[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime Los Angeles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 48

Since it's right around the corner are any SoCal seagulls going to this?
I've never been to it, so what can I expect?
General discussion about this con.
>>
Fuck you I was gonna make this thread

This is a fun social con, expect parties, a wide variety of cosplay, meetups and cool artists

This con is moving locations as you might have guessed so it'll be interesting to see how it goes
>>
Planning too. Especially now since I live about 5 miles from the con center.
>>
Can't wait. I got a room at the main hotel for 4 days.
>>
>Everyone that is suppose to stay with me in my room has suddenly flaked out.
>Thinking about cancelling room and killing myself.
>>
>>8748205
ask around m8
or just wait till the date gets closer
>>
Coming from Arizona for my first non-AZ con. Expecting great things since my only prior experience with conventions is Gregcons. Any other Arizonans?

Also, I'm a lolita, which group should I join for info on the tea parties and such?
>>
I'm 50/50 about it this time, but if my friends go i'll probably go and try to take some photos
>>
I'm a few miles away from this. I just dont know anyone else who is going or if the con is worth the money
>>
>>8748261
I don't recall ALA having any major lolita presence, but I someone may correct me.

>>8748281
The draw of ALA is the social aspect. It's a party con. You go and meet new people, or at worst, you can probably hang out with some other gulls.
>>
>>8748205
Cancel your room and room with me, m8
>>
>>8748261
Ala doesn't do anything to cater to Lolitas. You want PMX hun
>>
>>8748261
Have fun with people asking you what anime your Coord is from.
>>
>>8748205
If you decide not to cancel the room, me and my boyfriend still need a place to stay and we pay up front.

>>8748261
Way better than Gregcons, and a slightly older demographic. It's closer to Taiyou than any MP conventions, but more focused on the social aspect. I really enjoyed it.
>>
I went to this con for the first time last year and I have to say it was the best social experience I've ever had. Compared to my shitty recent experiences with larger cons (looking at you, AX..) this one is my new preferred con. People were friendly, the crowd was older, there were too many parties to count, there was an ice cream social and over all there was a generally happy atmosphere--the only downside (or upside, you pick) was the sexual tension. You could literally cut it with a knife if was so thick.
A lotta meat-slapping went on that weekend. :V
>>
Enough people from my usual con group are not going to ALA that my other friends are considering commuting instead of hoteling. Kinda bummed about it, but I guess I would be saving money as well.
>>
>>8748261
I hope no one spills accidentally spills a drink on you, I know how it is trying to maneuver around in a big puffy petticoat. At least you don't have to worry about being pushed into the pool this year.
>>
Anon here who posted earlier about everyone flaking out on me. Room is at the Radisson across the street from the Ontario convention center from Thursday to Sunday. Anyone down.

>Asking random strangers on the 4chins to help fill your room for a giant party that is disguised as a local animu con.
>>
>>8749311
>tfw your room is also at the Radisson and need people to fill it too
>>
The location change seems to really be shaking people up, not a lot of my friends are going, tons and tons are backing out of hotel arrangements. I'm not sure if the panelists are gonna be the same crowd either because of the change, a couple I knew were LA based and weren't up for driving out at all. I'm probably just gonna drop by for one day to see if it's still worth it, drive out a second day if it's not too bad.
>>
got a room at the double tree
friends are coming down
planning Liu from Terraformars
location change doesn't really deter as I thought it would, mainly cus of akibaexpo getting dropped and people wanting a good winter con
>>
>>8749173
>>8749273
Yikes, maybe I'll skip lolita then. Less to worry about packing anyways.
>>
>>8749213
>Muh boyfriend
You're so shit, but I still love you.

>>8749243
:3 So many qt cosplay Asian guys, too!

The Radisson looks kind of sketchy, but hoping it's acceptable enough for parties. Also, there's a general lack of suites in the area, which is unfortunate.
>>
Orgy happening again this year?
>>
>>8749601
Y-you too.
>>
File: 1449258111680.gif (63KB, 150x180px) Image search: [Google]
1449258111680.gif
63KB, 150x180px
>>8749712
W-was there really one last year?
>>
>>8747899
Drunk con can be fine and dandy sometimes, but it's gotten to the point where it's just underage and ratchet as fuck. Not worth it anymore.
>>
>>8748205
>even joking about killing yourself over stupid weeb shit

Go right ahead. Free up some space for those with a brain.
>>
>>8749411
Cool, looking forward to seeing you threatening ALA like you did to AC just because no one wants your shit weed panels.
>>
>>8749712
its a recurring joke, but ive heard from an inside source that beanie actually does host something
>>
>>8749893
lol funny thing was my room parties were packed with some of the staff too so have fun being a bitter little anon
you'll see me around so if you get the stonea, definitely do say something to me :^)
>>
Can't wait for the next "stand around the pool like autists" meet
>>
>>8749989
multiple pool meet-ups since there are 3-4 hotels servicing the con
>>
>>8749996
Is the Radisson not going to be the cool kid's club?
>>
>>8749989
yeah, most of the trips realized the other trips couldn't make it and just left to the party, leaving a cluster of anons with no social guidance
>>
>>8749905
D I C K S Q U A D
>>
>>8749406
>always gone to Ontario for the mall since I was a tween
>not having to drive to LA for a con is a fucking dream

yeeeheeeee
>>
Last year was my first ALA, where it was just about 25 mins away.

Now since they've moved, it's now 55 mins away.

>tfw you don't know anyone who will go to this con

I hope I can check it out this year too.
>>
I was wanting to go to this convention and just commute from Orange County, but it's an hour away and I'm already gonna have to take time off work to go to Genesis 3

Really tempting though :<
>>
I don't think anything has happened above a threesome so no orgies yet?

