[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

poor photographer editing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

File: 1362535397591.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1362535397591.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
Looking for photographer advice.

Let's say your a cosplayer, and you get back a photoshoot and the photographer has neglected to clean up your shiny nose or massive bags under your eyes. Or left your underwear hanging out, or didn't do any color correction, etc. any manner of small, easily fixable flaws.

What is proper etiquette? Should the cosplayer approach the photographer and ask for additional edits? Should they do the edits themselves and hope no one notices? Or just... hope no one sees the photos and pretend it never happened?
>>
File: Youma-1216.jpg (222KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
Youma-1216.jpg
222KB, 533x800px
>>8710241
example: this is a cute photo, but the photographer didn't edit out acne/eye bags/yellow teeth/bobby pins. otherwise the lighting and poses are great.

(This photographer has since upped their editing game)
>>
>>8710241
I'm a cosplayer, and I say for things like eye bags or shiny nose, it would be nice if the photographer edited them out automatically for you, because chances are at the beginning of the day you looked fine but being at the con + sweat + touching your face has made your make-up slip a little. Whereas if you're underwear is hanging out, either your photographer's a creep, or you looked a bit shit all day and should have seen it and fixed it. Same with yellow teeth, or other lasting issues. Generally though I'm a fan of a photographer telling you of any issues with your costume/make up during a shoot or letting you stop for touch-ups.

It the situation you said, I think you can approach and ask for extra edits but obviously offer to pay for them, but you risk pissing off the tog. I used to ask if I could do them myself but now I'd be crucified for asking to do that, and rightfully so. The last option, hope no-one sees the photo, is probably the safest and most polite option. Stick with that unless it's truly atrocious.
>>
>>8710246
What are you talking about, the lighting is far from great, and the pose is highly unflattering for both of them. It's not a shit photo, but far from great.
>>
>>8710325
> pay a photographer to click blur

LOL
>>
I fucking hate when a photographer RUINS the photo by editing the shit out my face.

I don't mind my pores showing a bit, there's no need to blur my entire fucking face and make me look like a wax doll.
>>
I like it when a photographer does a bit of basic airbrushing/beautifying but I have had photographers change the shape of certain facial features which is a bit weird.
>>
>>8710325
what if you paid for the shoot and it had basic 101 photo editing neglect or shitty shoop? Cut your losses and not work with them again?

I once paid a well-known photographer in my area with a decent portfolio, and when I got my (rushed) photos back, they had barely done any post processing. Instead of causing any drama or a rift with the photographer, I just edited the photos and put them on my deviantart. I don't know if they ever bothered to check or even noticed. I just hope this sub never bothers to check our archives and compare the two
>>
I had a photographer photoshop out a large distinguishing mole before on several photos, one that I don't mind at all. But I guess it bothered him? SHOULD I BE ASHAMED OF MY MOLE
>>
>>8710241
Some photographers just don't do "touch ups." If you got photos back that are completely untouched, odds are they probably don't know what they're doing so you may as well just touch them yourself. As long as you don't go crazy and alter your face/body shape or the lighting, they'll probably never notice a few missing eyebags. If you want to edit anything more extensive, just ask "hey is it okay if I touch up my teeth" or whatever.

IMO it's bad manners to demand edits unless the shoot was advertised as something that included those edits, or they have other examples with more extensive editing. In that case, you should get what you paid for.
>>
>>8711165
Photogs do that with my birth marks or scars

They're likely just going over everything and making it all as 'in character' as possible
>>
i hate it when my photographer photograhed my nose to the point i dont look like me anymore
>>
>>8710241
before i shoot with anyone i always ask them if i can photoshop myself. it helps that all the photogs are the ones who ask me for the shoot rather than the other way around, I suppose
>>
>>8710241
I just ask the photographer if they're ok with me photoshopping out my acne or under-eye bags. No one's said no so far.
>>
>>8711508
>>8711271

I would say no, unless they agree to let me physically alter their cosplays
>>
>>8711526
This in no way shape or form is the equivalent of editing your photos, unless by editing them they somehow also edit the originals you still have.
>>
File: woah.jpg (80KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
80KB, 500x667px
>>8710241
the photog should edit clean you up by smoothing acne, eye bags, moles, birthmarks, scars, stray wig hairs, ect. in my opinion. but no editing the actual costume, and shooping the cosplayers features [ie: making them skinner, editing eye shape, lightening skin].
if youre really picky about what you do and dont want edited, i think you should ask the photog to edit them yourself. it makes it easier on you and the photog.
as for panties hanging out, thats not exactly the togs fault unless they took it from a strange angel. if you have underwear showing in any photos those photos simply shouldnt be uploaded anywhere period if you ask me.
>>
>>8711554
>>8711526
The better analogy would be asking the cosplayer to move their wig bangs out of their eyes or to untuck a flipped skirt hem.
>>
How do you handle a photographer who over edits you? I shoot with a friend on a pretty frequent basis but he always photoshops me to be much thinner than I am and makes my skin way too smooth. It wouldn't be that much of a big deal but he's really awful at it, and it's cringey to get back all these photos with eerily smooth skin and terribly liquification.
>>
ITT; People who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>8711593
could you please enlighten us then anon? or maybe you dont know what youre talking about either?
>>
File: edit.jpg (410KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
410KB, 533x800px
>>8710246
im no photog but this is about how i would like my photos to be edited.
may have went a bit overboard with the skin smoothing though.
>>
>>8711596
First of all, a good photographer wouldn't light you in a way that causes your wig or your brows to cast a shadow on your face.

