[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else missing out on the cosplay fun? I'm totally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: 1441953234320.jpg (220KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1441953234320.jpg
220KB, 1366x2048px
Anyone else missing out on the cosplay fun?

I'm totally broke, jobless, in college. I live in New Zealand and don't have any friends. So I never get to cosplay or even try to.

I'm really envious of you guys for having such cool costumes, and friends you can share the fun with. I just don't know if I'll ever get the chance to do the same :/
>>
>>8686210

whore yourself out for costume money.
>>
>>8686210
Perhaps once you finish college you'll have been smart enough to get into a field that'll get you the money you want for cosplay.
>>
File: 1429839182033.jpg (42KB, 546x432px) Image search: [Google]
1429839182033.jpg
42KB, 546x432px
>tfw went to grad school instead of getting a job
>tfw I'll have dickloads of money just in time to be "that 26 year old guy at the con"

hooray
>>
My autism at cons prevents me from doing anything beyond standing and walking.
>>
>>8686244
Dude at least you're not a fucking 28 year old lolita who can't get her life together.

>inb4 fuck the haters wear sweet until you die
being old sucks and it never gets better, you just end up dying. Sure I'll wear brand on my death bed, but it's not going to be any fun is it.
>>
>>8686210
>I'm totally broke, jobless, in college
Who's paying for things, then?
Go out, get a job. Don't think fast food is beneath you. This is the ground floor of employment. Things go up from there.
>>
>>8686310
a-are you me?
>>
>>8686359
I'm glad someone else gets it.

...how many dresses do you got cause I'm just getting started but I've got one in my closet and two more coming. I feel like I'm very late to getting into the hobby and would have done so sooner if I had money back when I first saw it. I wish I had saved up back then.
>>
>>8686408

I'm 25 now and I've been lurking here and talking about buying a dress for at least 5 years. At least I'm mostly interested in Gothic which can work nicely for older people... It's got to be tough for Sweet lovers.
>>
>>8686408
>>8686442

.. Forgot to mention that I was a different poster, not the one you were asking the question to.
>>
>>8686210
>I'm totally broke, jobless, in college.
So you're like most cosplayers.

>I live in New Zealand and don't have any friends.
You have cons in NZ. Armageddon is alright IIRC. Cosplay and get involved in the community, you'll make friends there.
>>
>>8686452
I'm a Kiwi and the NZ threads we have are really bad. Doesn't seem like an actual community.
I can understand why OP feels that way when there's about two chances to cosplay a year here and you see people in other countries doing a lot more. OP probably needs to be proactive and find people within the hobby instead of just sitting round focusing on the money side of things but it's not going to be easy here.
>>
File: kittysees.png (123KB, 278x351px) Image search: [Google]
kittysees.png
123KB, 278x351px
>>8686244
26 is too old for cons now?
>>
>>8686244
>> thinking that grad school will automatically get you a well-paying job

Oh you sweet summer child. You need connections, too. It's a different type of whoring yourself out. Less skeevy, but still whoring yourself out. Good luck, seriously. Polish up that resume and get an internship at a fortune 500 company.
>>
>>8686244
>stopped after I got my BA because lol libarts
>made it pretty alright despite that
>didn't start cosplaying until last year
>am now 26

It's not that bad, anon. Just be aware that you are, in fact, a 26-year-old at the con. Hang out with other people your age and take care of the people younger than you so they don't do anything really stupid that they'll regret.

Think of it as practice for chaperoning your kid's school events in a decade, except the kids sometimes appreciate it. You're basically the team dad by default, so embrace it.
>>
>>8686533
I'm 22 and I feel too old. Everyone seems to be stuck in some squeel-glomp-yaoi-paddle phase.
>>
>>8686244
>>8686613
My boyfriend is 28 and his sister is 30. I tag along with them to cons from time to time and while he fits the role of the responsible chaperoning team dad perfectly... his sister is really no different than any of the sixteen year old squealing weebs there. She gives no fucks and seems to enjoy herself immensely.
>>
>>8686640
>Everyone seems to be stuck in some squeel-glomp-yaoi-paddle phase.