Also, #DICKSQUAD

lol
>>
File: 1448873131463.png (285KB, 978x841px) Image search: [Google]
1448873131463.png
285KB, 978x841px
>>8750032
>tfw virgin mega store closed 6years ago
>tfw I used to buy my over priced anime dvd's from there
>tfw I first found out about hentai in there
>tfw I'm never going to be able to buy a hentai now that I can
>mfw physical media and virgin are dead

Good times were had there.
>>
>>8750659
You can buy hentai off Amazon.
>>
File: 1327747363865.jpg (488KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1327747363865.jpg
488KB, 5000x5000px
>ALA thread
>The tripfags have all been banned/exiled from /cgl/
>None of them spamming/promoting themselves anymore

Is this what true peace feels like?
>>
>>8750398
Where's the non-normie orgy
>>
>>8750730
No, all the same tripfags just come on as anon now. They still go to ALA and everything. It's, just that self-promotion on 4chan is less popular than it used to be since there's backlash now from both 4chan and the anti-bullying SJWs instead of just 4chan notoriety.
>>
>>8750398
What the fuck? Is there more? Is this real?
>>
>>8749905
Only for people we already know because we get too many flakes with randoms, sorry anon.

>>8750001
Most of the people I know are at the Radisson, but a lot are on the fence with switching to another hotel.

>>8750030
>>8750063
We had four once, does that count!?

>>8750776
Was that the picture with dollar bills? If yes, I don't think so.
>>
>>8750730
You still have a couple faggots lurkin around the thread
>>
yessss I've been waiting for this thread
flyin in from nh to be with all my California buds for the week, first time seeing them all since fanime so I can't wait to see all of them. we booked a penthouse suite at the residence inn across the street so it should be fun! gonna be working at a booth with a friend selling stuff and cosplaying Totoko from Osomatsu-San and the girl from Daoko's Girl video. I'm so excited for this con ;v;
>>
Mfw you're a super pumped Norcal weeb ready to go to a party con without mum and dad for the first time
>>
What's everybody's cosplay plans for ALA?
>>
Bought my plane tickets a few weeks back and have my hotel worked out. I just need to get my badge.

Since its "idol themed" I'm going to be cosplaying Nozomi from Love Live (Picture and school uniform) as well as Fio from Metal Slug and Hanekawa from Monogatari.

I've never been to Ontario in my whole life so of anyone has any good food suggestions in the area I'm all ears. I'm excited to have an expansion of options besides Denny's and Carl's Jr.
>>
>>8753968
Then it will be Marie Callender's and In N Out
>>
File: tumblr_mes5dirRzv1qhy6c9o1_500.gif (62KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mes5dirRzv1qhy6c9o1_500.gif
62KB, 450x450px
Really excited for ALA. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have it be in Ontario since that's closer to me than LA; just a quick drive up the 15 and I don't have to deal with the 91 or 60.

Hopefully we have another meet and greet but I'll probably bake a rum cake and some cookies to bring with since it's kind of tradition for me now.

Also looking forward to the new Artist Alley area. I liked the Hotels but when it rained and people started coming in, it got really humid and the air felt thick.

Are people still going to bring ribbons?
>>
>>8753654
JoJo and FE, idk just party and hang with bros
>>
>>8753654
Supposed to do a nmh group with friends
I wanna see some more obscure cosplays
>>
I want to give out ribbons but I can't think of anything witty.
>>
>>8753654
Umaru group, AKB0048 group, and Shinobu on my own.
>>
>>8754523
Do it from what you're into
>>
File: map.png (2MB, 1581x813px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
2MB, 1581x813px
>>8753968
Here's a map of all the food/stores/gas stations there
>>
File: Map2.png (2MB, 1581x813px) Image search: [Google]
Map2.png
2MB, 1581x813px
>>8754965
And as a bonus all the hotels
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 500x280px
>Ontariofags saying "oh im like 5-10 min away from the con now this is awesome"
>LAfags complaining about how far the con is from them now
>Ontariofags never used to complain about the 40-50min drive to LA/con
>pic related

Also it never occurred to me how many cosplayers/lolis were in the ontario area, it feels good

Anybody planning on bringing any OPM cosplays? Im gonna try and bring Tatsumaki
>>
File: 1441632702016.png (454KB, 697x360px) Image search: [Google]
1441632702016.png
454KB, 697x360px
>>8749893
salty
>>
>>8750032
>Ontario Mills and Victoria Gardens not that far off.

I like Victoria Gardens more since it's a nicer shopping area. At least there's a bunch of fast food places near the con center.
>>
>>8754966
Oh, that's nice. The lack of food options in reasonable walking distance kind of sucked in the past years.

>No Japanese restaurants though
>>
>>8756148
Yoshinoya Beef Bowl bro, there's one
>>
>>8747899
person in fb group says she isnt able to go and if anyone wants her room.
respond quicly
>How much are you willing to offer
>she doesnt respond
dumb cunt you offered a registration and now are trying to turn a profit and dont respond for 50 bucks? obviously i'd be paying the reservation cost.
why are con bitches the worst
>>
Man, why are there only inconveniently timed direct flights from Seattle?? Damn is this what using a second class airport feels like...?
>>
>>8754976
Funny part is I used to live in Norwalk, and now Ontario. So I used to live a lot closer to when it was near LAX. Now it's moved to even closer to where I live. All the more convienent for me.
>>
>>8754976
I think people in Los Angeles are used to more interesting things going on around them and less willing to drive an hour for something when they can go to one of like thirty concerts going on each night, or a big party, or hangout in little tokyo, china town, etc. Meanwhile there's fucking nothing to do in Ontario. There's a few interesting places around it, but it's not really a we have any sort of interesting events going on kind of town. You're used to driving at least 20-30 minutes if you live there and wanna go do something interesting.
>>
Reunion con is fast approaching, cant wait to see all my friends, and to meet new ppl. Got me a room in the main hotel, gonna party hard with all the weebs. I will figure out the deets on the cgl meetup soon, and post here.
>>
I like that there's a bevmo 10 mins away in two directions. Not to mention a normie karaoke bar and a fun ice cream parlor about 10 mins North.
>>
>>8754965
That cardenas market is a warehouse not a store.
>>
>>8761745
Did it change from what it was?
Last time I checked I'm pretty sure it's a store
>>
Cosplans for ALA:

Totsuka Tatara (Not sure if I should do 1st or 2nd season) - K Project
Lucky God Honoka - Love Live
Cyber Honoka - Love Live
Kuninaga Tsurumaru - Touken Ranbu

Thinking of making ribbons for the respective cosplays. Have an idea for K Project, but not sure what to put on the Love Live and Touken Ranbu ones.
>>
>>8754976
We deal with the shit parts of living in LA in order to be close to the good parts, so yeah, we're not used to having to drive way out of the way for stuff.

