[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ways your fam tbh held you back in life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

File: 1380503744185.jpg (32KB, 558x480px) Image search: [Google]
1380503744185.jpg
32KB, 558x480px
Post how your family held you back from success.

Mine:
>Never taught me ANYTHING about personal finance/investing/markets, etc
>Said meme shit like "You need to be a genius with a million dollars to invest!" when I told them what I learned about investing and tried to talk to them about it
>Constant nagging raised my cortistol and sub-sequentially lowered my testosterone
>>
try r9k
>>
File: 1405825001379.jpg (238KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1405825001379.jpg
238KB, 1280x853px
>>987076
try your local hebrew school you fucking kike
>>
File: image.jpg (216KB, 750x602px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216KB, 750x602px
>>987077
Kek'd harder than I should have
>>
>>987073
If they didn't invest in anything themselves, how did they hold you back? They simple were unaware. Stop crying and pointing towards your parents as the cause of your miserable life.
>>
>>987073

mine
>it didn't

all errors I made that were holding me back were my own.

of course I don't talk to my family about my investments, how is it their business how I make my money as long as I'm happy?

and I don't tell others to invest in this or that either.
>>
>>987073
My parents were the same. I didn't figure this shit out for myself until a friend sat me down and forced me to invest, I was 26 at that time.

Now I'm playing catch up.
>>
File: 1448987713225.jpg (320KB, 702x1118px) Image search: [Google]
1448987713225.jpg
320KB, 702x1118px
>>987073
>Constant nagging raised my cortistol and sub-sequentially lowered my testosterone

OP your clitoris is showing
>>
>>987097
But it's true.

I grew up less manly because of elevated cortisol levels during child hood.

I now have worse facial hair than my peers and only 187cm in height when I probably could've been 190+
>>
>>987099

so you keep crying because you got a booboo while you were younger instead of making the best of it

might as well kill yourself now, it's not gonna get better with that attitude
>>
>>987073

>Mom banged an older guy in high school; accidentally got pregnant with me
>She worked two jobs as a waitress and a secretary as I grew up
>Started working; one year into working her new BF got in an auto accident with her
>Now she is disabled and can't work. On disability.
>I financial support her now. I have no friends.
>I will have to do this for forty or so more years

If I had a time machine I would go back to the 80's and convince my mom to have an abortion .
>>
>>987104
>>I financial support her now. I have no friends.
>>I will have to do this for forty or so more years

>Being this cukked

Why don't you tell her to fuck off? Seriously what do you even have to lose by not supporting her? Inheritance?
>>
>>987105

I love my mother and don't want her to become homeless? :(

There is no inheritance. I think the most she ever made was like $22,000/annual back in the 90's sometime.
>>
>>987109
>There is no inheritance. I think the most she ever made was like $22,000/annual back in the 90's sometime.

PUT HER DIRECTLY INTO THE TRASH

Seriously why even put up with that shit smfh
>>
File: image.jpg (198KB, 675x559px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198KB, 675x559px
>>987109
>I love my mother and don't want her to become homeless?

>tfw I know this feel

Pretty frustrating to be honest family
>>
>>987110

Do you not love your family anon? :(
>>
>>987073
Am 24 y/o right now, thought I should share, this might help some of you fags.

>taught me to look for stable job, was really close of going into banking
>taught me to not push myself too hard, everything will work out
>always doing meme shit like buying homes when markets are hot and soon to stagnate/crash
>always got new cars every 2 years and talked about how the stock market is only for people who have too much time on their hands
>always tried to save money on clothes
>never kept credit high so their loans were always not optimal
>assumed most people make 80k+ right out of college

Anyways, during my last year of college graduating from Economics+CS, I started a company dealing with recordkeeping and managing financial data for local businesses.

I barely made money the first year, and my parents kept telling me meme shit.

However this year and last year, I've made over 450K, of which I have paid off my student debt and put 200k into the market.

