[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most amount of money you've ever spent on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 354676454err7.jpg (97KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
354676454err7.jpg
97KB, 960x960px
What's the most amount of money you've ever spent on a fabric? Most expensive costume you've made?
>>
I once spent $80 on a yard of Japanese silk.

Most I've spent on a whole cosplay is about $1500.
>>
I think the most expensive fabric I've bought was fake fur at $30/yard.

The most expensive costume I've ever made was around $700. 10 yards of bridal satin, 50 yards of organza, and then a floor length wig, drywall stilts, aluminum tubing and feathers for wings, and some Wonderflex. And ultimately it was still kind of rubbish because it was 2009 and I didn't know what I was doing.

>>8847907
Jesus, for $80 a yard it better have been a hagoromo or had unicorn-hair warp threads or something.
>>
>>8847904
I can't believe Yaya's fabrics cost 20-40 bucks a yard and you can't use coupons on them
>>
>>8848076
Dang! Is it actually nice fabric?
>>
>>8848076
>No coupons

Well damn. Unless I'm desperate, there's no way I'm buying any fabric at Joann without a coupon.
>>
>>8848076
maybe that's why it's COSTplay, cause it costs so much for her shit and is it the same quality as "store brand"?
>>
>>8848086
Yeah, pretty much same here. I only go to Joann when I need a really small quantity of something in a hurry, unless it's something I know I can get more cheaply with a coupon at Joann than full-price downtown. (Interfacing, muslin for mockups, etc are good examples of those.)
>>
>>8847904
Probably leather at like $35 a hide for most expensive fabric.

The most I've spent on a cosplay is probably $300-$400. And that's been a couple times.
>>
Most expensive fabric I've used was like $150 a yard silk, but I didn't pay for it.

Most expensive costume was probably 600-800. I don't think I've broken a k on one costume yet.
>>
My most expensive fabric was some pink wool, at £20pm, it;s absolutely gorgeous though so I have no regrets. I'm normally pretty good at finding nice fabric for cheap.

My most expenisve cosplay was Terra Branford. All the trims kept adding up to the point I no longer wanted to keep track haha
>>
>>8848076
How much of that is actual price and which is being pocketed?
Those prices are reserved for actual top material, not this bullshit.
Yaya Shkreli
>>
>>8848108
Where else do you buy?
>>
>>8848076
Pretty sure the "you can't use coupons" thing is not even confirmed.
>>
File: 1453094189692.png (388KB, 907x727px) Image search: [Google]
1453094189692.png
388KB, 907x727px
>>8847904
>Costplay
>>
>>8848076
You can use coupons. She said so herself.
>>
>>8848456
It will probably be marked on sale permanently. Say good bye to coupons.
>>
Most expensive fabric was $35/yd silk satin for Elizabeth from Bioshock (which I haven't finished making yet)

Most expensive costumes were both $2,000+
>>
>>8848629
silk velvet* not silk satin
>>
>>8848456
I will try it tomorrow.
>>
>>8848490
It's not going to go on sale until March for 25% off
>>
File: IMG_-f6wqk4.jpg (177KB, 1024x744px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_-f6wqk4.jpg
177KB, 1024x744px
Reminder that "$200-$600, sometimes even double" is apparently the cost of just raw materials for a cosplay
>>
>>8848812
maybe for people like me who ruin their materials a lot
>>
>>8848812
>dat simplicity lolita
>>
i generally try to shop around and get the best deal, even if i need something specialty...so the most i've spent per yard is probably in the $20-$25 range. for me, it's usually high yardage that ups the price....like i got 15 yards of heavyweight silk taffeta for $120 (after coupon) online a number of years back. max for a costume was probably $800, excluding wig.
>>
>>8848429
Fabric District, online, discount warehouses.
>>
>>8848812