Ontario probably isn't any worse of a drive than LAX is from where I live (Burbank), though, given how bad the 405's traffic always is.

I was on the fence about going, but my friends have a room, so I might as well do it. I'm kind of hoping that maybe the new location will cut down on the underage kids since their parents will be less willing to drive them out there.
>>
>That feel when you keep adding costumes to your schedule even though you're not even competing in anything this con

Tarrlok from Legend of Korra for a group, maybe Angel Medic from Kamen Rider Drive for the toku gathering, school uniform Sailor Jupiter for another group, Darcy Lewis from Thor as an "I'm gonna get fucked up with a girl dressed as Jane Foster and we're gonna scream about science at each other" costume, and probably my tumblrfag punk Aerith Gainsborough outfit because I've lost control of my life and Southwest lets you bring two checked bags for free.

Gonna have a metric fuckton of ribbons to give out and trade for too. Still have a few EGG NOG EGG NOG EGG NOG ribbons from last year (you have to quote that fucking youtube video at me), more Xavier Institute ribbons than I know what to do with (X-Men trivia), some unfortunately outdated "Let's go Gokaiger!" ribbons for anyone cosplaying from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, I'm getting a new batch of "Wanted Dead or Alive by the Zangyak Space Empire" ribbons printed for anyone cosplaying from any toei tokusatsu franchise, and I'm getting "I [Shinra logo] Grumpy Turks" printed off this year (probably giving it out for FFVII trivia, but I might ask people to tell me their most tinfoil hat fan theory about the compilation instead).

See you guys there.
>>
Anyone ever find roommates on the ALA Facebook? I've got room for 2 more people.
>>
File: 1449964638076.jpg (264KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449964638076.jpg
264KB, 1080x1080px
I live 15 mins away. Maybe I'll check out the first day.
>>
Mizuki Yukikaze ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
>>
>>8763859

Ok... you failboat b/c you forgot the number one rule of LA driving. Avoid the 405 at all times. If you need to get to the Westside- take one of the canyon routes or Olive/Barham. Shit take the 110 to the 105 for LAX.

Ontario is just straight inland driving taking either the 210, CA60 or the 10. Just fucking mindnumbingly boring with stripmalls and smog that doesn't get blown into the Pacific
>>
>>8768788
And the 5.

I've gone to festivals at San Manuel from LBC, in land driving is ez pz. Is the parking cheaper than LA?
>>
>>8768788
Going down through Hollywood can be a crapshoot too, though. I used to do courier work for an ad agency in Hollywood so I know all the routes, but they're a real pain in the ass, and often involve dealing with some of the most retarded drivers and pedestrians around. Sometimes it's easier just to creep the 405 than deal with that shit.
>>
File: Ive been waiting for this.png (136KB, 219x268px) Image search: [Google]
Ive been waiting for this.png
136KB, 219x268px
I'm tempted to go since my friend says that I can crash in her place so I don't have to worry about hotel fees and shit but I don't know if it's gonna be worth the trouble.

Everyone worth hanging out with is most likely going to be there, but at the same time I just got promoted and because of that, nobody is likely going to be able to cover me during the weekends.

That said, if I'm going, definitely going to be cosplaying Kosaku Kawajiri/Yoshikage Kira
>>
File: every con ever.jpg (249KB, 897x429px) Image search: [Google]
every con ever.jpg
249KB, 897x429px
I'm actually going to have money this con so I won't have to tip Dr. Sci in Canadian currency this time
>>
what's the best/cheapest site to get ribbons from?
>>
File: 1449940987304.png (249KB, 1063x757px) Image search: [Google]
1449940987304.png
249KB, 1063x757px
>>8772222
>that doujin
>>
>>8749601
Hows it make her shit for cosplaying with her boyfriend? I cosplay with my girlfriend.
>>
File: 1419426384291.jpg (32KB, 323x720px) Image search: [Google]
1419426384291.jpg
32KB, 323x720px
>>8773077
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 359x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 359x270px
I'm going to be going as Sumia this year. I'm really excited! I'm pretty sure I'm just going to nab a room at the Holiday Inn and Uber it so I'm cool to drink and get back to the hotel safely. Seems worth the money.

This is my first con going alone! I've lost touch with a lot of con friends after moving this year so I'm not really going with a group. My boyfriend also isn't interested at all, so I guess I'll be flying solo. Hopedully it's as social as you guys say it is! I would really love to meet some new people.
>>
I wish they'd update the info about the dance sooner.
It's gonna be pretty hype.
>>
File: charliebrown.jpg (1MB, 2550x2550px) Image search: [Google]
charliebrown.jpg
1MB, 2550x2550px
I've seen some Christmas cosplay at ALA, but I was just wondering /cgl/'s general thoughts on it, if its too late or what not.

Cosplay is possibly pic related.
>>
>>8775069
>Sumia
Hey I'm going as Donnel!, If you wanna hang out and shit I'm down!
>>
>>8774477
Don't worry about it. Beanie just doesn't like that I'm in a relationship, and especially not with the person I'm with. Not that he's not justified.