Secondly, if you *really* cared about acne, skin discolorations and the like, you'd hire a makeup artist to conceal the skin imperfections.

If you want a professional result, then hire professionals who put in professional effort.
>>
>>8711165
Yes. Obviously.
>>
>>8711614
Who the fuck hires a makeup artist for cosplay
>>
>>8711614
We're all nerds playing dress up, get off your high horse, go back to wedding photos or something. 7/10 for getting me to respond.
>>
>>8711600
You like your wigs to glow?
>>
>>8712161
Then nerds shouldn't be bitching about getting photos, but if you're a nerd pying money for good photos, you better be happy about those photos. They don't have be to fucking perfect, but at least good quality. Otherwise why hire a photographer to shoot you when you can just have your friend snap a photo of you with your own camera or cellphone.
>>
>>8711165
Moley moley moley moley
>>
>>8711577
would it be weird to ask for both the edited and non-edited originals since he is a friend? That's so touchy, because he might be offended seeing you uploading your own edits instead of his.... I guess at that point if he questions you about it, you can be honest and tell him his editing style isn't your preference, and you like a more natural look
>>
>>8712217
That's exactly what this thread is about. What if you get photos and you don't like the editing, payed or not? Sounds like you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about...
>>
>>8712157
>>8712161

Then why complain about the way your skin looks in a photo?

You want me to bust my ass for hours in Photoshop (which is actually exactly what I'm doing right now) for a 25 dollar photoshoot, and then complain after I finish?

Or, you could pay to have a professional make you look great from the beginning, and make it less work on all of us.

Because in my case, I don't release shitty work, so you'd just wait months until I get around to putting in that kind of work on a photo, paid or not.
>>
>>8711577
You could show him some examples of how you want to be edited and be honest with him, or alternately add a touch of guilt by implying it makes you feel like he doesn't think you're pretty enough on your own when he edits that way.
>>
>>8712452
lol.

Diabolical.
>>
>>8712167
well, no, i was just trying to edit out the stray wig hairs haha. shows how much i know about photo editing.
>>
I'm a cosplayer and a photographer.

I generally smooth skin, whiten teeth, fix a stray hair, and take out really bad eye bags.
If I'm good friends with or really like the cosplay I'll even smooth out the odd fabric wrinkle. I like to keep it natural though.

I've honestly never had someone ask me for further edits or said they were unhappy with what I did.

When I am being photographed I will edit the photos I get back. So many people are just pointing and clicking with no idea of light balance, bad angles, or just that it's the last hour of the day and you haven't reapplied lipstick cause you're going home....
>>
>>8710246
>Lighting and poses are great
Are you sure about that?

Anyway, I think basic skin smoothing is mandatory when you're shooting people up-close, maybe fix some unevenness, but you're responsible to look as good as you can for the shoot, and if you want major shoop, pay extra.
>>
>>8712442
Let's see your editing then. I bet it's shit.
>>
>>8712442
Skin smoothing takes less than 5 minutes you fucking dumbass. Git gud.
>>
>>8712311
That's your fault then for not talking ahead of the time to the photog and explaining anything. Ask them if they'll do post work on a photo, and if so, let them know if you want to keep something, like a tattoo, scar or some other blemish/mark. Look at their work and see what type of editing they do
>>
Can someone show me an example of good editing? So often I see a picture I think looks nice and there is always someone to scream it's shit
>maybe I'm just too used to blurry jap magazines
>>
>>8711526
Well, let's just say I've never had a photographer say "no, I want your pimple to stay".
>>
File: retouchexample1.jpg (624KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
retouchexample1.jpg
624KB, 800x1200px
>>8713257
I'll post a couple.
>>
File: retouch2.jpg (444KB, 800x2154px) Image search: [Google]
retouch2.jpg
444KB, 800x2154px
>>8713347
I know the picture is weird, but you can see the natural skin texture, smooth and neat hair, and natural diffusion of light across the skin.
>>
File: retouch4.jpg (256KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
retouch4.jpg
256KB, 600x900px
>>8713350
>>
File: retoucheh.jpg (797KB, 610x1630px) Image search: [Google]
retoucheh.jpg
797KB, 610x1630px
>>8713355
I think this image takes it a little too far with adding skin texture back in and it looks a little unnatural, but it's still an improvement over her really bumpy skin. A lot of my favorite retouchers don't seem to post before and afters, unfortunately.
>>
File: umagif.gif (639KB, 486x640px) Image search: [Google]
umagif.gif
639KB, 486x640px
>>8713363
>>
>>8712920
SKIN SMOOTHING TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES? ARE YOU MAD?

Pros spend up to 8 hours on a single advertising-quality image. I myself spend like 2 hours on each cosplay photo, and that's usually just on faces and sometimes neck / hands / chest work. This is why I say you people don't know wtf you're talking about.

>>8712897
My editing is inbound.

Also, if you want a photographer to leave a distinguishing mark, just tell him to leave it. I've had it asked of me many times, and I could never tell someone, "Oh, but your mole is so gross that I have to take it out fuck what you say". That's not good customer service.
>>
>>8713350
>>8713347
>>8713355
>>8713363
>>8713367

I love these, Anon! You can see they still have fine hairs and pores, not wax skin. Good editing.
>>
>>8713663
>>8712442
>>8712648
>>8712775
>>8712920

I'm new to photoshop, what are some good methods to edit skin?

