[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't a trailer a better invesement than renting? Why is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: trailerpark-thumb-520x347-42170.jpg (62KB, 512x342px) Image search: [Google]
trailerpark-thumb-520x347-42170.jpg
62KB, 512x342px
So I am 27 and since I am an autistic virgin loser with no friends so I live with my mom and help financially support her since she is disabled and can't work. Well I think we are going to lose the house this year any ways, so I was looking at buying a trailer. I would basically be able to put down 50%-80% of the full cost of the trailer and pay it off within one to two years. I talked to people about this plan and they all laugh and made fun of my idea to buy a trailer. They said it is trashy and shitty and nobody would ever want to come over and I will never get a girlfriend that way.

So the other alternative is to rent. Renting an apartment cost a lot more and I don't get any ownership of the property. I would also get two less bedrooms and far less square feet, plus attached neighbors.

so /biz/ is buying a trailer a good investment compared to renting? I make about $60,000 a year but I don't want to buy a full-blown house because then I am forever paying on it.

Am I stupid? Should I just rent?
>>
Lot rent is normally high, I believe typically higher than the mortgage of the trailer monthly. Reselling is supposedly a bitch because no one wants to live in a trailer.

A large part of it is that trailers are so cheap because they are built using the absolute cheapest materials and they are not keen on being repaired, changed, etc.

Buy a cheap RV and live in that
>>
>>986414

Trailers depreciate
>>
Also, reminder that if you want to replace an existing mobile home, you'll have to get the old one demolished and hauled away at a not insignificant cost. A trailer parked for more than a few years won't be roadworthy enough to move.
>>
1. how much is a home in your area?

2. if you have savings for the trailer why are you losing the house?

I do not envy your situation but you're not in a corner by any means.
>>
There is nothing stupid about living in a trailer. Unless your lot rent is high.
>>
>>986416
>A large part of it is that trailers are so cheap because they are built using the absolute cheapest materials and they are not keen on being repaired, changed, etc.
They come pretty nice these days, you just have to look for "single module manufactured homes" instead.
>>
>>986414

You are right about renting, it's high as fuck, and an absolute waste.

That being said, not sure you wanna go the trailer route, their seems to be multiple problems.

get like a $100k cluster home. Your mortgage will be like $900 a month.
>>
>>986438

1. Average is $288,000

2. Because I am dumping all of my funds into supporting my mother, nor does she expect me to do so. I could keep this all afloat forever, but I want to have my own place. I can't bring people over here. The house is falling apart and like three rooms are inaccessible/uninhabitable at this point.

Trailer is $17,000 - $25,000

>>986462

What is a cluster home?

Thanks for replies all
>>
>>986489

Alright.

Whats still owed on the mortgage?

Why is the house falling apart?

Your mother is disabled. So who is paying the bulk of her medical costs? (Don't say you, there should be another option here.)

Getting the trailer doesn't end her financial drain on you.
>>
buying a trailer is one of the cheapest and nicest forms of housing, just be careful about the neighborhoods you live in. With 60k a year you could definitely save up enough to buy a decent house while living in the trailer.
>>
>>986414
Lookup "lonnie deals"

Start doing those
>>
the fact that you can't open a trailer park in the country anymore should tell you to stay the fuck away from them.
>>
>>986498

>Whats still owed on the mortgage?

Unsure. She refinanced it a couple times, but it is nowhere near paid off. It would be the opposite.

>Why is the house falling apart?

Because it's an old shitty house and she is disabled. She hoards and also the roof leaks. There's cat shit everywhere. If I clean up, say, the kitchen, then two days later there's wrappers and boxes all over the counters and floor. I work 11-12 hour shifts so after a few years I just gave up cleaning because nobody else would do anything.

>Your mother is disabled. So who is paying the bulk of her medical costs? (Don't say you, there should be another option here.)

Disability pay
>>
>>986533
also don't do this
new regulations will fuck you in the ass.
>>
>>986536

Have you considered renovating the house yourself while your living in it and if feasible start paying down the mortgage? This would be a lot of work and you'd have to ensure that you inherit the house when your mother passes but could be a good move in the long term.
>>
>>986414
There's no trailers in the fucking city kek
>>
>>986547

There are in the US, just need to look for them.

>>986536

That's a sad situation. I'd triple check the calculations you made on the benefit of buying a trailer. Just remember you'd still have to pay rent if your trailer is on a lot (or were you planning on buying some land to put it on?) If it still makes sense then do it.