>>8775450
I've seen Santas at cons in September, so it can't be much worse than that. January is still pretty cold, relatively festive; I don't think It'll be a big problem.
>>
It feels weird having being this close to January, but still having the con be over a month away.

I want ALA now!!!
>>
>haven't found people to split room with

shit
>>
>>8778088
This is some heavy shit, nobody wants to room
>>
>>8778159
I know. Usually I have no problem finding a few people to room with me, but not this time.
>>
>>8775834
It's just all bad.

>>8778159
>>8778172
There are way too many hotels around the new location, and they're all pretty cheap.
>>
>>8778447
Which is on the complete opposite end of the problem, which shouldn't be a problem

>>8778172
This sucks
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 619x526px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 619x526px
>>8778088
I you are still looking
Me and my buddy are down to help you pay
Depending how much it is ...
>>
>>8781974
I've got the reservation at the Radisson from Jan 28 to Feb 1 for $453 with taxes. Split four ways would be about $113 per person.

If you're interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]
>>
File: graphicdesignismypassion.png (30KB, 1200x300px) Image search: [Google]
graphicdesignismypassion.png
30KB, 1200x300px
>>8754523
here you go buddy, just make these you'll be super popular i promise
>>
>>8749996
Glad it's all split up this time, I would have actually cut a fucker at 5 goddamn in the morning when it's way past your roudy times.
>>
>>8771373
Stay home unless you're able to not act like the sad sack of shit you usually are on here
>>
File: nico20.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
nico20.gif
1MB, 500x281px
So to people who have been to the con, Is it worth it? ive been to AX alot and wonder/comikaze-con with my group but I dont know how many of them would go with me this early in the year...
>>
>>8784226
If you're not able to enjoy yourself on your own terms, then I don't know what to tell you other than a vague "you're doing it wrong".
>>
>>8784232
oh I can enjoy myself alone I only take them to the big one's, Im just saying how is it if I do go alone. I went alone to comikaze a few years and had fun everytime.
>>
>>8784249
It's what you make of it.
>>
>>8784226
Before yeah, but I'm just gonna sit this next one out to see how it does now
>>
File: Snapchat-3189053703451655175.jpg (776KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3189053703451655175.jpg
776KB, 1080x1920px
I don't really know which cosplay to bring yet. I'm thinking of commissioning a Julian dakimakura and carrying it around as Lahey, but I've got my ticket and paid off my hotel room, so I'm excited!!!
>>
>>8785768
fuck off lahey you drunk piece of shit
>>
Excited to see you guys again, staffing again though.
>>
File: _20151230_140220.jpg (19KB, 859x213px) Image search: [Google]
_20151230_140220.jpg
19KB, 859x213px
Good news! Akihabara Expo CEO will be at ALA, here is your chance to get your money back!
>>
I've been thinking of making the trek down there from Oregon, but dont know what to do about rooms. Any one looking for a roomie? If would be nice to find a room mate instead of having to stomach the cost of a room by myself.
>>
>>8789307
actually if any one is looking for a roomie I'll leave my email. Promise I'm clean and respectful about keeping my stuff organized.
>>
Is ALA still Tripfag Con or has that dried up since tripfags no longer come to /cgl/?
>>
>>8789314
Still is
>>
Guess people are leaving their emails for potential roommates. I'll leave mine too.

[email protected]
>>
File: 200.gif (806KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
806KB, 267x200px
>Friend has two rooms
>One party room and one non-party
>Pay spot for non-party room
>Just found out that he put some of the known partyfags into the non-party room because the other room is full

Well fuck this shit.
>>
How long does it take for ribbons to get done? Is it too late?
>>
>>8789496
Too late
>>
Do people stack ribbons from previous years?
>>
>>8789505
Some people do. It's not unusual to see people who's ribbon lines are at least 5ft long
>>
first time ALA, what is the whole ribbons thing?
>>
>>8789515
No
>>
>>8789496
there's still a month, it's not too late
>>
>>8748483
>social aspect
what's the age range at cons?
>>
>>8789731
Underage
>>
I want to have drinks with you guys
>>
>>8789731
>>8789811
Pretty similar to most cons. Underage at the con during the day, but older folk come out later at night.

>>8789976
I'll have a shot with you, anon!

>>8790364
Yellow fever is a serious affliction and not something to be made fun of. :(
>>
>>8789976
I'll come have a drink or two with you anon.
>>
>ALA is this month

Oh man
>>
File: 1450763497198.jpg (168KB, 728x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1450763497198.jpg
168KB, 728x1050px
>mfw my cousin lives 5 minutes away.
>mfw i can just walk over there.
>mfw i don't have to struggle with transportation or hotels
>mfw my life is going up for once.
>>
>>8792205
Lucky, I'm looking at a 12 hour drive down there.
>>
Since the registration dead line is on the 15th of this month, does that mean i won't be able to buy my pass on the day of the even?
>>
>>8792214
It's at a con center instead of a hotel, so as long as they're still offering at the door rates you should be good.

My husband just wants to do Saturday this year. So we're planning to get a couple Saturday at the door passes this year.

>>8792205
Also means no worrying about getting a hotel and you can eat at home instead of ponying up money for fast food. We live close enough, we just have to worry about parking.
>>
>>8792214
>does that mean i won't be able to buy my pass on the day of the even?

True
>>
>>8749964
Hope to see ya J. Blaze it senpai.
>>
>>8757999
The suite party last year was awesome. Considering getting some Grey Goose/7UP badges to give out in memory of that turnt up party those kids had.
>>
>>8785768
Mr. Lahey, why are you carrying that Julian pillow?!