One of my friend's has a photog pal that always blurs the fuck out of skin but I prefer something like >>8711600 but maybe a tad smoother.
>>
>>8713715
Look up frequency separation. It's simple to get rid of many issues in one shot, but you do have to go in to fine tune/clean it up, but it looks better than just gaussian blurring everything smooth. You just need to pay attention to the contours of the face, splotches, and blemishes.
>>
>>8713715
>>8713715
Anon, there's levels to retouching. It just depends on how much time you have to invest in a pic.

Like I said in >>8712442 and >>8713663 , it can take a significant time investment to put out a "professional" photo. But most times, that investment can be cut WAY down if the photographer knows how to light you properly in the first place.

But if you need to look at retouching techniques, I would tell you to look at Frequency Separation, Inverted High Pass Retouching, and Dodge and Burn. Look on YouTube, or torrent tutorials (which I did, but I'm ashamed of it, as a struggling artist myself).

Good luck. :)
>>
>>8713887

You're a range of emotions, anon.
>>
>>8710325
Clean teeth can look yellow in certain lighting. It's not always the cosplayer's fault.
>>
>>8714100
Dumb shit makes me mad, what can I say?
>>
>>8714288

Fair enough, anon. Carry on!
>>
>>8710241
Absolutely serious question. As a cosplayer, are you supposed to pay photographers if you want a photoshoot? Or do they just come up to you and offer for free? How does it work? I get my photo taken a lot by photographers but not like photoshoots. Sorry for noob question.
>>
>>8714836
Hello there. Alabama cosplay photographer here.In regard to paying photographers, it just depends. Usually at cons,most photographers don't charge for hallway shots, but some will charge for a private photoshoot. You'll have to seek them out for a photoshoot. Prices range from as cheap as 10 dollars to as expensive as 200. I mostly do hallway shots at cons(Awa,Kamicon), and don't charge for doing photoshoots at Cosplayer meetups since I'm really not that great yet.
>>
>>8714836
Easy answer: some photographers charge and some do not. Whether they charge or not is a /cgl/ lively debatable toilet bowl of discussion.
>>
>>8710246
>this is a cute photo
No.
>>
Are just general bad photos allowed here? A photographer just uploaded a photo that's so wide, you literally cannot even tell what the cosplay is since they're so far back
>>
>>8715546
i wanna see em.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (149KB, 2880x1619px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
149KB, 2880x1619px
>>8710246
full
metal
jacket
on the left
>>
>>8713363
horribly obviously airbrushed
>>
File: FB_IMG_1447440025133.jpg (87KB, 1084x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447440025133.jpg
87KB, 1084x720px
>>8715548
You can't even tell the cosplay, or see her face very well. I get what they were trying to get, but it didn't work out in my opinion
>>
All of those good editing examples are super overbaked. Cospho is not magazine ad level fake tier.
>>
>>8715605
oof. yeah, gotta get that wide shot so we can get the cars in the background! And at an angle so we can get the cars in the reflection of the building, too!

Looks like he just wanted to use his cool new lens.

And didn't bother to shoop them out.

It's bad.
>>
>>8715900
>>8715605
and she got her costume wet for this photoshoot. Not worth it
>>
>>8715900
Exactly what I thought, glad it's not just me
If you're photographing a cosplayer, you should be able to see them clearly
>>
>>8715902
absolutely not worth it. that's my university- that pool she's standing in is pretty well known for being the pool where drunk people pee and vomit. Ducks shit in it too. The building is cool but the reality of it is just bad...
>>
>>8715605
>>8716078
I'm willing to give it a pass if by "university" this is implying the photographer is a student doing a free shoot. Gotta practice. Gotta learn. But if this was paid for..... just no
>>
>>8713715
content aware fill
>>
>>8716113
No, he's an adult doing this shoot. I just think this was the setting.

He's a professional photographer
>>
>>8716190
"professional"
>>
File: x58lxusxsfik0txg3ynm.jpg (2MB, 1683x2246px) Image search: [Google]
x58lxusxsfik0txg3ynm.jpg
2MB, 1683x2246px
>>
File: vo5krzpwfoj8xrgtxqrn.jpg (52KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
vo5krzpwfoj8xrgtxqrn.jpg
52KB, 720x480px
>>8717302
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (328KB, 1803x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
328KB, 1803x1200px
>>
>>8717309
>>8717305
>>8717302

Legit. If your photographer is not capable of retouching like this, he's not a professional.

However, if he *is* capable of doing work like this, and is willing to shoot you for cosplayer rates, you better cherish that motherfucker.
>>
>>8717309
her face looks so much better with the wrinkles, especially under her eyes, she looks like a human.
>>
>>8717357
"her face looks so much better with the wrinkles, especially under her eyes, she looks like a human."
>said no one ever

Fixed that for you, anon.
>>
>>8717314
Not all professional photographers do glamour shoots.
>>
>>8717368
True, but the vast majority of cosplayers are looking for glamour, beauty, or editorial shots.
>>
>>8717367
i mean the area around her mouth, temple and chin looks better, but they flattened out her eye area and it made her look like a completely different person.
>>
>>8717372
If she wanted a more natural photoshoot she wouldn't be wearing a strippers uniform.
>>
>>8710241
I have some beginner/intermediate Photoshop experience, so I usually just edit the photos myself. If you don't or the photographer has a bit of an ego problem, you can ask them to edit some more, especially if you paid for the photos.