Also, your mom obviously as many issues. She can't really follow you to your new place otherwise the situation will repeat itself. Unless you are absolutely willing to put your foot down on her messy habits.
>>
>>986543

My mother won't let me get rid of her things she is "collecting" . My mother will be around for another 30 to 40 years.

I am sure financially it makes sense to stay here forever and just pay/fix the house, but I really want my own life. I can't do things like drink alcohol or things a god-damn 27 year old person should be able to do if they please. I could either "break the rules" and live with someone who is angry at me constantly, or move out and my mother can sell this house and get something she can afford with her disability. If I just stay here and support her forever I am going to just inherit this house when she dies in like 2059 but then I will still be in this position where I am essentially a manchild with no friends and his virginity.
>>
>>986536
Is there land available in your area?

I'd say get a cheap camper (something that you can live out of obviously) get some land, have someone dig you a well, or run city water and live out of there.

Property value is what you need and if you have the property and want a house you can build eventually.

I had a uncle who's wife died after being married for 6 years, no kids. He was a dump truck driver. He bought 10 acres, moved in with a camper and did was I said. Built a house after like 10 years of living in the trailer.
>>
>>986594

I would have to move way out of the city to get cheap land

Land in the area is very expensive (suburb land)
>>
>>986587

Really depends on what you want to do and sounds like you want to move out to get away from your mother.

Does the house have a decent sized backyard? Another alternative would be to buy a pre-built granny flat or Bungalow and set it up in the backyard then move into that. You can get them set-up with everything you need so as to not need to go inside the main house.

But honestly man your probably best off renting a one bedroom apartment or moving in with some room mates for a start.
>>
>>986612

>Does the house have a decent sized backyard? Another alternative would be to buy a pre-built granny flat or Bungalow and set it up in the backyard then move into that. You can get them set-up with everything you need so as to not need to go inside the main house.

I don't the city would allow such things. You are fined if you park a car in your yard, and you are fined $4000+ for like expanding your driveway. You are fined for pretty much anything.

I guess I might just rent a one room apartment then, I just hate people so I would hate the neighbors.

Thanks for the replies.
>>
Trailers depreciate like cars. I know a guy who bought an old one and has put over $15K into renovating it. 5 years later, he sold it for only $3K.

You will still pay $150-300/month in lot rent unless you own a plot of land.

If you own a plot of land, the city/county most likely won't let you put a trailer on it unless you live in the country.

Banks don't consider them homes so you can't get a mortgage. You would have to go through the trailer manufacture and deal with their higher than a typical mortgage rate.

You can rent a decent apartment for $1,000 a month. That is $12,000 a year. The chance of buying a good looking trailer for $12,000 is slim to none.

I grew up in a trailer, and it is a shitty way to live. Water never stays warm in the winter, pipes always break, you can't hang anything like a TV on the wall because it will literally tear the cheap ass wall down, floorboards rot quickly especially in models where the washer and dryer vent underneath the trailer instead of out the side, etc. There is absolutely nothing beneficial about buying a trailer, not even cost wise. You're gonna constantly be replacing burst pipes every Winter, dealing with shitty trailer parks surrounded by old nosy poor retired people and trashy families with 6 kids that live next door and have no respect for your yard.

What is your credit score like? You can find a cheap house with a monthly mortgage payment of less than $1,000/month in almost every location. Live in it and put some sweat equity in it. Pay as much as you can each month. My first house had a monthly mortgage/insurance bill of $450 but I paid $1,500 a month instead of spending that money on shit I don't need. I had it paid off, renovated the kitchen myself with my Dad, had the drive way paved, added a large deck, and other renovations. I now rent it to a friend of my Brother and his family for $1,150 a month.
>>
>>986700

I have bad credit. Mistakes/stupidity out of high school led to multiple debt court cases and judgements against me. I have $0 debt now, and my credit has recovered, but the credit reports all flag me for said past-stupidity.

Well shit. I guess a trailer isn't such a good idea. I also checked and the local trailer park near me has like 2 stars and all of the people hate the management.

I might have to throw away money on rent or stay here forever
>>
Oh also, what about condos?

Previous time asked:

https://warosu.org/biz/thread/962974
>>
>>987106
Well you said (or seemed to imply) you can't get a mortgage so unless your mom is gonna co-sign, no beans.
>>
>>987115

LOL no my mom had bankruptcy twice. She cannot cosign. Her credit is likely 300-400 points below mine. I think mine was like a 600-700?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.