Hope to find youz
>>
>>8775450
Nothin wrong with it, it's winter time too so its perfect
>>
is the hotel sold out?
>>
>>8793274
Raddison looks to be
>>
Will the new location be too big for ALA?
>>
>>8793420
Maybe in 6 years.
>>
>>8749311
What's your email anon? Also we are a couple so I hope you don't mind. We are both pretty generally chill and we can spot for water/ snacks supply and I have a ton of cosplay first aid crap in case you need anything last minute bahaha.
>>
>>8749601
>So many qt cosplay Asian guys
fucking s t o p
>>
>>8757325
The riverside Lunar festival is there if anybody is interested. Really hoping to debut my Firecracker Jinx cosplay on that day too.
>>
>>8794888
cringe
don't bother the normies with your autism
>>
>>8793274
Which one?
>>
File: Teto11.jpg (174KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Teto11.jpg
174KB, 1000x1000px
First time con go-er, I live really close 15ish minutes away, but i might only be able to go one day.

Which day do you guys recommend?

Also Is it okay to go in casual clothes?

I'm not sure what to expect.
>>
>>8796759
Monday
>>
>>8796759
10 bucks says it's dead on Sunday
>>
>>8796759
Saturday is probably going to be the busiest. Either go Friday or Saturday.

Casual clothing is fine. Cosplay isn't required but it'sfun when you do.
>>
>>8795167
Who cares
>>
>>8797121
P
O
L
I
C
E

and fists on your sad little junk
>>
File: Saitama.jpg (29KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama.jpg
29KB, 375x305px
>>8797132
>>
File: 2016-01-05 23.11.57.png (318KB, 1080x926px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-05 23.11.57.png
318KB, 1080x926px
Laughing at the amount of salt here
>>
I don't usually go on 4chan so hopefully I figure out how to do this right???
>>8751689
>>8752582
I'm trying to come to this con from NorCal, San Jose specifically. All my rides have bailed and I'm desperately looking for someone to carpool with. If anyone can help me, it will be greatly appreciated as I am trying to see friends I never get to see and participate in handing ribbons out with them. I'm hoping for replies asap !!
>>
>>8799085
wot
>>
>>8799085
>homestuck

STILL holy shit.
Will he hopefully implode on himself if someone who doesn't cosplay it comments with an opinion?
>>
>>8799085
Do homestucks and undertales get along?

Will there be a war at ALA between them?
>>
>>8799142
Most UT fans are HS fans.
Case in point, the OP in pic is cosplaying Grillby from Undertale
>>
I've awaited this thread =w=

If peeps got questions about the con, I have many answers.
>>
>>8799765
when will the event schedules go up?
>>
>>8753654
Zombina from monster musume, bunny suit madoka, and Disney stuff
>>
>>8789976
k
>>8793058
Indeed it was, don't think I can top that. This year will be more low key I think because everybody has to get their bearings in the new location.
>>8799583
Instead of gray bodypaint everywhere there will be white paint smears over everything.
>>
>>8799765
Why did you guys increase the amount of artist alley tables by 2.5x over one year
I get that it's a new location but I feel like it's going to be a miserable weekend for me.
>>
>>8799773
Probably soon. Chad just posted on the Facebook that emails to the program participants are going out tonight.
>>
Holy shit I live like, an hour away from the center.
I must go!
>>
We should all meet up and make a cult.
>>
>>8800887
We should all meet up and stand around awkwardly and silently
>>
>>8800887
>>8800895
I can't wait for this.
>>
>>8800887
>>8800895
>>8800992
everyone bring a knife and a rubber chicken in hoods
>>
>>8799765
fuck off, you don't do shit other than being a disgrace
>>
Excited to go to ALA as I always have good memories of the place.

Really excited to see Banzai Arcade, Tough Crowd and to host the Cosplay Wrestling Federation.
>>
>>8801499
>>
>>8800836
I'm not entirely sure why the artist alley got a MASSIVE boost. I do know that some of those tables are also gonna be for conventions and fan table type things. I can assume that with the assumed attendance spike now that there's no reg cap, it might be anticipation. This is a year of testing things ontop of growth. If the artist alley is an issue, please email the staff after the con and let em know how you felt about the size!!
>>
File: 1445464753096.png (88KB, 171x257px) Image search: [Google]
1445464753096.png
88KB, 171x257px
>>8800895
>>8800887

>tfw you end up being the guy in the background who watches the gulls meet
>>
Anyone still looking for roomies? Looking for a party room. Email: ptisqueenATgmail
>>
>>8801655
r u a gril?
>>
>>8800540
You doing it both nights?
>>
>>8801620
You should really join in. Everyone is actually pretty chill!
>>
>>8801616
Even if you guys get double the attendance (which I doubt, seeing my prereg number), the increase is still ridiculous. But alright, will do.
>>
>>8801620
Don't worry, Seagulls have no teeth to bite with
>>
>>8801611
And that will be all you got
>>
>>8800887
You dont know about the cult of the circlejerk?
>>8801781
Staying 4 nights, so as supplies last.
>>
>>8802576
Are you at the Radisson?
>>
>>8757999
Wow havent con partied with you till 2012 fanime. Looking forward to ALA now.
>>
>>8799868
Zombina's my fave girl, damn. I'm only going one day but maybe I'll see you! I'm currently trying to put together a half-assed monster girl cosplay cause I gave away all my other cosplay stuff.
>>
>>8801884
I pray we don't double our attendance. Dear god
>>
>>8802683
If your attendance doesn't go up by 2x, don't increase your artist alley by 2.5x.
Okay, I'm done. It's not your department, it's not your fault. I'm just ranting. Hope to see you there.
>>
>>8802665
Ooh which one??
I'm doing Zombina day 1 with a pair of fake guns!
>>
First time going, dressing up as space dandy
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-07+at+09.46.33).jpg (20KB, 317x139px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-07+at+09.46.33).jpg
20KB, 317x139px
>>8753654
Lazily dressing up as Akane on one of the days, not sure which one yet. Gonna hand out these ribbons to anyone that claims their Psycho-Pass is under 100.
>>
>>8803785
Oh man I want one
>>
Not going to lie, it's kind of strange to identify so many people who you didn't know browsed /cgl/ from their cosplay plans.
>>
>>8803785
Ohh, I hope to get one!
>>
>>8801499
>>8801960

Go outside
>>
>>8802576
Oh nice, last year I just randomly stumbled to the party. Hope to find it again this year.
>>
The video game room is gonna be so much bigger! I'm so excited, it's hopefully won't get as crowded!
>>
File: 1436930475408.png (269KB, 351x420px) Image search: [Google]
1436930475408.png
269KB, 351x420px
New Years resolution: I will get a career job and use that money to pay to go to this con by ALA 2017.