This. It's really embarrassing to be a functional adult but still in "the fandom." There isn't a very populated middle ground between "autistic manchild" and "smug adult fan."
>>
>>8686210
You aren't missing shit.

For every Mako-chan like the one in your post there are 40 hambeasts, crazy bitches, salty dudes, and perverts.
>>
I get that being jobless and not having funds is going to play into not being able to cosplay, but I also don't have any cosplaying friends and i go to the one con we have here every year.
I go with my sister (she's nearing 30) but she's also still pretty weeby. I don't mind, it's one weekend we get to dress up (me) and act dumb (her).

If you really want to cosplay, go with simple things that don't cost a lot of money. You can be thrifty in cosplay and still make it look passable to good. You won't make it to "the best" lists but as long as you have fun, why not, eh? Then once you get money you can throw your disposable income on improving.
>>
>>8686578
"Dickloads of money" refers to having an actual adult job as opposed to being unemployed. I know how my field works fam, already got dem internships. Just biding my time.
>>
>>8686442
>I've been lurking here and talking about buying a dress for at least 5 years
Well you may not be the other person but we have some shut in common.
I found out about lolita cause I found a book a long time ago with street snaps in it. I looked up the dresses and they were too expensive so I ignored it which is good because at the time I thought fairy kei and Decora were a part of lolita.. I didn't even know what Decora was but I would randomly incorporate band aids and hair clips in my bangs because I knew people elsewhere were doing it.
Now that I actually know what Decora is I'm not as interested.

I finally started making a decent amount of money this year so I can afford to drop 400 on a dress. I haven't yet, but I will.
>>
>>8686408
At the moment I've only got 3 dresses and 6 skirts. When I first got into lolita in like 2010 I was stuck in a minimum wage job and had 0 disposable income, then decided to get my BA (after not being in school for years), was completely broke while getting that, and I've only just a few months ago found a job that actually pays a grown up wage (and I've not been able to spend much of it because a bunch of crazy shit has been happening)

I feel like I will be ancient by the time I get my shit together :(
>>
I'm 23, graduated from uni, and have a well paying job. But I can't drive, am chronically ill, and I don't have any friends. It's hard to maintain friendships when you don't have transportation and am prone to sudden sickness, and now that I'm out of college, I have no clue how to even make new friends.

I still manage to go to one local con a year, but wish I had more excuses to make cosplay shit. I don't even really care for going to the actual con (travel is tough when you're perpetually nauseated), but I just fucking love arts and crafts. I've been considering just learning more general fashion sewing/crafts and more general DIY things to quench this passion.
>>
im a fat black dude so yeah,not many options.

my entire motivation for working out is cosplaying weeb shit.
>>
>>8686856
>>8686856
as someone who drifted through college getting degree my parents wanted me to get, then burned out after a couple years in said industry (realizing there was no vertical advancement available without a master's), I ended up in a similar friendless boat as you

what i ended up doing was just working something i enjoyed (in my case in restaurant kitchens, which is how i got out of college virtually debt-free), and going out and just DOING things. board game nights, day hikes, rock climbing, building models, cheap robotics. after bit i got used to making myself get out of bed even on days off, if only to take a walk and read a book in a park (or do a shitload of house cleaning). eventually i got in contact with people who had shared interests and now my social life is more active at 27 than it was in college.

then again, I realize as an able-bodied male it's a different scenario but it worked for me.
>>
Yep. Been lurking my whole life.

I started a cosplay four years ago and don't have the confidence to finish it because I'm afraid I'll end up in a cringe thread here.
>>
I'm just one of those people that dabbles in a ton of hobbies but doesn't excel at any of them. I can sew a little, I know how to shop around on international sites, I like drawing and making some crafts, but it's not like I'm as good as anything I see online or at some conventions. The no friends thing also makes me wary of going to any cons or trying to join a comm or something.

