[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shuto Con 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: shutocon.jpg (9KB, 230x200px) Image search: [Google]
shutocon.jpg
9KB, 230x200px
So Shuto Con is happening in two months (or three if you're counting the one that we are currently in.) Anyone planning on attending? Cosplay plans?

I know I've heard a few negative things from it about /cgl/ but is it worth going?
>>
I'll be attending but am curious, what are the negative things from it?
>>
This is about an hour north of me and I didn't even know about it until a couple months ago.

Also interested in these "negative things". I might go regardless since it's not that much of a trip, but I'm curious.
>>
It's a good con but the tumblr influence has really gotten bad over the last couple years.
>>
>>8811617
People said the same thing about "tumblr influence " about Youmacon but I really didn't see any there.
>>
>>8811585
I can't speak for the last con because I've moved out of state, but I've gone every other year since it started. No con is ever perfect, but Shuto is probably my favorite. It's always had something reminiscent small-con atmosphere despite its size, the couple who runs it seem to be very dedicated and friendly people who do their job well, and the venue has a nice feel and solid layout between the convention center itself and the adjoining hotel.

Lansing city curfew can be a pain, and I'm not sure if the area surrounding the convention center is the nicest to wander around in (though Youma is considerably worse, in my opinion). I'm not sure how they're handling the space they have nowadays, either, since it seems to keep growing a good amount every year. If I remember correctly you're not technically supposed to bring outside food into the convention center, and the little food court thing inside is overpriced, but I always just opted to go to the hotel or somewhere away from the con to eat. The head does impose a very strong "safe space" mentality that could probably be very easily exploited by SJWs and tumblinas, although I've always stayed away from those crowds so I have no personal experience with anything like that, so I can't say anything one way or another about that particular aspect.

But honestly I've never heard criticism about this con that isn't standard to the average con. It's always been an "everybody knows everybody" homey sort of con for me personally, and I miss being able to go.
>>
The panel applications were first come first serve this year as far as time slots and the panelist get basically zero compensation (a T-shirt I think. No badge credit) so panels this year will probably be bad. Volunteers also have to pay for the badges and are getting paid in minimum wage instead, which I assume is so that the con can make back more money from taxes etc to make up for the loss they took on random battle con. It sucks because the volunteers will then have to deal with 1099 as well as having to buy a badge outright and then not getting anything until however long the con decides to wait to send out checks... it all seems super sketchy
>>
>>8811654
Oh god Random Battle Con. Why did they think it would be a great idea to start a new con Labor Day weekend in a college town?
>>
>>8811629
You'll definitely see it at shuto.
>>
>>8811936
But what exactly do you guys mean by "tumblr influence"?
>>
>>8812057
I'm the other Anon trying to find out and all I can gather from the archive is that the panels tended to touch on "social justice" topics or at least veer off in that direction, one of the owners is easily upset (apparently by the word weeaboo), and the whole "safe space" thing can get people in trouble but that wasn't clear.

Doesn't sound all that bad? But maybe the posts in the archive aren't giving enough detail.
>>
>>8811654
glad someone else sees it for what it is lol. AFAIK they don't give staff hotel rooms either so they actually save money paying them min. wage and forcing them to buy their own hotel.
>>
>>8812064

Yeah the con chair gets really upset over the word weeaboo. She raised a fuss over the word on the Shuto Con fb group and got shat on. Pic related is the fallout. She also gets triggered hard if you say Shuto Con as one word because it's so similar t Shotacon.
>>
>>8812150
What is this trend of con chairs being fat?
>>
I used to really like Shuto but they've started having Ask-a-Character panels and more SJW rubbish than actual content.
>>
>>8812057
She made a big post about how people shouldn't call themselves "weeaboo" or "anime trash", then deleted comments from people who disagreed. Then all the "Safe Space" stuff
>http://www.shutocon.com/safespace.html
>>
All the "safe space" emphasis looks pretty cringe, I'm with you guys 100%. But I've never felt it permeate into the con itself? There's so much talk about it on the site and Facebook page but none of it really rears its head on the con floor itself. Unless I've been extremely lucky or somehow steering clear of it. Cons generally aren't huge anti-safe space events, anyway.
>>
>>8812381

Something tells me that she got called a weeaboo a lot in school.
>>
I went for a day last year for giggles and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
>>
>>8812324
Have you run a con before? It's all needless stress, comfort eating and drinking. Thet types prone to run cons normally have some huge self esteem short fall.
>>
>>8812621
I never miss a gym day. Look up "endorphins".
Cows have something to learn.
>>
So if I live in southeast Michigan, in the AA area, is it worth traveling to Lansing for this? because I heard that this year there are several more small cons that are going to be popping up around this area.
>>
>>8813164
I'd say so! A lot of this thread seems to be focusing on details that have very little effect on the con as a whole.
>>
I usually go every year with my buddies. If you go with friends, its hard to have a bad time really. If you look out for negatives, you'll find them. Homestuck, lots of young kids etc. The first time i went, the only bad thing for me was going into the 'Battle Arena'
The kid who was a staff member battling people had a hole in his pants and his dick literally popped out from him bouncing around. Made the whole thing very uncomfortable for anyone battling him. Other than that, pretty solid time. Looking forward to this year. Also last year i cosplayed as Flapjack and dressing up as something does make the con a lot more enjoyable.
>>
>>8816922
>had a hole in his pants and his dick literally popped out from him bouncing around.
Like, multiple times? How do you not notice that? I mean I would think there would be some sort of drafty feelings?
>>
>>8816955
I only saw it once, then heard others talking about it. I thought the same thing. He literally had no clue. This one guy that was fighting him was trying to keep his distance because he saw it out, and the kid was just pressing forward trying to win the battle.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.