What are the chances of it booking the same con center for 2017?
>>
>>8802765
Nothing officially from monmusu unfortunately, I'm too fat and broke ahaha.

But I'm going to go as a punk/biker goat girl just to have something to dress up in. I'm only going Saturday but I'll tell my friend to look for you to maybe get a pic!
>>
>>8802688
No sweat, dude. I'll be around, and audible lol. Hopefully at the CGL meet too! I wanna meet some new age seagulls and have a good time :>
>>
File: zenigata.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
zenigata.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>8801620
>Go to cgl meetup
>Starts great, but then it revolves around Maguma and his stories
>>
File: 1435023205308.jpg (541KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1435023205308.jpg
541KB, 2048x1152px
I'm gonna get some this year, baby
>>
>>8806103
>why i skip sakuracon meets
>>
>>8806103
>>8806125
Why all the salt?
>>
>>8806104
What a shit waifu
>>
>>8805885
Pretty good. They only moved because they outgrew the old spot and I doubt they're going to shrink
>>
>>8806103
As usual that's why no one goes anymore
>>
File: 1411616918433.png (187KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1411616918433.png
187KB, 499x499px
I wonder if I should go to this again.

Hmm...
>>
>>8806163
beta fucks too salty that people dont care what they have to say or dont bother speaking up and then choose to be buttmad about it
>>
So when is the meetup?
>>
>>8806103
Then you talk about stuff, it's not a first date in high school it's a hang out! DO STUFF~

>>8807117
It's normally Friday evenings
>>
>>8806163
>>8806773
every fucking meetup i go to is a group of people sitting around listening to him
its boring as fuck and im not salty about maguma theres just no point in going
>>
>>8807287
whole heartedly, suggest we do something else and bring something to the table. Meet ups are fun, but if no one's gonna do anything then yea, it's gonna be boring. And I'm not gonna just sit there and do nothing. I'm either gonna talk to people or we'll have a campfire and I'mma tell y'all dumb shit that happens.
>>
>>8807287
>>8807287
You don't start your own convos? What else are you suppose to do at a meetup besides eat, drink and talk?
>>8807315
Any idea what else to do?
>>
>>8807397
In all honesty, I'm down to get food with seagulls. Occasionally there's parties and everyone's invited. Normally we'll stand around the pool, make friends and meet people. We could do some card games or tabletop shit (which we did this year with the seagulls in seattle. Card games in seattle was fucking amazing!)
>>
Any ALA seagull meet horror stories?
>>
Do I stay... do I go.... can I get a new Star wig in time?
>>
>>8807397
I will usually throw some sort of after party, depending on when I have panels and if ppl are cool.
>>8807287
Making friends? Its not that hard. Also, the meets I am at usually don't devolve into storytelling. Usually its a bunch of people milling around and talking to each other.
>>8807792
That time some motherfucker broke a mason jar full of spiders in the middle of the meet. Security was pissed because it caused a huge scene and there was glass everywhere, and people panicking because of the spiders.
>>
>>8807969
I'm glad someone remembers the spiders meme
>>
File: toon_link_by_sp415-d64ek9l.jpg (183KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
toon_link_by_sp415-d64ek9l.jpg
183KB, 600x800px
>>8807817
Yes. Yes you should. At least for a day.
>>
>>8807126
Well, you do have a way of dominating the conversation...
>>
HOMESTUCK POOL NEVER FORGET
>>
I just found out that my ALA leave has been approved. Is it too late to make ribbons?
>>
>>8801853
>>8801913

I went to one of these meets a few years back. Never again, you nerds are a waste of time.
>>
>>8808780
You'd have to find a place that could do a rush order.

>>8808057
I thought it was the hot tub?
>>
>>8808786
it was the hot tub that the usual crew that hangs out in it. saw three chicks in bikinis barfing into the hot tub from my hotel balcony. nasty.
>>
>>8808854
What is wrong with those animals?
>>
>>8808786
It was the hottub. Our room was a couple of rooms away, and we stayed till monday because some people had flights that day. The entire morning up until we left in the afternoon a hotel staffer would come put stuff in the water to clean it every hour or so.
>>
>>8809373
Jesus. This is why we can't have nice things.

>wonder how long it'll take until the new con hotels hate ALA too.
>>
Has anyone compiled an ALA 2016 ribbon list?
>>
>>8809378
>>wonder how long it'll take until the new con hotels hate ALA too.

Hopefully soon.
>>
>>8807287
There really is no point, there are better things to do and more mature people to meet.
>>
>>8807817

Absolutely not.
>>
>>8808780
Didn't you ask this last time? The answer is always yes.

>>8808784
Your first mistake was going to a nerd forum to complain about nerds while being a nerd.
>>
>>8807287
Meet quality kind of depends on who attends. A lot of trips are really social and make meets fun (+ getting drunk after), but if they don't show up, it ends up being a bunch of socially awkward cross-boarders.
>>
This is my third con, and all my friends/people im rooming with are gonna be staffing.

Dont know anybody else in the Con scene and am generally kinda quiet ...means im going stag...

Lovely.
>>
>>8809642
Attend panels or go to the meetup.If you don't act like a total autistic creep you should be able to find people to hang with.
>>
File: 16942_397539365061_2935458_n.jpg (52KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
16942_397539365061_2935458_n.jpg
52KB, 453x604px
>>8807995
Bought the full weekend. Staying with EDG.