I had some free pictures of me taken at a con 2 years ago where the photographer seems to have edited it worse..? My face is orange and shiny, and I know I didn't look like that on that day since another photographer took pictures that came out much nicer. I would post but I'm kinda self-conscious, even though it's not my fault.
Didn't bother asking or retouching it on my own, I'm just not going near that guy for future shoots.
>>
>>8714836
Generally, I've noticed it's free if the photographer asks the cosplayer, and it's paid if the cosplayer seeks out a photographer.
Obviously it varies, but it's a huge dick move to ask to take pictures of someone and then send them an invoice unprompted.
>>
How about you guys just support the photographers who do good work, and leave the amateurs alone?

There would never be a need for these kinds of threads if you only patronized the good photographers. The amateurs would learn by assisting us, and wouldn't flood the market with $10 shitfest shoots.
>>
I've had a photographer blow up at me for only asking if it was okay to edit with credit. It was a free photo shoot. He said that it's extremely offensive when models try to retouch their work because it's their "art" which I can understand. So he told me not to post his work at all if I thought it needed to be edited. My comm made fun of his poor retouching job in the comments. He still uses the pictures but I've never posted them on my social networks out of embarrassment.
>>
>>8719244
Lmao I love when photographers get all high and mighty thinking they're creating masterpieces when they won't even do off-site shoots at cons
>>
>>8717367
No, I agree. If you're shooting a 55 year old woman, it's going to look freaky if you try and edit her to look 20.
>>
>>8719472
For cosplay, yes. For editorial magazines, ehhh... they seem to like their women ageless.
>>
Why even bother with this?
>>
File: simplyfranklyhorrible.jpg (163KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
simplyfranklyhorrible.jpg
163KB, 960x640px
>>8721097
what those cosplayers were thinking
>>
>>8721097
Is that a Haikyuu uniform..?
What is even going on here.
>>
>>8710241
If you're paying (whether its wedding photos, senior portrait, or a cosplay), it's not unreasonable to ask for a round of edits. Clone brushing out a zit in three photos is a whole different thing from asking for drastic magazine cover type touch ups.

If you're paying 25 bucks for a photoshoot, you might as well have a friend shoot you on an iphone, because that's the level of quality you should expect. Natural light almost always beats an amateur who doesn't know how to use strobes.

If you're not paying anything, well, the photog doesn't really owe you anything. You gave permission to be photographed. If you don't like the photo, you could demand it not be displayed, but if you signed a photo release, then you're pretty much at their mercy. Shitty or not, they have the right to display it in their portfolio and exploit it for profit to whatever degree the release allows.
>>
>>8721097
Where to begin with this? And is he really so proud of this to watermark it?
>>
>>8721112
I lol'd.

I was at this shoot. The photographers were all so full of themselves. All this equipment, and the "don't fuck with me, I'm a bigtime cosplay photog".

And then I saw this shit pop up on Facebook...

I don't know how they get booked for work. He must shoot for free.
>>
>>8723377
Who were the photographers at this aside from this guy?
>>
>>8723402
I'm not a snitch.

But, reverse image searching should give you the Facebook event this came from, along with the list of people who attended.

Or you could ask anon who posted it, who is an East Coast community member who is obviously salty.

East Coast people always so salty.
>>
>>8723402
MochiPix's photos from the shoot were pretty good.
>>
>>8723410
are you blind? the name of the photographer is right there in the photo. Simply Frank Productions.
>>
>>8723410
>snarking about how arrogant the photogs were
>OHH THE ANON WHO POSTED IT MUST BE SO SALTY
??
>>
>>8723580
pretty good description of east coast bitches.
>>
>>8723607
>maybe just start a new katsucon or east coast photog thread since the last one is saging?
>>
>>8723717
why dont you make one. I'm too busy playing Battlefront.
>>
One of the problems I mostly have with friends/photogs editing photos is that I'm the most tan person in our groups most of the time, so when they edit, they make the contrast sky rocket so they look nice, but then I'm like a big saturated shadowy dark hole, so I secretly re-edit them when I want to use the photos.

It's a good thing I like doing photo edits.

Also, as a photog, it takes me a long while to give people back photos since I want to make sure the photos look good. Sometimes I get feedback from the people I shoot asking to change stuff, which is an anxiety blow to my ego, but I'm glad if they're glad, so I'm glad to make any fixes they want.
>>
>>8721097
most of the time, photogs that aren't interested in editing will just run all their photos through lightroom where they can automatically put their watermark on all the photos instead of one at a time. This was probably one of those.
>>
>>8723571

> >>8723377 (You)
> Who were the photographers at this aside from this guy?

Looks like my eyesight works... how about yours? :D
>>
>>8723580
I was there. wtf do I need to be snarky about arrogance for 2 weeks after the shoot for?

The salty people are the ones who felt the need to post photos from a small (obviously non-professional) shoot on here just to make fun.

I ain't saying he didn't desrve it, but...
>>
>>8724092
>the most tan person in our groups

Nigga, you BLACK.
>>
>>8710246

i know this photog personally, and have been shot by her, and they have gotten much better
>>
>>8724387
They couldn't get much worse.
>>
>>8723567
Yeah I just saw MochiPix start spamming their photo album in a couple of groups I'm in
>>
>>8712648
I see so many people on fb setting up photography pages and they don't have any sort of eye for photography at all - their photos just look like shit. I'm a professional cinematographer and seeing all those shitty photos with no attention to detail kills me every time I scroll.
>>
>>8726109
Amen.

They see that cosplayers are paying literally ANYONE with a camera to take pictures, so they take the money and the reputation boost that comes with it.