>>8686442
>I'm 25 now and I've been lurking here and talking about buying a dress for at least 5 years. At least I'm mostly interested in Gothic which can work nicely for older people...
I finally jumped the hurdle into buying egl clothing because I turned 23. My birthday was terrible in general and browsing /cgl/ every week just made me get into this "oh shit, I'm actually getting too old to get into this sort of fashion" do or die mode.
>>
>>8688563
My bday was terrible too anon but i turned 25, i feel at times too old not for lolita but in general like a big phobia of getting old since ages, odd... i look younger compared to my peers. It doesn't help i love pastel vomit sweet and plain gothic, i want to dress it when i'm old as fuck but i'm a shut in that rarely goes out for meets. I buy lolita items, i have some burando and i fear to not wear them enough.
I know the feel to not being that great in hobbies, i create really cute items but i'm a lazy bum lately, depression kicks out due to a traumatic event happened some months ago (love stuff), i need also to study for my exams. I need to get out from my hikki life.
>>8686856
I have a driving license thing is have a driving phobia. I'm full of anxiety i know.
I'm working on being a healtier human being, it's really hard i know.
>>
>>8688484
Just curious what degree did you get?
>>
>almost 30
>mid five digit salary
>still going to cons having fun
wouldn't be surprised if I hit 60 and still go to cons
>>
>>8686696
this is by far the most underrated post in this thread. Even if it's more thrifty cosplay, it's affordable and looks well enough to cosplay in. You can still get out there. I wouldn't be concerned about being cosfamous like salty bitches on here are. Just have fun and make friends.
>>
>>8689430
psychology
>>
>>8686687
100% agree
>>
>>8686613
>Hang out with other people your age
I don't want to hang out with people under 18, but at the same time, I don't see why anyone over the age of 18 is "off limits". I donno, maybe it's just me getting a bit jaded at the fact that I won't be able to go out to cons until I'm done with school at the age of 24-25.
>>
I'd like to get into it, but I suck at hand sewing and have a phobia of sewing machines (don't ask)
>>
>>8690140
>phobia of sewing machines
>(don't ask)
>bringing personal baggage into a public setting
>'tee hee don't ask!'

fuck off any time attention whore
>>
>>8690140

Please kill yourself
>>
>>8690140
fuck off cunt
>>
>>8690140
Several options to consider:
Buy premade costumes
Buy clothes, have someone else alter
If you have someone to alter, have them help with the sewing part of the cosplay anyway, you can make the props or non-sewing details

Like OP said, just do it.

>>8690633
>>8690637
>>8690799
samefag pls
>>
Fuck you guys, you are scaring me. I turned fucking 27 a month ago and i still love this culture like i did 7 years ago.

Please don't tell me im too old for this shit. I don't want to hide in my flat for the rest of my days.
>>
>>8691211
Hm, wrong OP. That's what I get for having multiple threads open.
>>
>>8691215

No. But like

>>8686687
>>8686640
>>8689669

have implied it's pretty hard to find people around your age that are just as big of fans but also don't make you cringe. I'm 27 as well and I have 1 IRL friend and 5 online friends who meet these criteria, heh.
>>
File: 1446179349148.png (1MB, 513x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1446179349148.png
1MB, 513x1117px
I'm missing out on it too, OP.

I don't have any online friends I could meet up with irl and even if I did, It would probably be incredibly awkward. Let alone real life friends.

I have no idea what I would even do at a con, I don't feel for things so much that I'd be excited to look around and stuff like I imagine you guys would be. I'd probably be like, Oh yeah that's cool i guess, walk some more and think the same thing. That's how I imagine I'd be. I'm in Los Angeles so I'd probably be able to go to a bunch of big cons yearly but I just can't imagine myself doing these things... I'm too much of a shut in/friendless loser

However, I do have some people who cosplay on my friendslist on facebook for some reason even though I don't know them and sometimes they post pictures about cosplay stuff or they like some other cosplay person's status and I see it and they look so cool and cute and seem like they have a ton of fun. You guys are my other source of cosplay stuff. I don't come here regularly but i do sometimes and when I do, I feel jealous and yearning in my heart at all your stories of meeting cuties, having fun, posting your projects and just being creative and passionate in general.