Right now I am looking to hire people so I can service more people, because its getting pretty stressful.
>>
>>987073

>provided you with food and shelter
>kept you safe
>only looked out for the best for you you
>didn't raise you in a shit-hole country

you're such a little bitch i'm actually mad right now. unless your parents are poor self-rightous fucks who beat you on a regular basis, which they aren't since you didn't mention that in your shit post, you had a better upbringing than many people could ever imagine.

you don't deserve your parents. kill yourself tonight.
>>
>>987121

I am confirmed for being too stupid to be successful
>>
>>987109
>I love my

number one reason why people don't become successful

nobody can tell you to stop loving somebody, but realize that you can rarely love and be successful.

if you want to be rich you have to let go man. I know it's probably hard on your conscience, but you can't get anywhere without sacrifices.

look at jobs. if he raised his daughter he wouldn't be what he was.
>>
>>987121
How does this help us at all?

>>987120
I like my family a little bit but not enough to cripple myself financially.

>>987129
>Making all these assumptions

You don't even know how it was 3 of 4 are false plus abuse.

>unless your parents are poor self-rightous fucks who beat you on a regular basis, which they aren't since you didn't mention that in your shit post

Except they did and said other bad shit to me as a kid but I didn't want to mention it because I wanted to keep the thread business related.
>>
>>987131

Literally nobody in my family has been successful. I come from white midwestern farmers, construction-working truck-driving hispanics, and olde' Irish immigrants. Nobody on either side of the family has ever gone to college (me included) for as far back as I can trace.

I highly HIGHLY doubt I will become successful. When I look at /biz/ it makes me feel stupid, and I think it's probably because I am stupid.

I never grew up thinking I would be rich, as I was always "the poor kid" in school and got clothes from like Catholic charities and my family lived paycheck to paycheck.

TL;DR version, I will not be successful, so I might as well love my mother ;_;
>>
>>987139
You can become successful, you just need to find your calling.

Anyone can, we all have strengths just different ones.

Your mother is holding you back. Abandon her and start a new life, a successful life.
>>
>>987161

I have a job where I make $60,000/yr which I am constantly patted on the back by my family as I have become the most successful in my family

I basically am satisfied as I have "won" in the eyes in my family

IDK what else to do
>>
>>987164
Start a business, invest your money.

Get out of the cycle of being held back by inferior people, senpai.
>>
>>987164
>IDK what else to do

well, what do you really want to do?
>>
>>987168

I looked into starting a business, but I am retarded and stupid with no education. I want the health insurance I get from my job. If I risk everything and start a company and fail, I would basically have to shotgun myself in the face.

I installed Robinhood for Android so IDK if that counts as investing
>>
>>987173

I haven't had hopes or dreams for as long as I remember. I basically just go to work, come home, post on 4chan, pay my moms bills, sleep, and go back to work.

I think the last time I had dreams was like 10+ years ago in high school when I was retarded and was like "I will work for Nintendo and make mario games" which was a stupid as fuck idea. After I graduated I started working and just sort of work and sleep and work and sleep since then.

When I think "What do I want?" I come up blank. I have been trying since 2014 to figure out something "I want"
>>
>>987179
>when I was retarded

but that's not retarded. why do you think that was retarded?
>>
>>987174
>I looked into starting a business, but I am retarded and stupid with no education

So get one. You have the internet man, it's the age of information. Literally every single semi-popular book is online, absolutely for free.

Man stop having such a defeatist attitude. Stop calling yourself retarded and stopped thinking you can't succeed.

Read. Study. Learn. Do what you need to. Everyone can become successful but not with your defeatist attitude and giving up before even beginning.
>>
>>987182
This tbqh. Haven't psychological studies shown that thinking you will fail makes you more likely to fail?
>>
>>987180

It's just unrealistic.

>>987182
>>987189

Thanks for the kind words but even if I read all the info online, I don't think it's any guarantee of success. I am too scared to go to like sporting events or travel. I've never left this state, and I have been on anti-depressants since I was a pre-teen.