No self-respecting photographer would ever post a photo like >>8721097 and put their logo on it. It's not even a snapshot, it's like an accidental shutter press.

The guy didn't even give a fuck, probably. He just shot with the cosplayers and then shitted everything into Lightroom, and then shitted the results onto Facebook.
>>
>>8726117
Yep, the reality is that they see all these cosplayers, and they happen to have a dslr, so they think to themselves, here's my chance, then go and take photos that look like a tourist took them with a mobile phone.

If I ever, ever posted something like >>8721097 publicly, or had something like it appear in one of my films, my credibility would be in the toilet and I'd be finding a new career. I can't even comprehend what they were thinking to not just upload that photo, but put their watermark on it as if it's something to be proud of.

This is my first time here on /cgl/ and I have to say I'm very entertained.
>>
>>8726123
First time on /cgl/, eh? Then there's still time for you. Leave now and never return. :D

If you stay though, prepare for horrors beyond your wildest imaginings. Heh.
>>
I keep seeing this girl post herself all over east coast boards. Her editing is so bad, and yet she constantly calls herself a professional.
>adds idiotic light sources and triforces everywhere
>doesn't bother to even out skin tone differences between body paint and bodysuit and smooth out the seams of the suit

I saw this costume in person and the colors matched a lot better so I don't fucking know what she did in post.
>>
>>8726142
Yuck.

You should see the comments she makes in the Cosplay Photography Discussion group on FB. So pompous.
>>
>>8726142
those triforces look like shitty 80s tv logos
>>
>>8726142
This is a prime example of OP's questions. If I was the cosplayer in this photo, I would be mortified. Horrible lighting, horrible shoop. I wish I could see the cosplayer's face when they saw this online
>>
using this thread to try to ask advice.

>friend starts cosplaying more
>is pretty bad, not accurate and cheap as fuck
>begins getting 'photoshoots' from random people with cameras
>photos are so laughably bad it'd make some bad things ITT look amazing in comparison
>friend now thinks she's hot shit cause of all the 'photogs' shooting with her

it's not even about me wanting to take her down a peg, but the reality is these 'photographers' are just making everything so much worse. she's never going to improve because she thinks a few shit photos mean she's important, and the photos are terrible!
>>
>>8726215
Are they having fun? Do they like the photos? Then why say something?

There isn't really a nice way to say "yo, your entire participation in the hobby is an embarrassment to me". Just support your friend.

Are you a cosplayer, too? Your line "she thinks a few shit photos mean she's important" sounds kinda jelly. Maybe you're being a crappy friend
>>
>>8726215
If it's for fun, then any photo she's in is a "good photo" -- if she likes it.

If she's trying to be a "cosplay model" or do serious work, you can't take bad photos. They tarnish your brand.

But I feel for you; I've shown some cosplayers what real photos look like, and they still take absolute shit photos with other photographers and hype them up on their pages relentlessly.
>>
>>8726153
She's a horrible person. I've seen her try to get out of paying for photoshoot events in which cosplayers and photographers alike chip in to rent out the space-- because she's a professional, cosplayers are really getting her services for free, so she shouldn't have to pay. Uch.

>>8726213
She completely wrecked J Hart, which is a feat, and he responded with nothing but kindness because he's a very nice person. I really wonder how horrified he was on the inside, though.

Also
>that off-center chandelier
>>
>>8726326
She's not a professional.

Look at fashion magazines. Those are professionals.
>>
>>8726245
>>8726237
i think you missed the point where i said she thinks she's hot shit. she actually believes she's going to become a cosplay model. i've basically done what >>8726245 and she still thinks she's going to get some where.

also she's definitely not having fun some of the time, she bitches all about how much her 'shoots' stress her out at cons and she wish she wasn't under all the pressure.

>sounds kinda jelly
nah, i only vaguely cosplay as a vague hobby, she just is pissing me off with her attitude.
>>
>>8726332
oh, I know she's not a professional. She really genuinely thinks she is though.
>>
>>8726333
So then just wait for her to fall on her ass. It most certainly will be happening soon, with that attitude.
>>
>>8726326
Oh looooord, I never thought I'd see a bad photo of this costume, but it's just so horrible and they made him look so manly, poor J Hart :/
>>
>>8726489
>they made him look so manly

Tumblr, pls go.
>>
>>8726489
>>8726508
How's that even possible. He's a man! Too manly?
>>
>>8726508
>>8726541
He's crossplaying, though, and he does a lot of tricks with makeup, wig, and corseting to look as feminine as possible. Given how angular his face is, he generally does a pretty good job. I don't think >>8726489 was being Tumblr, they were saying that he tries to look as feminine as possible since he's cosplaying a female character, and her editing reversed his efforts. That's all.
>>
Her simpler edits are better. This composite shit not good. Especially paying customers.
>>
>>8726326
>>8726142
Some of her photos are decent. I like her photo of Mangoe. Very cute.
>>
>>8726326
Ayy lmao
I checked the photographer's fb page and J. Hart still said "Ahhhh! Thank you!" on the photo. He is too kind of a person.
>>
>>8726760
Hi Lisamarie
>>
>>8726326
Think she'll be the next Lauren Phil? Ahh good times then. Watching all my cos fame hungry friends scurrying around trying to get that cunt to take their pictures.
>>
>>8727103
difference is, lauren pihl can actually edit. She could the next AssB
>>
>>8727114
She did okay editing. It was never anything amazing. Plus she had to go to court last I heard for fucking folk over.
>>
>>8726326
she just posted this as her featured work in the katsucon 2016 facebook group i died.
>>
some of her shit is ok
>>
>>8727315
this looks like a shittily processed walgreens film photograph from the 90s scanned in on a dusty scanner
>>
>>8716078

When I still attended UO I always kinda wanted to shoot Doctor Who cosplayers in front of that building, but I didn't know any good ones and I would never make them stand in that nasty-ass infinity pool.

