[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't lurk here very often, but I just wanted to know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: snape-smiling.jpg (30KB, 477x540px) Image search: [Google]
snape-smiling.jpg
30KB, 477x540px
I don't lurk here very often, but I just wanted to know if there's like a "too soon" kind of unspoken rule about cosplay.
Would it be rude to Cosplay as Snape at any upcoming events, as an homage to his passing?
>>
>>8812761
My personal opinion is that cosplaying the character is fine, since you're cosplaying the fictional person and not the actor who played him in a movie. Cosplaying the actor or making note of his death is not fine. So Snape is good, but Snape in a halo is bad.
>>
>>8812770
The actor just died.
>>
>>8812770
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I didn't know Alan Rickman died today until just now. I thought you were talking about Snape.
>>
>>8812770
>how is that "too soon"
Alan Rickman, Snape's actor, just passed.

>>8812769
Ok, yeah that makes sense.
>>
>>8812776
See >>8812775
>>
Fucking God, only 14 days into 2016 and it's already been horrible.

It wouldn't be bad at all to cosplay Snape, so long as you're respectful and not something like a Tits-McGee genderbent version.
>>
>>8812796
I'm a guy.
If anything I was just going to see if I can get some makeup done, because my skin is a little on the brown side.
>>
>>8812796
I didn't wanna see a tits McGee Snape before he died either
>>
>>8812804
well shit, there goes my cosplay plans

>>8812796
let's bin 2016 and start over
>>
>>8812804
Nothing wrong with tits imo but since the guy is dead now it would be insanely disrespectful and selfish to try and whore attention from his character.
>>
Anyone who finds it rude to cosplay a character because the actor who played them died is really stupid and should be ignored.
>>
>>8812815
I'm never one to condone gender bending, but I don't see how tits!Snape is so disrespectful. First of all, it's not "his character", it's a character from a book that he played in the movie adaption. Second, cosplaying is always attentionwhoring even without tits, whether people want to admit it or not.
>>
>>8812838
I think it's more people doing it to capitalize on the timing to get more attention for themselves.

>person cosplaying Jareth from the Labyrinth gets nostalgia but otherwise ignored for popular series
>person cosplaying Jareth from the Labyrinth right after Bowie's death gets flocked to because suddenly even people who never saw the film recognize them because of the publicity of his passing

Not saying it's rude to cosplay a character just because the actor who played said character just died, it's that you shouldn't do it solely to capitalize on the attention you'd get from it or cosplay it in a way like someone else mentioned, like with a halo or wings or even RIP written somewhere.

So yeah, cosplay it if you truly appreciate the character. Don't do it if you're just looking to use it just for attention or you're trying to turn yourself into some kind of walking memorial for the actor.
>>
>>8812841
Different anon, but tits!characters are a more obvious kind of attention whoring than normal cosplay because the cosplayer clearly didn't pick the costume out of a desire to lovingly portray the character - they picked something that they knew would grab attention. Suddenly deciding to cosplay tits!Snape a few weeks after Alan Rickman's death would mean they picked the costume BECAUSE his death is in the news and on everyone's mind, thus they'll get more attention. Which as other people pointed out is petty.
>>
>>8812849
HP is probably the fandom you're gonna get the least attention in for sexy genderbends, though. If we're gonna discuss potentially tactless Snape cosplay, we should focus on the inevitable flood of awful yaoi photoshoots that will no doubt be coming. Not saying yaoi shoots can't be done well, but it's the HP cosplayers we're talking about here.
>>
>>8812843
I just need to point out how peculiar it is that two of the most beloved British men of all time with overlapping fanbases died three days apart at the exact same age both from cancer.
>>
>>8812867
Which makes it all the much worse, doesn't it? You end up sitting there wondering who's next since bad things come in threes.
>>
>>8812887
Tim Curry is also 69 and has declining health. I wonder if he's next.
>>
>>8812892
Don't go there, anon.
>>
>>8812892
Stahp
>>
>>8812892
Don't do this to my heart, anon.
>>
>>8812892
Look. /tv/ killed. /pol/ killed. /mu/ even killed Lemmy a week or two ago. Watch what you say.
>>
>>8812843
>I think it's more people doing it to capitalize on the timing to get more attention for themselves.
but how do you tell the difference between people doing that, and people who have renewed/newfound interest in something because the person's death drew attention to it?

I only watched Labyrinth for the first time this Wednesday, and my film club would have shown something else if he hadn't died.

>>8812867
hopefully this will lead to a lot of cancer research donations. gotta find a positive somewhere.
>>
>>8812994
Fairly easy, actually.
The person who's doing it because of renewed/newfound interest will spend the time to make the best costume they can.

The person doing it just to capitalize off the death in order to get more attention for themselves will be the first ones to toss together a costume and do a 'memorial photoshoot' or go to the next convention possible and probably wear their rushed/closet cosplay all weekend just to get as many comments/photos as they can, probably with a tacky RIP or "inspirational quote" sign.

It's the same with bandwagoners over the newest meme/fandom.
>>
>>8812892
I've been secretly expecting and dreading this.
>>
>>8812955
/mu/ also killed Bowie
>>
>>8813219
/mu/ didn't kill shit, bunch of faggots can't find their own dicks let alone predict anything

Bowie is still with us in spirit
>>
>>8812887
How old is Mana?
>>
>>8812769
Do Snape in a Halo. Mother of fucks sake it would be brilliant. I may do it. My hair is growing long again.
>>
>>8815472
>not using a wig
>>
>>8815405
immortal
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.