Out of curiosity, why do you say everyone can be successful?

Doesn't that seem silly and unrealistic? Wouldn't everyone be successful if they could just choose to be?

I haven't seen any purpose in "hope" for the past 10 years because it's always false hope.

Thanks for the replies though, you guys are awfully nice.
>>
File: a3257828612_10.jpg (673KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3257828612_10.jpg
673KB, 1200x1200px
>>987202
>Thanks for the kind words but even if I read all the info online, I don't think it's any guarantee of success.

It's not immediate, you have to work hard for years.

But you can either live a "consistent, reliable and safe" life at home, or you can go out there and try to make yourself happy.

>Out of curiosity, why do you say everyone can be successful?
>Doesn't that seem silly and unrealistic? Wouldn't everyone be successful if they could just choose to be?

Anyone CAN be successful, they just need to choose to work hard. Unfortunately many don't want to work hard and prefer the comfy and easy road instead, unfortunately that is also a life of mediocrity and depression.

>I haven't seen any purpose in "hope" for the past 10 years because it's always false hope.

Because you don't take any chances, you don't step out of your comfort zone. Find out what you want from life then put ALL OF YOUR EFFORT into it. Structure your entire life around it, don't do anything that doesn't bring you closer to your goal. You will make it and you will be happy if you want it bad enough.
>>
>>987202
If it was easy everyone would do it. Its hard.

Looking after disabled mom is hard. Probably harder than being successful.

Dont let your defeatist attitude hold you back.
>>
>>987208
>If it was easy everyone would do it. Its hard.

It's not exactly hard, it just requires persistence and not putting yourself down like our man over here.

The "hard" part is just being consistent and studying the same field for years and years and not being distracted by external things.

you just gotta stay focused. Your buddies are calling you asking you to go to the bar on Friday night? Nah that's ok sorry I got to work on my business.

You really want to sleep? - Nope sorry got to finish my work first

Want to play videogames or have some free time? Nope can't got to finish this first then maybe if I have extra time I will.
>>
File: 1448488600472.jpg (13KB, 316x203px) Image search: [Google]
1448488600472.jpg
13KB, 316x203px
I thought about this a lot. I don't hold it against them because they still did a tremendous amount for me, but there are definitely aspects they could've helped me with

>told throughout school that I was intrinsically smart
It was only after high school that I realized how damaging this was. I actually started to believe that I was intrinsically smart, whereas I should have cultivated the values of determination and hard work. If I did poor on a test my mother would say "it's okay, I know you're smart, you just have to show it," but the proper response according to virtually every adolescent psychologist is to say I didn't study enough or practice enough (which is true).

>allowed me to make excuses for myself
This is along the same vein. I always had excuses for why I was wasting my time, I even catch myself a lot doing this as a 21yo, and I wish my parents discouraged this. My dad discouraged it sometimes but he wasn't around nearly as much as my mother who encouraged it.

>allowed me to to waste time playing video games and not studying
I don't really know if this is a valid critique because they did try to confiscate my console and shit numerous times and I would get irrationally mad (because it was the only joy in my young life kek), but I think if they showed dominance early on it wouldn't have happened. I don't know, I think they gave me too much freedom when I was young, to go after whatever pleasures I wanted. What they should have done is allowed me to choose what field / interest to pursue, and then structure that pursuit so that I don't waste time but can still decide my life.

>oscillated between coddling me and getting irrationally mad
I think if they were more consistent with being mad at me / coddling me I would've been more productive and cultivated better habits. Like, they'd be mad at me for a test, and then that night tell me it's alright. I don't know.

Does anyone know this feel? I Wish I had positive role models in my life but I never did.
>>
>>987236
>Does anyone know this feel? I Wish I had positive role models in my life but I never did.

I'm here with you bro.

They pretty much fucked up parenting in every aspect. They got mad and abusive over things that didn't matter at all but let me do whatever for things that DID matter like school and productive hobbies.