I did shoot a nice Tiger&Bunny shoot in Willamette Hall though, and I always wanted to shoot FMA in there but there weren't any active FMA cosplayers on campus.
>>
>>8727315
As much as I hate to admit it, this one is good. It might have looked better without the matte edit, but it's still good.

But that cosplayer can make ANYTHING look good.
>>
>>8727315
Was this supposed to be okay? It looks like she ran it through an Instagram filter after scanning it on a dirty scanner. What's the sense/reasoning behind the white specks all over the photo?
>>
>>8727978
Beats me you'd have to ask her about the spots. All I said is its ok.
>>
she just posted some magi photos. they're just. bad. so bad.
>>
>>8726142
I'm more concerned with the terrible construction on the skirt
>>
>>8728672
>>8726142
>I'm wearing a bodysuit but it's supposed to be my skin! Just keep that in mind if you decide to edit it!

Said not the cosplayer

or

Said/didn't say the cosplayer, and the photographer decided to not blend in the skin tone and edit out bodysuit seams
>>
>>8728700
did you even read what I said? The skirt is puckering something terrible and the alignment is really off on the bottom. Plus the fabric itself is just gross.
>>
>>8728704
I am agreeing with you that the construction and editing is shit
>>
>shoot film
>complain about looking bad

Can't blame the camera for your flaws.
>>
>>8728722
no, but you can blame the shitty photographer who posed you that way with crappy lighting, posing, composition, etc.

>which is the purpose of this thread
>>
>>8713363
why use a fake skin texture on top, this is horrible.
>>
>>8713367
seriously, I can't understand. You have a perfectly natural skin texture, you just retouch the flaws away and apply the texture more evenly, the end result is so much better than shooping fake skin pores on. Why the fuck.
>>
>>8713363
jesus fucking christ what is wrong with her skin
>>
>>8713363
This looks like shit, why are people saying it's a good example? It just screams Photoshop.
>>
>>8726142
>even out skin tone differences between body paint and bodysuit and smooth out the seams of the suit

I admit I'm not into the con scene, but is that really what people expect? They're photographing you in the costume you made--why should they be obliged to spend hours covering up the blemishes? At what point are you essentially expecting them to just wizard you up a new CGI costume that doesn't suck?
>>
>>8732107
Only if you're paying the photographer. If it's a free shoot, I don't think you're entitled to any editing. You should be able to get the pictures and that's it.
>>
>>8713350
>>8713347
These are professional models who make a living because they have flawless skin.

There is likely at least one person getting paid 50 bucks an hour JUST for hair. And another JUST for makeup. And a studio full of lighting equipment, and at least one more pro who never even touches the camera, just sets the lights at the direction of the photographer. Then it goes to someone who does nothing but edit glamour shots, day after day.

There are people in this thread with delusional expectations and probably over inflated egos wrt their own appearance.
>>
>>8732107
>>8732116
Agreed, but my point is obviously she spent a lot of time editing this and doing the composite part, so I'm surprised she didn't also edit the suit.
>>
>>
>>8732178
Holy brightness and saturation, Batman!
>>
>>8732178
Enough. I'm tired of seeing these gorgeous cosplayers getting completely ruined by these amateur ass "photographers".

Look at the legs on these girls. All you had to do was expose correctly and get them in focus, and you'll have something decent. Instead, this guy shits out this picture.

Fucking amateurs.
>>
>>8732176
Eh, if she's doing the triforce all the time, she probably just copy pastes a layer and tweaks the color.

Plus, it looks retarded. Merging a spandex costume with someone's skin and cleanly erasing the seams could take actual talent.
>>
>>8726142
>>8726326
I'd be a lot more forgiving of her work if it weren't for her horrific attitude. Her photos read as "overenthusiastic beginner" but then she claims to be a pro and says shit like pic related for an ALREADY FREE photoshoot event.

Whatever you say, honey, everybody's already done with your shit.
>>
File: urghhhh.jpg (69KB, 507x132px) Image search: [Google]
urghhhh.jpg
69KB, 507x132px
>>8733271
Why does Facebook have to put your profile picture on every post now. Facebook, please.
>>
>>8732107
Eh.. there's a huge gap between editing out a couple pimples and completely changing your cosplay.
I think if you photograph people, you should always touch-up the face and fix the colors/lighting, whatever's necessary. Don't spend more than 10 minutes on a free picture.
Now if you're paid, then it depends on your skill and how much they paid you.
>>
>>8733271
she stole my model right under meat ausa. silly cosplayers think three studio strobes means she's a pro. who's laughing now?
>>
>>8733354
Cosplayers will always be thirsty. Hopefully they'll catch wise when they realize all they get back is overprocessed shit.
>>
>>8733354
They are. They actually think her work looks good. :D
P.S. You're a pussy for letting someone take your model.

>>8733271
That bitch is an AMATEUR. The vast majority of cosplay photographers are AMATEURS.

Look at a photographer's work and compare it to the very best photographers around. If they're not holding their own, don't work with them. Period.
>>
>>8733271
I can't believe the self-important shit that comes out of her. The form response she gave the people throwing themselves at her when she first posted in that Facebook group still has me salty. Now she's spamming every few hours about her giveaway and I'm about to lose my mind.