>>8809548
Too bad!
>>
>>8809642
If you ever wanna hang out or something make a post or hit me up on twitter. I'm down for meetin' new peeps

>>8809522
Check the facebook group

>>8808001
It's true... DX

>>8807991
We'll never forget it really.
>>
So will all the panels be at the convention center? Will the hotel stay a hotel?
>>
>>8810604
AFAIR, no outside food or beverages are allowed by the convention center, and especially not alcoholic beverages, so the hotels will probably turn into the gathering place at night.
>>
File: 1451810787401.jpg (33KB, 401x485px) Image search: [Google]
1451810787401.jpg
33KB, 401x485px
How many loners going alone do we have here?
>>
>>8810846
Just you, loser.
>>
File: 1452200170120.png (16KB, 917x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1452200170120.png
16KB, 917x1186px
>>8810850
I won't interfere then
>>
>>8810575
I'm that awkward as hell Millia Rage cosplayer who bothered you at Fanime about four or five years ago. I might be a creep and come up to you to say hi.
>>
>>8810846
I'm technically traveling/staying alone but I have enough friends going that I probably won't be on my own much. But in some ways attending alone can be more fun, more freedom and flexibility.
>>
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, no time off this early in the year to do Friday. It will be my first time back at ALA since 2010, so I'm looking forward to it. Not 100% sure which cosplays I'm bringing yet.
>>
>>8806103
Yeah because those sure aren't fun, people really don't show up wow
>>
Going all three days, and staffing. Going to be wearing lolita.
>>
>>8810846
I'm in that camp. I'm staying a room with some folks who I dont know, and I havent been to a california con in years so I'm probably going to know all of 5 people, who I highly doubt will recognize me anyways.

Should be interesting. Nothing some good conversation and some drinks cant fix though.
>>
File: 1448729034541.png (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448729034541.png
16KB, 500x500px
>>8810846
Ay.
I'm going for just Saturday, though. Planing on bring a flask full to the brim with booze, and hopefully drunkenly making friends that way.
>>
>>8810850
You sound like a cool person
>>
File: 0528011043.jpg (251KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
0528011043.jpg
251KB, 960x1280px
>>8810861
I I'm pretty sure I remember you~ you had an awesome cosplay! Creep all you want :>

This was you right??
>>
I'm having so much trouble not saying something to all of these people posting on the ALA FB group with the Tumblr bullshit costumes they're going to be wearing.

This is ANIME LA, not fucking DashCon 2016.
>>
>>8810536
Yeah, sucks for you.
>>
>>8812125
You gonna post examples or what?
>>
>>8812125
What do you mean? People showing up as ballpits?
>>
>>8812129
I'm not mean enough to post screenshots and stuff.

Some girl was just posting the multiple costumes of the fat chick from Steven Universe that she'll be wearing, and I've seen a bunch of homestucks and Adventure Time and other western cartoon and webcomic stuff and the like.

There are also apparently MULTIPLE Star Wars gatherings, I get that there's a lot of hype for SW right now but it's not in keeping with the theme of an ANIME convention.

I miss the days when cons were actually about anime and not just a general gathering of obnoxious autistic nerds.
>>
>>8812139
The ALA Facebook group is just really autistic. Bernie 2016, never forget.
>>
File: 1350207890709.jpg (14KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
1350207890709.jpg
14KB, 252x240px
>>8812139
>I miss the days when cons were actually about anime and not just a general gathering of obnoxious autistic nerds
>>
>>8812139
ALA's always been open to all fandoms. Hypes and trends will always be the big obnoxious things. That's just how shit goes. Do you even remember Naruto Gatherings at AX back in the early 2000's? Seriously though. Let the kids have fun, that's the point.
>>
>>8812209
Those "kids having fun" are the thing that ruins the con for people without autism, and causes security crackdowns and gets us kicked out of hotels.

I remember Naruto gatherings, I also remember that they didn't run around incessantly harassing everybody else and then go cause fiascos by complaining about how they're being oppressed by the con on tumblr.

I guess those of us who are actually adults that care about anime and cosplaying it are totally outnumbered nowdays, though. I blame Nintendo and Sega bullshit for opening the door to begin with.
>>
>>8812223
>causes security crackdowns and gets us kicked out of hotels.
Nah, its stupid adults wanting young poon or making bad decisions that lead to this.
Stop hanging with kids and you'll avoid tumblr.
>>
>>8812229
You literally have to shove your way through crowds of them at ALA though. The only way to avoid them is by avoiding the actual con and only going to parties at night.

Hopefully the new venue will help.
>>
>>8812232
>>8812223
I'm not gonna discourage you from attending cons and what not but seriously dude. It's not hard to avoid people you don't like at cons. It really isn't. If you're having that much of a problem, maybe cons just weren't for you.
>>
>>8812236
They used to be for me, back when the bulk of people were into age-appropriate anime.

They're not for me anymore, apparently, now that they're overrun by 20-somethings who are on the mental level of 10 year olds and obsess over shitty children's cartoons.

Those Naruto kids back in the day were actually of an appropriate age to be into it. Now cons have gone from being for people who love anime to being for people who are mentally stunted.
>>
>>8812139
So what are you gonna do when you see someone in non-anime cosplay?
>>
>>8812246
Those 20-something were the Naruto loving faggot.
>obsess over shitty children's cartoons.

Anon, I have bad news for you.

>Now cons have gone from being for people who love anime to being for people who are mentally stunted.

Really..Anon. I'm seriously gonna break a rib laughing.
>>
You guys see the schedule yet? Any panels you're going to? Seems only a couple rooms at the hotel will be used and the rest is at the convention center.
>>
>>8812080
Yep, that's me! Thank you! I won't be in cosplay this time around, but if a dweeb in bad jfashion comes up to you, don't be scared ahaha.

>>8812441
If anyone is interested in idol shit, there will be a really good idol panel on saturday.