Not if you're anything but a moron.
>>
>>8848812
>they are ranked below by popularity
what...
>>
>>8848183
Where did you find that? I only ever see USfags here, and it's not like we have a Joann's to go to.
>>
File: lols.png (750KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
lols.png
750KB, 900x600px
>>8848812
>putting Lolita under the cosplay moniker
>kek
>>
>>8847936
That's not really that outrageous a price for silk, anon. Lol. I've bought wool fabric for more.
>>
>>8847907
What did you do with only a yard (serious question, not trying to be rude. I always buy three because I make a lot of dresses)
>>
>>8849621
It was an impulse buy because it was so beautiful. I thought about making a Kimono for my BJD but that never happened because the design was too big for her scale and the weight of the fabric was slightly too much. I ended up giving it to my grandmother who likes to sew for her birthday but she has yet to do anything with it.
>>
>>8848429
I'm lucky enough to live in LA, so we have a whole neighborhood downtown of fabric shops. It's a hassle and you have to pay to park, so if I only need one yard of something for a detail or notions or thread or whatever, I'll just go to JoAnn.

When I lived in Sacramento, a much smaller city, there was still a quite good independent fabric shop, which focused on apparel fabrics and had a really good selection of basic solid poplins and stuff, and when I needed more exotic fabrics I'd make the two-hour drive to Fabrics R Us in San Jose rather than overpay for low-quality crap at JoAnn.
>>
>>8848438
>>8848456
I tried today when I came to work. I scanned the Ultrapreme and Brocade and used the 40% and 50%. They both worked. So use your coupons now because you won't get them that cheap because they'll be doing a 25% or 30% sale.
>>
>>8847907
Please show the $1500 cosplay anon. Pretty please!

For me $300 on feather's I meant to turn into a serious cosplay but never had time to make.
>>
Only 160 bucks on a tusken raider cosplay. I make a lot of paper mache costumes for local parades, out of the cheapest materials I can find. Part of the fun is budgeting.

My 160 dollar tusken cosplay is an improvement over my first tusken raider cosplay which cost about 70 bucks.
>>
>>8849688
What was the name of the store in Sac? Moving there soon so if you're ok with giving out your source, I'd love to know where I can get some decent fabric.
>>
>>8849617
I mean.. If you're daft enough to buy it from a severely overpriced Western store, maybe.

You can buy high-grade natural silk fabrics from the weaving factories for virtually nothing. $15 a yard.
>>
>>8852069
Poorfag detected.
>>
>>8852134
Overcompensating-for-something detected.
>>
>>8852145
Honestly I find it much more convenient to travel a short distance to my overpriced Western store, where I have the opportunity to see and feel my fabric in person and buy it right away instead of having to wait for tiny samples in the mail, and ultimately having to wait even longer for the fabric to arrive. I get to see how well it drapes, and also support a family owned business.

If I had a low income I might look for all the ways to cut costs and get the best deal, but I'm rich so paying extra for fabric isn't going to make me bankrupt. Only poor people consider it daft to pay high prices since it is for them, but they don't realize that for some people $80 is a really small amount of money.
>>
>>8849688
Wooo Fabrics R Us. What a weird wonderful store. I was just there this week.
>>
>>8849595
A luck ebay find! Sadly it was ages ago so the listing has ended
>>
>>8849688
I live near LA too. What are you favorite frequent places?

I mostly go to LA Alex because its a cheaper Micheal Levine store that labels their fabric. I'm scared of being suckered so I don't go to many other stores unless I have to since I'm not all that knowledgeable about fabric choice.

My favorite store is the Loft where sell fabric for $3 per lb. I remember when it used to be $2.25 per lb.
>>
>>8852471
It mostly stems from a bad experience that my friend had where she erroneously asked an attendant for fabric recommendation for her first cosplay and ended up spending $100 on silk.
>>
>>8848081
If it isn't obvious, absolutely not
>>
>>8849688
Seconding the request for the Sac store! NorCal resident who didn't get into cosplay until after leaving SoCal (and still haven't visited the LA fabric district...)
>>
File: 1440933001687.jpg (37KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
1440933001687.jpg
37KB, 500x395px
>>8852321
>This whole spiel just to end with "But I'm rich so.."

I was going to make a silly reply, but I honestly feel a little bad. I hope that one day you're able to feel happier when yourself as a person, anon.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.