>>8733354
That is fucking deplorable behavior. I'm so sorry she did that to you, anon.
>>
>>8713347
DSL
S
L
>>
>>8724386
um no. just brown
>>
>>
File: 1447463984795.jpg (28KB, 298x244px) Image search: [Google]
1447463984795.jpg
28KB, 298x244px
>>8715579
yeah I see it
>>
>>8726646
Yeah that's exactly what I meant, he always looks so flawlessly feminine in his crossway shots, even still pretty unisex in his male costumes, and he just looks like a guy in a dress here. Also what's with the weird light / glitter edit on his cheeks?
>>
>>8733790
This looks more like line / painted art than a photograph.

If it was retouched that way, I'm not mad at it. it's not done badly.
>>
>>8726326
This is arguably the worst photo of J Hart I have ever seen. I adore him and the photographer should be ashamed for doing such disservice.

Terrible composition. the arch coming out of his head.
>>
>>8733790
Composition isn't great, but they are aiming more for a digital art than photograph, so the over processing is fine in that respect. It's not horrible, but okay.
>>
anyone else? this thread is dead
>>
>>8735142
>>
>>8735145
>>
>>8735146
>>
>>8735146

How
>>
>>8711560
IDK if you posted this photo as a good example, but I really dont like these kinds of over-processed, gaussian blur monstrosities

do this with a purikura app, not with a DSLR

I'm sure this picture would have looked much cuter with the current lighting, a bit of skin smoothing, and voila
>>
>>8726326
holy shit i didn't even realize this was J Hart
wow i feel terrible for him =\
>>
>>8736590
I have more if ya want.
>>
>>8736640

Anon do you get off on other people's suffering?

That's kinda hot. Post more please.
>>
>>8736696
Depends on the suffering I inflict. But sharing is caring.
>>
>>8736696
>>
>>8735145
>>8735146
>>8735148
>>8736708
>>8736713

OMFG WAT IS THIS

This person should have their camera taken away and shoved up their ass. It'll probably be of better use there.
>>
>>8736947
I discovered this person after some girl on my fb was raving about making her sailor moon look 'awesome' The one I first posted.

Well that looks bad but hey they could be just doing a fast one right? Nope go on their fb link and see these and just Oh the pain.
>>
>>8727315
>>8726326
Goo junky thinks she is top shit. I'm side eyeing everyone I know who likes her photos
>>
Its sad to see people liking and heaping compliments on this photo
>>
>>8732178
Sadly this guy's photos are mediocre at best from what I see on his Facebook

>>8726326
>>8726142
What the hell, these look like really bad paintings

>>8721097
please sell your camera already

>>8735145
>>8735146
>>8735148
>>8736708
i'm speechless on how bad these are. these remind me of those shitty disposable film camera that had a built-in bokeh feature
>>
>>8711560
Then hire someone to do glamour shots and fix your face.
>>
>>8738139
fucking lighting how does it work
>>
great editing bro
>>
>>8739399
>>
>>8739402
this dude really think he's a good photographer when he's pure shit
>>
>>8739404
more of his "great" work
>>
>>
>>8741333

*Pokemon jingle fades in*
Who's that cosplay?
>>
>>8741333
I've worked with this photographer when she was cosplaying. She's weird af. 0/10 would not shoot her again.
>>
>>8741701
>weird af

Do explain
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-18-43-56.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-18-43-56.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Oh man... the editing in this is so bad. Just posted too.
>>
>>8741733
What's up with the bottom of her shoes lol
>>
>>8742222
Nothing? They look like flat pumps with fabric over them. The light just looks weird
>>
>>8742226
Its not. Its bad editing. her butt has been edited, her leg, her arms, her neck area, the back of her neck, and then you have the whole mess with her shoes. This whole photo is editing and it has been done in such a shitty way. You can see every single piece and none of it has been done to give the look of not being edited. Are you blind, anon?
>>
>>8743241
Chill the fuck out, I was commenting on the bottom of her shoes, not on anything else. I said 'they look like', meaning I was just throwing a guess out there.

I knew the rest had been edited

Someone shit in your frosted flakes this morning apparently
>>
>>8743246
The bottoms are blurry af
>>
>>8742222
looks like the clone stamp got loose and ran crazy
>>
>>8741344
miku?
>>
Photographers need to research their characters too. You can't give them skills they don't have, like the sample here. Noob thinks Mara Jade has energy powers
>>
>>8744392
Maybe she's blocking energy from blasters? She's a Jedi after all
>>
>>8744503
looks more like a lens flare
>>
>>8744392

Oh that's just cringe for god's sake do some google search and if you're not sure don't do anything fucking goddddd....
>>
>>8744392
>>8744527
>>8745335
You guys are idiots, its obvious she's blocking laser blasts, see the one to her right of her head
>>
>>8743258
The bottoms are blurry as fuck. Anon is just an idiot to think that it is the costume and not editing.
>>
>>8745378

Then you failed your job as a photographer to convey that properly. Learn how light is blocked on leather material and learn how to photoshop.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 760x924px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 760x924px
>>8713350
kek
>>
>>8744392
No wonder she does most of her own edits now.

>>8745378
Defending trash like this will lead them nowhere. They need years of training before being allowed to touch a camera again.
>>
>>
>>8745505
>>
File: Oh no.jpg (188KB, 1385x904px) Image search: [Google]
Oh no.jpg
188KB, 1385x904px
>>8745505
>>8745508

Oh no....