I definitely feel like I'm missing out.
But I don't feel like I fit in here or anywhere else really

No money, No friends, non white/asian so making friends is kinda hard + nobody to cosplay as, no creativity or passion to spur myself into doing these kind of things. I can only feel jealousy and watch everyone else, it feels like.

Hopefully I make sense, I'm a bit under the influence while typing this.
>>
File: 2 - 3IyOzIE.png (613KB, 775x516px) Image search: [Google]
2 - 3IyOzIE.png
613KB, 775x516px
>>8691215

Hey, >>8693804 here
I only turned 19 and I feel already told old. Maybe just my spirit is old but I feel like I'd have nothing in common with people who go to cons... Maybe I'm looking for friends in the wrong place.
>>8688472
I believe in you, anon.

From what I've seen a lot of people... Well maybe I can't speak for /cgl/ but on /v/, people tend to enjoy black cosplay.

>>8688551
Practice is perfect? Maybe finish your cosplay and if you don't like how it turns out, try again and improve? I doubt you'll get a perfect cosplay on your first try?
I don't know shit about cosplaying though. Just my thoughts.
>>
>>8693806
>19
>too old
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>8693809
I know it sounds odd. Never mind, it's probably not my age that's incompatible, just my mentality.
>>
bump tbh
>>
>>8688563
Anon you are me, jack of all trades master of none. It's depressing as hell and I wish I could have one or two pro level skills and not worry about the rest.
>>
I'm an ex-fatty chan who gained an interest in cosplay several years ago, but it's taken me forever to lose weight because of stupid medications that make me eat too much. I've only been losing 10-15 pounds per year. I'm currently 5'7" and 130 lbs, but still have another 20 lbs to lose before I'll be able to look good in any of my planned cosplays. I need to get my fucking act together, at this rate I'll be too old to look kawaii in cosplay by the time I get to my goal weight.

So I know that feel, OP. I don't have many friends into cosplay, either. They keep making excuses like "I don't like crowds" or "I've already been" every time I invite them to a con.
>>
>>8693979
I find this weird because you're saying you can't look good in your costumes until you're 5'7" and 110 lbs, but I'm 5'4" and 160 lbs and my pictures pop up on here all the time with literally no one ever having called me fat. I've worn body suits and bikinis without one single comment about my body.
>>
>>8693979
You have some serious disphoria issues, you need a doctor.
>>
>>8694070
Most of the cosplays I want to do are crossplays. That's why I need to be thin.

If I were planning on cosplaying shapely sexy women, I'd be fine with my current weight.
>>
>>8694136
Why is it so bad if someone wants to be skinny?
>>
I'm 22 and I've been wanting to go to cons and cosplay for a few years now but I have a thyroid problem. I know I've heard of people who bring up that as an excuse for not working out or whatever but it really is a problem for me. I just look and feel like shit 24/7 and I can never gain or lose weight. I used to be really dedicated to working out. I'm way too tired to do anything and I feel like I'm wasting my life.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
>>8694214
Buy these, take two as soon as you get up, and you will have the energy of a 10-year-old with ADHD after drinking 5 cups of coffee.

I struggled with fatigue because of psych meds and these pills really helped me gain enough energy to exercise my ass off (quite literally).
>>
>>8694218 Thank you for the advice, but I read that too much caffeine isn't good for the thyroid. Plus, regular coffee and soda never gives me that boost.
>>
>>8694339
Ah. I never really got a boost from coffee or diet soda either. For some reason the pills work so much better, and they give you a full boost of energy that lasts until 10pm.

But you do what's best for your health. That's the most important thing.
>>
>>8694188
She already is but thinks she's too fat to cosplay. Her disphoric ideas on her body is already effecting her life and keeping her from doing what she wants. Body disphoria tends to go hand in hand eating disorders. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already showing sings of that.
>>
File: 1445932275042.jpg (213KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445932275042.jpg
213KB, 1600x960px
Male characters are mostly athletic young teenagers, extremely muscular giants or ugly fat blobs.
I'm too manly and tall for the teenage characters, too fat for the giants and too thin for the fat blobs.

