[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello biz. I've been thinking for a while that my town

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: punk-show.jpg (51KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
punk-show.jpg
51KB, 480x323px
Hello biz.

I've been thinking for a while that my town needs a dedicated music venue for the booming punk scene here. Currently, we set up in houses/basements where the owners are usually pretty reluctant, and sometimes it is troublesome finding a willing house. I think if there is a dedicated space, we can put our town on the map and draw some bigger name bands

So, there is this club that is relocating due to a dispute they had with their landlord. I would like to consider renting it and turning it into a venue for punk/metal/alt/folk/whatever bands but I... I'm young and have never done anything remotely resembling this. I do have a business degree and would be pretty comfortable with the financial side of things but that's about it

Is anyone willing to help me out here? Anybody have any idea what the monthly rent could be? There is a large banner outside of the club with a phone number but that's it, Google doesn't help. If I do this it would be a massive undertaking and I am unsure where to start. I should also mention that I am pretty confident I could find some angel investors *cough* family members *cough* that would be willing to throw me some bones if I make a solid business plan!

Thanks my friends
>>
>>999682
Contact the old club owners first, find out what sort of dickhead the landlord is and why they had to move.

Perhaps he'll be shitty towards you too and close your business down.
>>
>>999690
Good call. An article online said that there was a dispute over rent
>>
I spend a lot of time as part of a punk scene.

Your clientele is poor, or embellishes being poor, so acting poor.

Because you have a bottom line and business requirements, you will be viewed as the ideological enemy of your clientele. You'll be the despised fat cat who's profiteering off their "movement" while in reality your enterprise will be teetering on collapse each month.
>>
>>999696
This is a fair point, and something I've spent a lot of time thinking about.

It's not just going to be punk though, plus I don't think the kiddos are really that stingy or anti-capitalist. Over the past 2.5 years the scene has exploded and I think ppl would be happy just to have a stable venue.

Also it isn't a huge venue by any means, it'd be smallish shows, I'm thinking covers between 10 and 20 dollars. Now if costs/expenses are too high for that range, I do agree that it would be impossible to sustain

What would be better is a large house that could be a venue, a la many of the places that throw shows in Philly
>>
>>999696
>>999726
Oh and to add to this: it may be possible to convey the venue as a diy/art space and hold other types of events there (first fridays, etc)
>>
check comps in the area on loopnet
>>
>>999696
What would you do on the off nights? I nearly started a weekly night for electronic music but the owner had problems with the landlord for the Venue. The big thing is how to draw money on off nights
>>
>>999682
venues get smashed up all the time from pissed kids who can't handle their drink, and guess who'll be responsible. once that happens, you won't be able to go anywhere and the audience will turn their back on your. source: been there, done that.
>>
>>999760
There are only 10 commercial property listings in my area on loopnet, and none for special purpose/entertainment. So that didn't help unfortunately, thanks tho

>>999815
Very, very good question...
>>
>>999682
try renting a derelict building from the government. That way you can make as much noise as you would like and it doesn't matter if it's gets trashed..

I used to go here many years ago (place is demolished now) It used to be a concrete bunker used to store gas cilinders for the oil industry on an out of use shipyard area.

Government allowed people to do dj things and stuff like that there that were concidered too wild for normal clubs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwgYTuE3aE
>>
>>999864
Damn that looks awesome.
Anybody know of good websites to find abandoned bldgs in the U.S.?
>>
The only way you will make any money running a venue is through alcohol sales. You will probably just barely make ends meet with the cover charges without even paying yourself or any employees out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.