While I've learned to stop questioning guests choices, is the "Twilight Knights" thing normal for ALA? Seems a bit randomly thrown in
>>
>>8812468
I shan't be scared at all!!

As for the Twilight Knights, I mentioned it in another post but ALA is pretty accepting of a lot of things. The main focus is Anime but having other things to cater to other fans as well isn't necessarily a bad thing. A little bit bigger, a little bit broader. But the mission statement stays the same.
>>
>>8812472
Why is it that Star Wars has two gatherings though?
>>
Okay seagulls, which panels are you guys hosting?
>>
>>8812472
As a casual fencer, I think it's odd but interesting. I doubt I'll end up checking them out, but maybe they'll get some people into it, which would be cool. And hey, maybe they can give some posing lessons with weapons.
>>
>>8812478
http://sched.animelosangeles.org/book.cgi?w147
>>
>>8812475
Not my department. I wish I could answer that for ya.
>>
>>8812478
Some gulls participate in Cosplay Wrestling Federation and Tough Crowd.
>Any self-respecting gull admitting to hosting most of the other panels
>>
File: 144960070143.jpg (36KB, 498x552px) Image search: [Google]
144960070143.jpg
36KB, 498x552px
>>8812475
Because
>>
>>8812485

Might drop into the con going 101. Im new and I will need all the help I can get
>>
>>8812512
Please do~ We got tips on tips and some fun stories to tell as well if there's time!
>>
>>8799765
theres word that the radisson is extremely unfriendly to parties. wasnt it supposed to be the 'active' hotel?
>>
>>8812866
Oh no. Where'd you hear that from?
>>
>>8812479
Those Twilight Knights events sound like they would be cool to watch.
>>
>>8812147
Pretty much
>>
>>8812236
Except when you're obnoxious and go out of your way to get at others who would rather not associate with you. Ever.
>>
>>8812139
You have to under
A majority of people who post on the con pages are obnoxious weebs just desperateLY seeking attention. They do shit like that and post their lineups 7 MONTHS before the actual fucking con or give a paragraph introduction of who they are thinking all the people in the group actually give a shit
>>
You have to understand//
>>
>>8813283
Understand.
>>
>>8813283
Okay.
>>
>>8813404
THE CONCEPT OF LOVE
>>
>>8814271
I was waiting for a jsrf ref
>>
>>8814271
But what is love?
>>
File: oneeyefashion.jpg (70KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
oneeyefashion.jpg
70KB, 720x480px
My friend does freelance modelling on the side and for whatever reason ALA's fashion department decided to scout models through Model Mayhem. They offered her a free badge in exchange for signing up and sent her who she was modelling for. I feel so bad, but we couldn't stop laughing at how bad the brand was.

Why is ALA's fashion department so terrible? As a semi related note, why is anything with the label "geek fashion" so terrible?
>>
>>8814786
Those fucking eye patches
>>
>>8810846
I'm going to be alone. I just hope I don't come off as a creeper just chilling around. I'm not the most attractive person so I have a little anxiety about that.
>>
File: ax 2008.4 398.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
ax 2008.4 398.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>8812209
Early 2000s? Here's Naruto AX '08.

In all honesty I don't even notice how crappy or good a cosplay is any more it all just blends in after so many years.

As long as they don't misbehave, I won't look down on them.
>>
Less than 2 weeks lads
>>
>>8814786
I was so excited when I heard ALA would have a fashion show, because I thought it would be like PMX where they'd recruit nice brands. Sigh.
>>
>>8815584
GET HYPED
>>
>>8815584
What's everybody working on right now?
>>
>>8815858
Working on having enough cash for ALA
>>
>>8815858
Working on Giffany and Frisk right now. Got my Frisk just about done, I just have to put some wefts into the wig to make the whole thing thicker and attach the sleeves on my sweater. Giffany I havent started yet but she's a pretty basic sailor fuku. A bit stumped on how I want to do her ribbon though.
>>
>>8750730
I imagine they'll be some tripfag bullshit again this year. It always happens. ALA is the trigger for all cancer.

Speaking of which, is there gonna be a seagull meetup (read: orgy) this year?
>>
Gonna go for a day, and hopefully take some photos and maybe get a shoot or two in, need to improve.
>>
>>8815858
Currently working on Eli's choir outfit for myself, a toon link costume for my kid, and Hunter armor from Destiny for my husband.
>>
>>8816174
Did I miss out on the tripfag bullshit last year?
>>
>>8816440
No, just anon being salty as always.
>>
oh yes, sweet autosage
>>
>>8816008
You can do it, anon!
>>
How strict is ALA on realistic looking weapon props?

Also new thread when
>>
File: RP038.jpg (153KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
RP038.jpg
153KB, 600x888px
>tfw i was expecting my co-worker to cover me for one day because i covered her shifts so many times, so i figured she would do me a solid.
>she said she was busy that day and she can't miss out
>tfw she is just gonna go party
>tfw i could still go but i'm gonna be there for 3 hours instead of being there the whole day
>tfw i work the whole weekend
pic related: how i feel
>>
>>8812866
You would be mistaken about the Radisson being unfriendly to parties. They know full well that they will be the "Active" hotel and were well prepared. Whoever told you this is incorrect. Regardless, respect the hotel please~

>>8813124
If you don't wanna associate with me, that's fine. Go make friends with someone else. I couldn't care less. Just don't be a debbie downer for everyone else.

>>8814754
What is love, Love is freedom~

>>8818952
The weapon's policy is built around a common sense train of thought. If you think you might get in trouble for your prop, don't brandish it in the convention space or wave it around. Save it for photoshoots and such then put it away. If you have a realistic gun prop, odds are you shouldn't bring it out.
>>
>>8819133
I hope you never cover that coworker ever again
>>
>>8819176
>weapons policy
I was wondering about this myself, not sure about small Star Wars blasters and stuff
>>
>>8820911
>>8820911
>>8820911

migrate
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.