So i really lack options.
>>
File: 1.jpg (14KB, 245x135px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
14KB, 245x135px
I wish I still had an inner child and could let loose and have fun at cons again.
>mfw at a con
>>
>>8694406
Lose some fucking weight
>>
>>8694478
I still don't have enough muscle for those characters.
>>
>>8694493
>>8694478
Fucking /vg/

But lifting weights will also build muscle. Go to >>>/fit/ and follow the sticky
>>
I feel you, OP. My 23 birthday just passed and I had to fight from killing myself because I've wasted the last two years doing nothing (I've been dealing with chronic, treatment-resistant depression). I'm not as thin as I would like, my skin is getting worse, and I'm getting older. And I still haven't cosplayed even though I've been on this board since its conception. I wish I was good enough to cosplay. I wish I was good enough for life and not a lonely, friendless NEET.

>>8694218
Not that anon, but I don't think you realize what a thyroid problem is. She does not need caffeine, whatsoever. Her body cannot convert resources to energy, caffeine won't do anything but further harm her heart (and people with hypothyroid tend to have the risk of heart problems due to their conditions). Don't give such harmful advice :(

>>8694418
Same. I wish I could let go like I did when I was a full weeb, but I can't. I'm too tied down by societal obligations.
>>
>>8694543
I guess I don't then, do I?

Pardon my ignorance, I was only trying to help.
>>
>>8694585
Sorry, I shouldn't have said it so rudely :(
>>
>>8694614
You weren't rude at all, don't worry. I probably should've done a Google search before giving out bad advice.

I'm glad you pointed it out to me.
>>
>>8694543
Please kill yourself
>>
>>8694624
Edgelord autist detected. >>>/b/ is that way.
>>
>>8694624
Why?
>>
>>8694543
Try to keep your head up and stay focused on your treatment. Remember that the opinions you have about yourself right now are just your depression talking, once you get better you'll have a completely different outlook on things. Don't give up, there's still hope no matter what.
>>
>>8694661
Thanks, anon. Trying to take it a day at a time. Hopefully I'll be "recovered"/coping by the Spring and I can start actually cosplaying in the fall. I can't go through my 24th birthday without having cosplayed something I've made at least once, I'll go insane.
>>
>>8686210
hehe im worst, im broke, in college, with work but i live in mexico so i barely make it to live each week
i just want to cosplay and meet cute girls an get a girlfriend that shares my nerdyness
>>
>Loved to cosplay in college but didn't have money
>Graduated and make boatloads of money in finance
>Work too many hours a day
>No time to sew or work on cosplay
>Can't take days off for cons

Buying pre-made costumes just doesn't feel the same. Fuck.
>>
>>8694543
>>8694388
I'm the person with the thyroid problem. Thanks a lot, anon 1,but yeah, too much caffeine would be harmful. I really appreciate the help though!
Oh, and I'm a guy, haha.
Anon 2, thanks and I can relate. I work a shitty job and I feel terrible each day. I definitely wasted years waiting to feel better and sometimes i feel like dying. Hopefully I get better soon since I increased my dose. I want to get in better shape and cosplay in time for summer conventions. I hope things go well for you.
>>
>>8686244
I'm not even 20 yet and some of my con friends are late 20's, one is turning 30 in a month. I joke around and have just as much fun with them as I do with my teenage friends. What are you worried about?
>>
>>8686244

Being an adult (barring wo/manchildren) is the best time to be a fan of anything.
>>
File: 1444562469933.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1444562469933.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>8686477
well the aus threads aren't really an accurate reflection on the cosp. comm either...
protip: they never are, not even lolita generals.
>>
>>8686210
I feel you. I'm pretty much a loner and an outcast. I have some cosplay costumes but since I gained weight I can't fit into them anymore. The only con I went too was Wizard world back in 2001 and that was really boring, but I got some cool merchandise. I like cosplay but it's a very shallow and expensive hobby.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.