for having their events permit pulled?
>>
>>8915639
inb4 Anontonio lies again and claims that they were in the process of getting that special events permit. Even if they had, it would have been declined anyway. CHG's past, present, and future has N O T H I N G to do with that.

Antonio and friends had absolutely no authority, and especially no instruction, to go around warning people they were going to be fined last Saturday.
>>
>>8915639
Realities reason - Only the City of Mississauga knows what's really going on here!
4chan's reason - Antonio's lying or something
My reason - I could really care less at this point.

Anyone going to ComiCon?
>>
>>8915610
Well, he is using the same tactics a rapist would use. Just lie, abuse plausible deniability, and try to get everyone to stop talking about it as much as possible. Unless Antonio apologizes truthfully there can be so resolution
>>
File: 1388116888080.png (35KB, 757x827px) Image search: [Google]
1388116888080.png
35KB, 757x827px
sauga drama on /cgl/ lel wut is life

>>8909239
ur probs just a dick
>>8897342
i wouldnt do it. molly is best con drug and its easy to find too
>>8898718
theres that one old guy that looks like the crypt keeper who yells a lot
>>8903586
if u get anxiety on weed, shrooms at a con is gonna be a real bad time lel
>>
I don't wanna stir shit up again but I had a family friend whom works with city of mississauga and I asked them about this kariya issue. This isn't an official reason or statement but its a 1st hand source.

For groups over 25 people and/or if you are planning a photoshoot on designated photo areas, you do need a permit, although it is up to the city to enforce the rules, not other civilians even if they do have good intentions. The other tricky thing is the permits are focused on wedding photography and there's not much in the rules about fashion or cosplay. The other thing is, they might still need a permit for the Port Credit park because its also considered a photo area.

What the problem comes down to is money. The city has a one track mind mostly focused on money. When the provincial budget gets drawn up Toronto is usually the center of attention and funds. So places nearby but not part of Toronto have to work their pennies harder, and because no politician ever wants to give up their fat paycheck Mississauga likes to turn a lot of things into an excuse to squeeze money out of people.

It's not that cosplayers are considered threatening or even an eyesore, they're not being targeted for discrimination. The city doesn't care what people do, just that they get the cash from those permits.

Depending on how the city reacts it might be better it to go back to Toronto for events since they have larger parks and don't micro manage communities.
>>
>>8915664
>Anyone going to ComiCon
still trying to decide if I'll go in, but for sure I'll hang out in the area.
>by "I'll hang out in the area" I mean "drink at the Steam Whistle"
>>
I'm going to go to Furnal Equinox for the first time on Saturday. Any tips?
>>
>>8888673
>>8888713
When will we know the tea party guest? There's only about 9 weeks until AN. Even something like "Hi, we're working on it and hope to announce it in the next 3 weeks." would be good.
>>
>>8915545
>people will always have an element of fear in them to throw an event at Kariya Park from now on.
Only if you're a deadbeat who ignores local permit by-laws.
>>
>>8916724
Die in a fire
>>
>>8917659
Please submit your phone, computer, and download/stream history for investigation, kek.

The idea of someone calling someone in cosplay a deadbeat for respectfully lounging in a park on a Saturday afternoon is simply delusional. You have a shit interpretation of the rule of law.
>>
>>8908930
>You caused a huge scare
>saying we were out of town and didn't know the laws

ignorance of the law is not an excuse
>>
>>8916724
Yiff in hell furfag
>>
Anyone want weekend + tea party tickets for AN? I'd deal with the AN registration email, but I hate how long PP takes and the additional fees.
>>
>>8915562
Can we get a screenshot? I doubt he'll ever apologize for being a douchebag.
>>
File: Cd3da6xUMAElBDQ.jpg large.jpg (121KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cd3da6xUMAElBDQ.jpg large.jpg
121KB, 960x720px
Breakoutcon seems to be doing pretty well for a first time thing.
>>
Anyone going to the dance Saturday night called Kawaii Bass? Looks like it could be fun.
>>
So at MTAC today I took a picture of a Ladybug cosplayer and some guy gave me a card and said "if you want to keep stalking your target online, here's her card."

The fuck?
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.