Anon.... nooo....
>>
>>
>>8745592
This should not exist.

You know what this is? This is what happens when you say, "I don't want to get nude for male photographers cuz they're creepy".

You pose for a female photographer with shit skills, and you get posted on 4chan.
>>
>>8745505
This isn't bad... except for the fact that nothing is in focus.

But then again, I guess because there's cleavage, I'm giving it a pass...
>>
>>8712442
If you agree to do it in the first place and you charge the cosplayer for it then you're the one at fault here. Get off your soap box.
If you say you're gonna do it then woman the fuck up and hold up your side of the deal.
If not make it clear from the beginning that you won't.
>>
>>8714288
Gosh you must get pissed at yourself everyday.
>>
Can I get some advice seagulls?
I like doing free photo shoots simply because I enjoy taking pictures and interacting with other cosplayers. I do not however have super photo shop skills and can only do the bare minimum. Basically I do this to learn and improve.
That all being said at what point do I need to cut it off and say, "I know this isn't professional but I had fun so here let me post some photos. "
>>
>>8746011
IMO if you are just doing it for fun and let the cosplayer know ahead of time not to expect much then it's fine.
You can't learn if you don't preform so that's a good way to get started.
YOU DO need to get a grasp on editing if you ever do plan to charge though. There are plenty of tutorials around to get you started.
Other than that just have fun with it and learn from mistakes.
>>
>>8745972
Totally not a woman. :D

>>8745977
I don't get pissed; I do good work, and if it's something / someone I want to show off in my portfolio, I'll do it, even for free. But if it's some ugmo, or a fatty-chan, why should I bust my ass?

That said, I've never had a complaint on my retouching, no matter how much or little work I've put in, ever.
>>
>>8746011
If you're doing it for free and having fun, post whatever you want. People recognize when you're not trying to be zOMG PRO FOTOG! xD

But if you want to get better, seriously, don't just shoot. You'd be better off going to a photographer in your area whose work you admire, and assisting them. Learning eyes and hands on is the best way. You'll improve 5 times as fast.

Also, don't get a big head. That's the fastest way to get crapped on around here.
>>
>>8746021
There is a difference between
> fatty chan which requires shit tons of editing
And
> hire a professional makeup artist to hide blemishes.
Big difference.
>>
>>8746026
Thanks! There are a few local shops but nothing major. And no big head here. I recognize that my shit is indeed shit haha. I could possibly ask to tag along with photographer who comes to the local con.
Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>8746030
Honestly since you're readily admiting that you need to improve you are already ahead of half the shit lords postings here.
>>
>>8746016
and never post on CGL
>>
>>8746026
I've seen people posted on here without big heads, but vendettas because some people are jealous of who they frequently work with or others get more exposure or perks and they'll end up here anyways despite being good people
>>
>>8746049
Agreed, but you can't control that, so I didn't even mention it. People hate for any number of reasons.

>>8746027
Even skinny girls can require tons of editing (pun not intended), if their skin is bad. I meant, I won't put in a lot of work for a subject I'm not inspired by. And I might not do the work at all if they're gonna bitch and complain.

>>8746030
Anytime. It's refreshing to talk to somoene nice on here for a change.
>>
>>8746075
Seagull and nice are antonoyms for sure haha.
I started poking around the con page to see if there was anybody worth tagging behind. So far no, however it is a smaller con.
>>
>>8746159
>>8746011

Which con?
>>
>>8746192
Sodak. I got stationed in South Dakota so my options are limited. If I don't deploy I may go to San Diego comic con.
>>
>>8745505
Her hand looks like someone falling off the ledge is grabbing her shoulder hanging on for life...
>>
>>8745592
There were 3 people there and NO ONE thought to brush those damn wigs
>>
>>8745592
While the photograph and wigs are shit, I think the bodies themselves really suit the characters.
>panty is a lean, tanned looking strumpet
>stocking is a lumpy lolita from eating sweets and sitting
>>
>>8747487

Fair I guess but if I were a photographer I'd avoid having so much detail of Stocking's pudge. I mean, yeah a girl like her (character) does eat sweets out the ass and she did get ridiculously fat that one episode. But uh...

it's possible to look chubby without the detail that makes it very unflattering.
>>
>>8748347
But fat acceptance! Kek harsh lighting, poor editing causing her skin to blotch is disgusting and mean to do to your models, but those aren't models those are wet mops and you can't tell me otherwise. The photographer failed and so did her models. They should feel as dirty as they look.
>>
File: the photoshop.png (1MB, 608x931px) Image search: [Google]
the photoshop.png
1MB, 608x931px
>>
>>8748438
why is it so jagged is this 2005
>>
>>8748434
A-fucking-men
>>
>>8748585
Models should know that if they have back rolls, if they hunch forward on a photo being taken from behind, they still stretch out. Then you just roll your shoulders back and lift your neck back to make it look like you aren't hunching and just correct the shadows and lighting in post. It kills me when a photographer doesn't have, like, an assistant to pose the models. This is why I am a poser for my photographer. I help set the poses for his angles and he takes care of the images.
>>
>>8748434

Anon, I totally get what you mean and I agree. But if I were to take a guess at that particular pic of Panty and Stocking it's either the photographer didn't edit all of the rolls and blotching out or the clarity she added onto the pic added blotchiness when she could've gone the opposite direction to make he skin easier to manage.

But then again I might just be trying really hard to excuse the cosplayer. I just can't imagine a body being so bad that editing it makes it look like the pic.
Thread posts: 255
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.