Really sucks tbqh.
>>
Families are useless. Look for connections in school and college
>>
>>987282
>Families are useless. Look for connections in school and college

Tips on this? Finishing University soon and haven't made all that many connections...
>>
>>987208
>Looking after disabled mom is hard. Probably harder than being successful.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

is that really the excuse you tell yourself every time you have that nagging feeling that you just aren't becoming anything?

if you were "successful" you could take better care of your disabled mum. but your mom gave up on herself, that's why she's "disabled" which these days is code for fat and lazy. and you picked up on her habits
>>
I'm not buying this "JUST WORK HARD ANYONE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL"

Sounds to me like you are the 10% that actually made it so you are just disillusioned to failure
>>
>>987301
>Sounds to me like you are the 10% that actually made it so you are just disillusioned to failure

Buddy you literally admitted to working your job, taking care of your mom and sleeping.

You don't take ANY chances, you cannot possibly get "lucky" or become successful because you're on the path of least resistance.

You don't even know what failure is like, you've never experienced it because you never got a chance to fail.
>>
>>987285
Do well in classes and talk to professor, bug your career office, help and make friends with the smart students
>>
>>987179
Nintendo seems to be on a hiring spree. It wasn't my dream so I didn't finish their Brazil-esque nine page application. But if you can, maybe you can work there.
>>
>>987179
This is the unanswerable question isn't it?
>>
>>987309

Then tell me what to do, /biz/ D:

I don't want to blindly quit my job and make some business. "WELL IT'S A RISK!" yeah a bad one! I have no clue what I am doing! Even if I read a bunch of books online and managed to do it, chances are I would bomb and lose everything.

With my education level I should only make about $35k/yr USD.... I lucked out with connections and ended up making $60k/yr USD. If I bail on said job there's a pretty damn good chance it would take years worth of climbing back up - or even worse: going to college - to get back to $60k/yr USD

If you have specific suggestions, I am 100% open to them. I just am sick of this "Ohhh work super hard!! Take risks!!! Jerk off a homeless guy and read online eBooks!! I did it, so can you!!" shit that /biz/ likes to spout. It's easy to preach when you are on top of the world. If someone is born to an educated family they can work equally as hard as someone born to a poorfag family, and they will still end up on top. Does it mean the poorfag kid worked less? Hell no; they probably had it a lot harder, too. I bet a majority of /biz/kids are merely products of their environment. I am not belittling the hard work you DID do, but I suspect a lot of it has to do with individual situations rather than "OHH I WORKED REAL HARD AND NOW I AM RICH LOL"

So yeah - specific advice, I will gladly read. Thanks /biz/
>>
>>987212
I agree for the most part but by scheduling properly you can still fit in videogames and being lazy and most importantly: sleep.

This may not work for everyone but it works for me. I go to sleep around 9 or 10 every night and wake up between 5 and 6. I use the morning hours to work on my homework/personal projects, and then go to class. Once class is done, I'm done for the day and I can relax and play videogames till about 9 or 10 when i go to bed.

This works because in the morning my willpower reserves are the highest and I can put off temptations much easier than I can after class when my mental energy is drained somewhat.
>>
>>987372
>It's easy to preach when you are on top of the world. If someone is born to an educated family they can work equally as hard as someone born to a poorfag family, and they will still end up on top

Except this thread is entirely about the opposite and I even mentioned how I didn't learn anything business or finance related, and even got very poor advice I later found to be false.

I never said you had to quit your job, you can work on your business in your freetime until it gets its feet off the ground.

>So yeah - specific advice, I will gladly read. Thanks /biz/

Like what? Do you want one of us to come with a strict business plan for you to follow which is broken down into 5 easy steps to make a successful business? No of course not. The point was you clearly are not happy with your situation you need to start changing it, if you do not it will not improve. You will keep working that job for the rest of your life and being unhappy for the rest of your life.
>>
>>987387
>
Like what? Do you want one of us to come with a strict business plan for you to follow which is broken down into 5 easy steps to make a successful business?

Yes
>>
>>987549
Well that doesn't exist.

I see you do not want to change, enjoy your boring job and boring life.
>>
>>987552

>DO THINGS TO BE HAPPY!!!
>what things?
>DO THEM FAGGOT
>what??
>JUST READ ON THE INTERNET AND WORK HARD I AM NOT GOING TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU!!!!
>well what are you talking about at least?
>OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE LAZY; ENJOY YOUR SHIT LIFE
>ok.jpg
>>
>>987073
Low middle class fag here

My dad drilled a hard work ethic into me, and then ironically walked out on us to go do iowaska on the coast with his new family of firedancing gypsies, which gave me a great negativity to overcome, and freed me to father myself.

My mom taught me to do what I want and strive to make my own path, and then essentially sacrificed herself to keep our household afloat after he left. I am driven by the tremendous debt I owe her (of which she doesn't even know) as I feel obligated to help her retire.

That said I got fucked when I was pushed into college, I could have ~$2,000 more right now which would be a handy bit of extra money to speculate with.
>>
>>987117
I am borrowing this pepe
>>
>>987590
>>What things?

How am i suppose to know? What the fuck do you want me to say? I don't know what you like, I don't know your interests, your hobbies, what you think about before bed, what you think about during the day. I've never even met you or known you personally.

What I'm saying is you need to find what you like and then do what it takes to get there instead of being a sniveling little pussy bitch who wants the safe but prosperous road.

I take back what i said about you not calling yourself retarded, you really a retard. I wasted my time trying to help you, eat a shit covered dick you stupid faggot. Keep living with your mom and keep decaying as a person. How the fuck am I suppose to figure out what kind of things you like from your posts if you can't even do that you absolute fucking moron?
>>
File: kek.gif (499KB, 245x176px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
499KB, 245x176px
>>987601

>interests

I post on 4chan

>hobbies

none

> what you think about before bed

I literally fantasize about different ways of killing myself.

I am not even kidding about any of that.

HELP ME /BIZ/ - I have been told by two MD including a licenses psychiatrist to get professional psychotherapy sessions but that shit is EXPENSIVE and I work like 12 hours a day. On top of that, if I wanted to go, my company requires me to use VACATION time to go.

Tell me about this magic way of starting a business while not quitting my job. How would that even work? Wouldn't that break the non-competition clause I signed?
>>
>>987606
>I literally fantasize about different ways of killing myself.

Go through with it for once in your life.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is more or less instant and painless.
>>
How is this /biz/ related. Are there no janitors on this board?
>>
>>987607

>GET RICH YOU BITCH
>How? I am poor but I work hard
>OH MY GOD YOU PIECE OF SHIT KILL YOURSELF

I hope you are proud of what you accomplished today. Go run mink oil on your skin or whatever you spend your 500k USD on :'(
>>
>>987614
How can I possibly help you?

You never even told us your goals. You stated your interests as "posting on 4chan" and no hobbies.

Give us something to work with here.
>>
>>987617

Ok fair enough. The thing is I have no goals. I haven't since like 2006.

Do normal people have actual goals?

Maybe I need to use some of that vacation time to see a therapist after all because I literally can't think of anything. I guess I could say something outlandish like "have a million dollars" but I doubt it would make me happy.
>>
>>987625

start with a small goal like save $1,000. then take that money and buy something you think you can sell for a higher price. It could be waterbottles to sell at the beach or some shit like that.
>>
>>987633

I have like $10,000 right now because I don't buy anything but I keep making money

I've never seen a beach before. Or a mountain :|
>>
>>987073
This thread again?

You guys realize that no matter how valid your resentments or justified your excuses that it doesnt help you achieve your goals even one iota?

Fuck man , when did /r9k/ start leaking its pussy shit in here too
>>
File: Beachandalsoamountain.jpg (247KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
Beachandalsoamountain.jpg
247KB, 640x424px
>>987647

Here you go bud.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.